PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Lying in State - R

kitten
22nd March 2005, 09:22
Lying in State
R-rated Smallville Fanfiction

SPOILER WARNING: General spoilers abound, up to the current episode in U.S./Canadian release.

Disclaimer: Smallville, the characters therein, and all affiliated copyrighted materials are owned by the WB. This is a work of fanfiction not intended for profit or infringement, only for the pleasure of fans of the series.

Distribution: I have posted these stories and have control of them on this site. I don't want them to be posted anywhere else unless I'm the one posting them. Please take down my stories if you have them posted on another archive site. I understand I can't stop you from doing this but I hope by asking politely you'll respect my work and my wishes. If anyone has more comfort and convenience saving the text of a story to their own computer, I have no problem with that.

A/N: An angsty Chlex future, character death. Superman mythos spoilers generally on par with the current comic book universe. When it comes down to life and death, Chloe no longer values truth above everything.

Lying in State

Chloe Sullivan-Luthor sat in the hard wooden seat and tried not to break apart as she looked at the man most people were here to mourn. No, not the man anymore. His body, still and empty on display in a pretty box.

Perhaps his spirit or whatever was left of him was floating somewhere above their heads, spinning and whirling free among the vaulted ceilings of the massive cathedral. It was the largest Metropolis had, because they were anticipating standing-room-only crowds for the funeral. Everyone had known the man he was, by reputation if not personally, and all were eager for a final look at his face. It was a mental souvenir to be told and retold to grandchildren in a few decades. They had seen the man himself, lying in state.

She supposed it didn’t matter to them that the face they would see was built up from sunken decay with wax, and painted to resemble the flesh that would soon be gone. They probably didn’t know about the process the funeral home had for draining the body and sealing it up with glue. They didn’t know how much of him had already been discarded into a red-tinted drain.

Tears rolled down her face as she stared at the body, watched the hands painted nicely and folded carefully over the middle of his chest in the expensive suit. It was mesmerizing to wait for the rise of that chest, to look for a twitch of those fingers. Surely the point of making him look alive was to bring him back and make him walk again. There must be some way to take back this tragedy.

It was inconceivable how much pain she felt, how hard it was to breathe. There was a tinny edge of panic every moment and she was having trouble believing it would ever go away. She knew she didn’t deserve any more peace, accomplice as she was to his death.

Chloe wasn’t sitting with his few relatives, nor was she welcome. Once she had been a favourite to them, accepted in their peculiar way and adored as much as they could. But she had made her choice and given up her role of surrogate daughter. When you married Lex Luthor, loved him and demanded his loyalty, there was no way you could gracefully retreat. Once he was won no woman would have had the audacity to betray that commitment.

She had always carried a surplus of audacity, which was probably why Lex had given her a second look in the first place. One by one she had found all the dark secrets of the men who had surrounded her. Her father’s were easily found - her mother’s defection being the result of a mental illness - and Clark’s would have been equally simple to detect if she hadn’t resisted the urge for so many years. Lionel Luthor’s had been a matter of public record after his trial, even if he hadn’t stayed in prison.

Her husband’s secrets were still surfacing from time to time, horrifying and amusing at turns. He was a rich, powerful man with many interests to protect, and his actions weren’t all legal or moral. But he was also a man who had whispered his love to her before she fell asleep and ate cookies and hot chocolate when he was having a bad day.

That man didn’t exist anymore, and she assuaged the loss by recalling their strange life together.

Chloe had graduated from Smallville High School and left the town behind, intending to keep in casual contact with Clark and Lana but not planning on putting much effort into it. She was still waiting for Clark to trust her with his secrets and still waiting for the Clark-Lana ultimate love to reconnect when Pete had returned to her life. She had missed him more than she’d expected and the quiet love he had lavished her with had been welcome. She had sunk into it like a hot bubble bath and finally been able to do justice to his feelings.

They forged a strong, steady love that lasted for years, then fizzled out by graduation into a friendship. Pete wanted to strike out somewhere new and she loved Metropolis. They had matured into different people than the teenagers who had supported each other through the trials of the strangest small town in the country.

But during their time as a couple, Chloe and Pete had discussed Clark’s secret as the only two people outside of the Kent family who knew it. They had vented the sadness and hurt involved in not being immediately trusted, and the idiosyncrasies of Clark’s Kryptonian physiology. She had finally known why her friend had been so out of character during his summer in Metropolis and learned why he was so cautious about the green meteor rocks. The burden of secrecy was less as they shared it.

After graduating she found a job at a metro magazine and did well with it. Clark reemerged from his travels with a journalism degree and took a job at The Daily Planet, coincidentally ending up partnered with her cousin Lois. They saw each other fondly but infrequently. Her two journalists in training had taken over her old dream, but she was fine with it. She had worked at the newspaper first, and liked magazines for the quality of work she could produce within the longer deadlines. She was busy and content when the assignment came to interview Lex Luthor.

Meeting him again was bizarre, but she had been remembered. The interview had been friendly and he had taken her card afterwards. Once the magazine printed her article about him, Lex asked her to dinner at his penthouse. He was a Metropolis resident once again, having moved from Smallville shortly after she had.

They lived in banter and frivolity before they finally admitted how attached they were to each other. They tried to non date without admitting they were exclusive, then the press got pictures of them together. Once they were in the public eye both insisted it was a take-it-or-leave-it relationship that would play itself out. When they lasted over a year the idea of going home to separate places at the end of the night was lonely, so she moved in with him. After two years he proposed, staring soulfully into her eyes and making her believe they would make it.

They had a beautiful wedding and were touted as the city’s royal couple, but Clark couldn’t leave it alone. His articles were gaining more attention than ever and most of them were exposes of LuthorCorp business. His unquestioning loyalty to Lex had turned 180 degrees and he refused to speak to her as long as her last name was Luthor.

Clark’s alter ego was doing even more to smear her husband’s good name, suggesting things that went beyond what he dared to write under his byline. Under the anonymity of his red and blue costume, Superman derided Lex at every opportunity. Unable to strike out against the man of steel, and unwilling to ruin Clark outright, Lex had been stuck.

Chloe was torn, but she loved Lex and he was being railroaded by Clark’s vendetta. She knew her husband was a complicated man, but he wasn’t the monster portrayed in newspapers. Every PR campaign to rebuild the Luthor good name was rebuked by Superman and then by the average citizen. It was war and Lex was losing.

So she revealed the fatal flaw of the man of steel and entrusted the man she loved to use it wisely. She thought it would be leverage to compel Superman and Clark into silence. She was a fool blinded by love.

Lex had taken his stores of meteor and had weapons made. His wedding band was joined by a Kryptonite ring, and Chloe had ignored the attitude of resentment building between the two men. Lex resented Clark and Superman for living in obscurity, then appearing to gain the public trust in only a few weeks. He had striven to move past his father’s reputation in vain. Clark tried to convince her to mend her ways and leave her marriage, going so far as to kidnap her one day as she left work.

She had been wavering, too, falling under the sway of her old friend’s wholesome morality and her own fears.

A single day after Superman had swept Chloe away to talk her into divorcing Lex, the meteor research had been put into use and only one of the men had survived. Left behind to mourn two wonderful men who had once put aside their differences to be friends, she had lost her place in the world.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered, just in case souls did linger.

Then, because the man she fell in love with was dead and the body on display wasn’t going to draw breath, she walked away from the cathedral and into a waiting limo. Without direction the driver took her back to the penthouse.

Chloe bypassed all the other rooms and headed for the master suite. She was tired and wanted the comfort of her marriage bed. Lying down would quell her guilty conscience and perhaps allow her to sleep.

Her shoes and stockings were off before his voice came from the doorway. The man who had replaced her husband was looking at her kindly, touching her like a lover.

“Are you okay?”

His voice was smooth and concerned and it made her ache for better times. Her return to the penthouse had often been the cue for Lex to stop working and join her in the bed. Now it was the cue for his enemy to act as he would have done in pale imitation.

The man who wasn’t her husband embraced her despite the stiffness in her frame, and toyed with the high neckline of her stark black dress. The hand at her shoulder slid down to her hip and then to the small of her back. She wanted to hate it, but there was a sublime remembrance in feeling it. Physically he was a decent replacement and she was so alone without this delusion.

His lips were warm and soft, melding onto hers gently as she let him guide her to the bed. It reminded her of how she had loved him when she was younger and full of hope. It let her float in a sea of denial. This inadequate man could taste like Lex and smell of his cologne. He knew how to touch her tenderly and fuck her slowly and inexorably as she kept her eyes closed. She knew his face as well as her own, but he was still a stranger she didn’t want to look at too closely.

Instead of following her down to the mattress he held her hand and stroked her hair. He wasn’t such a bad person when they were alone together. He cared that she was hurt, that she would probably be mobbed at the funeral by press and snubbed by the people who used to love her. If his presence wasn’t in such poor taste he would go himself to support her.

Chloe feigned sleep and Lex put her hand down on the pillow, creeping back out to continue working. He had eliminated his nemesis but there were always new adversaries. Even if no one would challenge him, he would fight for better efficiency and tighter operations. It was his nature.

As for her, she had lost her will to fight. She had loved and betrayed three men now, Clark, Pete and Lex. She had pledged herself to Lex’s keeping and taken him into hers but she had failed in both. The truth was a cold companion to her guilt and it didn’t hold any water. She had destroyed her life and so many others.

Hate bubbled under every tear that leaked from her eyes but Lex Luthor had become exactly the man she had asked him to be. What wife could ask for more concerted devotion?

She had lost her husband the moment he killed Clark Kent. He was gone, her love for him was a memory, but she had to stay. He was the only person in the world who would have her, and she had made him a murderer.

Is that what they meant by being made for each other?

Tehzo
22nd March 2005, 10:09
Wow...this was heartbreakingly beautiful. It's a wonderful angst fic- saying wonderful is odd but I really enjoy angst :D. Your writing is amazing...there was hardly any dialogue yet it still inspired strong emotion. The describing of Clark's corpse- the glue and paint, made it more depressing because it was described in a mechanical way, purely informative and unfeeling. I really liked how Chloe and Lex's relationship in the beginning and past marriage was shown as being the most ideal, perfect romance- that just strengthened the fact that their love was doomed. I also really enjoyed Chloe believing that her husband, the man she truly loved was dead and that she now lived only with a pale replacement.

The part where Chloe is thinking about how Lex was constantly beaten down and him not being as bad as what Clark was portraying him as- that kind of got me thinking. After learning Clark's weakness Lex started making plans of an attack, this showed that he'd been thinking about it before. I wonder if he ever suspected Chloe of knowing or if he was just really good at hiding things from Chloe at that time. :o Or maybe I'm thinking way too much about it. Anyway, great story!

Almost forgot, this was my favorite line. :)

Zannie
22nd March 2005, 15:08
Okay--what the hell is going on? I thought I could count on you not to do this to me! *blubbers pitifully* And the despair in this is so final I can't even delude myself into thinking that there will be a happy second part. nonky! Why did you do this to me? And I was on such a blissful high from your update of "Witness Protection" this morning!

This paragraph just about killed me:

His lips were warm and soft, melding onto hers gently as she let him guide her to the bed. It reminded her of how she had loved him when she was younger and full of hope. It let her float in a sea of denial. This inadequate man could taste like Lex and smell of his cologne. He knew how to touch her tenderly and fuck her slowly and inexorably as she kept her eyes closed. She knew his face as well as her own, but he was still a stranger she didn’t want to look at too closely.
I'm not exaggerating! It's so angsty and numbing it hurt me! Natalie, you hurt me! I'll admit to descending into angst occasionally, but I never make that the end!

[HONEST ASSESSMENT] Despite the cruel angstiness, the story is lovely and flawlessly written and heartbreaking. And the last line has a brilliantly ironic twist:

Beautiful, bitterly poignant story. [HONEST ASSESSMENT]

But that means nothing! Because you just made my morning so sad! My dog actually ran away from the horrified noises I was making! I was so happy about accidentally finding an unexpected nonky fic . . . and then this . . .

That's it! Reese started the process, but you've finally pushed me over the edge. From this point on, I'm only writing angsty short fics. No more happy, yummy smut from me. It's all angst all the time from now on. Chloe and Lex in "Complications" will never get to have their victory smut now. And, in "Irrevocable" they'll get in a huge fight over all their secrets and never have sex again--not even in the past. No more happy endings! No more smut! Only unrelieved angst!

(Look how many exclamation points you made me use. I almost never use exclamation points!)

Zannie *deliciously indulging in melodrama this morning*

AlabamaWorley
22nd March 2005, 17:35
Very nice work. I liked how you maintained the mystery of who exactly was whom throughout - I couldn't decide until the end whether Lex had killed Clark or Lex had died and his clone had taken his place.

crankychick
22nd March 2005, 17:45
She had lost her husband the moment he killed Clark Kent. He was gone, her love for him was a memory, but she had to stay. He was the only person in the world who would have her, and she had made him a murderer.

Good work, nonky, on a very well done piece of angst. I'm just going to find a small corner, huddle and sob as I attempt to get that final image now burned into my head *out* of my head.

kitten
22nd March 2005, 18:35
I know. I'm a hypocrite. "Don't angst me in," I say, then I post this. I was holding it for almost two months hoping for a way to fix it at the end . . . But the happiest I could come up with is that Lex is alive and they are still together. It counts for something, right? It was just so miserably good, I couldn't bear to trash it. I'm sorry, especially to Zannie's innocent dog. *pouts, slinks away in shame*

squash
23rd March 2005, 02:10
That was so great, thank you.

Zannie
23rd March 2005, 04:48
I know. I'm a hypocrite. "Don't angst me in," I say, then I post this. I was holding it for almost two months hoping for a way to fix it at the end . . . But the happiest I could come up with is that Lex is alive and they are still together. It counts for something, right? It was just so miserably good, I couldn't bear to trash it. I'm sorry, especially to Zannie's innocent dog. *pouts, slinks away in shame*

I have basically recovered from the trauma you put me through earlier, but I feel compelled to complain that you apologize to my dog, who immediately forgot anything ever happened, but seem rather unconcerned about the psychological damage you may have inflicted on me. Oh well . . . Leila (my very sensitive Cocker Spaniel) says she accepts your apologies but to never do it again.

On a side note, I can't believe you held this for two months without posting it. Your . . . er . . . self-restraint is remarkable. As soon as I write something, I need an immediate . . . uh . . . release.

This story is definitely too good not to post, although I must say that the fact that Lex and Chloe are together at the end counts for absolutely NOTHING. It would have been less angsty if Lex was DEAD. (Sorry about the shouting, but at least I managed to control the exclamation points this time.)

I read the story again, and it is just as lovely and bitterly tragic as it was the first time.

star del mar
23rd March 2005, 08:27
wow...I don't even know what else to say right now. That was an amazing story

Steph*

autumngold
26th March 2005, 20:43
Thank you for the incredible story!! I was seriously confused about whether the funeral was for Lex or Clark!! Very heartbreaking and realistic!!

starmoon
27th March 2005, 10:11
i like this story a lot good work.

purpleant
15th August 2005, 02:54
Wow! :eek: This was a very intense story. I was a little confused as to who had died, but the they way you portrayed Chloe was amazing. You are a very talented writer, and I enjoy all of your stories.
Thank you ;)

Reese
16th August 2005, 05:42
Wait.

What the...? I mean how did...?

Where was I when this was posted? Seriously!?!

An angsty nonky fic? Huh. I'm not sure what to do with this, to be honest. Has the world shifted on its axis? Will Zannie start writing straight fluff with no basis in reality? Will *I* start writing smut?

*almost faints at the idea*

No, no...surely not. This is just one hiccup in the workings of the universe, I'm sure.

Great angsty piece that had me speed reading at the end to figure out who the hell it was waiting for her. Great title, great coverage of Chloe's relationship with all the men in her life (thanks for including Pete...he gets left out so often), great suspense building at the end.

Feel free to dabble in the angst anytime, nonky. Anytime ;)

Reese

zho9
9th February 2006, 16:27
I...uh...wow? That was...too bittersweet and angsty for me without my morning coffee.
Just loved it...despite the unhappy ending - I refuse to accept a fanfic world without a happy Chlex ending. (Actually, I think I like it better because of the ending, this piece couldn't have concluded any other way.)

Pieper
18th May 2006, 00:48
Great job.

rockadaisy
18th May 2006, 04:55
this is such lovely angst. poetic, beautifully written...just fantastic. the desperation is almost tangible, and it gives chloe such a deep sense of character. really nice work.

SVfan1286
12th November 2007, 12:22
Amazing story...such a bittersweet and tragic story, but so beautifully written...simply incrediable!

malugargula
30th December 2012, 08:39
Great fic

Ami Rose
31st December 2012, 23:17
Wow!