PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated to SaraC - In The Arms Of The Angels (PG-13/T)

PMD
16th April 2005, 02:57
In regards to the compass being lost, I know it wasn't in the series but for dramatic purposes, it is here. Enjoy.

Title: Dedicated to SaraC - "In The Arms Of The Angels"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T

Category: Chlex Married, angst, futurefic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything from the two years but emphasis on Ryan and Exodus.

Summary: Lex's life changes after his near-death experience and he reflects on these changes.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, and the song title, In The Arms Of The Angels, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: Exclusive to TBT, N.S. Forums, SPP, Sabby's site and Malu's site.

Author Notes: Just like SaraC, I saw Ryan tonight and it hit me---how incredible this one young life changed others. Life-changing moments has always fascinated me and I thought again about Exodus, wondering what changes await Lex. So, decided to put my own spin on it. I dedicate this to SaraC and her wonderful piece, Birthday Presents, first and foremost. And a thank you to Sabby, Blaire, David, Adeylan, Kris, Jay, and so many others, for changing my life and enriching it, with their humor, style, grace and charm. You have blessed me with your friendships and, well, there are just not words adequate in English or any language to express how I feel beyond thank you. And a special thank you to MR---I tell you, last night’s episode had me sad and then feeling uplifted by your performance and the others. It's emotionally draining but then, those are the best episodes to watch. Not to mention---had a flashback between a certain AD and a certain bad guy from the X-Files---with the Mayor and Lex. <g> He just picked the wrong person to take on. <bg> Okay, enjoy the story and don't forget---Kleenex warning in effect.

Dedicated to SaraC - "In The Arms Of The Angels" - by PMD

Sometimes I feel like somebody is watching over me---maybe a spirit---maybe a guardian angel---I don't know. It's like the prickly feeling you have on the back of your neck.

Sometimes I think they're not doing the best job. After all, my last ex-wife tried to drown me. But then I think---free will. Or maybe---there was a silver lining to it. Several, to be exact.

Yes, I gained an acceptance I had wanted for a long time from Jonathan Kent---even though I lost the compass. I remembered him turning to me and saying---'You don't need it anymore---it's within your heart---the compass that will always bring you home to the ones who love you.' I still tear up at that.

I helped a friend find his own way back home and he shared his greatest secret. Trust---the greatest gift he could have given me, beyond his friendship that changed an insolent man into an up-standing citizen.

I helped a partner find her way back to this man, by making him jealous and then making them both happy. It showed me that true love still does exist---just needs a quick kick in the seat of the pants sometimes.

I helped a woman get through a grief-stricken time when she lost her unborn child. Shared the guilt, the anger, and the sad thoughts of a young son who saw his mother go through the same dark journey of sadness. I remembered the day she came and said thank you---saying she lost a child that day but along the way, she found another son---me.

I saw a friend of a friend fighting an internal struggle with himself, not knowing whether to trust me or not, because of my name. But that day, after the woman left, he entered and buried the hatchet, once and for all. A friendship grew from that day on. He's become the advocate for me, when terrible things are said. And I will be forever grateful for the second chance with him.

As to my real family, Lucas was always there for me but my father---that was a surprise. Maybe me almost dying scared him to death---I don't know. But our relationship changed from that moment on. Oh, he still gets on my case about business but I just let it go. Well, at times I do---once in a while the old ways come back but then, I always shone brightest when arguing with the old man.

But the brightest, most wonderful silver lining, to my changed life has to do with a certain young woman who pushed me out of my shell after the disastrous second marriage.

I remembered sitting there, months after my near drowning, feeling sorry for myself. She walked in, determination on her face. She argued, ranted, raved, poked, prodded and finally, kissed me out of my sadness. That last part---surprised the hell out of me. And yet, it didn't. The moment we kissed, that was it for me. As to her, she looked stunned and then this smile crept across her face and we merged once again---two people as one but still individuals.

"Hey?"

I break away from my thoughts. "Hey, yourself."

She walks over and sits on my lap, her arms around my neck. "I was lonely. Are you coming to bed, ever?"

"Yes---as soon as I finish with this."

She looks at the computer. "Oh---I forgot what day this is. So, are they meeting us at the cemetery?"

"Yes---I sent e-mails to everybody and they all accepted."

"Good---Lex, do you miss Ryan?"

"Every day of my life, Chloe. We got close near the end."

"Yeah---we did too. I wish he hadn't died."

"Me too---or---"

"Yes. Have I told you how proud I am of you helping the Kents through their loss?"

"It was easier to do that than dealing with my own anger at Helen, at the time."

She looks at me with those penetrating eyes. "Lex, you didn't help them for that reason---you did it because you were human and you love them."

I smile at her. "And I thought Ryan could read minds."

She leans down to place a kiss on my lips. "I'll always be able to read you better than Ryan because of my love for you."

"As I you," I state, before turning off the computer. "So---shall we?"

She gets off my lap and lends me her hand. "Lex---you ever feel like Ryan is watching over us?" she asks, as we leave the study.

I'm stunned. "You too?"

She turns to me. "Yes, me too. It's like we're in the arms of the angels, when I sense him."

"No!"

"No?"

"We're in the arms of the angels, when we are in each other's arms. He's just the eyes of the angels, looking down on us, watching us live the best way that we can."

We're in the bedroom now and she snuggles into my arms. "You're right."

"I am?"

"Don't ruin a heartfelt moment, Mr. Luthor."

"Perish the thought, Mrs. Luthor."

She backs away. "Come back to bed, Lex. After all, how many more quiet times will we have---with the baby on the way."

I smile at her, quietly leading her to our bed and wondering if it's a boy---we're going to call him Ryan. And I bet I won't get any arguments from her on that one.

The End.

autumngold
16th April 2005, 06:41
Fabulous story!! I really like how both Chloe and Lex can feel Ryan watching over them!! I'm so glad they have each other!!

PMD
17th April 2005, 09:41
Hey Autumn:

Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :) And I just always felt like somebody was watching out for Clark---and the other's considering the danger they're in all the time. Protect the protector and all that.

starmoon
30th April 2005, 00:00
that was a little sad but sweet at the same time.

PMD
30th April 2005, 01:44
Star:

Awww---I'm glad you liked it, sweetie. :) I'm just so sad that Ryan had to die. :( He would have been a good little brother for Clark. :)

Nonhalema
27th May 2007, 14:30
great work...not too long, not too short and everything in it *bravo*

Ami Rose
18th June 2015, 04:31
Awesome, so sweet!