PDA

View Full Version : How We Never Met Series - Part 3 - The Artist Within (PG-13/T)

PMD
10th April 2005, 05:03
Here you go, guys. :) Number 3 in the series. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 3 - "The Artist Within"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/T (for language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, slightly Clana, Futurefic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville.

Summary: Lex finds the artist within, with the care and compassion of a certain blonde artist.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Beethoven, and Bruce Wayne, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SFF_2005, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site for the moment. Anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Here you go, Guys. Part 3 of the series, with at least three more to come. Special thanks goes out to David, for checking this puppy over. And I changed that one thing that was icking you out, dude. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 3 - "The Artist Within" - by PMD

Prologue:

Once, when I was 16, I was brought down a notch by a 10-year-old whose ability to see the world through paints and charcoal amazed me. And still does to this day. But equally amazing, she likes me.

~

The Past

"Come on, Davis, it'll be fun."

"No, Lex. I've got to go home and get ready. My parents are taking me to the opera tonight and thus, Mother wants to take me to find another suit."

I snicker at that. "What a wimp."

"Hey, one day you might turn into one too."

"A wimp?"

"No---a cultured person."

"Yeah, whatever. Go on, wimp---I hear your Mommy calling you."

He slaps me on the back and is off and running.

"Hey?"

I look across the early morning city street and see this young kid, with a sketchpad.

"Mind, moving a little to the left---you're blocking my view of the building."

I walk across the street. "Building----you're doing a sketch of the building when you could be sketching me?"

"Are you 10 or a 16 year old?"

"16," I answer.

"What is it with some 16 year olds? They get to that age and you have to wonder---with some of their pompous attitudes---how do they reach 17?"

I sit beside her. "Attitudes? Pretty big word for a---what---10 year old?"

"I had to grow up fast---my mother left us."

My smile disappears as I watch her look away. "I'm sorry."

She looks back, a quiet desperation in her eyes. I want to take it away. But I need more information. "She didn't---"

"No---she just walked away."

I give her a sad smile. "My mother died when I was around your age."

She puts down her pad and moves closer. "I'm sorry. You must miss her very much."

"Yeah, I do. Especially when she's not around to buffer my father."

"Asshole?"

"That about says it. Hey, I don't even know your name? And why is a young kid like you outside of my father's building this early in the morning?"

She puts out her hand. "Hi, my name is Chloe Sullivan. As to being outside of the building---my father's visiting an old friend in the building---who's not your father, since you must be a Luthor, if this is your father's building."

I chuckle at that and shake her hand. "Yeah, Dad doesn't have any friends---least of all---"

"---his son," she finishes, taking her hand away.

Before I can comment on her astuteness, a man walks out. "Chloe--time to go."

"Yes, Daddy. Nice meeting you, Mr. Luthor."

"Lex, please."

She rips a piece of paper off her pad and hands it to me. "Here you go, Lex. Hold onto it---from what my father and others say it might be worth something, years from now. Bye."

She gets up and gives me a quick hug, before picking up her pad and joining her father.

I look down and see a picture of myself smiling back at me. I look up and watch her enter a car. She winks at me and then they're gone. It's worth something now, because she's showed me that I can be happy.

~

Several Years Later

I'm sitting in my study, anxiously awaiting the visit of a really good friend.

Over the years, Chloe and I have become closer and closer. I'd gone to her first opening when she was but a lass of 13 and all the other's when I was in town. She's come to Smallville a few times and gotten to know my friends. Still, she preferred to spend time with me, alone.

It's funny how I got from being an obnoxious teenager to a well thought out man, because of her. She saved me---she nurtured me; she buffered me when dealing with Dad. Trust me on this---the first time she met him, she walked right up and told him how she thought he should treat me. Didn't work but at least he knew where he stood with her and she said he was more than an asshole---he was a bastard, moron, and so dense, he couldn't find his way out of a fog patch.

"Sir, she's here."

"Let her in, James."

I look up. A smile on my face deflates, when I watch Lana walk in. "Did I forget a meeting, Lana?"

"No---just wanted to see Chloe and ask if she wanted to go have a cup of coffee before the recluse keeps her to himself."

She sits on the chair on the other side my desk and gives me an impish smile. Then it broadens. "Oh my God!"

"What?"

"I never thought I would live to see the day but I'm so happy that I did."

"What???"

"You love her. You've fallen in love with your best friend, like I did with mine. Oh, Lex. I'm so happy for you."

I watch her jump up and run over to my side, giving me a sisterly hug around the neck. I never could hide much from the two women in my life. I smile at this and chuckle.

"Hey, can I join in this hugfest?"

We both look in the direction of the voice and I let out a gasp. Lana backs away, thinking that she's choking me but she smiles and knows why. It's the vision before me.

The artist can create a canvas to make a person weep. But right now, the creation created by God makes me sigh.

She's wearing black tailored pants, a purple blouse, and a black tailored coat over it. But it's her eyes that mesmerize me. They're a hazel that is comforting and intoxicating, at the same time.

Lana moves away. "Hey, Chloe."

"Hey, Lana."

She moves to the middle of the room, meeting me halfway. I get up and am by her side in a matter of seconds, pulling her into a hug.

She backs away and leans up, whispering. "So, why'd you miss my last opening?"

I chuckle at that. "Well, some of us have to work."

She shakes her head. "Why do I even put up with you, Alex?"

"Because you like me?"

"Must be."

She looks beyond me, smiling. "So, Lana, how's the coffee house doing?"

"It's busy---which is why I must leave. You two---come to dinner tomorrow night. Clark and I want to hear all about your adventures, Chloe."

Chloe looks at me and I smile. She looks beyond once more. "We'll be there."

I turn around in time for Lana to walk up to us, enveloping Chloe and I in a hug. Then she's gone and we're alone.

"Alex?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for allowing me to sketch the outside of the mansion."

"Like I could deny you anything."

She gives me my classic smirk. "That's true. But thanks anyway. So---"

"Now, you want to start now?"

"No, dumbass. It looks like it's going to rain. Tomorrow is soon enough. So---let's go watch a movie or talk."

"Talking is good. Come on," I reply, leading her to the couch.

And for the next few hours, we find out what's been going on in our lives and I find myself falling deeper in love with her, if that's possible. But does she feel the same way?

~

The Secret Room

It's time for bed and I lead her upstairs, hearing a yawn and feeling her stretching behind me.

I'm walking towards her room when I sense her stopping. I turn around.

"What's wrong?"

"I was wondering---what's in here, Lex? The last time I was here, I tried the door and it was locked. Got the bodies of your ex-wives or enemies in there, maybe?"

I give her an evil smile. "Actually, it's a big hole to bury my father in, when he gets to be a real pain in the butt."

"So, why haven't you used it yet?" she verbals back.

"Waiting for you to show up and be my alibi, Sullivan."

"Alex---please tell me."

I walk up to her, rummaging in my pockets. I bring out the key. "Okay, I'll show you what's in here. That way you won't die from curiousity."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," I state, as I put the key in the lock and open it up.

I turn on the light and she lets out a gasp. "It's my work---my earlier work."

She walks in and looks around. Then she turns to look at me. "You bought it all---why?"

"I'm a patron of the arts and I like your work. I did stop buying as much when it caught on, though. Just thought you needed a little push."

"Hmmmm---"

She turns away and walks towards a certain sketch. "I didn't do this one; or this one. Or this one. Who's the artist?"

"Look and see."

She leans into one and backs away. "Alex, you did this?"

I walk over as she turns around, a smile on her face. "Yes, I did."

"Well, you have an incredible talent. When did you do these?"

"I started about a year after I met you."

"Why didn't you do a show? I'm sure your fathers money---oh, don't say it. Your father thought it was a waste of time and told you to stop."

I nod my head.

"He'd probably tell Beethoven to stop composing if he was his son. That man has got blinders on when it comes to business. I'm so sorry, Alex. A talent is a terrible thing to waste. But you know, I've got some room in my next showing---how about we make it a collaboration of talents."

"I don't think---"

"Don't think; do!"

"Chloe, I'm not like you. I have to think about the consequences before I do something."

"Oh, so Alexander Luthor is a procrastinator. Gee, I wonder what else he's held back, because he's had to think about it. Maybe kissing a girl?"

"No, I never had a problem with that," I lie.

She arches an eyebrow and then walks away from me. She looks around the room and stops, suddenly. "Oh my God. You did this picture of the mansion. It's---it's you and me in front of it and---"

She turns around to look at me. Her smile is questioning at first and I try to keep a poker face. Then it brightens, as she walks up to me and gets on her toes. She gently kisses my lips.

"Better than what looks on the canvas?" she asks, backing away.

"Almost," I state, pulling her back into a passionate one.

She backs away again and takes my hand, leading me out of the room, allowing me to close and lock the door to a secret only the two of us know; a sketch I did of a future I want to have with her.

~

A Few Hours Later

She's sleeping, letting out a sigh, once in a while. I've tired her out but me, I'm so keyed up, I can't sleep.

I watch her breathing---listen to her wispy whimper, every few minutes. I can't get bored watching her---she's just so beautiful. And I want to sketch her right now.

I slide out of bed and go over to my desk. I take the pad off it and grab a pencil. Then I make my way back and sit on top of the sheets, opening the pad and sketching the beauty lying there, her hair fanned over the pillow. A slight smile is on her face and her lips are parted and bruised from my kissing them.

I sketch---the moonlight streaming from the window, giving me enough light to see and sketch her. Until she moves and lies on her side. Damn!

I sit there for a moment, wondering if I should pull her back or not.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" I hear a sleepy voice say.

"You're awake?"

She turns back to look at me. "Lex, you are not that silent when you go find something."

"Oh, sorry."

"It's okay---I had to get up in 5 hours anyway. So---let me see."

"The sketch?"

"No---your father. Of course the sketch. Come on---give."

"It's not finished."

"Perfectionist, eh?"

"No---a perfectionist would have a better girlfriend."

She raises her eyebrow at that remark and then looks away. "Yeah, I guess I can drive a perfectionist to looking for a girl like Lana."

I touch her arm and she looks back. "Lana has a fiancé and even if she didn't, she's not my type. She's a sister to you and me. However, I have no sisterly feelings for you. Here, look if you must."

I pass it over to her and she puts it into the moonlight and smiles. "God, you have such a talent, Lex. The angels would weep to see this and all your work. You and I will do that show one day and show your father a thing or two. But for now---come to bed."

She places the pad on the side table and I get into bed, pulling her close to me. I close my eyes and sleep finally takes over my body, even the artist within.

~

Two Years Later - Metropolis Art Gallery

"Lex, you look like you're about to throw up?"

I turn to look at Clark, with a slight smile.

"Yeah, well, I think I look like you before you took your first flight."

"Well, here's hoping you don't have the same reaction because I did throw up---just that it didn't hit the ground. Man, I can't believe one of my gifts is flight considering---"

"---you don't like to fly," I finish for him. Then I let out a gasp, sucking in the bile as I see who's coming towards us. "What is my father doing here?"

"I invited him," I hear a voice behind me answer.

I turn to look at my wife. "Chloe!" I growl.

"Hey, we want to show him what a talented son he has, don't we?"

"Rubbing it in his face? What if it backfires and nobody buys a piece?"

She puts her arm in mine and smiles. "Not going to happen. I hear that Bruce Wayne wants to buy the bridge one you did. I told him it was a special place for you---that you were saved by one of your other best friends there. He knew he had to buy it then. By the way, he wondered if you would like to sketch a certain alley for him---just remember to put a red rose there."

"Ah---where his life ended tragically and his new life of saving began," I whispered to her. "Tell him I will, no charge."

She smiles at me and then gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Lex, why am I here at the art gallery?"

I back away from the sign and he glares at it. "A showing by you and the slut---how quaint."

"Ah---I believe you called the wrong woman slut," I state, watching as my stepmother, Victoria, walk towards us.

"Really, Lex. You must get past this animosity for your step-mother."

"As long as you call my wife a slut, I'll call her one too. Come on, Chlo---let's see how the show is doing. Going to join us, Clark?"

"Yes, it would be nice to get some fresh air and find my wife too."

We walk in, leaving my father and his not so nice wife in the lurch.

~

A Few Hours Later - The Condo in Metropolis

We're back home, getting ready for bed, having said goodnight to our overnight guests, Clark and Lana. They're going to start back tomorrow for Smallville but tonight, we insisted they stay. Like we want Clark to be picked up as a UFO or them driving and ending up dead, because they're dog-tired.

I'm in bed, waiting for me wife, exhausted, but happy. We showed my father---so much so that he left after a half an hour, beet red because of the praise we were getting. And the money for what was sold---the Metropolis and Smallville orphanages are going to have a great Christmas this year.

"Lex?"

I look at her, walking in, and think, how lucky I am to have seen her all those years ago---and stopped to talk. Would we be here right now, if I hadn't?

"Lex, I have something for you."

She's by the bed now and pulls something from behind her back. "A new sketch?" I query.

She nods her head and hands it to me. She then gets into the bed and snuggles close to me.

"Remember that picture you sketched that told me how much I meant to you?"

"Yes," I reply, remembering it like it was yesterday.

It was a picture of the mansion, with her and me, kissing in front of it. And a child looking on.

"Well, open this up and you'll know why I mentioned it."

With her help, the wrap is off in seconds and I let out a gasp. I turn to look at her.

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

I look at the sketch, almost the same as the one I had done except for one major difference---she's pregnant.

I look at her again and smile. "Nice way of telling me we're going to have a baby."

"Who's going to have a baby?" she snarks at me.

"Okay---you are having it but we created it together and I promise to have sympathy pains all the way through it."

"Oh yeah, that's going to be funny to watch. 'Sorry, gentlemen, but I've got to go have my hourly pee.'"

I chuckle at that. "Well, maybe only at home. Chloe---guess I kind of jumped the gun with mine, eh? Maybe we can do a wall of our life in sketches."

She smiles at me. "That would be wonderful. But for now, this artist within would love to just snuggle with her husband's artist within."

"Whatever my lady wants, I'll give to her. For she has given me the family I've always wanted and protected me from the family I never wanted."

"My pleasure," she replies, leaning up to kiss me.

As I place the sketch on the table, I turn to look at her, seeing her already asleep. I smile; so many women before always waited for me to drop off---scared of me or the myth behind me. She never was and I'm so amazed that it happens, every time.

A soft kiss on the cheek and the man and the artist within, thanks God for this miracle, before heading off to dreamland, wondering, will I have a son to teach how to play hockey. Or a daughter, to protect from the men coming to pick her up on dates. Either way, we'll both teach them to help people and how to sketch out their life in pictures, like we have done. For the artist within, will never be chained, like my father tried to do. And what saved me---my love, and friends, who are always by my side---as I am by theirs too.

The End.

Krysia
10th April 2005, 05:32
You made me cry, but since it was a good cry I forgive you ;) I'm not sure what I loved more Lex telling Chloe he loves her through a sketch, Chloe telling him she's pregnat or the fact that he has a sketch of the bridge marking the begining of his new life, [and I loved the Batman reference as well] It's a tie.
I can just imagine their child/children looking through all the sketches their parents made over the years better than any fairytale. I love the way they brought Lionel down a notch or ten. This story is my favourite! Wonderfull story

PMD
10th April 2005, 07:23
Hey Krysia:

Okay, been having a rough week with discussing another show and you know, this made my day.:) Thanks for the feedback, sweetie. :) Just don't let the kids get any jam on the pictures. :)

meghan036
10th April 2005, 07:49
Your fics are so filled with emotion that I always have an overwhelming erg to cry :). Chloe’s and Lex’s relationship is so beautiful, their so perfect for one another. Another wonderfully amazing fic. Keep up the good work. :)

PMD
10th April 2005, 08:16
Hey Meg:

Don't fight the urge---it's always happy tears, right? :) Just like I have when I sometimes write stories. Glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. Next up---in the Holiday section---aisle one---magazine article, written by Chloe Sullivan, on the Christmas party of the season at the Luthor mansion---Lionel not invited. :) But all others are. :)

asharnanae
10th April 2005, 17:28
oh man, I love this one!! and they are both artist!!!!!! YAY!! art and love, fantastic! Damn, it made me smile so much! :D

PMD
10th April 2005, 19:21
Hey Asharnanae:

Awww---glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. :) Hmmmm----do a real abstract of Lionel with horns on the top of his head. :: heehee :: Muse loopy today, I guess. :)

autumngold
10th April 2005, 21:40
I'm so glad that Lex showed his father how good he was!! Chloe and Lex are so wonderful together!! Poor Lionel stuck with Victoria, they deserve each other!! Great story!!

PMD
11th April 2005, 01:57
Hey Autumn:

Yeah, he really did show how good he was. :) And I've always throught, right from Kinetic and that little interview that wasn't finished, they were so right together. :) Well, at least in fanfic we have it. <g> And it was a tossup between Victoria or Helen. :) Glad you enjoyed it sweetie. :) Next up, a Christmas party and two people meeting for the first time, which turns out to be---okay, not saying anything more. :)

starmoon
12th April 2005, 01:59
loved every minuet of it.

teejei
12th April 2005, 18:46
again, a great job. :) very heartwarming and it feels so...real. nothing too over-the-top or too formulaic [did i just use that word?! :grin:].

and here's my fave part...

I look at her again and smile. "Nice way of telling me we're going to have a baby."

"Who's going to have a baby?" she snarks at me.

"Okay---you are having it but we created it together and I promise to have sympathy pains all the way through it."

"Oh yeah, that's going to be funny to watch. 'Sorry, gentlemen, but I've got to go have my hourly pee.'"

i just love married CHLEX banter...especially the particular brand of snark that a pregnant Chloe dishes out. :love2:

PMD
12th April 2005, 19:31
Hey Teejei:

Awww---I'm glad you loved the story, sweetie. :) I've always had an affinity to married and Chlex with Children, mostly for Lex's part---he needs to know he's not his father and that people will love him, for himself. And Chloe---she needs somebody as strong and snarky as she is. Yep, Lionel better not come around when she's pregnant---hormones and other things might have him ending up hurt pretty badly---it not physically, mentally. <g>

Next up, in the holiday section---a Christmas to remember, fondly, for years to come. And Chloe---rich you say? <g>

summer_enchanted
13th April 2005, 00:47
:) Can't believe I just found this story...it's great:love2::love2:

squash
13th April 2005, 01:53
that was uber cute

PMD
13th April 2005, 08:46
Hey Summer and Squash:

Okay, my favorite vegetable with your two names. <g>

Summer: I'm so glad you enjoyed this piece, sweetie. :) More in the series of stories to come, sweetie. :)

Squash: I'm glad you found it uber cute, sweetie. :)

~*~Tasha~*~
22nd June 2006, 01:57
This was wonderfully described and beautiful in every way. Thank you for making my day with this one, Peggy.

Ami Rose
22nd January 2007, 15:50
Absolutly loved it! That was great!

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 17:44
Great idea...I wonder: can Lex really draw (in the series I mean)?