PDA

View Full Version : When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (PG-13/FRT)

PMD
18th March 2005, 07:28
Title: St. Patrick's Day Fic - "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 or FRT - Fan Rated Suitable For Teenagers, P for Profanity

Category: Chlex Married, futurefic, songfic, slight angst, Chloe's POV, Holiday Fic, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville

Summary: Gabe sings in an Irish Bar.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, St. Patrick's Day, the song lyrics to When Irish Eyes Are Smiling and My Wild Irish Rose, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece or using the song title as the title of the story, so don't sue me.

Archive: BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, SPP, WBFFZ, Malu's site and N.S. Forums, for the time being. If anybody else want's it, all you have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Happy St. Patrick’s Day, guys and gals. And a special dedication to David and Jay, for their steadfast standing behind me, when it comes to my writing. Enjoy.

St. Patrick’s Day Fic - "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" - by PMD

Prologue: This day is a celebration for Irish men and women all over the world. For my father, it's not, because of a certain person who used to be in our lives.

~

Bar In Smallville

"When Irish eyes are smiling---"

I could hear that from outside of the bar---my father has a very loud voice when drunk. And can't sing on key, whether drunk or not.

I get my singing voice from my grandmother and grandfather---guess it skipped a generation with him.

"Will you please SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I hear from a nearby table, as I walk into the bar.

"No I won't---I'm Irish and this is St. Patrick’s Day and I'm going to sing, whether you like it or not!"

The patron gets up and I walk quickly towards him.

"Let me take care of your bill, Sir," I state, with a slight smile.

"You can take care of my bill and dance with me, Sweetcheeks!"

"I don't think my husband would care for that."

"Husband? He looks old enough to be your father."

"He is my father---my husband is parking the car."

"Oh---well, okay, you take care of the bill and get your Daddy to stop singing and we'll be all even, Hon."

"Thank you," I sigh out.

I hear the front door opening and soon feel him behind me. "Problem, Sweetheart?"

The man before me stares at the man behind me and then it dawns on him. "I didn't know he was your husband. I apologize for saying what I said, Mrs. Luthor."

Being drunk, he must not have realized who I was. Now---well, it pays to have a husband that wields power at times; even to make a drunk, who could be trouble, sober.

"And that was what?" Lex asks, getting around me and glaring at the man.

"It's okay, Honey. I accept your apology, Sir."

Lex looks at me and I raise an eyebrow. "All right, if you accept it, everything's okay."

That's when it starts again and we cringe to hear:

"When Irish eyes are smiling---"

I look over at my father who's tilting a bit. "Lex!"

He sees him and runs over, catching him just before he drops to the floor.

"Hey, Lexy. Where's my daughter?"

"Over here, Daddy."

"Ah---you haven't dropped her yet---good. I would have to kill you if you hurt her heart, you know."

He smiles at my father. "Yes, I know. And your daughter is definitely a keeper to me."

"Yeah, just like her mother was to me, except she didn't think I was a keeper. You know what she said to me once."

"What, Gabe?" he asks, as he helps him walk over to where I stand.

"Daddy, please, it hurts you when you talk about this."

"Please, I want Lex to know---I'll be fine," he states, sobering up a bit.

Lex and I help him over to a table and we sit. We stare at him for a minute and then he speaks:

"She said I was a dumb Irish bloke and I would never amount to anything. That I would never create anything worth having in this world---even with her help."

Lex places his hand on mine and squeezes it. Then I watch him take it away and place my father's hand over mine.

"Feel that?"

My father nods his head.

"You know what that is?"

"My daughter's hand?"

"Daughter being the operative word. And you know what she is?"

"A human being?"

"Your greatest accomplishment."

"My greatest accomplishment? My greatest accomplishment. You're right, Lex."

While I listen to this exchange, I feel the tears in my eyes and bless the day I met this man and figured out he was the one for me, not Clark.

I take my other hand and place it over Lex's. I smile as he looks at me and he gives me one back.

"Thank you."

"I'm only speaking the truth."

"That's true," I state, before laughing.

"Don't get too full of yourself, Mrs. Luthor."

"With you around, I won't."

I turn my attention to my father. "Are you ready to go, Daddy?"

"I believe I am," he replies, getting up and swaying a bit. "Maybe you better let me stay at the mansion tonight," he adds.

Lex is by his side, quickly. I join them and we start out of the bar. As we leave, my father resides us with another song:

"My wild Irish rose---"

The End.

autumngold
18th March 2005, 16:18
I really enjoyed protective Lex in your story!! Thanks for writing a St. Patrick's Day fic!!

PMD
18th March 2005, 16:30
Awww---thanks, Autumn. :) I enjoy writing a protective Lex a lot---and a protective Chloe too. :) Muse really has fun writing this scenerio, even if Lex might get a snarky remark about it from Chloe at times and visa versa :) Glad you enjoyed the piece, sweetie. Now to see what will happen in Easter. :: heehee ::

Queen Of Tact
18th March 2005, 16:40
aww that was so cute.... loved it.... It's so fun to be Irish...

CC

PMD
18th March 2005, 18:36
Awwwww----thanks, Queen of Tact. :) You know, I don't know where this came from---oh, my muse, but really, she's been stubborn lately. Guess she felt I suffered enough. <g>

hfce
19th March 2005, 02:55
Oh I loved it. That was great. :D

Hope ;)

PMD
19th March 2005, 03:12
Hey, I love your green icon, Hope. :) Thanks, sweetie. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it. More to come, I promise you---or my muse does. <g>

Tehzo
19th March 2005, 06:06
This was wonderful and sweet :). I loved how Lex was with Gabe the most...it was just so sweet and beautifully written. I'm usually all about the angst, but I really enjoyed your story.

The man before me stares at the man behind me and then it dawns on him. "I didn't know he was your husband. I apologize for saying what I said, Mrs. Luthor." This part was great :D! I love powerful Lex who can scare someone without even speaking.

Natasha
19th March 2005, 06:27
This was such a great story. It showed the side of drunk , but funny and sad Gabe

PMD
19th March 2005, 10:40
Thanks, Tehzo and Natasha for your wonderful feedback. The one thing that I missed from the show was not seeing much of Gabe around. I guess we fanfic writers had to come up with our own version. And I just felt that maybe Gabe might need a little pick me up, once in a while. And the person who would understand the most about knowing what a good father looks like, rather than a bad one, would be Lex.

As to Lex and his look---you really want to get on the bad side of that character? <g> Seriously, the character wields power and yet has the one thing that most want or have---a parent who's alive that loves him. That's why the most touching scenes for me, in the show, were the ones between Jonathan and him---and why I wrote a piece from a series I call How We Never Met, where Jonathan was his father---or adopted father. :)

As to drunk Gabe, well, not much experience in writing that but I thought, what the heck. :) Glad you liked it, sweetie.

More to come. :)

Yarvarni
20th March 2005, 05:11
Poor Gabe....that biatch needs to pay for leaving them

LarkLuthor
20th March 2005, 06:15
GABE FIC! Yea!

Nicely done.

Lark

PMD
20th March 2005, 11:00
Hey Yarvani and Lark:

Oh yeah, that ex of Gabe's needs to pay for what she said. Any ideas, Yarvani? <g>

Lark---you know, looking back at this piece, I thought I was just doing a Chlex pairing but now---you're right---it is a Gabe piece. :) I'll have to check through my stories to see if I can find another one with him in it---it'll have Chlex there too, for sure. I love doing him---just wished he was on the show more often. :(

Thanks for the great feedback, guys. It's much appreciated from all of us.

isera81
20th March 2005, 14:53
This was a beautiful story. I love lex being so sweet with chloe and her father.
lex and chloe happily married?! :)

PMD
20th March 2005, 17:48
Hey isera:

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, sweetie. :) And I do love to write them as a married couple. In fact, working on an easter piece right now that they are married and have a little girl, who's not feeling so well. :( But she'll feel better soon. Thank you for the great feedback, hon. :)

leik2
21st March 2005, 20:59
Beautiful. Loved it, thank you.

Yarvarni
22nd March 2005, 04:17
hmmmm lets marry her off to lionel then plant evidence that she is going to take him down........or just boil her in oil? tar and feather? honey a stake and a fire ant bed? like any of those? my personal fave is the honey and ants....just seems a bad way to go......

PMD
22nd March 2005, 08:35
Hey Leik2 and Yarvarni:

Glad you enjoyed it, Leik2. :) And thank you for the wonderful feedback. :)

Yarvarni: Heehee---I love the way your mind works. <g> Hmmmm---the first one might not work, since---what would that make Chloe to Lex if Lionel and her married? Okay, definitely wall of weird material. But I love the other ones. Or stick her on the island Lex was on and have her go stir crazy. :)

starmoon
26th March 2005, 00:08
that was so sweet but also sad. i hope whoever chloe's mom was is misarble and alone she deserves it for treating another person that way.

PMD
26th March 2005, 02:48
Hey Starmoon:

Well, her first mistake was thinking Gabe was a failure. She probably is alone and miserable---I don't have any plans to continue but if you have any ideas---and that means anybody, guys---I'm game for it. :) Glad you enjoyed it, even if it was another sad one. Once in a while, my muse just has to let that emotion out and then she feels much better---as do I.

~*~Tasha~*~
22nd June 2006, 00:34
Awww ... that was sweet. Loved it!!

Ami Rose
22nd January 2007, 16:02
that was cute

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 13:59
Great view on Gabe and the realtionship between him and Chloe