View Full Version : Diamond, 1/1, PG13

kHo
10th October 2005, 10:03
Fandom: Smallville
Title: Diamonds
Pairing: Chloe/Lex
Rated: PG-13 (I think)
Setting: Post-Bound (season 4)
Notes: This is independant of my post-Arrival fic. I just wanted to write a Chloe/Lex fic and this is what came out.

[ diamonds ]
by kHo

“Gee Lex,” she said, crossing her arms and staring down at the floor. “I didn’t realize you were into the occult.”

Lex swallowed the remnants of the Brandy in his glass and turned to face his intruder. “Chloe,” he said, smiling slightly. “I wouldn’t exactly call that an accurate description of the events that took place.”

She smirked up at him and gestured to the charred floor beneath her feet. “She really did a number on you, Lex,” she said, tilting her head. “I mean, everyone knows, if you want to really get under a billionaire’s skin, burn his floor.”

Lex laughed despite himself and looked away. “It’s pretty late, Chloe. Shouldn’t you be at home in bed?”

Chloe dropped her purse on the nearby chair, the tape still hanging off of it in shards, and walked towards him. “Probably.”

He looked at her, raising an eyebrow. “And yet, here you are.”

“You know,” Chloe started, walking past him towards his wetbar, pulling out a glass and opening his decanter of Brandy. “Clark was so determined to prove your innocence he enlisted my help.” She poured a half full glass and replaced the cap before turning back to him, grinning. “Turns out you have quite the checkered past when it comes to one night stands, Lex.”

Lex looked away, leaning back against his desk. “Chloe, it’s late,” he said again, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. “If you need to discuss this, perhaps you could come back tomorrow at a more reasonable hour--”

“No need for discussion,” she said, grimacing slightly as he took a tentative sip. “I just have a question. And wow. Brandy sucks, Lex. How can you drink this crap?”

Lex sighed, reaching out and plucking the glass from her hand, frowning at her. “And I don’t remember offering you a drink, Chloe. If you don’t like it, that’s your fault.”

“Fair enough,” she said, walking so she stood directly in front of him, waiting for him to meet her eyes. “So my question.”

He sighed, rolling his eyes. “Yes. Your question.” He raised an eyebrow at her. “And that would be?”

Chloe’s smile was wide but thin, a poor replica of what was usually a bright beacon. “My question is this, Lex,” she said, spreading her arms. “I don’t rate diamond earrings?”

His eyes met hers in shock. “Chloe--”

“Yes, I do know about your diamond buying habit, Lex,” she said, laughing hollowly. “How many women was it since this summer? Seven? According to your Visa, you’ve bought enough diamond earrings-- expensive ones, too-- over the years to accessorize a small country.”

Lex looked down, his fingers tightening on the edge of his desk. “Chloe--”

“I’m just wondering, what is it a girl has to do to warrant diamonds, Lex,” she asked, her smile finally falling. “Is it just the fact that my hair is the wrong color? Cause, I promise, Lex, if that’s all I’ll go out and dye it right now.” She gritted her teeth and stepped forward. “Might help with my expenses. Since, as you know, my Dad hasn’t been all that financially well off in some time now.” She shrugged, stepping back again. “Might buy me a few textbooks, at least.”

Lex finally looked up, the annoyance that had been on his face now replaced with something bordering on regret. “Chloe, that’s never what we were.”

“Were we something,” Chloe asked, her expression baffled. “Cause I mean, I couldn’t tell.”

He stepped forward, but stopped when she glared at him. “You know we were.”

“No,” she said, her voice pitching low, angry. “No. We were, I thought, becoming something. But we didn’t actually get there, cause just before we got there, you dropped me so fast my head fucking swam!”

He looked away again, his voice a whisper. “It shouldn’t have happened.”

“Fine,” she spat out, trying her hardest to sound flippant and failing miserably as tears of humiliation stung her eyes. “Fine, Lex. So I’ll just take my diamond earrings and you can put me on your database of potential stalkers that want to burn you alive at the stake, and we’ll be done with it!”

“Diamond earrings are beneath you, Chloe,” he said, voice so soft she had to strain to hear him.

She rolled her eyes. “You’re so full of shit.”

“Come on, Chloe, you’re an intelligent girl,” he said, his voice slightly stronger as he met her eyes again. “You know full well what those diamond earrings were intended as.”

“A consolation prize,” she spat out, stepping forward and jabbing her fingernail in his chest. “And I deserve one too. You can’t tell me those women did more than I did, Lex.” Her mouth twisted into a grimace as she glared at him. “No matter how much I’d like to take it back.”

He reached up and took her hand in his, holding it steady when she tried to pull away. “Chloe. You. Were. Not. A. One. Night. Stand.”

She snorted. “One summer stand then.” She shrugged. “Does that mean I get a necklace too? Maybe a bracelet?”

“Alright, Chloe,” he said, dropping her hand and stepping around her, walking over to his desk. “Is that what you want? Compensation?” He picked up his checkbook and looked up at her, challenging her. “Shall I make the check out to you?”

She glared at him. “Fuck you.”

“You’re not listening to reason,” Lex said simply, spreading his arms. “You’re going to brush off anything I have to say. So how much did you want?”

“You’re gonna buy me off,” she hissed, charging towards him and stopping just short of pushing him. “You’re actually gonna try to buy me off?!”

“It’s no different from the earrings, Chloe,” he said softly, looking down at her. “You’re the one who was not two seconds ago mourning the fact that you didn’t receive a pair. I’m simply trying to rectify that.”

“I want to know why,” she yelled, hitting her hand against his chest, shoving him back a few steps. “I want to know why you dropped me and then pretended like nothing happened!”

“We ended things, Chloe,” he said, watching her wearily. “Was I supposed to take out an ad in the paper?”

“There was no we in that, Lex,” she spat out. “You did that. You ended things.”

He leaned against the desk, outward appearance of cool indifference marred only by the pain in his eyes. “We never would have worked here, Chloe. What we had was born out of the situation we were in.”

“I thought I knew you, Lex,” she said, crossing her arms. “Stupid as that was, I thought I was getting to know the real you. The you you don’t show to other people.” She laughed and rolled her eyes to cover the tears she could still feel in them. “And then you go and prove to me what an idiot I can be sometimes.”

“You’re not an idiot, Chloe,” he said softly. “I apologize if I caused you to feel that you were.”

“Why then,” she asked, the anger draining out of her as the exhaustion of holding it in took over. “You owe me that, Lex. Why?”

He looked down at the floor. “It wouldn’t have worked with us.”

She snorted and rolled her eyes. “That is such bullshit, Lex.”

“They never would have understood,” he said, his voice a little more forceful. “This town. Your father. Your friends.” He looked up at her. “Clark.”

She glared at him. “Like I’ve ever given a shit what this town thought about me.”

“No, you never have,” he said with a small smile. “But Clark you do.”

She squinted at him. “So you broke it off because of Clark?”

“I broke it off because it wouldn’t have worked,” he said, his tone clearly marking the end of the discussion.

“Lex, that is the stupidest, most un-Luthor-like answer I have ever--”

“Because you’re in love with Clark, Chloe,” Lex said, finally raising his head and meeting her head on, his eyes boring into her skull. “You’re in love with him.”

She took a step forward but stopped when he held up a hand. “Lex. That doesn’t matter. Clark and me are never gonna happen.” She spread her hands, shaking her head. “I accepted that a long time ago.”

He smirked. “Then why, exactly, did I hear about a certain blonde reporter showing up in Clark’s barn with little else on than his football jersey and a smile?”

Her face blanched and she fumbled to think. “Lex, that was--”

“Proof,” he said, tilting his head and grinning at her, “that I was right to break it off.”

She shook her head. “Lex, that was different. I was under the influence of the meteor rock spiked Gatorade!” She took a step forward. “I never would have--”

“It’s been my experience that those influenced by the meteor rocks don’t do things they didn’t already have the urge to do,” he said, his smile faltering slightly.

Her mouth opened several times before she could speak. “Lex. That’s not fair.” She shook her head, reaching up to run her hand through her hair. “And anyway, you broke it off well before that! Before I even came back here!”

“I’m not good at coming in second, Chloe,” he said, pushing off of the desk and walking past her. “If you know me at all, you know that.”

“The heart actually has the capacity to love more than one man, Lex,” Chloe said, placing a hand on his desk and turning to watch him.

He froze, his hand hanging in the air in an aborted attempt to pour himself another drink. “Chloe.”

“It does.”

He turned to face her, all pretense of being unaffected wiped clean, shock and something like regret written all over his face. “Chloe, what we had, while more than a one night stand, wasn’t love.”

She laughed. “You think I don’t know that,” she asked, walking forward and actually not finding it hard to smile and mean it. “I’m not some pathetic girl that thinks sex is the same thing as love, Lex,” she said, reaching out and wrapping her fingers into his silk shirt. “But it could have been.” She rose her eyebrows. “It could have developed into that.”

He looked down at her, his eyes slightly wide. “Chloe.”

“You’re right, Lex,” she said, stepping closer to him, placing her other hand on his chest. “I love Clark. I always have.” She smiled up at him. “But he doesn’t love me, Lex. Not like that. Does that mean I should write off all men forever? Just because I probably will, yes, always love Clark?”

“Of course not,” he said, shaking his head, his hand coming up to brush the hair out of her face. “But--”

“You know what your real problem is, Lex,” she asked, tilting her head to the side. “You don’t think you’re worth it. That’s what your problem is. Not that you don’t think I could love another man besides Clark, but that you don’t think I could love you.”

He stared down at her, his thumb brushing over her cheek lightly. “If that were the case, would I be wrong?”

She smiled. “I don’t know. Guess you’ll just have to put a little faith in it and see.”

She interrupted his rebuttal with her lips, letting out a sigh of relief when he kissed her back, his fingers winding in her hair and pulling her closer. When he pulled back he was smiling, his eyes caressing her face. “Anyone ever tell you you were pushy?”

She grinned up at him. “Only every single person that’s ever really known me.”

Kit Merlot
10th October 2005, 15:03
This was an interesting story--I liked Chloe's telling off of Lex, and his attempts to be noble because of her feelings for Clark.

But I hope you aren't planning on leaving it there--this story screams for a continuation :grin3:

hfce
10th October 2005, 15:39
That was so good. I felt everything they were saying. This has to be put in the longer section. I can't imagine this to be the end.

Hope :)

starmoon
10th October 2005, 23:03
good story and i am glad that chloe was so pushy her and lex belong together and happy.

star del mar
11th October 2005, 03:08
That was a great story. I'm happy to see that Chloe was able to get Lex to come around, though they're both to stubborn for their own good sometimes. Now maybe that they've both said things that needed to be said they can move on.

Steph*

Sandy
11th October 2005, 19:52
I loved it! *swoon*

“Diamond earrings are beneath you, Chloe,” he said, voice so soft she had to strain to hear him.

I couldn't tell if that was a compliment or an insult... hmmm....

Zannie
14th October 2005, 14:22
Fabulous. You absolutely nailed the dialogue. The give and take between them was perfect Chlex--each one stubbornly clinging to their personality quirks while rousing something new in the other person--and I could actually hear the actors saying the lines, which doesn't happen very often.

He reached up and took her hand in his, holding it steady when she tried to pull away. “Chloe. You. Were. Not. A. One. Night. Stand.”

She snorted. “One summer stand then.” She shrugged. “Does that mean I get a necklace too? Maybe a bracelet?”

Perfect. You did a particularly good job at distinguishing the way Chloe and Lex speak, while still making them both sound natural.

“You know what your real problem is, Lex,” she asked, tilting her head to the side. “You don’t think you’re worth it. That’s what your problem is. Not that you don’t think I could love another man besides Clark, but that you don’t think I could love you.”

This is one of my favorite aspects of Lex's character to explore, and I love how Chloe called him on it. It's really hard to juggle Lex's character--portraying his deeply-rooted insecurities while still making him a strong, self-sustained man--and you did it really well here. I wanted to hug and kick him both, very much as Chloe wants to do, I'm sure.

The backstory you created here fits perfectly into the show's timeline, and it's convincing in a way that a lot of mid-season stories aren't--as if it wouldn't be much of a stretch for this to have happened.

I loved how you ended it. The fact that Chloe forced Lex to admit what was happening was the only way to get things to move forward. At the beginning of the fic, I wasn't expected a happy ending, so I was delighted by the time I got to the end.

kirt30
14th October 2005, 21:16
love it will there be any more

Reese
21st October 2005, 08:13
Wonderful. Excellent. Downright lovely.

Excellent dialogue and very in-character. Loved the Clark-aspect in this one (thank you for not making him out to be the devil or having Chloe swear she doesn't love him just to make Lex happy). Also loved that you managed to sum up so much in such a short story. It was short and yet...enough. :)

Reese

sadie kate
11th February 2006, 05:53
This was really great. You have a wonderful way of capturing them/

Pieper
18th May 2006, 00:37
Great job.

chloedreamer
24th May 2006, 01:58
I understand where Lex was coming from he broke up with Chloe because she was in love with Clark.

micah_luther
24th May 2006, 12:53
It was good, very Chlex. Keep it up

persephone47
19th June 2006, 02:32
Oh, so cute and such an adorable ending...

ggdoll18
20th June 2006, 07:28
I very much enjoyed your fic!!!