PDA

View Full Version : Lost Souls (R) 1/1

Reese
20th February 2005, 05:45
Title: Lost Souls
Author: Reese
Rating: R (language, angst)
Disclaimer: They're not mine...blah blah blah...wish they were...blah blah blah.
Author's Notes: Okay, don't hate me. This came to me at 4am the other night after excessive consumption of peanut butter cookies. What I didn't know at the time was that they were dark, angsty, evil peanut butter cookies.

So yes, I blame the cookies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

To June and Zannie: Man, I'm sorry. I mean it...I'm really, really sorry. I don't even like me right now.

“Don’t look at me like that.”

He doesn’t say anything, just walks past her into the changing room.

She watches him and waits. They’ve done this before. She knows the drill.

She hears him changing in the other room. A loud and violent display of undressing.

He’s so angry, he can’t control it.

She didn’t realize this would happen tonight. She’s not sure she’s prepared.

Then she realizes she’s been waiting for this for a long time.

He walks back into their bedroom, no longer in his formal wear, but still wearing the same disapproving glare.

“How could you?”

She just shrugs and sits on the edge of the bed. This is the part where he starts pacing.

“How could you do this? And then not tell me? After all this time…after everything we’ve been through?”

“I’m sorry.”

“You slept with my father, didn’t tell me about it, married me and then let my father tell me -- tonight of all nights -- and all you can say is ‘I’m sorry’?”

“It was a long time ago.”

He just stares at her for a moment, his mouth slightly open. He’s being uncharacteristically melodramatic, she observes. It doesn’t suit him.

She’s starting to get bored with this discussion.

“And it’s not like I’m the only one in this room that’s ever kept a secret.”

She gets up from the bed, deciding that’s it finally time for her to change from tonight’s event as well.

He grabs her arm before she can pass by him.

“Don’t walk away from me.”

His voice is low…and threatening.

“Let go of me.”

She levels him with an intense glare. It’s one of the many things she’s learned from him over the years.

He releases her arm but holds her in place with his eyes. “Don’t you have anything to say for yourself?”

“Yes, actually.” She pauses. “Two words: Lana Lang.”

“What?” He looks at her like she’s crazy, like she just offered the most ridiculous excuse in the world for her behavior.

She realizes this is the last time they will ever fight like this.

“I know.” She channels years of hidden resentment into her eyes as they stare into his.

“You know what, Chloe? What are you talking about?”

“I. Know.”

He eyes her for a moment and then stiffens, looking away.

She smiles ever so slightly.

Because he just realized this is the last time they will ever fight like this.

And that, in the end, it has nothing to do with her or his father.

And everything to do with one night in the Talon after hours.

He finally pulls himself together and looks back at her. “How?”

“She told me.”

He just nods. “When?”

“The night before our wedding.”

More nodding on his part. “So why did you marry me?”

“Because I loved you, Lex. I thought I could work through it, get over it.” She pauses. “I was wrong.”

He takes in the expression on her face but he can’t seem to decipher what it means.

“So why stay with me all these years?”

“Because your father didn’t get around to telling you until tonight.”

That’s when it dawns on him. Despite his well crafted mask, she can still see the moment he realizes.

“Revenge.”

The smile that spreads across her features makes even her own blood run cold.

“Yes, Lex. A dish best served cold. You taught me that.”

He almost smiles. The smile of a man who realizes he’s been beat at his own game.

“So when did you and my father…?”

He narrows his eyes at her but leaves the question unasked.

She answers it anyway.

“He came to offer his congratulations and found me crying alone in the dark. I don’t know why but for some reason, I told him. And he seemed genuinely surprised and disappointed.” She pauses, a sadness crossing her features. “And that’s when I knew.”

“What?” Lex speaks, hoping to break her from her own reverie.

She looks back up to meet his gaze. “I knew that it was over…my love for you. Because I always knew you could fool me…but to fool him?” She looks almost amused. “That was a clear indication of what you were capable of. That and the fact that I never really knew you to begin with. And you let me believe that I did.”

“So you slept with my father the night before our wedding to get back at me?”

“I slept with your father for the first time the night before our wedding, yes.”

He looks away, unable to keep up the mask of indifference but still wanting to shield as much of his response from her as possible.

He can’t look back when he asks the next question.

“It was more than once?”

“Oh yes, Lex.” She tilts her head to the side, trying to get his attention. But he won’t look at her.

He can’t.

“You see, unlike Lana – who realized immediately that she’d made a mistake and never wanted to be near you again – Lionel felt drawn to me. Again and again.”

Lex looks as if he is going to be sick.

“And, at that point Lex, I’d already lost my soul so I gave myself to him…again and again.”

His hands start to shake.

And this makes her smile.

She takes a step so that she is standing directly in front of him. He has no choice but to look at her now.

“And you know what, Lex? You could learn a thing or two from your father in areas other than business.”

She reaches one hand up to his face but he jerks away from her touch.

She just shrugs and lets her arm fall back to her side.

“I loved you so much, Lex. I was willing to give up everything for you. I almost did…that summer. Don’t you remember?”

Her words are soft and almost nostalgic in nature.

He feels the tears in his eyes and realizes he’s powerless to stop them.

“I trusted you with my life.” She pauses. “I trusted you with everything, every part of me. I trusted you in a way that I’d never trusted anyone before…or since.”

A tear escapes from his eye and she reaches up slowly, gently brushing it off his cheek.

He leans in closer to her, taking in her familiar scent and wanting to get lost in it all over again. He reaches out and caresses her cheek with the back of his hand, then traces her jaw line with his fingers.

There’s so much he wants to say.

But he doesn’t get the chance.

“But then you went and fucked Lana Lang, of all people.”

He involuntarily jerks in response to her words. He pulls his hand away from her face and lets it fall to his side.

He can barely stand to look at her.

But he can’t bring himself to look away.

“Chloe.” He whispers her name and expresses more emotion in that one word, in that one moment, than he has in all of his life.

She holds his gaze for a moment, resting her palm against his beating heart.

Something in her eyes taunts him with its ambiguity.

He realizes for the first time that she is indeed a Luthor.

And had been even before he’d slipped the ring on her finger.

She pulls her hand away and her expression changes completely.

It’s back to business.

“We should really get to bed. We have that breakfast to attend in the morning.”

He doesn’t say anything, just stands silently in the middle of the room.

“Come now, Lex. We really need some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.” She smiles at him before making her way to finally change. “You might have received the party’s nomination tonight, Lex, but this is only the beginning. It’s a long road to the White House.”

She disappears into the other room and he can hear her humming his victory song from tonight’s celebration.

He crawls into bed slowly, every muscle in his body aching from the tension of the day, and he waits.

Waits for the future First Lady to join him.

The End

Krysia
20th February 2005, 06:19
:huh: what happened? that was totally out of the blue...i thought she would leave him, but than again Chloe and Lionel together is almost as disturbing as Lex and Lana together [....nope nothing is as disturbing as that] so my senses weren't their usuall sharp self.
Wonderfull story.

star del mar
20th February 2005, 06:45
Yikes...and we all thought Lex was ruthless. Chloe's kind of scary like this and I know that it's for self preservation and all that good stuff but damn.

Good story.

Steph*

autumngold
20th February 2005, 07:31
I don't know what grossed me out more, Lionel and Chloe or Lex and Lana? Probably the Lex and Lana!! Yucky!! Such a sad story, such a sad marriage!! :crygreen: :crygreen:

June
20th February 2005, 09:11
You promised a happy, chlex fic. Come on, where did my happy chlex fic go? Now I'm denied the chlex smoochies and the happy chlex fic that only Reese can provide... *grumbles under her breath about how unfair the world is*

Beautiful story anyway. Even when it's not a happy chlex fic, it's an amazing chlex fic.

“You slept with my father, didn’t tell me about it, married me and then let my father tell me -- tonight of all nights -- and all you can say is ‘I’m sorry’?”

Let me just tell you how I nearly choked at that. It's just... so wrong... but so wonderfully played in this fic.

“Come now, Lex. We really need some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.” She smiles at him before making her way to finally change. “You might have received the party’s nomination tonight, Lex, but this is only the beginning. It’s a long road to the White House.”

She disappears into the other room and he can hear her humming his victory song from tonight’s celebration.

He crawls into bed slowly, every muscle in his body aching from the tension of the day, and he waits.

Waits for the future First Lady to join him.

So let me just tell you how much I loved this last part. For some reason when you hinted that she was going to leave, I knew she wouldn't. She's a politicians wife now, and they always have to play that part. And besides, I think the Chloe in this Fic likes having the upper hand. Likes that she screwed him over completely and he had no idea.

It proves, even in the midst of hurt and betrayal, that the two are meant for each other only because of their dark, vengeful natures.

He realizes for the first time that she is indeed a Luthor.

And had been even before he’d slipped the ring on her finger.

By far my favorite part. I could feel Lex thinking that. And you could see the differences in Chloe from having been married to him.

I wanted happy Chlex damn it, you made them so unhappy... but I guess I can't blame you, I've made them pretty unhappy in my stories too... Okay, Okay, so I forgive you... but that doesn't mean you still don't owe Zannie and I our happy Chlex fic.

Beautiful. Totally worth it.

Zannie
20th February 2005, 15:53
What is this? I mean, seriously, what is this?

*blubbers pathetically over such a horrible, horrible marriage*

You're doing it just to be spiteful now, aren't you? You like to see my misery and laugh at it maliciously.

*shakes her fist at the cruel world and particularly at one writer in it, who absolutely promised a happy fic and then didn't deliver*

But she did deliver an amazingly sharp, vivid tale. With great characterization portrayed in such vivid, tight prose.

*sighs in resignation*

I suppose I'll forgive you this time.

I too am currently obsessed with how kept secrets can affect a relationship. I can see this as a possible future for both characters if the secrets actually became weapons.

I honestly kind of like Chloe in this fic. She's so strong and determined and composed. Don't like Lex--could never like a Lex that slept with Lana. Nope. Never.

And I'm not even squicked by the thought of Chloe and Lionel. Although this line might have been Chloe's master stroke of cruelty:

“And you know what, Lex? You could learn a thing or two from your father in areas other than business.”

Ouch!

A happy fic must come next (notice the word "come"--hint, hint, wink, wink). If it doesn't, I shall have to stage a revolt.

Queen Of Tact
20th February 2005, 17:45
*pokes Rees* Happy fic sweetie, you must write something happy.... I so must learn to stay away from Angst fic while i'm at work.. Do you know what this stuff does to me *sniff sniff*

Though I must say in my own twisted and dark way I loved it... I mean that was one hell of a way for Chloe to get back at Lex.....

Great job hon....

CC

lexchloe
20th February 2005, 18:36
:nobad: :nobad: Why oh why do I keep reading your fics???? All they seem to do is make me :cryblue: That was completely depressing but so well written. I might hate the situation but Chloe's ruthlessnes and coldness was excellent (very good vengence on her part :devil: ). Well done

*vows to stay away from any Reese fics containing the words angst in the future*

polly
20th February 2005, 23:17
Well. Ummm. Wow. That was...Uhh... That was an excellent fic. I'm glad it was only one chapter long because had it been longer I would have been very unhappy and depressed and lost faith in the wonderful ship that is Chlex. So, it was a really great and powerful story, but I think I need something happy and positive. But, honestly, that was perfect angst.

sydsvaughn
21st February 2005, 00:32
Angst can be good ... and it worked here ... despite my need for happy, fluffy Chlex. Very intense, and while I'm a bit squicked at both 'couplings' ... you did a great job writing this!

SaraC

randa
21st February 2005, 03:47
they were evil to each other...and i loved every minute of it.

ok, probably not the greatest thing to say around here but im evil at heart and politicians are well, politicians. so it all worked well together.

i, of course, didnt like the fact that she slept with lionel over and over again, cuase who would sleep with their husbands father...*shivers* (in my own little crazy world, lionel is hot for an old guy ;) ) but it all works out in the end...well, sort of.

anyway, im looking foward to you next fic!

randa

lexodus
21st February 2005, 03:59
I have to admit... I liked it. I really did. I'm not a Chloe/Lionel fan, except in the case of her being his friend and/or daughter in law, and I'm definitely not a Lex/Lana fan, but I'm so happy that it's not Chloe whose heart gets broken. That happens way too often in fics in my humble opinion and it's nice to see Chloe standing up for herself. Even if it is in a rather disturbing way. Also, what kind of bitch is Lana to tell that to Chloe before she gets married? I think if Chloe had slept with Clark and told Lex that, after revealing that she knew he was Superman would have been better.

divine02us
21st February 2005, 06:19
damn...... Chloe was evil. That was some revenge. Even tho' he slept with Lana I did kinda feel sorry for Lex at the end , he did afterall love Chloe.

d

Tehzo
21st February 2005, 14:08
This was great :) . Yeah, it was sad...but...thank you very much for the dark, angsty, and evil peanut butter cookies that are at fault for you making a dark, angsty, evil, and great story. Happy fics are always great...but, to me at least, the angsty ones make a bigger impact.

He grabs her arm before she can pass by him.

“Don’t walk away from me.”

His voice is low…and threatening.
He feels the tears in his eyes and realizes he’s powerless to stop them. I really loved these parts :) . At the beginning, Lex is dangerous and controlling. But then it all turns around and he's reduced to being powerless from stopping his own tears.

The whole Lionel and Chloe continuously sleeping together was a little creepy. But then it didn't matter since it was due to Chloe's brilliant vengeance.

“Yes, Lex. A dish best served cold. You taught me that.”Definitely my favorite line.

Charmeye
21st February 2005, 18:08
Oh wow, this was a dark fic for sure. So sad, argh. There's a reason I don't like angst. But Chloe was kick-ass in attitude for sure.

:chlexsign3:

isera81
22nd February 2005, 20:00
It was so painful to read. :crygreen: I feel bad for Lex but my heart is breaking for chloe. Great angst.

crankychick
22nd February 2005, 20:06
Wow, Reese, how did I miss your story? Love, love, love the angst!! :devil:

Chloe, you bad girl, don't you :read:? Dance with the devil and bad things happen to you!

AlabamaWorley
22nd February 2005, 20:24
I love it. I'm a sucker for well-played angst, and you had this one singing. Excellent!

Let's see, favorite part...

“She told me.”

He just nods. “When?”

“So when did you and my father…?”

starmoon
27th February 2005, 00:53
That was messed up. I can't belive they did that to each other. Just one big Ewwwwwwwwwww all around for both parties. :evilpuke: :puke: :evilpuke: :puke:

AlwaysPretending
2nd April 2005, 08:54
Seriously, who would have thought that Chloe could be capable of such bitterness - yet there she was, in all her bitter glory. Fantastic! I loved a vengeful Chloe and while I would have gone for a more direct approach (a kick in an unmentionable place), it certainly wouldn't have been as satisfying as those years of playacting, waiting for the twist of the knife. I really enjoyed reading this!

Kerry

teejei
3rd April 2005, 18:32
Why oh why do I keep reading your fics????
my sentiments, exactly!

but since i get to have my daily angst-fix, no more complaints from me...for now.

*racks brain for more happy fic ideas to counter recent angst fics*

*smacks muse for immersion in angst fic pool*

jaxie926
3rd June 2005, 12:11
do not give in to the ones begging for happy sappy stories!!!!!!!!

i love the sap as much as the rest but you have a gift for angst! go with it! alot of people try to write the angst and fail...

more more more!!!!

*hugs n kisses* jaxie

micah_luther
14th June 2005, 20:38
that was something I was completely unready for, but that's what makes it so good, the element of surprise. Good job and keep up the good work.

kimmie
25th June 2005, 16:21
Why didn't she leave him? I thought she would... Lex and Lana...eeewww!!!! Chloe and Lionel...eeewwww. But still a great short fic!

Kimmie

darkangel
27th July 2005, 10:19
Wow. :wth: I am a bit disturbed. Is it sick that I liked Chloe in this story.

Nonhalema
23rd June 2007, 17:04
Damn...although I usually don't like "evil" Chloe...this was just great

Ami Rose
11th September 2007, 10:54
WOW! I don't know what else to say!

Gaia
12th September 2007, 07:59
Well...that was interesting.
No divorce- because then the race for White House won't happen.
And Chloe being a real Luthor.
I have to say - not bad.:P