PDA

View Full Version : Assume nothing (PG13)

santija
1st March 2005, 14:39
Title: Assume nothing
Author: Santija
Disclaimer: not mine, don’t sue
Rating: PG13
Spoilers: well, um, none really
Category: Angst people, angst, don’t you just love it!!
A/N: Well here you have it folks, another piece of crap from me, seriously why do I keep writing, I suck, why don’t you just step away from the screen and let me erase the whole thing, I said step away, fine, if you’re still here you might as well read it, but don’t hate me later, remember I warned you!!

Would love some feedback, good or bad.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this.” Her voice almost broke at the words, but she managed to get the sentence out without crying. Her eyes stayed focused on the trampled roses on the floor and the thousands pieces of broken glass. She couldn’t bear looking at him right now, not when he was like this.

One piece of glass caught her eye; the blood on the edge hadn’t dried yet. Her heart constricted, for a second, then found release. He was hurt. And she couldn’t bring herself to care. Once she cried for him, when he couldn’t. She used to hold his hand and stand strong beside him, even when it was easier to just turn away.

That’s what everyone else did.

His back was turned towards her and he was gazing out over the city below him. Darkness had fallen hours ago and few lights were on. Screams came from the other side of town; police cars speeded past an old lady, almost running her over.

His head turned slightly and his eyes stopped at the little girl stepping out of the building across from him. Her hair was brown and her skin pale, ten years old, he figured. For a second he wondered why she was out this late, but then realized he didn’t care. In her left arm she was holding a ragged doll and with her right arm she was pushing a small doll carriage.

She stopped before crossing the street and placed the doll safely in the carriage. She combed the doll’s hair with her hand and smiled to her self.

He angled his face and took a step closer to the full size window. His face didn’t strain a muscle; his eyes didn’t show anything sign of awareness. Not even when he realized the sirens where getting closer.

The little girl laughed and pushed with all her might the small carriage away from her and over the street. When the carriage was midways a car rounded the corned and drove right into it, sending the little doll flying.

The little girl clasped her hands over her mouth and ran out to catch her doll. The police car that was following the other car didn’t see her. They were driving to fast. They didn’t have a chance to stop.

He blinked.

When the police car finally came to a halt, one of the policemen looked out at the little girl sprawled out on the payment. The car before them speeded away, the police called for an ambulance before driving after them.

He looked as the bloodstain around the little girls head became bigger and bigger. He watched as the police drove away. He saw, from his highest tower, as the girl took her last breath. And he turned away and closed the blinds.

“What happens next?”

Chloe jumped from the voice coming behind her. She spun around in her chair and stared annoyed into the face of Lex Luthor.

“Do you always sneak up at teenage girls working late at their school paper Mr Luthor?” She asked while turning back to her computer and shutting down the screen. She took a deep breath to compose herself. She wasn’t in the mood for a verbal combat, but when it came to Lex she never seem to have a choice. And it wasn’t like she was going to let the smug arrogant playboy get the last word.

Lex smirked and walked beside her towards the couch. The smirked remained on his lips as he gracefully sat down. He kept his eyes on her, even thought she wasn’t looking at him. “Do you always work this late Ms Sullivan?”

Chloe angled her head so he couldn’t see the outline of her face and pursed her lips. She knew he was watching her, she could sense his eyes. She closed her eyes for a brief second before commanding herself to snap out of it.

So what if they hadn’t talked in four months? So what if after his father had been put to prison he had ceased to call her. So what if she had been pushed aside like she meant nothing. She had fulfilled her task and she was no longer needed. She had been the one foolish enough to think they were actually friends or more. It was bluntly obvious, by the tone of his voice, and the way he said her last name, that she was or had just been another pawn in his game.

She turned her chair towards him and met his eyes. He was wearing a navy blue sweater and a pair of black pants. He was looking awfully casual for being Lex Luthor. He had his arms resting on the back of the sofa and his ankles crossed. His eyes never left hers, but all she could see when she looked in them were two blue orbs, and no feelings.

She tried to keep her face as blank as his, trying not to care. But she must have failed because his lips twitched into a smirk, like he knew what she was doing. At that second, he stood up, as did she.

He walked over to her once again. “So what happens next?” He asked, stopping before her. She looked up at him with furrowed brows. “With your story.” He explained and motioned with his head against the computer screen. “What happens next?”

“I-I don’t know.” She said and inwardly scolded herself for stuttering, but his proximity threw her off. She hadn’t been this close to him in months. His cologne made her head run over all precious memorises that had been buried deep inside. Deep down so that hopefully one day they would be forgotten. It hadn’t worked so far.

“I see.” His voice had changed, darker, quieter. And his eyes had left her and found her lips. She noticed and slowly licked them. If to entice or tease, she wasn’t sure.

His eyes flickered away from her small red lips and back to her enchanting green eyes. He reached up and pushed a straw of hair behind her ear. She inhaled sharply and took a small step back. Lex clenched his hand gently into a fist and let it drop along his side.

Lex cleared his voice and turned toward her computer screen again. “What does his wife do?”

Chloe blinked several times, she knew he was just trying to ease the situation, but why he was even there she didn’t know. She answered when he had turned back his attention to her. “Who said she’s his wife?”

Lex raised his left eyebrow slightly. “I assumed…”

“That’s the problem with people.” She interrupted. “They all assume and sometimes the wrong things.”

Lex lowered his brow and nodded once, slowly. He stayed quiet and didn’t make any sign to continue the conversation, so Chloe open her mouth to end it, but she wasn’t fast enough.

“So who is she?”

Chloe sighed and bowed her head, concentrating on her feet. “To him?”

“Yes.” He took a step closer.

“No one.” She drew in a breath. “She’s nothing to him anymore.” She looked up and drew in a breath; he was standing closer than before now, too close.

“Why?” Lex tilted his head and once again his finger grasped her hair, but this time he kept stroking it and she let him. She felt her eyes watering up; she knew they weren’t talking about her short story anymore. Her eyelids slowly closed and she sank into his sweet touches.

“Because he doesn’t have the strength to love her. It takes so little to hate and so much to love.” She whispered and he froze. Hand still in her hair, but not moving. A teardrop ran down her cheek, past her nose and landing on her lower lip. Her tongue flicked out and tasted the salty drop.

Lex stepped back and let his arm once again drop to his side. Chloe reluctantly opened her eyes and was meet by something she was not expecting. In his eyes, for the first time in a long time Chloe saw something instead of the blank vacant look he always carried with him. Unfortunately it wasn’t what she wanted to see, it was the most awful thing she had ever seen, she saw his hurt.

And she had brought it on. She hated herself.

“Do you think he’ll ever get it? The strength I mean.” His voice was uneven, so unlike him.

Chloe swallowed, her heart ached. She wished she could go back and not have said it, but then again, what good would that have done? It was the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. She had first experience on that.

She shrugged and let a few tear run down her face. “I don’t know. Like I said, I don’t know what happens next.”

Lex watched her as she silently cried. Chloe wasn’t sure how long they stood like that, but after a while a knocking on the door interrupted them. She quickly wiped off her few remaining tears and took a deep breath.

The door creaked open and a janitor stuck his head through the crack. He first saw Lex and smiled, but when he saw Chloe’s red eyes he opened the door fully and stared accusingly at Lex.

The janitor stepped in and walked up beside Chloe. “Mister, only students are allowed here at this time, I think I’m gonna have to ask you to leave.”

Chloe smiled briefly at the janitor attempt to protect her.

“I was leaving anyway.” With a second glance at Chloe he walked out.

Chloe felt the tears falling again. The janitor looked between the back the bald man leaving and Chloe. “I’m sorry Ms Sullivan, I saw your tears and I assumed he…”

“That’s okay Gus, we all assume, and sometimes we assume the wrong things.” Chloe said and stared after Lex down the hall, hoping that maybe she had assumed the wrong thing when she thought he no longer cared. Hoping and wishing that someday, he might find the strength.

The end... or is it?

Sezza
1st March 2005, 14:46
I'll be taking that ...or is it? as a good sign and pray that there is a happy Chlex sequel in the works.

Loved this, I really do hope you continue with a sequel.

star del mar
1st March 2005, 18:15
That was sad, but I liked it...a lot. I hope you do continue with a sequel, I'd like to see what happens

Steph*

lexchloe
1st March 2005, 18:26
The end... or is it?

No, no, no, no, no. There has to be more than that, some form of resolution. That was so :cryblue: and yet I feel the need for more. Well done.

autumngold
1st March 2005, 18:48
Oh please, please, please write a sequel!! We've had the sadness and tears, now it's time for Lex to show his backbone!! Excellent story!!!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

AlabamaWorley
1st March 2005, 18:59
To quote the man himself... what happens next? :blinkkiss:

This is a beautiful piece, it takes a lot of skill to create something so moving in so relatively few words. I'd love to see more, but it works as a touching standalone as well. Thank you for sharing it.

Gaia
1st March 2005, 19:47
:crygreen: Sequel? Please?
:chlexsign4:

June
1st March 2005, 20:01
*sniffs* What is that I smell? A sequel you say? Well, I think that is a wonderful idea.

Great fic, can't wait for the rest that entials just what does happen next ;)

Reese
1st March 2005, 22:36
Originally posted by AlabamaWorley@Mar 1 2005, 08:59 AM
To quote the man himself... what happens next? :blinkkiss:

This is a beautiful piece, it takes a lot of skill to create something so moving in so relatively few words. I'd love to see more, but it works as a touching standalone as well. Thank you for sharing it.
Uh-huh. What she said :)

It's true that it's a great piece by itself. It is. Really. But you see you put that little tease at the end. And that was your undoing. Because now I'm expecting there to be more.

Seriously. More, please.

And man, am I glad that the part in the beginning was just...uh...fiction (realized half-way through that sentence that...well, you know). Loved the interaction between Lex and Chloe...loved how they danced around the issue of the two of them by talking about the story.

But my favorite part? The janitor. Yep. I said it. As someone who used to spend some late hours at school herself, a protective janitor is a welcome thing. Granted, he interrupted a Chlex moment -- I get that -- but it was still a charming moment, IMO.

Come back with more...soon...please.

Reese

Krysia
2nd March 2005, 01:50
:crygreen:
you can't just stop here! Please continiue!

isera81
3rd March 2005, 23:16
The end... or is it?

No! This is an interesting beginning and you better to continue this story.
I loved especially the first part: it is so powerful and emotional.
Chole seems so heartbroken and lex almost emotionless: i want to know the events that led to this. Please!

suspension of disbelief
4th March 2005, 03:28
please continue..... :biggrin:

leik2
4th March 2005, 07:07
So what happens next?

starmoon
15th March 2005, 08:58
I like this story.

bluengreenswmer
25th April 2005, 06:15
I'll be taking the or is it...as a sign that this will be continued, no? Good, good. We're all on the same page now.

suspension of disbelief
25th April 2005, 06:50
where's the sequel????

teejei
25th April 2005, 18:25
3 words:

Get. Back. Here! :tantrum:

um...please? :o

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 11:19
Great...what a cliffy *gr*

Ami Rose