PDA

View Full Version : Broken Sonnet Series - Part 3 - Debris - PG - 04/03/07

teejei
21st April 2005, 19:11
Broken Sonnet Series – Part 1 – Reality Bites

Rating: PG13...just to be safe
Pairing: Chlex, a little Chlark angst
Spoilers: Season4…but I don’t think I’ve given away any significant plots
Disclaimer: The title of this series came from Hale’s first single of the same title. And the movie Reality Bites is owned by its producers. None of the characters are mine, though to have Lex on eternal loan would be truly appreciated. *grin*
A/N: flashbacks, 'thoughts'

I’ve only read some spoilers and seen a few trailers. This’ll be slightly AU with some angst [coz I’m in such a rut], but I promise a v. good ending at the last part of the series.

This is my version of Season 4; the way certain events SHOULD have transpired…and because I’m absolutely revolted by the way the DOMOS used my favorite Maroon 5 song to allude to the Pink Princess-turned-Gothic Primadonna in "Gone". :mad:

~*~*~*~*~*~
Chloe had intended to get a headstart on the next Torch issue, but was sidetracked when her idle eyes settled on the Wall of Weird while she waited for the computer to boot up. Her notes for possible articles lay abandoned on the desk beside her as she slowly got up and walked over to the Wall. Of all the articles pinned on it, Chloe’s mind decided to focus on a particular section devoted to a particular event…and it’s not even directly meteor rock-related.

The trial and conviction of Lionel Luthor.

She had been a key witness to the trial, and also a key target of the elder Luthor’s ire. She had barely escaped his attempt on her life last summer, and she had Lex to thank for the sentries posted inside the rigged safehouse who pushed her down a tunnel towards her safety.

Lex.

Mr. Luthor, she shook her head as she corrected herself. No matter how much he insists on being addressed as Lex, the void he, knowingly or unknowingly, puts between himself and other people forces the latter to remain professional.

Chloe sighed and put her hands on her hips as she looked up at her collection.

‘What happened last summer?...What happened to us?’ She suddenly pulled a face, surprised at her own question.

‘Was there even an “us”?’ She scanned all the pictures, all the text displayed in front of her, hoping to find in them the answer that even the man in question can’t admit to knowing.

“What happened to us?” she whispered softly.

~*~*~*~*~*~
They were at it again with their usual banter that evening in the safehouse that Lex had secured from General Lane. They had just finished dinner and were retiring in the living room, still arguing whether or not the issues in the movie Reality Bites encompass and/or resolve her and future generations’ angst issues. Chloe had scoffed at Lex’s idea of angst already being passé, and retorted that it’s a critical factor in the decisions one makes in his life.

“Your issues define you as a person, and your personal angst can make or break your future,” she reasoned. “So how the heck can that be passé?”

Lex could only shake his head and smirk in her direction. He was surely in the mood for their verbal judo, but can’t seem to keep himself focused. Chloe’s grins and enthusiasm for the topic was getting distracting.

‘In a good way,’ he noted.

“If the angst cannot be passé, then it’s the heroine falling for the good guy,” he argued.

Chloe shook her head. “Honestly, Lex. Have you seen the end of this movie?”

“No.”

“Well, have you even seen it?” She paused. “The entire movie?”

“You make it sound like a crime, Ms. Sullivan.”

“No wonder your views were twisted,” she muttered. Lex raised an eyebrow.

“Well,” she explained, “in the end, she hooked up with the anti-hero. Things didn’t work out between her and the supposed good guy. They thought they were in the same wavelength, but it turned out that they’re worlds apart.” The look on her face was so earnest and her voice so passionate that Lex couldn’t help but wonder if she was alluding to her experience with Clark.

But with the smirk still in place and his eyes betraying none of his thoughts, Chloe remained oblivious as she carried on.

“Now the anti-hero, that’s the one she ends up with. ‘Anti’ doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the villain or he’s naturally evil. There were times that he ends up hurting her, but it’s usually his instinct for self-preservation that caused it. He hates feeling so vulnerable that his instinct tells him to lash out rather than risk getting hurt.”

Lex felt his chest tighten and he suddenly sat up, but the movement was so slight that Chloe didn’t even notice it.

‘Is she talking about me? Is that the way she sees me?...Too much, Lex. You’re reading too much into this. It’s just a movie…just a movie…’ Lex mentally berated himself.

“He comforted her when she lost her internship, made her smile, indulged her quirkiness. She matched his intelligence, challenged him in banter, put down and picked him up at the same time. They fought, they argued, kissed and made up, they could easily hang out, and they started as friends. They complemented each other,” she continued.

Lex simply nodded at the assertion, trying to hide the proverbial lightbulb that just clicked on above his head.

“So if given the choice between the two men, you’d pick this anti-hero over the good guy?”

“Well, yes, of course,” answered Chloe like it was common knowledge. “The good guy may be able to offer her a possibly stable future, but he tends to overcompensate. Too eager to please, too giving, too accommodating. Where’s the challenge in that?”

Lex found himself nodding again. ‘Just like me.’

‘Hold it! Where did THAT come from? Why am I comparing myself to Clark? And when did I become the good guy?’ he rebuked himself as these thoughts flitted quickly through his mind.

“So Clark is like your anti-hero, am I correct?” Lex mentally kicked himself, but he felt like he needed to sate his sudden curiosity. ‘I can’t believe I’m jumping to conclusions!’

Chloe was taken aback. Her eyes widened a bit and she let out a derisive snort.

“Yeah, right. And pink elephants will fly through that window any second now.” Chloe ran a hand through her hair. “Seriously, haven’t you been listening? Clark’s like the good guy who’s so simple that he won’t be able to keep up with the heroine’s complex issues. And he doesn’t even measure up to the anti-hero.”

“And would there be anyone in Smallville that might have this anti-hero complex you find so appealing?” he prodded. ‘Just for curiosity’s sake. Curiosity…curiosity…’

In less than 5 minutes, Chloe Sullivan had already been surprised twice by the same person, and this certainly didn’t sit well with her. She squirmed in her seat as she tried to answer as vaguely as she can while desperately thinking of a way to change the topic.

“I don’t think we’ll have the same ending as the onscreen couple. I don’t think he’s even interested in pursuing.”

But Lex was certainly interested…in the name of the clueless bastard, to say the least. ‘Even if my Clark-Lana matchmaking project is on indefinite hold, I might as well pull Chloe out of her Clark-funk.’

“And he does have a name, doesn’t he?” he urged.

Chloe shifted uncomfortably in her end of the couch. She didn’t expect this sudden turn in their argument, so caught off her guard by Lex’s curiosity.

“I don’t think it’ll make a difference if I tell you his name or not. Just a friendly acquaintance, and he’ll probably opt to be nothing more than that.” She tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear and kept her head down. Fidgeting hands could be so fascinating under such circumstances.

“Well, you said it yourself, Chloe. It won’t make a difference so just come out with it.” As he said those words, he felt a weird tinge of anticipation to her answer. He shook off that feeling and replaced the eager glint in his eyes with a huge smirk instead. “Who’s the lucky, albeit clueless, bastard?” he goaded.

Chloe took a deep breath and mumbled a name incoherently as she exhaled.

Lex leaned slightly closer to her. “Just a bit louder now, Ms. Sullivan. All of Smallville won’t be able to hear you, you know.” he sniggered.

Chloe snapped her head up and looked blankly back at him.

“Luthor.”

“What?”

“His name is Alexander Luthor.”

Lex suddenly stood up and begun pacing in front of the fire. “What?” He was inwardly shocked, though his voice and visage never betrayed this.

“Weird, I know. Welcome to Smallville,” she quipped.

He whirled around to face her. “Why?” His astonishment tainted the question before he can even filter it.

“You make it sound like a crime, Mr. Luthor,” she replied quietly.

Mr. Luthor. He knew that when Chloe Sullivan turned professional, it usually meant that she knew she had overstepped a boundary. He cringed at her “retreat” and felt his initial surprise change into irritation.

“Answer the question, Chloe,” he growled.

“Refer to above anti-hero argument, Mr. Luthor,” she spoke quietly, refusing to get riled up.

Lex knew what she was talking about. He ran his hands over his face and sat back down on the couch, although now significantly closer to her. He rested his elbows on his knees and stared ahead at the fire.

“Why me, Chloe?” he asked softly. “What happened to Clark?”

“I realized that I could only take so much rejection before finally letting go of an illusion that I had wished so hard to be real.” The bitterness that Lex expected to trace in her voice was nowhere to be found.

“I’ll only hurt you in the end.” His voice was tinged with finality. 'Of all the clichés that could come out of my mouth…'

“But I know you’ll try not to,” she countered two slow heartbeats later.

Lex twisted his head in Chloe’s direction. He tilted her chin up and looked deeply into her eyes, tried to search for secrets and truths that might still be hidden. But her expression was so open that he knew his search was futile.

Chloe held her breath as he slowly stroked the skin below the corner of her mouth, eyes trained on his finger’s movements. It was just a simple gesture, really. But in Lex and Chloe’s little world, nothing is ever simple; every touch, every sound, every emotion signified internal battles apart from the actual argument.

Through an ordinary observer’s eyes, he seemed to be wiping a smudge from her face. But Lex might as well be tracing the patterns that Clark’s rejections to Chloe had carved onto her heart. And Chloe might as well be surrendering to Lex the power to scratch at the scabs that never healed. Or worse, engrave his own mark, his own pattern of rejection.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding and leaned into Lex’s touch. This caused him to give her a penetrating look.

“I’ll never leave, Lex,” she whispered, as if to answer the unspoken questions his eyes asked hers.

Lex leaned over and closed the gap between them and brushed his lips against hers experimentally. Pulling back moments later, his eyes conveyed another message: ‘If I love you, I’d eventually destroy you.’

Chloe inched closer as she shook her head and stroked his cheek with the back of her fingers. She let them linger there as she answered, “Never.”

She took his slight nod as her cue to snake her hand to his nape. She gently tugged at his upper lip, the tip of her tongue tracing his scar. Lex sucked on her lower lip in return.

And as their tongues dueled, all the promises that need not be spoken poured onto the kiss. And all the reasons why they should stop what their hearts have already put in motion flew out of the window.

~*~*~*~*~*~
“We’re in this together, Chloe,” he had said before they drifted to sleep on the couch.

‘But where is he now?’ she thought bitterly. ‘Vying with Clark for Lana’s attention.’

Chloe glared accusingly at a smirking Lex on the cover of Forbes as she hugged herself tightly.

“Reality bites,” she grumbled as she stalked over to the Torch’s computer and concentrated on the next issue’s articles, dispelling all thoughts about last summer from her mind.

~*~*~*~*~*~
A/N2: This series idea was inspired by PMD's own AU How We Never Met Series. I just needed to stop my random ideas from just sloshing around in my mind, and start getting shared in this CHLEX-loving community. So now that I have released them, I'm hoping I could now get cracking on my major fic over at Angst.

To continue, or not to continue? Should I still post Part 2? The fate of this series is in your hands people so…

Feedback = Life. :wub:

Whenyoufall
21st April 2005, 19:45
Oh, I like this. Except for the whole mention of anything remotely resembling Lexana. {shudder} That can't be real right? Chloe's just misunderstanding things right? Right?!? Please? Anyway, loved it. Please continue.

hiddenangel
21st April 2005, 20:29
This is just great, you really need to continue. the way chlex interact is just great...lex better not be after lana, he better go after chloe and soon!

Hope to read more soon!!!!!!!

welshy
21st April 2005, 20:30
I like the start of this, but the lexana, no matter how small is still :wth: . I hope there's going to be more

suspension of disbelief
22nd April 2005, 01:47
do you even have to ask......good start...

campbti
22nd April 2005, 03:48
I really liked it. Please continue. The idea of him vying for Lana's attention makes my stomach hurt. You did such a beautiful job of getting them together, now you must bring them back again...

star del mar
22nd April 2005, 03:54
That was some great writing...I haven't seen that movie in years but I remember the premise enough to know that you did a really good job of explaining it all and intertwining Chloe and Lex's story. It was great, I really loved it...I hope you update soon!!

Steph*

hfce
22nd April 2005, 06:47
Please continue and please no Lexana. ;)

autumngold
23rd April 2005, 01:18
I feel so bad for Chloe, being in love with Lex must hurt so much!! Please, please continue this story!! I really want Chloe, and her anti-hero, to have a happy ending!! :)

lexchloe
23rd April 2005, 01:56
CONTINUE CONTINUE CONTINUE!!!!!!!! *ahem* Nice start, please give us more.

teejei
23rd April 2005, 09:51
everybody:

---sorry for the Lexana. Really, I am! But I needed some plot points from the TV series itself. I'm disgusted with Lexana as much as you are. But I swear by all my reputation points [which i treasure, btw, so keep on adding to them, kay? :D] that it'll be a CHLEX ending. Chloe's true worth to Lex will come out, and Lana would be left eating dust.

Whenyoufall:
---Um. Well. You just have to see. So watch out for Part2. :grin3:

hiddenangel:
---yes!. CHLEX ending all the way baby!

welshy:
---thanks! there will be more, but i'll try to cut down on the Lexana. :blinkkiss

suspension of disbelief:
---just have to make sure you guys are into it. :D

campbti:
---i hope your stomach's okay now. :) and yes, they will be back together.

Steph:
---you saw the movie too?! yey! you think i did a good job of explaining and intertwining? aw, shucks. thanks! :o

Hope:
---I'll try to cut down on the Lexana. :)

autumngold:
---oh, Chloe will have her anti-hero in the end...I just hope I do them and the movie some justice.

lexchloe:
---more to come this week! i just hope my beta would be merciful. *paging Peggy* hee! :grin:

Addie
23rd April 2005, 22:44
That was great- more soon please.

teejei
23rd April 2005, 23:02
everybody:
---will be sending Part2 to my beta today. just watch out next week for the new thread. :D

kellykam:
---oh, wow. you're the first one to quote me! :ecstatic:

and you also gave me rep points?! :ecstatic: :ecstatic:

thank you thank you thank you!!! :hug:

addie:
---thank you! part2 will be up this week. :)

PMD
24th April 2005, 05:06
Teejei:

Sweetie. OMG---yeah, Chlex will be alive and well later on---if the two stubbornest people allow it to be---I have faith in you and Chlex. :) Lexana? Oh yeah, that bit---I think I blanked it out---as I used to on the show, even if it was friendship---ewwwww.

Continue, sweetie. :) Oh man, the descriptions alone brought tears to my eyes. :) If I had to figure out quotes, I'd be quoting the whole thing. And awwww----I'm glad I could inspire you, sweetie. :) You're making me very happy tonight---now, off to write VM and get my sequel up for A Queen without her King.

Augustine86
24th April 2005, 05:51
If Feedback = Life then teejei = immortal.

I can't believe you are not up to the roof with reviews. It was fantastic, I loved it. And the part I love the most is that it has a sequel quarantee. What could be more appealing than that?

teejei
24th April 2005, 13:30
PMD:
---omg! you really stopped by my fic. *hee* :o again, sorry for the Lexana. i promise it's only for the plot. i haven't gone split personality and suddenly adore the Pink-Princess-turned-Gothic-Primadonna. :D and, really now..your happy Chlex fics brought out the happy muse in me. i always went for dark, angsty fics..but you got me craving some happy, romantic fics, too! watch out for Part2 in your email, kay? :D

Augustine86:
---let's just say i'm straining to contain my excitement here. :grin: sequel will probably posted on monday or tuesday night. now, there's your guarantee! :D

PMD
24th April 2005, 16:27
teejei:

Oh, sweetie, if I could write like you and some of the others on this site, well, I think we should all get a bus and go to Vancouver, don't you. :) Seriously though, I think the Lexana (or Peepex as some call it) is just a plot point for the show too. Which makes it a little easier to handle---that and not watching them on the screen together.

Wow, long name for her there. You guys, so inventive for names. <g>

teejei
27th April 2005, 05:46
Broken Sonnet Series - Part 2 - I Bruise Easily

Rating: PG13---just to be safe

Pairing: Chlex, Chlark friendship

Spoilers: Season4 - a bit of Pariah, but mostly Onyx

Disclaimer: The title of this series came from Hale's first single of the same title. The title of this part came from Natasha Bedingfield's song of the same title. None of the characters are mine, though to have Lex on eternal loan would be truly appreciated. *grin*

A/N: flashbacks, 'thoughts'

First off, a huge 'Thank you!' to my beta, PMD. I had no idea how this part turned out, and I was relieved that you found my concept novel. :love2:

And thanks too to becky for introducing I Bruise Easily through her Chlex video. If I haven't given any FB on it yet, I'm on my way. :D

This'll be slightly AU with angst [coz I'm in such a rut], but I promise a v. good ending at the last part of the series.

This is my version of Season 4; the way certain events SHOULD have transpired---and because I'm absolutely revolted by the way the DOMOS used my favorite Maroon 5 song to allude to the Pink Princess-turned-Gothic Primadonna in "Gone". :mad:

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex. Lionel. And now, Alexander.

'What is it with me and these Luthors?' thought Chloe, as she pulled herself closer to the Kent's kitchen counter and held the ice pack to her cheek.

After yet another attempt on her life, this time in the LuthorCorp lab, Chloe wondered what she must've done to deserve her twisted kind of fate. 'I am so out of here after graduation. I'd rather hunt down Metropolis crime lords than deal with meteor freaks.'

"You ok down there, Chloe?" asked Clark, as he bounded down the stairs.

"I've had worse," she quipped.

"Well, we always bounce back, right?" chuckled Clark, as he lightly stroked Chloe's un-bruised cheek.

"Yep. Coming back better than before," said Chloe, as she smiled as much as her cheeks would let her.

Clark pulled off his farmboy grin as he settled on a barstool across from Chloe.

Given any other day, Chloe would've been swooning. But things were different now. Instead, the warmth of friendship was what she felt emanate from Clark's actions.

She had accepted the fact that Clark would only be her best friend, and so, moved on to greener pastures. Unfortunately, greener didn't necessarily mean better. Her heart was still with that someone who hadn't had the decency to return it. But she was already getting ahead of herself.

Chloe tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

"By the way---" she caught Clark's eye, "---thanks for saving me. I never knew you'd also be strong enough to break through concrete," she added nonchalantly and gauged Clark's reaction.

Clark's eyes widened comically. "Well, you see…the thing is---hey, I thought you were unconscious!" he stammered.

Chloe patted Clark's hand on the counter. "It's ok, Clark."

"But, how? And what do you mean 'also'? You've seen me before?" he basically panicked.

"Whoa, ease up on the inquisition! Alicia and I were hidden among some barrels and equipment, and we saw you stop her car," Chloe explained calmly.

Clark gaped at her. "She never mentioned that. And neither did you."

"I was waiting for you to tell me yourself."

Clark sighed. "Mom and Dad were afraid that if I got caught, I'd be sent to a lab to be poked and prodded."

"Well, count me in on the secret, Clark. I've never told anybody about what I saw. I didn't even write about it. And I promise I never will. Unless you permit me to."

Clark let out the breath he didn't know he'd been holding. It blew directly into Chloe and whipped her hair around.

"Geez, Clark! I know you use mint toothpaste, but the Arctic winds?!" she said, combing her hands through her hair.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"Brush more often, Kent. With breath like yours, we'd have a summer breeze!" she said delightedly.

Chloe hopped off her barstool and put on her jacket. "Well, I'm just gonna stop by the Talon before heading home. Attempts on my life significantly decrease my body's caffeine levels."

Clark rolled his eyes and ruffled her hair as they walked towards the door. "You sure you'll be ok?"

"Is Lex back in one piece?" she bantered.

"Chloe," growled Clark.

Chloe can't help but laugh at his face. "See you around school, Clark."

She waved back at him as she ambled over to her car.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Clark?"

He looked up from the astronomy book he'd been reading. "Lex."

"I thought I'd find you up here."

Lex climbed the remaining steps to Clark's loft and headed for the barn window. He leaned on the sill and shoved his hands into his pants' pockets.

Clark patiently waited on his couch for Lex to speak up again.

Lex cleared his throat.

"I just came over to apologize for---" he trailed off.

He ran a hand over his head and let it rest on his nape. He took a deep breath and slowly exhaled.

"For everything. Everything that Alexander said and did. I really am willing to deal with the repercussions, and I hope that our friendship wasn't affected negatively."

Clark sighed and set his book aside. He rested his elbows on his knees and clasped his hands.

"Honestly, Lex, I don't know what to say."

"Say whatever is on your mind, Clark. Really, it's all right. I find his actions inexcusable myself!"

Clark got up from the couch and joined Lex at the window.

"I understand how it is to have a part of you that you always have to control. You've seen me at my worst; every action influenced by that part, justified or not, will still remain inexcusable."

Lex nodded for Clark to go on. He didn't exactly know what his evil half had done, but judging from Clark's stern glare, he knew he deserved this chastisement.

"You speak of Alexander like he's a separate being with a mind and personality of his own. Lex, he's a part of you. You can hide him, suppress him, but he'll always be there."

Clark took a deep breath. "Though it has given me a preview of what you're capable of when he is in control---" he exhaled, "---I haven't given up on you. Our friendship still stands. But---"

Lex closed his eyes and bowed his head like a condemned man at the guillotine.

"---I don't know how this affected your father, Lana, and especially Chloe. They're the ones you should be apologizing to," Clark continued.

Lex pushed off from the sill and held out his hand. "Thank you, Clark."

Clark shook his hand and turned to look at the constellation he'd been reading about through his telescope.

As he sensed that Lex had just stepped down to the second landing, he blurted out, "Chloe's at the Talon."

Lex's footsteps abruptly stopped.

He looked back up at Clark. "What?"

"Chloe's at the Talon."

Clark finally abandoned the telescope and walked over to the stairs' banister.

"She told me she'd stop there for coffee before heading back to her apartment."

Lex narrowed his eyes. "Why are you telling me this, Clark?"

Clark shrugged. "I just thought you'd want to catch up with her before it's too late."

Lex tilted his head and contemplated what Clark had just implied.

"Any more last-minute pointers for me?"

"Talk to her."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe took a deep breath as she stepped into the Talon. She headed straight for the counter and ordered.

"Hey, Peggy. Just the house blend for tonight, black."

"Oooh, pretty hard-core, even for you Chloe," Peggy smiled as she poured the coffee.

Chloe managed a weak smile and thanked her as she cradled the hot cup in her hands and walked over to her usual corner booth. It was a pretty quiet night in the Talon with only 3 other customers hunched over their books.

"Hey, Peggy," Chloe called out and motioned for her to come over.

"Yeah?" Peggy asked as she drew nearer.

"Pretty quiet in here, don't you think?"

Peggy just smirked. "Got a request from the play list?"

"Whatever you got for a lonely, broken girl."

"Hmm---I think we have just the one for you," Peggy replied. "Pete just sent in his acoustic mix CD for the Talon."

She walked over to the booth and pressed the number of the song she wanted.

Chloe settled back against the plush cushions of her booth as the opening chords of the song filled the Talon. 'Gotta hand it to Pete. That boy sure knows how to mix.' She soon found herself bobbing her head to the beat.

"Beauty queen of only 18

She had some trouble with herself

He was always there to help her

She always belonged to someone else"

Chloe raised an eyebrow and gave Peggy a look that said, 'You have got to be kidding me.'

Peggy simply waved off Chloe's reaction and pointed to her ear as if to say, 'Just listen to it.'

"It will get better," she mouthed to the glowering blond.

Chloe sipped her coffee without removing her glare from Peggy. 'I'm no beauty queen, and I certainly haven't been with anybody worth being jealous of. Maybe I should go over there and smack that grin off Peggy's face,' she thought.

And as the song proceeded to its second stanza, the Talon's chimes sounded and announced its new customer. Its only bald customer.

"I drove for miles and miles

And wound up at your door

I've had you so many times

But somehow I want more"

"Ladies, Lex Luthor has entered the building."

Chloe jumped in her seat and turned towards the voice. She narrowed her eyes at the girl that now hovered over her, looking so mesmerized that Chloe worried for the coffee pot almost dangling in the girl's hand.

"Peggy!" she whispered sharply.

"What?" said Peggy innocently, reinforcing her grip on the pot's handle. "God, he is gorgeous, don't you think?" her eyes twinkled mischievously.

Chloe rolled her eyes and held up her cup for another refill. "Better get back to your station before he starts wondering why he hired you."

'What is he doing here?' Chloe wondered. ' Besides checking on his establishment, of course.'

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex tapped his fingers to the beat as he waited for a waitress to approach the counter. He was so caught up in his thoughts that he slightly flinched at the sound of a voice.

"Your usual, Mr. Luthor?" Peggy greeted.

"Um, no thanks---Peggy," he paused as he peered at her nametag. "Is Lana upstairs?"

"Yes, sir. She just came back from the grocery," she replied.

"Thank you."

Lex then made his way around the counter and towards the stairs that led to the apartment above the Talon. As he rounded the counter, he caught a glimpse of blond hair poking through intertwined fingers. 'So Clark was right. She did stop by.'

Lex was already on the first step when he stopped and looked over his shoulder to Chloe's booth. 'She's here---but why does she look so defeated?'

He furrowed his eyebrows, bothered as to why he suddenly cared to know. He huffed, turned back, and made it to the top of the stairs. As he raised his fist to knock on the door, he got this sinking feeling in his stomach.

'What am I going to say to Lana? I don't even know what Alexander did to her.'

He unclenched and clenched his fist, confused as to why he can't make his knuckles come in contact with the door. He glanced back down to Chloe.

'Talk to her,' Clark's words echoed in his mind.

He turned around, called out, "I'll have my usual, Peggy," and marched down the stairs.

"Here you go, Mr. Luthor," Peggy immediately handed him a steaming cup.

"Thank you," said Lex with a puzzled look. 'That was fast. How---perceptive of her.'

"I don't mind spending everyday

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

Ask her if she wants to stay a while"

Lex took the cup and strode over to Chloe's booth, surprised at his own urgency to get there. There was something about Chloe's pose that tightened his chest, quickened his heartbeat, and pulled him faster in her direction all at the same time.

'Heart attack. Going to. Faint. Must. Not. Faint!' his mind raced.

When he got to the table, he cleared his throat and set his cup down audibly. Chloe jerked her head up; weary green eyes stared back into stormy blue ones.

'Yes. Faint. Now!' his mind compelled.

"Miss Sullivan," he breathed out.

"And she will be loved
And she will be loved"

1/3

A/N2: Ok, people. This part is going to be the longest in the whole series. The second installment’s coming soon…maybe in a couple of hours? Or tomorrow? *hee* :D

Feedback = Life

suspension of disbelief
27th April 2005, 06:01
i'll be waiting.......

suspension of disbelief
27th April 2005, 06:02
holding my breath for the update...you said couple of hours right?

hfce
27th April 2005, 06:02
Thank you that was great. I can't wait for the last part.

Hope :)

Whenyoufall
27th April 2005, 08:08
Can't wait for the update.

autumngold
27th April 2005, 08:18
Incredible story!! Can't wait for the update!! Thank you for not having Lex go see Lana first!!

Krysia
27th April 2005, 08:26

When he got to the table, he cleared his throat and set his cup down audibly. Chloe jerked her head up; weary green eyes stared back into stormy blue ones.

'Yes. Faint. Now!' his mind compelled.

"Miss Sullivan," he breathed out.

This just cracked me up.
I adore the song and I like how you used it in this fic. Can't wait for more.

PMD
27th April 2005, 09:08
Well, teejei---you know how I feel about this piece. After the night I've had over in another fandom, I reread this and I really needed it. :) Thanks, sweetie. And than you for allowing a humble beta like me to beta it. I'm really having fun. Maybe I should stop writing and just do this--kidding, I was kidding. :) Bravo, Bravo. :)

Gaia
27th April 2005, 18:42
Great start..really well done.
:)

lexchloe
27th April 2005, 18:55
Loved it. THe Chlark was nice, the Clex was good and the impending Chlex was great. Hee Pete and 'She will be loved' . Kinda makes me hate the song less now if it's associated with Chloe.

Lex took the cup and strode over to Chloe's booth, surprised at his own urgency to get there. There was something about Chloe's pose that tightened his chest, quickened his heartbeat, and pulled him faster in her direction all at the same time.

:wub: :wub: Love this. Eagerly awaiting the next part.

bluengreenswmer
28th April 2005, 03:54
Love this. Eagerly awaiting the next part.

I second that.

teejei
28th April 2005, 18:40
suspension of disbelief:
---please don't hold your breath too long! my conscience would never let me rest if a Chlexer drops dead from waiting and asphyxiation. :(

Hope, Whenyoufall, Gaia and bluegreenswmer:
---thanks guys! :o next one will be up as soon as my beta finishes going over it. :D

autumngold:
---*hee* i never wanted Lex to speak to Lana. how the show's writers overlook Chloe is way, way beyond me. thanks for the rep points, too! :love2:

Krysia:
---i crack myself up, too! hehe. glad you liked that part. :D

lexchloe:
---well, that was the point of this whole series [as you can see in my A/N]. the DOMOS had desecrated my Maroon 5 song. they must pay! :devil:

hiddenangel
28th April 2005, 21:44
Another great chapter...update soon!!

Cant wait to see what lex says!!

teejei
29th April 2005, 00:06
A/N: Here you go people! As promised, this is 2/3 of I Bruise Easily

Disclaimers in 1/3

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe ducked her head as soon as she saw Lex round the counter and start up the stairs. She couldn't stand the irony of the song's lyrics.

'I'd love the song if only it didn't speak so much about me. Lonely, broken girl, indeed! I'm gonna smack Peggy---as soon as I hear Lex close Lana's door.'

As the song's chorus peaked, Chloe heard someone clear his throat.

'Great. Peggy saved me the hassle of storming over and wringing her neck at the counter.'

She jerked her head up as soon as she heard that someone bang something down on her table. The overhead lights affected her sight for a moment as she tried to focus.

"Miss Sullivan."

Chloe gulped. Only one man could say her name and make her swoon and get riled up at the same time.

"Lex," she said automatically.

Realizing her faux pas, she amended, "I mean, Mr. Luthor."

Chloe faced Lex but wouldn't meet his eyes.

Lex inwardly flinched at the formality, but simply nodded and sat down on the chair opposite Chloe.

'She's professional---again,' he thought as a familiar scene flashed in his mind of them bantering about a movie last summer.

"Tap on my window

Knock on my door

I want to make you feel beautiful"

As he took in the cuts and developing bruises on her cheeks, he can't help but be disgusted with himself. 'How could I have done this to her?'

Lex gestured to her face, "You should put some ice on those bruises." Scars. More scars.

Chloe bobbed her head, "I did---I will---yeah, sure."

And continued to do so as if it would delay the inevitable questions.

Lex took a sip of his coffee and drummed his fingers on the table; his own version of stalling.

"So---um---how are you feeling?" said Chloe, finally breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"I'm all right. Back in one piece."

Chloe didn't seem notice as she went back to her head-bobbing and looked away, pursing her lips.

"So you are," she replied softly.

Lex got tired of beating around the bush. He rested his elbow on the table and leaned over.

"I'm sorry, Chloe---for whatever Alexander---"

Chloe whipped her head back and glared at him as he mentioned Alexander.

"Are you sure?" she asked quietly, but her eyes told a different story. They brimmed with angry tears.

"I know I tend to get so insecure

Doesn't matter anymore"

Lex swallowed hard. Her attack was so subtle; it felt like an invisible rapier had swiped at his throat. He was ready to take on a Chloe in full rant-mode. He had been expecting an outburst, a snarl, anything, goddamit! He'd rather take on a dozen Lana-loving meteor freaks than face off with this side of Chloe.

Chloe took his hesitation as her answer. "I thought so."

She wearily stood up, both hands on the table to support her. As she moved to slide out of the booth, Lex slammed his hands on top of hers.

"No---" he looked up at Chloe, "I mean, yes. Yes, I am. Hear me out."

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies

It's compromise that moves us along"

Chloe yanked her hands from under Lex's and squared her shoulders as she sat down again.

"Explain," she muttered.

A wave of relief passed over Lex's eyes as he took a deep breath.

"I'm not going to make excuses or give reasons to justify my actions," he started.

"Your actions or Alexander's?" Chloe interjected.

His heart skipped a beat. 'Did I just say *my* actions? Yes. Right. My actions.'

"My heart is full and my door's always open

You come anytime you want"

Lex had paused, but not a moment too long. "Yes, my actions."

"So, you *prevented* Dr. Sinclair from reuniting the Lex and Alexander."

"Yes, but---"

"You arranged for a hydraulic chamber to fall and collapse on Clark and me, and pushed the button yourself," she interjected.

"Yes, Chloe," said Lex, fighting back a smirk.

This was the Chloe he was used to. This was the Chloe he enjoyed bantering with.

Though Chloe didn't notice the slight twitch of Lex's lips, she disappointed him nonetheless as she relaxed back in the booth and crossed her arms.

"I thought I knew you."

'This is getting out of hand. Must steer back to my point.'

Lex set his jaw. "Alexander is not the real me, Chloe. I wouldn't have pushed for those plans to proceed. You know me."

"Those *plans* needn't have pushed through. The mere fact that the thought crossed your mind and that you entertained it proves that Alexander has a firm, if not stronger, grip on your consciousness than Lex has," she argued. "How can you be sure that Alexander won't do an encore performance in the future?"

"Because I won't allow him to." he insisted. "Chloe, don't give up on me yet."

"I don't mind spending every day

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

"I'm past giving up, Lex. I just don't want to care anymore," replied Chloe wearily.

"Why must I always prove myself to you?" Lex suddenly lashed out.

"Why do you try so hard?" replied Chloe, unfazed by Lex's outburst.

"I just---," Lex sighed, "Chloe, stop shutting me out."

Chloe narrowed her eyes.

"Shutting you out?!" she hissed. "I testified against your father. I sacrificed my life to help you bring him down. I almost got killed. My father had to relocate to Grandville where he still can't find a decent 9-5 job. I recently helped you avoid a murder conviction," Chloe enumerated on her fingers.

"Now you're telling me to stop shutting you out?! You ignored me right after your father started sharing a bunk bed!" she spat out.

"Chloe---," Lex started.

"If you think that's the *Thank you* I deserved, then to hell with you!"

"And she will be loved

And she will be loved"

Chloe quickly slid out of the booth and bolted for the door, taking advantage of Lex's delayed reaction.

"Thanks, Peggy," she muttered as she passed the counter.

"Anytime, Chloe," Peggy replied softly.

'He obviously cares,' she thought. She had seen the drama unfold between Chloe and Lex. 'Please listen to him.'

"Dammit!" Lex cursed as he stood up and hurried after Chloe.

Chloe jogged to her car and rummaged for her keys in her purse.

"Shit!" she exclaimed when she couldn't find them.

Lex caught up with her and whirled her around to face him. "Chloe, wait---"

Chloe angrily waved away his hands.

"Chloe, stop it! Listen to me!" he snapped.

"Go. Away. Lex! I don't care anymore!" she yelled, still fighting off his hands.

At last, Lex secured his grip on her wrists, pulled her flush against his body and embraced her, trapping her arms between their chests. He pressed his forehead onto hers and nudged her head up. He felt her breath on the tip of his nose, their lips only millimeters apart.

"And she will be loved

And she will be loved"

"What are you doing?" she asked through gritted teeth. "Why talk to me now? After all those---"

"How could you not care anymore?" he butted in.

"Let me go, Lex."

"Answer me, Chloe!" a hint of desperation in Lex's voice. He was losing control, but he didn't give a damn anymore.

Chloe struggled and beat her fists on his chest. But this only made Lex hug her tighter.

"I know where you hide, alone in your car

Know all of the things that make you who you are"

"I'm not Alexander," Lex whispered as he closed his eyes. "I'm not Alexander," he chanted, silently wishing this would convince her.

Chloe opened her fists and let her fingers graze Lex's cheeks, planning to scratch if given the slightest provocation.

Lex opened his eyes as soon as he felt her touch.

"I'm Lex," he said, loosening his hold just a bit.

"Your Lex," he said huskily.

Chloe's breath hitched. "I don't think I ever had you!" she choked out.

Lex felt his jaw drop, as well as his hands from her back. Chloe stepped away, still keeping her arms glued to her chest.

"How could you say that? What about last summer?"

"You should ask yourself that first, Lex."

Chloe dug into her purse and finally fished out her keys. She glared at them before jamming the right key into the lock.

"Find me when you figure out why you ignored me for almost a year."

She was about to step in when she turned back to Lex. "You know what, scratch that. Just answer it for yourself. Let's just say that---," Chloe grinned evilly, "---Lana's story was really enlightening."

She simply laughed as Lex gaped at her. "Oh, don't look so horrified Lex."

She got in, started her car and shifted to first gear.

"If you think you were ever 'my Lex'," she sneered, "then you officially stopped being mine when you kissed Lana."

"I what?!" he cried out.

"Embrace your destiny, Alexander," she called out as she sped away and left a stunned Lex at the parking lot.

2/3

A/N2: Sorry for the cliffhanger!

Feedback = Life

Krysia
29th April 2005, 00:56
I liked the ending. I can just see Lex standing there crushed with his mouth hanging open. Good for Chloe she should be lashing out, he ignored her after the summer then kinda kissed Lana. LANA! Of course i still hope for a happy Chlexy ending. After some beging on Lexes part for example.
:devil:Great chapter

PMD
29th April 2005, 01:57
Hey Teejei:

You know, when I read the ending,well, first I thought---Thank God I didn't watch the eppy. : ) Then all I could think was---you got guts, girl. And I have faith that all will come out well. Remember, guys, the best endings come from angst. :)

Tee, hope I didn't hit you too hard up the head, sweetie. If I did, I apologize and I offer compensation in a story I did for a good friend a while ago, in regards to Helen and where she ended up in.

teejei
29th April 2005, 21:33
hah! i knew it!

nobody liked the ending of 2/3 that's why there are no more feedback/comments.

it's ok. i'd be pissed myself if i read this. :(

back to the drawing board. :nono:

bluengreenswmer
29th April 2005, 22:04
Feedback = Life

Updates = Life

teejei
29th April 2005, 22:11
3/3 is still being polished.

*fighting back urge to skip confrontation/begging and plunge right into reconciliation make-out session...or even :hankpank:, for godssakes! if only i could pull it off...*

Lex still needs to prove himself. *sigh*

but really now, tell me...was 2/3 ok? kinda not sure if i did this right, though.

starmoon
29th April 2005, 23:45
that is so sad please make a sequel where lex is sorry and makes it up to chloe and they live happly together.

starmoon
30th April 2005, 00:12
more please make a sequel or something.

PMD
30th April 2005, 01:40
Teejei:

Come on---big group hug for our fellow writer here. {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}
Honey, you just shocked us into submission a bit. Me, kinda what WTF the first time I read it but I know it's going to have a happy ending---right? :)

bunnylyn33
30th April 2005, 05:28
Oh come on complete this, this is fantastic!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the next part

hiddenangel
1st May 2005, 00:44
Need More!!

Poor Chloe
Lana's been a bitch hasnt she?
Lex never kissed her!!

Loved it!!
Need More!!

hfce
1st May 2005, 04:08
That part 2 was good but heartbreaking. Please make it up in part 3. :(

Hope :beg:

star del mar
1st May 2005, 07:03
oh, well that's not cool. I need more!! This is an awesome series that you have going here, I can't seem to get enough :) Please update soon!!

Steph*

PMD
1st May 2005, 07:49
Yeah, Tee---when are you going to send me part three to beta, sweetie. :: tapping my foot ::

It's okay---take your time---I can hardly wait though. And while I'm waiting, Weevil is having fun with Veronica---so he's kinda happy, considering he's a character on a show. <g>

welshy
7th May 2005, 19:30
This is brilliant, I can even deal with the icky lexana lol I hope there's going to be more

Whenyoufall
7th May 2005, 19:57
{Sigh} Chlex interaction. So wonderful. Need more soon. Please.

teejei
14th May 2005, 14:06
i just arrived here in the US 2weeks ago...and horror of horrors, my mom doesn't have an internet connection! *thud* her pc's so 7 years ago, i cringe at the uber-large icons. it's only now that i'm in las vegas that i got over my internet craving. but there's another problem...[i just got back and i hit you all with bad news...i'm so dead meat to you guys. :omg:]...this has got to be the slowest connection i'll ever encounter...2 minutes of waiting for a page to load?! authorities should revoke the operating license of my grandmother's service provider! *sheesh* :damncomp:

now on to the GOOD NEWS! :clapclap:

the 3/3 of this part is already finished. i did nothing else on the flight from Manila to Nagoya to Detroit and, finally, to Newark. that's one whole day of writing and brainstorming, people! [interspersed with coffee and nicotine breaks of course. :D]

just need to upgrade to a laptop in New Jersey [that's where my mom lives], install my hard drive [yes, i brought it over from Manila. i just can't part with my Chlex fics and pics], get a dsl connection going, and this part will be updated and done. then i'll go back to brainstorming for ideas for parts 3-6.

all in all, that'll take me around...1-1 1/2 more months.

:shocked:

i'm so so so sorry! :( my mom put me on a "spree" for an additional 2weeks, state-hopping to visit relatives. the upside to that is she won't be nagging me, i get to travel alone, and i get to meet up with my highschool buddies who migrated before me.

*sigh* i will share in everyone's pain. internet connection ain't sure in the places i'll be heading off to, and my cellphone ain't WiFi-capable. :nono:

just...keep the faith, people. don't give up on me yet. there is more to come. this is not the end.

and now i'll stop with the cliches. :o

welshy
21st June 2005, 21:14
More please :puppydog:

teejei
23rd June 2005, 00:56
*whew* finally got a new PC and my DSL connection running. also installed my old hard drive with all the Chlex fics i have acquired and all my WIPs too. now it's all a matter of cut-and-paste to and from the 2 hard drives, sending my draft to PMD, and then...BAM! it'll be posted by the end of the week. :D

or by Monday, at the latest. :o

no more excuses now. the guilt trip of giving FB to my fave authors and clamoring for updates is taking a toll on me. this series is my fic-baby, and dammit, i have an obligation to it! no, i'm not doing this grudgingly; but if this fic was a person, i'd be so ashamed of myself that i wouldn't be able to look it in the eyes. :nono:

ETA: i'm moving the post deadline to Tuesday. my fault for turning it in this late to my beta. but i promise y'all, there will be an update before this month ends! :P

leik2
24th June 2005, 10:19
Thank you for injecting the angst the show was lacking on the Chloe front.

Baily007
24th June 2005, 14:45
Ok, I just got here today, so I at least had two chapters to read in a row. But even that's just not enough. PLEASE, you NEED to update as soon as possible!

PMD
26th June 2005, 12:30
Well, don't blame Teejei for the Tuesday posting---and yes, it will be happening before the end of this month---blame the beta (me). But it will be coming out real soon--yeah, sweetie. Decided to beat my muse off with a little stick and get to it first thing Sunday. She doesn't look to happy but I told her this was more important at the moment and she agreed. :) Sometimes you just have to deal with the muse, while making it look like you're the boss---when are we really? <g> So, off for a little nap and then---to the story. :)

teejei
26th June 2005, 22:14
Decided to beat my muse off with a little stick and get to it first thing Sunday. She doesn't look to happy but I told her this was more important at the moment and she agreed. :) Sometimes you just have to deal with the muse, while making it look like you're the boss---when are we really? <g> So, off for a little nap and then---to the story. :):worship: thank you thank you thank you! :worship:

dearest Muse of PMD: thanks for agreeing with her. :love2: i promise to make it up with lots and lots of feedback for future Chlex fics you will inspire her to write. okay? :blinkkiss

so...get ready people! i now have the beta-ed version at hand! *wheeeee!* a little tinkering and i'll be posting it in a few hours. :D

Louise
26th June 2005, 22:56
Well *huffs*, someone might have pointed me in the direction of this fic sooner, what with it being so good and all ;) On the bright side, I only have to wait a couple of an hours for an update, squee!

It's good to read a fic where the fact that Lex tried to squish Chloe with a big metal object (*imagines Lana's eulogy - "everyone I love abandons me by getting squashed flat as a pancake. Hmmm. Pancakes. You, male Smallvillian, go make me breakfast."*) is actually addressed. Although in a sense, I'd prefer it if he actively *disliked* her during season 4, the casual disinterest just doesn't make sense after the-summer-that-dare-not-speak-its-name, so I'm glad your Chloe is appropriately pissed about it.

I've really enjoyed this so far, and I can't wait for the update, after which I shall review more thoroughly :)

PS teejei I tried to get in a fluffy frame of mind, but the glorious angst in your fic corrupted me, so I'm going to blame you entirely for the angst in my next update ;)

PMD
26th June 2005, 23:02
Awwww---Muse says you're welcome, sweetie. Now can she go back to helping me write stories? :)

teejei
26th June 2005, 23:53
Well *huffs*, someone might have pointed me in the direction of this fic sooner, what with it being so good and all ;) On the bright side, I only have to wait a couple of an hours for an update, squee!

It's good to read a fic where the fact that Lex tried to squish Chloe with a big metal object is actually addressed. Although in a sense, I'd prefer it if he actively *disliked* her during season 4, the casual disinterest just doesn't make sense after the-summer-that-dare-not-speak-its-name, so I'm glad your Chloe is appropriately pissed about it.thanks! *hee* :o

btw, i'll be probing on the events that lead to the confrontation in the Talon. they'll still be loosely based on eps before Onyx but, of course, they'd be a little AU coz the Chlex in SV has been poorly written. i'd start posting again maybe 2weeks from now, so might want to---you know---*shuffles feet* read them too. :o everything's interconnected, starting from Reality Bites*shameless promotion* :P

(*imagines Lana's eulogy - "everyone I love abandons me by getting squashed flat as a pancake. Hmmm. Pancakes. You, male Smallvillian, go make me breakfast."*):rofl: if i'd been there, i'd laugh my head off. no disrespect, but i think Chloe would find it a hoot. :D

PS teejei I tried to get in a fluffy frame of mind, but the glorious angst in your fic corrupted me, so I'm going to blame you entirely for the angst in my next update ;)oh, yeah? well---i needed the angst mood anyway! *hmpf* bring it on!

aaargh. i knew my little comment back in Studying Stones was gonna bite me in the ass. :P

teejei
27th June 2005, 00:53
A/N: So I beat my weekend deadline...*squee* :worship: Again, my thanks to PMD and her accomodating Muse. Yes, you may now go back and help her write stories. :P

Advance Kleenex warning: I dunno if you’d need it, but don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Featured songs: "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5, "Listen to Your Heart" by Roxette, "Blue and Yellow" by The Used, "I'm Lost Without You" by Blink 182, and "Everytime" by Britney Spears. [yes, Britney. just look up the rest of the lyrics, and then imagine that she wasn't the one who sang it.] :D

3/3 of I Bruise Easily

~*~*~*~*~*~
Chloe knew she should be celebrating, having finally confronted Lex.

'But why does this victory taste so bittersweet?' she wondered as she entered her apartment and closed the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~
"I kissed Lana?"

Lex stared blankly at Chloe's fading taillights.

"But---why?!" his lips curled in utter disgust. Two heartbeats later, it dawned on him.

"Oh, God, what have I done? No wonder Chloe's upset."

Lex walked over to his car and clicked off the alarm.

"How could I be such an ass? She's definitely much, much more than Lana."

And as Lex pulled out of the parking lot, the last thought that crossed his mind was, 'I hope I'm not too late.'

~*~*~*~*~*~
Chloe turned on her radio, hoping to drown out the acoustic song looping in her mind.

"I know that goodbye means nothing at all
Comes back and begs me catch her every time she falls"

"Shut up! Shut up!" she muttered.

Chloe changed the station to one of her presets.

"Listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye---"

"Oh please!" she scoffed.

She angrily punched random numbers, trying to find a 'decent' song for her mood.

Preset 3: "Should've said something but I've said it enough.
By the way my words were faded,
Rather waste my time with you---"

Preset 8: "Are you afraid of being alone?
'Cause I am.
I'm lost without you---"

Preset 6: "My weakness caused you pain.
And this song is my sorry---"

Preset 5: "I know that goodbye means nothing at all---"

"Aaargh!" Chloe shrieked as she stalked over to her bedroom and slammed the door.

She quickly changed into sleeping clothes, wishing the damned song would end by the time she had to go to the living room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex raced the stairs that lead to Chloe's apartment. He was about to knock when he heard a loud noise from the other side of the door. He pressed his ear to the door and strained to hear what the racket was about.

He smirked as he recognized the song.

'I'm going to book that band for a private dinner with Chloe if she would take me back tonight,' he thought as he finally knocked on her door.

~*~*~*~*~*~
Chloe had just finished changing her clothes and got out of her bedroom when she heard someone banging on her front door.

As she trudged over to open it, she glared at her radio thinking, ‘If I find out that Peggy had anything to do with this torture---’

"Tap on my window
Knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful"

"Great. Could this night get any more ironic?" she grumbled, as she opened the door.

"What do you---" Chloe trailed off when she saw who was on the other side.

"Chloe," Lex greeted.

Chloe's eyes widened and she quickly looked at her clothes; white tank top and dark blue baggy pajamas. She looked back up and instinctively held an arm across her chest.

"May I come in?" Lex had wisely refrained from running his eyes over her body. "Please?"

Chloe knew she should give in; Lex rarely said the P-word. But tonight was an exception.

"You can say whatever you want out here," she said calmly.

Lex glanced over her shoulder and noticed that she hadn't turned her radio off. It was still playing the song they heard in the Talon, though this time it was the album version.

"Favorite song?" asked Lex, making a stab at humor.

"I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain"

Chloe closed her eyes and hung her head, letting the words roll off her and cringing at their implication.

"What are you doing here, Lex?" she asked woodenly.

Lex decided to go along with the lyrics, seeing how it affected Chloe and could be used to his advantage.

"Look for the girl with the broken smile

"I'm looking for the girl I'm in love with," he whispered.

Chloe opened her eyes, raised her head, and blinked as she fought the stinging sensation behind her eyes.

"Well, you've got the wrong apartment, Lex. You shouldn't have left the Talon."

"I'm not in love with Lana," he shot back.

"I didn't say a name," she countered.

"Either way, she doesn't mean anything to me," he replied, wanting to smack himself for such a lame comeback.

"Is that Lex or Alexander talking?"

Lex opened and closed his mouth, and then opted to keep it closed for a moment.

"And she will be loved"

"Why are you being so hard on me?" Lex sighed.

"Why didn't you even call me back then? You can't possibly not know my number."

"277-5871," Lex recited automatically.

As Chloe crossed her arms and looked pointedly at him, he regretted it just as fast.

'Damned perfect memory!' they both thought.

"This isn't going anywhere, Lex," Chloe shook her head. "I'm really tired. I just want to lie down and sleep. As we both know by now, attempts on one's life can be very taxing on one's body---be it mentally or physically."

"You've shown extraordinary strength and patience with me last summer. Why are you now giving up so easily?"

"I'm not the one who suddenly decided to walk out of a relationship. Why did you give up so easily?"

And for the first time, Lex admitted that he was solely to blame. There were no excuses, no reasons, no calculated moves, no motives, and no hidden agendas.

Why did he give up so easily? Why did he walk out on Chloe?

Lex couldn't believe his answer would be so cliché.

"And she will be loved"

"I got---scared."

Chloe's eyebrows shot up. "Scared? Of me?"

"Yes."

"What---How could I possibly scare you out of a relationship with me?!"

"I never thought somebody could ever love me so sincerely again."

Lex gripped the doorframe, resisting the urge to just kiss away the skepticism in her voice.

"You gave me so much of yourself that I didn't think I'd be able to give back as much. I could love you to the point of obsession yet still remain selfish."

"So you're saying I asked for too much when all I wanted you to do was to let me love you," said Chloe.

"No! It's just that---," Lex took a deep breath, "I just don't want any more scars."

"What do you mean scars?"

"Remember that night when you told me I was your anti-hero?"

When Chloe nodded he continued.

"I told you that I'll only hurt you in the end. Then you said that you know I'll try not to. And then I tilted your chin and started to stroke it," Lex sighed.

"It's like I was holding your heart in my hands. I thought what I had in my hands was going to be light, soft, smooth and pure. But I was wrong. I felt ridges and clefts. I saw blotches and scorch marks. It felt so heavy with past experiences."

Chloe furrowed her eyebrows at his description but nodded her head for him to continue.

"Despite everything that was said that night, I still---I still had this fear at the back of my mind. That I'd love you to the point of selfish obsession or love you but take you for granted. Either way, I know it would hurt you, and then there'd be another scar, just like the ones Clark left behind, and then you'd hate me and regret ever knowing---" he rambled on.

"Okay, hold it!" Chloe held up a hand for Lex to stop.

"A little summary first. You were overwhelmed by everything and it made you think that you're not capable of reciprocating. And if you ever did reciprocate in either way, I'll still end up getting hurt, which will result in a scar that you don't want to be the cause of. Because you think my heart is scarred enough from Clark, and you're scared that you'd add another scar so you ran away."

Lex clenched his jaw and nodded.

"And you couldn't tell me this earlier?" she asked incredulously.

Lex just sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Hmp. It's so twisted, I can't believe I understand it. Simple answers from now on, okay?"

Lex nodded again.

"Did you---ever---love me?" Chloe asked slowly, trying to convey the gravity of emotion behind those simple words in her delivery.

"Yes."

"Did you love---Lana?" Chloe's voice faltered as her throat constricted instinctively at having to say the brunette's name in the same sentence as 'love'.

Lex's head shot up so fast that she swore she heard his bones crack. He couldn't believe what he just heard.

"How could you ask me that?!" Lex choked out, trying to swallow the multiplying lumps in his throat. He was now having a hard time keeping a straight face.

"A simple answer, please, Lex," sighed Chloe. "That's all I need to hear."

Lex knew the right answer, the only answer; it's already on the tip of this tongue.

'Of course not! How could I love Lana when I love you? You were the only one, Chloe. Everybody else was a distraction.' his mind screamed. 'Say the words now, dammit! Say 'No' now!'

Lex had no qualms on saying those words. He just had to clear his throat and find his voice again.

But silence hadn't always been a good sign between them. Despite her dread of its clichéd implication, Chloe asked again.

"Did you love---Lana?" her voice steadier yet laced with panic.

"I---You were---," he stuttered.

But Lex didn't stand a chance anymore; the words were stuck in his throat and he couldn't even cough them out. The next wave of silence did him in.

"I thought so," Chloe said blankly.

Lex opened his mouth to try again, but it was too late. The next thing he knew Chloe's apartment door was already closed and the only sounds he could hear were her sobs muffled by the song’s last lyrics which he knew he should have used

"Please don't try so hard to say goodbye"

i know, i know. i'm being utterly cruel. but i'm offering a compromise:

i'm planning on a backstory explaining the events that led from Reality Bites to the confrontation in the Talon. the to-be-added parts would still be loosely based on eps before Onyx, but, of course, having that AU twist coz Chlex in SV has been poorly written.oh, and before i forget...

Feedback=Life

welshy
27th June 2005, 01:02
Why couldn't he just say no, I mean its so easy. Its just a two letter word, and how could he not say it ... I mean Lana, euugghhh.

Your evil ... evvvilll, great story though ;) and I can't wait for the backstory

campbti
27th June 2005, 02:45
yeah, REALLY need an epilogue. that was just too horrible. the thought of Lana love is just . bllaaaahhhhh, I don't have words. please. more...

star del mar
27th June 2005, 05:04
I don't even know what to say that, I was all ready for a perfectly sappy ending and then bam! Lex just couldn't have said no?! What a freaking mess but I trust that you'll get me the mush that I'm dying for :)

Steph*

leik2
27th June 2005, 08:50
I was about to cry, then i read your note.
For a man so knowledgeable and wordly, boy sure doesn't know how to say (NO!) a word when it really counts.

PMD
27th June 2005, 09:03
Well, all I can say is that Lionel and his ex's who have tried to kill him has messed him up in the head. However, our Chloester will wipe away the cobwebs and bring him back to reason---maybe with a little embarrassment on his part. <g>

Oh, and I have to say, getting to beta this piece was a relief for me, in regards to my writing. In fact, I think it's inspired a little piece I like to call On the outside, looking in. :)

And in conclusion---ahhem---if Chloe existed before Smallville, Lex would never turn bad. :) I truly believe that. :) Like, you really want Chloe mad at you. <g> Seriously though, well done, teejei. Can't wait for the next piece that I get to beta for you. Oh man, you guys are so much better than I am at this stuff---I'm surrounded by genius'.

jaxie926
29th June 2005, 07:33
i love your writing style! great story, now i'm going to read part 2

jaxie926
29th June 2005, 07:34
I love the way you write, and your characters. I believe if the writers EVER DID get a Chlex clue, that Chloe and Lex would have to go through all this drama before they ended up together. Can't wait for more. :)

arkakitty
1st July 2005, 13:35
Awww the insight is great. I loved, how he was so dense and insecure and that you still followed the series. I really enjoyed reading it. :) I'm off now to read part 2, if you'll excuse me.

arkakitty
1st July 2005, 20:02
Ohhhhh so sad,.... I pity them.... but it started so well....well it didn't but...you get my point...this is sad....but I love it anyway :)

prerogativ2315
10th July 2005, 20:46
that was sad:(

Kit Merlot
12th July 2005, 21:35
My God, you must have Lex convincing Chloe that he doesn't love Lana.

I hope a sequel is planned?

teejei
12th July 2005, 22:49
everyone:

1. sorry if the chapter implies Lexana. it TOTALLY doesn't mean Lana-love on Lex's part.

2. the epilogue is already outlined. but i'm not to going to write till i get the backstory out first.

3. the backstory [so the story arc would be complete] would probably be out in 2-3weeks, the outline already approved by my beta. RL is back with a vengeance, and i'll be juggling school and work.

4. as i always say in my A/N's, there will be a happy ending. Chlex just need to have some angst and drama drawn out between them so that they start over with a clean slate. i swear by all my rep points [w/c you're free to add to, btw. :grin:].

thanks for all the comments. i'm still on the feedback-high. :love2:

JosiCuervo
18th July 2005, 01:37
:worship: This is great.... *runs to part 2* :hug:

JosiCuervo
18th July 2005, 02:13
Wow. Great story. If season 4 had even a glimmer of this, I wouldn't have wanted to smash my TV repeatedly for like 19+ episodes. Looking forward to the next chapter.
:hug:

Louise
3rd August 2005, 22:46
I'm sorry teejei, I thought I'd left feedback for this fic but it turns out I just said I was going to and then forgot!

Anyway, better late then never, and a good excuse to re-read this story a couple of times!

Firstly, I really liked the Chlark friendship in this story, it's a cute brother-sister vibe, like this part

Clark rolled his eyes and ruffled her hair as they walked towards the door. "You sure you'll be ok?"

Very sweet, but not encroaching on Lex's turf - just the way I like my Chlark!

There was something about Chloe's pose that tightened his chest, quickened his heartbeat, and pulled him faster in her direction all at the same time.

I really like this line, it made my chest feel tight too, like her sadness is tugging at his heart.

I feel so sad for Chloe though, to know that a part of him could want to do those things must feel like such a betrayal, even if she knows rationally that he doesn't really want to.

"Those *plans* needn't have pushed through. The mere fact that the thought crossed your mind and that you entertained it proves that Alexander has a firm, if not stronger, grip on your consciousness than Lex has," she argued. "How can you be sure that Alexander won't do an encore performance in the future?"

"Because I won't allow him to!" he insisted. "Chloe, don't give up on me yet."

And this is really heartbreaking. Everyone always assumes the worst of him but Chloe, who actually trusted him to take care of her, and now even she is giving up on him.

"I'm Lex," he said, loosening his hold just a bit.

"Your Lex," he said huskily.

Chloe's breath hitched. "I don't think I ever had you!" she choked out.

Oh oh this is just gut wrenching, gets me every time I read it, something about the powerful simplicity of the dialogue, I can just hear the hitch in her voice :(

"I kissed Lana?"

Lex stared blankly at Chloe's fading taillights.

"But---why?!" his lips curled in utter disgust.

This made me laugh out loud, must be quite a traumatising revelation I should imagine. I think I'd want to shower immediately.

"I'm looking for the girl I'm in love with," he whispered.

Awh...Chloe is a strong woman to resist that, but that's why we (and Lex) love her so much!

"I told you that I'll only hurt you in the end. Then you said that you know I'll try not to. And then I tilted your chin and started to stroke it," Lex sighed.

"It's like I was holding your heart in my hands. I thought what I had in my hands was going to be light, soft, smooth and pure. But I was wrong. I felt ridges and clefts. I saw blotches and scorch marks. It felt so heavy with past experiences."

Chloe furrowed her eyebrows at his description but nodded her head for him to continue.

"Despite everything that was said that night, I still---I still had this fear at the back of my mind. That I'd love you to the point of selfish obsession or love you but take you for granted. Either way, I know it would hurt you, and then there'd be another scar, just like the ones Clark left behind, and then you'd hate me and regret ever knowing---" he rambled on.

I'm quoting this whole section because I really like the imagery of the scarred heart in his hands, and that he was afraid he would hurt her - even though, the silly dolt, he did that by ignoring her - it is sweet, in a clueless kind of way.

I love how he started so eloquent but ends up rambling because he's overwhelmed by his feelings. It really shows how his facade slips when he is around her - and the ending, sad as it is makes sense,

But Lex didn't stand a chance anymore; the words were stuck in his throat and he couldn't even cough them out. The next wave of silence did him in.

he is too tongue-tied by his feelings to respond in time.

Can't wait for your next fic teejei, excellent angsty job :)

Thaís
1st September 2005, 21:43
It started so good, but it ended soo bad... Lex really lwft Chloe and went for Lana???? Is this even possible???? Just a mistake, right? Right?!?!

teejei
1st September 2005, 21:49
i don't wanna spoil the fun and rat out the details, but i could assure you a happy Chlex ending. just follow the fanfic links in my sig; Broken Sonnet is a multi-part series. it's advisable that you read it in chronological order, but i think each part is capable to be a stand-alone.

btw, thanks for reading this fic. head on to my other fics and please leave feedback. i'm such a whore for it sometimes. :D

Thaís
1st September 2005, 22:51
Oh, God...
So, so, so sad...
But they will find a way to be together, right? Right?!?!

teejei
1st September 2005, 23:05
Oh, yes, definitely together in the end. :D

teejei
25th September 2005, 20:51
*peeks in her thread*

just a heads-up, guys. my update is loooooooong overdue, and boy do i know it!

RL's been giving me a hard time lately, and i can't seem to get in the right groove to write. caffeine, nicotine, chocolate and even *gasp* smut don't seem to please the muse.

i hope everyone understands. i'll try to finish everything before the year ends. i'm not making promises coz i just hate it when i can't fulfill them. :o

kimmie
28th September 2005, 00:53
This was a fantastic fic, loved the angst and I'm totally not an angsty person!!!

Kimmie

letia84
18th March 2006, 19:05
ok i just read this and I need more please!

teejei
4th April 2007, 03:43
Hey all.

First off, I'd like to thank Aimee for helping me out with this thread. :hug:

Second, I've decided to merge this series' two parts into one thread. No one's post count has been affected by this, I hope. Just doing a bit of housekeeping with my threads.

Third, the Muse is DEFINITELY back! Thanks to the combined effects of N~S downtime Julie[/B], it did me a whole lot of good], TwoP, Castville, and the train wreck that is, was, and forever will be [I]Promise. Hey, the SAWs finally gave me something to be thankful for! :D

Fourth, with the Muse getting into gear again, she has trashed the outline and timeline. Threw them right out the proverbial window. That means from now on, we are all to assume that everything that happened and will happen are set in different AUs and timelines, unless specified. And yes, Reality Bites and I Bruise Easily are from the same 'verse and timeline. All else is fair game.

And with that, I bring you the next installment...

teejei
4th April 2007, 03:45
Broken Sonnet Series - Part 3 - Debris

Rating: pushing for PG
Spoilers: Nemesis, according to the sneak peek video that CWTV released.
Summary: Always grab every opportunity.
Disclaimer: Not mine. Will never be. No profits. Will return.

They both rushed to the site when they heard the news; their men were trapped inside the cave, but the rescuers were able to get to them and were now on their way out.

Both had fear and worry etched on their faces, yet for whom no one except the two knew for sure.

She ran past her, dodging the uniforms, and wrapped her arms around him despite the dirt on his shirt.

The other one stopped abruptly, her mouth hung open as she took in the sight before her. She was waiting for their moment to end when she spotted the another man emerge from the cave, disoriented and disheveled. She looked back at the couple and knew she had to grab at the presented opportunity.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"So how does it feel, Lex?"

"What?" Lex whips his head around to the blonde suddenly standing beside him.

"I said", Chloe looks away from the couple as Lana raises her head from Clark's chest, "how does it feel?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. And even if I did, I'm under no obligation to answer, Miss Sullivan." Lex replies with a snarl, his jaw clenches from the simmering rage at the sight before him.

"I assumed that an injured and cornered animal would try to hide its desperation and be more careful of his words since its existence is on the line," she muses. "Have you thought about that?"

Lex never gets the chance to answer as they both notice Lana walking towards them, trying not to trip over the debris.

"Keep that in mind." Chloe whispers and starts to make her way across to Clark.

She passes by Lana, letting out a small smile for the confused girl and then a wider grin for her best friend.

Lex tries to smile and return the hug that Lana gives him with as much enthusiasm and relief as possible. But he couldn't erase the image of his wife embracing another man as Chloe's words echo in his mind.

'Desperation. Injured. Existence.'

==========
Just noticed my post count: 747. :D

TrinityR
24th June 2012, 22:21
So it's not completed? Please, finish!