View Full Version : Weakness (PG-13) 1/1

Reese
16th February 2005, 21:18
Title: Weakness
Author: Reese
Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: Through the S3 finale
Dedication: To June ;)

WARNING: This is not a happy fic. Those of you who really enjoy happy endings (*eyes Zannie*) will not find one here. Consider yourself warned...

He just stares into the fire before him, occasionally lifting the glass of scotch to his lips even though he tastes nothing as it goes down.

She is gone.

He still can’t quite accept it.

Even though he’s been to the safe house himself, seen the utter devastation caused by the blast, he still can’t quite accept what it means.

He is alone…utterly and completely and with no one to blame but himself.

Lana is still in Paris and he hasn’t even bothered to try to contact her. Figures someone else will take care of it.

And Clark? Well, Clark hasn’t been heard from since the blast so Lex figures Clark is keeping his distance, probably blaming him just as he blames himself.

How did he let this happen?

He’s lost more than people realize. Has his hatred of his father cost him something even more important?

Has it cost him a chance at love?

The relationship between the two of them had grown gradually over the weeks and months leading up to the trial. They’d agreed to hold off until things settled down. They wanted to wait and explore their feelings when the world around them wasn’t spiraling out of control.

Little did they know.

Now his father is going to be free because without the star witness, there is no case.

But at this point, Lex could care less.

He takes another swig of the scotch and wishes his father’s action against him had been more effective…more final.

As if on cue, he hears his father’s voice booming through the foyer and the confident strides he takes in pursuit of his son.

Before his father can say anything, he speaks. “You win.” He doesn’t even look up from the fire when admitting defeat.

Lionel looks a bit victorious but a bit disappointed as well.

He paces the room, watching his son, before standing next to him, a folder in his hands. He pulls out a picture and tosses it into Lex’s lap.

Lex doesn’t reach for it but rather catches a glimpse of it before it slides off his lap and onto the floor.

It’s a picture of him with Chloe.

His father tosses another. Same thing.

Picture after picture of them together, stolen glances and secret smiles.

“What is it I saw in these pictures, son?”

Lex doesn’t answer.

“Weakness. She was becoming your weakness, Lex.”

Still he doesn’t answer but just stares straight ahead, ignoring the array of pictures at his feet.

“Did you think you two could really join forces against me…and win?” Lionel almost chuckles at the idea.

Lex still says nothing.

“What were you thinking, son?” He pauses, as if waiting for an answer, then continues. “If you really loved her, you wouldn’t have brought her into this to begin with, now would you? You know better.”

Lionel waits but still Lex doesn’t take the bait. He’s done fighting and Lionel begins to fear he’s done living as well.

“Son?”

Finally, Lex responds. “Like I said Dad, you win.”

Lionel looks a little disgusted and flips open his cell phone. “Put her on the phone.” Lex still doesn’t react but Lionel can sense his body tense. “Yes dear, it’s me. I’d like you to say hello to someone for me.”

He offers the phone to Lex, who doesn’t take it at first until he hears the faint sounds of “hello?” coming from it. He snatches the phone from this father.

“Hello?”

“Lex?” Her voice is tired but suddenly hopeful.

“Chloe?” He lets hope rise in his chest until he sees the smile creeping onto his father’s face. “Who is this?” he demands into the phone.

“Lex, it’s me!” She seems desperate for him to believe her and shocked that he might not recognize her voice.

“I don’t know what my father is paying you but this is a cruel joke to be a part of.”

“Lex, it’s me.” Her voice is barely more than a whisper but he recognizes something in it.

“Prove it.” It’s then that she understands. She lets her mind wrap around whom she’s dealing with. The way the Luthors play the game of life would make someone suspect something as simple as a phone call.

“I know what it is you really want from your father.” She practically whispers it to him over the phone.

“Chloe.” Lex sinks deeper into the chair, mostly from relief. The way he says her name says it all.

He believes her. He loves her. He’s glad to know she’s alive.

Maybe life is worth living after all.

Before he can process it all, Lionel snatches the phone away from him. “I want you to sign over everything…all of your stocks, any interests you have in any of the family businesses.” He pauses. “You will no longer have any connection to me or to my business. Is that clear?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re willing to do this?”

“Yes.”

Lex doesn’t even hesitate.

Maybe he should have.

“Son, you disappoint me yet again. What have I told you about weakness?” He raises the phone to his ear and speaks to the man waiting for orders at the other end. “Finish it.”

Lionel smiles down at Lex. He can see the recognition of what’s about to happen spread across his son’s face. “Say goodbye, Lex.”

He clicks the speakerphone button and holds it out for Lex to hear.

“What’s happening? Lex? LEX?!?”

It’s the last thing Lex hears before the sound of a single gunshot echoes through the phone.

Then silence.

Deafening silence.

Lionel snaps his cell phone shut and takes a moment to analyze his son’s reaction.

Except there isn’t one.

Nothing.

Just a blank stare into the cold, empty fireplace.

Lionel shrugs and turns to walk out. “I told you you weren’t ready to play at my level, son. I really do wish, for your sake and for Ms. Sullivan’s, that you would have listened.”

He pauses at the door before exiting. “Don’t forget, Lex, about our board meeting tomorrow morning. I expect to see you there. We have some…well…business to attend to.” He smiles at the form still seated expressionless before the fireplace. “See you then, son.”

Lex doesn’t say anything, doesn’t even look up as his father departs.

The silence is broken by one of the servants sometime later. “Sir, is there anything you need?”

“Yes, I need a bag packed. I have a meeting in Metropolis in the morning so I’ll be staying at the penthouse tonight. I’ll be leaving shortly.”

The servant just nods and leaves the room.

Lex takes one last sip of his drink before rising from his chair and making his way to the desk in the center of the room.

He gathers together papers that have been ignored for over a week and starts placing them in his brief case.

He pauses and looks down at the red folder still left on his desk.

Her folder.

Her folder on his father.

It’s the only thing he has left of her now.

He picks up his cell phone and dials a number he’s put off using for ages.

“It’s been a long time.” The voice at the other end almost sounds amused when it answers.

“It’s time.”

“Really?” The voice seems pleased to hear it.

“Yes.”

“Any particular instructions on this one?”

“No,” Lex takes a deep breath. “Just kill him.”

He snaps the cell shut and holds it for a moment before placing it back on the desk. His fingers then glide across the surface of his desk to the red folder. He touches it slowly, hesitantly, as though it might burn him.

It doesn’t, it welcomes his touch after being ignored for so long.

The thought reminds him of the girl that gave it to him.

He snaps himself out of the memory and snatches up the folder, opening the safe and tossing it in.

He slams the safe shut and leans on outstretched arms against it.

This is goodbye.

Goodbye to the idea that his father could one day love him.

To the hope that there was ever going to be a life for him besides this one.

To the dream of sharing that life with the woman he loved.

Goodbye to the old Lex...the one who loved a girl he knew could be his salvation.

He stands up straight, takes a deep breath and grabs the briefcase from off of his desk.

Hello to the new Lex...the one who accepts that there is nothing left in him to salvage.

Zannie
16th February 2005, 21:51
Hmph! You should have known a warning wouldn't keep me away. Now you've gone and made my lunch break all sad and mournful. *grumbles about Reese and her penchant for writing sad, lovely fics*

I particularly liked this bit:

Originally posted by Reese@Feb 16 2005, 09:18 PM
His fingers then glide across the surface of his desk to the red folder.* He touches it slowly, hesitantly, as though it might burn him.

It doesn’t, it welcomes his touch after being ignored for so long.

The thought reminds him of the girl that gave it to him.

I love your concise, elegant style, and--despite the lack of happy ending (*mutters obscenities under her breath*)--your reading of the potential development of character and theme is so much more thoughtful and perceptive than anything we get on the show. The progression of Lex's emotional state at the end of the story is authentic and vibrant. Wonderful stuff.

But I still am not at all happy with the ending. So, since you refuse to do so, I wrote for you the last little bit you forgot to include in your post. It goes as follows:

An hour later, Lex was on his fourth drink, trying to pretend his life and future hadn't unraveled in front of his eyes.* He wasn't yet drunk--it took a lot for him to reach a comfortable point of intoxication--but he was distracted enough to be surprised when he felt a soft touch on his shoulder.

He jerked in surprise and whirled around to see Chloe standing behind him, like an image out of a dream or a savior sent to him from heaven.* His mouth dropped open and he wondered if he was more drunk than he'd realized.

"I knew you would go to pieces," Chloe said cheerfully.* "You could have at least given me an hour to rescue myself and get over here."

Lex stared at her, dumbfounded and starting to doubt his own sanity.

"Your father's henchman has very poor aim," she explained, reaching to take one of his hands in both of her warm, soft ones.* "So I pretended to get shot, and then I grabbed the gun away and shot him.* And then I found Lionel and shot him too."

"Oh," Lex said stupidly.

"So now everything is taken care of," Chloe continued.* "And you don't have to become the cold, heartless villain you thought defined your future."

"Oh," Lex repeated, wondering if this was some cruel trick his father was torturing him with.

"So now we can be together and be happy."* Chloe was smiling in her familiar, stunning way.

"Oh."* There had been a time--not so long ago--when he'd had an extensive vocubulary.

Chloe snickered a little, probably at his dazed inanity.* "So can we please now go and have happy, satisfying orgasms of reconciliation?"

Lex finally realized that this was real.* "Okay," he agreed, starting to smile a little.

And so they did.

I'm sure you didn't mean to leave that out--it's an essential part of the story, after all. How can we be happy without it?

You know I'm teasing, right? Your story is perfect and fitting and beautiful as it is. But why--oh why?--does it have to be so sad?

That just means you have to write another one soon. A happy one. Right? Of course, right.

Reese
16th February 2005, 22:04
"So can we please now go and have happy, satisfying orgasms of reconcilation?"

ROFLMAO!

*whispers to Zannie* And just for the record, I did come up with a potential happy ending idea when I was posting this. So if that happens, *you* don't get any of the credit!

But before somehow turning this into something happy, I should work on my idea to make a "happy" sequel to Necessary Lies.

Wait. What happened to my just embracing that I write the angst and you write the happy (read: smut)?

*mumbles under her breath about what this place is doing to her writing style*

Reese

Zannie
16th February 2005, 22:15
Originally posted by Reese@Feb 16 2005, 10:04 PM
But before somehow turning this into something happy, I should work on my idea to make a "happy" sequel to Necessary Lies.
I don't care how you intended this, but I'm taking that as a promise. A promise! An absolute promise to write a sequel/epilogue to both fics in which you make them happy. I have documented evidence (see above), and many, many witnesses on this illustrious site. Believe me, I shall hold you accountable.

I will be content to not claim any of the credit, just as long as you make me less sad.

*whispers to self about how I'll know it's really all my doing*

*pats self on back for doing so well on her crusade to turn angst into happy, satisfying orgasms of reconciliation*

Reese
16th February 2005, 22:41
Originally posted by Zannie@Feb 16 2005, 01:15 PM

*whispers to self about how I'll know it's really all my doing*

*pats self on back for doing so well on her crusade to turn angst into happy, satisfying orgasms of reconciliation*
Humpf. We'll just have to see about all that. :dry:

*marches off to PM Zannie about a much needed attitude adjustment*

Reese

malugargula
16th February 2005, 23:14
Really sad but so beautiful and touching
:)

lexodus
16th February 2005, 23:36
That was so sad. Beautifully written, but sad nonetheless. I do like that Lionel was a bastard though, because that's the way he's supposed to be.

June
16th February 2005, 23:58
*squeals with utter delight* I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you times infinity! If your a little freaked out right now I completely understand, but I love this fic, I love all your fics, I know I'm going to love that sequel that you promised you'd write in your earlier posts...

Before he can process it all, Lionel snatches the phone away from him. “I want you to sign over everything…all of your stocks, any interests you have in any of the family businesses.” He pauses. “You will no longer have any connection to me or to my business. Is that clear?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re willing to do this?”

“Yes.”

Lex doesn’t even hesitate.

The relationship between Lionel and Lex in this is right on, the dialouge is just as amazing. You take a completely unlikely situation ( Lex giving up everything he's worked to get for Chloe or anything for that matter) and made it so astoundingly beautiful and believable.

While this is a Chlex centric peice, it's amazing how there is so little Chloe but still so much Chloe underlying it all. You touched on so many different feelings, situations, so many sides of the characters and you did it flawlessly.

Hello to the new Lex...the one who accepts that there is nothing left in him to salvage.

Such a perfect, amazing, believable take on what finally breaks Lex. I'm a sucker for happy endings, I love happy endings, and I hate reading fics without them, but I'm going to start making an exception for you because you are just that damn good...

*clears throat* Not to be pushy or anything... but take a little time to relax, bask in the afterglow of writing an amazing piece of fiction and then move you butt and give Zannie and I our much needed "happy" sequel to Necessary Lies.

Loved this.

Tehzo
17th February 2005, 01:38
I feel kind of weird saying this is wonderful because it's an angst story but....whatever, it really is wonderful- I'm an angst lover. I really enjoyed reading this.

It was a perfect short story. It was short and delivered a strong impact. You wrote so well that it was easy to picture everything that was going on.

My favorite parts- the whole thing :D ...well especially the part where Lex has no outward reaction to Chloe getting shot. And I also really liked the ending- just the way you described Lex giving up on hope and his movements inserted in between. His sad and graceful movements were written beautifully.

cwong
17th February 2005, 03:19
He's broken!!!! :ohmy: :crygreen:

star del mar
17th February 2005, 04:18
Good story but really sad...it put a little frown on my face afterwards.

Krysia
17th February 2005, 04:58
:worship2:
Wow! This is a great explanation of why Lex became evil.
Great story!

divine02us
17th February 2005, 06:28
Awwwww

this is one of the saddest storie i have ever read. Man, Lionel is really evil! ........ and sick.

D

autumngold
17th February 2005, 07:50
I'm so glad that Lex is having Lionel killed!! I only hope that he tortures him first!! Such a sad, sad story!! Poor Lex and Chloe!! :crygreen: :chlexsign4: :crygreen:

gina
17th February 2005, 08:28
:crygreen:

Ow. My Chlexer heart is breaking.

So tragic and yet I quite like this interpretation of Lex's path to the dark side. I love your writing style and how you pack such an emotional punch in so few words. Excellent job!

starmoon
27th February 2005, 01:06
I can;t belive it Chloe is gone :crygreen: I am glad Lex is having his father killed and I hope he suffers. :tease: This could be why Lex is the way that he is in the furture. Losing your true love can do that to a person. :crygreen: :crygreen: :crygreen:

Baily007
1st March 2005, 16:45
OMG - This was so sad and so touching. PLEASE write a sequel just about Lionel suffering :devil:

randa
2nd March 2005, 05:41
you just struck at rusty, crooked knife into my heart, Reese, but since it was needed im going to accept it.

will you please write at least one happy thing in the future? cause i dont know if i can handle all of this pain to my heart.

ok, enough of the melodramatic. i loved it, and thats that.
hands down to you, my dear :worship2:

randa

teejei
3rd March 2005, 20:51
Originally posted by Krysia@Feb 17 2005, 10:58 AM
:worship2:
Wow! This is a great explanation of why Lex became evil.
Great story!
i totally agree! this supports the theory that it's the loss of Chloe that made Lex give up and eventually turn all-out evil. as tragic as it may sound, i wish the show's writers would consider it. :worship2:

starmoon
5th March 2005, 01:29
Great story though I wish Chloe would have lived. I hope Lex kills his father slowely and puts him through a lot a pain. :angry: :die: :evilbat:

chrisrose
16th March 2005, 08:05
My god, that was heartbreaking. I also prefer stories with happy endings, but this is tragedy-writing at it's finest and I really admire it. But cut it out! The show itself upsets me enough! I don't need this kinda stress from fanfic too! ;)

Baily007
16th March 2005, 16:16
This was so sad - and yet so wonderfully well written! Thank you so much for sharing!

AlwaysPretending
2nd April 2005, 08:59
Reese, wow, what can I say? This fic was one of the best I've read in how Lex could become what we all know he is in the future. I'm loving all of the angst that is pouring from your pen - keep it up!

Kerry

bluengreenswmer
26th April 2005, 04:43
Wow. That was great. Keep hitting those keys because I need some more. Something. I don't care what.

starmoon
29th April 2005, 02:21
that was so sad and horrible. i can't belive chloe is dead.

somethingeasy
15th June 2006, 12:55
oh WOW! What am amazing angst-fest session. Short, sweet and absolutely devastatingly heartbreaking. I cannot believe the roller-coaster of emotions you had me on with such short simple sentences. First such sadness that Lex had seemingly already lost his love/r from the first paragraph, and then Lionel swoops in in all his gloating glory ready to rub salt into the gaping wounds.

Then just when things couldn't get any lower, Lionel brings some hope into the situation. Perhaps he was just testing Lex's devotion to the girl, perhaps it was just a harsh lesson about not being careful and taking too many things for granted (such as the trustworthiness of crooked FBI agents). Or perhaps Lionel just wanted Lex to disinherit himself.

And then the final turnabout plunges the reader into a despair even deeper than the opening paragraph. Magnificient writing!!!

Nonhalema
23rd June 2007, 17:11
Damn that is angst pure

Ami Rose
14th August 2012, 05:41
Wow that was dark. Loved it

hfce
14th August 2012, 06:50
That was sad. :(