PDA

View Full Version : How We Never Met Series - Part 1 - When Lex Met Chloe (PG-13/FRT)

PMD
6th April 2005, 22:56
This is several answers as to how Chloe and Lex might have met. All are separate and apart from each other but my muse definitely hasn't finished with this series---she have a very vivid imagination. :) Thanks to Tee who wanted to see it. Enjoy

Title: How We Never Met Series - Part 1 - "When Lex Met Chloe"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/FRT - Fan Rated Suitable For Teens

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Clana, Chloe and Lex's POV, alternate reality AU

Spoilers: Anything from Smallville is fair game. Even though it's an alternate telling, some things are different and yet some stay the same.

Summary: A vacation at a cottage turns into more.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, it's characters, a version of the title gotten from When Harry Met Sally, the Polar Ice Cap, the Devil, and the song lyrics to When You Lie Next To Me, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SFF_2005, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is the beginning of a series of alternate ways that Chloe and Lex could meet. I dedicate this first one to David and Charlie, for their constant support. And to Kris, who inspired me to write outside of the box. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 1 - "When Lex Met Chloe" - by PMD

Chloe's POV

I'm sitting and waiting for my best friend from camp to arrive. Lana Lang---she really could talk your ear off. The kids teased her but they met my attitude quickly and never did it again. And I taught her some of that attitude too.

I get up and start pacing. Then I hear a car horn---she's here, with her boyfriend, Clark. He's going to be staying in the cabin that goes with our cottage.

I get up and run outside, just in time to see her get out of the back of a very nice sports car.

"Chloe!" she yells.

She runs towards me, almost bowling me over. But I keep straight and have to laugh at her enthusiasm.

She backs away. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," I state, giving her my trademark smile.

"Clark, are you sure you want to stay up here for the week?"

"After that reaction, I'm a little afraid."

Lana turns around and I swear I see the two men cringe in their boots.

I look at the dark-haired one and smile---he's got to be Clark. Lana had always dreamed about a guy with dark hair and instinctively, I knew this was he; this was her Clark; this was her dream come true.

I look beyond him and see a bald man with twinkling blue eyes and a smile that would melt the Polar ice cap. Lana had mentioned that the son of the man my father works for was going to give them a ride up. I give him a stunning smile back and he's a little startled but catches himself quickly, giving it back to me once more.

I turn my attention to Clark.

"Hello, Clark."

"Nice to meet you, Chloe."

Then I turn my attention back to the other man.

"Lex Luthor, I presume?"

"Ms. Chloe Sullivan, of the Luthorcorp Sullivans, I presume?"

I nod my head and then lean into Lana. "You never told me he was so good looking."

"Back off---he's mine!"

"Not Clark---Lex."

"Lex? Good looking?" She stares at him. Then she looks back at me and gives me a wicked smile. "Hmmmmm---"

"Back off---you've got Clark."

Her eyes soften. "You really like him and yet you've just met him."

"Sometimes it happens like that, Lana."

"Well, it did with me and Clark and look where we are."

"Two separate places to sleep?" I snicker.

"Yeah, but that's only because we're waiting for our wedding night."

I let out a scream, and hug her. Eventually, the clearing of a throat causes us to back off.

"Would the young lady care to show me where I can put my bags?" I hear Lex breathe out in his sexy voice.

"Bags? Are you staying?" I ask, mystified.

"For the weekend---I thought I would take a break from work."

Okay, heard about the Luthor work ethic and I think Hell just froze over with this mini-vacation that Lex had planned. Ah well, big cabin with bedrooms off the main room---he won't have to listen to snoring, if Clark snores, or visa versa for Clark.

"Chloe?" brings me out of my thoughts.

I look at him again, and see an impish smile. "Sure, come on, Baldy---I'll show you where you can stow your gear," I reply.

I walk towards him and we make our way to the cabin.

"Sorry about that with Lana. It's just been so long since I've seen her that---"

"I totally understand about friends. It's okay."

We're at the cabin now and we stop. "Well, this is it. Clark should be here in a minute, I guess---that is if Lana---"

"----lets him go," he finishes.

Then an awkward moment, until, "Well, I'll see you for dinner?"

I nod my head and then hear a rustle of the grass.

"Hey, Guys. Wow; nice cabin."

~

Lex's POV

I get out of my car, looking at the surroundings, and watching Lana run over to a blonde sprit, ecstatic to see her. I smile inwardly and then sigh, when she backs away to let me get a closer look at her friend. Oh my God, she's gorgeous.

I make a joke to Clark about wondering if he'll survive those two. After all, my normal hearing was getting a workout---his super hearing---Lana squeal would be the equivalent of a high pitched sound that might hurt a dogs ears. But he said he would be fine.

Lana gives us both a glare that makes us cringe. She might be little but she's a real dynamo. And I've got this feeling her beautiful friend is too.

She looks at Clark and then at me. Why haven't I met this woman before---I mean her father works for mine but then I stay away from my father, like the plague. He's my number one enemy---he's the reason I started LexCorp and make Smallville my home not Metro. Although I might think about going in more now, if she's there in the city.

I smile at her and then am startled when she gives one back at me. Usually women just melt and give me a shy one back but this one, she's giving it to me full force. Finally, I give her a smile again and introduce myself, as does she to me, with a nod.

Then she whispers to her friend and a few minutes later, is screaming and hugging her; Lana must have told her that Clark and she are getting married. It's only my clearing of my throat that stops this excitement.

I ask her where I can put my bags and she's mystified, not knowing that I want to stay the weekend for a mini-vacation. She zones out and I have to bring her back again, with her first name. She then takes me to the cabin. There's an awkward moment, after we arrive, until I mention dinner. And then Clark appears, sprouting praise on the cabin,

Now, she's gone and I feel like a part of me has left too. How could this happen so fast? It shouldn't for me---it never has before. It's like I know her and yet, I've never met her before today.

"You like Chloe."

I turn to look at Clark, who is leaning against the frame of my bedroom door. "What?"

"I'll rephrase that. You love her, for some odd, cosmic, incredible reason."

"What are you talking about, Clark? Is this one of those 'wanting everybody to be happy like we are' things?"

He walks in as I close the drawer. "Look what you're doing? You're only planning to stay for the weekend and yet you're putting your clothes away. That means you might stay longer because you want to be near her longer."

"Or maybe I really need a vacation and the lapping of the lake is something I miss."

He places a hand on my arm. "Lex, it's okay to admit that you feel something for her---she won't run away, if my X-ray vision is any indication."

I sit on the bed. "She likes me too?"

"I knew it!" he states, sitting down beside me. "And yes, she really likes you."

"I hate feeling like a school boy who wants to ask the Prom Queen out."

"Yeah, I did too. But look what it got me---a wonderful woman who's agreed to marry me."

"And I've got a great business partner," I reply, with a slight smile. "And maybe---"

"---a girl who might be as important as we two are to you."

I steal a glance at my watch. "Come on, Clark, we better get going. Dinnertime."

He gets up and walks towards the door. "See you in a minute?"

"Yes, you will," I answer, as he closes the door.

He's right; she is becoming as important to me as they are. And if it weren't for Lana insisting I take some time off, I would never have met her. I'll have to make sure she and Clark get a great wedding gift from me---and hopefully---I'll have Chloe coming to the wedding as my date.

~

Chloe's POV

Lana and Clark have headed off for a walk while Lex declined the invitation. And me being the hostess, I can't leave him alone, can I?

We make our way outdoors, to watch the setting sun and listen to the loons. The sad call of theirs makes me sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"They sound so sad."

"The loons? No---it's not really a sad call as much as a call out to their mate. Or letting somebody know that they're alive. I know sad calls."

I turn to look at him. "You do? Not exactly the best family, I guess."

"My mother killed my brother in order to protect him from my father. And my father hates me with a passion---because he thought I did it."

"Why does he think you did it?"

"I led him to believe it was me who did it, not my mother. I'm strong enough to deal with his hatred; my mother wasn't. So, to her dying day, he never knew it was her. And he never will."

"He won't hear it from my lips. You know something."

"What?"

"I think this has been a lucky day for me because of meeting you, Lex. And I count myself even luckier because you passed on a confidence to me. And now one from me; my mother hates me. She left when I was five and the only reason she ever comes back is to get money from my father or from me. So, maybe we should hook her up with your Dad and they might kill each other."

He chuckles at that thought, just before putting his arm around my shoulders. "I'm lucky today too, for meeting you. And if it's permissible---I would like to ask one thing of you."

I back away and notice a twinkle in his eyes. "What's up your sleeve, Luthor?"

"Well, I was wondering if I could stay the week. I pretty much can handle things from here, with my laptop."

"Yes, you may"

He leans in and whispers, "Thank you."

This causes a shiver from me.

"Cold?" he asks.

"Yeah, a little," I lie.

"Let's go in then," he replies, leading me into the cottage to wait for Lana and Clark.

~

Lex's POV

Thursday

It's been a whirlwind couple of days, filled with swimming, skiing, sunbathing, at least on the part of the girls. Me; sunbathe---bald man sunbathing---like that's going to happen. And then the customary shopping in the local shops nearby.

Chloe and I left those two to check out some of the dress shops---for some reason, this girl is an oddity. She'd rather check out the local museums than the shoe or dress shops. And I didn't mind that at all.

And most women I went out with wanted me for the money that I could spend on them or the prestige they got for being seen with me. Not even one red cent of mine passed over to her side of the fence; she paid her own way. And when people stared at us, because of me, she just glared back and they looked away.

Today, we checked out the record shops and I found some great classical music. She found some recent stuff and now, we're making our way back to the car.

"Lex?"

"Yes?" I ask, starting the car and moving onto the road.

"I know how you know Lana---you being her partner and all. But do you know Clark because of her or the opposite way around?"

"Did I become a partner with her after I knew Clark?"

"Yeah."

"Why do you want to know?"

"Call it a reporter's curiousity."

I stop the car suddenly and she glares at me. "What's your problem, Luthor?"

"Damn it! I knew this was too good to be true!"

She looks at me. "What do you mean too good to be true?"

My glare softens and I let out a sigh. "Every time I think I've found somebody who likes me for me, I'm out of luck."

"You think I want you for your money? I thought we established that I'm not."

"Yes, but you just said you had a reporter's curiousity about my relationship with Clark and how it started."

She lets out a sad sigh. "I'm sorry---force of habit using that phrase. I'm interested in how you meet my friend and her fiancee---that's all. I won't be sending the story to The Daily Planet---I promise."

I place a hand over hers, giving her a slight grin. "I'm sorry---I guess I jumped to conclusions. Well, in answer to your question, I was a friend with Clark first. He saved my life."

"He did?"

"Yes, I was mad at my father for sending me to Smallville and I was reckless and drove off the bridge. Clark saved me by jumping in and getting me out of my car."

"A hero saving another hero."

"I'm no hero."

She takes off her belt and moves closer to me. "Yes, you are. You helped Lana start a business when you could have said no. You've been friends with Clark and kept a pretty big secret, if my reporter's instincts are dead bang on. And, you actually tolerate me pretty well. Most guys run from me---you stay. That makes you a pretty big hero in my books."

I lean in and whisper, "Most men are idiots, Chloe. If they knew what a find you are, I would be protecting what's mine 24/7."

I back away to see if she catches my drift. Her smile widens and then she turns serious. "You know, anybody else, I would kick their butt for being possessive. But then, I don't love them."

She leans closer and kisses me, letting it deepen quickly. We have to back away, eventually. I smile at her and she returns it, getting back in her seat.

"Think Clark and Lana would mind being in the cabin tonight?" I ask her.

"Doesn't matter---they're not going to be in the cottage tonight. They would blush from the sounds we'll be making."

I chuckle at that and then turn serious. "Why'd this happen so fast?"

"Sometimes you get struck by lightning, Lex. Don't question when love comes knocking at the door to your heart---accept it as a gift that will be forever dwelling there. Now, put the pedal to the metal and let's get home to have some fun."

"Yes ma'am," I state, with a grin.

~

Chloe's POV

It's early Friday morning. Clark and Lana are both in the cabin, as predicted, and Lex---I'm snuggling against him, in my bed. The water is lapping against the shore and I let out a sigh of contentment, humming softly to myself. Then it hits me; he said he had to go home today for a meeting. I sigh, sadly.

"Sweetheart?" a deep voice asks.

I look up. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No. What's wrong?"

I back away, moving to turn on a lamp. "Oh not much. Finally met the man of my dreams and he's leaving today."

He pulls me back against him, letting out a sad sigh too. Then I feel his optimism. "Well, you could come and stay in Smallville for the rest of the summer."

"Can't---I have a job at The Planet."

"You could ditch it."

I back away. "Please say you're kidding."

He nods. "You could come up on the weekends or I could go there."

"And meet up with your father?"

"Oh, yeah, the Devil himself. That would ruin the mood, wouldn't it?"

I nod now. "Lex, what are we going to do?"

"Well, I can call you every day and we can e-mail. And we can chat over the computer and---God, I'm missing you now and we're not even gone from each other's arms yet."

"Yeah, love is grand, until you're separated from the one you love."

The sadness is there again and I feel the need to lighten it, for a minute. I start humming again, not so softly this time.

"What's that?"

I snuggle close to him again. "A song I heard today." Then without asking, I start to sing it, letting all my emotions loose in this wonderful song:

"Maybe tonight
We could close the door and lock ourselves inside
Take time to feel
I don't want to miss the chance to be so real
The days will fly away and I forget the truth
Everything that matters is in this room

When you lie next to me
Breathing the air I breathe
We don't have to speak
Just be
Love is a precious thing
Don't want to waste a day
One more minute
Without you in it
Life is so sweet
When you lie next to me

My heart is yours
Every part of me wants to give you more
More time to love
'Cause you never know when life will leave us
I want to take in all the beauty here
Let the world around us just disappear
(The world around us just disappears)

When you lie next to me
Breathing the air I breathe
We don't have to speak
Just be
Love is a precious thing
Don't want to waste a day
One more minute
Without you in it
Life is so sweet
When you lie next to me

When you lie next to me"

I feel the tears now, and he kisses the top of my head.

"Chloe we'll find a way---that song will remind us that we will always love each other and eventually be together."

I nod my acceptance and lean over, turning off the light, before we do the age-old dance again. After, we both fall asleep in each other's arms, leaving the world behind for a few short hours.

~

They're all packed and out by the car. Clark gives me a quick hug and then allows Lana to tearfully say goodbye.

"Chloe---you and Lex will be together before you know it."

"Thanks, and thanks for being my friend. And Clark?"

He walks back to Lana and I. "Yes?"

"Thanks for taking a chance with me this morning and telling me the big secret."

"How could I not. I trust you because I trust Lana and Lex. And they certainly vouched for you---although I think Lex did even more. Chloe, he loves you---more than he's ever loved any woman, besides his mother."

"I know---I love him too," I whisper to the both of them.

They back away and Lana has this look in her eyes. She leans back in and whispers to me. My eyes widen and then I smile. She backs away again and I nod, not letting the cat out of the bag. She and Clark walk away.

"What's that about?" I hear from behind me.

"Well, if we wanted you to know, we would have not whispered it to each other, Luthor."

He chuckles at that and walks around, to be in front of me. "I'm going to miss your snark, Sullivan."

"I'm going to miss yours and you, Lex," I sob out.

He pulls me into his arms. "No tears---we'll be together again; I promise."

I nod and he backs away, kissing me until Clark has to pry us apart, with the clearing of his throat.

I lead Lex over to his car and watch him get in, as the others do. Then I watch as he starts the car and it moves up the driveway. He goes in reverse and opens the window.

"I love you, Chloe."

"I love you too, Lex. Safe journey."

"You too," he states, before he drives up the driveway again, leaving my sad heart in it's wake. Then I smile, a sly one, and go into the cottage to pack myself.

~

Lex's POV

A Few Days Later - The Talon

I get out of my car, wondering why Lana wants to talk to me at the Talon since she usually comes over to the mansion to talk. Well, I did feel like a cup of coffee---damn it. Now I'm missing Chloe again. Get a grip, Luthor. You'll be seeing her on the weekend.

I'd decided to risk it all and go visit Chloe. And Chloe is the only one that I would risk seeing my father. Metropolis is big but at times, it's pretty small when it comes to him. The only reason he doesn't come to Smallville to see me is that that would be slumming.

I open the door to the Talon and walk in. I see Lana at the counter and walk over. She looks up and smiles.

"Hey, Lex. You made good time."

"You made it sound urgent. So, why am I here?"

"To do an interview with me, Luthor," a familiar voice answers.

I turn around and see her standing there. I walk over, touching her shoulder for a moment, to make sure it's really her. When I know she's not an apparition, I pull her close for a hug.

"Why are you here? What about your job?" I whisper.

"The hell with the job. I love you and I can't be without you. Besides, I got offered a job at the Ledger and couldn't pass it up."

I back away. "I bet," I smirk at her, before I lean down and kiss her.

We back away when we hear clapping and see it's the Talon patrons and our best friends. I see her trademark smile and it hits me.

"That's what Lana and you were whispering about that morning. She suggested---"

"---I surprise you and it worked, didn't it? I pulled a fast one on Lex Luthor."

I smirk. "Well, it took two of you to do it---don't get so high and mighty about it, Sullivan."

She chuckles at that before leaning up and kissing me again, to the wolf and catcalls from the audience. We back away.

"Get a life, guys," she states, with a grin. Then she turns to me. "So---think you can find a bed for a weary traveler at the mansion?"

"My bed is free," I whisper to her. "But, don't you think it would be rude to leave now, since I just got here."

"I've been here for hours and I think Lana and Clark would understand. Oh, by the way, I'm your escort for the wedding; Lana wants me to be the maid of honor and since you're the best man---I wonder if they'll allow some input into songs to dance too."

"Chloe, if you're thinking of the song I think you are thinking of, it's ours and to be used at our wedding," I state, taking her hand and walking over to Clark and Lana. "We'll see you two later. And Lana?"

"Yes, Lex?"

"Thank you for surprising me."

"You're welcome."

~

A Few Years Later

I stand at the doorway, watching her put our daughter, Lisa, to bed. In the other bed, Clark and Lana's daughter, Laura, resides. They were so excited about the sleepover that I wonder will they be sleeping tonight.

"Mommy?" brings me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, Sweetie?" Chloe answers her.

"Could you tell Laura and me the story again."

"What----ahhhh---the story of when Lex met Chloe."

"Or as I like to call it, when Daddy met Mommy," Lisa quips. Yep, the verbal judo didn't skip a generation.

I chuckle as I walk in. "Yes, I would love to hear that story myself."

"Why? You were there, Daddy."

"Yeah, Lex, you were there and since you were, I think you should tell it instead, don't you, kids?"

"Yeah!" they both agree.

I sit on my daughter's bed, Chloe on Laura's, and watch as they raptly wait for me to speak. I love captive audiences; I smile.

"Daddy!"

"All right. It was a warm summer day and---"

The End.

leik2
7th April 2005, 00:28
AWWWW! That was so sweet.

meghan036
7th April 2005, 04:38
So that was a sugar rush. Good thing I like em sweet. Loved their meeting, and the instant attraction. It was cute when Chloe showed up at the Talon. Truly love this. Hope you continue :)

PMD
7th April 2005, 04:39
Hey leik2:

Awww---glad you liked it, hon. :) Several more ways for her to meet him, coming right up. Next---Chloe? The cousin to Bruce Wayne? Yeppers, that's next up. :)

tiger04
7th April 2005, 05:18
That was a great way for chloe to meet and end up with lex. I can't wait for the next part

AT

autumngold
7th April 2005, 06:24
Thank you so much for the great story!! Chloe giving up the Daily Planet for Lex was perfect!! I also liked how he told Chloe his secrets right away!! Can't wait for your next story in the series!!

PMD
7th April 2005, 12:03
Hey Guys:

Meg: Glad you enjoyed the sugar rush. :) There is more to come with the series. Not in this storyline that I did up there---in that the series is alternate ways of them to meet. I really went into AU heaven with this one---including even having Lionel as a good guy and Lillian alive in the one I just finished. :) I'm having fun, that's for sure. <g> Glad you're enjoying it. More to come. <g>

Tiger: Aww, thanks, Amy. :) Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. And next up---Chloe and Lex get, hot and cold. <g> My muse made me say it---she's such a tease. <bg>

Autumn: I'm so glad you enjoyed it, sweeetie. :) I swear this series is turning into something that will never finish---my muse has a furtile imagination. <bg>And to think if one secret was told, they might stay friends forever. At least I would hope they would---sometimes canon sucks. :( Thank goodness for fanfic. :)

teejei
8th April 2005, 18:03
first of all, thanks for posting this series. not only would it bring satisfaction to all us CHLEXers <bg>, but would also inspire others to write as well. <ahem> *whacks muse to keep her from whining*

and on to the FB...

"I hate feeling like a school boy who wants to ask the Prom Queen out."hee hee. talk about some level of insecurity. :D

...it's not really a sad call as much as a call out to their mate. Or letting somebody know that they're alive. I know sad calls.*sigh* i don't even know how to begin relating how affected i am by that. i guess it reflects the state of Lex's life [though not necessarily focusing on the lovelife]. i think i could almost hear the bittersweetness in his tone when he said that. :(

Yep, the verbal judo didn't skip a generation.plus, i'm always amused at the way writers include kids [CHLEX or others] in the fics. from those that i've read, the kids are either the catalyst/impetus, or they're pretty much involved in the banter itself. i'd scream "genetic anomaly" if the verbal judo would even dare to skip a generation. :mad:

Next---Chloe? The cousin to Bruce Wayne? Yeppers, that's next up.
whoa! cousin? Bruce Wayne?

well that surely is something to look forward to. :yeahbaby:

PMD
8th April 2005, 21:17
Hey Teejei:

What? Having trouble with Muse? Is she watching something she shouldn't be watching behind your back? <g> Or just not responding? :( Want me to send my muse along to help her get back to where she was---she really can help. I mean, you think Chloe can get on Lex's case---you ain't seen nothing yet with my muse. :)

I've always felt that Lex had this hidden insecurity in the show---probably because he's never had somebody he could rely on, who didn't want something in return. Bad Lionel---bad, bad, bad, Lionel! :: grrrr ::

As to the kids for Chlex, well, they just seem perfect to help Lex learn that bad fathering skips a generation and that there is love out there for him. Like Chloe doesn't do that but it's always cute to see how Lex would handle some questions children would throw at him and how he would handle their unconditional love.

Heehee---yep, Chloe and Bruce, cousins. :) I did mention that these are totally AU except for some of the situations mentioned in the series. I even have LIonel as a good guy in one. :) Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :)

asharnanae
8th April 2005, 21:56
Like it, Again, just what I have needed these past few days. and this is a really cool altered verion of events! :D

PMD
9th April 2005, 09:39
Hey asharnanae:

Glad I and my muse could entertain you and get your mind off of things, sweetie. :) And I love doing this series---to see how they might have met and got together, alternate from the series. More to come. :)

starmoon
12th April 2005, 02:02
perfect i loved every bit of this story.

PMD
12th April 2005, 19:33
Hey Starmoon:

Glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. :)

~*~Tasha~*~
22nd June 2006, 01:19
That is so sweet. Snarky between the two of them, and this was an awesome way for your How We Never Met series to begin.

ggdoll18
2nd July 2006, 00:07
very cute

Ami Rose
22nd January 2007, 14:26
Oh My God! I love this story! Falling in love at first site! And desideing to be together forever. That was the sweetest story ever!

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 17:28
Really good on to NR2