PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions, PG

June
14th May 2005, 01:01
First Impressions
PG

Disclaimer: Smallville and all related elements, characters and © Tollin-Robbins Productions and Warner Bros. Television, All Rights Reserved. This is a work of fiction, no infringement is intended, no profit is being made.

Spoliers: General Season 1-3, especially for "Magnetic".

Authors Note: A writing exercise of sorts. Short, incredibly short actually- 460 words exactly, too long to be a drabble and too short to really be considered a short story-- But it's here because I had no idea where else to put it. Feel free to move it if you see fit.

Per Request, a Chloe inner thoughts piece on Lex Luthor that couldn't be romantic and had to be remotely serious and under 500 words.

She’s not sure she likes him.

She knows she doesn’t like the fact that he took Clark away from her. She hates the fact that he did it completely unbeknownst to himself and with little effort. She doesn’t like the way he just walks into a room and demands attention. She doesn’t like that his shoes probably cost more than her life, probably cost more than what she can imagine her entire college education is going to cost her.

She sure as hell doesn’t like his father, but then again, she really couldn’t blame that on him. After all, from the looks of it, what he feels for the devil himself is anything but loving admiration.

She thinks he is anything but ignorant, but just a little bit too arrogant for her tastes. She thinks that the swagger he has as he enters a room makes him pompous. She thinks he’s denying the inevitable, trying to outrun his destiny, but it’s still there, right beneath the surface itching, underneath his skin- irritating and alluring all at once.

She thinks that he likes the power he has over people, that he liked the power he had over her, standing before that body in the morgue, warning her that she was caught up in a game where she wasn’t aware of the stakes.

She thinks, possibly and ever so painfully, that she made a mistake coming to him, telling him her secrets.

She knows this is bigger than her, and she is deathly afraid that this is bigger than him too. She knows that he can’t provide words of comfort, because, quite simply, there are none. And even if there were, she knows she doesn’t deserve them. She betrayed her best friend; made a deal with the devil. She traded a piece of her soul for a byline in the Daily Planet and now she’s paying the price.

She does however think about how low his opinion must be of her right then, but she pushes the slight tinge of self consciousness away because she convinces herself she doesn’t care. She convinces herself that she’s better than that, better than wondering what Smallville’s very own puppeteer thought of her.

“I’ll protect you Chloe, you have my word.”

She’s not sure that she likes him. She knows he’s somewhat arrogant, knows this is bigger than the both of them combined.

The sound of his words comfort her in a way she didn’t think would be possible, not then, not in such a horrible situation that she’d managed to create all on her own.

And it’s then, as he says the words of comfort with conviction, that Chloe Sullivan decides that Lex Luthor just may turn out to be not such a bad guy.

lexchloe
14th May 2005, 01:07
Short but wonderful.

LarkLuthor
14th May 2005, 01:28
Nice ficlet...

Lark

Tehzo
14th May 2005, 03:58
Short, but I was left with a good feeling after reading it. I really enjoyed reading this. It's different. Chloe's view of Lex isn't negative yet it's also not loving. I read that that was the request, and you did a great job.

She thinks that he likes the power he has over people, that he liked the power he had over her, standing before that body in the morgue, warning her that she was caught up in a game where she wasn’t aware of the stakes. I loved this part. The bit about Lex liking the power...it's just seemed so perfect like that's definitely true. And I also liked this because you brought up the morgue scene. It's a scene I've always wished was taken in a different way...like Chloe fighting back somehow. Anyway, I thought it was great that you had Chloe being aware that the visit to the morgue was partly a way for Lex to express his power.

hfce
14th May 2005, 04:41
That was a great short fic.:D

Hope ;)

Christy January
14th May 2005, 07:02
And it’s then, as he says the words of comfort with conviction, that Chloe Sullivan decides that Lex Luthor just may turn out to be not such a bad guy.

Sigh. Loved this part.

Short but sweet. Nicely done. :D

LarkLuthor
18th May 2005, 13:37
She knows this is bigger than her, and she is deathly afraid that this is bigger than him too. She knows that he can’t provide words of comfort, because, quite simply, there are none. And even if there were, she knows she doesn’t deserve them. She betrayed her best friend; made a deal with the devil. She traded a piece of her soul for a byline in the Daily Planet and now she’s paying the price. This one was my favorite peice too... Such heartfelt confession. Such thought...

All in all I liked it. It was a nice little piece on where things are...what Chloe knows...

Lark

starmoon
28th May 2005, 08:26
loved it you should write another story.

Reese
29th May 2005, 21:11
*sigh* June, oh June...

In less than 400 words, you can make me feel all that. How do you do it?

I've been gone for some time and this was a lovely little ficlet to come back to...

Reese

LucyLuthor
29th May 2005, 23:42
This was a simply beautiful story :grin3:

Ainur
1st June 2005, 06:15
This was very nice. To see all the different emotions that Chloe feels towards Lex. From not liking him to accepting he's not a bad guy. They way you describe the feelings were fantastic.

jaxie926
20th June 2005, 08:03
Just a few favorite lines from this:

She hates the fact that he did it completely unbeknownst to himself and with little effort.

from the looks of it, what he feels for the devil himself is anything but loving admiration.

She thinks that the swagger he has as he enters a room makes him pompous.

She betrayed her best friend; made a deal with the devil. She traded a piece of her soul for a byline in the Daily Planet and now she’s paying the price.

She does however think about how low his opinion must be of her right then, ... She convinces herself that she’s better than that, better than wondering what Smallville’s very own puppeteer thought of her.

nice ficlet.

Ami Rose
17th March 2018, 11:22
That was great