PDA

View Full Version : Sequel To Happily Ever After - The Grand Gesture (PG-13/FRT)

PMD
4th April 2005, 07:55
And here, as promised, the sequel to the sequel to the sequel. Hope you enjoy it, guys. :) And I'll accept virtual snicker doodles (you VM likers out there will understand this want <g>) for another sequel. :)

Title: Sequel To 'Happily Ever After' - "The Grand Gesture"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/FRT - Fan Rated Suitable For Teenagers, P for Profanity, and some slightly suggestive things too.

Category: Chlex, slight Clana, songfic, slightly futurefic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game up to season 3 and then suggestions from season 4, in regards to Chloe and Lex's past.

Summary: Their first date.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, Heaven, the Devil, Olivia Newton John, and the lyrics to The Last Time You Loved, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, SPP, WBFFZ, and Malu's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is for Lidia who asked for a sequel---hope I did okay with it, sweetie. And to Kris and David, who have always been there, when my muse and I were low. And my best friend, Jay, who has inspired me to write, because of his own daring in writing. And for Blaire, who misses Pete. He's in there for you, sweetie. Enjoy.

Sequel To 'Happily Ever After' - "The Grand Gesture" - by PMD

Prologue: Here I stand, before my mirror, wondering do I look okay? Will he like what I'm wearing? Why am I so worried about this? Because this is love, Chloe. The love you have waiting for all your life.

~

Chloe's Bedroom

Lex said he was going to take me to dinner the night we admitted how we felt. But we decided to wait till Saturday---so that we could do it up right. Now, I'm staring into my mirror and wondering what will happen.

"Honey?"

"Yes, Daddy?"

"I think your date has arrived."

"Oh?"

He pops his head into my room. "Want me to make the grand gesture by going down to answer the door---so you can be fashionably---Oh my! You look---"

"---dumb. I know."

He walks in, smiling. "No you look just like your mother did, the first time I dated her. Did I ever tell you, I fell in love with her that night?"

"Daddy, I---I'm not going to go crazy, am I?"

He pulls me into his arms. "Honey, Lex has promised to find a way out of this. Besides, if you haven't gone crazy by now living in Smallville---"

I laugh at that and back away. "I guess I won't be going crazy tonight---unless you don't get the door."

"Ah---right. I'll just go get the door. And look out the window---you'll see why I know it's him."

He kisses me on the cheek and leaves my room. I walk towards the door, curiousity getting to me. I look out and gasp.

A black limo is waiting outside for me---not a stretch---that would have been too much. And on the window is a sign:

'Wanted: One intrepid reporter to love forever'

I let out a sob, all my love for him focusing on this one moment in time. To hell with the people who might look down on us tonight---we won't let them get us down.

I walk away from the window and grab my wrap. I walk out the room and am at the top of the stairs.

The men are in animated conversation. Must be about sports. I hear the words, 'hockey team for the company' and smile. Yeah, sports. I clear my throat to get their attention.

He looks up at me and I see that stunned look again. I smile at him, walking down slowly. I hate heels but I want to be as close to his height as I can tonight.

As I near the bottom, I stumble. He catches me just before I fall and lifts me down to the ground.

"Ahhem!"

The spell is broken and I blush as my father laughs. But I don't look away from the admiration I see in Lex's eyes, mixed with love.

"You're---"

"---all cleaned up," I finish.

He chuckles at that. "I wasn't going to say that---but you do clean up nicely. I have no idea why all the men go after Lana, when there's you in this town."

"She's more open than I am, I guess."

"Are you saying she's easy?"

"No---more open and honest. And more light than dark."

"Well, she does nothing for me. However, you, definitely get me going."

"Gee---just what a girl always wanted to hear---I rev up your engines, Luthor."

He backs away and looks me up and down. "With that dress, I think you might rev up quite a few engines tonight, Sullivan."

The dress is a shade of purple that I've seen many times on him. It's got short sleeves and dips in the front, showing off my assets, but not overly so. It's not a long dress---just semi-long. If I took off my heels, I could definitely still dance in it.

"You're mine, though," I hear him whisper in my ear.

"Yes, I'm yours as you are mine," I whisper back, before he kisses me; a light one. Father in the room.

"Ahhem."

As if to remind us again of that fact, my father clears his throat. Then he gets this impish look in his eyes.

"Now remember, young man, she has a curfew. She must be back by---tomorrow night. She has work Monday morning."

He looks at my father and then back at me. "He really does think he has a sense of humor."

"Don't encourage, please."

He quirks an eyebrow at me and then looks back at Gabe. "I can do that, Sir. And thank you for permission."

"Well, don't make me regret it, Lex."

"I won't."

"Good, well, you two better get going. I'll see you later, Honey."

I walk over with Lex, who's holding onto my hand now. "Night, Daddy," I state, kissing him on the cheek.

Lex nods his head at my father and then we're out the door, to our little adventure.

~

The Limo Ride

He opens the door for me and I get in. As he enters, he gives me a sly smile.

I move closer to the other door, giving him room. He closes the door, takes the sign away, placing it on the floor, and then looks at me again. "Why are you over there?"

I raise en eyebrow. He quirks one at me before saying, "Smallville's best restaurant and move it, James."

"Yes, Sir," we hear before the partition between us and James goes up.

His attention is back on me, as he pats the place beside him.

I give him an impish smile and shake my head.

"What do I have to do to get you over here?"

"Ask nicely and you might be rewarded."

"Please, Chloe, would you do me the honor of coming closer?"

"Why?"

"Because my reach isn't that long," he growls out, frustrated.

"Awwww---I'm sorry, Lex. I'm just not used to being wanted, I guess," I finally let out.

"Clark was an idiot."

"Nawww---just in love with somebody else," I reply, moving close to him again.

He pulls me ever closer and I let out a sigh and a quiver.

"Scared?" he asks.

"A little but that's good, right?"

"I've never been scared in relationships before, until now."

I move away. "I'm not going anywhere, Baby."

"I know but I'm afraid that being with me, you might get hurt."

"I would get hurt, if you didn't love me."

"Me too," he answers, pulling me close to him again.

For the rest of the ride, silence reigns. Then the limo stops and the driver opens the back door.

Lex gets out first and offers his hand to me. I notice we're at the back of the restaurant.

"Cameras here?"

"Just taking precautions in case there is," he answers.

"Experience, eh?"

He nods his head, as we head for the back door. It opens and the person at the door allows us to enter. Now, the fun begins.

~

The Restaurant

Once inside, we are lead to a private room to eat.

"Wow; private dining room."

"You think I want the other men to be staring at you tonight, Chloe."

"Possessive much, Lex?" I ask, with a touch of humor.

He lets out a sigh and pulls back my chair. "I'm sorry."

"I wasn't complaining---just stating a fact. And for your information---any woman comes near and makes suggestions of going to bed with you, will have to answer to me."

I sit on the chair. He moves away and I smile at the look on his face. Who knew that the man could still be stunned?

His look changes quickly as he gets down to my level and leans in, saying, "Wow---want to skip the date and go to bed, tomorrow."

He remembers---no sleeping with me on the first date.

I lean towards him, my lips lightly touching his. Then I back away.

"No, I'm hungry. Feed me, Luthor."

He chuckles at that and gets up, going to the other side of the table.

We look at the menus for a moment and then:

"Waiter?"

A man mysteriously appears. "Yes, Sir?"

"Champagne and caviar to start."

I wrinkle my nose.

"What's wrong?"

"Could that be a cola and a Caesar instead? And garlic bread?"

He smiles at me. "Whatever the lady wants."

"So, that's two of everything, Mr. Luthor?"

"Yes."

He bows to us and is gone.

"You could have had what you ordered," I state.

He leans over and takes my hand. "I want to keep my wits about me, when it comes to tonight anyway. Liquor would dull it."

"So, why order it?"

"Well, you are 18 and I thought, why not pull out all the stops---no expense too much."

"Lex, I'm just a plain old city/country girl. You don't have to spend money to impress me---you just have to spend time with me to do that."

He takes my hand and kisses it softly. Then he lets it go.

"Oh, and you can do that a lot too," I state, laughing lightly. His laughter joins in.

The waiter appears again, placing the food and drink before us. "Are you ready to order, Sir?"

"Are we?" he asks me.

I nod yes.

"Ladies first."

"I'll have the roast beef dinner, please."

"Very good choice, Miss. And you, Sir?"

"The lobster dinner."

"Another good choice."

He bows once more and this time, takes the menus, before walking out of the room.

"So?"

I look at Lex. "Yes?"

"How's the salad?"

"Oh, right, eat," I quip.

"Something distracting you, Chloe?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Something distracting you, Lex. Cause you aren't eating either."

"Touché," he states, before taking up his drink. "To many more distractions---caused only by the two people in this room."

I pick up my drink and the glasses clink, before we both drink deeply from them.

Then we start to eat. In between bites of the first course, and once in a while sharing our second courses with each other, we find out we have a lot more in common than we thought. I was on my grade school's hockey team---we beat our rival, 2 years in a row.

I find out we like the same movies---action, some horror, and drama. But mainly courtroom drama. Not too surprising since he spent some of his misspent youth in the court system.

Then we get into our past and I let out a sigh, when we deal with my mother.

"Chloe?" I hear and look at his hand over mine again.

"Yes?"

"We'll fight this---together."

I smile at him. "My father said you would help. He also said if being in Smallville all these years hasn't driven me crazy, nothing will. And you know, you've already helped."

"I have?"

"You helped me keep my sanity and courage, when you said you would protect me, that year we went after your father. Lex, I'm sorry I didn't take you up on it at first."

"No, I would have been disappointed if you had. You had no reason to trust me back then---if you had decided yes, right away, I would have thought you were a plant from my father."

"That makes sense."

"I do make sense, once in a while."

Before I can quip back, the waiter appears again. "Dessert, Sir?"

He looks at me and I shake my head. "No, I believe not."

"Coffee?"

I shake my head.

"No thank you."

"I'll go get your check then, Sir."

"Thank you."

He leaves the room.

"Are you sure you don't want some dessert. The creme caramel is to die for."

"No. Lex, this might seem like a crazy idea but I was wondering---could we go have coffee at the Talon?"

His eyes darken for a moment and then lighten up. He smiles a wicked smile. "Testing the waters so soon?"

"I want the world to know that I have the best boyfriend in the world. And nobody will tell me otherwise."

"Then, we'll do it. And pray that Lana gets the order right."

"Well, she has gotten---wait, she has gotten worse. And it only happens when she's in love---maybe it wasn't such a good idea to get her and Clark back together."

"Yes, it was."

"I guess so---cause they are so happy. What's a little mistake with coffee orders over true love."

The waiter arrives and Lex pays the bill. As we leave for the back door, his hand is on the small of my back and I lean into it.

The limo drives up and this time, after he and I get in, I snuggle close to him, letting out a deep sigh.

~

The Talon

"Chlo, wake up," I hear somebody whisper in my ear.

"No, Daddy, I want to sleep a bit more, please."

I chuckle brings me out of my sleeping state and I look up.

"I'm sorry."

"About falling asleep or thinking I was your father?" he asks, with a smile.

"Both."

"Well don't be. You were tired and disoriented, if you think I sound like your father."

I lean up and whisper, "I knew there was a reason I loved you---you understand. Clark would have freaked."

We back away. "Clark is a freak---but a good one, thank God," he states.

I smile, remembering how I found out his secret and made him tell Lex, a week or so later. Lana had to know too---even though she might have freaked out. But she didn't. Must have been my influence---she was mad but then we all were, at first. And now, the circle to protect Clark had grown by three.

"So, shall we face the firing squad?"

I roll my eyes. "Think it might be too late to ask Clark to reconsider me as a girlfriend?"

"Yes," he states, his eyes glowing in the dark.

"Yeah, I thought so," I reply, leaning up and kissing him gently on the lips.

We back away as the door opens. Once more he gets out and offers me his hand.

I get out and watch him talk to James. Then he offers his arm, which I take, and we walk into the Talon.

Okay, he's not the devil, guys. So why the silent treatment. As the door closes, there is complete and utter---no noise whatsoever. Really---Smallville is known for it's overkill but this really irks me.

I glare at all around and talk starts again. I look at him.

"See, it's not so bad."

"Not when Snarky Sullivan is around."

"Gee, I have a nickname. Thanks, Pooky."

"Pooky? I don't think so."

"All right, how about Alex?"

"Not a nickname and yet, a form of my name. Sure, I can live with that."

He leads me to his table and we sit down beside each other. I hear the noise but I still feel the stares of people.

"Maybe we should get out of here, Chloe."

"Hey, Guys. What can I get you?"

Lana looks at us both, a smile on her face. Then she feels the stares too and turns around. "Excuse me---this is a private conversation."

They look away and she turns to look at us again. We smile gratefully at her.

"Thanks, Lana," I reply.

"No problem. So, what can I get you two?"

"You're not the least surprised we're here, are you, Lana?" Lex asks.

"Why should I be? You are part owner of the place."

"No---I said we, not I."

"Oh, that. Well, Clark and I had an inkling of an idea that you two were in as much denial as we've been in the past. Only a matter of time before something happened. And I'm so glad that it has. So, what do you two want?"

"No more staring?" I ask, hopefully.

"Sorry, I can't do anything about that. How can people not stare at two of the most beautiful people in the world."

"I don't think it's that type of stare," I state.

"Okay, they're jealous. So, do you want something or should I leave you two alone to smooch?"

"Two coffees; double double. And a couple of Martha's muffins, please," Lex states.

"Blueberry or cranberry?"

"One of each."

"Coming right up."

She walks away and I turn to look at Lex. "Did she just say smooch?"

"I believe she did---shall we?"

He's about to kiss me when we hear:

"Those two together is not good. Remember that---"

"Shut the fuck up, Jeremy!" we hear nearby.

That voice, I know that voice.

We turn around to see Pete walking up to the culprit.

"Take that back!"

"I won't!"

"Then step outside; RIGHT NOW!"

"All right, Ross!" he retorts.

He gets up and Pete follows him to the door. He opens it, walks outside, and then Pete slams it shut in his face.

"Go away and never come back!"

We hear some yelling from the other side and then silence. We watch Jeremy walk away, anger in his steps.

"Sorry about that, guys!"

We look at Pete standing before us.

"Don't be---you beat me to the punch. And there was no bloodshed, Mr. Ross," Lex replies.

"Pete, please, Lex," he states, sitting down on the opposite side.

"Pete, could I ask you a question?" Lex ponders.

"Why the change in attitude?"

"Yes."

He looks at me and then Lex. "See Chloe. She's glowing---I mean literally glowing when you're around."

"Could be meteor exposure?"

Pete snorts. "Nice try at humor there, Luthor, but leave it to the experts would you."

"Okay. So, you were saying about Chloe and her penchant for glowing around me."

"Well, I see how happy you make her. I mean, for the longest time, I wished it could have been me. But now, I know Sarah was meant to have that glowing affect from me, not Chloe. And it's because she loves me and would do anything in her power to be in love with me forever. That's how Chloe is for you. And by the way, you're glowing too, Lex. Soooo---I don't want anybody to get between you two or make either of you unhappy. Besides, I can admit when I'm wrong and even though you are the spawn of the devil, you are not he---you are not evil. So, forgive me my feelings of the past, Lex."

He puts out his hand in friendship and Lex takes it, gladly. I hear a sob and we look up to see Lana there. She places the coffee down and brushes away a tear.

"Friendship---it just makes me so happy," she cries out.

"Yeah, me too," I state, brushing away a tear too.

"Women---they're just so damn emotional. Why do we put up with them, Luthor?"

"Because we love them. Pete, thanks for giving me a second chance and for that grand gesture a few moments ago."

"No problem. Now I must go back to Sarah before some guy tries to take her away from me."

"If they do, just call me. I *know* people," Lex says.

The grin belays his sinister intention of what he's said and Pete just laughs. "Don't worry---I know a lot of football players who can take care of anybody who goes near Sarah. Talk to you guys later. Bye."

"Bye, Pete," we three state.

He gets up and walks away. Then:

"Well, here's the coffee and the muffins should be coming in a sec. Clark is bringing---here they are."

We ask them to join us and they do. We talk over the day and discuss what needs to be done to the Talon to get in more customers. Before you know it, it's closing time. Lana and Clark were planning on going to see a movie so we offer to close up for her. Which she gladly accepts. After hugs and kisses, and good nights, they leave. Then, we let out the stragglers and close the doors.

"Alone at last."

"Yeah, I guess."

I turn around and look at the clean up ahead. Then I forget about it as he comes up behind me, his arms wrapped around my stomach.

"Bored with me already?" he whispers into my ear.

"No---just overwhelmed by how much mess customers can make. Will we ever get out of here?"

"It's not that bad."

"So sayeth the person who had servants all his life."

He backs away and I turn around, seeing dismay on his face. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it, Lex. Honest. It's just a joke."

"I know. But I've been known to clean a room or two, when they've been sick. Just don't tell my father---he'd be disappointed."

"Oh, who the fuck cares what Lionel thinks. He's an idiot and should be damn proud of his son, if he was smart---which he isn't."

"Spoken like a person who has the love of her father and greatly appreciates it."

"I do and I appreciate your love and support too. Sooooo---you want this side and I'll take the other?"

"Well, since that's the only way we'll get any work done---yes."

~

An Hour Later

He's slumped down on a bench, a tired smile on his face.

"Not much of a first date, is it, Chloe?"

I lean against the karoake machine and smile. "Well, considering how most of my first dates end with either the guy trying to kill me or just leaving me behind, I'll take cleaning up the Talon over that, any old day."

I turn back around and look at the list of songs set up in the machine.

"Oh my God!"

"What?"

I hear him get up and walk over. I point to the song on the list.

"That has got to be a sign or kismet."

"An Olivia Newton John song is a sign?"

I turn to look at him. "Yes, the lyrics are perfect. Hey, if you buy me coffee for the rest of the week, I'll sing it for you."

"Just coffee? Why not ask for the world?"

"Because I have the world; you. I just want something added to it---coffee. So, what do you say?"

He backs away and goes over to sit on the bench. "All right, you've got a deal. Sing away."

"You don't think I'll do it."

"Well, I heard you sing once and it wasn't that great. So, not sure if you want to do that again."

"I was making fun of this thing. I can sing better."

"Prove it."

"Well, since you did that grand gesture with the private room at that restaurant, I'll do this grand gesture and we'll forget about the coffee. Deal?"

"All right but it would have been a latte."

"How do I get myself into these things," I quip, and hear laughter soon after.

I turn back to the machine and punch in the number for the song. Then I pick up the mike and turn around---the music starting, the words before me; I sing for my love:

"I think there are people who need to be loved
Lonely and hiding the light from their eyes
Still too afraid to light up the night
Too lonely to come out of hiding

Well I've seen you with the young girls
They come when you call
They make love so easy
They don't love at all
You want me to come running
When your world's falling in
You want me till you got me
Then you're gone again

And your passion comes so easy
Then you ease away from me

Cause the last time you loved was the first time you ever cried
It was the first time you ever really loved
It's the last time you ever tried

Your defenses become you, now you become them
It's one night on the weekend
Then you're gone again
Well I'm tears and I'm passion and there's a woman in me
Stop all your runnin' and I'll set you free

And I stand before you naked, and my soul is on my sleeve

And the last time you loved was the first time you ever cried
And it's the last time you ever tried

Say it's not the last time you'll ever try"

Somehow, during the time I've been singing, Lex has made his way to me.

I see a tear threatening to fall and I feel them in my eyes too.

He takes the mike and places it on top of the machine. He turns it off and I move closer to him. Then he gives me an enigmatic smile, which I return.

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking?"

"That this will be the last time I'll ever try. And there's something I want to do right now."

"And that is?"

"This," he replies, capturing my lips with his.

He begs entrance with a light nip with his teeth. I gasp and give it to him gladly. But we need to breathe; so we back away.

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"I have another grand gesture to give you tonight?"

"And that is?"

"An hour or two in Heaven, thanks to Lana and the key to her apartment upstairs."

"What about the 'no sleeping' on the first date?"

"Who said we were going to sleep?" I reply, with a sultry voice.

No words---I've struck the man speechless.

Instead, he takes my hand and leads me up the stairs, to the last grand gesture of the evening---but not the last in our lives ever.

The End.

meghan036
4th April 2005, 19:15
Again you did a really wonderful job. :) I thought if was quite funny when Chloe like tripped down the stair, and sweet when Lex caught her. I love that Chloe didn't want to hide their relationship, she wanted to flant it right away. And Lana telling the customers that it was a private convo was a nice touch along with Pete throwing that guy out of the talon. Overall very touching peice wonderful first date.

autumngold
4th April 2005, 21:00
I'm glad that Chloe broke her rule for Lex!! Thank you for showing us their first date together!! Pete was wonderful, but I can't believe that Lana made them clean up the Talon on their date!! Hopefully Chloe was able to take off her shoes!! Great story!!

PMD
5th April 2005, 02:29
Hey guys:

Meghan: Anything to get Chloe into Lex's arms is my muses credo and motto. <g> As to Lana, well, she's in there for a good Clana friend of mine and since I write Clana too---well, I couldn't resist. :) And Pete, well, I miss him and I think, beyond Mr. Kent, that Lex would value his change of attitude the most. Glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. :)

Autumn: For Lex, she would probably break every rule for him. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the first date, sweetie. :) As to Lana making them clean up the Talon---or leaving them to do it alone, she did give Chloe the key to her apartment. :: wink wink :: That means no interruptions from her father and none from the staff at the mansion. <g> Again, glad you enjoyed the story. :)

hfce
5th April 2005, 03:09
That was a great story.

Hope :)

PMD
5th April 2005, 09:49
Hey Hope:

Glad you enjoyed it, hon. :)

starmoon
12th April 2005, 01:58
great.

PMD