PDA

View Full Version : "Tough Question" (PG-13/FRT)

PMD
20th March 2005, 18:09
This was a piece I posted last year on the lists I'm on. Hope you enjoy it, as much as I loved writing it. Next to Lex and Chloe being married, I love doing pieces with them with children. :)

Title: Easter Fic - "Tough Questions"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/FRT - Fan Rated Suitable For Teens

Category: Chlex married, slight humor, futurefic, holiday fic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Not that I can see.

Summary: Lizzy Luthor asks the tough questions.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, and Easter, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, BT2, FFA, MD, SPP, WBFFZ, Malu's site, and N.S. Forums, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to all children who ask the interesting questions and the parents who sometimes have the hard job of answering them. Also, special thanks to David for checking this puppy over. Enjoy.

Easter Fic - "Tough Questions" - by PMD

"Daddy?"

"Yes, Pumpkin?"

"Why do you call me that?"

I stare at my daughter---her smile is her mother's that captivated me years earlier. Her eyes, as steel blue as mine but filled with mirth at the questions she's about to ask me. I have to smile back and then grin, as Chloe walks in.

"She asks the tough questions, doesn't she?" Chloe asks.

"Well, she is her mother's daughter," I quip.

"And her father's daughter too. If I recall, you sometimes ask tough questions too," she volley's back, coming to my side and giving me a small kiss.

"Ewwww---Mommy, why do you and Daddy kiss all the time?"

She turns to Lizzy, a slight grin on her face. "Because we love each other. And someday, Sweetie---you'll meet somebody as nice and as kind as your father and do the same thing."

"No I won't!"

"And why's that, Sweetie?"

"Cause when they made Daddy, they broke the mold!"

She looks at me. "Lex!"

I look as innocent as I can. "I didn't teach her to say that. She thought it all on her own."

She rolls her eyes. "Yeah, I bet."

"Mommy?"

She gets down to our daughter’s level. "Yes, Sweetie?"

"They broke the mold when they made you too."

She pulls her into her arms. "Awwww, Honey, that's the sweetest thing anybody has ever said to me."

I get down to both their levels, giving Chloe a stern look. "So, it's okay for her to say that about you but not that about me?"

She pulls back and lets me join the hug. "Okay---both of us, and her too."

I smile at my diplomatic wife and let out a sigh, happy holding onto both my girls. Then:

"Daddy, you didn't answer my question?"

We both back away from the inquisitive, future reporter. "What was it again?"

"Why do you call me Pumpkin?"

"Because---I love pumpkins."

"Mommy---why is Daddy so lame sometimes?"

"Honey, have you been around Uncle Pete lately?"

"Yes, Mommy. How did you know?"

"Just a wild guess."

She turns her attention to me again. "So?"

I touch her soft hair, a strawberry blonde color, and smile. "Because when you were born, your hair was the color of pumpkins and even though it's changed, I guess the nickname just stuck."

"What's a nickname?"

"A nickname is a name given to somebody you love."

"What's Mommy's, Daddy?"

I look at Chloe and get the stare. I just smile at her and look back at our daughter. "Her nickname was Snarky Sullivan."

"Snarky---why?"

"Because she could snark with the best of them, Pumpkin."

"Oh, so what is it now, Daddy?"

"Hmmmmmmm---let me see if I can remember. Silly, Stylish, no wait, I remember now. Ah---no, I can't tell you that at the moment."

"Why not?"

"You're a bit too young to hear it, Pumpkin."

Now she gives me a stare. "I'm always too young for the fun stuff!"

We snicker at that. Then:

"I can tell you what your father's nickname is, Sweetie."

"What, Mommy?" she asks.

"Cue ball!"

"Because Daddy had no hair?"

"Yep---it's his nickname and always will be. So---finished with the questions because it's almost time to go to the Kent Farm for the Easter Egg Hunt."

"Goody!" Lizzy states, jumping up and down. Then she stops. "Mommy, can I ask a couple more questions?"

"If you can walk and talk at the same time---sure."

All three of us move towards the door, Chloe holding onto one of her hands and me, the other one.

"Okay---my first one is about chickens and Easter eggs. Which came first----the Easter egg or the chicken?"

"Ahhhh---the age old question that will probably be answered, along with the meaning of life, when we move to the next realm of life," I reply, with a glint of humor.

"In other words, you don't know the answer, Daddy," she quips. Can't put anything over on our daughter.

I hear a giggle from Chloe and I have to chuckle. "Well, we're parents and sometimes we don't have all the answers, Pumpkin. So, what's the last tough question that needs to be answered today?"

She stops and we move slightly from her. "Mommy? Daddy?"

"Yes, Sweetie?" we both ask her.

"Where do babies come from?"

"Ahhhhh---hmmmmm---"

The End.

chloedreamer
20th March 2005, 18:26
That was just too cute. And I say the Chicken came first lol

Augustine86
20th March 2005, 20:15
Definitely Cute

meg20
20th March 2005, 20:37
Lots of fun

hfce
21st March 2005, 00:36
That was so cute. I forgot about that one. It was nice to read the second time. :)

Yarvarni
21st March 2005, 05:03
knew that one was coming :-) wonder how the Luthors will handle that little bauble.

PMD
21st March 2005, 08:57
Hey Guys:

Chloedreamer: Awwww, thanks. Yep, I think the chicken came first myself. :: heehee :: Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie.

Augestine86: Awww, thanks. Glad you found it so cute, hon. <g>

meg20: Awww, thanks. Glad you had so much fun with it, hon. <g>

hfce: Awwww, thanks. Glad you had fun with it, the second time around, hon. <g>

Yarvarni:Awww, thanks. You know, I bet they would handle it like all Luthors would in the show---snarkiness or deflecting the question. <g>

And to think this piece was written because my muse had this amusing idea of how those two wouldn't be able to answer that tough question. <g> This years Easter piece will be a side less humor and more sentimental---and Gabe is there for sure. Hope you enjoy it as much as this one.

starmoon
26th March 2005, 00:12
that was so sweet! chloe and lex's daughter lizzy was so cute and smart. i just love this story.

PMD
26th March 2005, 02:41
Hey Starmoon:

So glad you love the story and enjoyed Lizzy. :) I love doing Chlex with children. :) Just as much as I love doing the good old verbal judo dance between Chloe and Lex. <g>

autumngold
27th March 2005, 06:41
Very cute Easter story!! I love Lizzy's last question!! Lex and Chloe have their hands full!!

PMD
27th March 2005, 10:23
Awww---glad you enjoyed it, Autumn. :) That's what happens when you have to very intelligent and inquisitive parents---you get the double dose of it in the child. <g>

Baily007
27th March 2005, 11:40
Just the perfect Easter story - and soooo cute :o)

PMD
27th March 2005, 13:37
Awwww---I'm so glad you liked it, Baily. :) It's funny how a story can begin when you think about the questions of life that children ask. That's how this began---and I had the final question before I got the questions before it. So, guess I kinda worked backward on this piece. :)

Baily007
1st April 2005, 15:19
It's funny how a story can begin when you think about the questions of life that children ask.
...you know, and children ask about so many other topics tooo *hint*!
So I can look forward to much more Lizzy-Stuff? *beg*

PMD
2nd April 2005, 02:13
Hey Baily:

You give me some questions and I'll see what I can come up with. :) Just remember; muse is a PG-13 kinda gal. :) But then, she can do borderline smut too. <g>

teejei
2nd April 2005, 02:46
yeah CHLEX, where DO babies come from?! *evil grin*

PMD
2nd April 2005, 03:18
Hey teejei:

Glad you enjoyed the piece. Now who would say the stork and who would get all technical? :)

teejei
3rd April 2005, 16:56
Now who would say the stork and who would get all technical?
hmmm..pretty hard to say which one. but...

i'd say...Lex with the stork in Lizzy's bedroom. *Clue moment. :D* maybe approaching it along the same lines as the Pumpkin question.

Chloe might be the one to get technical...but not TOO technical. she might be a bit more comfortable explaining it to Lizzy since their both females. and i guess it's a instinct-bond-thingamajig between mother and daughter.

and....and....god, i need to get past this writer's block.

*pokes muse awake and drags her off so cud write new chappie*

PMD
3rd April 2005, 19:27
Hey teejei:

Need my muses help. :) She might be PG-13 but she can rumble with the best of muses. <g>

isera81
5th April 2005, 21:29
it was so cute.

I love doing Chlex with children
and we love reading your stories.
lizzy is really smart !
why don't you write a story featuring an older lizzy?! i'd really like you to continue this series.

PMD
5th April 2005, 22:47
Hey isera:

I'm glad your enjoying my stories, sweetie. :) And with parents like Lex and Chloe, she's got to be smart to keep up with them. :) Now, I'm planning on doing a mother's day piece called In My Daughters Eyes and I was trying to figure out whether I should use Lilly or Lizzy. Which one would you prefer? :)

I've actually done quite a few stories in a series I call How We Never Met---different ways of how Chloe and Lex could have met, through my furtile imagination. If you guys are interested in them, I could start posting them right away? Glad you enjoyed this one, sweetie. :)

teejei
6th April 2005, 19:25
I've actually done quite a few stories in a series I call How We Never Met---different ways of how Chloe and Lex could have met, through my furtile imagination. If you guys are interested in them, I could start posting them right away?

u have more stories? a series? well, seeing the bulk of feedback you get and how positive they are....BRING IT ON! :p

PMD
6th April 2005, 20:32
Hey teejei:

Oh, honey, do you know what you are asking? <g> Better be sitting down for this---I'm not called prolific Peggy for nothing. Course, some I was writing when I was still learning the ropes but I do have over 300 to my name. Not bosting----just stating a fact---my muse, it's my muse. When do I sleep? <g> Okay, I'll start posting the series after I check a couple of them over. They won't be in any sequence since the only thing in common with the characters is the different ways they meet. :) Thanks for asking, sweetie. :)

teejei
6th April 2005, 22:01
Hey teejei:

Oh, honey, do you know what you are asking? <g> Better be sitting down for this---I'm not called prolific Peggy for nothing. Course, some I was writing when I was still learning the ropes but I do have over 300 to my name. Not bosting----just stating a fact---my muse, it's my muse. When do I sleep? <g> Okay, I'll start posting the series after I check a couple of them over. They won't be in any sequence since the only thing in common with the characters is the different ways they meet. :) Thanks for asking, sweetie. :)
whoa, wait a minute...are those 300 all short fics, or are they mixed with some epic-length ones too? :eek:

ok, now that i've overcome the shock, my challenge still stands...BRING IT ON! :D

*i am sooo turning into a fan*

p.s. Prolific Peggy?!....damn straight you are! :p

PMD
7th April 2005, 11:51
Hey teejei:

Well, I guess you might call three-parter collaboration epics, considering how lucky I got to be, with whom I did them with---gee, is that sentence grammatically correct? <g> And there was one piece that took up two parts, because of my muse wanting to get a lot out there to say. But for the most part---it's standalones and some two parters---or three part sequels as you've just seen. And I did do a 4 parter series, at the very beginning.

I've been writing since the first summer smallville was on and my muse is very active at times, I guess.

Well, I'll bring on a lot, sweetie. But I think some of them have been deleted and some, well, as my friends, Kris and Hickchick, can attest too, I am such a perfectionist and sometimes I cringe when I read a piece---mainly for a word missed though.

Awwww----my muse is so a fan of yours now too, as am I, Tee. You know, feedback is payment to all us writers and you and so many on this list are billionaires for all that you give us. Thanks from the bottom of our fanfic writings hearts. Now if I can find a couple more people to read my Veronica Mars pieces. <g>

summer_enchanted
12th April 2005, 22:51
:)Really cute story. I love fics with Lex and Chloe married.:)

PMD
13th April 2005, 08:48
Hey Summer:

I do too. :) I'm glad you liked it, sweetie. :)

darkangel
17th July 2005, 04:47
I loved this fic. The last question was very funny.

kimmie
28th July 2005, 17:47
i love fics where Chloe and Lex have kids and this is one of my faves, its so sweet and Lizzy is adorable...Well done on a great little fic!!!

Kimmie

Thaís
1st September 2005, 23:33
I'm glad this stories keep coming and coming...
They're so cute, and so well written... So wonderfull...

PMD
12th October 2005, 08:52
Hey Guys:

darkangel: Glad you enjoyed the piece and loved the last question---sometimes I just have to finish off a story with a laugh, rather than a sigh. <g>

kimmie: Awww---thanks. :) I love fics with Chloe and Lex having kids too---some fanfic couples just scream that need---and for Lex, well, he needs to prove to himself that he's not his father---even though I know Chloe doesn't need it. And Chloe needs to prove to herself she's not her mother either---even though Lex doesn't need it. Besides, they're so cute when they're around kids. :)

Thais: Awwww---well, with feedback from all you guys out there, they'll keep coming till the cows come home. And I don't even watch the show anymore to get inspiration---guess you guys are my muses now. Glad you are enjoying the stories, sweetie. More to come---I promise.

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 17:01
She stops and we move slightly from her. "Mommy? Daddy?"

"Yes, Sweetie?" we both ask her.

"Where do babies come from?"

"Ahhhhh---hmmmmm---"

The question every parent is afraid of *g*

cosmicpinay80
13th January 2011, 19:45
Very cute story :) Love Chlex with kids.

Ami Rose
13th August 2012, 08:38
Lmao that was soooo cute