PDA

View Full Version : How We Never Met Series - Part 5 - Meant For Each Other - For Eternity (PG-13/T)

PMD
13th April 2005, 21:13
Now there is a slight mention of christmas at the end, but this is mainly a non-holiday story so I put it here. Enjoy. Oh, and Chloe played with Lex at the end, in regards to a question---just a way to put some verbal judo there or a touch of humor. :)

Title: How We Never Met Series - Part 5 - "Meant For Each Other - For Eternity"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T (for suggestive situations)

Category: Family, friendship, Chlex, slight Clana, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville up to Gone with some slight AU twists, of course.

Summary: Lex meets the woman of his dreams, after a couple of misses.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs song, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Bruce Wayne, Christmas, and a situation from Sliding Doors, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: BtS, BT2, Electicchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to an idea that was taken from Sliding Doors---a plot point, as it were. And also to my friends on the lists. And to N.S. Forums, who, through the kindness of friendship and feedback, has reawakened my muse's writing heart. Thanks to David for the quick look at this piece. Hope you like the twist, dude. Hope you guys all enjoy this little twist in the story too. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 5 - "Meant For Each Other---For Eternity" - by PMD

Prologue: I always thought the luckiest day in my life was the day the Kents adopted me as their own. However, that changed the day I saw her.

~

Lex's POV

The Metro Cafe

"Lex?"

I look back at my father---his eyes twinkling with humor.

"Oh, sorry---got distracted there, Dad."

"Yes, I can see that. So, what is it this time---another brunette? You and Clark planning on having matching bookends as wives are you?"

I shake my head. "Nope---Lana is one of a kind, Dad."

I watch as the man who saved my life leans over and places a hand over mine. "Just like Martha is for me, Son. So, what has peeked your interest?"

"I don't know---just this feeling that something wonderful is going to happen. Like that day when you found me in the cornfield---or the day you adopted me."

I see the tears glistening in his eyes. "Son, that's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me."

I feel tears in my eyes too and think, thank God for the Kents to take a wayward boy into their lives, no questions asked. Just like they took a boy from outer space and made him their own.

It happened when I was 9 and Clark was 3---the day of the meteor shower that brought him into all our lives---and brought the Kents into mine.

I remembered lying in the cornfield after a major one dropped. I lost consciousness for a moment but then was awoken by a hand on my body. I opened my eyes and saw a kind face looking down on me. He picked me up and nestled me against his body---shielding me until we got to his truck. A woman got out, carrying a little boy in her arms, and allowed me in first.

I climbed in and she came afterwards, with the man behind the wheel. I wouldn't know until later that he found me, after finding my father's body on the road, his heart given out. Somehow, after seeing his body, he used his own heart to find me---it was a miracle and I didn't want to question it---just accept it.

I was an orphan now, my mother having died a year earlier. I had nobody---even a father who hated me was preferable than being alone in this world. But I found out I wasn't alone and I never would be.

"Lex?"

"Ooops, it happened again, didn't it," I state, with a chagrined smile.

He gives me a slight smile back and then:

"What were you thinking about?"

"About how we began."

"Oh, well, that's nice. But Lex, don't you have a business to run---remember---the interviews for a new secretary?"

"Gee, Dad, and I thought Mom was the one who reminded me of these things," I reply, with a slight grin.

"She rubs off on me," he chuckles.

We both get up and put on our coats. Then he pulls me in for a fast hug. We back away and he speaks:

"Remember---you're to come to the hotel room for dinner tonight?"

"Dad---why can't you stay at my condo?"

"Because we don't want to cramp your style."

I chuckle at that. "Not much to cramp---not going with anybody at the moment."

"Ah---but what if that feeling is that you're about to meet somebody?"

"Somebody meant for me only---like meant for each other---for eternity?"

"Something like that."

"Well, haven't met her yet but I guess I can understand another reason for you not to be there---like I want to be in the next room, hearing my parents making love---again."

"What---you didn't?"

I snicker at him. "Dad, I can still pull your leg, can't I?"

He puts his arm around my shoulder as we walk out of the cafe. "Well, you do come from a long line of leg pullers---I've been known to do one or two."

As we walk away from the cafe, I feel that feeling again. I stop and pull away.

"What?" my father asks me.

I turn around and see a wisp of blonde hair, as the person enters the cafe---then I shake my head and turn to him.

"Nothing---just thought I saw somebody I knew. I'll see you guys later, Dad. I'm off to work---hi ho, hi ho."

He gives me another quick hug, a smile, and then is gone. I look at the cafe once more, shake my head again, and then make my way to my car and Lexcorp.

~

The Metro Arms

"Any luck with the interviews today, Sweetheart?" Mom asks me.

"I'd have better luck hiring Dad for the job," I state with a frown.

"Don't think Jonathan can do more than 20 words a minute, Dear," she replies with a grin.

"Yes, but he certainly would have better manners. Well, maybe tomorrow---unless---you wouldn't like the job, Mom? Keep it in the family?"

"Honey, I'm proud to call you son but I think we would get on each other's nerves if I worked there. Besides, I have my hands full with the farm and running Lexcorp Charities."

"I understand. Still, would love to see you come more often to Metro. You know, I miss being at home."

She puts her arms around me and gives me a patented Martha hug. "I know, we miss you and Clark getting up to make breakfast for us too---and whispering loudly---be quiet!"

I back away and look into her beautiful eyes that always gives me strength. "I miss you, Mom."

"I miss you too, Son. But you know, you can always come home for a weekend."

"What's a weekend?"

She laughs at that. "You've got to take time off, Lex---get yourself a woman."

"Mom!"

"What? I'm not that old to say these things to you."

"Yeah, but that sounds like something Dad would say."

"And you never listen to me either, Lex," I hear a deep voice behind me say.

I turn around and shake my head. "I'll work on it. For now, I better let you two oldsters get to bed---it's after 10."

We all laugh at my turn of a phrase and after a couple of hugs and one kiss on the cheek from Mom, I'm gone from their loving presence again. With the promise that they'll see me the next day, at the office. Dinner before they have to go back to the hotel room and pack to leave Metro the next day. I'm going to miss them---maybe I should take a weekend off and visit them---maybe this weekend.

I close the door to their room and feel that feeling again. I look up to see a wisp of blonde hair enter the next room down. I walk quickly towards the door and hear:

"Glad you made it, C."

"Yeah, I am too," I hear a female voice say.

It's the voice of an angel---sweet and clear. I glance in and see the blonde hair but nothing else. Then the door is closed and I'm left on the outside. Do I knock and barge in? No---rudeness is not in my vernacular. I'll let fate take it's place and if I meet her again, good. If not---bad as it might seem---I will survive.

I place my hand on the door and say a little prayer that we will meet again. Then I make my way to the elevator.

~

Lexcorp - Lex's Office - The Next Day

I sit there, dejected. Is Bruce Wayne's secretary the only one out there that can be so---efficient? Maybe I should ask Mom again---she was pretty good when Janey was sick. Now Janey's not coming back---she's moving with her husband to the West Coast. Ah well, there's somebody out there, Lex---there just has to be.

I had people who were scared of me because of my business-like reputation---that has always been blown out of proportion. I had people who were flirty---thinking about the old adage of falling for the boss and living in the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives. I even got a lady that mothered me---not so bad but really, wanted me to sit on her lap and tell her all my problems. Even Janey thought that was too much.

I let out a sigh; at least I have some respite from it right now. Janey has gone home and soon I'll have my *real Mommy* to tell my woes too.

I close my eyes and turn around, remembering the first time I had a nightmare about the meteors. It was the first night of the hospital stay after that traumatic day. I woke up, screaming, and then felt safe in somebody’s arms. They backed away and I saw her clearly---the woman who had sat beside me in the trip in. She pulled me back and I cried---I hadn't cried as much since my mother died.

My father would have told me to buck up and fly straight. She, she told me to let it out. I felt her love that night and this day forward.

I hear a knock on my door. "Mom, Dad, you know you don't have to knock."

Ah well, it's the manners in them. "Come in."

It opens and then, "What forgot your manners already?"

"No, waiting for you to turn around so I can begin my interview, if it's not too late. If it is I'm sorry to have bothered you---just ran into traffic and dear lord, I just gave you an excuse. I'm sorry. See I really need this job in order to have the money to send out my first mystery novel to publishers. So, do we do the interview or not?"

That voice---and that feeling again. I turn around and am looking at her, finally. Her blonde hair is wispy. Her stature short and lovely. Her beauty shines in how she looks; her stance; her clothes; but mainly her eyes. She's so beautiful and I know it's inside and out.

I get up and walk around the desk. I lean against it and then push myself off, walking towards her.

"Ah---my name is Chloe Sullivan and I'm here for the interview," she states the not so and the so obvious.

I stop and don't say anything---just keep staring at her.

"What's wrong---do I have something in my teeth?"

"No---but I do have to ask you something?"

"What?"

"Were you at the Metro Cafe yesterday morning?"

"Yes."

"Another question, if I may," I state, starting to walk towards her again.

"Yes?"

"Were you at the Metro Arms last night?"

"Yes, I was---are you following me for some reason?"

I'm right in front of her now and I see no fear. A little anger but no fear.

"No---just at the right place at the right time."

She lets out a sigh and gives me a smile. Then I lean forward and ask:

"May I kiss you?"

I back away and hear her gasp---then a nod.

I lean forward again and kiss her gently; afraid this is a dream that might disappear if I'm more forward. However, she is, pulling me in, deepening the kiss. We both moan, as I pull her into my arms and hold on for dear life. We finally have to back away.

"Sorry, we're late, Son. Who's your friend?"

She turns around and looks at my parents, smiling. Then she turns to me:

"Little early to meet the parents yet, isn't it?"

I chuckle at her joke, as do my parents, who walk over and welcome her into the fold.

~

3 Months Later

"Lex, we're here."

I look over at her and smile. "I know; I lived here, remember."

She gives me a smirk and then looks out, over the snow. "Wow---a real white Christmas. And now, to meet the friends. Lex, can we go home?"

"Scared?"

"A little."

I turn off the engine and put a hand in hers. "It'll be okay---my parents love you; Clark and Lana love you; they'll love you too."

"Do you love me?"

For once in my life, my heart is so full of love for a woman, I can't speak. I don't have to speak.

I turn on the overhead light and stare into her eyes. She smiles at me and leans forward, kissing me gently on my lips. Then she moves away and turns towards the door, opening it and getting out. Then she closes it.

I turn off the light and do the same. I smile over the hood, at her.

"Where too?" she asks.

"Let's try the barn first."

"Why?"

"There's a special place I want to show you. And Clark said he and Lana would be there. We need to tell you something very important, Chloe."

"You mean the secret?"

I nod, coming around the car and standing before her. I take her hand and we walk towards the barn. God, I pray she doesn't run away after finding out the secret that we all hold so dear to our heart. I don't think I could survive this world without her.

I open the barn door and see Mom and Dad standing there.

"Welcome, you two. Everybody's inside the house except Clark and Lana---they're up in the loft. Chloe, if you need to talk afterwards, I'm a good listener," Mom says.

"Thanks, Mrs. Kent."

"Martha, please."

"Thanks, Martha."

"Well, we'll leave you to it, Son," Dad states, patting me on the back as they pass us by.

The door is closed and we're standing there, alone.

"Lex, shall we?"

I take her hand and lead her towards the loft stairs. It seems like a long walk up but it only takes a minute. At the top are Clark and Lana, by the telescope. They turn to see us standing there.

Clark walks over to us and gives us both a hug. When he backs away, Lana is smiling at all of us.

"Time to tell the truth about who you are, Clark," Lana says.

He takes Chloe's hand and walks her over to the couch. She sits, staring at him and then me, her eyes blazing with curiosity.

"Will somebody tell me before I die from curiousity?"

"Okay," Clark says. "Lex, you want to do the honors or should I?"

"Maybe it'll be easier if it comes from me."

He walks back over to Lana and they back away to allow me some space. I walk over and sit beside her. "Chloe, Clark is---"

She sighs and gives me a smile.

"Lex, honey, baby, sweetie, you don't have to tell me about Clark. I know all about him."

"What?"

Clark and Lana walk over quickly and stare at her, as do I.

"What do you mean you know all about me?"

She looks at Clark. "Listen, Kent, I would be a piss poor mystery writer if I couldn't figure out a mystery in real life, wouldn't I?"

"But---you never let on---wait, who do you think I am?"

"You, Mr. Clark Kent, husband to Lana, brother to Lex, and loving son to Martha and Jonathan, are an alien from outer space."

Okay, you could hear a pin drop in this barn.

"Chloe?" I ask.

"Lex, don't worry---I won't ever tell anybody and the reason I found out is that I overheard you one night talking to Clark on the phone. I just had to wait until you deemed it time to tell me---and I knew you would."

"You knew and you never let on. Clark, she is going to be a major asset in keeping this a secret."

She smiles as he nods his agreement. I look at Lana and she's beaming.

"I'm glad I have somebody to talk to about it now---I mean Martha is great but you're---"

"---closer to your age?"

"Yeah, I guess that's it. You're not even weirded out about it, are you?"

"I was there for a moment after I overheard the conversation. But then, I thought, how remarkable this was and how badly it would end if the wrong people found out---he would be dissected and everybody who knew about it could be arrested for harboring a real alien. I didn't want that to happen to my friends and the man I love."

I put my hand over hers and she looks at me. "Yes, you know I love you. I guess you've always known we were meant for other right from the beginning. Now I really know it, or you wouldn't have allowed me into the inner circle."

I lift her hand and kiss it. Then I turn to look at the others. "I can take it from here, guys. I'll see you later in the house."

They nod, say their good-byes for the moment, and leave us alone.

I look back at her and smile. "Yes, I knew it the moment I saw you, even before I saw your face. It was a feeling that can't be denied and now, I have a very important question to ask of you, Chloe."

"Yes?"

"Chloe, will you marry me?"

~

The loft is quiet once more, except for a slight gasp and then the trademark smile of hers.

"Let me think about that for a moment."

I give her a classic smirk, which causes her to laugh. "Now, let me see---Bruce said me might be interested---so did a couple of others---what were their names? So many offers of marriage---should I go for love or just lust?"

"Why not have both?"

"Yeah, why not. I'll go with Bruce then."

"Over my dead body," I growl at her.

"Geez, Lex. You fall in love and lose your sense of humor."

"So, what is your answer?" I ask.

"Yes, my answer is yes, you duffus."

I let out a sigh and get up, taking the box out of my coat pocket and give it to her. She opens it and sees a solitare there.

"Lex, it's beautiful."

She takes it out and hands it to me. I smile:

"It was my mother's---my real mother's ring. She wanted me to give it to the woman who was my match and that person is definitely you, Chloe."

I take her hand and put the ring on her finger. Then I kiss the hand and pull her up. I wrap my arms around her and hear a sigh from her.

"We're meant for each other---for eternity, Lex."

"I've always believed that. Now others will too," I reply.

We pull back and then kiss. Gently we move from each other again and make our way downstairs to our friends and family. Yes, the others will know too that our love is eternal---that we're meant for each other---and nobody will ever break us apart. They'll know just by the look in our eyes.

The End.

bluengreenswmer
13th April 2005, 22:03
Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. There are no other words.

asharnanae
14th April 2005, 00:53
"Let me think about that for a moment."

I give her a classic smirk, which causes her to laugh. "Now, let me see---Bruce said me might be interested---so did a couple of others---what were their names? So many offers of marriage---should I go for love or just lust?"

"Why not have both?"

"Yeah, why not. I'll go with Bruce then."

"Over my dead body," I growl at her.

"Geez, Lex. You fall in love and lose your sense of humor."

"So, what is your answer?" I ask.

"Yes, my answer is yes, you duffus."

Classic!!! loved the fic, and its great to see an au with a lex brought up by the kents. sweet, and lovely!!! :D

summer_enchanted
14th April 2005, 01:09
Loved it!!!!!!!!:love2::love2::love2:

autumngold
14th April 2005, 06:38
What a great love story!! I love Chloe teasing Lex with Bruce!! Very cute!! I think this story is my favorite of your series so far!! Can't wait for the next!!

PMD
14th April 2005, 07:12
Hey Guys:

Blue: Awwww---thanks, Blue. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :)

Ash: Glad you enjoyed the piece, hon. :) And I have for so long wanted to do a piece where the Kents adopted Lex. Finally, I did it and now, maybe Chloe's turn? :)

Summer: Glad you enjoyed it, hon. :)

Autumn: Awwww----I'm glad you enjoyed the story, sweetie. :) And especially this one, since it is nearest and dearest to my heart---in the affect that Lex gets the parents he deserves. :) Yep, more to come.

starmoon
14th April 2005, 22:37
i like this story and like this series it is good.

PMD
15th April 2005, 10:40
Hey starmoon:

Glad you enjoyed this story and are enjoying the series. :)

~*~Tasha~*~
23rd June 2006, 14:36
Very sweet, Peggy.

planetcal
23rd June 2006, 15:28
This was such a cute story!!!

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 18:06
What a great idea: Clark and Lex as Brothers and no Bitchy Lana...

superag
6th August 2007, 23:03
Very cute and original idea.

summer_enchanted
31st March 2013, 18:38
I love this short story!

Ami Rose
2nd June 2013, 05:32
Gotta love the know it all... great fic