PDA

View Full Version : Cost Of Failure (pg) (Completed)

tiff
12th May 2003, 14:24
This is my first post and my first story...I don't know where it came from, but here it is. Please be gentle, my finals are making me fragile. I wrote this as a distraction.

Title: Cost of Failure
Author: typicaltiff
Rated: PG
Disclaimer: Don't currently, won't ever own Smallvill or any of its characters...unfortunately
Summary: Failure leads to loss as Clark will soon learn.

“Clark.” Lex spoke evenly, not turning from the body on the bed to greet his friend.

Clark sighed, this was his last chance. “Lex.” His tone pained, eyes focused on the shell of his best friend.

Silence reigned as minutes passed, and drops of rain began to fall outside the hospital room. “I’m sorry Lex.”

Lex turned his head slowly, a weak half-smile on his lips, “Great to know but, that doesn’t really help me Clark. She’s gone.” Then turned back, his hand clasped a smaller, paler, and much colder one.

“I…” Clark looked to his feet, “I don’t know what to say.”

“There’s nothing to say. It’s been a month, she’s not waking up. What more could there be?” Lex’s tone was bitter. “The Luthor fortune couldn’t save her and miracles don’t happen for those who befriend the devil.”

“Do you know what happened to the people that did this?” Clark asked, fighting the dread he felt as he awaited the answer.

“They’ve been dealt with accordingly.” Lex’s eyes hardened to stone while his tone remained neutral.

“Lex…” Warning, “You can’t – “

“I already did, Clark.” Resigned. “They took her away from me, they got what they deserved. Nothing can compensate. They stole her. And I’m never getting her back.” Finally, he turned to look at his friend. “Have I been so wrong? All of the women I have ever loved have been taken from me prematurely.”

Clark was overwhelmed by the depth of pain he could see clearly in Lex’s eyes. His mouth opened and closed. Speechless.

“Fine. The darkness wants me, it can have me. The light lacks a certain permanence.”

Confusion marred Clark’s face before understanding dawned. “You don’t mean that.” Hope against hope. Please don’t do this…

“Don’t worry Clark. I can take care of myself.” Lex’s eyes turned back to the figure in the bed.

The words echoed quietly in Clark’s head as he heard a familiar feminine voice speak those exact words…before investigating a story that would cost her her life, and Lex his happiness. “She wouldn’t want this. She wouldn’t want you like this.” Clark pleaded desperately.

“Obviously the world did, or it wouldn’t have taken her from me. It wouldn’t have taken all of them from me. It would have allowed me happiness for longer than just a few months." Voice heavy with emotion. "It made me its enemy. No one crosses a Luthor and survives intact.” Lex threatened darkly. “Not even the world.”

“So what, you’re going to become what you’ve always avoided, your father?” Clark attempted.

“You made a valiant effort Clark, but you of all people should know. You can’t save everyone.” Lex said with finality.

Clark sighed in defeat, and left Lex in peace. He hoped Chloe would forgive him. He’d failed her, and he’d failed Lex. He'd lost them both.

The End.

That's it for now unless people like it and I'm struck by inspiration. Until then, that's all.

scifichick774
12th May 2003, 15:15
Wow. A nice short, angsty piece explaining the final rift between Clark and Lex. Good job. Although - I'm sad that Chloe had to die. :(

Sezza
12th May 2003, 15:23
Awwww, how sad. I really feel for Lex. This was great for your first piece. I hope you keep writing

-Sarah

A-u-r-o-r-a
13th May 2003, 01:35
NoOOoOo!!

This was great! i love a good Lex/Clark scene. Its so sad isnt it? i mean in that episode where lex says to Clark

"Our friendship will be the stuff of legends"

...NO IT WONT!! :crygreen: :crygreen: :crygreen:

i seriously thought i was going to burst into tears! Great job!

bluemoongirl23
13th May 2003, 03:15
That was some good angst. Especially since this is the way I morbidly hope it goes on the show. Excellent first fic, keep em coming.

Blue

DawnieAngel
13th May 2003, 04:43
That was really good :crygreen:

I get what Blue means about wanting it to go into the show....

I definately think you should write more fic Tiff, :-) you done really well! Good idea, well written. Come back with more soon!

Catheryne
13th May 2003, 13:52
The darkness wants me, it can have me. The light lacks a certain permanence.”

That was a beautiful line!!

Owww... my heart is clenching... That was... wonderful. The emotion was just right :) I loved every word.

Blaire023
14th May 2003, 05:48
<sighs>

want to cry, but also want to agree with Catheryne, it was so wonderfully written and I HATE ANGST&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t stand reading it, cuz then my mind works overtime, like right now Chloe&#39;s in a coma and just as Lex gets up to leave to start on his desination of &#39;badness&#39; she opens her eyes and rasps out his name. Corny, isn&#39;t it? Now, I don&#39;t mind an evil Lex, in fact the more evil Lex becomes, the sexier he is....but I need an evil Chloe with him. It makes it that much better.

Although I see the point that losing Chloe, the only thing keeping him in the light would turn him to go evil...

I think I&#39;ve been reading too many of Peg&#39;s fics....no offense sweetie, i love your fics, they&#39;re always so happy at the end.

Stop rambling...going to update something or another...

Blaire

sydsvaughn
14th May 2003, 07:41
I agree with the morbid thoughts that Chloe&#39;s death is what finally turns Lex. I love the way you wrote this Lex, you captured what could easliy happen beautifully.

Great first story, I hope you write more&#33;

Sara