PDA

View Full Version : For Jenn - Living In The Past (PG-13/T)

PMD
21st June 2005, 08:56
This is a piece I did a while ago, inspired by a writer friend of mine's piece. Hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Title: For Jenn - "Living In The Past"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Futurefic, Chloe and Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville.

Summary: Lex finds another of his father's experiments.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, it's characters, SIDS, and Quantum Leap, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, BT2, FFA, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to Jenn11 and her wonderful piece, Thoughts Of You. Thanks for making me cry happy tears, sweetie. : ) And I also want to thank Hickchick for prodding me to try to write the story myself, rather than doing it as a challenge. And to David, the fastest beta ever, thanks for looking this over, dude. Enjoy everybody.

For Jenn - "Living In The Past" - by PMD

Lex's POV

"Thank you, Doctor. I'll be there in the morning. Good bye."

I hang up the phone, the last part of my plan in place. And I thought the truth gas my father experimented with was good. This was even better. A chance to save my little brother had just fallen right into my hands. And maybe I could bring some medicine from the future to save my mother from dying.

I stand up and turn, to look out the stain glass window of my study and smirk. Father, you may be gone but you are definitely not forgotten. You gave me nothing when you were here---but you give me something when you aren't. A chance to save the two people I love.

"What if you don't?"

I turn to see the blonde fury standing in front of my desk. I cock an eyebrow at her and say nothing.

"You didn't answer my question."

"That's right," I state, turning around.

"Look at me, Luthor!"

I turn around again, and smirk at her. "What do you want, Sullivan?"

"An answer to my question---darn it!"

"And that question is?"

"What if you don't save them?"

"Them who?"

"Auuuuuugh! Sometimes I wonder why I even try! Go ahead; ruin your future by living in the past. You know, you're just not worth it anymore, Lex."

"Calm down!"

She walks over to my side and stands before me---the only woman who's ever stood up to me and lived to have no battle scars.

"Calm down? Oh yeah, calm down, after I found out what you are planning to do. Like that's going to happen, Luthor!"

"So, you do care," I say to her.

"Yeah, right, whatever." Then she lets out a sigh and sits down on my chair, staring at me. "Lex, if you go back in time to save your brother and mother, you'll change the past and the future."

I won't even ask her how she knew about this or my plan to save my family. Instead, I put my hands on the chair’s arms and lean in. "Yes, for the better. They'll be alive and---"

"---your father will turn you and Julian against each other. Remember, that was your worry---why won't it happen again?"

"Because I'll be saving my mother too. She'll protect Julian like she did me, when she was alive."

"But she dies---its not like she's murdered or had an accident. She dies from---"

"---a heart problem. I'll take back some medicine from the future to save her."

"And change the timeline again. What if somebody gets a hold of the medicine?"

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen. Any other problems I should know about?"

She pushes me away and gets up, making her way around the desk.

"Oh, I'm just starting---what if you never come to Smallville? What if you never met your best friend who kept you from going dark? What if you never met two people who took you into their hearts and home when you needed it most? What if the medicine doesn't work and your mother still dies? And what if your brother dies from SIDS, instead of being smothered? And what if you never met---oh forget it. Why oh why do I do this to myself every time? I've had it---go back to the past and try to save your family. Hope you have a nice life, Lex, cause I have this nagging feeling, we'll never meet if you do."

She turns around and makes her way to the door. Just before exiting, she turns and looks at me.

"If this'll keep you here, I have one more thing to say."

I move around the desk and lean against it. "And that is?"

"I love you, Lex," she says softly, before she exits the room, leaving behind a stunned man.

~

Chloe's POV

I'm sitting in my apartment now, above the Talon, watching some Quantum Leap. Trust me to find time travel when I'm trying not to think about the mistake that Lex is about to make.

All of us wish we could turn back the hands of time and change things. Me, I would love to stop my mother from leaving us but it wouldn't do any good---she would just make the whole family miserable by staying. And I would love to go back before I took Lionel's offer up but you know what, if I hadn't done it, I would never have gotten closer to Lex.

Lex is hurting, which is why he's not thinking clearly to see the implications of going back to the past and changing it. He might never get into trouble and then never be exiled to Smallville. Lionel might be running the crap factory and a lot of people could lose their jobs that didn't in the past. Lex and Clark might never become best friends and I might never meet him at all and---fall in love with him. Darn it---I let myself say I loved him to urge him to stay. And as I walked out of the room, he didn't run after me, like they do in the movies.

I let out a sob and pull my legs up, burying my head in my lap. "Lex, please don't do it, for your sake, not mine. You might just feel the pain again."

Like that pain ever stopped, Chloe. But then, if they still die and things change, maybe he wouldn't have the support system he has now.

I hear a knock at the door and turn off the TV. I walk over and look through the peephole. I back away and pull the door open to see him standing there.

"Chloe---I've scraped the project."

"Why?" I query.

"Because, you're right---I should be looking to the future not living in the past. Let Julian and my mother sleep in peace---the peace they would never get being a Luthor."

"So, that's the only reason?" I ask him, as he walks into the apartment.

"Well, there was one other thing?"

"Yes?"

He turns around and smiles at me---a genuine smile. "I might never be able to tell you something, if I change time."

"And that is?" I ask.

He moves close, his hand rubbing one arm and then, taking my hand, placing a kiss on my pulse point. He then looks at me. "That I love you too, Chloe," he breathes out, before leaning down to capture my lips with his.

The End.

hfce
21st June 2005, 15:08
Aww that was so sugery sweet. :wub:

Hope ;)

PMD
22nd June 2005, 09:40
Hey Hope:

So glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :)

bluengreenswmer
22nd June 2005, 18:07
There's nothing else to say but: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

~*~blue~*~

PMD
22nd June 2005, 20:14
Hey Blue:

Oh man, I owe you feedback for a story on ff.net----I'll send it later---or try to find it here. It's good through---really good. :) I enjoy them all. <g> Glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. :)

meeaz
23rd June 2005, 01:30
aw that was so cute! i just love lex.

PMD
23rd June 2005, 01:51
Hey Meeaz:

So glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :) And I love Lex too---he's just such an interesting character to work with and you know, I wouldn't enjoy it as much if Michael wasn't in the role. He does Lex so perfectly, doesn't he? And that's why, after years of hating the character, I love the character instead. And hence why I stopped watching cause I figure---don't see him go bad, he'll always be a good guy. :)

PMD
24th June 2005, 21:15
Kelly:

Awww---I'm glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :) Yep, my muse is part fluff---and part marshmallow, as you VM people can guess. :)

Ami Rose
18th June 2015, 06:11
Awe, he stayed for her! Loved it!