PDA

View Full Version : How We Never Met Series Part 7 - Val. Day Fic - Trains Are So Romantic (PG-13/T)

PMD
29th April 2005, 02:54
Here you go, Teejei. :) The next part to the How We Never Met Series. Now, I'm off to search for that other story I'm posting tonight. Enjoy.

Title: How We Never Met Series - Part 7 - Valentines Day Fic - "Trains Are So Romantic"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Valentines Day Fic, Futurefic, Chloe and Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to Gone in Smallville.

Summary: Trains can be so romantic---with the right person.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, the song lyrics to A Smile Like Yours, Cupid, and Valentines Day, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Dedicated to one of the most romantic days of the year; Valentines Day. May everyday in your life be Valentines Day, with the one you love. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 7 - Valentines Day Fic - "Trains Are So Romantic" - by PMD

Prologue: I love trains, they are so romantic. But tonight, all I want is to rest and not be known as the Romance Writer of the Year - Chloe Sullivan.

~

Chloe's POV

I sit at the bar car, nursing a rum and coke and letting out a sigh.

Since getting on this train, at least 10 women have stopped me to ask me to sign my autograph on my latest. Not that I don't appreciate it---just that I'm exhausted from the long book tour and am looking forward to seeing my father in Metro, in a few hours. But then, the public calls and I must answer.

A book is shoved in front of me and I sigh.

"Who am I signing this for?" I ask.

"Lucas Luthor."

I look up. "Ah, taking a big chance at letting people know that a man reads romance, aren't you, Buddy?"

He chuckles at that and sits beside me. "Beer, please."

"What kind?"

"Whatever's good."

The man behind the bar leaves and he looks at me.

"Oh, you want an answer."

"That would be nice."

"Not for me---for my girlfriend, Emily. She loves romance."

"She must---she has you as a boyfriend."

Before he can say anything, his drink is placed before him and he takes a swig. He puts it down and burps.

"Okay, a man who is romantic and can burp too---she's a very lucky lady," I laugh.

"No, I am. So how about the big romance writer---anything happening in your life?"

"Those who can't, teach."

He places an arm around my shoulder. "Awwww---nobody?"

"Nobody."

"You know, I might just have somebody for you. Ever heard of my brother?"

"Alexander Luthor of the Metro Luthor’s. Works with his father to help create some semblance of sanity in the world---thanks to Lillian Luthor, a very beautiful red head, who keeps them both in check. And you and your other brother Julian too, Lucas."

"So, you have heard of the family."

"Honey, you would have to have been born on another planet not to have heard of them. So---what about your brother?"

"Want to date him?"

"Me, date Lex Luthor? Let me think on that for a minute---no!"

"Why?"

"Because I've seen who he goes out with. I'm not his type---wrong hair color and I'm not into his money or his power, like they are."

"That'll be a breath of fresh air for him."

"Yeah, well, I still think I'll pass on the date idea."

"How about you just meet him and have a friendship instead?"

I back away from him and smile. "That I can do."

"Good, cause he needs a female friend to fend off the idiotic females he's been going with. And as luck would have it---here he comes."

"Ooooo, I am so going to kill you, Lucas!"

"What'd you do now, Little Brother?"

I look past Lucas to the bluest eyes I have ever seen, twinkling like twin stars, looking into my soul. I smile at him and he returns a small one.

"You didn't sign my book," Lucas states.

These words bring me out of my spell and I open the book and sign it.

Lucas looks at the page and smiles, reading what I wrote there, out loud:

To a very lucky lady who has a very persuasive boyfriend

Chloe Sullivan

"Okay, I will leave you two alone. Night all."

We watch Lucas get up, take the book, and walk out of the car. Then we look at each other.

"So, don't you own a private plane or something? Couldn't you take that instead of the train?"

~

Lex's POV

Wow, this woman is intelligent and can actually hold a conversation with my brother---but she's also perceptive too. Noticing that I took the train rather than the plane---not many women surrounding me would do that. Okay, Lana would but she's a friend and she probably knows another reason why I didn't take a plane---bad memories. However the reason I'll be giving this incredibly insightful woman is:

"My mother and father needed it, Ms. Sullivan. Or may I call you Chloe?"

"Chloe is fine, Lex. So, you couldn't borrow the family jet because the parents needed it," she says with a smile.

"Yes."

"And also because of what's happened in the past on planes for you too."

My eyes narrow and I sit beside her, leaning in. "How did you---?"

"Oh, how did I know about that---Lex, please. You have heard of the invention called the newspaper."

"Ahhhh---okay, but who said I was scared of taking a plane in the articles?"

"I read between the lines---a talent that comes in handy when writing. And I would say more apprehensive then scared and that's understandable. But if you are scared, your secret is safe with me. Along with the ability to attract women who mean you harm at times. And speaking of women---is that your harem coming over?"

I turn to see a couple of women walking towards us. I turn back.

"Maybe they're your fans?"

"No books."

"Oh," I say, as I turn back and sees them standing there, smiling.

"Hey, aren't you Lex Luthor?"

I sense some eye rolling behind me and I give the ladies a disarming smile.

"Yes, I am."

"I told you, Jenny!" the one says.

I feel her moving closer, her arm draped around my shoulder. "Hello, Ladies. How can we help you?"

"Oh my God---Katie---it's Chloe Sullivan. We love your books!"

The chatter starts between the two women and they seem to have forgotten we're even there---they're so excited to meet celebrities but yet, they forget we're here. Happens all the time. I turn back to look at Chloe.

"Should we say goodbye or just leave?"

"Goodbye would make their day, I guess."

I turn back to look at them. "Ladies?"

They stop chattering and look at us, expectedly.

"We just wanted to say thank you for coming over and making our night. But now, we have to get going---early morning phone calls for both of us, I'm afraid."

"Awwwww---" they both state together.

"Yeah, the price of fame, unfortunately," Chloe adds.

She finishes her drink and we both get up. Then we decide to go one better than goodbye---great minds think alike. We hug the startled women and as we back away, they smile.

"If they ever say anything bad about you two, we'll set them straight," they both say.

"Much appreciated---especially for him," Chloe states, with a wiry grin.

I give them a smile and a smirk to Chloe, as she glances at me. We walk towards the door.

"Like you don't get people who don't like how you write?"

"I do---I just try to prove them wrong. Like you do, I bet."

"Except for the damn women thing. Why do I get the worst attracted to me?"

"Wrong cologne?"

I chuckle at that. "More likely that the right woman hasn't come along yet."

She stops. "Here we are at my compartment. And don't worry, Lex. The right woman will come along---you deserve some happiness, like we all do. Good night."

I look beyond her doorway. "Wow, beside each other. Hope you don't talk in your sleep; the walls are thin."

She just gives me a lifted eyebrow and then smiles. "Good thing you didn't come with a woman; if the walls are that thin, I wouldn't be getting any sleep."

She turns to the door again, opening it. Before she enters I slap her bottom for that remark and hear a squeak from her. She turns to look at me and sees a custom smirk. She just grins at me and walks in, leaving me to smile too. I like this girl. I really do.

~

Lex's Compartment

I can't sleep---I'm in my favorite black silk pajamas and still I can't sleep. It's her---the girl in the other room; she's haunting me. Or her smile is making me so happy I can't sleep.

Course, my cell ringing didn't help either. It was my mother---psychic Lillian. She could always tell when her boys were troubled but me more so---being the first born and all.

She asked me what was wrong and I said nothing. Then she said it’s a girl isn't it. I finally had to break down and say yes.

Then she asked all about her and in the end, demanded I go talk to her---maybe she was feeling the same way as me. I hesitated at this suggestion and she understood. Then she pulled the 'a broken heart has more room to love' line and I laughed. And promised I would talk to her tomorrow. Tonight she begged me. Tonight, I promised.

Well, times awasting, Lex.

I get up from my bed, trying to come up with a reason to go there and decide to go with the truth---I was lonely. Never alone but still lonely.

I open the door and close it, walking over to her compartment. I knock on the door and here a muffled 'Who is it?'

"It's me, Chloe."

The door opens a few minutes later and I smile at what she's wearing---a black silk nightie. A sign from whomever puts people together---maybe. Ironically, it's after midnight---it's Valentines Day too. Okay, Cupid, don't hit me over the head. I'm doing my best here.

"Why are you here?" she asks me.

"I wanted to see if you were okay?"

She smiles at me. "You were as lonely as I am, I take it. Want to come in and we can talk a bit?"

I nod my head and walk in, closing the door behind me.

~

Chloe's Cabin - A Few minutes earlier

Chloe's POV

Oh man, I can't sleep. That smile of his is so intoxicating, I need more. It's haunting me---like that song I can't get out of my head at the moment.

I finally give up and get out of bed, walking over to the window to the outside world. I sit on the bench on the other side and start to hum the melody. The chorus comes back to me and I sing:

"I have seen the bluest skies

Rainbows that would make you cry

I have seen miracles that moved my soul

Days that changed my life

I have seen the brightest stars

Shine like diamonds in the dark

Seen all the wonders of the world

But I've never seen a smile

As beautiful as yours"

I hear a knock at the door and ask who is it. It's Lex. I get up and walk over to the door, opening it up and see he's wearing the same color as me in nightwear. Well, that settles it---great intoxicating smile and same sleepwear color---we're made for each other.

I ask why is he here. And he says he wanted to see if I was okay. But I know that's not it.

I smile at him and tell him he's as lonely as I am. Then I invite him in and he accepts, closing the door behind him.

He stands by the bench, waiting for me to sit down first. I sit and he joins me.

"So, have you started your next book yet?" he asks me.

"Well, I'm trying to come up with an idea at the moment for a new one. Can I bounce the idea off of you?"

"Sure."

I take a deep breath. "Okay, see, I think this idea might work. It's about this man who sets up people---like a human Cupid. But he's never found love at all himself. Sooooooo---somebody close to him sets him up with this girl, whom turns out to be somewhat of a Cupid herself. But they're both scared to take this chance because they've been hurt so many times. Until---"

"Until?"

"Until they finally take a chance---actually, it's on a train and it's not so much a chance as they're thrust upon each other, because of---"

I don't say anymore because at the very moment, the train lurches and I find myself thrust against his body. I back away and smile.

"Like that?" he asks me.

"Yeah, something like that. Than he steadies her."

"Like this?" he asks, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"More like his two hands are on her arms."

"Like this?" he asks, doing that very thing.

"Yes."

"And than?"

"And then they kiss, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Okay, they kiss---it's a romance remember."

"Well, it sounds great so far," he states, pulling back his hands.

"Yeah, I guess. Just wish I could get an accurate description of this kiss---I usually get some ideas from a friend of mine and her husband. Guess I'll have to wait till I get to Smallville later on this month."

"Or we could do some fieldwork here?"

"Eh?"

"We could do some experimentation here."

"Oh that sounds so----"

Before I can get the last word in, he's kissing me. Lex Luthor, the most eligible bachelor in Metropolis, is kissing me. And it feels---heavenly.

I'm a little stunned at first but then I mold myself into it---his tongue begging for entrance so it can mate with mine. I give it gladly, moaning my acceptance of giving up the fight and becoming more than friends.

He backs away, smiling at me---a slight one. Then he takes my hand and leads me to the bed and our first night together.

~

Lex's POV

I awake to her looking at me.

"Can't sleep?" I ask her.

"Afraid you might be gone if I did. Like maybe this is a dream and I'll awake alone, again."

I pull her close to her. "Not going to happen. Somebody once told me I would find the right woman. Ironically, it's the same person who told me that. I'm not going anywhere, Chloe."

"Promise?"

"I promise. Now, go to sleep."

"Okay," she states, leaning up to kiss me. Then she snuggles close again and sighs.

"What?"

"Trains are so romantic, Lex."

"And now you know another reason for me to take them."

She backs away. "Oh, you took trains to find the person who'll love you for you and not the planes and automobiles you own."

I nod my head.

"Well, look no further, Luthor. You had me with your smile and that's all I want, besides your body."

I chuckle at that and sigh as she snuggles to me again. I hear her humming.

"What's that?"

"A song that's been going through my head since you smiled at me."

"And?"

She backs away once more and starts to sing:

"I have seen the bluest skies

Rainbows that would make you cry

I have seen miracles that moved my soul

Days that changed my life

I have seen the brightest stars

Shine like diamonds in the dark

Seen all the wonders of the world

But I've never seen a smile

As beautiful as yours"

As she finishes, I see her smile a smile as beautiful as she thinks mine is. Then she yawns, kisses me once more, and snuggles close. It's not until I hear a steady breathing from her that I join her in rest. Yes, Chloe, you are right. Trains are so romantic, be it Valentines Day or not. And always will be, with you by my side.

The End.

bluengreenswmer
29th April 2005, 04:07
ooh ANOTHER new PMD ficcy ficcy!! Yay!!

autumngold
29th April 2005, 04:45
What a perfect story!! Thank you so much for this great Chlexy piece!!

tiger04
29th April 2005, 05:38
that was a wonderful story :blinkkiss . I love the idea of a train romance!

AT

PMD
29th April 2005, 11:50
Hey Guys:

Blue: Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :)

Autumn: Awwww---glad you enjoyed the train ride, sweetie. :)

Tiger: There's just something about the train and romance---maybe the motion and getting jostled into a stranger and finding out there might be a spark there? :) Glad you enjoyed it, hon. :)

tigerbaby
29th April 2005, 13:14
Moved because Valentine's Day isn't considered a holiday.

teejei
29th April 2005, 19:26
oh, gah! romance!

*sigh* *swoon* *thud*

although i write angst, i'm such a sucker for your fics. :o

psychic Lillian. now there's a mother! :grin3:

had a bit of writer's block during a confrontation scene, it's about Chloe's heart. i decided to read around first to release some frustration when this one just jumped at me from the middle of its paragraph.

'a broken heart has more room to love'now it's currently serving as instant inspiration for my series. i hope i do it some justice. :wub:

another great PMD fic! like i said before in my challenge; KEEP EM COMING!!! :ecstatic:

starmoon
29th April 2005, 22:40
loved it is so perfect. keep going

PMD
29th April 2005, 23:05
Hey Guys:

Tigerbaby: Thanks, sweetie. :) Much appreciated for the move of my fic to the appropriate corner. :)

teejei: Glad I inspired you past that writers block, sweetie. :) And you know, I believe that; a broken heart does have more room to love. :) Glad you enjoyed the piece, hon. :) Can't wait to get the third part for me to beta. <g>

Star: Yep, got more of the series to send out, eventually. Working on one that's a crossover with Veronica Mars and another that has Lionel as a good guy---yeah, not a typo----a good guy and Lillian is still alive. :) Glad you enjoyed this one, sweetie. :)

~*~Tasha~*~
24th June 2006, 21:24
That was precious, Peggy. Nice addition to your series.

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 18:21
Liked the idea of a happy Luthor family

Ami Rose
2nd June 2013, 06:24
So sweet