PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Seeking Destiny (Pg13)

Blaire023
20th April 2003, 06:25
Title: Seeking Destiny
Author: Blaire023
Rating: Pg13?
A/N: Just a warning letting Peggy know not to read this one, she's asked me to let her know when it comes to my fics.
Summary: Futurefic, When Lex chooses his destiny over the woman who could help him change it, angst is sure to follow.
Disclaimer: I definitely own nothing of Smallville, and if I did, just about all of Kris's fics would be made into episodes. (for the sake of smut on the WB)

How the Mighty Will Fall:

*~* Year 2006*~*

She sat and stared at the chipping of the rose colored Formica table. Her hands immediately reached forward and she nudged her thumbnail under a piece of chipped plastic. She peeled at it delicately until she had made the hole just a little bit bigger. The waitress' voice caught her attention. "What can I get for you sweetie?"

Past images of her and Lex whisped through her mind. 'Him.' She whispered quietly. The waitress hovered over her and Chloe replied, "Nothing, thanks." The waitress gave her a forlorn look and nodded before turning to the counter. The ring on her thumb turned lightly, it barely fit. Just enough to keep it in place. She looked down at it and sighed. A fresh breath of air left her lungs. She remembered the words he said to her before he walked away. "You can't save me, Chloe, I was stupid to think you could." Her eyes welled up with tears as she replayed the scene from that day in her mind.

*~*A year earlier*~*

He sat across from her at the picnic table. The squirrels freely coming up to them and stealing their crackers. "Hey, what's on your mind?" she said to him. He looked up at her from his sandwich. "I was just thinking," her gasp interrupted him. "Lex Luthor thinking, in broad daylight? Wow, go on...really I must know." His look remained the same. No hint of amusement passed. "Lex?" She asked her voice hinting at the worry she was beginning to feel.

"I can't do it Chloe. I love you so much, but I can't do this anymore."

She looked at him in awe. "Okay, so scratch picnics off our list of Sunday outtings." She said dully.

He glanced down at his ring finger. "It's not the damn picnics Chloe, I mean this." He held up his left hand and the ring reflected a ray of sun. The gold gleamed brightly.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" She asked quietly. Her voice bubbled with tears that she felt rising up.

He looked at her once again and stared into her eyes. His eyes turned dark and icy and she watched as his emotions slipped passed them. He slid the ring off his finger and lay it on her napkin. She looked down at it and felt the tears spill down her cheek. "Don't do this Lex." She said pleadingly. "I can't take this shit. You are not leaving me for your fucking self proclaimed destiny."

He looked down at the ring as if contemplating her words and without looking at her stood up and stepped back from the table. "I was wrong. I was wrong to think you could change my world. You've done your best. I'll always love you Chloe and I'll always remember what we had."

"Have." She said firmly correcting him out loud. He turned away and walked a few paces. He glanced over his shoulder

"You can't save me, Chloe, I was stupid to think you could."

*~*Year 2006*~*

She felt a person slide into the booth across from her. "Chloe, you need to come home." She looked up at Clark. Her tears spent on washed away images and meaningless words. He hadn't meant it. The divorce papers were one thing but the pictures of him, women glued to his arm in each article. That had done it for her. "I will." She replied quietly. "I just..." her voice broke and tears rushed her face. She sobbed quietly turning the ring around her finger. "Clark." She cried as she put her head down on the table.

He moved to sit beside her. His arm hugging her tight to him. "I know, I know." He said stroking her wild blonde locks. "But you need to come home. Joey needs you."

Images flashed before her eyes.

*~*One year earlier*~*

She sat at the picnic table and picked up the ring. She slid it onto her thumb as she watched him disappear onto the street. Her hand stroked her stomach. "It's just me and you, kid." She said through choked tears. "Just me and you." Her voice trailed off in a whisper. She sat there for an hour before she heard her phone ring.

"Yes?" she asked quietly.

"Hey, did you tell him."

Her voice broke on her answer. "Not yet."

Clark sighed on the other line. "Chloe, he's going to love it. Don't worry, you two are so perfect for each other."

"Clark." She rasped out, "I need you to come get me."

"Chloe what's wrong?"

"I'm at the park, Lex...he..." her sob controlled her voice and thoughts.

Clark was there within seconds.

*~*Year 2006*~*

"Chloe, its okay, come home." She nodded silently and let Clark lead her out of the booth. "Everything will be okay." He said hoping to reassure her. It had been almost a year and she had had no word from Lex. No word asking about her. No contacting her. Their beautiful baby boy had been born and she thought for weeks what to name him. He had ended up a Junior but with her last name. He looked so much like his dad when she held him in her arms the first time. She kissed her baby boy and cried into the night.

*~*Year 2011*~*

She stood on the steps of the LexCorp building trying to gather the courage to go to the doors. She saw her reflection in the glass and a sigh escaped her lips. She nodded once and entered the building.

As she approached the receptionists desk the older woman looked at her respectively.

"Chloe Sullivan, PR of Wayne Enterprises here to see Lucas Luthor."

The woman typed something into her computer and nodded. "Fourth floor."

Chloe smiled and walked to the elevators. She pushed the clear number four and straightened her sleek pantsuit. She moved her weight from one foot to another and pushed a stray piece of hair out of her eyes. The ding sounded and she stepped out of the elevator and up to the receptionist desk.

The young lady looked her up and down and frowned at her. "Can I help you?"

Chloe forced the smile to stay on her face, "Chloe Sullivan, here to see Lucas Luthor."

The woman, if you could call her that, pushed a button and said, "Your 2 o'clocks here."

"Send her in." came the voice from the other line.

"Go right ahead." She motioned with one hand to the silver door in front of her. Chloe knocked once and entered the room. She walked over to Lucas and held out her hand, "Chloe Sullivan, Wayne Enterprises." He shook her hand and she turned around to find herself looking down into the face of the man sat in the chair. His gaze met hers and the shock on his face melted away into an uneven mask of emotions.

She wasn't sure what to do, "Chloe Sullivan, Wayne Enterprises." She repeated in the same upbeat voice and held out her hand. He stood and took her hand. He gazed at it and saw the gold band adorning her thumb. He let his hand stay there. She withdrew quickly when she noticed him eyeing the band and backed up a step. Lucas watched as the scene played out before him. "Ms Sullivan, this is my partner, Lex Luthor." She nodded in Lucas' direction and then sat down in the seat beside the one Lex had risen from.

Lex sat back down and looked directly at his brother. "Shall we move into the conference room or are you comfortable enough here."

"Here is fine." Chloe replied.

"Okay then, lead on." Lucas motioned with his hands to her breif case.

She sat up straight and crossed one leg over the other, balancing herself on her stilleto. "Wayne Enterprises is interested in a case of research LexCorp recently entered into. On behalf of Bruce Wayne I'd like to deem Wayne Enterprises worthy of aiding your research with some of our own." She removed a manila folder with the Wayne Enterprises Logo on the front. She handed one copy to Lucas and another to Lex.

Lucas looked over his copy and Lex pretended to. Lucas nodded. "You really know what your doing over there don't you?"

Chloe grinned, "Yes, Mr. Luthor, we try."

Lucas smiled at her. "I can see that. What I don't see are financial figures that would represent the percentages of the cost."

Chloe grinned again. "Did that sentence even make any sense? He has got to be kidding me."

"The split would be even, straight 50/50. We'd like to move the motion of investing in this as soon as possible and preferably discuss guidelines later."

Lex looked over at her. "No."

Chloe nodded once, "Okay, well, I see that you two are in a disagreement." She stood and extended out her arm. Lucas looked at it and back to Lex. "Please Ms. Sullivan, take a seat."

Chloe sat back down, her posture straighter than before.

"Lex, may I remind you that you put me in charge, personally of the finances here and investments. This was originally a meeting between this lovely young lady here and I. If you don't like what you hear, leave or be quiet. I'm trying to do my job here and I'd appreciate it if you'd let me."

Lex shrugged in response. "Fine, but I'm staying." He said looking at Chloe for a response, she didn't give one.

She eyed Lucas and opened her own folder back up taking out two more papers. Handing them each one. "Now, this is the contract we have planned out. Any revisions that you may have can be faxed to us and if you wish within the next month we can meet with our attorney's."

Lucas nodded. "And thus, the business part of this meeting wraps up."

Lex shifted uncomfortably. "If I could ask a few questions to Miss Sullivan."

Lucas glared at him and Chloe turned her body to face him. "Go ahead."

"Why, exactly, is Wayne Enterprises interested in Smallville related research?"

"I wouldn't be the one to answer that. Mr Wayne would most likely be the one to redirect that particular question to. Anything else?"

He expected her to be uncomfortable under his gaze. She sat firmly. "You claim that Wayne Enterprises wants to enter into this financially 50/50 splitting the bill, but under what pretense?"

"Oh, he's good." Chloe thought to herself before picking and choosing her words carefully. "Mr. Wayne believes that in his good nature and as a show of good business ship that us splitting the costs evenly will refinance what you've spent on the research up till now. We only became aware of the project or we would have come through with a proposal sooner."

"So, you're saying it's to benefit us?"

"That's accurate, yes."

"Okay, that's all I needed to know."

Chloe stood above him and added, "Of course, we will also have a team of researchers along with our own set of data that we will administer to you as soon as evidently possible."

Lex nodded and looked over at Lucas. "It's your call."

Lucas nodded and held his hand out for Chloe. "Well, then, I think we have a deal."

Chloe took his hand firmly. "Thank you Mr. Luthor, you won't regret this."

She exited the office without another look at Lex and retreated to the lobby to wait for her ride.

*~*A few moments later*~*

Lex came down the stairs in hopes of catching up with Chloe. After seeing the ring still on her finger his heart was sending him mixed emotions. He still loved her and he always did. As he rounded the corner he noticed her sitting patiently in the lobby. Her arms rested on the arms of the small leather chair and her legs crossed absentmindedly her foot swayed with her thoughts.

"Chloe?" Lex said as he stood a good distance from her.

She looked up at the voice. "Ahh, Lex, how've you been." she said dryly pushing off the arms of the chairs to a full height posture-perfect.

"I'm good. And you?"

"I've been better." She turned in the direction of the doors as another voice called out to her.

"Mommy!" A little boy with red hair and hazel eyes bounded towards her.

She embraced him in a quick hug and swung him up into her arms. "Joey, I'd like you to meet Mr. Luthor." She said with a smile on her face.

"Hi, Mr. Luthor." The little boy snuggled closer to Chloe.

"Joey." Lex said as he smiled at the boy. "Cute kid." He said to Chloe.

"Yeah, I'd like to think so." She replied with a ruffling of the little boys hair.

"So, who's the lucky man?" Lex asked quietly.

Her eyes met his and she choked back tears. She turned her head away from him when she noticed a figure standing in the doorway. She let Joey go and he ran to Clark.

"Clark." Lex said under his breath.

"Coming Chlo?"

Chloe nodded. "Yeah, just give me a sec."

Clark nodded at her and walked back out the doors.

She turned to look at Lex. "No, we're not together. I never remarried. Hence the ring on the thumb." She held up her right hand.

Lex looked at her and saw the pain resurfacing. "Should I even ask about the boy?"

She shrugged at his question. "Ask yourself what Joey's short for, who he could have possibly inherited red hair from and you just may not have to ask me." She stared at him expectantly until his emotions surfaced in his eyes and a tear rolled down his face.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"And what? Make you come back to me? Lex, you didn?t want a family. If you had, we would still be together. You let your destiny choose you. That day in the park. I was waiting for our walk to tell you. You left me sitting in a park alone with the biggest secret in the world.?

Lex turned his face away from her. "So that's it huh?"

"Yeah, Lex. That was it five years ago. Can't say I never stopped loving you, because I still do. But I also never stopped hating you. So it's even, we're even. You taught me this." She motioned to her face and placed upon it was a mask of emotionless features. Her features were cold and icy and she smirked at him. "How does it make you feel to know you turned me into this?" She walked away from him without emotion, without regret. She turned to him and slid the ring off her thumb. She flicked it up into the air as if flipping a coin and he caught it.

"Good Bye, Lex."

The End

I love feedback, although everyone will most likely want a sequel, I'm saying no. For now, atleast. So for all that...

scifichick774
20th April 2003, 07:00
I...I think you've rendered me speechless. That was just heartbreaking. And therein lies the fault with the whole destiny thing. You either choose it or let it choose you and Lex blew it big time.

I actually don't think it needs a sequel. It was very angsty and had an apt ending. Great job!

dsapiro
20th April 2003, 07:16
That was a great story. So angsty and sad though. Why did he have to leave her? That "for now" didn't sound too sure. You should deffinitely do a sequal.

Sway
20th April 2003, 11:09
i'm actually agreeing that it may not need a sequal. I'm feeling the 'girl power' vibe. i'm happy she gave back as good as she got.

...but then again, i wouldn't protest if you decided to do one...

i loved it. i'd have to say it is one of the top 5.

:blinkkiss: Sway

hfce
20th April 2003, 18:06
Wow that was really sad. :crygreen: good job.

Hope

drina
20th April 2003, 20:43
Nice angsty piece. I like the way it end but i definitely won't mind a sequel. ;) however it's up to you. i wanna :hammer: lex. haha, if u do write a sequel, make it as scruciating for lex as possible, ie maybe chloe falling in love with another man, or hearing Joey calling Clark" Daddy". :devil: i'm evil, aren't i.

bluemoongirl23
20th April 2003, 22:57
Wow. That was horrible. But in that good way. Stupid Lex and poor Chloe. But, I love how strong she is.

Blue

Elviriel
23rd May 2003, 01:22
Wow. It was so sad. Stupid stupid Lex...
:chlexsign2:

sabby
23rd May 2003, 03:28
Wow, I'm even more depressed now. I shouldn't have read this in my current mental state *curls into a ball starts to rock back and forth* not good, not good at all. Can you make it better? I mean it really is appropriate like that but you had that for now in there and well uhm I'd like to at least see him grovel!

hugs,
Sabby

pipersmum
13th June 2005, 14:44
Really sad but Chloe remained strong which was good and stupid Lex :bang: what an idiot!

JosiCuervo
13th June 2005, 15:10
Wow...the knot in my stomach is a reminder as to why I don't typically read angst...nice fic though...compelling...

kimmie
15th June 2005, 21:26
Oh my god... wheres my happy ending? oh right I forgot I'm in the angst section!!!!
The story was amazing and so sad, stupid stupid Lex!!!

Kimmie

darkangel
5th July 2005, 02:48
it broke my heart but i was glad that chloe was able to move on with her life.

starmoon
7th July 2005, 02:57
that was so sad i want to cry but chloe did the right thing and lex will have to live with it.

Dailyplanet28
7th July 2005, 04:36
Angsty but good. I knoe u wrote no sequels but a sequel would be great. Ok I'm kinda slow on this so dont think I'm stupid ... whats Joey short for?

arkakitty
9th July 2005, 11:15
Sooo sad.... But I love it anyway :)

Tanschana
12th August 2008, 02:49
Wow
wow
sniff, sniff
wow
wow

Amazing Story!

dkfuryan
24th June 2009, 17:58
totally wicked story - I love strong Chloe even if it is Lex making her strong through his stupidness. Thanks!

Ami Rose
29th October 2013, 16:54
I...I think you've rendered me speechless. That was just heartbreaking. And therein lies the fault with the whole destiny thing. You either choose it or let it choose you and Lex blew it big time.

...wow...