PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Presents (PG-13)

sydsvaughn
28th May 2003, 18:53
Title: Birthday Presents
Author: SaraC
Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: Futurefic but mentions of "Ryan"
Summary: Lex's birthday party has interesting results

Disclaimer: Not mine. Never will be.

AN: This is hardcore FLUFF. I wrote it quickly for Galen to make her feel better. Hope it works and makes you smile at how FLUFFY this is. (I know, the angst muse is killing me at the moment but heaven forbid I don't do my part to make someone in need smile!)

~*~*~*~*~

"Remind me again why I'm doing this?"

Chloe Luthor smiled at Lois Kent's frustrated groan. "You're doing this because you don't want to be shown up by your cousin in the kitchen." Lois's bark of laughter only made her smile widen.

"Right, because Chloe Luthor cooking for her husband is something I feel threatened by," her cousin grumbled good-naturedly as she continued slicing strawberries into quarters.

"Come on Lois, just picture the expression on Clark's face when you tell him you made him a strawberry pie using his mother's famous recipe." The evil glee on Chloe's face was not lost on Lois.

"You are evil Chloe Luthor, bringing up the one thing you know terrifies the Man of Steel," Lois muttered under her breath, although with a smile.

"Yep, wonder what all those evil masterminds would say if they knew all it took to get Superman to falter was to threaten him with his wife's cooking?" Both women looked at each other before bursting into helpless laughter.

"Hey, it can't be as bad as telling people you learned to cook eggs from a ghost," Chloe said, unable to avoid one last jibe. She dodged the piece of strawberry that Lois threw at her in frustration.

"You know, if you two can't get along, I might have to separate you."

Both women whirled around at the familiar voice. With a whoop of joy, Chloe bolted across the room and threw herself in her husband's arms.

Lex staggered for a moment as the full weight of his wife impacted with his frame. He quickly recovered however and leaned down to capture the lips he'd missed desperately the past few days.

Chloe sighed into the kiss, which deepened seconds later. She wrapped her arms tightly around Lex's neck as she poured into the kiss all the passion and desire she'd been holding back for the two days he'd been away.

Lex moaned quietly into her mouth as his arms pulled her tight against his body, pressing them together with a delicious friction that nearly made him whimper. His hands skimmed up and down her back, finally tangling in her now shoulder length hair and tilting his mouth to deepen and change the angle of the kiss. The sound of a loud cough finally brought them out of their desire filled stupor as they pulled back, panting for breath.

"Get a room you guys, its not like you don't have plenty here, geesh," Lois muttered, although the huge smile on her face negated the ire in her words.

Chloe and Lex smiled at each other before turning as one to face the other woman.

"Can I help it if I've missed my wife?" Lex smiled as he pulled Chloe tighter to his side. "Besides Lois, you can't tell me you don't do the same with Clark each time he returns from saving the world, can you?" He smiled at the sigh and nod of concession he received from his wife's cousin.

"Point. But how am I supposed to finish this with you two ready to ravage each other on the kitchen counter," she muttered, turning back to her strawberries, thus missing the evil look Lex shot his wife.

"Behave! We have guests arriving in a half hour," Chloe hissed, even as Lex stole another long kiss. Sighing, she relaxed into his arms and basked in the contentment of being a well-loved woman.

"Yes, refresh me again why you insisted on inviting our family and friends to celebrate my turning a year older?" He knew she could hear the amusement in his voice and hopefully, would not take offense.

Chloe laughed as she pulled away from him and dragged him with her back to the mixing bowl she'd been throwing ingredients into before he'd arrived. "Because you deserve a celebration- and the gifts aren't too bad either," she teased as she dropped his hand and reached for the flour she'd been measuring out earlier.

"You know there would be nothing to celebrate if you hadn't accepted my marriage proposal a little more than a year ago," he husked, placing his hands on her waist as she shivered and tried to ignore the desire settling into a steady burn through her body.

"You're a lucky man Lex Luthor, don't you forget it," she whispered back, leaning up to claim yet another quick kiss. He groaned in frustration as she pulled away from him with a wink. "Now, I really have to finish this before the guests arrive so you can either help or make yourself scarce."

Lex looked from her face to the bowl in front of her with a confused expression. "Why are you cooking anyhow, Chloe? I thought you were going to have this thing catered?"

Chloe laughed at the muttered 'I thought so too' that came from her cousin halfway across the room. Lex turned to look at Lois and a terrified expression came over his face. "Even more importantly, why is Lois cooking?"

His wife burst into uncontrollable laughter as another piece of strawberry came flying across the counter at them both. Lex ducked and pulled Chloe with him before shooting Lois a wounded look. "What was that for?" The teasing tone in his voice drew an irritated huff from Lois and an amused laugh from Chloe.

"Fine, I know no one believes I can cook, I don't even know why I'm attempting this, but I suggest you ask your wife Lex, she started it all," Lois muttered again as she went in search of sugar.

"Chloe, you want to tell me what you did that drove Lois to this?" He ducked this time as his wife flung a pinch of flour at his face. He sneezed as it landed against the shoulder of his suit jacket.

"I wanted to bake you a chocolate cake for your birthday," she finally muttered as she turned back to her mixing bowl. "The caterers are taking care of everything else, but I wanted to make this personally for you."

Lex felt something in his heart twist as he heard her confession, amazed that this remarkable woman had chosen to spend the rest of her life with him. Not to mention the significance of the fact she was making 'chocolate' cake. His body hardened at the memories of the last time they'd consumed the delicacy.

Chloe smiled to herself as she easily read the expression on her husband's face. It was the exact reaction she'd hoped for, although she wouldn't get to take advantage of it until after all their guests had left.

"Oh it's going to get personal Chloe, even more so than before," Lex whispered against her ear, lightly pressing his body against her back, allowing her to feel how aroused he was at the thought.

"Excuse me, other person in the kitchen!"

Lois's amused call brought them both out of their stupor and with a small smile, Lex kissed his wife once more before heading upstairs to change. Before he could make it to the door, however, he turned back with one more question.

"Chloe, that still doesn't explain Lois-" He stopped as Lois shot him a death glare.

"Lois didn't want Clark to hear I'd made you something special without having something to offer herself." Chloe smiled at Lois's irritated huff. "You know that competitive streak we've got going here," she finished, dodging the sponge Lois tossed this time. Lex's laughter echoed through the kitchen as he disappeared out the door.

"You are so going to pay for that Chloe," Lois muttered as she blew a piece of hair out of her eyes and continued mixing the strawberries and sugar in a bowl.

"Come on Lois, lighten up. You know Clark is going to love you no matter what you do. Even if it does involve massacring his mother's strawberry pie recipe."

"What was that I heard about my mother's pie?"

This time it was Lois's turn to smile as her husband flew- literally- into the room and came to land directly behind his wife. Still amazed at the knowledge one of her best friends was Superman- let alone he could fly, Chloe watched with affection as her cousin turned into Clark's arms and the two engaged in a kiss that could have rivaled hers and Lex's of earlier.

When they finally broke apart, Clark turned to shoot Chloe a smile without removing his arms from his wife's waist. "Now what were you saying about pie?" He suddenly noted what Lois had been doing before he arrived. The expression of puzzlement on his face was nearly comical. "Are those strawberries? Lois, you're cooking?" The rapid train of words and the horrified tone they were delivered in made Chloe laugh and Lois frown.

"Well, you could be a little more supportive," Lois muttered as Clark tried to change his expression.

"I'm sorry honey, it's just that, well, do you remember what happened the last time you tried to cook?" The worry in his voice finally earned him a genuine smile.

"Yes I do, but I promise you, there's no ghosts here in the mansion." Clark's sigh of relief was audible to both women.

"All right, but you know, mom will be here soon so if you need help-"

"OUT!" Lois loved her husband but all these attacks on her culinary skills were trying her patience.

"Clark, I'd go find Lex before she attempts to shoot you," Chloe called as Clark smiled and placed a quick kiss on his wife's cheek before turning to leave.

"She'd probably find a way to do it," he muttered before ducking out the door to avoid the strawberry that came flying towards his head.

"I hope the maids don't wonder too much when they find strawberry pieces scattered all over the floor," Chloe teased as Lois shot her an evil glare.

"Just stuff if Luthor and finish your cake, which might I add is sadly lacking far behind my pie."

Chloe frowned as she realized Lois was right. Turning her attention back to the recipe in front of her, she got down to work, thankful no one had remembered that she was not exactly a whiz in the kitchen either.

~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later the once lonely mansion was filled with the laughter and chatter of Lex and Chloe's closest friends and family. The newest Mrs. Luthor smiled to herself from where she stood by the fireplace, watching those she loved around her.

Jonathan and Gabe were in one corner avidly discussing the latest victory of Smallville's football team and their chances of making the playoffs. Pete was offering a comment every now and as he kept an eye on his and Lana's two-year old son Christopher, who had discovered the wonders of Lex's favorite chess board and was being humored by Lionel, the latter attempting to play a game with the former.

To everyone's surprise, Lionel Luthor had accepted his son's marriage to Chloe with a delight that had thoroughly scared everyone that knew him. It probably helped that Chloe had sat him down for a heart to heart discussion before hand, which had turned into more of a yelling match, and explained that things were going to change now that a female had been introduced into the Luthor clan. Lex got a smile on his face every time he remembered his father's stunned look at being talked to so forwardly.

Since that day however, his relationship with his father and brother had enormously. It also helped that Lionel stopped his attempts to take over LexCorp and accepted that his son was his own man. Things would never be like they were with Clark and Jonathan but they were better than they had been in years and for that, he would be forever grateful to his wife.

Lucas and his latest girlfriend were engaged in a serious make-out session in a third corner of the room, much to the amusement of their friends and family. Lucas was legendary for having a different woman on his arm at every family function and most of them despaired of him ever settling down.

Martha and Lana were settled on one of the many couches in the room, discussing recipes and decorating tips as they followed Pete's example and kept their doting eyes on Christopher.

Chloe smiled to herself as her gaze turned to the child and she thought about the birthday gift she was going to give Lex when they were alone later that night. She had a feeling he was going to be pretty ecstatic with it.

"What are you smiling about?"

Lex slid up behind his wife and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her back to rest comfortably against his body. He sighed and allowed himself to relax completely for the first time tonight. He was happy to see his family and friends enjoying themselves but he really, really wanted to spend some alone time with his wife. Two days was far too long to be without her.

Chloe relaxed into his embrace, enjoying the familiar scent that always seemed to surround Lex. She too was enjoying having their friends and family celebrate with them but as the evening grew longer, she found herself contemplating ways to get Lex alone so they could make up for lost time.

"You going to answer me or do I have to turn rough to get it out of you?" If he'd been facing her, he would have seen the evil smile that crossed her face.

"I'd much prefer to get you 'into' me Lex and the rougher the better." She delivered the line in a casual voice that was only audible to his ears. The low moan against her ear told him her words had the desired effect- not that she couldn't tell from the way he hardened against her back.

"Don't make promises you're not prepared to keep Mrs. Luthor." Lex knew his reply was hoarse but he was struggling not to simply drag her from the room and into the nearest closet. "We could always just disappear for a while, no one would know-"

"But Lex," Chloe cooed, even as she lightly pressed back against him, "you haven't even opened your birthday presents yet or had the chocolate cake I slaved for hours over."

Lex groaned quietly as she turned and placed a quick kiss against his cheek before moving away. "But it can't hurt to hurry things up!" His frustration turned into an evil smile as he saw his wife clap his hands to draw everyone's attention.

"Okay people, its time for the birthday boy to open his presents!"

Chloe smiled as everyone gathered around, taking seats on every available surface. Moving to the small stack of gifts on a table next to the window she selected a brightly wrapped gift that she knew came from Pete and Lana. Walking back over to where Lex sat in one of the overstuffed chairs, she perched on its arm and handed him the gift.

"Okay Lex, let's see what Pete, Lana and Christopher got you for your birthday."

"You don't think it's anything pink, do you?" He whispered the words to Chloe who choked down her laughter and shrugged. Ripping off the wrapping paper like a child, he smiled as Christopher toddled over and tugged on his pant leg. Reaching down with his free hand, he lifted the small child until he was perched on his knee.

"So you want to help Uncle Lex open his present?" Getting an eager nod, he surrendered the box to the avid two-year old who, with Lex's help, tugged the lid off to reveal several unusual items. Drawing out the first, he found himself looking at a pair of framed parking tickets. Both of them had huge X's on them and the word "forgiven" written on them. Looking curiously at Pete, the young man shrugged.

"You had quite a few parking tickets during your younger years in Metropolis and Smallville." The room burst into laughter, including Lex who smiled wryly and nodded. "I had my mom dig up a few unpaid ones for me and convinced her to 'forgive' them, symbolizing that this Ross at least has come to see that even a Luthor deserves a second chance."

Lex offered Pete a genuine smile and a 'thank you,' knowing how hard it had been for the young man to accept him when he'd married Chloe. While they'd developed a better relationship over the past few years, thanks to Chloe's efforts, the gift and the words meant more to him than the young man would ever know.

Chloe smiled at Pete, fighting back tears as she realized the war between her husband and friend was finally over. Turning back to him, she watched as he pulled out the second item in the box. She burst into laughter when she read the label and noted Lex's confused look.

"Pure, Columbian Coffee?? Isn't my wife the one with the caffine addiction?" He was amused to see the brunette blush as Lana offered an explanation.

"Actually, I figured this would probably be the first time I ever got a coffee order of yours right, black with nothing in it," she admitted sheepishly as the room burst into laughter.

"I think she's right Lex, you remember how many lattes you suffered through without complaining?" Clark's good-humored joke earned him a laugh from Lex and balled napkin thrown at his face from Lana.

"Thank you Lana, I appreciate the gesture," Lex returned, trying to ignore Chloe's shaking body as she laughed silently against him, obviously remembering some of the less flattering conversations they'd had about Lana and her seeming inability to get him his correct order. Luckily, he'd mellowed with age and under Chloe's influence, had learned to accept whatever he was given gracefully. But he could still laugh about it in private with his wife.

He reached to put the box down on the floor when he felt Christopher tugging on his arm. Turning to look at the boy perched in his lap, he found the toddler reaching for the box. Moving it back into reach, he was surprised to note one other thing buried underneath the tissue paper.

Reaching carefully to draw it out, he found himself holding a small, stuffed teddy bear. He shot a quick look at Chloe when he heard her indrawn breath, making a note to ask her why her eyes suddenly sparkled as if she knew something he didn't. Looking curiously at Pete and Lana for an explanation he found them both smiling.

"That's from Christopher," Pete began as the young boy grabbed the bear and hugged it to his chest. He then thrust the bear at Lex with an expectant look on his face and stated in a clear voice "Bue." Lex, unable to resist the expression, took the bear and mimicked the child's action, earning a huge smile and a gurgle of laughter in reward.

Chloe felt her eyes water as she watched her powerful husband hugging a teddy bear. The image was one she knew she would never forget, nor would most of the rest of the room if the varying expressions of shock she could read on the faces were anything to go by.

"He's got his own bear he calls "Bue" that he likes to cuddle when he's upset or missing one of us," Lana went on as her son smiled up at Lex. "We were shopping the other day for the coffee and he pulled the bear off the shelf and told us and this is a direct quote "Lex need Bue," she paused as the room burst into laughter, including Lex.

"I think he's heard Aunt Chloe complaining about how lonely she is when you're gone or vice versa and this was his way of making sure you had some company on those business trips," Pete finished as Lex's laughter deepened as he turned his gaze to Chloe.

"Guess I know who I'll be cuddling with at night," he whispered evilly as she coughed to hide her laughter.

"Guess I'll be taking back those furry handcuffs I bought the other night now that you have your own 'Bue,'" she whispered back as it was his turn to choke. Smiling at his expression, she moved over to the table again and picked up a large box before bringing it back and setting it lightly on his lap.

"This is from your father and Lucas," she offered with a smile as the elder Luthor shot the youngest a wry look. Lex too shot his father and brother a surprised look, knowing full well that Lionel had already given Lex his present- a huge business deal that would keep LexCorp running for years to come. It had been an unexpected gift since it had been assumed the business would go to LuthorCorp. Lex still didn't know what to think but something told him that this was his father's way of telling him things were finally okay between them.

Opening the box, tied only with a bow, he reached in and pulled out two airline tickets. With a curious look at his brother and father, he opened them to find the tickets made out in his and Chloe's name to Athens, Greece. His eyes widened as the significance of the gift registered.

"We figured it was about time you actually visited the place dad kept pounding into your head as a kid during those 'emperor' lessons. Why not send Alexander Luthor to roam the places his namesake once ruled?" Lucas laughed at the wry look his brother shot him.

"I'm glad you at least thought to send my wife with me," he offered with a genuine smile as Chloe literally pulsed with excitement next to him.

"Damn right they did, you're not heading to the land of your namesake without your own empress on your arm," she offered cheekily as the room and Lex burst into laughter. Even Lionel's smile was heartfelt. Still excited about the prospect of traveling with Lex to a place neither of them had ever been, she went back to the gift table and grabbed the box containing the gift she knew was from Martha and Jonathan Kent.

"Okay, let's see what Martha and Jonathan have in store for you," she said as she returned to her position at his side. Lex smiled at his wife as he took the gift and then turned the smile on its givers. Unwrapping the present carefully, he found a small square box and a photo album.

Pulling the album from the box, he opened it to find a baby picture of himself. Turning the pages, his breath caught as he saw pictures of his mother and father with him as he grew, the memories suddenly looming in his mind. As the album progressed, pictures of Clark and Chloe began to fill the pages, along with the Kents and Lois and Lucas. It ended with their wedding pictures and a blank page simply labeled "more to come."

"I thought you'd enjoy the look back at your life and the remarkable people in it. And there's plenty of space for what's to come." He raised his eyes at Martha's soft voice and struggled to speak around the lump in his throat.

"I don't know what to say except I can't thank you enough for this Martha." The words were a bit hoarse and he found himself glad of Chloe's steadying hand on his shoulders as he gazed at the woman who had been the closest to a mother he'd ever had.

"You were a cute baby Lex, I don't know when that changed." Chloe's teasing words had the desired reaction as the room burst into laughter and Lex shot his wife a grateful gaze before turning to the smaller box still waiting to be opened. Curiously, he pulled off the cover to find a beautiful sliver compass. He swallowed hard as he turned his gaze to the senior Kent.

"I gave you a compass once Lex, and I hope you remember what I told you that day it symbolized to the Kent family men." Lex felt his throat close as Jonathan's spoke, obviously remembering the last time they'd had this conversation and what had happened after it. "I know that compass was lost, not through your own fault, but you somehow found your way back down the aisle with the right woman." Lex dragged his eyes from Jonathan to Chloe and found his wife also had tears at the back of her eyes. Reaching up, he grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly.

"I meant to give you that on your wedding day to Chloe, but I thought at the time it might not exactly bring to mind happy memories, for any of us," Jonathan smiled as Lex nodded wryly and Clark sent his father an understanding glance. "I figure since it's been more than a year now and you seem even happier with Chloe, this compass will serve the same purpose, only now it will lead you home to Chloe and your extended family here in Smallville."

Lex couldn't speak as he read the pride in Jonathan Kent's eyes. For so long he'd wanted to see that look in them and to finally achieve it was worth even more than the compass. Chloe smiled as she squeezed his hand, knowing how much Jonathan Kent's approval meant to Lex.

"Thank you Jonathan, you don't know how much this means." It was a rather simple statement for Lex but the smile he received in return told him Jonathan understood and nothing more needed to be said.

"Okay, enough with the emotion, not that it's not a good thing," Chloe called, wiping her eyes and giving Lex's hand another squeeze before returning to the table and grabbing the last wrapped box on it. "This is from Lois and Clark, and I'm betting its gonna be good," she teased as Lex arched an eyebrow as he took the box from her hands.

"This doesn't involve food of any kind, does it?" Chloe burst into laughter at the amused yet irritated look Lois sent them at Lex's apprehensive words.

"No it doesn't, but if one more person mentions my lack of cooking skills, someone is going to end up with a strawberry pie in their face." The words drew a shudder from Clark and Chloe made a mental note to ask her friend if this had actually happened to him. Knowing Lois, she did not doubt it had.

Lex simply smiled at his friends as he opened the box. He began to laugh as he pulled out a video tape labled "A Picture of Lex Luthor: Ladies Man, Man's Man, Man About Town." He shot Clark a quick glance and found his friend with a stupid smile on his face.

"You didn't think all that archive footage the papers and TV stations have on you was meant to just remain lying around, did you?" Clark laughed harder at the perfect way Lex raised both his eyebrows in reply.

"Don't look so annoyed Lex, it's nothing people haven't already seen, although I had a friend of mine make it into more of a music video for you and Chloe," Lois added as Chloe's ears perked up.

"A music video of Lex's life, should I be scared or flattered?" Lex hit her lightly on the arm as Lois and Clark smiled evilly at each other. "Let's just say if you've forgotten what Club Zero or that underground cave rave during our sophomore year looked like, you're in for a memory boost," Clark snickered as Pete choked on the sip of his drink he'd just taken.

Lex and Chloe looked at each other before shuddering lightly. "I think we'll be watching this a little later, when everyone's gone home," Chloe stated carefully, commandeering the tape from Lex's hand and ignoring his pout. "Now keep digging, I think there's more in there," she nudged as he turned his gaze back to the box.

Moving aside the tissue paper, Lex broke out into a huge grin as he pulled out the DVDs of the first through fourth seasons of "Angel." Looking over at his friends, he noted they were both smiling at him and Chloe.

"Well, watching the damn show was what brought us together and without those "Angel" nights, I don't think either you or I would have gotten the guts up to propose," Clark offered with a small grin as Lois smirked at him.

Chloe, for her part, could only smile and lean against Lex's shoulder as her husband nodded at the younger man before turning to smile up at her. "He's got a point, but I swear if you start going on about Lindsey and his damn hand-" She cut off his rant with a quick kiss, oblivious to the laughter coming from Lois and Clark and the confused yet amused looks of their friends and family.

When they finally parted for breath, Lex smiled at his wife and turned to pull her into his lap until his eye caught on something bright that was hiding at the very bottom of the box. Leaning against her, he reached for the item, feeling his breathing grow shallow as he realized what it was. Swallowing at the memories, he lifted out the newest edition of "Warrior Angel." But upon closer look, he realized that there was something different about this edition.

Flipping it open to the first page, his eyes grew wide as he recognized several familiar faces gracing the pages. Paging through the story his eyes grew bright with unshed tears. Looking up at Clark, he found himself unable to speak. Clark, for his part, was struggling to find the words to explain.

Chloe looked between the two, wondering what was going on. She knew the significance of the comic, but there was something more here. Especially since to her untrained eye, this comic looked to have the images of Lex, Clark and Ryan embedded into its pages.

"A few months ago, I wrote to the writer and told him the story of you, me and Ryan," Clark began as the room fell quiet at the memories the name invoked. "I asked him if he could put it into a special edition, just for you, along with a few things Ryan said to me and you during his time with us. Flip to the last few pages Lex," he ordered quietly as Lex did as he was told. His eyes widened as he read the words that went along with the heartbraking pictures.

"I made Ryan a promise to look out for you, to make sure you and I did not end up chosing different paths." He stopped as the understaing dawned in Lex's eyes. "I'd like to think he would be proud of where we've both ended up."

Lex didn't know how to answer and he could barely see from the mist that had gathered in his eyes. He'd never told anyone, not even Chloe, how special Ryan had been to him, even though they'd only known each other for a few days. Not to mention he often found himself thinking of his discussion with the young boy on chosing a path to evil or good. He'd suspected the young boy could read minds and from Clark's words, knew Ryan must have read some of the doubts and fears he'd had at the time, including if his and Clark's friendship would survive the rough times he had known were ahead.

Suddenly, he was extremely glad of the path he'd chosen and the friends he'd met along the way. Ryan had been right and Lex would be damned if he'd ever prove him wrong.

"Thanks Clark, for more than you know," Lex offered carefully, saying more with the words than anyone could understand. Clark simply nodded and wiped away his own tear as Lois slid her arm around his waist.

Chloe knew there was more to Clark and Lex's exchange but she was content to let it rest for the moment. The mood had become too serious and it was time to lighten it up once again.

"Okay, now that the birthday boy has received all his gifts, it's time for the cake!" Motioning to the maid that had been hovering in the background, everyone ooohed and ahhed as the large chocolate cake Chloe had slaved over was brought into the room. Lex's eyebrows rose as he noted the large number of candles that decorated the top and with a sly smile, immediately began to make his wish.

"Don't you dare make a wish until we've sung," Chloe hissed in his ear, reading his expression too well as she began a very off-key rendition of "Happy Birthday." Lex tried not to wince as everyone joined in enthusiastically, although the sight of his father singing heartily nearly made him choke on his tongue as he bit it to keep from expressing his shock.

When it was over, he looked to his wife for permission and with one deep breath, made his wish and blew out all the candles. Cheers and whistles accompanied the act and he found himself smiling with delight at noting every last flame had gone out.

"Not bad for an old man," Chloe whispered in his ear, giving him a light peck on the lips as the maid took the cake away to be cut.

"I'll show you old," Lex muttered with an evil smile as he decided to screw their audience and pulled her off the edge of the chair and into his lap, giving her a real kiss that had many of those in the room clearing their throats. Loudly.

When they finally parted for air, Chloe found herself dizzy and light-headed while her body cried out for more. Giving him a longing look, she pulled herself from his lap and took the cake that was being offered. She smiled as she watched Clark take a hesitant bite out of Lois's strawberry pie. The smile turned to a delighted laugh at the amazed expression that crossed his features as Lois beamed at the reaction.

"You know, Chloe, you haven't given me my present yet," Lex pouted nicely, amused as well to note whom she'd been gazing at. He was glad Lois's pie had turned out well but he was more interested in his wife's creation as she held a piece of cake to his lips. Looking trepidatiously at her, he opened his mouth and sucked in the morsel, surprised to find it tasted wonderful."This is good, Chloe," he muttered in amazment as his wife laughed.

"Glad you like the first part of your present," she said with a smirk as she fed him another bite.

"You mean there's more? What?" He was eager to find out what exactly she had in store for him, suspecting it was a gift that could not be given in their present company.

"Patience Lex, all good things come to those who wait," she murmured as he pretended to shudder in horror.

"I'd much rather have my cake and eat it too," he whispered in her ear, delighted as she blushed at the tone of his voice.

"If you're a good boy you'll get the rest of my present- and the rest of your cake- when everyone goes home," she said, feeding him another bite. Lex made a mental note to get everyone out of the mansion as soon as they'd finished desert.

However, things as always, did not go according to plan and it was several hours later before the last guest had been shown to the door and bid good-bye. Lex felt the anticipation in his step as he bounded up the stairs towards the master bedroom, already anticipating the feel of his wife in his arms. He came to a stop in the doorway at the sight that greeted him.

Chloe reclined on their bed wearing in nothing but a sheer black lace bra and panties. Her hair fell in waves to her shoulders and a piece of chocolate cake sat on the bedside table. He swallowed hard at the look in her eyes.

"If that's my present, I hope you're ready to be unwrapped," he muttered as he kicked the door closed and pulled his shirt over his head, dropping it to the floor as he kicked off his shoes and pushed his pants to floor before shrugging them off.

Chloe watched him with heavy-lidded eyes, biting her lip as her body grew warmer at the flesh that was being revealed to her eager gaze. He was clad in nothing but black silk boxers when he reached her and without further ado, pulled her into his arms for a devastating kiss. Her hands locked around his neck as she pulled him on top of her, reveling in the feel of his heated skin sliding against hers.

"You feel so good Chloe, it's been too long," Lex husked as he began nipping at the sensitive spot underneath her ear that he knew drove her wild. Chloe moaned and arched against him, her hands sliding to his waist and into his boxers until she cupped his hardness in her eager hand.

"Now Lex, slow later," she gasped as she felt him push aside her panties and slip two fingers inside her to make sure she was ready. With a harsh moan and one quick thrust, he was buried deep inside her body. The feeling was exquisite as she arched against him, taking him deeper and deeper.

Lex was struggling for control but her breathy moans were fast sapping all of it. When he felt her dig her nails into his back, raking them down the muscles and skin with a fervor that told him how far gone she was, he allowed himself to let go as well. Slamming into her again and again, his cries matched hers as they built to a massive crescendo.

Chloe screamed his name as she convulsed around him, feeling him release inside her in a series of powerful thrusts, her name sounding like a prayer as he chanted it over and over. When they'd both calmed enough to think coherently, Lex carefully withdrew from her and rolled to his side, pulling her with him until she was tangled around him.

"I'm really glad you didn't decide to give me my birthday present in front of everyone. I don't think they could have handled it." He whispered the words against her head as she smiled and raised her head to meet his.

"I've got one more gift for you," she whispered, seeing the curiosity in his eyes.

"Do tell, and when do I get to see it- or better yet- open it?" His teasing tone made her smile widen as she pulled back enough to place a slight bit of distance between them. At his frown, she smiled and grabbed his hand, pulling it until it rested over her stomach.

"I'd say within about nine months, give or take a few weeks." She held her breath as her words registered. Watching his face, she felt her heart burst with happiness at the pure joy that suddenly appeared in his eyes.

"We're- You're- I'm going to be-"

Leaning up to kiss him softly she brushed away the tear that slid down his cheek. "Happy Birthday Soon-To-Be-Daddy," she whispered as his arms tightened around her and he clutched her to his side.

"I'm going to be a Daddy," he whispered almost brokenly against her hair as he allowed the joy to sweep over him. Pulling Chloe closer he realized in that moment that everything he'd ever done in his life had led up to this moment. "I'm going to be the best Daddy our child could ever have," he whispered quietly, as Chloe hummed and snuggled more comfortably against him.

"I know." The simple words whispered as she drifted off to sleep gave him a peace he hadn't known he needed. Muttering a prayer of thanks for whomever had given him Chloe, he snuggled her closer and closed his eyes. He knew now that he would never regret the path he'd chosen- or the people he'd chosen to travel it with.

"Thanks for looking out for me, and for us Ryan," he whispered as he drifted off to sleep, his wife held securely in his arms, his arms curled protectively across her stomach.

And somewhere in the sky above, a sandy haired boy looked down on the sleeping couple with a smile and whispered "you're welcome."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The End

AN: I know, sickeningly sweet, but hopefully, it'll make Galen and some other readers feel a little happier for a few moments!

Sara (off to work now on her angst)

nessa
28th May 2003, 23:03
You're right that was sweet but I like it. Sometimes it's good to read something fluffy and optimistic. Good work!!! :biggrin:

Sway
29th May 2003, 14:11
that was such a sweet fic. those presents were so well thought out.

drina
29th May 2003, 15:40
Great story. enjoy all of it and i think the gifts are so thoughtful

Warunee
30th May 2003, 01:47
Wow. *sniffles*

That was wonderful. Really wonderful . The ending was too sweet.

Queen Of Tact
30th May 2003, 09:33
AWWWW I loved it!!!! It was so sweet and wonderful!!!! Plus it had some Angel talk in it... (Grrr though I'm still mad at stupid ME.... How can they just take my Cordelia away from me!)

Loved it loved it Loved it!!!

CC :wub:

bluemoongirl23
31st May 2003, 05:53
That was wonderful! So good. And the presents that you can up with were genius! Such a nice, warm fuzzy fic. Great job!

Blue

staysixkid
1st June 2003, 15:31
;) I'm happy. And despite what I sometime say, I adore sweets. :chlexsign3:

autumngold
15th October 2003, 07:18
I just love Chlex fluffy stories! Thanks so much for writing this one! :wub: :chlexsign1:

MandyLuther
23rd November 2003, 18:45
:love:
AWWW! I loved it! They make such a cute couple... It would be so cool is you wrote a sequel. :chlexsign3:

WolviesLover
23rd November 2003, 21:11
Aww, that was sooo cute. Thanks for sharing it with us. :cute:

Robyn
3rd December 2003, 05:03
The food! It fliiiiies! haha Aw I love fluff! So I really loved this story. good job. :chlexsign2:

bluefang
15th January 2006, 00:52
simple sweet and wonderfully fluffy.
happiness =)

Kikina
15th January 2006, 12:30
Nice and fluffy, perfect.Will there be a sequel? :D

Esther25jm
26th August 2006, 06:14
*tears* That was fantastic!! Oh, I love the fluff and this was one of the best Lex/Birthdays I've ever read. Loved it!!

~*~Tasha~*~
28th August 2006, 07:42
Nothing sickeningly sweet about it. It was a nice uplifting piece that gives me nice warm fuzzies. {Smiles} Thank you for writing it, and I enjoyed reading it.

kg99
3rd September 2006, 06:52
Great story.
kg99

starmoon
13th November 2006, 05:20
very sweet loved it.

Kit Merlot
21st December 2008, 17:46
I just reread this story, and realized I never left a comment!

I love that everyone got a happy ending, and that Lex was able to develop a close bond with Lionel and Lucas.

But mostly, I love that no one gave up on Lex: Clark was still his best friend, the Kents were a second family to him, and Chloe loved him so unconditionally.

And Ryan was his guardian angel--Beautiful work:D

daria_103
21st December 2008, 23:19
That was absolutely wonderful, it was so sweet and made me feel all mushy and Christmassy!!

Tanschana
7th January 2009, 13:35
Awww.... nice one!

zal80
11th January 2009, 02:14
Awww..... This is such a cute little fic, they make such a lovely couple.

michaelrosenbaum
11th January 2009, 02:42
Really interesting story so far, glad i found it! thanx for writing!:P

Ami Rose
27th August 2012, 05:14
Awww that was so sweet

ladyfayerie
9th October 2012, 04:34
I love Lionel here :) And Chloe's last gift...wow. I can just imagine how great Lex is as a daddy. Beautiful story! :)