PDA

View Full Version : How We Never Met Series - Part 4 - Breakaway - Part 1 (PG-13/T) - Complete

PMD
12th April 2005, 19:07
My muse was so musy with this one, it's coming to you in two parts. Enjoy. :)

Title: How We Never Met Series - Part 4 - "Breakaway - Part 1"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T (for suggestive situations)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, some Clana, Christmas Fic, Songfic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to Gone and speculation beyond. But I've added my own little twist to the Smallville history.

Summary: Chloe does a magazine article on Lex's Christmas party.

Disclaimer: To whomever Smallville, the characters, the song lyrics to Breakaway, Princess Diaries 2, Kelly Clarkson, Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, Kevin Spacey, Nellie Bly, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Star Wars, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ and Malu's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Authors Notes: This is dedicated to David---for all his hard work in helping me be a better fanfic writer. And to Kris and Hickchick, for being there when I wanted to give up. And to Jay, one of the best friends a person could ever have in their lives---I'm blessed by all of you, and so many others. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 4 - "Breakaway - Part 1" - by PMD

Prologue:

My dad, the magazine mogul, wants me to do an article for the Metro Millionaire and Billionaire magazine, about Lex Luthor's Christmas party. Why---because the other one who would do it is going out of town with his wife. Ah well, first time meetings are always interesting, especially with him, from what I understand.

~

Metro M and B Headquarters

I stand before Clark Kent's desk at the magazine and smile at him.

"Yes, Honey, I'll be home on time. I promise. Lana, I have to go; Chloe needs something from me. Bye---I love you."

He puts the phone down and I chuckle. "Thanks---I needed to see a whipped man today."

He smirks at me. "You still don't want to do this, do you?"

I sigh, sitting on the chair across from his desk. "No, but for you, Kent, I will."

"Thanks," he states, before opening a drawer and handing me a binder. "This is all the information you need on the man and the parties of the past. Course, I have more in my head but since he is my best friend and I promised to keep all his secrets, you'll have to find that out for yourself---if he deems you worthy."

"And you know I won't because I like to give my subjects some privacy. And since this is about a party and not about him, as much---"

"Chloe, I admire you for not looking at the man and thinking, he's bad news. Not many journalists would do that."

"Considering he shuns most of them, can you blame them."

"No, I guess not. But, he's been burned so many times, can you blame him for shunning."

"No, I guess I can't. In fact, I can totally understand that. Remember that I've been where he is. The press hounded me. I didn't have many friends in my early life---they were all for me when I spent money on them---after it stopped, they stopped coming around, thinking I'm bad news."

"I know you understand," he states, patting my hand. "For the record, Chloe, you and he are my friends because I like you two, not because I want something like money or favors from either of you."

I get up and smile at him. "Clark, I count you and Lana as my only true friends, other than my father. But hopefully, before long, I'll have Lex to add to this list. Now get going, before Lana thinks you and I are having an affair behind her back."

He snorts at that response and gets up, grabbing his coat. "Bye Chloe---see you in a week. And Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to the both of you, Clark."

I kiss him on the cheek and watch him run towards the elevator. Slowing down in your old super-hero age, Clark, I think. Then I pick up the binder and make my way to my office, my coat, and then the elevator. Off to see the wonderful wizard of great parties, one Alexander Joseph Luthor.

~

Outside the Luthor Mansion

Okay, my job is like right out of the movie Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil. But this mansion is straight out of Gothics Are Us. Wonder if there's a cemetery nearby too.

I walk up the steps and knock on the big door. I wait for a few minutes, dusting off my coat and try once more, when I don't get anywhere with the first time. This time I get results. The door opens and:

"No, not over there---over there---James, help them!"

I stand there, waiting for him to finish. He turns to look at me and gives me a slight smile. "Clark's replacement, I presume."

I smile at him and put out my gloved hand. "Chloe Elizabeth Sullivan, heir to the Sullivan publishing fortune, at your service."

He chuckles at that, moving away, so I can enter, bags and all. "Travel light?"

"Yes, I left the piano at home this time."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Sullivan. And Clark wasn't wrong---you are a spitfire. This will be an interesting weekend."

"Spitfire? And here I thought he liked me."

He chuckles at that. "Well, it was meant as a compliment I believe. But he forgot to mention how beautiful you are."

I feel color coming to my ears, with this compliment. I smile. "Well, you could have seen some pictures of me in the paper to know that."

"I did---and they don't do you justice," he replies.

I take off my gloves and he takes a hand, kissing it gently, his eyes staring into mine. Then he lets it go, gesturing I take off my coat. I do and he hands it to whom I assume is James, with my gloves too. He turns back to me.

"Would you like a tour of the mansion?"

I'm so stunned by his gesture a few moments ago, I stumble. "Ah---what?"

"The house, want to see it now?"

"Is it ready for the party?"

"Not quite."

"Then later on would be okay. Right now, could you show me to my bedroom."

"Only if you allow me to stay."

I roll my eyes. "Clark wasn't exaggerating about your lack of humor there, Luthor."

His eyebrow raises and he gives me a full-blown smile. "And here I thought you liked me."

I roll my eyes again and walk away from him.

"This way, Ms. Sullivan."

I turn around. "Thank you, Mr. Luthor."

"Anything for a beautiful lady."

"Or for the start of a beautiful friendship."

He leans down and picks up one of the suitcases. "Shall we?"

I nod my head and pick up the other suitcase, following a very intriguing man up the stairs and to my room. He puts the bag down at my bedroom door.

"Need some help unpacking?"

Before I can say anything, we hear a crash. "Maybe you better go see what that's about."

"Yes, I believe I better do that. I'll talk to you later, Ms. Sullivan."

"Chloe, please."

"All right. And my name is Lex."

"Lex it is then."

Another crash is heard and he grimaces, before turning around and walking downstairs. Well, an interesting start to a fascinating interview. This is going to be more fun than I thought it ever would be.

~

That Night

Damn---I hate strange beds.

I walk down the steps and find myself at the bottom, exhausted because of lack of sleep. I lean against the banister for a second and then look down the long corridor. I wonder what's down there---hopefully a kitchen so I can get my customary hot chocolate that might help me sleep.

I walk down the corridor, my eyes adjusting to the low lighting. I stop at the end---thank God, there is a kitchen at the end of this corridor. I let out a sigh and walk in.

"Miss?"

I nearly jump out of my skin. "Who's there?"

The man comes forward and gives me an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Miss Sullivan."

"Oh, James."

"Yes, Miss."

"Please call me Chloe."

"No, Miss. That is not permitted. Although, I could call you Miss Chloe."

I smile. "That's fine. So, what are you doing up so late?"

"Making some hot chocolate."

"Oh my God---I so love you, James, if you have---"

"---extra. Yes, I do. But you might have to fight Master Lex over it."

"I'll win!" I state, emphatically.

"I bet you would," we hear from the doorway.

I turn around to see Lex in a dressing gown and bottoms, leaning against the doorway, giving me what Clark likes to call a classic smirk. Oh God, this man is so handsome. Why somebody hasn't snapped him up---wait a couple already have, with almost murderous results.

"Chloe?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts and smile. "Well, of course I'll win---I'm the guest."

He walks towards me. "No---you work here for the weekend---remember---article about my Christmas Party?"

"You're a gentleman then---giving up his cup to a lady."

He smirks. "Now, who said I was a gentleman?"

"Clark and Lana did."

He smiles now. "Well, best friends often talk about the best of their other friend---not their shortfalls."

"How about this---we split the hot chocolate?"

He puts out his hand. "Deal."

I shake it and reluctantly let it go. "James, two cups."

He gives us both a small smile and goes to the cupboard.

"Shall we?" Lex asks, gesturing to the table and chairs.

I nod and we walk over, sitting and waiting in silence for a moment. Then:

"How did you meet Clark, Lex?"

"Is this a part of the interview?"

"No, just curiousity."

"Well, Mr. Kent saved my life."

"Mine too."

~

As we await the drinks, Lex and I tell each other how we meet the future superhero.

First, before he starts, he asks if I really know Clark. Yes, I know about his secret, I tell him. He lets out an audible sigh and goes into his tale.

He tells me about his car going into the water and Clark jumping in after him. And how, that day, he became one of three who knew his secret. And he's kept it ever since. Actually, he told him that if he and Lana got serious, to tell her too. And Clark got serious, told her---and Lana accepted him for all he is.

"So, what about you?" Lex asks.

I then regale him with my 17-year-old adventure that almost ended up as a kidnapping---by my mother of all people.

How I had been coming out of a store and was grabbed---how I saw my mother inside of the car, planning to hold onto me until my father had given her enough money to last her for a long time. And how, out of nowhere, a young man pulled me out of her grasp and saved me.

After the police left, as he was about to leave, my father came over and gave him a hug, promising anything that he wanted for saving his little girl. He said he just wanted our friendship. And somewhere during that time, I found out his secret and kept it too. And when he needed a job and had proven himself out of the mailroom, he became one of the best if not the best reporters in the magazine biz---well, except for me.

We stare at each other for a few minutes, contemplating the secret we hold so dear to our heart and finding something in common, besides our rich backgrounds.

We hear a clearing of the throat and are torn away from our gazes.

James smiles at us and places the mugs down. I give him a look. "Whipped cream?" I ask.

"Ah yes, the magic ingredient."

He walks back to the fridge and I look over at Lex, who has an amused look on his face.

"What?"

"Well, you're the first woman I know who's actually got James to do something for her."

"Ah, but sir, I didn't like the others. I do like her though."

I smile at him as he places the canister before me. "Thanks, James. I like you too."

He smiles and leaves us alone.

"Want some, Lex?"

"Yes, I would."

"Okay, here goes---ooops!"

I have to purse my lips from laughing at the man before me---whipped cream on his face.

He takes the can and shakes it. Then I'm squirted by the white foam. As it lands on my cheeks, he doesn't hold back, chuckling at the scene.

"Oh, laugh it up, Fuzzball," I state, getting up and grabbing the can from him.

I spray the top of his head and smile.

He takes it from me and gives me an evil grin.

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Oh, wouldn't I,' he states, making to spray my hair.

Instead, he sprays my cheeks, adding a bit more to the other spray. He places the can down and gets up, walking over to me. Then he leans over and proceeds to lick it off---I gasp at that.

He backs away, a slightly evil smile on his face. I just raise an eyebrow and lean over, licking where I placed the whipped cream; his cheek. Or it was meant to be there.

He shifts and instead, I find my lips on his and than find my arms around his neck.

"Are you ready for me to clean---oh, sorry, Sir."

We both back away and smile at the embarrassed servant. He then looks at me.

"I guess it's time for bed, Chloe."

"I guess so---only problem, I can't sleep."

"Well, maybe we can do something other than sleeping."

"Like playing cards?" I quip.

"Sure, strip poker sounds like fun."

We look at James, who's smiling. "Sir, might I be so bold to call up Ms. Katra and tell her she won't be needed tomorrow night?"

"Thank you, James. And good night."

"Good night, Sir; Ms. Chloe. Have a nice---non-sleep."

We leave the room, hearing a slight laugh from the man left behind to clean the mess we made.

"Maybe we should have a shower first, Lex," I state, as we walk up the stairs, me sliding a finger along my cheek and lapping off the whipped cream found on it.

I hear a slight gasp beside me and I give him a slight grin---hey, I'm a suggestive person at times---so sue me.

"What a good idea," he replies, with a sexy grin, as he leads me to his room and a night of non-sleep.

~

After The Party

The party was incredible. Sure I didn't get much sleep last night---what with the strip poker and some poking of a more intimate kind. But we did take a nap this afternoon, snuggling into the warm down comforter.

Then the preparations of getting ready. I dressed in my room because if I hadn't, we never would have gotten down to the party. I swear we can't keep our hands off of each other.

And it was the same at the party and everybody could see it. My dress was backless and had a slight plunge to it but not too much. It glittered in the lights of the ballroom---black in color, black sequins too. But the backless part was my favorite.

He led me down the stairs, his hand on the small of my back. We stayed close to each other during the night, his sense of humor mesmerizing to all. And I added a quip or two---in particular:

'Lex, this looks like something straight out of---well, where's Kevin Spacey?'

'I invited him but he declined.'

'His loss.'

I let out a sigh, looking around the room, waiting for him to come back from seeing the last person out. Then it hits me; I have to go home tomorrow---to an empty apartment---and my father was going to be out of town for Christmas. So, I was spending Christmas all by myself. I don't want to.

"Chloe?"

I turn around to see Lex standing there, worried. "Lex, can I---?"

He walks up to me. "Chloe, would you like to spend Christmas here?"

I feel a tear go down my cheek. I guess its Christmas that does this too me all the time. Rest of the year, I hold back but with his kind gesture, if I hadn't fallen for him last night, I have now. People are right---love at first sight does happen. It's happened to me, with this wonderful man.

"Chloe, you don't have to stay. It's just a suggestion."

I blink my eyes and stare at his eyes. "You don't want to be alone either."

He puts out his hand to me in answer and I walk over, pulling his hand around my waist and leaning into him. His other encircles me and I hear a sigh from him too.

"Guess that's a yes?" he asks, his voice muffled.

I back away. "No."

"No?"

"Well, yes but it's more than I accept your offer. It's an I accept you, Lex."

"Thanks," he replies with a wry grin. "What did I do to gain such confidence from you?"

"You saw I was in pain and feeling lonely, so you offered me the chance to spend Christmas with you."

"Ah---but I had an ulterior motive. I want to win the money back that you grifted from me last night."

I shake my head and look to the heavens. "God, why do I love this man?"

I sense him moving away from me even more. "What did you just say?"

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and state, "I said I love you."

I open them and find myself alone. God, that was a stupid move---we just met. Why do I always ruin it for myself?

I go over to the couch and sit down, my tears flowing. I've been rejected once more. My mother only wanted me for what I could get her---my father's money. My father doesn't mean too but he's away a lot and I miss him---not quite rejection or abandonment but it still hurts. Now him.

"Chloe?"

I look over to the doorway and see him standing there, holding onto two glasses full of--- "Champagne?"

He walks over and places the flutes on the side table. Then he takes my hands and pulls me into his arms. "I brought it to celebrate our love for each other. I'm sorry---"

"---if I thought you were abandoning me?"

I sense his nod and let out a sigh. I pull back and as we're about to kiss---

"Alexander!"

"Lionel?" I ask, as he grimaces.

"Yes---I didn't invite him to the party. I thought it was time to---"

"---breakaway from Dastardly Daddy?"

He smiles at the nickname. "Yes. I guess I better go toss him out of the mansion again."

"Need help?"

"No, I think I can handle him quite well. Chloe---we'll have two things to celebrate now."

I nod my head, give him a quick kiss, and watch him walk away. Yep, love at first sight really can happen. And I'm betting hate at first sight would happen between Lionel and I.

~

I look around the study, staring at the pictures. I come across a CD player and notice some of his CD's---The Princess Diaries 2? Hmmmm---a birthday present for Lana that she already had and he decided to keep it for himself? Or maybe the song on it gave him the courage to breakaway.

I smile as I pick it up and put it into the CD.

"Chloe."

I turn to see Lex standing there---a little sad. As much as he hates his father, he probably still held onto the fact that he was family---now he can't any longer. I let out a sigh, wanting this interrupted moment a while ago to go on for a bit more.

"Lex, let's have the last dance of the night and then---"

"---we'll talk?"

I nod.

He walks towards me, as I offer my hands and my heart. He takes one hand, as I pick the song and then go into his arms, the music wafting into the air. And him leading me into the dance, with perfect rhythm:

"Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window
Dreamin' of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But, when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I'd pray
I could breakaway

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But, I won't forget all the ones that I love
I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Wanna feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean
Get on board a fast train
Travel on a jetplane, far away
And breakaway

I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway
I won't forget all the ones that I love
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging round revolving doors
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me
But, gotta keep moving on, moving on
Fly away, breakaway

Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye, gotta
Take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway
But, I won't forget the place I come from
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Breakaway
Breakaway"

As the song ends, he pulls away and sighs.

"I've done it!"

"Done what?"

"Broken away. I'm not so sure about Lionel but I have, finally, because of you."

"No, you did it because of you," I reply, with a sad smile. "I'm sorry your father couldn't have been more like mine."

He pulls me back into his arms.

"Maybe I did it because of me but you were a major part of this decision too."

I tighten our hug and let out a sigh. We don't even hear anybody come into the room to turn off the CD. The first notion we have of this other person is somebody wrapping their arms around both of us.

"I do have a father, Chloe, who loves me," I hear Lex's muffled voice say.

"And always will," we both hear James state.

~

The Next Day

Well, got the article done and sent, dropped the old ball and chain, and went shopping. Now, what do you get a man who has everything---or at least finally had, after last night?

We sat up and talked to James for about an hour before we started to yawn. Like two little kids, we were sent packing. Only difference---these two little kids were going to the same room to do very adult things.

Now I'm standing in front of a men's store, grimacing. Wish I had time to go to Metro but I don't.

A woman comes to stand beside me---red hair, a motherly type.

"Chloe."

I turn to look at her. Now I know who she is---just didn't recognize her in the glass. "Mrs. Kent."

She pulls me into a hug and I smile. The mother I should have had.

We break away and my smile widens. She gives me a small kiss on the cheek and we go back to staring at the window.

"So, looking for a present for Lex I take it?"

I nod.

"He's got everything now, you know."

"Yeah, I know. But there's got to be something I can give him."

She turns to look at me as I turn to look at her. "You have; I believe you have given him your heart."

"How?"

"I called him this morning to wish him an early Merry Christmas and he told me everything."

"Everything?" I ask, blushing.

She smiles. "Well, almost everything. Chloe, thank you, for giving him something to look forward too and the strength to break away. If you hadn't been there to offer him a future, he might have stayed in his father's camp and turned evil."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kent."

"You're welcome, my dear. Now---as to the gift; he doesn't have any hats; might you buy him a toque for the winter? Or you might give him something only you can give? Or both?"

I snicker at that.

"What?" she asks.

"Trying to picture Lex going to work with a toque that says 'Made With Love' or with little hearts on it."

She chuckles at that and it hits me.

"I know---get him a hat and write him something from my heart. Thanks, Mrs. Kent."

"All in a days work for the surrogate mother of a once unhappy and unfulfilled man. Well, I must get going. Talk to you later, Chloe."

"Much sooner than later, I hope, Mrs. Kent."

I lean in and whisper, "And nice knowing where the superhero gets all his strength---or some of it."

She backs away. "And I'm glad he has another friend to trust with his secret. Good bye," she states, kissing my cheek and leaving me to go in search of a hat.

Don't need the inspiration for the other---just have to think of his warm smile and I'll be writing.

~

Christmas Morning

"Merry Christmas, L--. Where are you?" I ask, looking over to his side of the bed.

All that's there is a red carnation, my favorite flower. I pick it up, smelling the scent of perfume that he must have borrowed from me on the flower. I smile.

"Romantic man---who could ask for anything more."

I spy a page there too and pick it up.

Didn't want to wake you. Looked so peaceful---like an angel, my angel. I'm downstairs in the study, waiting for you to come down and warm me up, Sweetheart. Don't keep me waiting.

Lover Boy

Geez---man's still got a big ego when it comes to that, even if it is true---he is a lover boy---or in his case, Lover period.

I get up, have a shower and find an early birthday present set out for me---black pants and a purple shirt, with a red pin, signifying Christmas.

I dress quickly and make my way downstairs. I approach the study and open the doors:

"Surprise!"

"Oh my God---Daddy!"

I stand there, stunned by who's in the room.

My father, his arms wide open, is grinning from ear to ear. Lex stands beside him, his smile widening at my surprise. Behind them are the Kents---all of them---even Lana and Clark. And James is standing by the side, a smile on his face too.

"Oh my God---you---you---I didn't expect this."

"Wouldn't have been much of a surprise if you had, Chloe," my father states, walking up to me.

He pulls me into his arms and I hold on tight. We back away and:

"Daddy, was this your idea to surprise me?"

"No, actually, it was Clark and Lana's. See---seems there was a young man who had his eye on you for a long time and they wanted to make him as happy as they are. So, they---"

"You don't need to say anymore. So, where is this young man?" I quip.

"Chloe!"

"Daddy---I know---it's Lex."

"So, what happened?"

"Daddy, I don't kiss and tell."

He touches my cheek and smiles. "You love him."

I let out a quiet sob and nod.

"He's a good man."

I nod.

"I'm happy for you, honey."

A tear rolls down as I nod this time.

"I love you, Daddy. That'll never change."

"I know. And at least I'll see grand kids before I die."

I shake my head and back away more. "So, what are you guys doing here?"

"We hear that the Luthor mansion has great breakfasts," Clark states.

He and Lana walk towards me and pull me into their arms.

"Thanks, guys."

"It worked?" Lana asks.

As they back away, I nod. "Really worked. Oh God!"

"What?" Clark asks.

"My presents---for you guys---back at the apartment. I---"

"We'll get them later. For now, the only present we want is to see you and Lex as happy as we are."

"Well, Merry Christmas, Clark. You got your wish," Lex answers, as he walks up to us.

He places his arm around my waist and I'm pulled in.

"Why didn't you come forward on your own?" I ask.

"Too shy."

"That'll be the day."

"Didn't want to blow this---it was too important a step."

I back away and look up at him. "Now that, I believe. Love you, Sweetheart."

"Love you even more, Sweetheart," he states, leaning down to kiss me.

So what if we've turned into a mushy couple---we've still got our backbones to count on when needed. We will turn as snarky, as dark, as angry, as ballistic, as anybody can ever be, when our loved ones are attacked. He's broken away from his father but he'll never breakaway from his principals, as I never will ever either.

The End of Part 1

PMD
12th April 2005, 19:13
And here's the rest of my muses thoughts on this story. :)

How We Never Met Series - Part 4 - "Breakaway - Part 2" - by PMD

See Disclaimer in Part 1

~

Christmas Eve - 11:00

All have left and we're on our own once more. James has left us in the study, sitting by a roaring fire; planning our future---yes, we're that committed to each other, after knowing the other for such a short time.

I let out a sigh and then I remember something.

"Oh dear lord, I almost forgot."

"What? Sending off the copy of your article?"

"No---I did that the morning after the party. I forgot your other present."

"Chloe---you gave me enough today."

"But this one is even more special---it's something written from the heart. What I didn't put in the article---what's private between the two of us."

"So---where is it?"

I smile at him and get off the couch, walking over to his desk. I take the book he got me for Christmas---an autobiography of Nellie Bly. I smile as I open the book and see the pages there, just below the message from him:

May I always be there to watch the state of Kansas' own Nellie Bly do her best.

Love Lex

I sit beside him once more and turn on the lamp beside me.

"Ready?"

"I don't get to read it silently?" he smirks.

"Well, if you want to read it out loud, by all means."

"Too tired---you read."

I nudge him with my body and then snuggle in close---letting out a quiet sigh---then I start:

The Night That Started A Breakaway From The Ordinary To Love Extraordinary

By Chloe Elizabeth Sullivan

My other piece sent to the magazine was cold and aster. This one is just for a wonderful man---my feelings from the moment I stepped into this castle that's now a home.

I remembered standing at the door, looking around, thinking, this is like a mixture of Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil and Gothics Are Us. I found out it was so much more, the moment he opened that door.

He was witty, he was so handsome---

"Wasn't I though?" he smirks.

"Hey, no ad-libs!"

"Sorry, go on."

He was witty, he was so handsome, but mostly, he was in charge---of his life. Whatever the rhyme or reason of the man, he was in charge. Except for one point---his father. Nobody is perfect I guess.

He was a little too serious for my taste. Okay, so he had the verbal judo down pat---and the sexual innuendo. But one night, I showed him what it was to have fun and from opening those floodgates, he showed me how much of a damn romantic he was---and how good he could be at having fun, although he did lose his shirt at strip poker.

"I let you win!" I hear under his breath.

"Whatever---can I finish?"

"Go ahead."

That night was incredible but more was to come. After the big party, he did the sweetest thing anybody can do for another person---he asked me to stay because he sensed I was in pain---I was lonely. He offered me his pleasant company and his love that night. He offered me the world, the sun, the moon, the stars with that one gesture. And if I wasn't in love with him before, I was now.

Then the monster of Metro showed up and the knight of the castle showed him the door, forever. I remember him coming back in and knowing he had broken away from him, for good.

I had been looking at the music he had and decided we needed a last dance of the night. I chose Breakaway, because he had done that difficult transition for himself ; for his friends and surrogate family.

But that night he found out he did have a father to rely on---a servant who was more than that now for he protected the son as best he could. But he has so much more to rely in his life, beyond his father figure.

He knows now that a life spent alone is no longer an option---never was. He knows now that romance is within his grasp but it's even more than a romance that might fade.

Lex, I know why you asked me to stay---more than me being lonely---I know it was more than you being lonely. It was the fact that both of us have been alone for so long we had to do something drastic to stop it.

This was somebody's plan to get us together---to stop you from looking at me afar. But I had a plan of my own on New Years Eve.

I had watched you from afar too---was envious each time Clark did your party---wanted to go along---just to see you closer in action. But my head kept saying it wouldn't turn out all right. He's like his father---he will kill your heart. But my heart refused to listen.

My plan was to get you to come to magazines' office in the pretense that I had a special copy of the magazine article all framed for you. Then I was going to make sure maintenance had locked us in, with champagne of course. Then I would have taken my heart into my hands and given it to you, as a promise of love, eternal. Would you have scoffed and tormented me? My head said maybe. My heart said no.

From Clark I knew you would be kinder---for when one is kind to you, they get the same in return. But I guess we'll never know that scenario since Clark came through with flying colors, setting us both up this Christmas.

"Well, there's always next year," Lex states, with a wry grin.

"Can I finish?" I quip at him.

"All right, if you must," he sighs out.

Clark and Lana beat me to the punch and I don't mind---just shows what good friends they are to both of us. They want us to be as happy as they are.

This Christmas, we both found what we needed to survive in this world. Not money; not fame; not even Lionels head in a noose.

"Not even that?" he asks.

"Maybe next year," I reply back.

"So, what did we get?"

What we got this year is the greatest gift one can bestow on another---love. Something that gives every day of the year; that helps you survive the ups and downs; that helps you breakaway away from the mundane and the evil surrounding you. Something you can't live without---can't breathe without. A love that came quickly and will stay the rest of our lives, if lucky.

A love that helped you breakaway from your father because you now have something to look forward too---and being with him would only make you look back, at the hurt and heartache he's caused you.

So, on this special night I give to you, my heart, my hand, everything I am. And if you ever ask that special question that women all over the world await with baited breath from the ones they love---I will answer yes.

Just one thing---let's make sure the locks are strong enough to keep your father out.

The End.

I place the sheets on the table before us and look at his face, the flames of the fire dancing in his eyes.

"Chloe?"

"Yes?"

"Too early to ask the question?"

"No but let's leave something for New Years."

"Okay---you better be here at 12:00 midnight."

"Where else would I be. I'll never breakaway from you, Lex. You're stuck with me forever."

"Fine with me," he states, looking at me now.

He leans forward and I lean upwards, as our lips meet. A kiss; a promise, that I never will breakaway and he will never breakaway away from me either.

The End.

asharnanae
12th April 2005, 22:22
oweeeeee!!! so wonderfull!!! Damn, I wish my xmas was like that!! heheh! :D

teejei
12th April 2005, 23:15
"Thanks---I needed to see a whipped man today."ooooo...wait till you see a whipped Lex. hee hee.

...Now get going, before Lana thinks you and I are having an affair behind her back.LoL! *shakes head and smiles ruefully as a she indulges in a CHLARK moment* my former 'ship. *sigh*

He chuckles at that, moving away, so I can enter, bags and all. "Travel light?"

"Yes, I left the piano at home this time."

..."Right now, could you show me to my bedroom."

"Only if you allow me to stay."

I roll my eyes. "Clark wasn't exaggerating about your lack of humor there, Luthor."

His eyebrow raises and he gives me a full-blown smile. "And here I thought you liked me."aaahhh, the beginnings of banter...precious moments, no? :grin:

He walks back to the fridge and I look over at Lex, who has an amused look on his face.

"What?"

"Well, you're the first woman I know who's actually got James to do something for her."

"Ah, but sir, I didn't like the others. I do like her though."and a fic wouldn't be a CHLEX fic if Chloe hasn't endeared herself to the household help. :grin: James now occupies a seat beside the fanfic butler canon that is Enrique.

strip poker and some poking of a more intimate kindi'll never look at playing cards the same way ever again. :nono:

"Alexander!"

"Lionel?" I ask, as he grimaces.

"Yes---I didn't invite him to the party. I thought it was time to---"

"---breakaway from Dastardly Daddy?"Dastardly Daddy?! *pause* *blink* :rofl:

I had watched you from afar too---was envious each time Clark did your party---wanted to go along---just to see you closer in action. But my head kept saying it wouldn't turn out all right. He's like his father---he will kill your heart. But my heart refused to listen.and thank god that heart is as stubborn as its owner. :grin:

This Christmas, we both found what we needed to survive in this world. Not money; not fame; not even Lionels head in a noose.

"Not even that?" he asks.

"Maybe next year," I reply back.Lionel, the butt of most CHLEX jokes. Go Dastardly Daddy! :devil:

Just one thing---let's make sure the locks are strong enough to keep your father out.i'm sure Lex will see to that.

*sigh* this series just keeps getting better and better.

p.s. i think this is the only thread wherein i quoted more than 3 parts of the fic. :shocked: but its just soooooooooo good! couldn't resist not commenting. hee hee. :clapclap:

p.p.s. MORE!!! :worship:

squash
13th April 2005, 07:33
that was sooooooooooooo cute

PMD
13th April 2005, 09:05
Hey Guys:

Asharnanae: Awww----I'm glad you enjoyed it, hon. :) And damn I wish my Christmas was like that too. :)

Teejei: As always, I love when you quote:

1. You want a whipped Lex, heehee---well, my muse is only PG-13/T, sweetie. :( Mabye I could have Chloe whip him at cards again. <g>

2. Awww---glad I could give you a Chlark moment, sweetie. :)

3. Glad you enjoyed the banter---I love doing verbal judo. <g>

4. Glad you enjoyed James---and I so love Enrique. :)

5. And that was only borderline smut sorta, in regards to the poker thing. <g>

6. Glad you liked the moniker for Lionel. Oh, I also know of Monster from Metro or Daddy Not So Dearest---and everybody's favorite---magnificient Bas----! You want to know the ones for Helen?

7. Yep---as stubborn as it's owner. I love when Chloe goes with her heart. :)

8. Heehee---yeah Lionel is often the brunt of the Chlex world, because he's so mean to his son. :(

9. Yeah, Lex will get security too---finally. <g>

Oh yeah, honey, glad you loved it and there is more to come. Next up, Lex has parents who do love him and a brother from outer space. And romance, around the corner.

Squash: So glad you enjoyed it, Hon. More to come, I promise.

autumngold
13th April 2005, 09:48
Thank you so much for the happy, wonderful Chlexy Christmas story!! They are so sweet together!! You do realize, however, that you set yourself up for begging from me for a New Year's story!! Please!! I would love to read how Lex, or Chloe, proposes!!

teejei
13th April 2005, 11:32
1. You want a whipped Lex, heehee---well, my muse is only PG-13/T, sweetie. :( Mabye I could have Chloe whip him at cards again. <g>i meant 'whipped', as in being so in love that he gives in to most [if not all] of Chloe's requests....but another round of strip poker ain't a bad idea, y'know. :blinkkiss

4. Glad you enjoyed James---and I so love Enrique. :)i love him the most in GemKat's Sweet Surrender. very perceptive, persuasive, and persevering. gotta love that butler! :love2:

6. Glad you liked the moniker for Lionel. Oh, I also know of Monster from Metro or Daddy Not So Dearest---and everybody's favorite---magnificient Bas----! You want to know the ones for Helen?oh, yes! do indulge us, please! :P or would you rather incorporate them in a future fic? [that's a good idea, too. :yeahbaby:]

Next up, Lex has parents who do love him and a brother from outer space. And romance, around the corner.thank god Lionel gets to be good...does he get to be scheming, too, in setting up Chloe and Lex? :puppydoge hee hee.

alien brother, huh? sounds good already. :clapclap:

summer_enchanted
13th April 2005, 12:43
:love2:Really love this sweet fic. Love holiday fics. :love2:

PMD
13th April 2005, 20:02
Hey Squash and Summer:

Hey, guys. Squash---glad you enjoyed the piece. Not sure how I could do a sequel to him asking her to marry him on New Years eve cause it was a one-shot deal in the series. Would me doing a great proposal from Lex in another story suffice? <g>

Glad you enjoyed the piece, Summer. :) And I love holiday fics too. :)

Little Miss Vixen
13th April 2005, 20:21
As a huge Star Wars fan, I absolutely adored the use of "Laugh it up, fuzzball." One of the best Han Solo lines ever. This was an excellent and heart felt story, it was gripping, and I couldn't even take my eyes away long enough to see who was IMing me. Wow, you have a real talent for telling great stories, I wish I had half your passion.

PMD
13th April 2005, 20:24
Hey teejei:

Wow---okay here I go. <g>

1. Oh, okay, whipped is good, either way. :) Like Lex could deny anything to chloe, except maybe killing Lionel. That might get him in jail---although justifiable homicide comes to mind too. <g>

2. Oh yeah, I love GemKat's helpful butler. :) He really is Lex's Alfred---without the bat cave or costume---hmmmm---Lex in costume? Okay, mind, get out of the gutter now. <g> Snicker---I know, what's the fun of that. <bg>

3. Names for Dr. Bryce---let's see---Dr. Doom; Hellen, Delusional Doctor, Horrible Helen, Dr. Dull, those are the ones I remember at the moment---anybody else think of something more? :) And I think I might be able to find a fic I did, in regards to her. :) Can't make any promises but I'll go looking. <bg>

4. Ah---not Lionel or Lillian this time around---they come in later. :) Actually, I went with the Kent's adopting Lex after his father died. And now you know who the brother is. <g> Seriously, I've always wanted to do a story like this. And I finally did. :)

Little Miss Vixen
13th April 2005, 20:26
TWOP I think called Helen, Dr. Dropkick.

PMD
13th April 2005, 20:29
Awww, Padme---I'm so glad you enjoyed the Star Wars reference---heehee---Lionel as---wait, he ended up being a good guy in the end. Okay---bad guy who's still the bad guy in Star Wars? Glad you enjoyed the piece and thank you for the compliment, sweetie---I try. I think of myself as okay, compared to some of the writers here, though. They truly amaze and inspire us all---all the writers here. And the readers are top notch too. And nice one for Dr. Doom. <g>

PMD
14th April 2005, 06:43
Hey Summer:

Awwww---glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :) More in the series to come---beyond number 5 that is. :)

starmoon
14th April 2005, 22:33
that was soooo sweet. i just loved this story.

PMD
15th April 2005, 10:46
Hey starmoon:

Glad you enjoyed the story, sweetie. :)

~*~Tasha~*~
13th June 2006, 08:58
Awww ... beautiful, sweet and touching. Very romantic and sappy, Peggy.

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 17:58
one word: sweet

Ami Rose
2nd June 2013, 04:45
one word: sweet

Sweet