PDA

View Full Version : Question about reputation points!

MyVagueVisage
1st April 2005, 02:08
Okay I'm probably gonna sound like a dumbass, but will someone please explain the whole reputation point thing to me cause I am lost in the dark!

Queen Of Tact
1st April 2005, 02:41
Hi sweetie... This might help you.... Jules posted it in another thread..

http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_new_faq_item2

Hope it helps...

CC

Jules: just fixed the link ;)

Jen1388
4th April 2005, 23:45
Oooo coolness, thanks for that, I had no idea what that was... I should really look round more often.

carebear72884
18th April 2005, 17:55
alright, I have decided I am stupid, Mine is still grey and I can't figure out why, I thought maybe they were hidden, and when I went to the user cp I couldn't find any place to hide them or un-hide them....I should be around more too.

Julie
18th April 2005, 21:21
Amber, you don't have any reputation points, hence the grey box.

carebear72884
18th April 2005, 23:16
oh, I see.

lilinny
19th April 2005, 01:37
mine says I had disabled reputation what does that mean?

Jen1388
19th April 2005, 03:23
You can disable your rep points if you want to... but you must have figured out how to enable them, because they're showing now.

Queen Of Tact
19th April 2005, 03:55
You can disable your rep points if you want to... but you must have figured out how to enable them, because they're showing now.

I gave amber a fewso now they are showing so she could see.....

CC

LarkLuthor
19th April 2005, 05:40
mine says I had disabled reputation what does that mean?It means you can't see the green (or red if you're negative) showing your points. I can however still see what your points are if I look at your profile.

Lark

Jen1388
19th April 2005, 13:33
I gave amber a fewso now they are showing so she could see.....

Ahhh righty, coolness.

zelda
22nd April 2005, 12:22
Okay, I see my rep points on my user CP, and some nice things other auhors and readers wrote. But how do I boost someone else's reputation? Or give them the Rep compliments...so to speak. I didn't find the answer on Jules' post, but maybe I missed it.

tigerbaby
22nd April 2005, 13:33
Okay, I see my rep points on my user CP, and some nice things other auhors and readers wrote. But how do I boost someone else's reputation? Or give them the Rep compliments...so to speak. I didn't find the answer on Jules' post, but maybe I missed it.

At the bottom of the user name there are a bunch of symbols. Just click on the balance/scale. If you hover, there should be balloon that says "add to username's reputation." You should get pop screen asking if you agree/disagree and go from there.

Sylyna
25th May 2005, 06:19
Ok on another board that I post, when someone gives or takes reputation points from you it is shown in the post that they did this on, and whatever comment they made.

Will it be shown on this board, or will only the user know who gave and took there points?

Julie
25th May 2005, 08:21
It is not visible in the actual post how much a user gives/takes, but one can see the total points in the usersprofile page.

However, the user who gets points, or has points taken away, can see the actual points taken/given in his/her UserCP.

As well can myself and Warunee see all the reputation points "actions" in the Admin logs...

Sylyna
25th May 2005, 17:58
Cool, it's better than having everone see.

Sylyna
26th May 2005, 05:34
How long can it take before your reputation starts to show?
I have posted about 50 posts in the last 3 days, but have not seen any difference in my reputation as of yet.

Julie
26th May 2005, 08:30
Firstly, when posting something that already has a topic, just reply in the existing topic...

To see reputation points, you need to recieve some from others. To see your reputation power, that depends on how much your post, how often you post, how much you are online on the board etc etc. There's no exact timeline.

Sylyna
26th May 2005, 18:15
Sorry about that.

So basically your saying until someone gives me some rep points, that what I could have will not show up til then?

Julie
26th May 2005, 19:27
No no, rep points and rep power are two different things. Rep points are points given to your by others, and you will not see this before you are actually given some reputation points.

Rep power is what you can give/take to/from others. F.ex, if you have 30 rep power, you give/take 30 points...

Sylyna
27th May 2005, 05:05
oh, ok. that clears it up.
thank you.

vardaquareien
8th July 2005, 20:25
To show your rep points:

UserCP > Edit Options > Show My Reputation Level > tick box.

tigerbaby
8th July 2005, 21:03
i see that you've (the board?) put every post of mine today in another thread. so i'm guessing i got the disabled rep because i put my posts in the wrong place? i feel like crying :puppydog: i sound like such a loser.

That has nothing to do with the disabled reps. See above response from Renee as to how you can see your rep points.

The posts were moved as there were other similar threads already started.

vardaquareien
8th July 2005, 21:50
As far as I knew disabled rep just meant that you, the member had turned off the "Show My Reputation Level" option. Your rep points and power are both still fully intact. The only time you need to worry is if the little box turns red - that means your in negative because points have been taken away. If that happened for any reason Jules would be sure to contact you and tell you why.

vardaquareien
8th July 2005, 21:56
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Disabled rep points has nothing to do with your rep power. It only means that the option in your Control Power has been turned off. It doesn't effect either your rep power or points in any way. It just means that people don't see how many green boxes you've acumulated.

vardaquareien
8th July 2005, 22:02
see, and i just noticed at the videos that meghan036 has a red box. how did meg get that?
If anyone has a red box it means that an admin has taken points away for innapropriate conduct. Having just looked in the Videos forum I believe that the points were taken from meg as punnishment for attempting to plagerise another member's work.

You might also like to read this thread (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=2682) where other people have asked similar questions to yours.

tigerbaby
8th July 2005, 22:19
ok. so what is the disabled rep about, tigerbaby? i'm not very concerned with my reputation points actually. but does this disabled rep thing mean that i don't get to use my rep power anymore? if so, why not? and how do i get it back? can i get it back? i feel like i've lost my vote.

The black box next to your rep power under your user ID isn't anything negative. As Renee said, worry, when it's red. When we first moved to the board, everyone had a black box. It turns green based on the amount of rep power you have. You can give rep points away, but seeing as you have a little black box, it shows up as a little black box to the other person. There's a FAQ section here somewhere to address those, which I'm sure Renee gave the link but for now I wouldn't worry too much. It's dependent on how active on the board you are, how often you post and if people give you rep points as well.

Again, if it turns red, then you worry.

Julie
9th July 2005, 00:16
Just adding a little note here, that a member of the board can also give negative reputation points. It's not just me or Warunee (the other admin). This is a pretty down-to-earth community, so I'm trusting my members to use the negative reputation correctly :)

Charmingjen
10th July 2005, 08:01
To show your rep points:

UserCP > Edit Options > Show My Reputation Level > tick box.

Hey all. Thanks for pointing this out :)

Unfortunatley for me, I don't see that option available in my CP. Unless I am seriously blind. :(

Sylyna
29th July 2005, 20:22
Hey all. Thanks for pointing this out :)

Unfortunatley for me, I don't see that option available in my CP. Unless I am seriously blind. :(

Since you have yet to find it, here's how:

Go to quick links, click 'my profile' it near the bottom right above 'who's online'.
Then look on the left side of the screen where it says 'control panel' then 'settings and options'. Click 'edit options', it's the 4th down from ' sttinga and options'.

Now you first have 'login and privicy', under that is 'use invisible mode', then under that is 'show me my reputation level', that's what you want. click the box that says 'show me my reputation level' written next to it. then go to the bottom of the page and click the 'save changes' button.

Charmingjen
30th July 2005, 16:11
Since you have yet to find it, here's how:

Go to quick links, click 'my profile' it near the bottom right above 'who's online'.
Then look on the left side of the screen where it says 'control panel' then 'settings and options'. Click 'edit options', it's the 4th down from ' sttinga and options'.

Now you first have 'login and privicy', under that is 'use invisible mode', then under that is 'show me my reputation level', that's what you want. click the box that says 'show me my reputation level' written next to it. then go to the bottom of the page and click the 'save changes' button.
Followed each step, but seriously, I don't have it in my cpanel. I swear. Oh well..no biggie, but thanks for trying to help :)

Sylyna
2nd August 2005, 22:21
your welcome, it could be because you have cookies for the site block of something else on your computer that's not allowing it or even your browser.

i'm sorry that you where unable to change it.

hfce
17th August 2005, 02:21
Quick question I see when I look at my user CP I have 15 reputations points but when I look under my avatar I see I only have 11 showing. How come the other four aren't showing up? ;)

Hope ;)

Julie
22nd August 2005, 00:36
Quick question I see when I look at my user CP I have 15 reputations points but when I look under my avatar I see I only have 11 showing. How come the other four aren't showing up? ;)

Hope ;)

Um, Hope, you have 3626 reputation points, and 486 reputation power ... ;)

hfce
22nd August 2005, 03:54
Um, Hope, you have 3626 reputation points, and 486 reputation power ... ;)

Oh I see that but I was talking about the green square things that are under the points. So its the number not the green boxes that I look at then.. Ok I get it now. :grin3:

Hope ;)

momdaegmorgan
3rd April 2010, 01:53
What are these reputation points you speaketh of?

Read the thread, tried to follow the link (it's dead), and I have no clue what's going on. Seeing as I cannot actually see any rep points anywhere (and can't find the option for them in my CP at all).

lexie
3rd April 2010, 02:13

Read the thread, tried to follow the link (it's dead), and I have no clue what's going on. Seeing as I cannot actually see any rep points anywhere (and can't find the option for them in my CP at all).

This is a feature that used to exist on the old forums but that was disabled by Julie. If I'm not wrong it showed how popular a member was depending on the points he/she was given by other members. It worked in a way similar to the Thanks button that you can click at the bottom of a thread. The more points you got thanks to the votes of the members the higher you could get in the ranking.

When I checked it our earlier today it simply showed the most popular thread starters depending on the number of visitors they had to their threads. Maybe Jules disabled that particular statistics later in the evening. ;)

On some other forums your reputation varies depending on the number of posts you have... or on how valuable they are to other users.

momdaegmorgan
3rd April 2010, 02:19
I figured they were closed down since I wasn't seeing rep points anywhere, for anyone, but then I saw it in the tops menu and started to wonder if I was just missing something somehow.

Thanks for the heads up!

lexie
3rd April 2010, 02:25
You're welcome. I've just corrected an odd-looking structure in my previous post. Blame it on the Easter Egg Hunt- I'm somewhat dizzy. :D

Julie
3rd April 2010, 09:56

It was a feature we had way back, that we disabled because of a bug in it. The points were growing unnaturally, so I disabled it.

As for the statistics, I haven't had a chance to tweak the statistics yet, so I'm guessing it's just picking up on everything that's possible to track :) And some other boards still use the reputation feature :)

Dominique
5th April 2010, 03:57
Thanks....I was a little confused...

FlameFilledEyez
4th October 2012, 20:07
So wait...I've been gone super long..what are reputation points? I'm so confused...

kitten
4th October 2012, 20:22
Reputation points were a feature on here for a few months in 2005, but there was something wrong with how points were counted. Julie switched it off because people were accumulating points randomly, and basically everybody's reputation became five stars. Other members could award reputation points for the positive or negative, and post up a comment about why they'd done so. It was supposed to be a way to promote very helpful users and the threads they created, but it never worked the way it should have. I know the site still references reputation and points but you can disregard it.