PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] The Rules of Enmity: NC17

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FroggyJump
6th December 2005, 08:02
I enjoyed Lex's last comment to Jake.

The friendship between Charlie and Chloe is so sweet and I'm glad that the situation with Lex is going good.

SianUrsula
8th December 2005, 22:20
Oh yay! Only just discovered this and absolutely love it! LOVE IT! Please continue!

arkakitty
11th December 2005, 18:09
I loved the update soooo much :) Seriously. I wanna know, what's more to come, so please bring the next out soon :)

starmoon
11th December 2005, 21:42
please update soon i can't wait for more.

zelda
12th December 2005, 04:01
Present:

Lex knocked on Chloe’s door. She answered with a finger to her lips.

"Charlie’s here, he’s knocked out on the couch from the painkillers."

"How did he get out of the hospital?" Lex asked, shutting the door softly.

"He had a little help from his family and then gave them the slip." She grinned. "Doesn’t like being coddled. Just grabbed his painkillers and took off." She walked back to the couch and peeked at her sleeping friend.

"I’ve just been hanging out." She bit her lip but didn’t ask where he’d been. He seemed to read her mind.

"I had to leave early in order to meet with the hotel management and then go to speak to some friends in law enforcement." He took off his jacket and tossed it over a chair. "I would’ve liked to have been there when you woke up?"

"You’d have re-thought it when you’ve seen my hair first thing after a nap."

"I have," he replied, tweaking her chin, "you’re absolutely charming with that ‘hedgehog’ look." He blocked the half-hearted swipe she took at him.

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her into his arms. After a brief kiss, he said, "I also went to see Shelley today."

"Did she tell you she came to see me?" Chloe asked. Lex cocked his head to the side.

"No she didn’t mention it, but she and I needed to talk a few things over. She apologized for her role in this mess. I forgave her and she forgave me for being unavailable to her."

"I gave her a brief explanation about the tattoos. I know she was more than a little shocked to know my real name."

"She’s also worried about her job and the bad press that may come out of this."

"I can understand that." Lex grimaced, slightly,

"I’m glad to hear you say that, because she asked that we still attend the charity event together."

"I still have Charlie as my date, presuming he can dance by the end of the week." Chloe smiled. "I hadn’t thought of depriving you of your date, besides, it’d not like we can put any kind of label on our…arrangement."

"Do you want a label?"

"Not yet. I’m just working on accepting the fact that I enjoy your company now."

"Have you called our friend, Sheri?"

"Yeah, She’ll be meeting me for dinner tonight. I hope you don’t mind but I need some girl time." Chloe paused and cocked her head to one side.

"Preferably without come-ons and violence."

"I’ll find some way to amuse myself for a few hours." He ran his hands up and down her arms.

"No offense, but you look really exhausted," Chloe said, placing her palm on his cheek. "How much sleep have you had?"

"A little here and there." He admitted, allowing the weary lines to crease his eyes. "Had a lot on my mind."

"Can I convince you to take a nap?" She wrapped her arms loosely around his waist.

"Does it involve you being naked in bed with me?" he asked.

"If you're getting naked, I could use a napping buddy too." Charlie’s voice came from over the couch.

"I thought you were asleep," Chloe said, moving back over to her friend.
"You looked like you were back in a coma."

"Nah," he replied. "The painkillers make it so I can doze, but being shot makes you twitchy, being twitchy makes it tough on the bullethole."

"Yeah, it does suck," Lex said. "Then it itches once it starts to heal and you have to stop yourself from scratching. I pulled a stitch once in the middle of a meeting and nearly started to cry."

"Been shot?"

"Couple of times," Lex remarked, standing over the tall Englishman. "This your first hit?"

"Nope," Charlie replied. "Once while hunting. But that was just birdshot from a half-blind uncle who couldn’t tell the difference between a three pound pheasant and a Six-foot nephew wearing yellow plaid." He shifted himself on the couch. "Never really cared much for Uncle Robert after that." He gestured to Chloe for help. "Give us a hand, Love, and I’ll leave you to it." She helped him stand.

"How’s it feeling?"

"With all the drugs I’m on, it only hurts when I breathe." He slung an arm over her shoulder and kissed the back of her head where her bump was.

"Feel better soon, huh?"

"You too."
Lex walked Charlie to the door and opened it for the other man. He stepped out into the hallway and walked a few steps towards the elevator.

"If this is going to turn into one of those sappy moments where you try to express to me how grateful you are for me dragging your lady out of the sack before your girlfriend’s jilted, crazed, ex-lover started shooting at us, you can save it."

"I can?" Lex asked noncommittally.

"Yes, and you don’t have to go into detail about how much she means to you because I already know you’re both fucking nuts in general so it’s just as well that you’re bloody retarded for each other as well."

"Good to know." He smiled and slapped Charlie on the back making him grunt with pain and mumble under his breath about Lex’s questionable parentage.

"Don’t get testy with me, Luthor, I’m not looking to claim a piece of prime, Sullivan, real estate so you can quit with that particular speech before it starts too."

"You know me that well?" Lex raised his eyebrows as they reached the doors to the elevator.

"If you were any more possessive you’d be humping her leg like the dirty dog that you are."

"Exactly what kind of medication are you on?"

"Right, cause when you got shot, you took just the crap they give you at the hospital. Being from one of the wealthiest families in Europe has its advantages. But given a choice, I prefer getting shot here, the surgeons are better."

"So I’m not good enough for Chloe?"

"You’ve been torturing her and using her to torture yourself for the better part of a decade. Can’t say that it endears you to me." Charlie rolled his neck and used the cane to push the down button for the elevator.

"This from the man who virtually bought a company to be near her."

"My reasons were different, Luthor."

"I’m supposed to believe that?" Lex’s face was hard. He hadn’t meant to get into this with Charlie. The man had saved Chloe’s life. But he didn’t like being challenged.

"Your beliefs don’t matter to me. She knows the truth; she still finds me…worthy." Lex blinked at his choice of words. Charlie took a step forward and loomed a little over the other man. "I won’t bother with threats about hurting her. It would be redundant and way too late. To be honest, if I didn’t know she was doing as much shit to you as you were doing to her, I’d have…acted on your behavior before now."

"But now?"

"You’ll have to be really good to her. I got between her and a bullet, won’t be easy to top that." He slapped Lex on the back.

"I saved her from an exploding house once," Lex said, defensively.

"No you didn’t, you were busy being poisoned by your father."

"Well, I had people-"

"Its all noise, Luthor." The elevator doors opened. "I love her, it’s something she knows and can relate to. You’ll need to make an extra effort if you want her ever to associate you with that emotion."

"She knows the difference," Lex said, softly. He didn’t usually explain himself, but this man had been the one thing standing between Chloe and probable death.

"Sex between strangers can play tricks when there’s chemistry, but make sure you’re capable of giving her what she needs before she starts to need it from you."

"Get some sleep," Lex said as Charlie stepped into the elevator. "You look like shit."

"You too."

A/N: Okay, I had to put some kind of pissing contest in, cause that's what guys do.

lj715
12th December 2005, 04:13
That was a great update but, you stopped too soon!! I wanted more! Love how protective Charlie is of Chloe but he know her too well. He's gonna be there for her if Lex screws up though. I hope you update soon because I want to know what happens next. Do they get to have their naked nap?

Kit Merlot
12th December 2005, 04:47
Zelda, excellent update!

I am a loyal Chlexer to the end, but if Chloe can't be with Lex for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind her and Charlie getting together:grin3:

Loved the Lex/Charlie manly, "I love Chloe more" conversation. Both men love her and want what is best for her. I do love it when Chloe has two great guys fighting over her.

Beautiful chapter:D

star del mar
12th December 2005, 05:30
Boys...I swear that one day they're just going to whip them out and start comparing, lol. They're some tension but obviously because Chloe is a hot commodity but I love my Lex so I'll be rooting for him endlessly, I love Charlie but I just can't picture Chloe with anyone else. Great update!

Steph*

Blackberry
12th December 2005, 06:02
That was awesome.

Favourite line:

"If you were any more possessive you’d be humping her leg like the dirty dog that you are."

Had me snickering like a weirdo. :)

I enjoyed their argument... hehehe...

more soon~

campbti
12th December 2005, 06:19
I liked the pissing contest, very macho. I so love this story, loved the resolution of the storyline and Charlie. Can't wait to see how you wrap it all up.

georgee5
12th December 2005, 06:45
"Its all noise, Luthor." The elevator doors opened. "I love her, it’s something she knows and can relate to. You’ll need to make an extra effort if you want her ever to associate you with that emotion."

"She knows the difference," Lex said, softly. He didn’t usually explain himself, but this man had been the one thing standing between Chloe and probable death.

"Sex between strangers can play tricks when there’s chemistry, but make sure you’re capable of giving her what she needs before she starts to need it from you."

OK, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "Can I have Charlie?" He is the most sensitive, strong, 'bad boy', OC I have ever read. Please, pretty please?

hfce
12th December 2005, 07:05
That was a great update and I enjoyed the pissing contest. But Charlie should know Lex always wins it in the end. :D

Hope :)

pipersmum
12th December 2005, 16:28
I just love reading stories where two guys are arguing over who loves Chloe more fantastic reading:D Charlie is so sweet and very protective of Chloe I just hope Lex treats Chloe right or else Lex will have to deal with him. Right now I can hardly wait to see if Lex and Chloe get to have a naked nap!!!

katieandjason
12th December 2005, 16:58
This is an excellent update. The pissing contest was absolutely hilarious, but not only that it had some really good stuff in it.

That's so awesome, and a hint of what's to come.

That touched my heart, it really did, and I'm not quite sure why. But I loved that line. I guess it shows how much Charlie knows and cares about Chloe, he wants Lex to know her well enough that Lex will be able to be emotionally available and dependable for her before she even realizes she needs to count on him. I think. I'm not sure, all I know is that I love that line.

teb85
12th December 2005, 23:40
Fantastic update !
Loved Charlie being all protective over Chloe, he is so sweet !

buffiy18
13th December 2005, 04:43
Great chapter. }The pissing contest was fn and I likes Chalie telling Lex all he knows about Lex.

Could you do something in an upcoming chapter with Chloe, lex, and the tatoos? I'll let you think of what as i'm open to anything, i just love how unique they are and how they have gotten our two fav peeps togethert.

sorry for the typing i olny have one hand to type`ttoday.

zelda
13th December 2005, 08:19
sorry for the typing i olny have one hand to type`ttoday

Tee Hee, what are you doing with the other one?

eternitychlex
13th December 2005, 19:45
Awesome!!!!!!!!! I love the whole connection that Charlie has with Chloe; they would actually make a good couple..............Please update soon; I can not wait to see what happens next...............I love it...........

showntell
15th December 2005, 11:56
Yay for the update.

I can't tell if you are wrapping up the before or after the charity ball. I really like this incanation of chloe and Lex so I wouldn't mind after.

The pissing contest was really cute...but I firmly on Lex's side.

zelda
18th December 2005, 16:05
Lex walked back to the room and loosened his tie. He didn’t see Chloe in the living room so he kicked off his shoes and picked up the phone, requesting that the suite not be disturbed. Then he walked into the bedroom.

Chloe was putting her shoes on and looked up quickly when he walked in.

“I thought you wanted a nap,” he said, hiding his disappointment.

“I do, but I haven’t let housekeeping into my suite for a while and thought it might be nice to have the, uh, linens changed.”

“Right, my place, then?” Lex had the urge to hold out his hand to her but placed his hands in his pockets. He felt funny about walking down the hallway holding her hand. He shouldn’t, he thought to himself as Chloe tied her shoes and got up, going to the bureau and pulling out some clean clothes. Lex called the front desk to request housekeeping service and told them they would return within a few hours. They walked to Lex’s suite without saying anything and he opened the door for her.

“Wow, I should’ve held out for a better room.” Chloe’s eyes widened as she walked in the door. If she was in a luxury suite, she didn’t know what the name for his was. “Is this the best room they’ve got here?”

“Yes, it’s the Presidential suite.” Lex looked around him, curiously. “It’s pretty nice, I like feeling like I’m in an apartment.”

Chloe tried not to stare at the light, oriental wooden paneling on the walls and marble floor. There were a lot of doors and she wasn’t certain where to go first. Lex made the first move. He placed a hand at her back and ushered her into the sunken living room. Picking up a remote control from the coffee table, he began pressing buttons. The first pulled back the drapes from the window and Chloe immediately went to look at the view.

The window faced a different direction and was curved to show a panoramic view of the city. Chloe felt like her eyes weren’t big enough to take it in. A bench upholstered in white silk looked too pretty to sit on. She ran her fingers over it and spied a couple of magazines fanned out on a glass table beside the bench. The hotels where Chloe usually stayed had travel magazines with stuff like towel warmers, luggage and travel translators. Lex’s suite featured magazines advertising Harry Winston Diamonds and the finest in private aircraft. She didn’t want to look at the plane ads, she remembered being impressed by the price of a forty-foot barter yacht in her dad’s old boating magazine. Here, there was no comparison.

Lex came up behind her and slipped his arms around her waist. She leaned back against his shoulder and rested her temple beside his chin.

“You get this place for the view?” she asked, staring out at the city. Standing so close to the window, it was the only thing she could see.

“Of course,” he replied, sliding his hands down her arms and moving them away from her sides. “It makes me feel like…” he paused before flinging both of their arms wide, “I’m the King of the World!”

Chloe laughed, feeling herself relax. “Do you trust me?” he asked, swaying as if on the bow of the Titanic. She swayed with him.

“I trust you,” she replied in a breathless, Kate Winslet imitation. Lex swung her up into his arms dramatically and placed a foot on the bench.

“You jump, I jump, okay?”

“Not till I’ve had a chance to see the rest of this ship, Jack.”
“Do I get to draw you naked later?”

“Bring the candlelight, the sketchpad, and the gigantic blue diamond and I’ll let you airbrush classic cartoons on my butt if you want.”

“Really?”

“Hey, I’m easy to please.” She wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “Want to take a shower before we…take a nap?”

“We can do better than that,” Lex answered, walking through the living room, still carrying Chloe, and headed for one of the doors across the room. When he opened the door with the hand that was under her knees, he pretended to be tired. “When they said it was 2,200 square feet, I thought it was great. Now I’m not so sure.” Chloe kicked the door with a free foot and it swung open to reveal a huge marble bathroom.

A pedestal with a whirlpool bath stood in the center. Tucked in the corner was a glass-walled shower.

“Oh, His and Hers.”

“That’s where we’re both headed,” Lex said, crossing the floor and placing her feet on the lowest step to the bathtub. “It’s big enough for two.”

“More like four, but lets take things slow,” Chloe joked. “You grab the towels, I’ll run the bath.”

Lex went to the linen closet just outside the bathroom door and collected a pile of soft, fluffy towels and a pair of robes. He heard the water turn on and kicked off his shoes next to the sofa. Then he undressed in the living room and placed his clothes in the hamper. Then he donned one of the robes and went back into the bathroom.

Chloe was leaning over the edge of the tub, adjusting the temperature of the water. Lex leaned his back against the door and watched as Chloe bent over to untie her sneakers. She was enjoyable to watch, not just because she was attractive; but because he no longer had to hide his fascination with her. “Are you just gonna watch from there?” She asked, not turning around.

“For a bit,” he replied. Chloe shrugged and continued to undress.

“Suit yourself.” Her words had a slightly defensive quality to them and her movements were suddenly awkward as she pulled her jersey over her head. Lex stood upright at the sight of her back. He realized he hadn’t seen her injuries in the light. He moved to her automatically and reached out for her shoulder, only to draw back when he noticed that the spot he’d been about to touch was purplish black.

“What happened here?” he asked, moving gentle fingers around the bruise. “And here?” He touched a shallow gouge in the back of Chloe’s neck.

“The shoulder was from when I was on the floor with Jake. Not sure exactly how. The neck injury was courtesy of Officer Tan.”

“Did you have it covered with make-up earlier?”

“At the press conference, yeah. But I’ve just been wearing more clothes than usual.” She shrugged and gingerly removed one sock, then the other. “My feet are about to declare mutiny if I keep walking on broken glass.” The tone of her voice fell short of being light. She still wore a tank top that he helped her remove. Lex noted that she was hiding her discomfort.

“Pulled muscles?”

“All of them.”

“Want me to get a masseusse?” The offer fell short when he saw her bare back. She was speckled with large and small bruises. “Guess that wouldn’t be a good idea.”

“Uh, no. But soaking in the tub and resting have done wonders for me.” Chloe smiled over her shoulder. Before she could unbutton her jeans, Lex turned her towards him and looked at her. Really looked at her. She didn’t try to smile any more and Lex examined her injuries. He started with her hands. There were bruised and skinned knuckles, broken nails, and a couple of scratches. Then her moved his fingertips along her wrists where the skin was a fresher, reddish-purple.

“What about here?”

“Jake held my arms down. The twisting rubbed them against each other.” Her elbows were red and roughened with carpet burn, and he didn’t need to ask about that. He moved his hands up her arms and over the matching thumb prints left by the A.D.A’s attack. The smaller finger prints around her throat were from Katie. The cut on her eyebrow was a thin, red scab. She’d taken off the bandage.

Lex turned her back around and slipped the straps of her bra down her shoulders and gently removed it. He smoothed a palm down her back and felt her tense slightly when he touched an abrasion on her right hip. It began right at the waistband of her jeans.

“You hide pain all the time.”

“So do you.”

Lex helped her to remove her jeans and managed not to grimace when he saw the claw marks that barely looked more like they’d been left by an animal than a human. They were along the side of her hip and the side of her panties.

“Is this where he-”

“He tried,” Chloe said, You came in just afterward.” Her voice cracked slightly. “I’m sorry I wiped blood on you. It was a stupid gesture and I was angry.”
“You were right, something bad always happens when people make deals with men like Jake. And me.”

Chloe opened her mouth to say something but he shook his head. “The fact that you’ve decided, for whatever reason, to forgive me for what I’ve been doing to you, and for what I almost did in the Alley behind Doc Proper’s, doesn’t detract from who I am.”

“Are you trying to frighten me away?”

“I’m not that noble,” he replied and placed a kiss on Chloe neck; in the one spot that was unmarred. Standing in just her panties, Chloe felt vulnerable. She moved up the step of the tub and turned off the water. Balancing on her good hip, she folded a towel along the edge and leaned against it, cushioning the cold marble. Then she slid off the one remaining garment and sat, with her back to him and let him look.

“I don’t like to play show and tell, but if you want to ask, I’ll do it today.”

“It isn’t necessary,” Lex said, dropping his robe and kneeling behind her. “I was just surprised because you didn’t say anything the other night. I wasn’t exactly making the best effort to be gentle.”

“You didn’t hurt me.”

“I did here.” He trailed his fingers down her spine and gently paused, tracing each letter of his name. “Did this hurt as much?”

“It was white-hot agony to have the ink put on, but the pain was pretty much gone as soon as the needle was. So better and worse, I guess.” Chloe looked back at him and ran a finger around his nipple before tracing her own name. “How bad was this?”

“I wished I was fatter,” he said with a small smile. “Having your skin stretched across your ribs doesn’t help when it’s time to put the needle to it.”

“Mine’s bigger.”

“No contest.” Lex looked at her hotly.

Chloe noted the fine sheen of sweat and her eyes traveled south to where she found him looking so hard she wondered if he would burst out of his skin. She reached out and touched the velvet tip, trailing the tiny bead of moisture down under the crown to the sensitive spot underneath.

“Do the bruises turn you on?”

“No, but whenever you touch…your name, the reaction is always the same. Though not always as quickly as when you’re naked while you’re doing it.” He was trying to keep his voice sounding normal. But he was starting to sweat, and his eyes were fastened to her chest.

Lex moved forward and kissed her, hard. He kept his hands on either side of her but their closeness had him pressing his swollen penis against her side. He moved his lips to the back of her neck and peppered her with kisses. She ran a hand up his scalp and wrapped her fingers around his neck to pull him closer. “Tell me if you want me to slow down, ‘kay?” The words barely made it out of his mouth before he was sliding a hand between her legs and stroking her silky-wet skin. Chloe’s only answer was a soft moan. She gripped the side of the tub when Lex turned her over, kissing down her spine to the cleft of her bottom. He spread her folds and plunged two fingers inside her, rubbing hard and fast, surprised at her strong reaction to him, but too aroused to think.

“Hurry,” Chloe panted. “Want you now.” The words were a welcome relieft. The urge to get inside her was too strong. He pushed her legs apart and knelt behind her, wrapping one arm around her breasts for her to rest against instead of the tub and positioned himself at her entrance. He glanced down and saw that their names were touching. Barely touching but he was sure he felt a burn from the letters on her skin.

Lex held Choe’s waist and thrust upward, hard and fast. She let out a cry and he stopped, fully embedded.

“You okay?”

“God, don’t stop.” She arched her back and tried to push him in deeper. Lex steadied himself and began to pump, deep and smoothly, inside her; his hands fondled her breasts and he bit down on her earlobe.

“Talk to me, tell me if it’s too rough.” He prayed that it wasn’t because he wanted to do it harder and faster.

“Keep going.” Chloe tightened her internal muscles and reached back, grabbing for his back or buttocks to try and push him deeper.

Lex started to loose his balance and moved his grip to the rim of the tub. He kneed her legs farther apart till she was almost sitting on his lap. He squeezed her sides with his forearms and thrust harder, picking up his tempo till her could hear their sweaty bodies slapping together. “Fuck,” Chloe managed to say, grinding her pelvis back into him. He felt her start to contract and grabbed her shoulders, slamming her down onto his rigid cock as hard as he could. She came with a scream and he barely lasted a second after she clamped down her inner muscles on him.

After the spasms slowed, Lex moved his hips in a circle, grinding slowly till he felt her relax around him. He was sitting fully on his lap with her legs spread wide on either side of him. He caught his breath and started to untangle their limbs.

“For the record,” he panted. “It’s never that quick.”

“No complaints today.” Chloe’s old tone was back. “Now seems like the perfect time for a bath, though.”

Lex slid out of her and they both froze.

“Shit!”

“No protection!” Chloe turned quickly and faced him. “I didn’t even think about it.”

“I’ll call someone about…it.”

“Alright,” Chloe nodded, allowing him to take control of the situation. “I’m going to rinse off in the shower, then I’ll join you in the bath.”

“How very Turkish of you,” Lex said over his shoulder, knotting a towel around his hips and walking out of the bathroom to the nearest phone.

Once he'd made his calls, he could hear the shower running. The bath really looked inviting so he climbed in, willing himself to not look at the glass walls of the shower.

Next: Tubtime fun with rubber duckies!

lj715
18th December 2005, 16:27
Wow, really great update. Very hot! Really like how Lex & Chloe are with each other in this story. Can't wait for the next update with the rubber duckies.

Blackberry
18th December 2005, 17:07
Ohh... why does he not want to look at the shower...? o_O curious...

but hooot... I want me some action... where's my boy when i need him? *grumbles*

hfce
18th December 2005, 17:40
That was HOT!!!!! :drool: But what really was nice was Lex seeing what she went through. It was painful but necessary. I can't wait to see the rubber ducky time. I am glad Lex thought quick on his feet about the birth control. EEK!!!

pipersmum
18th December 2005, 21:51
Great update It was very touching Lex studying all the marks on her body shame he didn't kiss them better ;) Glad they realised about birth control in the nick of time. I can't wait to read what happens in the bath with the rubber ducks!!! More soon please :D

Kit Merlot
18th December 2005, 23:06
Zelda, excellent update!

I like that lex realizes how strong Chloe is, but that she also needs comforting. And I'm glad that they are finally finished with hurting each other. The smutty scene was fantastic, by the way:grin3:

Nicely done.

teb85
18th December 2005, 23:47
Loved the update ! Smut scene was fantastic and can't wait for the next installment !!

kcsgirl82
19th December 2005, 01:35
Awesome update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE update again soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buffiy18
19th December 2005, 04:32
:wub: GREAT update. Thanks for including something with the Tatoos in the chapter. Loved how Lex could feel his name on his chest when he had Chloe's back to him. You are great at keeping the story believeable and constantly eveloving all the time. Looking forward to the duckies.

Krysia
19th December 2005, 05:23
“You hide pain all the time.”

“So do you.”

“Do the bruises turn you on?”
“No, but whenever you touch…your name, the reaction is always the same. Though not always as quickly as when you’re naked while you’re doing it.”

This was my favourite part of the story....Probably because it shows how perfect they are for eachother. How different and yet how very the same they can be. It also made me ache for both of them, for everything they went through and what lies ahead if them. Still I love it the most because in the end they have each other s I know no matter what the pain it won't brake them.
The second quote marks my other fqavourite part. I like how Chloe always had a special way of getting to Lex, owning some part of him. He's so in control of himself and everyone/everything around him, he only reacts when and how he wants to. But not with CHloe. She knows how to puh his buttons. Either by verbal judo or like here by phisically touching her name.
I loved the description of Lexes room. With all that details it was easier to imagine how it looks like :) I hope they can relax for a bit before reality comes back in.

BellaMR
19th December 2005, 05:53
Great update. Bath time is always fun. I especially loved the visual of their tatoos touching.

I can't wait for the next one.

Frisby816
19th December 2005, 06:33
I love this story...update soon!!!

campbti
19th December 2005, 06:54
That was a fabulous update, trailing through her bruises was so intimate and revealing somehow. Not sure I can describe the emotion there. Loved the sex and that they were so into it that they forgot he protection (not that i advocate that kind of thing normally). More soon, please...

Ann
19th December 2005, 23:25
Well, I've been sitting here for the past five hours or so and have made it to page 31. But I have to go now. I will definately be back later to finish it though. I love this fic. Your version of Lex is just plain sexy and that part where he told her she was pretty was incredibly sweet. Loving it!

star del mar
20th December 2005, 01:42
This story just keeps on getting better and better and of course it has nothing to do with the smut :D riiight. Still great, the image of Lex studying all of Chloe's bruises and wounds was touching. She is one badass chick that can roll with the punches but now at least they're getting along, they're happy and we're getting all the smuttiness, lol. Great job.

Steph*

meg20
20th December 2005, 13:24
Very hot update and also sweet!!!

eternitychlex
21st December 2005, 05:41
That was hot!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it.............I can not wait for more..........Please update soon..............

arkakitty
22nd December 2005, 11:43
Loved the chapter :) It was really great how he discovered all the bruises. Can hardly wait for the next chapter :)

sarajane02
23rd December 2005, 00:30
I have been reading this fic all along, but I have yet to post any feedback. I have really enjoyed this story, Keep up the good work!

showntell
23rd December 2005, 13:35
Another great update. Poor Chlooe with all the bruises and injuries.

Bring on the rubber duckies.

zelda
2nd January 2006, 01:17
Lex was already lounging in the tub when Chloe stepped out of the shower. She patted herself off, just so that she wouldn’t leave a trail of water across the marble floor. She caught a glimpse of herself in the large mirror that hung over the sinks and did a double-take.

“Wow, I look like shit.” Then she tilted her head and met Lex’s eyes, reflected from behind her. “Is this bathroom really so big that the mirrors don’t fog up?” The room was filled with steam, but the mirror was still clear. Lex’s eyes were on her bottom when he answered.

“They heat the mirrors,” he said. “It’s inconvenient to have them fogged up when you’re trying to shave…if one were to shave.”

“Interesting detail.”

“One of many that makes this suite the one I choose when I stay here.”

Chloe ran her hand over her hair, still not used to the brown.

“I think I’d prefer the fog, right now.” She turned and walked to the tub. Lex looked relaxed and stared at her with a lazy appreciation. He didn’t look too bad himself. With his usually pale skin was flushed and damp from the heat. He pulled up his knees when Chloe stepped into the tub and sat across from him. She lowered herself in slowly and he frowned with concern.

“Did the…Doctor I sent you give you something for pain?”

“Yeah, but it makes me drowsy so I’ve just been taking hot showers and doing a lot of yoga.” She winced, then her eyes closed in relief as she leaned back against the back of the tub. “Anyway, the stuff she gave me is really good for helping me to not hurt myself in my sleep. I’ve pulled back muscles before, and sleep ends up being the worst thing if I’m restless.” She shrugged. “I just end up hurting myself if I don’t have something to keep me relaxed.”

“Are you a restless sleeper?” he asked, then bit his lip. “Well, when you haven’t been recently traumatized.”

“Yeah,” she said, opening her eyes and looking at him with a slightly tired, but serious expression. “I haven’t slept well, regularly since high school.” She shrugged again, this time, it didn’t seem as casual. “I really hate all of the labels people put on stuff, but my regular doctor is one of the few people that I talk to about everything that happened back in high school.”

“Do you see a counselor?” Lex leaned forward and picked up one of Chloe’s feet. Being careful not to rub open any of her cuts, he pressed his strong fingers into the undamaged skin, soothing the tension from the muscles.

“I did for a little while after my dad died. I wanted to work through my…anger. He called it grief.” Chloe reached behind her and pressed the button, starting the jets that began the whirling, soothing motion they both hoped would soothe their pain. It obscured their forms to colored masses under the bubbles. “He didn’t think I was dealing with the loss in a healthy way.”

“Hard to believe.”

“Tell me about it.” She sighed as Lex’s fingers found a particularly sensitive spot. “What about you?”

“I was forced into counseling once, but then my doctor ended up dead.” Chloe pulled her foot away and sat up. “What?”

“Nothing, it’s just that…I remember her. Clark and I went to talk to her about not using the shock therapy on you.” Chloe stopped talking.

“You tried to help me back then?”

“Yeah, I didn’t go into the details when we were working on putting your father in prison.” She relaxed again. “For what it’s worth, she was trying to do the right thing when she died.”

“I don’t sleep well, either.” The comment came out in a rush. Lex leaned forward and ran his hands up her arms. “First time I slept more than four hours without waking was with you; last night.”

“Me too.”

They looked at each other for a minute; but the mood was broken by a ringing phone. Lex grabbed a towel and hopped out of the tub. He picked up a small receiver beside the sink and listened for a moment.

“I’ll be right there.” He hung up and knotted the towel around his waist; Chloe pouted aver the loss of the sight of his backside. “Back in a moment.” He left the bathroom, and Chloe heard voices in the suite. She was tempted to turn off the jets to hear better but it would be too obvious that she was eavesdropping. Lex came back in with a plain, white-handled bag. Out of it he took a bottle of water, a tiny blister pack of pills, a small, clear bottle, and a rubber duck. He set the water and pills on the sink. The duck and bottle, he brought with him.

Chloe didn’t need to ask what the pills were for. Her stomach fluttered uncomfortably with the thought of taking them. Lex poured the contents of the bottle into the tub and almost instantly, mounds of frothy bubbles enveloped Chloe. She smiled with pleasure.

“Had to send out for bubble bath?”

“You’ve no idea how tough it is to find this stuff unscented. People seem to think it should be girly-smelling all the time.” He looked so serious that Chloe laughed at his face. He set the duck in the tub and it bobbed around as he got back in.

“I’ll take those right after the bath,” Chloe said, jerking her head at the counter. “I’m pretty sure that the side-effects are going to make me less-than-desirable company for the next few days.”

“She explained the side-effects to me,” he said, confused. “This type has 2 pills and they rarely cause nausea.”

“I’ve taken that kind once before thanks to a broken condom; if it’s the same reaction, I’m the minority who gets the side-effects. I’m going to be a real bitch cause I can’t keep anything but saltines and water down for about 18 hours…then the real fun begins.”

“Cramps?” Lex’s expression was uncomfortable; but he braved the awkward conversation for her sake.

“Lex, I’ll be frank with you, it’s pre-menstral, post-menstral, and cramps;” she leaned forward dramatically, “with a side order of hormones.”

Lex looked comically frightened.

“Then maybe ducky will make you feel better.”

Chloe looked at the duck; it had been bobbing around them merrily, surfing the bubbles and nudging the occasional knee or toe that stuck in its way. Scooping it out of the water, Chloe looked at it, noticing the chain around its neck. Out of the bubbles rose a pendant. Similar in style to the garnet, but a large, teardrop amethyst surrounded by tiny diamonds. The chain was white gold and delicate, she lifted it over the duck’s head.

“Lex, you didn’t have to do this.” She looked at him in confusion. “I mean, I know I’m going to be bitchy, but I won’t bite.”

“Actually, I picked this out yesterday to go with the purple sweater. I just didn’t find the right time to give them to you.” He looked a little sheepish. “Um, giving you pills that are going to make you miserable for a little while seemed like the opportune moment.”

“Well, not everybody has a problem with them. I just have a sensitive stomach.”

“Do you want me to get you a heating pad and let you torture the room service people for the next few days?”

“Tempting, but I’m going to go home and get my apartment back in order. Sheri and I were going to meet for dinner and she’s helping me.”

“Well, let me know if there’s anything I can do.”

“I have insurance so the repairs shouldn’t be a problem, just a pain for cleanup. Can’t hire a crew when you have confidential information lying around,” she said, pushing the duck back towards him.

“Sooo,” Lex said, catching the duck and dunking it under a few tines. “I know it’s not a giant blue diamond, but didn’t you say something about airbrushing…and your bare buttocks?”

“Speaking of buttocks, I can think of an interesting place we can park ducky.”

“Wow, those pills work from all the way over there?” Lex’s comment was met with a face-full of water and the ensuing splashing fight wet most of the towels and sent Chloe’s new pet ducky flying. Eventually, they both dried off and actually took a two-hour nap before Lex had to get up for another meeting.

Chloe got dressed and went back to her suite. She wore the lilac sweater and a pair of jeans. She didn’t wear the pendant, but Lex gave her the matching earrings and she had those on instead.

Sheri arrived at six-thirty and caught Chloe up in a tight hug as soon as she opened the door.

“I thought security was going to strip-search me downstairs,” she said, running her hands up and down her friend’s arms. “I’ve been worried.” She brushed back Chloe’s bangs and gently touched the cut above her eye. “God, I didn’t see that on the news, you must’ve had a great make-up artist.”

“That wasn’t from the cop.” A lump suddenly formed in Chloe’s throat and tears welled unexpectedly. “Um, I had a…problem, afterward.” The sympathy of a friend broke down the last barrier that had been holding her up and Chloe cried as she told her friend about what Jake had done. Sheri soothed and listened and cried. Then she listened some more as the entire story came out about Lex and Shelley and her, as-yet-undefined relationship. She left out some details about Shelley, as she’d promised, and they ordered dinner.

Chloe excused herself and took the emergency contraception pills in the bathroom. She returned for dessert and ate a light sorbet. A knock on the door surprised her, she hadn’t expected Lex to return this evening.

“Did I miss the food?” Charlie leaned in the doorway, looking like he’d showered and changed since she’d seen him last. His eyes were on the other occupant of the suite and not the table, however. “And who’s your lovely friend?” He didn’t wait for Chloe to invite him in, he just limped past her and over to where Sheri was seated.

“Charlie, this is my friend, Sheri Benson,” she said as Charlie held out his hand and assisted Sheri to her feet. “Charlie is the one I was telling you about.”

“I can’t say how grateful I am for what you did for Chloe,” she said, earnestly.

“You’re welcome to try, Love,” Charlie replied, kissing the back of Sheri’s graceful hand. The elegant woman seemed a little flustered at the gesture. Chloe watched with fascination as Charlie used his charm on her best friend. He certainly didn’t stop by for food this evening; his gaze was intent on the lovely lady standing before him.

Chloe cocked her head and noted that they looked very good standing together. Charlie made his excuses and winked at Sheri before turning back toward the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, dropping a brief kiss on Chloe’s forehead.

“That was…” Sheri looked as surprised as Chloe did.

“Yeah, that, was Charlie.”

hfce
2nd January 2006, 02:26
What a great update to start the new year with. I love how they are opening up little by little to eachother. I can't wait to read the next update.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

katieandjason
2nd January 2006, 02:53
:rofl: I love Charlie, he's the best side character ever created. Also, Lex and Chloe together in the tub was funny, cute, and endearing. It's nice to have a little breather like that after so much drama and angst.

lj715
2nd January 2006, 03:38
Loved the update! Wow, Chloe taking a bath with Lex...god I'm jealous. Charlie is great as usual. Can't wait for the next update.

star del mar
2nd January 2006, 04:45
Lex is such a sweetheart, I almost can't stand it :) But he's just trying to be so good with Chloe and keep her comfortable...and diamonds aren't so bad either, heh. Charlie's distracted! Not that I don't love him but now Chlex isn't in danger :D Great update!

Steph*

Shanna
2nd January 2006, 05:49
I adore Charlie. And if I wasn't such a Chlexer, I'd be a...a...Charloer, or would that be Chlarlier. You get the picture. Loved the rubber ducky and the manly bubbles. Too cute!

Shanna

showntell
2nd January 2006, 10:00
Has Lex got some sort of bath fetish? Rubber duckies and bubble bath???

Did she actually take the pills?

maire78
2nd January 2006, 13:01
Great chapter, please update again soon.

pipersmum
2nd January 2006, 13:23
Lex Luthor playing with a rubber duck:wth: !!! That is quite a odd image plus Lex liking bubbles but not the girlie smell they don't think of men when making bubbles:P Charlie was great as usual I can sense a romance between Charlie and Sheri coming on;)
Looking forward to the next part.

meg20
2nd January 2006, 16:32
Nice fun in the bath and the ducky:rofl: Is Chloe going to play matchmaker for her friends?
Lovely update!!!:D

Dreamergirl
2nd January 2006, 22:59
Excellent update!! I'll appreciate that little tid bit about the mirror the next time a million dollars fall out of the sky and the SO is complaining for a vacation. ;) Lol. I think the scene in the bathroom was really well down, it was intimate and personal by sharing all the details(the sleep statements made me awww) without being overdone. The dialouge also flowed really well. And the line "You’ve no idea how tough it is to find this stuff unscented. People seem to think it should be girly-smelling all the time" was brilliant, hahah great great words from Lex luthor. I also noticed how smooth your transistion was from quiet to jokes about the duck. Oooh and the duck and the pendent? Gosh I need a man like that haha.

My heart went out once again to Chloe at 'The sympathy of a friend broke down the last barrier that had been holding her up... ' why is it always when someone asks if you're okay that you cry harder?

Once again greattt chapter, good to see how the relationship is delevoping. And I'm interested to see where you take Charlie and Sherie ( I love him by the way!!).

BellaMR
2nd January 2006, 23:13
Excellant update.
I loved Charlie as always and can't wait for a happy ending for him as well.

teb85
2nd January 2006, 23:29
Great as usual !!! Lex and the rubber duck with the pendant was very sweet!can't wait for the next update.

campbti
3rd January 2006, 02:37
loved the update. so happy to see that charlie might get something good out of this too. can't wait for the "definition" in the "as yet undefined" relationship.

GivenToFly
3rd January 2006, 02:53
So I recently started reading this story. I've *finally* caught up with all the updates.

I love love love it. It's creative, intense, funny, and emotional. You have written Lex and Chloe beautifully, and your other characters have so much depth as well. There's so many good things to say :). Your writing is addictive and I can't wait to read more.

Hee. I can't seem to get the images of Lex playing with a rubber duckie out of my head. Ha, too cute.

Kit Merlot
4th January 2006, 02:05
Excellent update!

Loved Charlie working his considerable mojo on Sherri--very sweet:D

And I love how honest Lex and Chloe are being with each other--this was an emotional chapter.

I'm glad that Lex and Chloe are finally healing--that is truly the best pay off of this story--Great work, Zelda;)

eternitychlex
4th January 2006, 18:40
I am loving it..........I can not wait to see what happens next...........Please update soon.......

buffiy18
6th January 2006, 00:54
Interesting... Charlie and Sheri...

Loved the ducky... hope to see him again.

Zanzu
8th January 2006, 04:17
I finally got through all the chapters. I love this fic! Definitely one of my favorites so far.

kirt30
25th January 2006, 20:00
great story an't wait to read what happens next

zelda
2nd February 2006, 05:27
A/N: Okay, sorry it took so long, I’ve been re-vamping some of my old work and re-working my computer. Regards to Ann.

“I think everyone in the entire city is attending this ‘exclusive’ charity event,” Chloe complained while Sheri fastened the Amethyst pendant around Chloe’s neck. With her back-to-blonde hair curled and pinned up, she thought the pendant would nice with the neckline of the dress she was wearing.

“You’re probably right,” Sheri replied. “I don’t have to worry about a date, though, I’m taking an assistant with me. We’ve been discussing it and decided that we’re going ‘Doe’ for the evening and trolling for ‘stags’.”

Sheri said it so calmly that Chloe burst out laughing. “Well, Charlie insisted on being my date, against doctor’s orders. He said he wouldn’t be doing much dancing, but he’s healing pretty fast.”

“The bullet didn’t do that much damage?”

“It just didn’t get in that deep, it was a ricochet and tore him up a little, but his surgeon sewed him up and said that he’d need to see a therapist about regaining all of his movement after he’s completely healed.”

“But he’s still hurting?”

“He won’t say, he just sings the praises of the medication he’s on and since he’s out on medical leave, he won’t leave me alone.”

“You have my sympathy,” Sheri said, sarcastically. She looked absolutely stunning in a long, slinky, copper dress that hugged her lean, tall form and flowed down her legs. “My fellow Doe should be arriving shortly, I gave her directions to your apartment.”

Chloe had continued to refuse Lex’s offer of a gown, not only out of pride, but she already had one she’d purchased and not worn yet. It was a simple, cocktail design that hugged and flattered her figure. It had a skirt that was short in front and longer, tango-styled in the back. It was basic black with a clutch she’d purchased with Shelley that had some purple beading on it to accent the necklace. She found that when she couldn’t compete financially with the money in the room, elegance and class went a long way.

The women were going to be picked up by Charlie and driven to the event. Chloe didn’t like the idea of him driving under the influence of whatever drugs he was on, but he insisted that it was taken care of.

Imigene Summers, Sheri’s assistant, arrived, already dressed and coiffed. She was Chloe’s age, and had had dark brown hair that was pulled up and wore a sage-green, silk dress that accented her green eyes. It was cut very low in the back with a delicate, gold chain draped across, above her waist. She had a bright smile and cheerfully held up a bottle of Krystal, champagne.

“Since nobody’s driving, I thought we might start off the evening with a toast.”

Sheri went to get champagne flutes while Chloe finished her makeup. Imigene talked to Chloe for a few minutes while Sheri wrestled with the cork. She seemed very bright and sweet. She’d worked for several companies before Sheri had discovered her and poached her with a better salary. “If I’m not completely happy with my job, I’ll go to the highest bidder,” she said, cheerfully. The three women toasted to an evening sure to be filled with pompous jackasses and their trophy wives and husbands.

Between the three of them, they finished the bottle quickly and Chloe answered the door when Charlie arrived with a big grin and slightly pink cheeks.

“Hi.” She looked at her date. Charlie was dressed in a tuxedo that had obviously been made for him. Various proms and dances had shown her tuxedos, but working for and with some of the wealthiest people in the city of Metropolis showed her custom-tailored and there was no comparison. Charlie’s hair was carefully combed and gelled away from his face. He had a silver-headed cane of polished ebony and looked fantastic. “Charlie, you look hot,” she said, stupidly. “I’ve never seen you…”

“Cleaned up?” he asked. She shrugged and let him in.

“You’re earlier than we expected or we’d have saved you some Krystal,” she said.

“It’s alright,” he replied, “I have two bottles chilling in the car. “He took her hand and slowly turned her in a full circle. “You look delicious, Love.” He brushed his lips over her knuckles. “Fabulous stones, by the way.” He walked past her carefully, and slowly, but without the assistance of the cane. “Ms. Benson, isn’t it?” he called out, startling Sheri who’d been sitting on the couch. “It’s lovely to see you again.”

The ride over to the ball was boisterous and fun. Charlie had hired a driver to take them in a Mercedes limousine. They drank Krystal and Imigine and Sheri got a chance to chat with Charlie. He sat beside Chloe, with his arm draped casually around her shoulder, but the blonde wasn’t fooled. His eyes were on her friend, Sheri. She secretly wondered if she’d have been taken in by the charm he was laying on the recent divorcee. He was really good when he wanted to be. His accent became a little more clipped, and he held back on his usual naughtiness.

When they arrived at the Statton Center, a large building that had originally been a Victorian mansion. In a crowded city, it looked like an oasis of green lawn surrounded by a high iron fence. It had been donated by its previous owners, along with a large chunk of money for its upkeep, for the purpose of researching rare blood disorders. The owner had lost a son to sickle cell anemia when he’d been unable to get a transfusion after a car accident. Out of the tragedy had come something good. The house was converted partly into the administrative branch of the research center and the rest of the house converted into a place to entertain and raise money. There were also rooms for distinguished guests and occasionally for the families of patients who were visiting the research facility at Metropolis General Hospital.

The outside of the building betrayed nothing of its commercial use other than a handicapped accessible entrance and a brass plaque beside the gates. The uniformed valet opened the door for them and held out his hand. Chloe took it and stepped out onto the driveway in front of the brightly-lit entrance. She discreetly offered her hand to Charlie who discreetly held it for assistance, getting out. They stepped forward and walked to the edge of the steps and waited until Sheri and Imigene joined them. Charlie put a hand at the small of Chloe’s back and walked up the steps with her to the entrance hallway.

The polished, oak floors gleamed in the front hall. The ballroom was easily spotted halfway down on the right side. An attendant asked for their invitations and names. She checked them off on a list and wished them a good evening.

“How do I look?” Chloe asked, suddenly nervous. With her investigating job over, she felt silly showing up. Lex had asked, so she’d come anyway, feeling a little out of place.

“Stunning,” Charlie said, tugging her sheer, beaded wrap from her shoulders. “Show some more skin.” He rubbed her shoulder absently with his thumb and scanned the room as they stepped into the doorway. A flashbulb popped in front of them, catching Chloe looking up at Charlie.

“Smile, sweetheart,” sneered a familiar voice.

“Didn’t expect to see you here, Bobby.” Charlie’s voice was cold, his tone, condescending. “I figured you’d be outside in the bushes or something.” Chloe frowned. She didn’t like the idea of Bobby the walking cliché, but the other Private Investigator’s presence meant someone was being followed.

“Got a press pass, tonight, Charlie.” He grinned and flashed his plastic badge at them. “I must say you’re looking absolutely gorgeous.” He licked his lips crudely as he eyed her cleavage. She leaned forward, allowing him a better look.

“Who’re you following?” she asked in a loud whisper. He shrugged and lifted his camera as if to take a picture of her breasts. Charlie’s large hand closed over the lens and he gave it a quick jerk, yanking Bobby’s head forward since the strap was around his neck.
“We can blow your cover in a New York minute, Bobby,” he said in a low voice. “Or we can give you a professional courtesy.”

“I’m here on legit, magazine business,” he said, grabbing for the strap. He held his id closer. His invitation was apparently paid for by the Inquisitor. Chloe wrinkled her nose.

“Keep your distance tonight, Bobby,” she said.

“Hey, I’ve already got a shot of the newest celebrities in town. I can probably go home.”

“Great idea,” Charlie said, moving Chloe to his other side and walking into the room. “There’s definitely something happening,” he whispered to her.

“How do you know?”

“His badge is a plus One. He’s someone’s date, employee, or spy.”

“Shit.”

“It’ll hit the fan soon enough, Love. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

lj715
2nd February 2006, 05:38
I'm so glad you updated this story, it's so good. Can't wait for Lex's reaction to Chloe @ the party. Still love Charlie. I think Chloe should take his advice & show more skin. This Bobby seems like he's gonna be a problem though. Can't wait for the next update.

showntell
2nd February 2006, 12:11
Oh the joy of an update...woohoo!

I'm glad you are including the charity ball...I just know interesting stuff is going to happen.

pipersmum
2nd February 2006, 12:54
Fantastic I can't wait for the next part to find out if there is going to be any trouble and if there is will Chloe be in the middle of it ;)

Kit Merlot
2nd February 2006, 14:53
Very interesting update, Zelda!

So who is this Bobby jackass actually spying on?

But I do adore how charming Charlie's being not only to Chloe, but to Sherri.

Very nice:D

hfce
2nd February 2006, 17:16
Ok I appreciated this update it was great but why didn't Lex pick up Chloe? I hopeeverything is still good between them and why is that guy causing trouble? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Hope ;)

Ann
2nd February 2006, 18:50
Whew! First of all, I am so sorry it has taken me so long to finally get caught up!

A/N: Okay, sorry it took so long, I’ve been re-vamping some of my old work and re-working my computer. Regards to Ann.

Thank you! I love the dress you gave Imigene. Very pretty sounding. And I love how you made her friends with Chloe and Sheri. Makes me feel rather special. :)

Have I told you yet how much I adore Charlie? The guy is just too adorable! The pissing contest between him and Lex was hillarious because I could just imagine them duking it out in the hallway.

I SO want to kill Jake myself. That guy needs to just disappear. I swear there were times where I just wanted to cry about what he did to Chloe.

And Lex. I am so loving your version of Lex. He's so incredibly hot! I loved the part between him and Jake in Jake's apartment. That was so great. Especially the part where he broke his nose!

Anyway, this fic is beyond great and I look forward to reading more of it!

eternitychlex
2nd February 2006, 20:37
Awesome.................I wonder what is going to happen at the party; what is that Bobby character planning..........Please update soon........I love it and I can not wait for the Chlex...............

star del mar
3rd February 2006, 05:18
Even when Chloe's trying to enjoy herself trouble just seems to always be around the corner, what a mess. But I can't wait to see what's going on now and where is Lex? He better be all dressed up somewhere :) Great update!

Steph*

Dreamergirl
3rd February 2006, 08:06
Ergh me too Charlie.
Way to build up the scene, waiting anxiously for the next!

buffiy18
4th February 2006, 07:42
Come again... back... need more. I love this fix. I'm glad to see Charlie recovering and I'm assuming Chloe is better too... otherwise she would look horrible in that dress with bruises showing all over the place.

Hopefully we will see some Chlex in the next chatper.

teb85
9th February 2006, 19:23
oh can't wait to see what happens next !!! Great update !!

Willower
10th February 2006, 03:22
i got so behind in this story and it was so great to get caught up: katie, shelley, the whole charlie connection to gabe, and finally that shitstain of humanity jake. It was all wonderful!

zho9
17th February 2006, 05:09
Only on Ch. 10 but was LOL about Chloe going a little nuts about the pillow. I can't believe she actually set fire to it!

starmoon
17th February 2006, 07:04
great update i can't wait for the next perfect chapter.

zelda
26th February 2006, 17:01
Imigen and Sheri made a flashy entrance. Chloe noticed Charlie admiring Sheri’s statuesque form from the vicinity of the buffet table.

"Speaking of shit," Chloe said, recognizing a face from across the room.
"Sheri should get a head’s up." She pointed her chin in the direction of the large windows. Charlie glanced over and nodded.

"The lovely Ms. Benson’s idiot of an ex-husband." He didn’t look surprised to see the man. "If you’ll excuse me, honeybee, I’ll just bend her ear for a moment." He rolled his shoulders carefully and met Sheri and imagine as they made their way over to where Chloe was standing. He gently placed a hand on her elbow and though Chloe couldn’t hear him speak, she did notice her friend’s smile go from genuine to frozen.

Imigen gave a quick, discreet glance over to where Marcus Benson, Sheri’s ex-husband and his former secretary, current fiancée were sipping their drinks and chatting with an older couple. She sneered and Chloe scoffed.

"She looks cheap, even when she’s wearing Prada," she said cattily to Sheri’s assistant.

"Last-season, Prada, no less," the other woman replied. They deliberately turned their backs on the couple and Charlie leaned down and whispered to Sheri, touching her bare shoulder with his fingertips. She nodded silently and he handed his cane to Chloe who held it as he led her lovely friend onto the floor. The band was already playing and there were several couples who were braving the floor already, but none quite as eye-catching as her two friends.

Imigin plucked a pair of champagne flutes from a passing waiter and a strawberry from the buffet table. She handed a flute to Chloe and leaned close.

"For someone who just got shot a week ago, your guy moves great."

"Oh, Charlie’s not my guy," Chloe said, "he…well, he looks after me, but we’re friends, he’s free as a bird." They watched Charlie and Sheri move together; Sheri’s heels made her long, lean frame look taller and she definitely fit the ridiculously tall Englishman…about as well as anyone would.

They danced slowly but Chloe had a feeling that even a fast song wouldn’t have stopped her friend from asking Sheri to dance, even if it meant more pain from his healing injury. They drew stares. Chloe watched Marcus who’d stopped listening to his fiancée and watched his former wife. He was handsome and charismatic with smooth, noble features and dark skin and eyes, but that was about it. Chloe had met him, even before she’d needed to follow him, and noted that his charm was what drew people and made him successful in sales. He really wasn’t particularly smart. But then, losing a woman like Sheri proved that point.

Following Imigin’s example, Chloe plucked a plump strawberry from the artfully arranged pile on the buffet and started looking around the room in earnest. She told herself she wasn’t looking for anyone in particular, but couldn’t help noting the bald heads and their locations. She and Imigen chatted idly as they watched the dancers and didn’t notice another presence until Chloe felt a set of cool fingertips brush her arm.

"You look very nice tonight." Chloe turned and smiled at Shelly who smiled back, nervously. "I-uh, just meant it as a compliment. I didn’t-" She was obviously nervous.

"I knew this gown was going to look amazing on you, Shelley," she said, placing her hand on the other woman’s elbow. "And I was right." She introduced Shelley to Imigen and the two women shook hands. Imagine politely asked how she was, and if the press were being difficult. She was kind in her words and seemed sympathetic to the limelight that had recently been cast on Shelley.

Though the details of Katie Tan’s arraignment were being kept under wraps until her court date, there were never any true secrets in a big case. Chloe’s past friendship with Lex had been brought up as well as her involvement in his father’s incarceration…his brief incarceration. She’d granted no interviews at the request of her employers. She’d asked for, and received, her saved up vacation time to lay low. They were both overjoyed at the good press that it brought their company; having one of their detectives stumble upon a potentially dangerous cop while valiantly attempting to protect the girlfriend of the man who’d hired her.

Shelley was in a potentially dangerous situation and Chloe could understand her fear. Lex had opted to stay with her, publicly for a while and imply that he’d hired Chloe to watch his girlfriend suspecting that she might be in danger, not that she might be cheating on him. Few people bought that story, and with a female police officer trying to kill the detective, it looked even worse. She was taking a big chance talking to Chloe in public, a chance that panned out for Bobby the slug.

"Smile ladies," he said, as his flashbulb popped, giving them no time to even look at the camera. "How ‘bout a nice one of you, Shelley with your hero."

Before either woman could say anything, a heavy hand landed on Bobby’s shoulder.

"I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you to stop taking pictures of my lady and her friends." Lex’s voice was silky and dangerous. Chloe felt a shiver run up her spine at the sound. "You’re being extremely disruptive when you run up and snap that thing in people’s faces, we’re all here for a good cause and I don’t think your employer wants to know that you’re ruining it by harassing the guests." He leaned in. "I let you off the hook once, Bobby, I’m not going to do it again." He was referring to when Charlie had caught him following Lex while Chloe was following Shelley. He’d been working for Dr. Tanner in the hope of getting some pictures to blackmail him.

Bobby walked away with a frown and Lex turned to wink at Shelley, then he walked over to a group of men that stood near the patio door. Chloe recognized one of the men as a businessman from Gotham city, but she couldn’t place his name. Imigen supplied it for her.

"That’s Bruce Wayne," she said, nodding at the dark-haired man. Next to him was another handsome gentleman, but one Chloe easily recognized. "And Clark Kent, a friend of yours if I remember correctly." Chloe raised her eyebrows as the three men stood near the door. Three very intriguing and enigmatic men. Imigen put her thoughts into words.

"All that meat and no potatoes," she said softly. Then she downed her champagne, straightened her shoulders and excused herself to cross the room.

"She’s bold," Chloe said. "I’ll give her that." She smiled at Shelley. "How are you holding up. Really?"

"Not too good. Lex is being okay about it, all things considered, but I really don’t like the idea of an insanity plea on Katie’s part. If she goes that route, Lex warned me that she’ll try to make me out to be the bad guy. The one leading her astray and allowing her to risk her career without any intention of standing by her or something like that. Some… sob story." She sounded distressed, but not just for herself.

"Shelley, there was no way you could’ve predicted that she’d get homicidal. And from what you told me earlier," she lowered her voice, "you didn’t intend to get involved in the first place."

"God, I can’t talk about this now." She turned away as a group of people approached them. Chloe recognized a few faces, Metropolis’ wealthy elite. She slipped an arm through Shelley’s and walked along the front of the table, hoping that the group was headed for the buffet.

"Excuse me," Chloe stopped at the sound of a woman’s voice. "Are you Chloe Sullivan?" ‘Here we go,’ she thought.

"Yes," she answered politely. "Have we met?" It was the standard reply, inviting the other person to confess to being a media hound.

"No, Dear," the lady answered. She looked about sixty and wore and ice-blue gown covered in crystal beads. "I just recognized you from the news story." She smiled kindly. "That was a very brave thing you did and I just wanted to tell you that." She reached out a hand and placed it possessively on Chloe’s wrist. "Let me introduce my husband." Feeling her stomach sink, she released Shelley who gratefully slipped away before she was recognized too. "You’ve changed your hair, it took me a moment before I could put a name to your face, but I never forget one." She smiled. "My name is Louise Wagner." She pronounced the last name with an exaggerated ‘Vaaahgnahh’. "And this is my husband, Richard."

The man looked close to a Hundred years old. He extended a shaking hand and nearly missed Chloe’s, bumping his fingers into her stomach before she grasped the frail hand. His blue eyes were clouded with cataracts but he smiled widely, showing an impressive set of very white dentures attached to a set of very gray gums.

"Pleased to meet you Miss," he said. He reached out for his wife’s arm and brushed the side of Chloe’s breast as he walked by. She chuckled to herself as Louise tucked the wandering hand firmly in her elbow. She couldn’t fault the man, if he couldn’t oogle the women around, and his libido was still intact, he’d obviously found a way to compensate.

The current song ended and Charlie returned with Sheri. Despite Chloe’s protests about his injuries, he led her out onto the dance floor. He held her formally, but close and moved slowly and carefully. She matched his pacing and steps.

"How’s she doing?" Chloe asked, nodding her head at Sheri who had joined Imigen with Clark, Lex, and Bruce.

"She’ll be just fine, it’s her bastard of a husband who’s in trouble. He’s stuck with a brain dead, whiny harpy because he couldn’t crawl back to his fabulous wife." He shook his head. "Losing all of that over a blowjob. Fucking loon." Chloe choked on her laughter and Charlie patted her back, carefully. "Ease up, Love, I’m passing you off to do a little snooping. Stay visible and approachable."

Chloe looked up at him in surprise when a familiar voice spoke into her ear.

"May I cut in?"

"You may," Charlie answered, twirling Chloe in a graceful circle that ended in Lex’s arms. He placed her hand at his waist and held the other against his chest and moved her around the dance floor with a casual grace that revealed his experience. Other than at his wedding, she’d never seen him dance; he moved rather well, but that wasn’t a surprise, he was a fencer, and a fighter.

"You’re a pretty good dancer," she said, staring over his shoulder, feeling suddenly conspicuous.

"I try not to indulge in public very often, ruins my bad boy image."

"I don’t think anything as simple as dancing could do that." She looked him in the eye. "So your mystery is solved, but you still wanted me to come tonight? What gives?"

"I just have a feeling that everything isn’t played out just yet. I wanted you here tonight," he answered.

"Don’t worry, Mr. Luthor, I’m still on your payroll. I’ll still protect you."

"That wasn’t quite what I had in mind." His voice was suddenly cold. He tilted his head slightly, his attention caught. Chloe couldn’t look until he’d turned her around and had to wait for several steps until she was facing the other direction. Her heart thumped several times in the span of a second when she saw Jake Harris shaking hands with the head of the fundraiser. He was smiling broadly for the camera. Even more disturbing was the man standing with him. Dr. Robert Tanner.

"Oh shit!" Chloe stopped cold. Lex pulled her closer and turned her around, aiming for the other direction. "This is turning out to be a little more interesting than I thought."

"Understatement, Sullivan." Lex looked visibly angered. "It’s a fucking nightmare." He jerked his chin and Chloe turned her head to where Charlie was standing with Bruce Wayne, The tall man slipped away and headed for the balcony. "See if you can round up Shelley and meet us outside. I’d rather not be here with this crowd."

"Alright," Chloe said, they were at the edge of the dance floor and parted ways. Chloe looked around but didn’t see Shelley immediately. She did catch Imigen’s eye and nodded to where Sheri was standing near the buffet table. The younger woman cocked her head, but excused herself and moved toward her employer.

Checking the most likely place, Chloe went to the nearest ladies’ room. Shelley wasn’t there, so she slipped up the stairs and began checking doors. Most were locked, the only one that wasn’t was empty. She was coming down the stairs when she caught a whiff of a strong, chemical smell. She turned around and sniffed, trying to identify it. Its sharp acrid odor was unfamiliar. She moved down the stairs and approached one of the volunteers who’d been welcoming guests.

"Yes, Ma’am?"

"I know the upstairs is off limits and I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find my friend and I went up to see if she was getting away from the crowd. There’s a really weird, chemical odor coming from up there, like something’s burning."

The young lady moved around her towards the stairs. Chloe slipped back into the ballroom and scanned it with her eyes. She caught sight of Shelley in the corner, with an annoyed expression on her face. Even from behind, Chloe recognized Jake Harris who had cornered her and was talking.

Chloe moved across the floor and approached Shelley. Ignoring Jake, she stepped between them.

"Hey, I was just looking for you," she said, clutching Shelley’s slender arm.
"I need you to come with me." She gave her arm a warning squeeze."

"No problem," Shelley said, "I was just about to tell this asshole to fuck off." She said it so calmly that Jake gasped. Chloe barely spared him a glance and steered the other woman towards the terrace.

"I think we’ve got a problem," she said. "We’ve got to find the men folk." Just as she said it, the smoke alarms went off. "Shit."

"Double it," Shelley added as the sprinkler system went off on top of them.

lj715
26th February 2006, 17:55
Great update! I wondered what that chemical smell was but, once the fire alarms went off, I guessed it was something used to start a fire. I was hoping we'd get more of Chloe dancing with Lex. Jake Harris is such a nuisance. Lex should permanently get rid of him. Can't wait for the next chapter.

hfce
26th February 2006, 19:00
Guh I want more. Please....

Hope :beg:

Ann
26th February 2006, 22:18
Loved the new chapter! Gads I hate Jake! He needs to be shipped to some far off country to live with the pigmies or something. And who's trying to burn the place down? Can't wait for more!

campbti
26th February 2006, 23:32
huh, I am always suprised by the new and different things that you throw in this story and the direction it takes. I like it. I love chloe and lex and who can't love charlie. wow and now bruce and clark (ok, could do without cluck). but can't wait to see where you are going now...

star del mar
27th February 2006, 05:06
What the hell is going on? And that statement isn't meant in a bad way :) But just when everything seemed to be sorting itself out after all the drama it doesn't seem like that's going to happen so easily, lol. There's always some kind of plan in motion or maybe I'm just jumping the gun. We have to wait and see, damn! Great update! :D

Steph*

Mel
27th February 2006, 05:15
Fire alarm?
Bruce Wayne?
Lex dancing?
I can't believe you left it there.
Update your fantastic story, please.

pipersmum
27th February 2006, 11:51
This just gets more and more interesting! Lex needs to get rid of Jake for good! Loved it that you wrote Clark and Bruce was there, I wanted Chloe to have a dance with Bruce ;)

The fire alarm has gone off so I presume that means trouble for Chloe I can't wait to read what happens next :D

zho9
27th February 2006, 16:13
It's getting more complicated...and I love it. Now Clark and Bruce? Can't wait to see what happens next.

jedi
27th February 2006, 21:36
when i think the end is coming soon, every update you're getting it more interesting. You rock! i can't wait to see what is it, chemical stuff. dammit, please give us an update asap

eternitychlex
28th February 2006, 03:13
I am loving this story...........though I am confused of what is going on right now.............but it is so interesting and so good............Please update soon........It's amazing this story.........

Kit Merlot
1st March 2006, 04:18
Zelda, this was a cool chapter, but your update has left me with several questions!

Will Clark and Bruce be playing a role in the solving of this mystery?

Please update soon:D

Beck
1st March 2006, 07:09
I just caught up on this story and am loving it. Post an update soon, Pretty please.

lilinny
5th March 2006, 03:02
I just read this whole story!!! I love it! I almost thought it was over with Chloe and Lex making up and Charlie and Sheri hooking up. You are still able to come up with more. What a roller coaster ride!!!

celticangel
12th March 2006, 20:28
This is one of the best stories ever!! So PLEASE, PLEEEEEASE say your going to continue!!

zelda
19th March 2006, 17:57
No matter how well-bred or wealthy a crowd is, a large group of individuals will always panic at a loud alarm and being rained upon while indoors. People began moving en masse towards the door. Chloe held Shelley back a moment and tried to catch sight of Charlie. He’d be impossible to miss in this crowd.

"The others went to the balcony, they might still be in that area," Chloe said, watching the solid wall of bodies blocking the exit. She was concerned, but a niggling sensation in the back of her psyche made her want to watch the people, not the immediate danger of the alarms.

"I’d rather not wait."

"I smelled something when I went upstairs looking for you," Chloe said, taking her arm. "One of the volunteers went to check it out."

"Hopefully it’s just a precaution." Shelley moved forward towards the crowd. Chloe let her go and walked along the back, towards the balcony doors. She hadn’t seen Lex or Charlie but she went out anyway. The balcony appeared empty but she stepped out onto the wet, slippery marble and called out.

"Charlie, Lex?" She walked around a pillar and towards the other door but it was shut and locked. The lights on the other side of the glass doors went out. She heard the gasps and exclamations, muffled through the door. The lights in the garden below her flickered and went out as well.
She shook the water out of her eyes and went back to the doors where she’d come in. They were shut and she was certain she’d left them open. As she reached for one of the handles, she heard a click and saw movement on the other side of the curtains that covered the double-paned glass doors.

She knocked quickly on the window and called out.
"Hey, I’m still out here." The movement ceased and the curtain drew back for a moment, she was greeted with a smile, a crude gesture then the replacement of the curtains. "Hey!" Chloe pounded on the window again.
So far, she was only pissed and inconvenienced. It was no reason to panic or start calling for a heroic rescue. She checked all of the doors and windows, finding all of them locked and dark and nothing strong enough to break the security glass, she watched for anyone spilling out into the garden. With no lights, she saw nothing at all. Finally, when she caught a whiff of thick, acrid smoke, she began to worry.

Lex followed Charlie though the edges of the crowd, he spotted Shelley and seized her hand in the hallway.

"Where were you?"

"Chloe just found me, she said you were out near the balcony, I started to look for you."

"Is she with you?"

"I think she went looking for you two." Shelley turned around and looked at her. "On the balcony." Since Shelley was one of the last people to exit the ballroom, the doors swung shut with a buzzing sound. Fire doors meant to protect the room, or the rest of the house. Bruce Wayne, Lex’s friend looked at them quizzically.

"Where is she?" Charlie hadn’t heard them speaking. He was like a rock in the midst of a fast current of people. He had one hand around Sheri’s waist, tucking her against his side. Imigen was on Sheri’s other side and Mr. Wayne closer to the doors.

"I don’t know," Shelley said. "I lost her in the crowd." Lex started back to the doors but a security guard stopped him.

"I’m sorry sir, but once the fire doors have closed, we cannot allow any guests back inside."

"I think there’s someone still in there," he said. "On the balcony."

"Please let security handle it, sir, I can’t have two missing people. Now what does she look like?"

Lex gave a brief description of Chloe and a young lady in a purple dress walked up.

"That’s the lady who warned me. She pointed me upstairs."

"So there is a fire?" Bruce interrupted smoothly at the lady’s elbow.

"We’re currently investigating the source…" her voice trailed off as he held her gaze. "Yeah, started upstairs, we’ve sealed it off, but the library-"

"We need to evacuate, now," Bruce interrupted. "How close is the fire department?"

"They should be here any second," the guard said. "I need to clear the building. Please follow the staff onto the lawn to the left of the driveway, it’s open and you’ll probably find your friend there." He pushed everyone out in front of him.

"Where’s Clark?" Lex asked Charlie.

"He left just before we went out to the balcony," the big man shrugged.
"While you were dancing."

They filed out of the building, having little alternative. A few people had flashlights, the volunteers and staff, mostly. The garden was dark, Lex looked around him and Shelley slipped her fingers into his hands.

"What is it?"

"Something’s wrong," he said. "It’s not just the fire; the lights shouldn’t be out like this."

"We should try to find Chloe." He nodded in agreement and began weaving through the crowd, tugging Shelley behind him, she stopped suddenly.
"Where’s Bruce?"

Sheri and Imigen stayed close to Charlie, and when the fire engines began roaring up the street, the tall Englishman began scanning the crowd with the aid of the bright, flashing, lights. He didn’t see her, but with the mass of moving bodies, he had difficulty making out many of the faces. He began to worry in earnest.

Chloe looked down and could barely make out the sheer wall below the balcony. There was just a straight drop to the stone walkway below her. Not a particularly good prospect. She looked up, the smoke that blotted out the moon was coming from around the corner of the building. An idea struck her. There was bound to be a way out of the building, if she could just get back inside. Shouting for help hadn’t worked; not with the sirens and noise from the people on the front lawn.

The balcony above her had a railing made of iron with decorative swirls that trailed down the sides. She took off her shoes and stepped on the edge of a large, cement, plant pot. It had been to heavy to move, or she’d have tipped it over to break the glass doors. Standing on the edge, she reached up and grasped the bottom of one of the iron loops. Swinging her legs forward, she gritted her teeth as the metal cut into her palms. Kicking up, she managed to get a stocking-clad foot hooked on a leaf-shaped ornamental piece of iron. She hung by both hands and her toes and sighed; who was she kidding?

The smell of smoke grew stronger and Chloe fought the cramping in her calf and held on with her toes and hand-walked up the curved bottom to the outer edge of the balcony corner. Grunting she slid her other foot onto the smooth platform and dragged her torso upward. Her sweaty palms began to slide and her thoughts turned to frustration and anger.

She was not going to be left like this. Not by anyone. She fought back the tears that threatened to spill over her cheeks and pulled herself up, with trembling arms, and swung one hand up blindly.

Miraculously, Chloe’s hand found purchase on the top of the railing. Her knee was scraped when she scrambled up over the edge, but she barely felt it when she fell over onto the upper balcony. It was smaller and had just a single-paned, glass door and, much to her relief, a heavy, plaster pillar with a plant on top of it.

Trying the plant pot first, Chloe succeeded only in littering her feet in ceramic, soil and geraniums. Swearing loudly, she wrestled the heavy pillar to a spot in front of the single pane, far enough that its momentum would land its top corner in the center of the pane, hopefully the weakest point.

Bracing her hips against the iron railing, Chloe held it tight with her throbbing hands. She kicked with both feet as hard as she could and toppled the pillar into the glass. Her plan worked and the glass shattered, spilling tiny shards around her and, to her chagrin, thick wisps of smoke.
Realizing her destiny with broken glass, Chloe walked across the gauntlet of glass. And felt the heaviness of the polluted air envelope her. Covering her mouth and nose with her hand, she coughed and gagged immediately.

She rushed blindly through the room, stumbling over a trashcan and crawling towards the door. Her eyes burned and she began to feel light-headed. She tried to call out but only managed a croak. Her throat was tightening and she gagged out the fumes. Desperate for air, she turned and started back to the balcony. Suddenly the idea of a two-story drop seemed a better alternative to the burning, suffocating air in her lungs, eyes and nose.

Despite the lack of light, Chloe saw a red haze in front of her. Was it the light from the fire trucks? A crashing sound behind her had her turning around. A hazy, dark figure stood, crouched in the doorway, lit by an eerie, flickering glow that she dazedly knew to be flames. The figure was leaning over her and grasping her by the hips. Her battered fingers clutched at the silky material of a tuxedo lapel.

Chloe felt strong arms pull her upwards and her face was pressed against the chest of her rescuer. She tried to speak, but she could barely get enough air to breathe. They were moving, she felt as if she floated. She couldn’t feel his hands on her anymore and saw a spinning view of the stars overhead. Then a jarring sensation, she wondered if she’d jumped after all. Then she felt a slight relief of the pain in her lungs. Cool grass touched her back and a dark shape loomed over her. Soft lips pressed to hers and she felt warm air forced into her throat. Once twice, and the redness began to recede from her vision.

"Breathe." The order came from the silhouette. "You need to get to the ambulance." The voice was husky and low. Her senses were returning slowly.

"How did we get down?" She asked, her voice barely a whisper. She heard a soft chuckle and the arms went around her, lifting her up again.

"We flew."

"So you’re a bird?"

"No," he answered. "I’m something else altogether. Close your eyes."

Chloe closed her eyes. They hurt less when she did but her head was still swimming. She tried to hold onto the man but her arms didn’t seem to work. Behind her eyelids, she could see flashing red lights. They became faint, as did the noise from the crowds. Vaguely, she could hear someone shouting for a stretcher and oxygen, then blissful darkness.

Kit Merlot
19th March 2006, 18:05
Oh man, what an exciting chapter!

Thank God Chloe's going to be alright:D

This story just keeps getting better and better.

Btab12207
19th March 2006, 19:13
And the plot thickens. That was fantastic. I'm glad Chloe's okay. update soon!

lj715
19th March 2006, 20:02
WOW!!!! Great chapter but too, too short. I wonder who the person was who smiled @ Chloe but left her out on the balcony? Her poor feet too ( having to walk on the glass). Can't wait for the next update.

Krysia
19th March 2006, 20:29
"How did we get down?" She asked, her voice barely a whisper. She heard a soft chuckle and the arms went around her, lifting her up again.

"We flew."

"So you’re a bird?"

"

I loved the whole updqate , but this was my favourite part. It made me laugh and afterwards think of the line [ is it a bird? is it a plane? no it's Superman :)] Anyhow I love how , no matter where she is, Chloe will always find trouble [ or is it the other way around? Trouble always seems to find her :)] I hope she isn't hurt too much after that little adventure. Especially since she isn't in top form yet. And I'm hoping that we won't have to wait so long to find out what exactly happened ;) [ pretty please :)]

hfce
19th March 2006, 23:52
What a great update. I am glad Chloe is ok.

lilinny
20th March 2006, 00:41
Chloe lives!! Was it Clark or Bruce Wayne? Great chapter.

pipersmum
20th March 2006, 02:32
Great update but who was it that shut Chloe out in the first place I wonder?? It was Clark who saved her wasn't it ??? But Bruce disappeared as well so where did he go??? I love this story, but was too short :P I need more!

star del mar
20th March 2006, 06:09
There is still so much foul play going on that it absolutely kills me, obviously whatever has been started is far from over yet with whatever person (or people) that are seriously pissed off. Chloe's going to have to watch her back. Great update! very exiciting :) Can't wait for more.

Steph*

teb85
20th March 2006, 22:52
Fantastic chapter ! I wonder who shut Chloe out on the balcony ? but I am glad she is ok ! Can't wait for next update !!

zelda
21st March 2006, 01:06
for those wondering if it was Clark, I thought that Bruce showing up coughing into his handkerchief would be a giveaway.

hannagreen20
21st March 2006, 05:11
I love this story. I can't wait to see what happens next!

zelda
21st March 2006, 15:50
“I found her.” Charlie’s voice carried over the crowd. Lex didn’t have to ask whom he’d found. He pushed through the crowd and towards the tall man. His heart thumped tightly as he drew close to one of the ambulances. Chloe, sooty and pale, lay motionless on a stretcher. A Paramedic had an oxygen tank hooked up to a clear tube that fed a bag-valve mask that a woman was squeezing.

Before Lex could break through the crowd, a hand fell on his shoulder. He turned and saw Bruce Wayne.

“She’s just had some smoke inhalation and minor injuries,” the man said, coughing into a white handkerchief. “She was stuck upstairs and inhaled some of the smoke.”

“How did she get out?”

“I think she climbed or fell down,” he answered. “Her feet are a little cut up; hands too.”

“What the Hell was she doing upstairs?”

“You’ll have to ask her.”

Lex watched as Chloe was loaded into the ambulance and it screamed down the driveway and off the property.

Bright lights moving through the crowd gave relief to the eerie darkness. Lex looked around and realized that not only had all of the property lights been shut down, but the streetlights for the entire block. He liked this less and less. He didn’t know if anyone else had been injured, or what the possible motive had been for setting the fire and blacking out the block, but it was pretty clearly deliberate.

Sheri grabbed his arm and turned him around.

“Charlie said Chloe was in that ambulance.” Her lovely face was a mask of anguish. “Is she alright?” Imigen was right behind her.

“I don’t know anything yet,” Lex answered, truthfully. The police were taking names and numbers, he knew he couldn’t just walk off now. The firefighters had gone inside to investigate and the whole crowd turned to look at the corner of the building where a window burst outward. Thick, oily smoke was clearly visible in the bright spotlight shined from the ladder truck. An arm clad in reflective black and yellow could be seen wielding an axe.

The firefighter on the top of the ladder was swinging over with a hose. Lex was interrupted by a police officer who asked for his information and identification. He gave his address and Shelley’s. As soon as he was able, he slipped away with her to their car. The driver, per his instructions, drove Shelley home and took him to Metropolis General hospital.

The man pounded his fist on the steering wheel of his car as he waited in a snarl of traffic. He’d kept an eye on the side of the building. No one else knew what to look for in the dark. Then, after the fire trucks got there, he’d thought the noise would surely drown out any cries for help. He’d been more than shocked to see a dark-haired man carrying the bitch around the corner of the building. He hadn’t known who the man was, just some big-shot from Gotham City, but he’d been pleased to see the medics fly into a flurry of action. Their speed and swift departure meant it was serious. Smoke inhalation was bad. Especially smoke from a chemical fire like the one he’d started. He’d had to wait to give his name and phone number to the police before slipping away and grabbing a medic’s jacket from the front seat of an ambulance.

Chloe’s throat burned with the rawness of her inhalation of foreign gasses. The doctor had sprayed it with Lidocaine to ease the entrance of a scope to assess the damage done by the smoke. It had worn off and she was not allowed to eat or drink anything. She was still dizzy and still had an oxygen mask on her face, though she was breathing on her own. Monitors were set up to keep tabs on her heart and blood pressure but she felt extremely vulnerable. She couldn’t speak anymore. Her earlier attempts were barely whispers before the inevitable coughing fits came. Now she had to concentrate on keeping her breathing slow and shallow.

Chloe was alone, at the moment. She’d been surrounded by people but unable to answer their questions. She’d been given a mild sedative to calm her. A nurse had told her that it was to keep her from hyperventilating. She’d hard the head of the ER ask about other possible victims coming in from this fire, the Paramedic who’d treated her ad told him that he’d known of none. They’d cut off her hosiery and dress, leaving her in her underwear. She’d been only slightly aware of the hands on her as they pulled the remains of her gown from over and under her.

Callused, efficient hands had moved over Chloe, pushing, squeezing limbs and checking for injuries. She’d been unaware of her state of near-nudity until they’d arrived and she’d been pronounced stable. Then a nurse had come in with a gown that she’d put on over Chloe’s sluggish limbs. She’d tried to talk, only to discover that her voice reduced to less-than a whisper. The nurse had patted her shoulder and told her to rest, and that talking might hurt for a while.

Chloe was unable to call anyone on the phone on the table beside her, and unable to ask for help. She desperately needed to communicate and looked around the room. No pens, no paper; but there was a cabinet of medical supplies. She used the controller attached to her pillow to raise herself into a sitting position, carefully removing the oxygen mask, she set it aside and rested, breathing the normal, hospital room air. It wasn’t quite as pleasant as the oxygen.

Chloe scooted forward, feeling a breeze on her naked back and ignoring her innate sense of modesty. She felt a painful tug on her hand and grabbed the IV rack for both support and to allow her a longer leash away from the bed. Someone had put fresh bandages on her feet, but when they touched the floor, she realized there was still some glass in them. She moved to the cupboards above the small sink and opened them, hoping for something to help her communicate. She didn’t know enough sign language to get her story out, and doubted that there was an interpreter even if she did.

Chloe sighed in relief when she saw individually wrapped sticks of Betadine. There were little sponges at the end of the sticks soaked in the dark, orange-brown liquid used to sterilize skin before surgery. They weren’t perfect, but they’d have to suffice for now.

Several problems with the night’s events were nagging at Lex’s brain. First was the fire itself. Obviously someone was out to do more than ruin an evening; but a secondary motive didn’t automatically jump out at him. Chloe appeared to have been the only injury, but if hurting her was the primary goal, the arsonist picked a method with too many factors to ensure that she’d be hurt…or worse. He urged his driver faster and pushed away thoughts of anything but a healthy, happy Chloe at the hospital.

The emergency room at Metropolis General had an admitting screen near the nurse’s station. It wasn’t in the area reserved for the general public, but if you looked like you belonged, no one asked too many questions. He spoke in a low voice on a cell phone as he studied the monitor, not saying anything to anyone, just a series of ‘yeah’s’ and little phrases like ‘currently stable’, and ‘we should be heading back once my partner comes back.’ Anyone bothering to listen would think nothing of him standing there. It was a busy night, they had much more pressing things to worry about. He did turn his head when a security guard walked past.

If Chloe had been admitted to the ER and her condition was serious enough to be kept there, her room number would be listed. If she’d been moved, he’d find her some other way. He was lucky, the name was listed along with a room number.

Lex thought about the chaos that had ensued when the sprinklers went off, then all of the lights failed. Even the emergency lights. He’d been standing outside but the streetlights had been out as well. If someone had been trying to get away with anything that night, they’d found a way to practically guarantee a lack of credible witnesses. A dozen scenarios ran through his mind as he dug his fingers into the upholstry as the Limo was stopped in traffic.

He walked down the hallway, counting the room numbers as he went.
He came to the doorway just as a nurse was leaving. He walked past without breaking stride. Then he returned after getting a drink from the fountain and opened the door carefully. The steady beeping of the monitors and the hissing sound of a ventilator made him smile. She was in rough shape.

He drew aside the curtain in the dim room and saw her blinking her big eyes at him. She wore an oxygen mask and she reached a trembling hand up for the call button but he took a quick step forward and grabbed her wrist. She made a choking sound and he seized her by the hair, pushing her back on the bed. Her attempts to fight him off were feeble and he ripped off the mask and shoved a pillow over her face.

“Excuse me, Doctor?” came a voice from behind him. He automatically switched into a calm tone.

“I’m the medic who brought her in, she seems to be having a seizure.” He moved the pillow and fastened a hand around her throat. He heard the clicking sound of a gun being cocked and stopped.

“In a manner of speaking,” continued the voice, “You did bring her in here. But I was referring to your Doctorate from Yale in Computer Engineering…Dr. Tanner.”

“Who’re you?” he asked, turning around slowly. The man dressed in khakis and a wrinkled blazer smiled at him as he pointed his service revolver at him.

“Detective Riley with the Metropolis Police Department. Step away from the bed and put your hands on your head.”

Tanner looked at the Sullivan girl, closely. The mask had obscured her features, slightly, but upon a closer look, he realized that the face were wrong. The wrist he held stopped trembling and jerked out of his grasp. The woman shoved back the covers. “I think that attempted murder of two women in one night is enough to buy you a little time as a guest of the county.” The woman who wore the hospital gown over a t-shirt and nurse’s scrubs stood beside him.

“I’ll go get security.”

“There are more officers coming behind me, just show them in.”

Tanner looked around him and his eyes fell to the bed. The bottom sheet was smeared with a brownish substance and, ignoring the cop behind him, he reached out and smoothed the blankets away. He heard the cop speak behind him. “Your fire left Chloe with some chemical burns to the throat and she couldn’t talk. She couldn’t tell them what she’d seen, so she got them a message to get help.”

The hastily scrawled message on the sheet read: Arson! I’m in danger! Call Police, ask for Detective Riley.

Tanner frowned, she’d actually used exclamation points while scribbling an emergency message.

“You’ve got nothing. I didn’t set the fire, and I was-”

He was interrupted by the entrance of two uniformed cops who handcuffed him as Riley read him his rights. The Detective got a phone call to which he mostly listened, but he gestured for the uniforms to wait before taking Tanner. When he hung up, he had a pleasant smile on his face.

“It seems that your partner, a Private Investigator who spent the evening taking pictures last night, has decided that cooperating with the police at the scene of the arson is a preferable option to doing jail time with you.” He nodded to the officers who pulled the former engineer out of the hallway. Turning to the nurse, a young woman named Shannon, he placed a hand on her shoulder. “That was really quick thinking tonight. You saved your patient’s life.”

“Hey,” she said with a shrug, it’s what we’re here for.” She smiled shyly and went into the next room where Chloe was sitting in a chair with a security guard next to her. She was back under the oxygen mask and the ER physician, a sixtyish man, was checking her IV.

“Looking good Sullivan,” Riley said, smiling at her. “I’m glad you called.” She tried to laugh at this but winced and Riled received a dirty look from the doctor. “Sorry, I’ll try to keep the humor down till you’re feeling better.” She began writing on the tablet of paper she’d been given. She held up a sheet that had two words: Call Lex. Riley nodded, his smile fading a little. “Right away.” She wrote down his cell number and he stepped out of the room.

Chloe leaned back in the chair and looked at the doctor. He looked back at her and almost smiled.

“You’re quite a trouble-maker, Chloe,” he said. “I’m tempted to take away your pen, then you could stop harassing my staff.” She raised her eyebrows tiredly and tapped the IV in her arm significantly. “Right,” he said. “Girls like you will write in blood if you can’t get your words out any other way. I knew one like you a long time ago.”

Chloe drew a question mark on the paper. He smiled for real. “I married her.”

“You must be a smart man.” They both turned to see Lex, looking slightly disheveled and out of breath.

“That was fast,” the doctor said. “Didn’t the Detective just call you?”

“I was already on my way, he didn’t get a chance to tell me the details, but for once, I think I can wait till I hear it from the horse’s mouth.” Chloe didn’t answer but stuck up her middle finger at him. “Shouldn’t she be sedated or something?”

pipersmum
21st March 2006, 16:20
Tanner looked around him and his eyes fell to the bed. The bottom sheet was smeared with a brownish substance and, ignoring the cop behind him, he reached out and smoothed the blankets away. He heard the cop speak behind him. “Your fire left Chloe with some chemical burns to the throat and she couldn’t talk. She couldn’t tell them what she’d seen, so she got them a message to get help.”

The hastily scrawled message on the sheet read: Arson! I’m in danger! Call Police, ask for Detective Riley.

Tanner frowned, she’d actually used exclamation points while scribbling an emergency message.

Chloe always was resourceful!!

So it was Bruce that saved her! Poor Lex I bet he would have liked to have gone in the ambulance with her. Still at least nothing else happened to Chloe she is safe for now, and not feeling to bad if her fingers are anything to go by! :P

I think I can wait till I hear it from the horse’s mouth.” Chloe didn’t answer but stuck up her middle finger at him. “Shouldn’t she be sedated or something?”

Loving this story Zelda and this update so soon after the other one we are being spoilt!

lj715
21st March 2006, 17:21
Aha, so that's why she needed the sticks of Betadine. Great update. I'm glad Bruce was the one to save her & not Clark , I really would've like it to be Lex though. Oh well, can't wait for the next update.

Krysia
21st March 2006, 17:45

“That was fast,” the doctor said. “Didn’t the Detective just call you?”
“I was already on my way, he didn’t get a chance to tell me the details, but for once, I think I can wait till I hear it from the horse’s mouth.” Chloe didn’t answer but stuck up her middle finger at him. “Shouldn’t she be sedated or something?”

Nothing assures me that Chloe is going to be ok like a bit of "verbal judo" :)
I loved the trap with Chloes dubble, you had me going for a second that someone is going to actually kill Chloe. Especially after the build up of her panicking and not being able to communicate with anyone.

Ann
21st March 2006, 18:18
Great updates! I love how the nurse helped Chloe and how Bruce got her out of the building. Please hurry back soon! :)

hfce
21st March 2006, 21:37
That was a scary but grat update. I was sacred thinking that was Chloe in the bed. Thank goodness it was a trap. I can't wait until the next adventure.

teb85
21st March 2006, 23:29
Great update !! This fic is always full of surprises and keeps me on the edge of my seat, I can't wait to see what happens next !!

lauradoone19
22nd March 2006, 02:22
really love this fic and the sedation remark was awesome.also loved the interaction between chloe and riley.nice that she has a healthy male friendship...along with the delectable charlie that is.and why was she suprised that lex got there so quick? doesnt she know that he'll come running as fast as his billionaire legs can carry him?

lilinny
22nd March 2006, 03:03
Love the last part. That was funny. Now what's next for her?

star del mar
22nd March 2006, 06:57
Chloe is quite the quick thinker, good for her...she got herself out of a pretty sticky situation with help from the nurse of course. This story always has some good action going on :) Now what's going to happen with Chloe and Lex? I can't wait to see. Great update!

Steph*

AlwaysPretending
22nd March 2006, 14:40
This is a great fic, I'm glad that I have taken the time to read it, as I have enjoyed every chapter. I love the humour that you have put into Chloe and Lex's relationship, it really is quite different to the fics that I have read before.

I look forward to your next update!

Kerry

Kit Merlot
23rd March 2006, 03:21
Excellent update, Zelda!

Chloe is so awesome--of course she was one step ahead of the the bad guy. And I liked that Lex showed up at the hospital because he knew that something was wrong.

And I'm loving the return of Det. Riley:grin3:

showntell
24th March 2006, 10:58
Great update...poor Chloe just can't seem to stay out of the hospital.

The last lines were such nice Chlex interaction.

Kaimore
24th March 2006, 21:22
Two superheros in the house and someone still gets hurt!!
Chloe drew a question mark on the paper. He smiled for real. “I married her.”
“You must be a smart man.” They both turned to see Lex, looking slightly disheveled and out of breath.
So sweet :)

“I was already on my way, he didn’t get a chance to tell me the details, but for once, I think I can wait till I hear it from the horse’s mouth.” Chloe didn’t answer but stuck up her middle finger at him. “Shouldn’t she be sedated or something?” :rofl: Verbal judo without talking!!

meg20
25th March 2006, 16:17
Wonderful updates!!!
Even an evening out turns out to be a nightmare, but I'm glad Chloe got help and nothing more serious could happen to her!!!

squeezumstang
26th March 2006, 23:30
hee, hee, loved the last line! very good story. thanks for sharing with the class.

campbti
28th March 2006, 22:06
That was fantastic, I loved the fire scene, and am always up for a little Bruce Wayne. =) So glad that Chloe wasn't the one in that bed. Can't wait for a little reconcilement time. This is such a great and interesting story.

zelda
9th April 2006, 15:24
Inhalation of burning chemicals was a serious enough injury for Chloe to remain in the hospital for two days. The doctors didn’t want to take a chance on something irritating her throat and lungs and making it difficult for her to breathe. Dr. Tanner was being uncooperative and she’d had to undergo tests to make certain that none of the chemicals used were poisonous. Detective Riley stopped by to update her on the investigation; a smoking gun like attempted asphyxiation couldn’t tie him to the fire; since there was no clear motive for his attack on her. They had Bobby’s confession but no hard evidence. Andrew, the Dr.’s son, had vanished along with Bobby.

Chloe was resting and enjoying the effects of her painkillers when she had visitors. She looked up from the spot on the wall she’d been gazing at to see a large frame in the doorway. She blinked a few times to focus and smiled at the dark-haired man and waved him in.

"I hope I’m not disturbing you, Miss Sullivan," he said. She shook her head and gestured to the chair beside the bed. Talking was possible, but painful so she did as little of it as possible. "I’m an associate of Lex Luthor’s he continued, with a small smile. Chloe held up her hand.

"Mr. Wayne," she rasped with a nod. Clearing her throat painfully, she reached for the glass of ice water on her tray and pulled her laptop close. She couldn’t use the internet here, but she could type faster than she could write so she’d cajoled the staff into letting her have it. She opened it up and tilted it so he could see the screen.

"Call me Bruce," he said, pulling his chair a little closer. "I’m meeting Lex shortly and I knew he’d be stopping in so I thought I would check on you before he gets here. We didn’t meet at the party, but I was there when the fire started and wanted to share my good wishes for a quick recovery."

Chloe’s lips quirked at the corners and she hastily began typing. He read over her shoulder: ‘A very kind gesture for a stranger.’

Bruce cleared his throat. "How is the investigation going?" She gave him a brief version of what she’d been told by Riley. "Do you think you’ll be able to help them? I mean, do you remember anything?"

‘Yes.’ She watched him but his features didn’t change from politely concerned. ‘I went to the balcony when Dr. Tanner locked me out there. I saw him through the window and he saw me.’

"You’re certain?"

‘He gave me the finger.’

"Guess that qualifies," he said with a shrug. "How did you get down?"

‘I didn’t, I got up. There was no way to climb down but there was a way to climb up. I didn’t think the fire was that close to the other side of the building when I went up to the next balcony.’

"Did you try shouting?" Chloe gave him a look. He shrugged. "Some people panic in a situation like that."

‘I panickedwhen I couldn’t breathe,’ she continued to type. ‘I was ready to jump off the balcony in order to get some fresh air.’

"It sounds like there was some pretty nasty stuff burning." They looked at each other for a few moments and she typed a single word:

‘How?’

"How what?"

"Bruce?" Lex stood in the doorway to the hospital room. "What’re you doing here?"

Bruce started to say something but Chloe placed her hand on his arm and shook her head.

"I thought I would check on your friend before our meeting. I knew you’d be here."

"And how is our patient?" Lex smiled at Chloe who shrugged. She casually placed her finger on the Delete key and her words erased themselves.

‘Nothing has shown up yet in my system to indicate that the chemicals will have a lasting effect.’ She typed as Lex came over to read. Bruce made a small sound that was akin to relief. She spared him a split-second glance.

"I’ve got some people out looking for the Tanners and Bobby…what’s his last name, anyway?" lex looked at her.

‘Doesn’t have one. He dropped it.’ She shrugged. ‘I guess he’s a Cher fan.’
"So it’s just…Bobby?" She nodded in response. "That’ll be interesting. He turned to Bruce, "I’m satisfied that she’s feeling well. Are you ready?" Bruce nodded and they both said goodbye. Chloe practically rolled her eyes when Bruce quietly set down his briefcase just inside the door of her room.

Lex walked to the elevator and asked his friend where he wanted to have lunch. The doors opened and Bruce named a restaurant. Lex agreed and stepped onto the elevator. Smoothly, Bruce stepped just before the doors closed.

"Forgot my briefcase, meet you downstairs." The doors shut before Lex could react.

Chloe was sitting up with her hands folded across her middle when he walked back in the door with his excuse. She pursed her lips and glared in annoyance.

"I really don’t care what you do in Gotham City," she whispered. "Don’t ask me how I know, because if I don’t get answers, neither do you." He looked her in the eye. She nodded to the door and he picked up his briefcase.

"I have no idea what you’re talking about; I’m just going to assume it’s the result of the medication you’re on. I hope you feel better, Miss Sullivan." He walked to the door but stopped briefly in the doorway when she spoke.

"It’s Chloe." He didn’t turn around but nodded and left.

Lois stopped in with her father. Sam Lane was his usual gruff self but kissed his niece and gave her a small pot of Violas. He left without Lois who chatted to her silent audience about work, caped superheroes, her dorky partner, and her deadlines.

As if summoned by the mention of his name, Clark stuck his head in the door. He looked relieved to see Lois and held out a ragged arrangement of tulips with one hand and held a vase in the other.

"Where did you get that arrangement?" Lois asked, eyeing the dirty stems. "Metropolis Horticultural academy for the blind?"

"No," Clark said, brushing past her to the small sink where he began filling the lovely ceramic, painted, vase with water. He placed the flowers in the water, haphazardly. Lois took pity on him and rinsed and clipped the stems, using a small knife from her key chain. In a few minutes she managed to make an agreeable arrangement. "You’re nothing if not resourceful," Clark mumbled, pushing his glasses up his nose. He pushed his shoulder into the corner, Chloe recognized the gesture as his unconscious attempt to appear to take up less space.

"You know," Lois continued, placing the vase on Chloe’s table, next to her laptop, "the flowers look pretty nice when they’re cleaned up a little." She raised an eyebrow. "Pretty vase." Lois made her exit, reminding Clark about his deadline and left them alone.

Chloe reached out and touched the vase, it was a hand-painted piece of good quality. It had a landscape with fields of tiny tulips, a windmill, and a sunset. Taking a sip of water, she spoke carefully.

"How did you get them here without crushing them?"

"In a box," he replied. "They don’t tend to withstand high airspeeds unprotected." He cleared his throat. "They used to be your favorites."
"They still are, but there’s a florist that sells them in the hospital."

"Way overpriced," Clark scoffed. "I got these for free, I picked them after I offered to help an older lady move some heavy furniture."

"Didn’t know you spoke Dutch. Was that lady an artist?"

"She happened to have some lovely vases for sale." He had the familiar innocent gleam in his eye. Then he removed his glasses and walked to her bedside. "I left because I didn’t want to talk to you."

"I know."

"I had no idea anything was going to happen."

"Premonitions have never been your strong suit." She cleared her throat again and picked up the spray that helped to numb the swelling."

"Does it hurt to talk?" he asked. She nodded. "I’m sorry."

"You can’t be there every second, Clark. And you didn’t set the fire."

"I know," he said, sitting on the edge of her bed. She pulled her feet up to give him room. He looked extremely uncomfortable. "If I hadn’t chickened out and stuck around to talk to you, I could’ve prevented this, maybe even caught Dr. Tanner."

"I still don’t know why he decided to set a fire at a charity ball."

"Probably to cover something else up." She shrugged. "I’m going to try and leave it to the cops this time."

"I’ll keep my ears open."

"Thanks."

Clark stood up and put his glasses back on. He nodded awkwardly and patted her knee. Then he left and Chloe looked back at the tulips that he’d flown in from Holland. Even with the box, they’d gotten a little mussed. It was the gesture he wanted her to see. Going all the way to another country for flowers he could have purchased around the corner. And it was with no more effort. She’d ceased seeing his grand gestures as remarkable. With his gifts, it took little thought and trouble to do so many things. She admired and pitied him the burden he carried, but she wasn’t a fool anymore.

Kit Merlot
9th April 2006, 15:34
Great update, Zelda!

I liked all the conversations in this chapter: Cnloe/Bruce, and Chloe/Clark being the two best:D

I did like how Lois and her dad stopped by to check on Chloe--she needs what's left of her family around her--even if she doesn't want to admit it.

And it's always great to see Lex;)

lj715
9th April 2006, 15:43
Great update!! Really like Bruce Wayne visiting Chloe. Clark bringing tulips from Holland was pretty sweet too. Need some more Chloe/ Lex time though...please. Can't wait for the next update.

Krysia
9th April 2006, 16:28
The flovers and the vase , that was a very nice thing for Clark to do. It looks like he is trying to rebuild his friendship with Chloe once again.
I'm interested in what Lex and Bruce will be talking about during their meal. I'm sure lex won't believe that Bruce just left his briefcase in the room without any hidden agenda. As always a great chapter.

hfce
9th April 2006, 18:05
That was a great update. A little light on the Chlex though but hopefully we can have much more in the next update. :beg:

I am wondering why Chloe wouldn't let Lex to know her and Bruce conversation. Why can't she trust him? I am confused by that.

Hope ;)

lilinny
9th April 2006, 20:30
I'm just going to say it. It was too short!!!! Great conversations, but you need to let us in on more what's going on.

SianUrsula
9th April 2006, 21:06
Hmmmm... suspicious stuff with Brucey. I just finished watching Batman and Robin with George Clooney as Batman this afternoon on tv.. can't really see him as Bruce Wayne in this fic. Great update though! Can't wait for more!

teb85
9th April 2006, 23:43
Fantastic Update ! Interesting conversation with Bruce and Clark flying in tulips from Holland was sweet ! Can't wait for next update !!

star del mar
10th April 2006, 04:38
Well Chloe knows something's up but I have to admit that I'm a little confused. That's ok though because the intrigue still going on more then makes up for it, I'm sure I'll start figuring it eventually. And I have to agree, I need some more Chlex! Great update!

Steph*

squeezumstang
10th April 2006, 06:49
They looked at each other for a few moments and she typed a single word:

‘How?’

"How what?"

"Bruce?" Lex stood in the doorway to the hospital room. "What’re you doing here?"

Bruce started to say something but Chloe placed her hand on his arm and shook her head.

i love it when people think they can fool chloe. it cracks me up, cause she sooooo has their number. plus bruce and chloe? my other favorite x-over non-conventional pairing.

It was the gesture he wanted her to see. Going all the way to another country for flowers he could have purchased around the corner. And it was with no more effort. She’d ceased seeing his grand gestures as remarkable. With his gifts, it took little thought and trouble to do so many things. She admired and pitied him the burden he carried, but she wasn’t a fool anymore.

i love this last bit the best. i love that she finally can see through his bullshit.

meg20
10th April 2006, 14:10
Nice update!!
glad that Clark went out all the way to get flowers for Chloe, even if it meant going to Holland!

pipersmum
11th April 2006, 19:10
I love how Chloe seems to know who all the super hero's are, even if Bruce is denying it!!

Clark was very sweet with the tulips and vase from Holland. :) Looking forward to some more Chloe and Lex interaction soon, pretty please! :P

showntell
13th April 2006, 12:02
nice closure and perspective for chloe about clark...more chlex please...:-)

pink_pixie1204
27th April 2006, 04:20
it's 20 past 3 in the morning and i have just caught up with this entire fic, i love it please update soon, and can we have some more bruce, chlex time

please update.

zelda
29th April 2006, 19:33
“Don’t you get tired of all of the cloak and dagger stuff?” Sheri asked, handing Chloe a cool glass of white wine.

“It’s why I do it.” Lois broke in, plopping down on a cushion in front of Chloe’s knees. Sheri looked at Chloe who just shrugged and let Lois talk. “People have public lives and private lives, and that’s all great to print in your little magazines with papparazzi photos,” she continued, picking up a carrot stick from the plate on the new coffee table. “Who’s shopping with whom? Who’s wearing which designer? Who was rumored to be sitting with someone’s wife at a charity event?” She shrugged and sipped her own glass of wine. “It’s the secret lives that I’m interested in exposing.”

“Chloe?” Sheri asked, “What about you?”

“It used to be about exposing the truth, but now I’m more interested in knowing the truth. Some things aren’t fit to print.” Sheri inclined her head slightly in silent agreement.

“No such phrase,” Lois stated, firmly. Chloe knew there was no convincing her cousin about this particular point. She had to take some of the responsibility for it as well. Without Chloe’s original rabid enthusiasm to get her name on a byline, Lois might have taken a different career path. Lois didn’t have a concept that Chloe had learnt about where the line between the public’s right to know, and a person’s need for privacy.

Neither woman bothered to argue the point. Lois didn’t take criticism of her methods as anything but a compliment. She was good at her job and she helped sell papers.

“I like the occasional challenge,” Chloe continued. I like to have to use my brain for something besides research. Field work can be a little more dangerous and you have to take precautions.”

“I keep telling you to start packing heat.”

“I do,” Both women looked at her, “when I have to, but I prefer to talk my way out of things whenever possible.”

“Yeah,” Lois scoffed, “Like that worked for you so well recently.”

“I still managed to get out of that one against an armed, homicidal cop,” Chloe said quietly. “And without the interference of someone who moves faster than a bullet.”

“He does seem to be around a lot,” Lois mused. “I think he has a thing for me.”

“Lucky for you he does.” Chloe said. “You’d be dead if it weren’t for Superman on more than one occasion. Reporting aside, I’m not the only one who needs to be more careful.” When she spoke, she put her hand softly on her cousin’s shoulder. “I mean it, Lois. I know better than you might think that split second timing can keep you safe, but a second thought beforehand can save other people’s lives too.”

Lois was quiet for a moment. Then she picked up the remote.

“Anything good on HBO?”

Chloe smiled, Lois had heard her, a little bit. The women were having a girl’s night in Chloe’s place, now that all repairs had been finished. Her walls had been painted a soft green and she’d bought new bedding since the replacement bed that Charlie had sent was larger than hers. She’d shown Sheri the note that Charlie had sent along with the delivery of the new bed and mattress. Her friend had raised her eyebrows at Charlie’s message about an unforgettable time in Chloe’s bed and his apologies that the bed didn’t survive.

“He really has a knack for making everything sound dirty,” Chloe had said. Sheri had thought for a moment then replied.

“More like…sensuous. He has a way of making everything sound gratifying to the sexual senses.”

“That’s a very textbook definition.” Chloe had been a little surprised at her friend’s description. Sheri hadn’t said anything more about it

“So how’s your friend, Shelley holding up?” Lois asked. “Rumor has it the cop had a thing for her.”
“I haven’t talked to her in a couple of days,” Chloe said, truthfully. Shelley had taken some time off from work and gone to her parents’ place for a little R&R. She hadn’t told Lex when she’d be back. She and Chloe weren’t friends but she didn’t contradict Lois.

Chloe’s phone rang, another new addition to the apartment, and she checked the caller id. She had needed her number changed again and only a handful of people had the new one. She recognized the number. “Hello.” She kept her voice steady.

“Chloe?” Detective Riley sounded relieved. “Glad I caught you. I promised you an update as soon as I got one.”

“That’s right.” She knew Lois would be trying to listen if she thought it was newsworthy.

“Bobby, your photographer friend, is dead.”

“When?” Chloe walked into the bedroom and shut the door. She sat down on her new bed.

“The body was just identified an hour ago.” Riley sighed. “I can’t officially give you this information, Chloe. And I can’t give you any details.”

“But you wouldn’t be calling me if you didn’t think it was important that I know.”

“There has been no official cause of death released yet…” his voice trailed off. “Just don’t-” he broke off. “Keep your friends close tonight.”

“You know I won’t keep my friends close, Detective. They get shot that way.”

“Well, come down to the station, then, at least you’d be safe here.”

“Riley, there’s no guarantee that I’ll be a target. You don’t have enough information to give me. You don’t have an official suspect yet, do you?”

“Officially, no.”

“And you can’t tell me what your speculation is either.”

“No.”

“Okay, then,” Chloe said, walking to her closet and reaching in for her suitcase. “Guess I’ll just make myself scarce then.”

“Let me drive you.” His voice sounded hoarse and tired.

“Thanks, but I’d rather have you working on getting me some official information. I’m sure that you’re needed.”

“You might need me.” His voice was soft.

“Thanks, Detective, but I’m gonna go all noble and stay away from everyone. I’ve learned enough about hiding that I know I do it best by myself.”

“It’s Andy.”

“What?”

“My name.”
“You have my mobile number. I’ll have it with me at all times,” Chloe started pulling things out of her closet and drawers. A couple of pairs of jeans, change of undergarments, socks, shoes, sleepwear, shirts and her makeup bag.

“I will be checking in on you.”

“I’d hope so,” Chloe said. “If you learn anything, let me know.”

“Don’t go so far that I can’t get to you, Chloe. Please.”

“I promise, Andy.”

She hung up the phone and dialed another number.

“Yes?”

“I have to disappear for a little while. Watch your back, and check in on Shelley.”

“Chloe, what’s going on?” Lex’s voice betrayed his concern. “Are you in trouble?”

“Was I ever out of trouble?” She tried to laugh but it came out as a sigh. “Look, I just got a tip, Bobby’s dead, and there’s no official cause of death. I don’t have anything more than that yet.”

“I’ll have my driver over there in fifteen minutes.”

“No,” she replied. “I really need to not be around the people I care about.”

“Chloe, don’t do this.” The background noise sounded like he was moving around. “I can protect you, just don’t disappear.”

“Sorry, I can’t let you get hurt, Lex.” Chloe paused. “I love you too much.” She took the opportunity of his silence to hang up and shut off her phone. She zipped up her bag and opened the top drawer of her dresser. At the back, was a long, narrow, cedar box. She stuffed the whole thing into her case and grabbed her jacket, heading for the door. Lois spotted the suitcase and solemn expression.

“What’s going on?”

“You guys have to go.” She took a deep breath. “My apartment isn’t safe for anyone right now.”

Chloe didn’t take her own car. She hopped on a late bus and rode downtown. She got off and hailed a cab to take her uptown. She had a hat covering her blonde hair and had traded jackets with Lois. She paid her fare and stepped out onto the sidewalk. She looked up at Lex’s apartment building and knew she was making a mistake. She watched his window from the coffee shop in the lobby of the Ritz. She could barely see his window, but the light was on so she kept watching. It was nearly Midnight before she turned her phone back on. She had several messages, and she listened to them as she walked to the subway.

Most were from Lex, increasingly upset, and begging her to call him. One from Andy telling her that they had no news, he was just checking on her. Another from Clark. That one surprised her. He’d just said, “I’ll be keeping an eye out for you.” She stopped short on the subway platform. It was deserted on a Tuesday night. There was another ten minutes before the next train would arrive. She automatically spun around, with her phone still to her ear. Clark stood in front of her. Well, at the moment, he was Superman.

“I was just listening to your message,” she said. Her eyes strayed downward involuntarily, then back up.

“Cut it out.”
“Sorry, but you picked the outfit with the speedos.”

“What’s happening?”

“Can we go someplace a little less conspicuous if you’re going to wear that?” Chloe brushed her hand over the cape. Bright blue arms opened and Chloe felt a funny ache in her chest. An odd sense of displaced familiarity. She handed him her suitcase and stood up on her tiptoes, wrapping her arms around his neck. Superman bent his knees and placed his arm at her waist. Then they floated upwards and turned in midair. Chloe was lying flat against his front and he was floating just high enough so his cape didn’t hit brush the ground.

“Ready?”

“Yeah.” Chloe tucked her chin and the odd sensation of going from no movement to flight made her stomach jump. She held tight and watched, with one eye open, as Superman flew her into the tunnel. They picked up sped, but oddly enough, she didn’t feel as if they moved any faster than the train. A few platforms zipped past them she opted to close her eyes. She felt open air and heard the rush of wind. Superman never wavered or adjusted his grip so she guessed that they were still flying in the …woman superior position. Then she felt gravity pulling at her waist and opened her eyes. There was no city in sight. No lights of any kind, save the moon. Abruptly, they were touching down and Chloe looked around. She was in a forest. A dense one, and she was set down on the ground. “Where are we?”

“We’re safe.” His voice sounded different. He didn’t affect the nasal tone he’d begun in college. It was a man’s voice now. She didn’t always think of them as the same person anymore. They didn’t act the same. “Your phone will pick up a satellite signal here, but it would be difficult for anyone to get to you without you knowing they’re coming.” He took her hand and tugged her up a small hill where the crest of it revealed a small lake; the lake seemed to stretch all around. Moonlight glittered off the water and there didn’t appear to be any people or structures around. He pointed the hand that held her suitcase to a clearing where there was a small cabin near a dock that jutted out into the water.

“Is this yours?”

“Yes, I bought the island years ago and did most of the building by hand.”

“Took you what? Ten minutes?”

She got a Clark Kent smirk. “I’ll have you know,” he said, “That I took a whole week off to do this. I took my time with it.” Chloe chuckled and squeezed his hand as he led her over a small path to the porch. “It runs on a generator but keep the shades shut if you’re turning on the lights.” He opened the door and went inside. “Wait here a second.” Wind wooshed around Chloe’s ankles and he was back in front of her. He looked a little self-conscious. “I haven’t been here in awhile, it was dusty.”

Chloe walked inside, and another gust of wind brought Superman back with an armload of wood. He started a fire and placed her suitcase on a round, oak table.

“Did you build everything here?”

“Just about,” he said, moving around, looking silly in his red boots and cape with the rustic background. “Electronics I had to buy, along with the generator, but I did install the solar panels myself.” He sounded like Clark again.

“I won’t ask how you found me,” Chloe said. “But I will ask why you were looking.”

“I got a tip from someone at the police station that Bobby, the photographer from the charity event was found dead.”

“So you came looking for me?” She narrowed her eyes. He looked guilty.

“I…overheard Detective Riley calling you.”

“What I wouldn’t give to have your hearing, sometimes.”

Once Chloe was alone, she called Andy to tell him she was safely hidden. He wasn’t able to give her any more details about Bobby, but he sounded relieved that she’d called so soon. She allowed him to assume she was close. Lex hadn’t left a message, but he’d connected to her voicemail several times. She called Lois to tell her she was safe, Lois was still with Sheri.

When Chloe called Charlie, he read her the riot act for taking off, and assured her he didn’t hold her responsible for the actions of a stalker who was currently in police custody. His comment got her thinking.

“What are you thinking, Love?” he asked. “I can hear the gears turning.”

“Well, this whole mess seems ridiculously complicated for the Tanners.”

“I agree, but where are you going with it?”

“Bobby is the Joker in this deck. He doesn’t fit the equation.” Charlie waited. “This whole thing with the Tanners is odd. The son, the doctor, the fire and Lex being followed. Something isn’t right in there, somewhere.”

“I concur, but where’s the motive for Bobby being killed?”

“The obvious suspect would be the doctor’s son. They disappeared together.” Chloe chewed her lip. “And why Bobby?”

“He’s an opportunist,” Charlie said, thoughtfully. “He will make money the fastest and easiest way he can. If that means finding leverage on someone and using it to blackmail them, he’d do it. Hell, if he found something juicier on the person who hired him, he’ll trade sides.”

“How do you know this?’

“I’ve had people hire him and then come to McEvoy’s to get rid of him. Usually all you need to do is find something on Bobby to make him go away. He’s really slippery. No qualms about working wife against husband; selling his information goes to the highest bidder.”

“Pretty profitable considering the fact that people who hire PIs usually have something to hide, themselves,” she added. “There’s always a reason people want someone discreet, sometimes it’s just a matter of privacy, other times, its just a matter of get them before they get you.”

“So you think his disappearance with Andrew Tanner is coincidental?”

“Probably not, it really is a stretch, but their reasons for disappearing might have been different.”

“Where are you going with this?”

“I’ll get back to you on it.”

Chloe hung up and pulled on a sweater. The night air was cool and she hadn’t started a fire yet. She liked the darkness and quiet. She had no real clue where she was. There was no measuring Superman’s wind speed or direction. He could’ve flown her in a zig-zag pattern and she could be in Kentucky, Washington, Upstate New York…” Somehow, Superman’s speed didn’t harm her. The human body could only withstand so many G-forces, but she knew he’d moved fast with her and with others and they’d remained unharmed. He had a vague explanation about a natural force field that extended to another human. It was part of the alien package.

Rubbing her arms, she walked out onto the porch, shutting the door, and any light, out behind her. She felt silly, standing in her high-heeled boots in the middle of nowhere, she should change into her sneakers just for the ambiance. She chuckled to herself and sat on the rocking chair, placing her booted feet on the porch rail. She was a city girl, but this place really was unlike anything else she’d ever been to. She stared out onto the lake and felt herself relaxing with the moonlight glittering as the wind brushed tiny waves to break the surface. Her mind cleared and she slowed her breathing like she’d been taught in Yoga class.

Like falling snow, Chloe’s thoughts fell into place and made thin sheets, one covering another. The events of the past months lay before her, almost visually. A timeline emerged and she leisurely picked out and sorted her memories. A niggling thought began at the back of her mind, but she forced it to stay there until she could sort through the events surrounding it. The back of her neck prickled, the thought became a spark. And ignited a fuse. The fuse burned a trail, like a line of gunpowder towards something. She waited, not breathing, then it exploded in her mind. She sat up, quickly, and went back inside.

Chloe picked up her phone and dialed Clark’s cell. He didn’t pick up so she left him a brief message. Then she called Lex.

“Chloe?” His voice was alert. He hadn’t been sleeping, despite the late hour. “Where are you?”

“Safe, completely safe,” she said. “But…are you alone?”

“Yes,” he replied. “What’s going on?” His voice was gaining a tone of frustration. “Where are you?”

“Just listen for now; I think I have a lead. I’m going to call the police about it as soon as I hang up so just don’t open your door to anyone and don’t do anything till you hear back from me.”

“You’re crazy if you think I’ll just sit her-”

“You don’t have a choice. If you don’t promise to stay put, I won’t tell you anything at all.”

“Of course you will, you wouldn’t let me walk unknowingly into danger.” He paused. “Now that you love me.”

“Jerk.”

hfce
29th April 2006, 21:05
Oh man this is hurting my head. It is like a maze I still can't figure out. But I am loving just the same. This is my favorite line though:

“Of course you will, you wouldn’t let me walk unknowingly into danger.” He paused. “Now that you love me.”

“Jerk.” That is so Lex and so Chloe. He got her now. :rofl:

Kit Merlot
29th April 2006, 21:18
Excellent update, Zelda!

I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed Chloe's telling Lex she loves him--GOOD STUFF:D

In all honesty, I don't remember much after that--just kidding!

Detective "Call me Andy" Riley has certainly become mighty interested in Chloe--I hope she lets him down easy. Or maybe he's just this overprotective towards every young, beautiful, intelligent blond woman he meets.

I really like how Superman is helping Chloe out--it seems that Clark's gotten a lot cooler since his Smallville days. And I loved the shots that Chloe was taking on Lois--she wasn't being cruel, just pointing out that Lois needs to learn tact and to be more careful. All very true.

Now, I have to admit that I don't have a clue as to who is behind Bobby's murder. I can't wait to find out.

Wonderful work;)

Nonnie
1st May 2006, 18:28
Good update, cliffhangers kill me!!!

ceres
9th May 2006, 20:13
the one advantage of being home sick? You stumble across great fics like this and spend most of the day reading 'em. Wish i'd realised it was a WIP before i got hooked though :D

peapod
14th May 2006, 20:39
I love you, but I'd love you even more if you udpated :blinkkiss

zelda
18th May 2006, 03:22
Chloe dug out her phone and called Clark. She told him about her suspicions and he told her to get a good night’s rest.

“I need to be back there.”

“You need to be safe,” he answered. “Can you please, just this once, have a little faith in me?” His vice was a little strained. “I know I’m not the man you want me to be. Or the man I was, but I’m still someone who cares for you, and I won’t risk your safety; even if it means you’re pissed.”

“I do have faith in you.” Chloe hadn’t realized how much her opinion meant to him. “I always did have faith in you.”

“I’ll keep him safe.”

“One more thing,” she said, before she hung up.

“What?”

“Where am I?” She heard Clark’s chuckle

“I’ll give you a hint…Dirigo.”

Clark hung up on a seething Chloe who fired up her laptop and praised her own foresight for having chosen a computer with built in digital wireless service. She began researching the word. She knew it was Latin, but she didn’t know how it would help her figure out where she was. Her GPS had mysteriously lost its batteries and the wireless signal couldn’t pinpoint her without any discernable landmarks. Eventually she figured it out.

“This is Detective, Riley.”

“Hi, Andy.”

“Chloe, is everything alright?”

“Yeah, I’m okay and surprisingly I had one of the best nights of sleep that I’ve had in a long time.” Chloe sat on the front porch and sipped a cup of coffee. She wore her jeans and a heavy sweater against the morning chill of spring in the lakes region of central Maine. She yawned and thought longingly of the warm bed she’d just left.

“When you said you had friends in high places, I didn’t think you meant ‘sky high’.”

“I guess Superman was some help to you?”

“Well, since super-hearing isn’t covered under any statutes, it’s totally admissible.”

“He heard enough?”

“Yes, and she’s made a full confession.” Andy paused. “How did you know?”

“I didn’t have a clue for a long time, but the more I thought about it, the more I separated the factors out and realized that we were looking for Dr. Tanner’s son and Bobby at the same time, but it didn’t mean they disappeared at the same time.” Chloe turned around at the sound of a creaking door and a sleepy Lex blinked at her and smiled at her coffee cup. She handed it to him and he shuffled back inside. She blushed at the memory of the previous night.

“You were right. Bobby was killed several hours after the young Mr. Tanner hopped on a plane to Mexico.”

“I hated to think that Shelley was involved in any of this, but Bobby was such a wild card that I couldn’t assume his death was related to the fire.”

“She confessed but is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity.”

“Oddly enough, I think she’s got a pretty good case. All her lawyer has to do is tell a jury what kind of person Bobby was and they’ll give her a medal. She must have been pretty desperate if he was blackmailing her.”

“Apparently she carries a weapon for self protection,” Andy continued. “Allegedly she went to meet Bobby and pay him off for some pictures he took of her a week before you were hired by Lex. He demanded more money and physically assaulted her. She said she shot him while wrestling for the gun and put his hand on it out of fear.”

“How’s the evidence look?”

“Enough for reasonable doubt, his knuckles were bruised and she had a black eye. Don’t know if we’ll even get an indictment.” Andy sighed. “I don’t suppose you’ll be coming back here anytime soon?”

“Probably in a day or two. I kinda like the quiet here.” Chloe glanced behind her; Lex was watching her through the window. She hung up and went back inside.

“So you’ve got connections?”

“Lois thinks Superman has a thing for her. She used her clout to get me here.”

“Where is here?”

“No idea,” she replied. “But Superman said he’d be back when it was safe so we can just…find ways to pass the time.”

“I have to admit I was surprised when he knocked on my window and told me to pack a bag.” Lex shook his head and sipped his coffee.

“For some reason he thought you were in danger.”

“Still, my hetero instincts were a little threatened by snuggling with a man in spandex while flying around blindfolded.”

Previous night:

Chloe stared at the State of Maine Tourism info screen. The flag was displayed with the word ‘Dirigo’ on the bottom. It was Latin for ‘I Lead’. Back when New England held a lot of political power and the mill industry was booming. Maine’s Motto came about from the saying ‘As Maine goes, so goes the nation.’ Many years later, tourism, logging, and paper manufacturing were its main sources of income. The lakes region was peppered with small and large bodies of water and seemingly endless islands. She managed to narrow down the search to a couple of choices.

Chloe didn’t try and find her exact location; she wanted to have plausible deniability of Superman’s hideout. It was no fortress of solitude, but it was a lot more hospitable. Closing down her laptop, she went out to the porch and the stack of firewood that lay under a tarp. She picked up a medium-sized log and a couple of small sticks to add to the fire. She was walking back to the door when she heard a twig snap.

“Nice night for a fire.” Chloe spun around and stared out at Lex who stood in the light that spilled from the doorway. Dropping the wood to the porch with a clatter, she launched herself at him. He dropped the leather bag he’d been carrying and caught her around the waist. Her lips crashed into his and she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. “Now that’s a welcome worth the flight,” Lex said, once she broke their kiss. He cupped her face in his hands and pressed his lips gently to her forehead.

“Come inside.” Chloe tripped over the wood on the porch in her haste to get indoors with Lex. He laughed and helped her to her feet.

“We’ve got all night to catch up. Don’t go breaking anything; I don’t think we’ll be able to get an ambulance out here.” He picked up the wood and gestured for her to walk in ahead of him. He set down his bag and walked over to the fire where he tossed the fuel onto the flames. He took off his jacket and hung it on a wooden hook by the door. He looked around. “A little rustic for my taste, but it certainly has its charms.” He opened his arms and Chloe went to him, they kissed deep and long, gently touching tongues, inviting tastes.

“How did you get here?”

“Probably the same way you did.” Lex’s brows knit together with tension. “It took a lot for me to trust him, but he said it was or my safety and I couldn’t really say no. He wouldn’t let me see where we were going, but then we were just standing in the trees and he pointed to this little cabin with puffs of smoke coming out of the chimney.”

“How long were you standing there?”

“He was gone as soon as I turned my back; I walked up as you opened the door.”

“Well, I don’t know how much danger you were actually in, but I didn’t want to take any chances.” Chloe turned away and walked to the cabinets above the sink. She took out a couple of bowls and some soup. Then she turned on the stove, opened the cans, dumped them in a pot and set it on a burner. “Did Superman mention why you were a possible target?”

“No, but I’m guessing it has something to do with someone we both know.” Lex’s warm hands moved around her hips and he kissed the back of her head. “I can speculate.” She didn’t say anything. “Shelley wouldn’t have any reason to be involved with the Tanners, and she wouldn’t have much reason to attack you since the police know what you know. But Bobby our creepy photographer friend had his finger into a lot of pots and his appearance wasn’t a coincidence at the hotel.”

“You’re right, He’d been watching you and Shelley purely for paparazzi purposes. He’d caught Shelley and Kim in an argument where Katie kissed her in public. Not too many people around, but He was the one who approached the Tanners and offered his services. They were desperate for some leverage on you to try and win the patent case.”

“I still don’t understand the fire,” he said. Shaking his head and moving around her to stir the soup.

“Opportunity,” she answered. “They were there to get to Shelley and try to get her to turn on you. That’s why Bobby took a picture of me with her at the party, he wanted to intimidate her but Charlie stepped in and ran some interference.”

“And the fire?” Lex asked. “What did that solve?”

“Just a scare tactic and a way to get her alone. Apparently Charlie grabbed her in the crowd before Bobby could talk to her. Dr. Tanner didn’t know where she was but had heard us talking and thought she might be the one on the porch.”

“Opportunity to take car of a pesky PI?” Lex didn’t sound amused. He removed the bubbling soup fro the stove and poured it onto the bowls. Chloe set them on the table and Lex pulled a bottle of wine from the large cooler under the floor.

“How did you know that was there?”

“Superman told me,” Lex answered. “He said to look under the floor but to leave the Seventy-Year old Scotch alone.”

“How does he know you drink scotch?”

“X-Ray vision I guess.” Lex looked thoughtful for a second then shrugged it off. “Anyway, Lets see if he has any utensils or if he just squeezes everything.” Chloe chuckled at his joke.

“I think I can rustle up some glasses. And napkins if you take care of the eating implements.” They lit candles and sat together in the small cabin and ate soup and drank wine. They talked for several hours before Chloe started to feel drowsy.
“You’re going to fall asleep in your bowl.” Lex got up and cleared the table. Being away from the city had an odd effect on him. He took her hand and led her to the bedroom. There was a king-sized bed with a solid pine headboard. Chloe suspected it be handmade. The quilt and blankets were homey and colorful. Chloe found a linen chest and made up the bed with sheets and pillowcases.

It was chillier in the bedroom so they left the door open. Lex stacked a few more logs on the fire and set his watch as an alarm clock. Then he removed his shoes and opened his bag. He’d packed pajamas and allowed Chloe to take her turn in the small shower and brush her teeth. He told her he’d showered before leaving. Clean and dry, Chloe changed into shorts and a t-shirt, she hadn’t planned to have company.

Stepping out into the bedroom she felt a little shyer than she had when she’d flounced into his apartment like a hooker. Lex was already in the bed. Chloe padded quickly across the cold floor and hopped in on the other side.

“Are you tired?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she answered. “It’s been a long day.” He opened his arms and she lay beside him, her back to his chest and snuggled under the blankets. They were already warm from Lex’s body. “You have no idea how glad I am that you’re here,” she said once he’d turned out the lamp beside the bed. There was a flickering light coming in the door from the fireplace. “It’s like being alone. Completely alone for the first time.” His breath against her damp hair was the only reply and she drifted off.

Chloe’s dreams were restless, though not unpleasant. She began to slide back to consciousness with tingling skin and warmth spreading through her. She was aware of a hard, warm body pressed up against her and she arched her back, stretching out her legs, tangling them with the strong pair behind her. A soft noise and a hand on her hip had her blinking sleep away. She heard the hiss of breath sucked in fast and felt a warm pair of lips close on the back of her neck.

Lex’s body was definitely awake. His breath was quickening and he ran clumsy fingers through her hair.

“You awake?” he mumbled, fisting her pajamas in his fingers. He was restless behind her but holding back. Chloe placed her hand on his and pried his fingers out of the cloth at her hip. She slid his fingers under the front of her shirt and up to the swell of her breasts.

“I’m awake.”

“Shit.” His hand squeezed her breast. “I didn’t pack anything…for this.”

“I got a depo shot after I took the pills,” Chloe knew she had little control when it came to Lex so she figured it was better safe than sorry. Apparently, it was all the encouragement Lex needed. He pulled down the back of her pajama bottoms and locked his legs with hers. She felt him, hard and hot against her bottom.

“Don’t move,” he mumbled, his voice rough from sleep. “Just, just hold still.” He shifted closer so Chloe was half on her side and half on her front. He had one hand on her hip, holding her steady, and the other cupper her breast, pulling her chest back against him. He filled her fast, with a long, steady stoke. She gasped at the feeling of her body opening for him. With their legs locked together, keeping her closed and tight, the sensation was intense. Lex did all of the moving, just holding her still. He stroked and teased with his hands while working on her neck and shoulders with his lips, teeth and tongue.

Chloe was surprised when she felt a rush of heat and began to buck against Lex as she climaxed hard and fast. The unexpected rush had her scrabbling to grab a hold of him and managed to dig her nails into the flesh of his shoulder. A harsh cry broke loose when she came and Lex bit down on her nape. He tightened his fingers in a bruising grip and shuddered, stiffening through his entire body and Chloe felt his substance spurt inside her with each spasm.

Lex’s hands were trembling when he loosened his grip; Chloe was shaking all over. Instead of pulling away, or getting up, he wrapped a slippery arm around her hand held her closer. Their bodies remained joined as they fell back to sleep, lust subsiding to exhaustion until morning.

Kit Merlot
18th May 2006, 04:16
Excellent chapter, Zelda!

So Shelley was responsible for Bobby's death--I didn't see that coming:D

The smutty Chlex were wonderful as well, but I do kind of like Superman swooping in and helping Chloe and Lex out.

Well done, Zelda.

hfce
18th May 2006, 06:13
That was a great chapter. I love all the twist and turns that is going on in this story and love that Superman got Chlex reunited. I loved the smut nice. :D

gyhardin
18th May 2006, 16:20
A very lovely story. All the plot's twists and turns had kept me at the edge of my seat. The smut at the last chapter maybe not be as steamy as the others but the feeling of urgency and connection was there... simply loved it!

showntell
19th May 2006, 13:34
I got a nice suprise and found 2 unread chapter. Poor Lex having to surrender his dignity to Superman...but worth the Chloe loving I'm sure.

Thanks for the update(s)

lollipop-chop
19th May 2006, 19:42
yo yo yo... this is brilliant! i dont know how you do it! you really ar fabulous writer! keep it up! update soon xxx

lilinny
22nd May 2006, 02:29
Great reunion!!!!
:respect:

peapod
22nd May 2006, 09:17
Update, YAY!!!!:nsparty:

teb85
8th June 2006, 21:29
Fantastic update and great smut ! Can't wait for next installment!

gecko
9th June 2006, 18:52
great work, can't wait for the next chapter

Alizaleven
10th June 2006, 10:23
OMG!! This is such a great story :D Oh goodness, I just love it. Can't wait for the update :D

zelda
7th July 2006, 23:51
“Was that Detective Riley?” Lex was leaning up against the sink and finishing Chloe’s coffee. He was looking more awake now.

“Yeah, he’s tying up some loose ends now, but I imagine that we’ll be going home soon. I doubt Superman wants to leave us here.”

“He’d probably relish the chance to get me out of Metropolis for a little while,” Lex said, turning to rinse his mug in the sink. “I don’t think he’s ever been one of my greatest admirers.”

Chloe wasn’t tempted anymore to bridge the distance between the two old friends. She had no wish for Lex to know that Superman had admired him quite a lot at one time. It made his determination to see Lex legally persecuted stronger than his need to remove him from the planet. It would make him right. It would make Clark feel better inside to know that it was okay to hate one man.

“He wants to catch you legally, Lex. He’s not an assassin.”

“Hmm,” Lex was looking out the window. “Long ago, the original sect of Assassins used to get close to their targets, even serve and protect them, before the ceremonious murder in religious fervor.”

“You think Superman is setting you up for murder?”

“No, I just found irony in your words, my dear. I admire qualities in the man, and he’s saved my life even though he seems determined to persecute me.”

“Are you saying,” Chloe asked, walking toward him, “That he has no reason to want you in prison?” She stood beside him and re-filled the coffee pot with water. “I know you too well to believe you were completely legitimate. At least from the time I met you.”

Lex turned to Chloe and looked at her, his eyes held a hint of surprise in them.

“You’re here. You said you loved me.” There was a tiny hint of jealousy in his voice.

“I am, and I do.” She poured the water into the top of the pot and added a filter with coffee grounds. “Superman is an icon of truth and justice. You can’t love an icon. It would be like trying to have a life with only an idea. Makes things a little lonely at night. Besides, for all of his good features, he’s a little judgmental and inflexible when it comes to a gray area.”

“You like gray?”

“I live in shades of gray. So do you.” She placed a hand on his jaw. “We fight, we hate, we’re petty, we’re jealous, we are unfaithful. We’re human. He’s not.”

“Do you think it’s in the nature of whatever race he comes from, to be honest like he is?” Lex sounded more wistful and the question rhetorical.

“They’re probably just like us.” She shrugged, Superman said once that his planet had been destroyed because of the people who lived there. Maybe being the sole survivor of an entire race gives a new kind of perspective.”

“Maybe.” He turned to her and wrinkled his eyebrows at her. “But you always take his side,” he whined. Chloe clubbed him in the stomach. Lex grabbed her arms and wrestled her close. “Let’s not spend the rest of our time here talking about our illustrious host.” He hugged her tight and rested his chin against her hair. “This feels so strange,” he said wistfully.

“What do you mean?” Chloe asked. “Strange for us to be speaking civilly?”

“No, just strange for me personally; to have this time away. Without work, or any kind of interruptions.” He shook his head, moving his chin against her scalp. “It’s like…I don’t know.”

“A vacation?”

“A honeymoon.” He felt her go still in his arms. “A real one, not like the one’s I’ve had in the past.”

“Did you ever get to the honeymoon?”

“No I was usually on fire, or on a deserted island, or something equally dumb.” He tilted her chin up. “I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable, I just meant that I did actually imagine what a honeymoon was supposed to be. Just two people. Some place like here.”

The End

A/N: Seems abrupt, but some long-drawn out conversation about feelings and stuff has been done already. I thought an ending that involved Superman would make it about him and not Lex and Chloe.

hfce
8th July 2006, 00:00
But but.. no. this can't be the end... :( I suppose they get back and eventually get married and have kids and Lex crushes Superman right? :D

Hope ;)

Kit Merlot
8th July 2006, 01:33
Zelda, excellent ending!

I like that you had Chloe pointing out that she and Lex live their lives in gray areas--that is true;)

And I liked Lex's psuedo-proposal of marriage--very fitting.

This was a great story--Well done.

ggdoll18
16th July 2006, 22:49
very interesting story! well written :0)

biscuits
24th July 2006, 22:32
I really enjoyed this story from start to end, read it all in one sitting. I loved the idea of the tattoos--it was twisted, and believable, and has the potential for turning into something really sweet. I can just see the E! True Hollywood Story about them and showing their tats to the camera. It twas wonderful. Simply wonderful.

pisquenta
1st August 2006, 09:01
*wipes tear away*
That was a fantastic ending! Simple, short, but covering everything up!
I especially loved Bruce Wayne's cameo! lol
If you ever feel like doing a fic just for Charlie, be sure I will read and love it!
Your Chlex was very believable, the tatoo idea highly original.
Congratulations and thanks for the amazing fic! Now I'm off to read other fics by you!

Ainur
3rd August 2006, 03:50
Amazing story! You did a beautiful job with this fic. Everything was fantastic.

SianUrsula
29th August 2006, 19:48
I love this story so so so much. Every time I read it it makes me happy! Happy happy happy...

God that sounded a bit inane. But truly, you are a very talented writer and I love re-reading your stuff over and over again.

lollipop-chop
2nd September 2006, 12:43
i love this fic! im readin it again coz i forget alot of the details.... but omg its great!

Catvampcrazines
5th September 2006, 04:53
So well done. I loved this fic. It was one of those that I had to keep reading and kept me way up past my bed time. lol.

My fave part:

"Can you forgive me?" He cupped her face in his large palms. "I didn’t intend for your father to get hurt. I just didn’t care enough about the two of you back then to make an effort because I thought it was more important to look strong in front of my father. It took me a while to figure out what really happened when Dad erased my memories. By that time, you’d already graduated and we had locked horns a few times already." Chloe started to turn away but Lex wrapped his arms around her and held her. "I avoided you because I didn’t want to know what you were doing, or what your father was doing." She pushed away and stumbled barefoot to the door. "Clark and I weren’t speaking so I didn’t have him to remind me either." Lex spoke loudly. "Please, Chloe." She stopped with her hand on the door. "Tell me. If I asked you, could you forgive me?" He watched as Chloe rested her forehead against the door and slammed her fist against it a few times in frustration.

"I can’t get the self-satisfied look on your face out of my head," she replied, speaking to the solid wood. "The look you’ll be wearing after I forgive you and you do something else just to hurt me more."

"What if I begged?" Lex walked to where she was standing and dropped to his knees in front of her. He reached out and placed his hands on her hips. He rubbed his thumbs in the silky material of her top and pushed it up, baring a small strip of skin. He stared at her navel, as if contemplating his next words. "Could you forgive me?" He closed his eyes and pressed his cheek against her stomach. His fingers flexed on her hips, tightening and relaxing. He rubbed his face against her, rhythmically, easing up the shirt until more skin was exposed.

Chloe felt more tears running down her cheeks. She closed her eyes and rested the back of her head against the door. Her hands moved up and rested on Lex'’ shoulders. She tried to tell herself to push him away; instead, her arms went around him and she held him close to her. He placed several small kisses on her stomach, then slid his hands up her ribcage as he stood.

"Please don’t devastate me with another game," she said, softly. "I’m just too tired." Lex brushed away her tears and lifted her into his arms. He kissed her on the mouth and walked to the bedroom, carrying her limp body.

Alizaleven
25th October 2006, 09:08
*sigh* :D I love this story.. so much, the end was awesome...... and I'm reading it again... hehe I just wanted to peek inside and read a bit, but I can't I have to read all of it again ;)

dagney
22nd June 2007, 05:36
This was one of the best stories I have read. The plot, drama, angst, humor. The wonderful depth to Lex/Chloe. The descriptive action. I was on the edge of my seat. Bravo Dagney

Emch
23rd June 2007, 22:37
WOW!!!!! Great fic. I love all the suspense and the smut, of course. It's one of the best fics i've ever read. Although I'd have liked something more in the end. But anyway, keep wrting fics like this, please.

DarkFire
24th June 2007, 08:05
Oh wow. Excellent story. I read it in one sitting. Will love to read and epiloge about Chole and Lex relationship development.

DF

somethingeasy
24th June 2007, 17:28
This was a FANTASTIC story. It seriously gave me chills. You truly explored every facet of what a Chlex relationship could be in this one fic. I saw them starting out as intense personal rivals (I was about to use the word 'hate-filled' and 'bitter', but those adjectives don't come close to covering all the complicated, confused, mixed-up feelings they felt towards each other). The two of them challenging each other, trying to mess each other up... but doing it all within the confines of carefully set rules of engagement. It was one HELL of a game they were playing.

And then, there was a sudden moment when the 'game' went too far... Lex seriously scared me at that moment too. But I can easily imagine him getting carried away when pushed and challenged too far... especially when his feelings get involved in something. He tends to go just a few steps too far. But I was VERY glad to see that he was instantaneously filled with regrets for what he did, and that, from that moment onwards, he started actively working to build on something better with Chloe. So it was relatively easy to forgive that moment of insanity, when seeing how he tried to atone for it.

And I LOVED the way the relationship started slowly building into a whole new form of intensity. How their feelings shifted (or actually, were finally consciously accepted) into desire and love. It was a beautiful, stunning transition to watch... hypnotizing.

phew... I could go on for several DAYS about the Chlex relationship dynamics in this fic... but I'd also like to spare a few moments talking about sweet Shelly. She was very likable for a 'cheating girlfriend'. An excellent original character who seemed very interesting and fully fleshed out in her own right rather than as a convenient 'extension' of the Chlex. I LOVED reading her.

It's a pity that you have stopped writing Chlex fics. Your stories seem to have this scary, thrilling, haunting quality that I have seen in PRECIOUS few other fics. And I'd really love to see more Chlex stories from you in the future... or even an epilogue to this one (or any of your others) would be great.

scarlet
30th June 2007, 03:05
Very intricate story. Excellent build in their relationship, it was smoldering with heat the whole time and when they finally got together, it was perfect.

I hate Jake. I was sad he wasn't dead at the end.

elitekat
16th January 2008, 07:52
I read this whole fic AGAIN! I just love it. I'm so grateful to the authors that leave their work on the site so i can reread and enjoy again. Great work! I loved the Bruce Wayne/Batman cameo. YAY! Charlie rocks. Enjoyed this character alot.

juuicebox
20th January 2008, 21:00
great story. i enjoyed reading it :yeahbaby:

itsjustXchar
26th May 2008, 16:02
so i read this fic straight through, and i adored every detail of it!
you did an amazing job! =D

purplemoon123
29th May 2008, 07:45
I loved this so much. The dynamics of Chlex in this story is just amazing. Loved the ideas of the tattoos as a form of penance. Giggled at the Bruce cameo. Your characters were fantastic. I got to admit that Charlie is my fave. The Chlex sex was just :drool:

Rocio

dkangel1
19th June 2008, 05:12
Wonderful story! It was very well written and I love the details you put in it. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful story for everyone to enjoy. I was sad to see it end as I would of loved to see more interaction between Chloe and Lex.

cypanache
26th September 2008, 13:10
I just found this story and devoured it in one sitting. I adored everything about it. You had a wonderful fast moving plot (something I always respect and enjoy because its not one of my strong suits), and this amazingly twisted and yet very sexy relationship between Lex and Chloe. I loved the complications of it and I particularly loved Lex's realization at one point that for all he'd been dating other women he'd essentially been conducting an intense emotional affair with Chloe for so many years, that she got all of his emotion and passion, it just got channeled in a very strange way.

So thank you for writing this, it really goes on the list as one of my favorites on this board.

elementia
3rd November 2008, 16:34
Well done.
I just read this whole story in one sitting, after finding it while procrastinating from doing my work.

It was really interesting.

merdeliquesce
8th December 2008, 02:54
I also just read this all in one sitting. Procrastinating studying.

Really, great story! It was layered and there was such character development and backstory but it wasn't forced.

jkar
19th April 2009, 12:22
Thank you for that great read.

Having the others name tattooed on them in anger, then having that turn into a claim on each other was awesome.

Minty Revolution
4th May 2009, 01:32
Okay, so it took me a few days to get through the whole thing. But WOW!

I haven't squirmed and squealed for a story in a while. I'm glad I read this, it's given me an even happier outlook on life. And I thought I was happy before, I'm downright peppy now.

Thanks for making my week.

lit
30th October 2009, 22:25
That was a fantastic story! Two great lead characters with an intense and twisted relationship, that evolved at a great (and believable) pace. The tattoo and the game idea was just great. It made me remember the twisted game in the french movie "Jeux d'enfants".

But I especially loved how you brought others characters to the story: starting with her friend Sherry, the very likeable cheating girlfriend Shelley, and most definitely Charlie, with whom I fell in love. And I usually hate original characters.

And then the wonderful cameos by Bruce Wayne and Superman.

So congratulations. You're a gifted writer, especially good when writing banter, snark and humour. And thanks for sharing.

Julie
1st November 2009, 19:27
That was a fantastic story! Two great lead characters with an intense and twisted relationship, that evolved at a great (and believable) pace. The tattoo and the game idea was just great. It made me remember the twisted game in the french movie "Jeux d'enfants".

But I especially loved how you brought others characters to the story: starting with her friend Sherry, the very likeable cheating girlfriend Shelley, and most definitely Charlie, with whom I fell in love. And I usually hate original characters.

And then the wonderful cameos by Bruce Wayne and Superman.

So congratulations. You're a gifted writer, especially good when writing banter, snark and humour. And thanks for sharing.

*bump for comment - Got stuck in moderation queue :)*

Rachet
20th April 2010, 16:12
Really enjoyed finishing your story. Loved how you brought the everyone to life.

brm11
14th August 2011, 07:33
Wow! Absolutely Amazing Story!!!!!

I started reading it this morning and couldn't stop! I loved the plot and mysteries and the way you mixed in bits of humor and banter was awesome!!!!:D

daria_103
16th February 2013, 20:45
I love this story so much, it's one of my all time favourite Chlex fics. I love the intense relationship between them here and the years of history you've written for them not to mention Charlie, one of the best original characters in any fic I've read.

HotCrossedBunny
19th February 2013, 19:21
*Bounces up and down* That was fantastic! Wonderful Chlex. Brilliant mystery. Lovely ending! *contented sigh*

Rachet
30th October 2017, 20:09
This was not my first read through of this story but I had to mention that I really enjoyed the psychology of it. Them getting from such a dark and twisted place to a healthier one was a great read.

4leafclover
10th September 2018, 17:18
This was not my first read through of this story but I had to mention that I really enjoyed the psychology of it. Them getting from such a dark and twisted place to a healthier one was a great read.

im gland i found this gem,, and thank you for writingthis wonderful story

Ami Rose
11th February 2020, 16:04
Amazing! Love it!