PDA

View Full Version : Into The Darkness (rated-R)

Gemkat5
25th April 2005, 15:44
TITLE: Into the Darkness
AUTHOR: Kat
E-MAIL: gemkat5@yahoo.com
DISCLAIMER: The 'only' thing I claim to own is the insane idea that formed this story. Everything else is borrowed.
SPOILERS: I pretend that season 4 doesn't exist, but anything before that is fair game.
SUMMERY: This is definitely an AU, Lionel is the only one who knows who touched the ancient artifact from the caves first, and it wasn't him. He realizes that he had pushed Lex too far and now its taking its toll. Lex has become too darkened and must be stopped. But Lionel doesn't have a lot of time left, his health is fading and fading fast. Upon his release from prison he resorts to the least likely person to help him, but Lex has a plan of his own. Can they stop Lex from stepping into the darkness?
PAIRING: Chlex, (minimal amount, but it's there)
FEEDBACK: Is that a trick question? Of course I want feedback!
ARCIVING: BT2, NS.Net
RATING: R for my potty mouth.
A/N: Considering this is fan fiction, and I'm not getting paid for any of this, I deem it ok to mess with the SV timeline and DC Comics cannon just a little. I changed a thing or two, maybe three. *G* (i.e. Lex was poisoned before the pretrial, not after, and Lucas makes an appearance.) I hope you enjoy it none the less.

INTO THE DARKNESS ~ CHAPTER ONE

Lionel had returned to Metropolis that fateful day feeling battered and bruised. Not only had he become 'a sacrifice' by the psychopath teenager who had possessed the ancient blade found in the caves, but he had also lost the opportunity to claim said blade for himself.

The Indian boy had deemed Lionel the 'friend turned enemy' from his People's prophecy, and with his track record Lionel couldn't blame him for that assumption no matter how wrong it had been.

Lionel had wanted that artifact as soon as he had found out about it and was willing to stop at nothing to get it. It was said to have healing powers, adding strength and endurance to its possessor. Lionel had desperately wanted to be that possessor! Everything he had tried so far to rid himself of his disease had failed, that blade had been a last hope to be cured.

But that hope had turned to ash right in front of his eyes. He had never been so astonished in his life as he had been the second his son's skin had touched that blade a fine hair's width before his. The artifact was already turning to ash when Lionel's fingers had made contact.

Lex wasn't aware of which of them had reached it first, his questioning gaze said as much after they had watched the ashes scatter in the breeze. But Lionel knew and that fact both angered and disturbed him greatly. Not one word had been spoken between himself and his son during the drive back to the mansion. Lionel had gathered his things and left, ignoring his son's frequent accusing glares. He had mistaken Lionel's silence for his own conclusions.

'Let him think that I was the one who destroyed it,' Lionel had thought in retrospect. 'It will keep him in line if he thinks I'm truly that evil.'

But that reasoning had an unprecedented effect that Lionel hadn't counted on. Lex had become more determined than ever to destroy him and he had somehow incorporated the aid of one Chloe Sullivan, not to leave out the infamous Clark Kent.

Lionel had to act quickly to stop his son from going down the path he was heading. Having him committed and scheduled for electric shock therapy had been the best case scenario as far as Lionel was concerned. It would relieve his son of his outrageous plans of domination, and leave the teenagers involved left unscathed for the most part.

Things had been going so well until Clark Kent had greatly interfered with everything! And Chloe Sullivan was mustering up trouble from a different perspective! But his plan had worked, despite their meddling. His son hadn't remembered anything of his little plan by the time he had been done with him!

But he had become too confident with the results of his son's 'therapy'. He hadn't calculated all the training he had put into Lex to come back in full strength. His son had pooled on his 'Luthor' upbringing to not give up and had become determined to regain his memories, with no regard for the consequences.

Add that to that damn farm boy becoming affiliated with Edge... of all the people to get tied in with, Morgan Edge was quite possibly the most unexpected force to have to contend with. Lionel hadn't had so much chaos to deal with at once in his entire life.

His son was regaining his memory, Chloe was digging up skeletons from his past, and Clark.... Clark Kent was the enigma in the mix. That boy had somehow managed to become involved with everything! But what irked Lionel the most was that Edge knew something about the Kent boy, he knew what made him different, and the bastard wouldn't tell him what it was!

Lionel deemed the past several months as the 'year of failure', though he would never admit to feeling that way to anyone! He had Kent where he wanted him only for that incompetent 'doctor' to foil everything! He had specifically told him NOT to start without him, but did he listen? No. But Lionel refused to dwell on that. Clark Kent was a mystery to everyone he came in contact with, he would have acted accordingly without hesitation if the shoe had been on the other foot, as they say.

Lionel sighed deeply with contemplation. He had relied too much on his power to intimidate, he had realized this too late. Instead of them shirking back and leaving things they had no business dabbling in alone, they had joined forces against him. They had put themselves into Lex's confidence, letting him be the front man, a distraction, while they came in from the rear.

The bond among them was admirable, even from Lionel's perspective. But something had happened among their ranks that Lionel had noticed immediately when they had entered the courtroom for his pre-trial.

Chloe had been the brave little girl, doing the right thing to fix all the wrong Lionel had created. She had been scared to death, he had seen it in her eyes, though she had covered it well under her brave facade. He had given her a mental ovation for standing up for herself despite his threatening her.

Clark had one purpose and one purpose only, to make sure Lionel didn't see the light of day any time soon. His entire countenance had been tense and full of anger. Lionel had known without a doubt that the boy had used the key he had given him and found Lex's little obsession. That he showed up anyway as a witness against him made Lionel realize just how much he had underestimated their friendship. Even though that day had been a turning event in all their lives, they had stood together to finish what had been started.

And last but certainly not least, his son. Lionel wasn't surprised to see his son still alive, it had only been a warning and nothing more. If he had wanted Lex dead, then he would have died. Lex had been saved in the nick of time just as Lionel expected, though not by Clark Kent.

Lex had entered the courtroom with vengeance in his eyes. His countenance had exuded his confidence that he would be the victor. The coldness that had been in his eyes when he met his father's had sent a chill up Lionel's spine, reminding the older man of the day when Lex's touch had destroyed his chance of a longer life.

'If only I had touched the blade first... if only.'

There had been one brief moment when Lex had glanced at Chloe Sullivan, his eyes had softened and he had laid his hand atop hers reassuringly. The gesture had only lasted a few seconds, but Lionel had witnessed it and stored it in his mind for further thought at a later time. It was with the help of Chloe Sullivan that his son had put him in jail.

'Big surprise that,' he silently mused.

Lionel had greatly underestimated that girl. If it weren't for her Lex would never have had anything to hold against him. How she had managed to retrieve his deleted admission from her cell phone was certainly perplexing. She was proving to definitely be someone to contend with! And she was getting smarter, more ruthless, and more cunning with every passing day.

He blamed his son for that. Never mind the fact that he himself had given the teen a lesson well learned. Yes, Chloe Sullivan was definitely growing to be a formidable woman underneath that pretty face.

Lionel had raised his head as an idea filled his mind. 'Yes, she's becoming very formidable, and beautiful too as she matures. She was absolutely exquisite at the pre-trial.' The kindness that he had witnessed Lex bestow upon the girl replayed in his mind.

Lionel was confident that, despite Chloe's proof, he would ultimately be found not guilty and would again see the light of day very soon. And when he did, he would find a way to keep Chloe Sullivan right where she was now, by his son's side.

~

It had taken every ounce of self-control for Lionel to remain impassive when he heard of the Sullivan's 'safe house' exploding. No remains had been found and none were expected considering the intensity of the blast.

'What have you done, Lex?'

He was torn between regret and foreboding. Regret for not warning the young woman of his son's ability to do something like this, and foreboding that Lex had actually done it. Chloe had been Lex's star witness against him. She had trusted him, confided in him for a mutual cause.

'Why? Why, would he have her killed?' He wiped his face with his hand, 'What have I done to you Lex? You weren't supposed to turn out this way, not this corrupt, not this relentless!'

She must have stumbled on something that Lex didn't want her knowing about. It was the only thing Lionel could think of, except that he would be suspect for her murder, even though he was behind bars.

Lionel leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees, his head resting in his hands. 'My son killed such a beautiful thing just to get back at me.' For the first time in his life, Lionel Luthor's eyes became moist with sorrow.

~

Lionel had been found not guilty and was released within three hours after the trial. He returned to his Metropolis penthouse feeling sullen and at a loss. The security that had surrounded him from the courthouse to LuthorCorp Towers had been so tight that he had almost felt claustrophobic. There were many people out there who believed he was responsible for not just his parent's deaths but those of Chloe and Gabe's as well.

Closing his penthouse door with a backward swing of his arm he paused. The silence in the apartments was so deafening he could hear his own heartbeat in his ears. He stepped over to the bar to pour himself a drink, he needed something to settle his nerves. He was a very sick man and he was feeling it more and more as the days progressed.

"Careful, dad. You wouldn't want to choke on your own scotch," Lex announced from behind the desk, swiveling around to face his father as he poured his drink.

"If idle threats are the only thing you have to say, Lex, keep them to yourself," he replied evenly, though he put his glass down untouched. Turning to face his heir he met his cold stare head on. "What do you want, Lex?"

"Unlike the jury, I wasn't fooled by your court performance. I wanted you to know that personally."

"I've pushed you too hard, I realize that now. But Lex, you're taking things too far. If I've taught you nothing, I've tried to empower you with a sense of morals."

Lex chuckled without humor as he rose from the chair. "Oh you've taught me more than morals, dad, rest assured of that. I have a feeling that your last days of drawing breath are going to be full of surprises."

Lionel remained silent as he watched his son walk casually for the door. He was reminded of himself when he was young and cocky, only his son had taken everything he had taught him and turned into something far worse.

"Why'd you do it, Lex?" he asked, expecting him to pause and demand a more precise question.

"To keep your hands off of her," he replied, not bothering to turn around as he opened the door.

"You killed an innocent girl and her father, Lex!" he shouted, not bothering to keep his tone in check.

Lex paused briefly to look back over his shoulder. "No I didn't. I kept my promise to protect them against you. You'll never be able to touch her again."

Lionel felt the blood drain from his face as his son closed the door on his way out. He turned back to the wet bar and picked up his scotch. As the glass touched his lips, he paused, then placed it back on the smooth surface. Lex had finally managed to put a spark of fear in his heart. Lionel fully believed that his son was truly capable of anything at this point, and he needed to be stopped!

end 1/3

Gemkat5
25th April 2005, 15:47
ALL HEADERS AND DISCLAIMERS ARE IN CHAPTER ONE!!!!

INTO THE DARKNESS ~ CHAPTER TWO

'I'm 'touched' that you went to so much trouble to find me, dad, really I am," Lucas was saying with abounding sarcasm, his hand dramatically placed over his heart. "But I'm not going anywhere near Lex and not even all your money could convince me otherwise."

"He's out of control, Lucas, you 'must' help me!"

"Must I?" he asked, raising his brows high on his forehead. "No, I don't think so. You created him long before I ever came into the picture. You had your chance to be rid of him and you blew it. I'm not going anywhere near him, and that's my final answer."

"He's resorted to murder," Lionel stated, keeping his voice low so only Lucas heard him. It was bad enough that the local cafe was small and just his manner of dress had drawn attention to them.

"So? I thought that was a requirement for being a Luthor. You've tried to kill him twice! Give it another shot, Lionel, and I'm sure you'll get it right the next time."

"Dammit, Lucas! It was Chloe Sullivan and her father! They were innocent people! Meddlesome, but innocent."

"I know who it was," Lucas growled, leaning over the small table to lessen the space between their faces. "You might have had to spend millions to find out anything about me, but I'm more than up to date with you and your son!" he backed up to reseat himself. "The two of you can't brush your teeth without it being front page news somewhere, and I've got my eyes all over the world!"

"Then you know that I'm dying as well?"

"Yea, but I didn't read that in a paper. I saw it in your eyes the minute I looked at you this morning. You reek of sickness."

"My days are numbered, Lucas. I'd like to fix my mistake before I die."

"Can't say that I care, Old Man. Good luck cleaning up your mess." He stood from the table and pushed his chair in. "You could always just put a bullet in his head," he shrugged. "Doesn't really matter where you spend your last days if all you want is a clear conscious."

Lionel watched Lucas walk out of the small cafe. What the hell had come over them? He could understand Lex's turn for the worse, but Lucas's indifference didn't seem right. The boy hadn't grown that much in the past two years.

Glancing down at the table he picked up the envelope stuffed with money he had offered as a deposit for Lucas to help him. The boy hadn't even looked at it, hadn't wanted anything to do with it.

Not satisfied with how the meeting had turned out, Lionel stepped outside and headed for the most presentable looking hotel he had found in the small village.

~

After leaving Lionel in the cafe, Lucas had made a quick stop at the post office, then casually browsed at the grocery store before heading to his flat. He didn't trust Lionel one bit, and wanted to make sure he hadn't been followed. As an extra measure, Lucas stripped himself of his clothes just inside the door and tossed them out the window, letting them land in the garbage can below. The action might be considered overboard, but he wasn't taking any chances of being bugged or followed in any way.

After showering and getting dressed, he felt it was safe to go back out. Lucas had rented a second flat after Lionel had contacted him 'just in case'. Now he was glad he had taken that precaution. If the old man had hired someone to tail him, they were damn good because Lucas hadn't caught sight of anything that seemed suspicious, and he was looking for it with every instinct he possessed.

Entering the alternate apartment, Lucas locked the door behind him, sliding the added bolt lock in place. He leaned back on the hard wood, closed his eyes, and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Did it go that bad?"

"No," he answered, giving himself another minute before opening his eyes. "I just don't want to underestimate him. He gave up too easy and that has me worried."

"Every precaution has been taken to ascertain that he will not find us here."

"I know," he agreed with a nod. "But I have a feeling that he didn't get on that flight back home."

"Well then that feeling would be right. I called the airport, and Lionel Luthor did not board any flights out. But, he did check into the Stone Deck Hotel."

'Son of a bitch,' Lucas breathed. "I knew it!"

"Lucas, it was inevitable. He won't find anything if we don't want him to. 'We' have the upper hand this time."

"I shouldn't have come here," he fretted, starting to pace while running his hand through his hair. "I would have been able to watch him from my flat. I'm not sure that I wasn't followed."

"Lucas, calm down." He turned around at the reassurance. "I trust you. If there had been 'anything' out there you wouldn't have risked coming here. I know that for a fact."

Lucas felt relieved by the confidence that had been given him and calmed down. "I'm still not going to stay here. And it will be better if I don't come back until we're sure he's gone."

"I agree with that. We went to too much trouble to set this up just to have something stupid blow it all to hell."

Lucas walked to the door and slid open the locks. "You know how to reach me if you need anything," he said turning around.

"I'll be fine."

He nodded then stepped through the opened door. He waited on the other side until he heard the double click of the locks being put back in place. Satisfied, he returned home with all his senses on full alert.

~

"I don't want to hear your excuses," Lionel addressed his private investigator. "I want to know where he goes and who he knows. It's not a difficult task."

"True, but your sons have never been easy case scenarios, Mr. Luthor. He stops frequently and is too damn observant, even more so than his older brother. In fact, if you ask me, I think he knew he was being followed."

"I didn't ask. I'm 'telling' you what to do, and I don't want any more excuses. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Mr. Luthor, very clear."

~

He walked into the public dining room and found his target almost immediately. Strolling over to the table, he seated himself as though he were expected.

"What are you still doing here, Lionel?" Lucas asked.

"Lucas! What brings you here?" he asked, wiping his mouth with his napkin.

"This is where I have my breakfast," he replied dryly. "But you already knew that, right?"

"Really? It would seem to me that 'you' were keeping tabs on 'me'."

"Luke!" a voice boomed from across the room. "You want your usual?"

Lucas gave the woman a thumbs up then turned his attention back to Lionel. "You were insinuating something?"

"Well," he shrugged indifferently. "I suppose this is your table as well?"

"Actually," Lucas stated, leaning forward to fix Lionel with his gaze. "No, its not. But while I'm sitting here I'd like to get one thing cleared up."

"What would that be?"

"I'm not going to change my mind, and there's nothing you can say or do about it."

"Come now, Lucas, you're simply playing hard ball and we both know it. So why don't you save us both some time and simply tell me what you want."

"I want you to forget you ever found me and be on the next plane back to Metropolis. I'll even send someone along to keep you company."

Lionel didn't like the way Lucas was smiling at him. He was up to something and he'd be damned if this little upstart thought he could intimidate him at his own game. Non-chalantly picking up his glass of water, he took a healthy sip just to prove to his youngest offspring that he wasn't impressed in the least.

As he placed the glass on the table he felt a presence come to stand behind him. He raised his eyes from the glass to look evenly at Lucas. The knowing smirk and the light in his eyes were more than enough proof as to 'who' was at his back.

"What have you done, Lucas?"

"I made a phone call," he answered smugly with a devilish grin. "Now if you'll excuse me, my breakfast is ready at 'my' table."

Lionel heard what could pass as a high five behind his head, but he refused to inconvenience himself by turning around to look. Lex would come into sight soon enough and then he would put a stop to this nonsense.

"I'll be waiting for you at the airport," Lex announced coldly, remaining where he was. "I suggest that you not miss the flight."

Lionel craned his head to the left only to catch a glimpse of his eldest son as he walked past him on the right. Turning back around he was rendered stumped, again, to having to watch his son's back walk out the door. Glancing around the restaurant his vision landed on Lucas who was piling his face at the counter, outwardly chuckling between bites.

Wiping his mouth on last time with dignity that only Lionel Luthor could muster, he dropped the cloth onto his plate, left an appropriate amount to cover the bill on the table and headed towards the door.

Once outside he was faced by Lex who was leaning casually against Lionel's car, his sunglasses blocking anyone from seeing his eyes. Standing next to him was the private investigator.

"Surely you don't begrudge me visiting with my second son? I'm dying, Lex, I simply wanted to see him one last time."

"Get in the car," he ordered evenly.

Lionel raised his chin indignantly. This has gone on long enough! He was about to rebuke his son when the detective reached for the handle to the front door and climbed into the waiting car, closing the door when he was inside.

Realization flooded his mind. Lex had managed to get one over on him. "You knew that I would seek out Lucas and staged this little coupe." A hint of awe laced his voice.

"I'm not playing cowboys and indians, as you're so fond of doing. I'm playing for keeps. I've worked harder than you ever gave me credit for. I've risen from the ashes more times than I can count, and I 'will' beat you at your own game even if I have to kill you to do it."

"Killing me won't get you anywhere, Lex. I've made sure of that years ago. If I don't die of natural causes then you are left with nothing."

"Is that what stopped you from pulling the trigger in your office? Because you're so concerned of me inheriting all you've worked for? What you've killed for?"

"I am innocent of killing anyone!" he defended himself heatedly. "Though I wish I could say the same of you, son."

Lex casually reached over and opened the back door to the limo. "Your bags are already packed."

Lionel chuckled, not threatened by Lex's behavior. He took two steps away from the car when he felt a small pinch at the back of his neck. Thinking it was a bug he slapped at it, but found a small dart needle pricking his flesh. He stared disbelievingly at it for a few seconds.

He turned around with wide eyes to see Lex just as he had left him. He felt his heart rate slow down, his body felt suddenly cold. "Lex," he gasped, as the world turned on its side.

~

"What the hell'd you do, kill him?" Lucas asked, coming outside just as Lionel hit the pavement.

"No. Get him in the car and take him to the airport," he directed, walking towards his own car. "And be careful of what you say, he can still hear and understand everything."

"Where are you going?" Lucas asked, grabbing Lionel under his arms to drag him to the car.

"I have one more loose end to see to."

Lex jumped in his car and cut some woman off when he pulled out of the parking spot.

"Personally," he grumbled to Lionel. "The only thing different about him is that he lost his sense of humor, and it wasn't all that to begin with." Getting the prone body in the car, he shoved him over the seat to climb in himself and closed the door. "You made a big mistake by going after Chloe, Pops. But I guess you didn't know about that, huh? He snapped when he found out that you threatened her."

Lionel wished with all his being that the drug would wear off soon. He never touched Chloe! He hardly even threatened the girl! And as for her and Lex... 'Oh god.' He'd never thought that they might have had something between them.

'Then Lex didn't kill her! He wouldn't be capable of it if he had feelings for the girl! And I certainly didn't arrange it. Then who killed the Sullivans? Unless... she's still alive and Lex is hiding her until I die! This new attitude of his is just a facade to keep everyone at bay! Very good, Lex. But, once again son, not good enough.'

END 2/3

Gemkat5
25th April 2005, 15:51
ALL HEADERS AND DISCLAIMERS ARE IN CHAPTER ONE!!!!!

INTO THE DARKNESS ~ CHAPTER THREE

He quietly walked down the hall and slipped a piece of paper under the door. Stepping back, he waited patiently for the door to open. Checking his watch for the third time in two minutes, he finally heard the click from the other side.

"Lex!" she cried out, flinging herself into his arms, burying her face in the crook of his neck. "I've been so scared! Lucas won't tell me anything, and I can't use the computer when he's not here so he can't be traced for being in two places at one time! And he's hardly ever here!"

He half carried her into the flat, kicking the door closed with the heel of his foot, then placed her feet on the ground. "Everything's going as planned, Chloe," he reassured her. "Just be patient for a little longer."

"How's my dad?" she asked, loosening her hold on him to look up into his face. "Is he eating alright? Did he get my note? Does Lucas even bother sending anything?"

Lex stared down at her as she bombarded him with questions. With his arm still at her back, he pulled her in tighter and clamped his lips over hers, the best way he had found to shut her up when she got like this.

~

"You smell as though you've been with one of your cheap whores," Lionel instigated from the seat across from Lex on the private plane headed for Metropolis.

The drug had started to wear off just as they had reached the airport allowing him movement of his limbs though his voice hadn't returned until he was aboard. Lucas had made quick work of the situation, and had Lionel tied and gagged until Lex returned, freely admitting to the senior Luthor that he didn't trust him in the least.

Lex simply glanced at the man called his father, letting him know that he had heard him, then returned his gaze to his laptop.

"I know she's still alive," he stated in a stage whisper, trying to get some sort of reaction from Lex. "Lucas as much as admitted it while I was incapacitated."

Lex fixed cold and collected eyes at his father. "One more insinuation like that and this flight will become a re-enactment of my honeymoon." He coolly let his gaze slide from Lionel to his laptop.

"You're bluffing," Lionel smirked, convinced that Lex was behaving like this for his benefit. "You would never get away with such an outlandish feat after just taking me to trial."

After a few minutes of silence, however, Lionel wasn't so certain. The expression on his son's face remained stone cold, his eyes calculating and unconcerned as he dabbled with his notebook. Lex had never been able to remain as detached as that for any length of time, he had too much of his mother in him, vying with his emotions all the time.

"You're truly dead inside," Lionel whispered, the weight of his realization heavy in his voice.

Lex raised his head and bestowed him with a raised brow. "You're the one who killed me, why are you so surprised?"

~

"I assume your trusts have allowed you to live comfortably?" Lionel inquired, seating himself next to Lucas in the rear of the plane.

Lucas turned his knowing gaze to the billionaire, an amused smirk on his face. "Couldn't get any information from Lex, so you figured you'd try the younger brother?"

"He has completely gone insane, surely you can see that, Lucas!" he whispered, leaning closer to prevent Lex from hearing their conversation.

"The way I see it," he replied, leaning forward to be practically nose to nose with Lionel. "He's goin to be around a lot longer than you are. I change my alliances now, you die off, and I'm hung out to dry. No thanks."

"If we work together, we can leave him with nothing before its too late. You could be the sole heir to 'everything' if you join me to put a stop to his craziness."

"You're the one who's crazy if you think that losing everything will stop him. You've already stripped him of everything he's ever wanted. Personally, I've got my parachute under my seat." He sat back in his chair and turned his face towards the window.

Lionel leaned back in his seat and stared forward for a few minutes. "I had nothing to do with the Sullivans' accident," he whispered, refusing to give up on changing Lucas's mind. He was family. He was a Luthor. He was the only one who had the power to help him.

"Really?" Lucas sounded with skepticism. "And here I thought you ruined the man's career, seduced his daughter with a reporter's dream, only to take it away when she wouldn't kiss your ass. Chloe had stumbled across something about you that no one had ever found before, and you ended up in jail for it. Now tell me again you didn't have anything to do with their accident."

"It's the truth!" he stressed, feeling he could still turn the tables if he persisted. "I swear to you on your mother's grave!"

Lucas's eyes became cold as he met Lionel's gaze. "Right, because we both know how much 'she' meant to you." He stood suddenly, grabbing the parachute from under his seat, and stepped over Lionel into the aisle. "I wasn't kidding about the parachute." Shoving it sarcastically in Lionel's face before moving up the aisle to reseat himself behind Lex.

"How convinced is he?" Lex asked in a low voice, not giving any sign that he had spoken to his brother.

"He tried to grab my backpack," he replied just as covertly, though not successful at hiding his grin.

~

Lionel had moved again to sit across from Lex. He wasn't sure of what nagged at him, but there was something not right with Lex, besides his insane behavior. It was impossible for his son to remain so detached. His gaze, when briefly directed at his father, and often towards his brother too, was cold and emotionless. There was something more to what was going on and Lionel was determined to figure it out.

As he quietly observed his eldest son he noticed that Lex worked diligently with his laptop, seemingly unaware that he had Lionel's undivided attention. His movements were meticulous, almost mechanical, as he typed unhindered at the keyboard. After a few minutes of quiet observation, Lionel's eyes lit with realization and the comparison didn't sit well with him at all.

"Your birthday is soon approaching, son," Lionel started saying, putting his suspicion to the test. "I'm at a loss as to what to give you."

Lex's cold gaze slid from the screen to lock with Lionel's, a calculated thought could be seen flitter briefly in the blue orbs before his focus returned once more to his work. It had been enough to give growth to Lionel's suspicion.

"You're not my son," he stated with finality, dread flooded his being as it sunk in of what Lex had done.

Lucas, hearing the statement, sat up in his seat. He had to admit that Lionel was starting to make sense about something being wrong with his brother. Since they'd been on the plane he had ignored or avoided all attempts of conversation, except when he had initialized it himself and then it was short and to the point.

The cold sneer that formed on the heir's face sent chills up both Lionel and Lucas's spines. He closed the laptop and set it aside.

"Finally, I am able to continue with the plan."

"What plan?" Lucas questioned. "We've already followed the plan! The only thing left is to get Lionel back to Metropolis!"

"That was your plan," he stated, keeping his eyes locked with Lionel's. "Not Lex's plan."

"Who are you?" Lionel asked tight-lipped, then changed his choice of inquiry. "What are you?"

"I'm your son, Lex Luthor, but not the one born to you."

"What the fuck is he talking about?!" Lucas exclaimed, wishing he had listened to Lionel about Lex's insanity.

"This isn't Lex," Lionel explained. "I suspect that 'he' is somewhere with the very much alive Miss Sullivan. This... thing... before you is nothing more than a clone.

"A what?"

"Tell me if I am correct about the girl, Lucas. At least let me have peace of mind in that regard."

"'Your' peace of mind! What about 'my' peace of mind? I wasn't supposed to be the one dying today!"

"I tried to warn you," Lionel said casually. "You had all your eggs in one basket, Lucas, and now they're all going to break."

"You are one fucked up old man! How the hell can you be so god-damn self righteous at a time like this?!"

Disregarding Lucas's ranting, he turned his focus back to the clone. "Tell me, ...Lex," he began, finding it hard to address the thing by his son's name. "How did he stage their deaths?"

"We knew you would ask that," he replied simply with his emotionless stare. "Guardians such as myself were created for both Chloe and Gabe Sullivan."

"Guardians? Don't you mean guinea pigs?" Lionel dared to say.

If this clone was anything like Emily, then self preservation would still be an instinct.

"Yes, guardians. Our purpose is to protect our originals. If I die during my duty then another will be created to take my place. This is not a failure, this is what I was created to do."

"Holy shit!" Lucas exclaimed, falling back in his seat. "It's programmed like a fucking robot."

"Do you know what happened to the guardians' remains?"

"When destroyed by fire our bodies completely deteriorate into ash, leaving nothing to be traced."

"He's going to blow up the plane," Lucas stated, feeling numb and sick to his stomach. "With us dead, he'll return to Metropolis and step in as head executor for all things Luthor, and nothing will stop him."

"Are you a clone, too?" Lionel asked, though not sure why the question popped out of his mouth.

"Do I look like a fucking clone?!" Lucas shouted, allowing the panic to completely overwhelm him. "We're going to fucking die and all you can think about is how he fucking pulled it off! You're as insane as he is!"

Lionel sat back and let his head lean on the headrest. "No, Lucas, my son has truly become the monster." He said, coming to terms with his fate.

Unknown to the occupants of the plane, a digital timer reached it's last sixty seconds, triggering a green light to the bomb set beneath the fuel tanks.

Lucas frantically pushed and pulled at the emergency exit, slamming himself bodily against the steel door only to dislocate his shoulder in the process. "Dad! Do something!" he screamed, breaking the glass for the fire axe to smash one of the windows to the air compressed cabin.

Lex's clone sat still and silent in his seat, just as he had been instructed by his original while Lionel Luthor raised his champagne filled glass in a final toast.

"It took insanity to beat me, Alexander, but you proved to be the victor none the less."

Three... two... one... zero.

~

Chloe awoke to the sensation of butterfly kisses trailing down her back, a playful nip on her ass cheek made her giggle. Turning over she smiled lazily as Lex raised himself up to loom above her. Caressing the side of his smooth scalp with her thumb, she shifted under him, wrapping her legs around his hips.

"I could stay like this forever," she murmured, her body already responding to the feel of his, ready and probing.

"That can be arranged," he replied, his voice low and husky against the soft skin of her neck.

"Don't start lying to me now, Lex," she chuckled. "I might believe you."

"I mean it," he stated, pausing his attentions to look in her eyes intently.

"There's too much going on for that to be possible for us," she reasoned, running her finger idly over his eyebrow. "I can't hide forever, no matter how tempting it might be."

"Don't worry about what's going on out there. I'm here with you right now and that's all that matters to me at the moment."

"But what about Lionel," she fretted. "You know he won't stop until he's dead."

"Trust me, Chloe, nothing will happen to you, I promise."

He heatedly claimed her lips, making Chloe Sullivan forget all her problems for the time being.

The End

hfce
25th April 2005, 18:26
Oh what a twist. :eek: :shocked: I am glad Lionel is dead but why did Lucas meet his end? :puppydog:

Hope ;)

Gemkat5
25th April 2005, 19:04
Yeah, I can see that that's going to be the stumper, 'why Lucas?'

Lex is simply heading down that dark path in the fast lane. Nothing personal against Lucas, I love the shit out of him too, but that is how the muse wrote it out.

Also, there will be no sequel.

Thanks! Hope for the FB! :D

suspension of disbelief
26th April 2005, 03:14
dark indeed...

Krysia
26th April 2005, 05:11
:eek: Wow! This story is just ....wow! You really had me going with Lex going bad and being responsible for the explosion to kill Chloe and Gabe just so she would be dependant on him for "saving" her life. But then you switched everything around again in the second part and I didn't know what was up what was down again. But the ending....wow. I think I'm still in shock. I loved it! The whole idea of guardians, and killing both Lucas and Lionel. Wow! [ nice touch with Lionel giving a last toast to his son before he dies]

Are you positive on the no sequel decysion? Is there a posibility you could change your mind?

autumngold
26th April 2005, 06:37
Facinating story!! All I can say is Wow!! Oh, and poor Lucas!! I love how Lionel realizes everything before he dies!! Excellently written!!

starmoon
29th April 2005, 22:02
this story is very interesting. i love the chlex parts they are great.

darkangel
27th July 2005, 10:39
:eek!: this story was so ggod. i am glad that lex turned evil and killed off his relatives.
:evil: :devil:

Ami Rose
9th February 2013, 14:15
Amazing