PDA

View Full Version : Next Saturday - PG13 - COMPLETE

teejei
30th March 2005, 22:57
Next Saturday
Rating: PG13...just to be safe
Pairing: Chloe/Lex
Spoilers: none that I could think of..
Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine, though to have Lex on eternal loan would be truly appreciated. *grin*
Summary: Simplicity is the key.

This is the answer to Impress' The Art of Simplicity.

Have Chloe introduce Lex to a simple pleasure in life. It has to be something he has never done before...like walking barefoot in the grass or having a popsicle.

A/N: Un-beta-ed. Constructive criticism please. Very open to suggestions for improvement. Ü

Even before stepping into the helicopter that was waiting for him at the top of the Luthorcorp building, Lex already felt the beginnings of a massive tension headache.

‘Why do I do this to myself?’ he wondered as he pinched the bridge of his nose and took deep breaths. ‘Why do I always go to these masochistic meetings with Dad?’

He simply sighed, leaned his head back and tried to ignore the bright, sunny day that he felt was insulting his misery.

~*~*~*~*~*~

No meteor freaks this week. No emotional torture from Clark. No incessant whining from Lana.

It was a Saturday morning and Chloe Sullivan was bored to death.

“Lana’s working, Clark’s doing chores, Pete’s too far away, and that day,” Chloe looked outside longingly, “is just begging to be enjoyed. There MUST be something to do!”

Suddenly, her face lit up as the proverbial light bulb clicked in her head.

“Hmmm…Now all I is an old tire and very long rope. I only wish Lex won’t mind.” thought Chloe as she grabbed her keys and shrugged on her jacket.

~*~*~*~*~*~
Lex burst into his study, eyes trained on his target. In less than six strides, he had flung his briefcase onto the sofa, took off his coat, tossed it to a chair, got to his minibar and had begun to open a bottle of scotch.

“God, I need a drink.” he muttered as the pounding in his right temple took on a faster and more erratic tempo. As he was about to take a drink from the bottle itself, he heard a knock.

“Mr. Luthor…”came the muffled voice of one of his security personnel.

“GO. AWAY! Didn’t Enrique tell you not to bother me right now?!” bellowed Lex after setting down the bottle, his hand gripped the neck but still haven’t drunk from it. ‘That man would be fired as soon as this headache stops.’ Lex opened the three top buttons on his shirt and roughly massaged his right temple, but still couldn’t get rid of the pain.

“See? I told you. He doesn’t even want some company right now. So if you could just ease up on that grip…” a female voice piped up.

Lex’s ears suddenly perked up. Only one woman would have the guts to stand up against his security. He strode quickly across the room and yanked open the study’s door.

“Chloe…I mean…Ms. Sullivan.” Lex amended, had interpreted the shocked look on her face as one of annoyance rather than surprise.

“Oh hey, Lex! I was just leaving since you obviously don’t want anyone around…,” said Chloe as she struggled to get free from the vise-like grip on her upper arm.

“She was caught trespassing near the lake, sir. Michaels and I have confiscated the tire and rope in her possession.” interjected the guard.

“A tire and some rope. What the hell?!” frustration clearly took over Lex’s voice.

“If you’d hand them back, I’ll show you what I’m up to.” Chloe bargained, looking straight in Lex’s eyes.

Lex paused for a moment and returned the glare. “Give the items back, then show me where you found her.” he ordered, not breaking his stare.

“Yes sir.” the guard replied and walked off in the direction of the kitchen.

When the guard was out of earshot, Lex crossed his arms on his chest and leaned on the doorframe. “What are you really up to, Chloe?”

“You just can never wait, can’t you?” said Chloe, raised an eyebrow and mirrored his stance.

Before he could reply, the guard returned with the tire and rope. “This way, sir.” the guard beckoned.

“After you, Chloe.”

And the three of them went out the kitchen door and followed the trail to the lake.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When the guard finished setting up, Lex could only stare at it and purse his lips in irritation.

“What the hell is that?” Deadpan. Chloe stuck her hands in her pockets, shifted on her feet and thought of the safest way to answer his question.

“Well, Lex, it’s a swing…” said Chloe quietly, trying to read Lex’s features from the corner of her eye.

No response other than crossing his arms and tilting his head to the side. She took that as a sign to continue.

“You sit in it, like this…” Chloe headed to the improvised swing, thread her legs through the hole and sat down. “Then you get someone to push you, or you get your own momentum.” Chloe set her legs on the ground, now with the tire circling her waist, walked back a bit till she was on her tiptoes, grabbed the rope from which the tire was hung on a tree branch, and quickly jumped to sit as she forced the tire to swing forward.

Chloe looked back at Lex and flashed him her trademark smile. ‘Lex may be a grump about this, but I came here to have my fun and I’m not gonna let him ruin it’ she thought.

“Cute.” A smirk broke through his cool façade. “Leave us”, he addressed his guard. With a nod, the guard walked back towards the mansion.

“So why here, Ms. Sullivan? Surely there are other trees from which you could set this up. And why aren’t you with Clark?” he paused for a beat, “…or Lana?” he added, eyes narrowed.

“Well…”Chloe still hasn’t stopped swinging, bent and stretched her legs with each swing so as to not lose her momentum. “…first, you have the sturdiest trees that also offer a lot of shade. Second, my world doesn’t revolve around Clark. And third, I already live with Lana. Surely I could use a break from her.”

“Riiiight” drawled Lex, nodding his head.

“Whatever, Luthor. I’m enjoying this day and no mood of yours is going to darken it” said Chloe smugly. She bent her knees more as she swung back, and stretched her legs more forcefully as she swung higher, her hair flying wildly.

“Woohooooo! C’mon Lex, dontcha wanna try?” Chloe changed her position and now stood on the inner rim of the tire, still swinging.

“Ah, nah. Never mind, this is too childish for your taste anyway, right?”, said Chloe, clearly taunting him as she again changed her position on the tire and was now sitting on its outer rim.

Lex hasn’t said a word all this time, his eyes just followed the pendulum-like motion. After a few more swings, he ambled over to the front and grabbed the tire by the inner rim with both hands as it swung towards him.

He glowered at her, gnashing his teeth, deliberated whether he should take up the challenge or not.

‘Oh, shit. I pushed him too far. I am so gonna get it now. Oh, well. Bring on the guards.’ Chloe squeezed her eyes close and waited for the rough hands that would pull her down and haul her ass out.

Yet there were no pulling, no shouting, heck, the tire wasn’t even moving. Chloe opened one eye and looked down at Lex, only to find him genuinely smiling. Finally breaking the silence, he said

“My turn.”

~*~*~*~*~*~
A/N 2: ok, i just had to cut it right there. it still goes on for a few more paragraphs, but i think it's starting to get too long.

should i continue till i get to my ending? or should i just leave it as it is? if i continue then the title would make sense. but if i leave the ending as is, then i'll just change the title.

watcha think?

AlabamaWorley
31st March 2005, 00:09
I think you need to finish it! I like the story idea a lot.

autumngold
31st March 2005, 01:54
I must be crazy, because I know you wouldn't stop the story right there!! I must be seeing things!! Please continue!! I can't wait to see Lex on the tire swing!!

suspension of disbelief
31st March 2005, 03:15
oh please do continue....had me smiling the whole time

asharnanae
31st March 2005, 04:06
fantastic!! more please!!!!!! I would love to see the ending!

bunnylyn33
31st March 2005, 04:26
Gurl, have you lost your mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finish this! You have a wonderful story going here so FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!

ps: Did I happened to remember to mention that I really like this story. :)

hfce
31st March 2005, 04:44
Ah continue. :D

Impress
31st March 2005, 04:47
teejei hun, you should continue. I like your writing. Other than a couple of tense changes and just one or two places where a slight rewording of the sentence would have made it flow better, I didn't see anything wrong with this story. And those are things a beta could catch and fix for you.

Continue on writing...no really go on...I want to see Lex's reaction to being on the swing. :)

Queen Of Tact
31st March 2005, 05:08
i loved it.... U have to write more....

star del mar
31st March 2005, 05:54
oh no, this is too cute! I definitely need another part!

Steph*

LarkLuthor
31st March 2005, 07:49
teejei hun, you should continue. I like your writing. Other than a couple of tense changes and just one or two places where a slight rewording of the sentence would have made it flow better, I didn't see anything wrong with this story. And those are things a beta could catch and fix for you.

Continue on writing...no really go on...I want to see Lex's reaction to being on the swing. :)

I agree. Very good, a few minor gramatical changes and you're off to a wonderful start. I vote continue...

Lark

starmoon
31st March 2005, 08:53
that was just great please write a squel so we can find out what lex is going to do to chloe. loved this story.

teejei
31st March 2005, 13:59
A/N: Continue it is!
Spoilers: Shattered and Asylum [season3]
Disclaimer: see first post

oh, and feedback please. Ü

[con’t]

Chloe let her grin go up another megawatt notch as she jumped down from the hanging tire. She placed herself where Lex had once silently stood, and assumed his cool stance with a raised eyebrow as Lex thread his legs thru the hole and settled himself down.

Lex lightly placed his hands on the outer rim and waited, looking ahead at the lake. After a few seconds, he glanced at Chloe with a pointed and said impatiently, “Well?”

“Well what?” Chloe asked, crossing her arms tighter.

“A little help here?” Lex motioned towards his back.

“The magic word ‘please’?” prompted Chloe.

“Um…” Lex looked puzzled. “A little help…NOW?!”

“Luthor…” said Chloe exasperatedly, dropping her crossed arms and placing her hands on her hips instead.

“Sullivan…” he countered, matching her tone.

“Ugh. You’re impossible!” she huffed, marching to stand behind Lex and pulling back the tire. She noticed that his whole body suddenly went rigid.

“You know, Lex, this branch could probably support 2 more swings with your weight on them,” she chuckled. He didn’t seem to hear her, but responded by tightening his hold on the outer rim instead.

“Relax, Lex. Trust me?” she whispered.

And with that Lex visibly loosened up. Chloe breathed a sigh of relief and pulled back a bit further. And taking Lex’s slight nod as her cue, Chloe released the tire. She then scrambled to sit down amid the tree’s roots and leaned back on its trunk.

Lex seemed to have picked up Chloe’s technique so well, bending and stretching his legs with each swing that he got higher and higher in no time. But as he swung higher, the rigidity of his posture returned and his jaw seemed to have set once again.

Chloe, sensing the change, piped up, “Geez, Lex, relax!” her eyes following his progress. “And, yes, it’s perfectly normal to grin like an idiot!” she added cheekily.

“I refuse to grin like an idiot!” he replied through clenched teeth. Lex glowered at her, yet did nothing to stop swinging.

“Yeah, well, I’m not the one swinging like his life depended on it” she retorted. “And besides, it’s my turn anyway.”

“Uh-uh” he shook his head no.

“Excuse me?!” she said incredulously, narrowing her eyes.

“My branch, my tree, my swing,” a smirk graced his features.

“This isn’t preschool, you big bully!” Chloe stood up and dusted her jeans.

Seeing that Lex has chosen to ignore her, Chloe whined, “C’mon Lex! My turn!” stomping her feet for good measure. ‘God, I sound like Lana’, she berated herself.

“Now who’s sounding like a preschooler?” he sneered, he bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from laughing at the sight of a sulky Chloe.

“The magic word ‘please’?” he prompted and turned his head again to stare at the lake.

“My turn, NOW!” Chloe roared, then immediately pursed her lips to refrain from giggling at her use of Lex’s earlier reply.

“Uh-uh” he refused again. He whirled his head around to laugh in her face like the school bully in The Simpsons, “Ha-ha!”

“You…!” Chloe quickly shrugged off her jacket and stood in front of him. After taking a deep breath, she muttered, “You asked for this, Luthor.”

And as Lex swung forward, Chloe snatched the rope and pulled herself up to sit on the outer rim…and Lex’s hands.

“Ow!”

“Hah!”

“Get. Off, Chloe!”

“Nevah! My swing!”

“Chloeeeeeee!”

“Not hearing youuuuuuu!”

“Sullivan”, Lex growled.

Chloe looked down. “Luthor”, she said blankly.

“Sullivan…” Lex’s voice turned serious.

“Alright, alright” Chloe surrendered. “Just drag your feet on the grass this time so we could stop swinging.”

Lex did as she instructed and they quickly swung to a stop. Chloe climbed down and Lex pulled out of the hole.

“Let’s sit here for a while.”

Lex lowered his head and found Chloe patting the grass next to her. He hesitated, glanced back at the direction of the mansion, and then shifted his gaze to the swing. He shrugged and sat down next to her. They both pulled their knees to their chests and rested their arms on the bent knees. They sat like this for a few minutes, each tried to catch his own breath.

It was Chloe who broke the silence.

“Lex…um…not meaning to pry, but, what were you so pissed about back there?” she inquired, her head tilted towards the mansion.

Lex groaned and covered his face with his hands. ‘Nothing ever gets past this woman.’ Lex peeked from between his fingers and sighed to himself, “Might as well…”

“Another masochistic meeting with my father in Metropolis” he answered, now staring at the swing. “I developed a tension headache even before we landed here. And I was about to drink my scotch when you arrived.”

Chloe looked at him blankly for a few seconds then whacked him on the head with her jacket and caught him off guard.

“What the hell?!”

Chloe whacked him again. “Haven’t you learned anything?” And again. “At all?!” And still another hit. Lex feebly defended himself, still shocked at her questions.

“You ended up in Belle Reve, got your brains fried, and lost 7 weeks worth of memories! Catch a clue, Lex!” Even Chloe can’t believe how hysterical she had become.

“I’m perfectly aware of that incident, Ms. Sullivan.” He had reverted back to his cold demeanor.

“Don’t give me that ‘Ms. Sullivan’ crap, Lex”, she emphasized his preferred appellation. “You manufacture enough of the stuff!” She put on her jacket grudgingly.

“And I can get my daily dose from Clark, thankyouverymuch” she added quietly.

“Why do you care?” he grumbled more to himself than to her.

Chloe suddenly froze, as if someone slipped an ice cube down her spine.

“Because I just do, Lex. Since when was it a crime to care for someone, even though they’re only a friend of a friend?” she answered stiffly.

“Why do I bother?” she shook her head as she stood up and dusted her jeans. She strode over to the swing, took out her Swiss knife, found the biggest blade, and had barely raised her hand to begin slicing thru the thick rope when it was jerked back.

Unknown to Chloe, Lex followed her movements after she stood up. His eyes widened as the blade caught a ray of sunlight, so he rushed over and snatched Chloe’s wrist. “Wait! What are you doing now?!”

“Preserving my pride, whaddya think?!” she spat out, not wanting to look at him.

“Chloe, I’m sorry.” Still not looking at him. “Don’t cut it down.” Lex touched her chin with his thumb and index finger, guided it to the right so that they’d be face to face.

“Don’t cut me off.” Lex blinked and felt himself flinch at his own words. Did he just say that?

Chloe didn’t seem to notice it, but she looked Lex straight in the eye and said, “Then stop drinking, Lex. Please. There are other ways to relieve those tension headaches.”

“What tension headaches?” Lex reflexively brought his right hand up and patted his temple.

"Exactly", she replied. "Fresh air and a natural high."

"Wow."

"So...", Chloe tucked her Swiss knife back into her pocket. "Next Saturday?" she looked up expectantly.

"Definitely next Saturday", he grinned. 'Note to self: Get Enrique to set up another swing.'

Chloe returned the gesture, waved goodbye, and headed back to the mansion. She smiled wistfully and resisted the urge to turn around when she heard a series of whoops and hollers that came from the direction of the lake.

She just discovered an alternative stress reliever for Lex Luthor.

Simplicity was the key.

~*~*~*~*~*~
Lark and Impress: thanks for pointing those errors. will try to be more conscientious next time. :o

hfce, asharnanae, CC: would like to say i'm a big fan...and thanks for loving this fic. :o

suspension of disbelief: really? smiling? it makes me smile myself when i make others smile. thanks! :)

bunnylyn33: alright, alright! i finished it! :D

alabama, autumngold, starmoon, star del mar: u guys also gave feedback on my other fic ryt? well, thanks for reading and commenting on this one too. :D

hfce
31st March 2005, 16:31
I loved it. Lex so needs Chloe in his life. I know she would give him a sense of fun.

Hope :)

asharnanae
31st March 2005, 17:32
WONDERFUL!!!! man, I just loved that ending! and It was really touching to see chloe explode over his drinking. I really hope to see more from you, I loved this story. :D

AlabamaWorley
31st March 2005, 18:01
Very cute! I love that Lex liked the swing. My favorite part was when Chloe jumped up there with him.

Kit Merlot
31st March 2005, 18:36
This was a great story :D

WELL DONE!

Krysia
31st March 2005, 18:43
“Preserving my pride, whaddya think?!” she spat out, not wanting to look at him.

“Chloe, I’m sorry.” Still not looking at him. “Don’t cut it down.” Lex touched her chin with his thumb and index finger, guided it to the right so that they’d be face to face.

“Don’t cut me off.” Lex blinked and felt himself flinch at his own words. Did he just say that?

This was my favourite part. I hope this isn't the end of the story. It's just way to sweet to end here. Keep up the good work.

tiger04
31st March 2005, 18:45
that was a great story. it's fun to think that all lex needed was to have a little fun with a swing. :D

AT

teejei
31st March 2005, 19:27
i aim to please. :o

autumngold
31st March 2005, 19:47
I love Lex's pleas to Chloe, and I love that he liked the tire swing!! You could make this into a series, with their Saturday meetings!! I know, now I'm getting selfish, but this is such a great story!! Thanks so much for writing it!!

teejei
31st March 2005, 20:08
ok. do you think this should be extended, i.e. a full-blown fic instead? and if it pushes thru, it's gonna have to move over to another genre so...will the first 2 parts be considered as a separate work from the WIP version? would there be 2 fics both entitled Next Saturday?

am i asking too many questions? are you getting dizzy now? tension headache anyone? :D :o

suspension of disbelief
1st April 2005, 02:50
nothing like a good story to perk up you day.....grinning like an idiot ha-ha... take that lex.....

star del mar
1st April 2005, 04:29
so glad you updated :)

Steph*

meg20
1st April 2005, 09:06
Cute, simple and sweet, what more to want

LarkLuthor
1st April 2005, 10:20
Nice. I enjoyed the part about Lex's drinking. The man had better have such a high white blood cell count with the alchol he goes through.

Lark

S.Ann Smith
25th May 2005, 04:53
beautiful fic, glad that you finnished it

BellaMR
14th June 2005, 00:02
This fic was so sweet. I'm glad you chose to put on the rest of the ending. I'd love to see this turn into a series.

arkakitty
3rd July 2005, 11:37
Awwww aren't they cute?

I love this! :)

Ainur
14th July 2005, 02:08
I really like stress free stories. They are the best. You did a great job with this. Well done!

angie284
11th July 2006, 16:57
Great job. First read this over on fanfiction.net. This is one of my favorite chlex friendship fics.

somethingeasy
11th July 2006, 19:08
this was a very sweet friendship fic. I loved how Lex 'cheated' and refused to give the swing back to Chloe for 'her turn'. And then I adored the way she took her revenge in an equally childish, outlandish and immature way. Manipulative games and high IQ verbal judo are always fun to observe, but the two of them are usually always such serious controlled people... sometimes it's good to see them letting their 'inner child' out for a little fun time. Excellent fic, nice work I look forward to more friendship stories from you

teejei
12th July 2006, 10:34
thank you thank you thank you.

it's always good to see more new people reading my fics. it puts a smile on my face, and helps in getting dem juices flowing. hehe.

~*~Tasha~*~
8th October 2009, 15:24
This was sweet. {Smiles} I enjoyed it. I followed a link from the challenge that you took on for this.

Ami Rose
19th July 2012, 03:24
Very cute