PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Amour Noire (strong R)

scifichick774
19th April 2003, 18:14
Title: Amour Noire
Author: scifichick774
Rating: strong R
Category: Chloe/Lex UST/Angst/Romance
Spoilers: Set immediately after the season 1 finale
Summary: Chloe is hurting from Clark leaving her at the dance, and an interesting camaraderie with Lex begins
Disclaimer: Not mine, no infringement intended
Feedback: Usually I’d say if you feel like it, but fanfiction.net has turned on my craving for reviews, so please
Archival: Go ahead, just let me know where
Author’s Note: I’m sure there are a dozen other Chloe/Lex stories out there set after the season finale, but my muse wouldn’t let me get away with not writing one

~*~*~*~*~

It had only been a few days since the storm, since the dance, since decisions had been made. Chloe sat at a small corner table in The Beanery. Most people were still busy cleaning up the damage made in the storm’s wake, but one of the staples of her existence, despite the storm and Lana’s previous efforts to destroy it, was still standing, and actually open. She clasped her hands around the large mug of hot coffee in front of her, but stared blankly at it instead of drinking. Chloe barely heard the clearing of a throat behind her. It was louder the second time and she lifted her eyes, turning her head toward the sound. She immediately looked back to her table.

“Mr. Luthor,” she greeted in an emotionless voice. Lex walked to the other side of the table and pulled out a chair for himself, taking Chloe’s recognition of his presence as an invitation to sit down. She gave him an unreadable expression and he cocked his head slightly at her.

“Something wrong Miss Sullivan?” He took a sip of the hot coffee from his mug, licking the foam off his upper lip with his tongue. She stared at the action, but suddenly snapped out of her daze when she realized he had been saying something. She shook her head a little.

“What?” He met her eyes and smirked.

“I asked you if anything was wrong.” Her eyes drifted to the table again and she lifted up her coffee to drink. After placing her cup on the table again she shook her head slightly, but her emotions that she had been trying so hard to keep locked down finally bubbled up to the surface, and she answered him.

“You ever wonder why some people get everything they want?” She asked in a bitter and almost angry voice. Lex grinned in understanding.

“Ah. So am I to presume this has something to do with the illustrious Miss Lang?” Her eyes darted to his again and he could see the fire starting within them. She guffawed.

“Illustrious is the word. Okay, I get it, she’s perfect and everything, but…”

“No one’s perfect Chloe,” Lex interrupted. She rolled her eyes.

“Usually when I hear that phrase, people are using it to describe me.”

“People?”

“Yeah, you know, people. Bipeds, walk around all over the place, can’t miss ‘em,” she stated, the sarcasm beginning to creep into her speech as a defense mechanism. Lex ignored her tone.

“What people have used that phrase to describe you?” She looked at him in disbelief.

“Gee, I don’t know Lex. Everybody?” She said, the sarcasm dripping off her tongue. He cocked an eyebrow. He couldn’t help but smile when she called him Lex though. In his mind, it meant that she was letting her guard down a little. She sighed. “My dad, Pete, Clark,” she cringed a little after the last name, but quickly covered, and amended her statement. “Okay, in their favor, it’s usually when they’re trying to cheer me up, but it never works. I mean, how is that supposed to cheer someone up? Hey, no one’s perfect, and that means you.” Chloe grumbled and took another sip of her coffee. Lex fought back a chuckle. Chloe noticed and decided to change the topic. “So what are you even doing here? Don’t you own The Talon? Don’t you have some lives to destroy?” Lex ignored her icy comment and the corners of his lips curled upward.

“The Talon’s closed temporarily because of Lana’s injuries.” Chloe felt a brief pang of guilt. “That should answer the first two questions.” The guilt quickly disappeared with his second comment, which came off a bit snide. “And, as far as having lives to destroy, contrary to popular belief, I am not the devil incarnate.” He paused for a brief moment and grinned. “That’s my father.” He took another drink.

Chloe fell silent for a minute. ‘There’s that guilty feeling again,’ she thought to herself. “Yeah, I heard he was in the hospital. I’m sorry.” Lex studied her face and saw that she actually felt compassion for him, despite everything his father had put her and her father through, what he had put countless other families through, and only one comment came to mind.

“Why?” Chloe gave him a questioning look.

“Why what?”

“Why are you sorry that he’s in the hospital?” That question took Chloe aback. Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open a little. She shook her head.

“Uh, I guess I’m not. Not really anyway. I was just saying it because I was trying to be sympathetic.” Lex smiled.

“Good. I thought you had taken leave of your senses for a minute there.” Chloe chuckled, showing the first smile she had in the last few days. She looked at Lex.

“How did we even get on this topic in the first place?”

“You steered the conversation away from talking about hostile feelings toward Lana.” The gleam in Chloe’s eyes dimmed.

“Right.” She glanced at her now empty mug. “I should get going.” Lex reached across and placed his hand on top of hers. She looked at him to explain the gesture.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He noticed the sad expression on her face and she shook her head.

“Not right now,” she answered. ‘Not ever,” she thought. Lex stood up as she did. He walked over to the door to hold it open for her. “Thanks,” she mumbled as she walked through the door, her thoughts now back on what was wreaking havoc with her emotional well being.

“Chloe,” he called after her, and jogged up to where she had turned around to face him on the sidewalk.

“Yeah?”

“Need a ride home?”

~*~*~
Ch. 2
~*~*~

Instead of playing his music loudly, Lex drove Chloe in silence for the first few minutes. He glanced over at her. She was staring out the window. ‘No doubt as to what she’s thinking about,’ Lex thought.

“So, Miss Sullivan,” he started. She arched an eyebrow. He had called her by her first name when he asked her if she needed a ride home, but she now assumed that was to get her attention.

“Mr. Luthor,” she emphasized that she could play this game too, although she wasn’t exactly sure what kind of game he was playing yet. He grinned, but didn’t look over at her.

“This new found hatred for Lana that you’ve acquired…”

“It’s not new found,” Chloe interrupted. Lex peeked at her through the corner of his eye.

“Anyway, I’m guessing that it has more to do with Clark than with Lana,” he said. She looked back out the window.

“Good guess,” she muttered underneath her breath, but he caught it. Then she swung her head around to face him. “Wait a second. How did you know that?” He briefly faced her and shrugged.

“I’m observant,” he said. The expression on her face told him that she didn’t buy that excuse. “And Clark told me that you had a crush on him after he found out about it.” She blushed and clenched her fists. “Don’t be embarrassed,” he stated, only noticing the rosy hue on her face.

“I’m not,” she spat. “I’m mortified and angry!” Lex turned to face her again as they pulled up to a stop sign. Normally, he wouldn’t have stopped, but with an irate Chloe in the car, he figured he’d better.

“What?” She shot an icy glare at him, and although it was certainly enough to make most men tremble, for some reason Lex found it endearing.

“Did he set this up? Send you after me to say ‘hey, Clark’s not such a bad guy, he didn’t mean to rip your heart out and stomp on it!’ Did he?! God! He’s been begging me for forgiveness ever since it happened, but he is not going to get it! Damn it! I can’t believe I didn’t see it since you’re his friend. Argh! I hate my life!”

“Chloe, calm down,” he began to reach a hand out to touch her arm, but she gave him a warning look and he pulled it back. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. What happened?” She looked at him angrily but settled a little when she saw that his expression seemed sincere. ‘Of course, he’s a Luthor so he probably has faking sincerity down pat,’ she thought.

“It doesn’t matter.” She leaned back in her seat and looked out the window again. A truck horn honked behind them, indicating that they had been waiting at the stop sign for too long. Lex started driving again, but kept glancing over at Chloe.

“Of course it matters,” he said in a comforting voice. She didn’t respond. “If for no other reason than I don’t like being left out on what’s going on.” He grinned and so did she.

“No. It doesn’t matter because pretty soon my dad and I are going to be moving back to Metropolis and I can put Clark Kent out of my mind forever,” Chloe said. Lex gave her a sympathetic grin.

“It doesn’t work that way and you know it. Why are you moving to Metropolis?” Chloe let out a stressed half laugh.

“Plant closing? Your dad’s the devil? Any of this ringing a bell?” Lex laughed and flashed her a full smile as he pulled into her driveway.

“Well, I can’t deny the second part, but the plant isn’t closing.” She seemed surprised by the news.

“Yes it is, we all heard the announcement.” Lex gave her a smirk, his mature way of saying ‘I know something you don’t know.’

“My father and I reached an agreement. The plant is staying open.” Chloe gave him a skeptical expression.

“I see. And when did you reach this agreement?” Her question surprised Lex. He knew she was smart, but he hadn’t been expecting her to ask that. The corners of his lips curled, and the second Chloe saw that, she knew she wasn’t going to get an answer to her question. Lex cleared his throat.

“A question for another time I’m afraid.” He motioned toward the front doorstep of her house where her dad was standing waiting for her. She grimaced.

“How long has he been standing there?” Lex sucked in a breath.

“About five minutes,” he answered coolly. She stared at him.

“And you were planning on telling me, when exactly?” Lex chuckled.

“Around the time you asked a question that I didn’t want to answer,” he replied. She narrowed her eyes and playfully slapped his arm. He laughed, but rubbed the spot with his other hand. “Would it make you feel better if I walked you to the door?” He asked in a sincere tone. She laughed.

“Only if you’re trying to get me grounded for life.”

“It would keep you from having to ever see Clark again.” Her face fell a little at the mention of Clark’s name, and Lex instantly regretted having made the comment. He gently reached over and stroked her cheek with his hand. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.” He was surprised when she leaned into his touch ever so slightly.

“It’s okay. Like you said, it doesn’t work that way.” She got out of the car and waved goodbye. As she got closer to where her dad stood, she saw the horrified look on his face. She meekly waved and walked up to give him a hug. “Hi Dad.”

“Chloe, honey,” he said in a strained voice. “Would you like to explain why Lex Luthor gave you a ride home?” Chloe’s mouth dropped open a little bit to start talking, but her dad cut her off before she could say anything. “And why you were sitting in his car with him for a good ten minutes? And why he was stroking your cheek?” His words got louder and louder with each question. Chloe shook her head.

“Dad, it’s not what you think. I just ran into him while getting my caffeine fix, then we talked about some stuff, and he offered me a ride home. By the way, did you know the plant’s not going to close?” She quickly added on the last part to distract her father’s line of thinking. His mouth dropped open and he stared at her.

“Please tell me you didn’t have anything to do with that.”

~*~*~
Ch. 3
~*~*~

This part takes place the next day.

~*~*~*~*~

‘God, Chloe is going to kill me for this,’ Lex thought as he knocked on the Kents’ front door. He couldn’t decide whether it was a good thing that Clark was the one who answered the door or not.

“Hey Lex,” Clark greeted, standing in the doorway. “Haven’t heard from you much lately. What’s going on?” He smiled and Lex let one corner of his mouth turn upward.

“I wanted to talk to you about Chloe.” A worried expression crossed Clark’s face.

“Is she okay?” Lex frowned.

“Depends on what you consider okay,” he answered. Clark stepped out of the doorway, closing the door behind him.

“I’ve been trying to talk to her, but she won’t let me,” Clark said in a sad voice, his face looking at the ground. Then something occurred to him. “Wait a minute,” his head shot up, “when did you see her?” Lex felt a pang of guilt, or almost guilt, at Clark’s expression, but made sure it didn’t show.

“I ran into her yesterday while getting coffee. She seemed upset, but she wouldn’t talk about it.”

“Well, she barely knows you Lex, it’s not like she’s going to open up to a total stranger,” he replied, trying to console his friend, but not really helping.

“I did get the impression that it had something to do with you and Lana.” Lex’s words were calm and dripped off his tongue, displaying none of the newfound animosity he felt because of Clark’s last comment. Clark didn’t respond, he just stood there silent and looked like he was plagued by guilt. “So you want to tell me what happened? I thought you had decided that you were going to go after Chloe.”

“I did,” Clark answered quickly. “And I do, I mean, things have gotten really mixed up.” Lex nodded.

“That still doesn’t answer my question.” Clark looked at him. Lex could see the confusion plastered across his face.

“I don’t know.” Clark shook his head. “I don’t know what I did wrong. Everything was going fine. Then, the day after the dance, I went over to her house and she wouldn’t see me.” Lex furrowed his brow.
“What happened after the dance?” Clark shrugged.

“Well, nothing. I mean, I don’t think anything happened. Like I said, she wouldn’t talk to me the next day.”

“You were there Clark, you should know what happened.” The guilt crossed Clark’s features again. “Clark?”

“Uh, well, we heard that Lana might be stuck in the storm so I ran out to where she was to see if I could help.” Lex’s eyes widened.

“You left Chloe at the dance, alone, so you could rescue Lana?” Lex asked in disbelief. “No offense Clark, but you’re an idiot.” Clark chuckled; obviously thinking it was a joke.

“Yeah, I guess. So, you think I still have a chance with her?”

“Depends on which her you’re speaking of.”

“Chloe.” Lex frowned. He had to be delicate about this. He shook his head.

“Honestly Clark, I think the best thing you do for Chloe right now is to be her friend, just her friend. Let her move on with somebody else in her social life.” Clark shook his head.

“From what Pete told me, she’s liked me for a long time, you don’t just stop liking someone because they leave you at a dance,” Clark reasoned. Lex gave him a ‘yeah, right’ look.

“But you didn’t just leave her at the dance. You left her at the dance to be with Lana, the girl you’ve been fawning over for years now, while Chloe was putting up with you.” Lex shook his head again. “I’m surprised she didn’t try to move on before now.”

“Uh, she did. But, he ended up being a bad guy, it’s kind of hard to explain.” Lex gave an unemotional response.

“Ah.”

“So, since you two actually had a conversation yesterday without killing each other, you think you could put in a good word for me?” Clark flashed a smile.

“Actually, I was planning on asking her what she ever saw in you in the first place and telling her to never talk to you again,” Lex said drolly. Clark chuckled, but Lex kept a straight face. “I’m running late. I’ll see you later Clark.” With that, Lex turned away and walked to his car. Clark went back inside, and almost ran into his mom.

“What did Lex want Clark?” Clark smiled.

“He just stopped by to say hi. And he’s going to talk to Chloe for me.” Martha frowned.
“What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure that’s the best idea son.”

“Mom, I know you don’t like Lex, but he’s my friend,” Clark said in defense.

“It’s not that Clark. I got a phone call from Gabe Sullivan last night and he had some rather disturbing things to say.”

“Like what?” Martha let out a breath.

“I couldn’t understand a lot of it, it seemed like he was just angry rambling, but I did catch something about Chloe and Lex in a car. From what I caught, it sounded like Lex might be interested in Chloe.” Clark grinned.

“Of course he’s interested in her mom, they’re both my friends and he wants to get to know her better.” His mom frowned again and shook her head.

“Not that kind of interested.”

~*~*~
Ch. 4
~*~*~

Chloe stood in the small line at The Beanery to order a large cup of coffee to go. Her dad had calmed down after he gave her the chance to explain what happened, but she didn’t want to take any chances on upsetting him again. She stepped forward to place her order and heard a voice she recognized behind her saying that he would take care of that. She swung around and bumped into Lex.

“Chloe,” he greeted, handing the cashier the money for both their orders. She arched an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“Are you stalking me now?” She quipped. He grinned.

“Of course not,” he paused. “I have people to do that for me.” Despite herself, Chloe laughed and flashed an honest smile at Lex. “Glad you’re in a better mood today.” She rolled her eyes and grabbed her cup from the attendant. He went to hold the door open for her.

“You know, that’s the second time you’ve done that.” He furrowed his brow.

“Done what?”

“Opened a door for me,” she crinkled her face, “This precise door if you want to be specific.” He grinned.

“I’d think that you would be used to that.”

“Oh yeah, guys open the door for me all the time,” she said sarcastically. He looked confused. “Lex, you’re forgetting that my best friends are Pete and Clark, or it was Clark, I don’t really know what’s going to happen with that.” Lex noted that she didn’t seem as upset at the mention of his name as she had been the previous day, and he took that as a good sign.

“Ah, yes. From what I know of Pete, besides the fact that he hates my family, he does not seem prone to be the chivalrous type. And Clark,” he sipped his coffee. “Well, Clark is Clark. He’s a nice guy, but not always too bright.” Chloe arched an eyebrow at him and he shrugged. “I don’t know anyone else who would have left a beautiful woman alone at a dance to run out into the middle of a dangerous storm.” ‘I certainly wouldn’t have,’ he thought. Chloe’s mouth dropped open slightly and her eyes widened.

“How did you know about that?” She asked in an accusing tone. He took another drink of his coffee to hide the smirk that was beginning to cross his face.

“I ran into Clark earlier,” he answered, thinking that it wasn’t a complete lie.

“Uh huh. And by ‘ran into’ you mean purposely sought him out so you could find out what I didn’t tell you?” He smiled.

“You know Chloe, you’re entirely too smart for your own good sometimes.” She smiled.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” He nodded.

“You should.”

“So what did he say?” She got her keys out and went over to the driver’s side of her dad’s car. Lex sighed.

“I don’t think he understands what he did was wrong,” Lex said bluntly. Chloe nodded.

“He never does. That’s why I warned him ahead of time, I thought it would help.”

“You warned him ahead of time?” Lex took Chloe’s cup from her so she could unlock the door.

“Yeah, I did. I told him if he did this, if he left me at the dance for Lana, that I would never forgive him.” She looked a little sad again, but not as angry as she had been. Lex handed her the cup as she sat down.

“Which means, on some level at least, that you must have been expecting it,” Lex observed. Her head hung a little.

“Maybe. But that doesn’t make it hurt any less.” Lex leaned on the car.

“No, of course it doesn’t. The only thing that’s going to help you get through this is if you acknowledge that Clark was only ever meant to be your friend. He’s not good enough to be your boyfriend.” She stared up at him and stifled a laugh.

“Recent events aside, Clark Kent is one of the most decent people I know.” Lex grinned.

“He’s very decent. I’ll even concede to good looking if you go for the whole hair thing.” Lex paused and smiled as Chloe did what was probably as close to a giggle for her as possible. “But, like I said, he’s not always that bright. And you always are. I must admit, that’s one of the reasons I was pushing him to go for Lana.” Chloe gave him a hurt and angry look. “She’s nice and she’s pretty, but she’s not smart, and she doesn’t have your fire. I knew that if Clark ended up going out with you that neither of you would be getting what you needed out of the relationship, because you would outgrow him so quickly. And since talking to you yesterday, I can only say that I think you already have.”

Chloe sat stunned in her seat. She wanted so desperately to be angry with Lex, but he had just given her a compliment that she never thought she would hear anyone tell her. The only thing she could think to do was to lighten the situation.

“So you don’t think I’m nice and pretty?” Lex laughed and leaned into the car, so that his face was close to her ear.

“I didn’t say that.” His raspy deep whisper made a shiver run through her body. He kissed her cheek and stood up straight. “Drive home safely.” He chuckled to himself and walked back to his car. Chloe sat in her dad’s car and placed a hand up to her cheek in astonishment.

~*~*~
Ch. 5
~*~*~

The entire drive home, Chloe was wishing she would have made some close friends other than Clark and Pete. Someone she could share what had just happened with. Pete would be angry, if anything, given the fact that he hated Lex, and the whole Nicodemus incident. The latter of which she was desperately trying to block out of her memory. And, obviously, Clark wouldn’t want to hear about it. What would she say to him anyway? ‘Hi Clark. I know that we just went through a weird part in our friendship, but there’s something I want to talk to you about. Did I mention that Lex kissed my cheek?’ She laughed out loud at the thought.

“I shouldn’t even tell him what section of my anatomy he kissed,” Chloe said to herself. Then she frowned. A part of her, a big part, was telling her that there was no way that Lex had meant the kiss to be interpreted that way. She reasoned that he probably thought she was Clark’s friend who was in need of comfort. When she reached a stop sign, she rested her head briefly on the steering wheel. ‘Fickle, thy name is Chloe Sullivan.’ She continued on to her house moments later, berating herself for even entertaining the notion of a possible relationship with Lex. But, her two conversations with him had certainly shed light on a recent situation. A paraphrased line from Sixteen Candles kept repeating itself in her head.

That’s why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they’d call them something else.

She had only thought she was in love with Clark, but she hadn’t been. A strong crush yes, but she was capable of getting on with her life, and maybe even becoming friends with him again. Despite her new outlook, her stomach sank when she saw the Kents’ truck in her driveway.

“Shit.” She gathered her things from the car and walked toward the front stoop where Clark was waiting for her. He met her half way, giving her a dimply smile that just a week ago would have made her melt, but now had relatively no effect on her.

“Hi Chlo, you need some help?” He asked, motioning to her full arms. She managed a small, forced grin, and shook her head.

“Nope, I got it. Thanks anyway.” She continued toward the front door and he followed her. She rearranged the items in her arms so she could open the door. A memory of Lex opening the door for her earlier came to mind and she sighed. Clark followed behind her into the house. She set her things down, and threw the now empty coffee cup away.

“Chloe,” he stopped her walking around by holding her upper arm gently. She looked up at him, but said nothing. “I, I wanted to say I’m sorry.” He paused and gazed down at her with puppy dog eyes. “I guess our more than friendship didn’t get off to the best start, huh?”

“That’s an understatement,” she agreed. He took her hands in his.

“Let me make it up to you.” She sighed and stared at the floor.

“You can’t.” He frowned and she looked up at him again, gathering the courage to say what she needed to. “I think this whole thing was just a big lesson for me from fate or destiny, or whatever.” He seemed confused and she took her hands out of his. “I think we were only ever meant to be friends Clark.” The frown on his face became more pronounced.

“What? Why? You’re just saying this because you’re angry with me, I…” Chloe shook her head and interrupted him.

“Clark, that’s not it. I was angry with you. I was completely pissed off at you and ready to never talk to you again. But I’m not anymore. Something happened today that made me realize that I don’t want to spend any more time chasing after someone who isn’t interested in me like that.”

“But I am…” Chloe shook her head again.

“You’re not. You never were. You only acknowledged that I existed as a female of the species after Pete told you that I liked you. I think if you really examine your feelings, you’ll see that you probably only felt obligated to like me back because you’re friends.” Chloe choked out. Clark’s expression was so sad and confused that Chloe thought she might start crying from just looking at him.

“What happened?”

“Well, you’re in love with Lana, and you left me at the dance for her after you said you promised you wouldn’t…” Chloe said, still not believing that he just didn’t get it. He shook his head.

“No. I mean, you said something happened today that made you only want to be friends with me. What happened?” Chloe’s eyes widened a little. ‘Oh. How am I supposed to explain this?’ She thought.

“Um,” she smiled a little and despite her best efforts not to blush, a pink hue covered her cheeks. “You know Clark, I’m not sure you’d believe me even if I told you.” He narrowed his eyes suspiciously at her.

“Try me.”

“My Dad’s going to be home soon,” she grabbed his arm to show him to the door. “You should go.” He stopped dead in his tracks and made her look at him.

“Chloe, this doesn’t have anything to do with Lex does it?” Chloe did her best surprised reaction.

“Why would you think that?” Clark shrugged.

“I didn’t get all the details, but your dad called my parents last night and was ranting about you two being in a car together.” Chloe laughed, but even she thought it sounded fake.

“He was totally overreacting. We ran into each other while getting coffee yesterday and he offered to give me a ride home. That’s all.” Clark appeared relieved.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to insinuate anything. It’s just, your dad said something about he thought Lex was going to kiss you if he hadn’t been standing there.” Clark chuckled, not seeing the now panicked expression on Chloe’s face. “Parents can be so weird.” Chloe nodded, and tried to hide what she was thinking. She held out her hand.

“So… friends?” Clark smiled broadly and shook her hand.

“Friends.”

Just then, a deliveryman came to the door holding a large bouquet of flowers.

scifichick774
19th April 2003, 18:16
~*~*~
Ch. 6
~*~*~

“Chloe Sullivan?” Chloe and Clark’s jaws had dropped a little bit at the site of the huge bouquet. Chloe nodded. The man held out a clipboard with papers on it. “I need you sign by the ‘x’ please.” She scribbled her signature and tried to take the bouquet from the man, but was overwhelmed by its size. He just laughed and handed the vase to Clark. “If you’re going to order your girlfriend flowers, you should make sure they aren’t bigger than her next time.” Then the man turned and walked back to his van. Clark took the vase over to the coffee table and gently sat it down.

“Secret admirer?” He teased, grabbing the card before she could. She tried to get it away from him, but he held it high with his arm, and she couldn’t reach it. Chloe huffed and crossed her arms.

“I don’t know why you’re making such a big deal about this. They’re probably just from my dad as an apology for yesterday.” ‘Please believe that and go away.’ Clark’s smile beamed again.

“Chloe, I know your dad. And there’s no way he would ever spend so much money on something as an apology.” Chloe frowned slightly.

“You don’t know that.”

“Well, there’s one way to find out,” he held up the card, starting to open the envelope. She gasped and snagged it out of his hands now that it was where she could reach it. Clark laughed. Chloe began to slide the card out of the envelope. “You know I’m going to find out who it is.” She glared at him. A knock came from the open door. Clark looked over.

“Hey Lex.” Lex walked in and nodded at him. Chloe slid the card back into the envelope.

“Clark.” He gazed at Chloe for a moment and she looked back toward the flowers. “I’m a little surprised that you’re here considering everything that’s happened.” Clark shrugged.

“We made up.” Lex’s heart dropped and his face looked crestfallen.

“Oh.”

“Yeah,” Clark continued with a smile, “we decided that we’re just better as friends.” The corners of Lex’s mouth curled up in restrained glee.

“Really? When did you decide this?” He looked to Chloe for the answer, but Clark spoke up.

“I came over to apologize about an hour ago. Chloe said something happened today that made her realize that we should just be friends.” He paused, a pensive look crossing his features. “It was a little hard at first, but I understand where she’s coming from.” He looked down at Chloe, who was now sitting on the couch. “You read the card yet?” He smiled and looked back to Lex. “I think she has a secret admirer.” Lex nodded.

“In that case Miss Sullivan,” she finally looked up at him and he grinned, “may I suggest that you not read the card in front of Clark.” Clark raised an eyebrow but Lex ignored him. “You’re probably still trying to work out how this new friendship is going to be and it might cause Clark some anxiety if he finds out that the woman, who just told him that she wanted to just be friends, is now receiving attention from someone more deserving of her affections.” Chloe pursed her lips. If she had any doubt before as to who sent the flowers, she certainly didn’t now. Clark rolled his eyes.

“She has to tell me eventually.” Lex chuckled.

“I’m sure she has her own secrets Clark, even from you.” Chloe cleared her throat.

“So why are you here Mr. Luthor?” He grinned.

“Actually, I was just coming to check up on you, make sure you’re feeling better.”

“Wow. That’s really nice Lex. You’re a good friend, thanks.” Lex looked at him through the corner of his eye.

“No problem.” He paused. “So how are you feeling Chloe?” She grinned.

“Better. Thanks.” He nodded.

“I should get going, your dad will be home soon and, from what I understand, he wasn’t too pleased with me giving you a ride home yesterday.” Chloe bit back a laugh and stood up.

“Yeah, I’m going too,” Clark said, walking over to Chloe. He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a big hug. “I’m glad we’re friends again.” Luckily, he wasn’t facing Lex when he did this, or he would have seen his eyes narrow angrily at him. Clark and Lex headed toward the door, and Lex turned around to look at Chloe one last time.

“Nice seeing you again Chloe,” then he motioned to the unread card with his eyes and grinned. She smiled and went over to shut the door after them. She went over and grabbed the card, quickly pulling it out of its envelope.

A flower’s bloom could never compare to the beauty that is you. From Someone More Deserving.

It also had a gift certificate to The Beanery enclosed. Chloe’s smile lit up her face and she shook her head.

‘I’m in big trouble.’

~*~*~
Ch. 7
~*~*~

A/N: This part takes place a couple of days later, and there’s finally romance! Not that any of you care about that, hee hee.

~*~*~*~*~

“You sure you’re going to be alright here by yourself honey?” Gabe asked. Chloe stood in the bedroom doorway, a bemused smile on her face.

“I’m sure Dad.” She walked over and zipped up his suitcase. He grinned and gave her a half concerned, half guilty look.

“The convention’s only for a couple of days, and you can always call the Kents.” Chloe rolled her eyes, but smiled.

“Dad,” she touched his arm, “I’ll be fine. Just like all the other times that you’ve had to go out of town on business.” She gave him a sympathetic grin and he nodded.

“I know.” He sighed. “Dad’s prerogative to worry about you though.” He chuckled and gathered up your things. “I’m sorry I went overboard earlier this week Chloe.” She grinned.

“It’s okay Dad.” A car horn honked from outside.

“That’s my cab.” He paused and gave her a thoughtful look. “You’re sure you’re going to be alright?” She came over to him and gave him a brief hug.

“I’ll be fine, stop worrying.” She motioned to the door with her head at the second honk. “You’re going to be late for your plane if you don’t get going.” He smiled and told her that he loved her and she watched him ride away in the taxi. She shook her head. ‘Thank God he left me the car,’ she thought as she grabbed the keys off their hanger.

She drove to The Beanery, silently thinking that it was kind of pathetic that the two places in town to really hang out were both coffee merchants. She smiled when she thought, ‘at least we have coffee places here, I would never survive without it.’ She pulled up to The Beanery. The Talon had reopened that morning, but she didn’t think she could handle being around Clark while he drooled over Lana. They had started to get their friendship back on track, but there was a limit to how much she could deal with right now. Actually, there had always been a limit; she just hadn’t been great about adhering to it before because she figured that it still gave her time to crush over Clark. She barely shook her head as she picked up her laptop and her gift certificate off the passenger’s seat. He was cute, there was no denying that, but Lex had been right. She deserved someone who at least cared about getting to know her, and who understood the subtle subtext in the things she said.

She placed her order and chose to sit down at her new favorite table, on e in the corner that was hidden from the view of the general populous. If there had been a general populous that is. With The Talon’s reopening, business for The Beanery had dwindled considerably. Or, maybe it was just a slow day both places, but she wasn’t about to head over to The Talon to find out. She placed her coffee down and set up her laptop on the table. She heard someone behind her and swung her head around.

“Chloe,” Lex greeted and took the seat next to hers.

“Lex,” she replied, in a voice that hoped wouldn’t give away the nervousness and anticipation in her voice. He grinned and set his mug on the table. “So what are you doing here? Didn’t The Talon reopen this morning?” He nodded once.

“It did,” he said non-chalantly.

“So you’re not going to answer my first question?” She asked in a somewhat teasing voice. He grinned and took a sip of his coffee.

“Just because I own the place doesn’t mean that I need to frequent it.” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“Okay, so what about the convention my dad went to? You’re not attending that?” He chuckled and leaned closer to her.

“That would kind of negate my motive for sending your dad to it the first place, don’t you think?” Her eyes grew a little wider.

“Oh.” He leaned back.

“You didn’t like the flowers?” She smiled.

“I loved the flowers. Lana thinks my secret admirer is the new guy at school, Tim something.” She shook her head. “She said that she’s seen him looking at me.” Lex frowned and made a mental note to take care of that.

“Since when have you been talking to Lana?” She shrugged.

“Only hearsay actually, Pete gave me the second hand information.” He nodded.

“And you didn’t bother to correct their incorrect conclusions I presume?” She grinned and leaned closer to him, an action that he clearly wasn’t expecting, but was delighted by.

“That would kind of negate the point of you signing the card anonymously, don’t you think?” He chuckled, but silenced when he noticed how close her face was to his. Never one to not seize an opportunity, especially one that he had been setting up, he leaned forward and gave her a soft, almost chaste kiss. She pulled back, surprised by his action. He grinned and took her hand in his, stroking the top of it with his thumb.

“It’s okay if you don’t want this, I understand,” he said in a voice tinged with what Chloe could almost classify as sorrow. She smiled.

“I didn’t say I didn’t want this, you, I was just surprised.” He gave his head a one-time nod and remained silent. “I don’t think I can be in a rebound relationship though Lex, so if that’s what you’re looking for…” He kissed her again, stronger and more passionate this time. They both seemed to be in a daze when they finally pulled apart.

“So…” Lex began.

“So,” Chloe smiled, prompting the same response from Lex.

“Your father is out of town tonight, what are your plans for dinner?” Chloe laughed and partially rolled her eyes.

“That was subtle,” she commented, the sarcasm evident. He smiled.

“I wasn’t really going for subtle there, and I noticed that you avoided answering my question.”

“Well, I was just going to microwave a frozen dinner at my house, but if you have a better suggestion…” Lex chuckled and ran a hand through her hair, then down on to her cheek.

“Infinitely better,” Lex confirmed.

~*~*~
Ch. 8
~*~*~

Lex rose from his seat and offered a hand to Chloe. His cell phone rang, and he gave her an apologetic look before answering it.

“Luthor.” She grinned at his impersonal greeting. She thought about how she would have thought it was incredibly pompous just a week ago, but now it seemed endearing, at least until she saw his face fall. “I’m on my way.” He turned the phone off and tried to avoid looking Chloe in the eyes. “I’m afraid we’ll need to postpone dinner Chloe. Something has come up,” he said, giving no further explanation. She nodded, trying not to let the hurt show on her face. Lex cringed as he watched her hang her head and pretend to dig through her purse for her keys.

“No problem, still got that frozen dinner waiting for me at home.” Chloe offered a forced smile, got out of her chair, and turned to walk toward the door. Lex grabbed her arm and she spun around. He sighed and shook his head slightly.

“Think your car will be safe out there?” He motioned to her car in the street. She let the corner of her lips curl up just a little.

“Of course Lex,” she started, the sarcastic undercurrent apparent. “We’re in Smallville.” He nodded, but didn’t smile. She noticed that he was still gripping her arm, glanced at her arm, and then back to his face, but he didn’t let go. Instead he began walking with her toward the door.

“We’ll take my car then.” He paused and looked over at her confused expression. “I think your dad would notice the mileage on your car to Metropolis and back.” Chloe’s jaw dropped open and she stopped dead in her tracks.

“I can’t go to Metropolis,” she said, appearing dumbfounded by his suggestion. He took her hand in his gently and bowed his head so he wouldn’t have to look in her eyes.

“My father died,” he said in a quiet voice. Chloe felt the guilt sweep over her. He was trying to let her in, something she knew that he didn’t do often. She gazed down as well.

“I’m sorry.” He let his eyes wander to hers and saw that the apology was genuine. She wasn’t sorry for his father dying, but for the pain it caused him, and the hurt she herself had inflicted by turning down his offer to let her into his life. Lex hoped that her statement also meant that she would reconsider going to Metropolis with him. He didn’t want to rush her, but to have her there as a friend, as more than a friend, he realized it would mean everything to him. She took one of her hands out of his and raised it to his cheek. She placed it there softly and gave him a small grin.

“Do I have time to pack?” He grinned and leaned into her touch.

“That’s not necessary.”

“Well, unless you want me to sleep naked tonight,” she started snarkily, but quickly shut her mouth and blushed at the implication that she had just brought up. Lex chuckled.

“That’s not what I meant, although…” She punched him in the shoulder lightly, but his chuckle just turned into a laugh. “I meant that we can just buy you whatever you need when we get into town. I’m sure that you don’t want to hang around in a mortuary office talking about funeral details.” Chloe’s face dropped and she looked down.

“Yeah,” she said quietly. “I’d rather not go through that again,” she mumbled. Lex furrowed his brow and lifted her chin with his hand.

“Again?” He could see her eyes starting to well up with tears.

“Um,” she choked out, “my mom. When she died, I had to go with my dad to the mortuary because there wasn’t anyone who could watch me.” She refused to look him directly in the eyes and brushed a tear off of her cheek. He pulled her into a strong embrace and stroked her hair with his hand.

“Shh, it’s okay. I didn’t realize that you had lost your mother too.” Chloe nodded and sniffled. He pulled out of the hug and grabbed a Kleenex from the box on the counter for her.

“Thanks.” He nodded and placed a hand on her back.

“We should get going.” She nodded and they walked out to his car.

~*~*~*~

The ride to Metropolis was uneventful for the most part. Lex drove quickly, as usual, and Chloe didn’t mind the lack of conversation drowned out by the loud music. He had offered to not play anything, but making small talk right now seemed pointless. She knew, despite his efforts to conceal it, that he was hurting from his father’s death. Chloe didn’t really feel like drudging up old memories right now either. She had almost gone into meltdown just from telling him that her mother had died so many years ago, she could only imagine the pain it would cause her to talk more in depth about it.

As promised, Lex set Chloe up with a personal shopper to keep her company while he took care of the business at hand. He hated hospitals, too many memories from when his mother had been sick, and was thankfully spared having to spend much time there. Just a couple of signatures and he was on his way to the mortuary. He hoped that he wouldn’t have to spend much time there either, although he didn’t know how much his father had planned ahead of time. He didn’t like Chloe being alone in the city. Granted, she was in a store with a personal shopper, but he doubted that would be much security if someone tried to hit on her. Lex shook his head. He wasn’t even officially dating her yet, and he was already coming up with worst-case scenarios like a jealous boyfriend. He mentally chided himself. He should be more distraught over his father’s passing, but he wasn’t. In truth, all he wanted to do now was just forget about it and move on with his own life. Of course, he had wanted to do that when his father was still alive too, but the puppet master was always standing in the way. The only problem he could see with his father dying was that someone had to take his place. There was always that fight between good and evil, and although he wanted so desperately to believe that he was the first, he had a bad feeling in his gut that the position he had just inherited was corrupt in itself.

Lex went back to the apartment that he kept in the city and found Chloe waiting for him. She was sitting on the floor with her back leaned up against the door. She smiled at him and Lex’s deep thoughts went by the wayside.

“Hey,” she greeted. He grinned.

“That’s all you got?” He asked, motioning to the two bags next to her. She rolled her eyes and stood up.

“We’re only staying the night, and I wouldn’t have even needed this stuff if you had let me go home to pack,” she rationalized. He shook his head and unlocked the door.

“You know,” he turned to face her, “most women would have gotten an entirely new wardrobe if someone else was paying for it.” She smiled brightly and her eyes sparkled. She picked up the bags and walked past him into the apartment.

“If you had been with me, maybe.” She emphasized the last part and threw the bags on the couch and looked around the room. “You really need all this space? You’re never even here.” He grinned, shut the door behind him, and walked over to her.

“I’ll probably have to be here more often now,” he replied in a somber tone. She turned her head so she could face him, and then nodded.

“Wow, that really sucks for me,” she mumbled under her breath as she quickly looked the other direction. He grabbed her arm and pulled her close to him.

“Why?” He asked, as he leant down and softly kissed her on the neck. She felt a shiver run through her body.

“Um…” Her eyes flitted and closed as he continued to place soft kisses on her neck, and then down to her collarbone.

~*~*~
Ch. 9
~*~*~

Chloe moved her leg so it wrapped around Lex’s leg, and moaned when he adjusted his body so that his other knee was between her thighs. She grasped on to his arms and back with her hands as their tongues danced. Lex pulled back and kissed his way across her face. She shivered when she felt his warm breath blowing in her ear. She made an inaudible sound of approval and he grinned. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes when she felt him grin, instead deciding that turnabout was fair play. Chloe moved her hand down to the bulge in his pants and he gasped. He pulled back and stared her in the eye.

“Chloe,” he said, almost a warning tinge to his voice. She smiled back at him, her eyes shimmering. He cocked his head slightly.

“Yes?” She asked playfully, ignoring his tone.

“God,” he sounded almost exasperated. “You shouldn’t do that sort of thing to a guy unless…” Chloe leaned up and kissed him. After eliciting a groan from him from gently sucking on his lower lip, she rested back against the couch again.

“Unless what?” She asked. Lex arched an eyebrow at her.

“Chloe,” he paused, and averted his eyes from hers. “Are you sure?” Chloe pulled him closer and took his earlobe into her mouth. Lex closed his eyes and let the sensation take over. He took her nonverbal action as an affirmative. “Right.” He began lifting the bottom of her shirt as they started kissing again. Lex stretched out a leg on the couch and accidentally kicked off the two bags Chloe had thrown there earlier. They both turned their heads when the bags hit the ground. Lex sat up and reached for the bags. Chloe took the opportunity to remove her shirt, a fact which Lex didn’t take notice of immediately, because he was rummaging through the contents of the bags.

“Pajamas?” He asked, holding up the items. When he received no response, he turned to face her and his jaw dropped open. Chloe smirked and snuggled up to him.

“Yeah. It doesn’t look like I’m going to be needing those after all.”

~*~*~*~

Clark and Lana took his parents’ truck to the Luthor manor. He had called his parents from The Talon and they told him it was all right to look for Chloe a little longer, but that he should take Pete’s advice and call the police if nothing came of his own search in about an hour. Clark rang the doorbell. After a short period of time, the butler answered the door.

“Can I help you?”

“I need to talk to Lex, it’s important,” Clark said. He had been there enough times so that he didn’t need to introduce himself. The butler kept a still, emotionless face.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kent, but Mr. Luthor is not here at present.”

Clark’s face fell, and Lana started going into panic mode again.

“Do you know where he is? It’s really important,” Lana insisted. The butler looked with disdain upon the young lady standing before him. It was far too late an hour to have to wake up to answer the door for his employer’s friends, especially when said employer wasn’t even home.

“He’s in Metropolis. His father died,” he said in a perfectly even tone. Clark and Lana’s mouths dropped open.

“Oh, no,” said Lana.

“Poor Lex,” agreed Clark. “We already tried calling his cell phone, but we just got the message service. Do you have his number in Metropolis?” The butler raised an eyebrow.

“I’m quite certain that if the young Mr. Luthor wanted to be reached, then he would have picked up his cell phone.”

Clark frowned and Lana ran a hand through her hair. The butler began to close the door, but Clark put his foot in the way.

“Please?” Clark pleaded. The butler let out a small sigh and left to retrieve the phone number of Lex’s apartment in Metropolis. Lana gave Clark a small smile and put her hand on his arm.

“We’ll find her,” she said, trying to convince herself more than Clark. The butler came back and handed Clark a small slip of paper.

“I would wait until morning to call him Mr. Kent. His behavior could be unpredictable right now, having just found out about his father’s death this afternoon,” the butler warned. Clark nodded. He had no intention of taking the man’s advice, but he didn’t need to know that.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe and Lex made their way to his bedroom, leaving a trail of disheveled clothing in their wake. Neither of them could believe this was happening. They had only begun really talking a couple of weeks ago. It was so fast, and each of them had a small voice telling them it was too fast, but at the same time, they knew it felt right. It was right. Lex moved down to capture one of Chloe’s nipples in his mouth, rolling the other between his finger and thumb. Her eyes rolled back at the pleasure coursing through her. His deft fingers skimmed down her skin and she shivered, knowing his destination. Her hips bucked when he thrust a finger into her and rubbed her clit with his thumb.

“God, Lex,” she panted out. He smiled and basked in the sensation. He was the one who’s name she called out, the one she… no. He wouldn’t make that presumption, even if she had almost told him earlier that night. He would wait to hear it from her, and silently wish that he had the courage to tell her first, that he felt the same.

“Chloe?” He rasped out the question. Their eyes met and she nodded. He entered her and paused for a moment so he could get used to her tight walls. “God,” he proclaimed, and begun a rhythm of thrusting that was met by an incoherent moaning from the woman beneath him. The phone began ringing, but neither of them heard it.

~*~*~*~*~

Lana looked up expectantly at Clark. He frowned and shook his head as he hung up the phone in The Talon.

“I let it ring twenty times, but there was no answer, not even a machine,” he said despairingly, and then paused. “You don’t think he’d do anything stupid do you?” Lana’s face scrunched up in thought.

“Well, I know that I still have trouble accepting the loss of my parents, and it’s been a long time since they died,” she said in a quiet voice. Clark nodded and gave her a sympathetic look.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault.” She gave him a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. “Maybe we should call the police now.” He frowned, but nodded, and hoped that his friends were all right.

~*~*~
Ch. 10
~*~*~

Chloe moved her leg so it wrapped around Lex’s leg, and moaned when he adjusted his body so that his other knee was between her thighs. She grasped on to his arms and back with her hands as their tongues danced. Lex pulled back and kissed his way across her face. She shivered when she felt his warm breath blowing in her ear. She made an inaudible sound of approval and he grinned. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes when she felt him grin, instead deciding that turnabout was fair play. Chloe moved her hand down to the bulge in his pants and he gasped. He pulled back and stared her in the eye.

“Chloe,” he said, almost a warning tinge to his voice. She smiled back at him, her eyes shimmering. He cocked his head slightly.

“Yes?” She asked playfully, ignoring his tone.

“God,” he sounded almost exasperated. “You shouldn’t do that sort of thing to a guy unless…” Chloe leaned up and kissed him. After eliciting a groan from him from gently sucking on his lower lip, she rested back against the couch again.

“Unless what?” She asked. Lex arched an eyebrow at her.

“Chloe,” he paused, and averted his eyes from hers. “Are you sure?” Chloe pulled him closer and took his earlobe into her mouth. Lex closed his eyes and let the sensation take over. He took her nonverbal action as an affirmative. “Right.” He began lifting the bottom of her shirt as they started kissing again. Lex stretched out a leg on the couch and accidentally kicked off the two bags Chloe had thrown there earlier. They both turned their heads when the bags hit the ground. Lex sat up and reached for the bags. Chloe took the opportunity to remove her shirt, a fact which Lex didn’t take notice of immediately, because he was rummaging through the contents of the bags.

“Pajamas?” He asked, holding up the items. When he received no response, he turned to face her and his jaw dropped open. Chloe smirked and snuggled up to him.

“Yeah. It doesn’t look like I’m going to be needing those after all.”

~*~*~*~

Clark and Lana took his parents’ truck to the Luthor manor. He had called his parents from The Talon and they told him it was all right to look for Chloe a little longer, but that he should take Pete’s advice and call the police if nothing came of his own search in about an hour. Clark rang the doorbell. After a short period of time, the butler answered the door.

“Can I help you?”

“I need to talk to Lex, it’s important,” Clark said. He had been there enough times so that he didn’t need to introduce himself. The butler kept a still, emotionless face.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kent, but Mr. Luthor is not here at present.”

Clark’s face fell, and Lana started going into panic mode again.

“Do you know where he is? It’s really important,” Lana insisted. The butler looked with disdain upon the young lady standing before him. It was far too late an hour to have to wake up to answer the door for his employer’s friends, especially when said employer wasn’t even home.

“He’s in Metropolis. His father died,” he said in a perfectly even tone. Clark and Lana’s mouths dropped open.

“Oh, no,” said Lana.

“Poor Lex,” agreed Clark. “We already tried calling his cell phone, but we just got the message service. Do you have his number in Metropolis?” The butler raised an eyebrow.

“I’m quite certain that if the young Mr. Luthor wanted to be reached, then he would have picked up his cell phone.”

Clark frowned and Lana ran a hand through her hair. The butler began to close the door, but Clark put his foot in the way.

“Please?” Clark pleaded. The butler let out a small sigh and left to retrieve the phone number of Lex’s apartment in Metropolis. Lana gave Clark a small smile and put her hand on his arm.

“We’ll find her,” she said, trying to convince herself more than Clark. The butler came back and handed Clark a small slip of paper.

“I would wait until morning to call him Mr. Kent. His behavior could be unpredictable right now, having just found out about his father’s death this afternoon,” the butler warned. Clark nodded. He had no intention of taking the man’s advice, but he didn’t need to know that.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe and Lex made their way to his bedroom, leaving a trail of disheveled clothing in their wake. Neither of them could believe this was happening. They had only begun really talking a couple of weeks ago. It was so fast, and each of them had a small voice telling them it was too fast, but at the same time, they knew it felt right. It was right. Lex moved down to capture one of Chloe’s nipples in his mouth, rolling the other between his finger and thumb. Her eyes rolled back at the pleasure coursing through her. His deft fingers skimmed down her skin and she shivered, knowing his destination. Her hips bucked when he thrust a finger into her and rubbed her clit with his thumb.

“God, Lex,” she panted out. He smiled and basked in the sensation. He was the one who’s name she called out, the one she… no. He wouldn’t make that presumption, even if she had almost told him earlier that night. He would wait to hear it from her, and silently wish that he had the courage to tell her first, that he felt the same.

“Chloe?” He rasped out the question. Their eyes met and she nodded. He entered her and paused for a moment so he could get used to her tight walls. “God,” he proclaimed, and begun a rhythm of thrusting that was met by an incoherent moaning from the woman beneath him. The phone began ringing, but neither of them heard it.

~*~*~*~*~

Lana looked up expectantly at Clark. He frowned and shook his head as he hung up the phone in The Talon.

“I let it ring twenty times, but there was no answer, not even a machine,” he said despairingly, and then paused. “You don’t think he’d do anything stupid do you?” Lana’s face scrunched up in thought.

“Well, I know that I still have trouble accepting the loss of my parents, and it’s been a long time since they died,” she said in a quiet voice. Clark nodded and gave her a sympathetic look.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault.” She gave him a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. “Maybe we should call the police now.” He frowned, but nodded, and hoped that his friends were all right.

scifichick774
19th April 2003, 18:19
~*~*~
Ch. 11
~*~*~

Clark stared at his alarm clock and sighed. The police had left over two hours ago and people would be getting up about now. His dad had already been up for an hour, but had let Clark “sleep”, because he had been looking for Chloe all night. Clark had given the police all the information he had. All of the phone numbers, including the one for the hotel where Gabe Sullivan was staying, had been handed over. He hoped they would find her, and that she’d be safe, but he hadn’t heard any word yet. Although they had both said they’d still be friends, Clark hadn’t seen her around much lately. He got a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, a guilty feeling, when he realized that he hadn’t made much of an effort to see her lately.

With Whitney gone, Clark had been spending much of his time around Lana. A thought struck him. Lana said she thought the flowers had been from the new guy at school. Maybe Chloe was with him. ‘Hmm, no,’ he thought, ‘she’s barely even acknowledged his existence.’ Then a more dire thought crossed his mind. ‘Maybe she’s with him, but not because she wants to be. Crap.’ He sprung out of bed and got dressed.

~*~*~*~

Clark walked up to the door of Tim Joseph’s house. He felt awkward, as he hadn’t really made an attempt to get to know him yet. But, that’s what this was for right? ‘Introduce yourself to the new kid and use your x-ray vision to scan his house for a bound and gagged Chloe.’ Clark snapped the thought out of his mind and rang the bell. Tim answered it. He was tall and good looking, with a smile that could rival one of Clark’s best. Clark tried to keep from frowning. ‘Maybe she’s not with him because he abducted her.’

“Hey! It’s kind of early. Clark right?” He extended a hand and Clark shook it.

“Yeah. Just thought I’d come by and say hi. Local welcome wagon and all that.” Clark shoved his hands in his pockets and tried to casually look around as he followed Tim into the house.

“Aren’t welcome wagons supposed to have Jell-O molds and stuff?” Tim joked. Clark smiled.

“Only the girls,” he answered. They chuckled.

“So…”

“So,” Clark nervously ran a hand through his hair. He didn’t see Chloe, using regular vision or otherwise, but Tim still seemed like a nice guy. Why not see if he was right for Chloe? “I actually have a secret agenda.” Tim arched an eyebrow.

“Lana tells me that she thinks you might be,” Clark paused, “interested in Chloe.” The last part of the sentence came out as more of a question. Tim nodded and smiled.

“The cute little blonde reporter,” Tim acknowledged. “Yeah. Haven’t gotten to know her that well though. The last few times I was going to try and approach her, some bald guy always came to sit next to her. I figured he was her boyfriend, so I let it go. Why?”
Clark smiled and shrugged.

“She’s a friend of mine. And, you shouldn’t have given up so soon. Lex is a good guy, but there’s no way Chloe would ever be interested in him like that. She goes more for the tall, dark, and handsome thing.”

“Ah. And Lex, the bald guy,” Tim clarified and Clark nodded. “He’s a friend of yours too?”

“Yeah.” Clark thought for a second. “Why?”

“Nothing,” Tim grinned. “Good to know I’ve still got a chance.” Clark smiled.

“I should get going,” he said. Tim smiled and walked him back to the door. He waved goodbye to Clark.

‘Maybe I should have told him that I saw them kissing,’ Tim thought. A mischievous grin appeared on his face as he closed the door.

Clark drove home and was suddenly struck by the thought that he should try to call Lex again; he should certainly be back at his apartment by now.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe was awakened by an annoying and persistent ringing. She furrowed her brow and snuggled back onto Lex’s chest, which she had been using as a pillow.

‘They’ll give up any minute now,’ she thought to herself. The phone kept ringing and Chloe sighed. She stumbled out of bed and rubbed her eyes as she made a half-hearted effort to locate the phone. Even in her partially asleep state, she discerned that it was neither of their cell phones. She reached the phone, and just as she was about to pick it up, it stopped ringing. She grumbled.

“I wonder why the machine didn’t pick it up,” Lex commented from the bed. She glanced at the man whom she thought had been sleeping. He was lying on his side, his head propped up by his elbow. She quickly looked back to the phone and back to Lex again.

“Looks like it’s turned off,” she said casually, making her way back to the side of the bed she had been on. Lex reached up and pulled her to the bed.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked with a straight face. Chloe laughed.

“I was going back to my side of the bed paranoid boy,” she said as she kissed his forehead. His arms wrapped around her.

“Paranoid man,” he corrected, barely able to keep his stoic resolve. Chloe smiled and Lex began to nibble at her neck. She wrapped her arms around him. The phone began to ring again, and Lex ignored it.

“If you’re not going to answer it, you should just take it off the hook,” Chloe observed. Lex grumbled and Chloe laughed, removing her arms from his body.

“Hey!” He frowned at the loss of contact and she rolled her eyes.

“At least turn on the answering machine so we don’t have to listen to it ring a zillion times,” she pleaded.

“Your wish is my command my lady.”

“Really?” She asked with a coy smile and a glint in her eyes. He raised an eyebrow.

“I have to wait until they hang up though. For some reason, it won’t work if you turn it on in the middle of a call,” Lex explained. She rolled her eyes again and stretched across him, reaching for the phone.

“Or you could just answer it,” she said as she placed her hand on the receiver. Lex lay back down, disappointed that their foreplay had taken a wrong turn.

“I have no desire or incentive to do that Chloe. If the ringing is driving you that crazy, then you can answer it.” He smirked, but it faded quickly after Chloe picked up the phone. He put a pillow over his face.

“Hello?” She greeted cheerfully. She could hear Lex chuckle, but she sure as hell wasn’t going to act like his secretary and answer it ‘Lex Luthor’s house, can I take a message?’ or some other ridiculous thing like that. Her face went pale when the person on the other end of the line spoke.

“Chloe?”

~*~*~
Ch. 12
~*~*~

At Chloe’s silence, Lex removed the pillow from his head and looked over at her. She was pale and shaking. He frowned. The only person he thought could cause that kind of reaction in people was his father, and he was dead.

“Clark?” Chloe managed to ask in a squeal.

‘Or him,’ Lex thought. He recognized her tone as one of ghastly surprise and he motioned with his hand for her to give him the phone. He could hear Clark saying something as she passed the phone to him, but couldn’t make out what it was. He was upset that a phone call from Clark, who shouldn’t even have that number, could cause Chloe so much turmoil.

“Clark,” Lex greeted in a neutral tone. “May I ask why you’re calling? It’s still kind of early isn’t it?”

“Chloe’s with you?” Clark asked, already knowing the answer, but avoiding Lex’s question. Lex sighed.

“Yes.” He paused. “Why? Has something happened?”

“God! Lex! Do you know how scared everyone has been about her? We thought some guy off her wall of weird or something snagged her again,” Clark rushed his words together.

“Again?” He looked over at Chloe who was now calming down from the initial shock. She noticed his gaze and quickly grabbed a sheet from the bed to cover herself. He smiled broadly, but had to restrain from chuckling. That probably wouldn’t go over too well with a panicked Clark Kent.

“Well, yeah. There was the bad guy she dated for a while who tried to kill her, that whole thing at your house and getting pushed out the window, although I guess technically they didn’t abduct her,” Clark trailed off in thought. “Wait. Why is she there with you?” He asked in an almost accusing tone.

“Ah. Right. I was kind of hoping to talk to you about that in person Clark.” Lex saw Chloe’s eyes widen, even though she hadn’t heard what he was responding to, she could guess. He grinned again and moved closer to her. She eyed him with loving suspicion. Lex placed a chaste kiss on her lips and moved away so he could continue his conversation with Clark.

“What do you mean?”

“Clark,” Lex paused. He didn’t want to be indelicate about this. From what he knew, Chloe and Clark’s friendship was just starting to heal, but wasn’t there yet. He also knew that Clark would probably still be possessive of Chloe, regardless of the fact that they had agreed to just be friends. He certainly had no desire to get into a fight with Clark, but if he needed to, he would. “Chloe and I are seeing each other.” Lex could almost hear Clark’s jaw drop open on the other side of the line.

“What?!” Clark was in shock. This wasn’t happening; maybe it was all just a bad dream. It had to be. Chloe was in love with him, or at least she used to be. Clark refused to acknowledge what was happening. “I don’t believe you,” he said. Lex let out a sigh.

“Clark, think about it.” He kept his tone neutral, no need upsetting Clark more than he was already. “The flowers and the call her dad made to your parents. You had to have noticed how we acted around each other when you’ve seen us in the same room.”

“Yeah, you always fight,” Clark argued. Lex laughed.

“Clark, no.” Lex gazed over at Chloe who was now indicating that she was going to take a shower. He smiled and nodded. “Well, yes, but not because we dislike each other. It’s a form of, um, foreplay if you will.” He waited for Clark to respond, but only heard silence. “Clark?” Clark was rubbing his temple.

“I, I don’t know what to think Lex. Pete told me that she liked me, everything she said indicated that she liked me, not you,” Clark emphasized the last part.

“She still likes you Clark, I know she still considers you a friend. And for a woman to do that after you leave her at a dance for another girl, that says a lot about how much she values your friendship.”

“I meant like like,” Clark blushed. Lex grinned.

“I know what you meant Clark. I’m sure that she did have a crush on you, but I love her. And if you think I’m just going to let her go, you’ve lost your mind.”

“You love her?” Clark’s voice came out almost as a whisper. Lex rubbed his eyes and thanked God that Chloe was in the shower. He was sure that she felt the same way, but their relationship had progressed very quickly, and he didn’t want to risk scaring her away, and letting her run back into Clark’s arms.

“Clark, I really have to go now. Chloe just got out of the shower, and we’re going to have breakfast before we start back to Smallville.”

“This isn’t over. I want to talk to you when you get back,” Clark said in an ominous tone, the threat clearly implied. Lex frowned.

“Yeah, I figured.” He hung up the phone and went to knock on the bathroom door. “Chloe?”

She answered the door wearing a towel and drying her hair with another. She cast him a beaming smile and he leaned down to kiss her. Their mouths fused together in a much more passionate union than Lex had been expecting. When they tore apart to breathe he arched an eyebrow at her.

“What was that for?” He asked. She still had her arms wrapped around his neck, and stood on the tips of her toes to reach his ear.

“You complaining?” She answered in a sultry tone. He shook his head no. “If you must know, that was for taking over the phone call with Clark. I’m sorry I just froze like that.”

“I’m not,” he said. At her confused look, he decided to elaborate. “If you had stayed on the phone with him, he may have tried to talk you into not seeing me anymore.”

“I don’t think he would do that Lex, he knows you’re a good guy,” Chloe said. Lex didn’t seem convinced, but he needed to change the topic. He grinned and removed her towel. Lex perused her body with his eyes and smirked.

“Looks like you missed a spot,” he commented casually. Her eyes grew wide in horror and she looked down.

“What?! Where?” She asked. Lex started laughing and opened the shower door.

“I think you need another shower,” he motioned for her to get in, but didn’t release his grip on her waist. “And I’ll help you this time,” he said suggestively. She grinned and arched her eyebrow.

“Never thought that you’d have a one track mind Mr. Luthor.”

“I’m a guy.” He shrugged. Lex motioned to the shower with his head again. “So?” Chloe rolled her eyes and pulled him into the shower.

~*~*~
Ch. 13
~*~*~

Lex nipped gently at her neck as the warm water flowed over them in their post-coital bliss. He turned away from her and turned the shower faucets off. He felt her hand on his shoulder, but only cocked his head to the side to acknowledge it.

“Is something wrong?” Chloe asked with concern. Lex sighed. He couldn’t very well ignore his conversation with Clark.

“He’s going to take you away from me,” Lex said and turned around to face her. He placed his hands on her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Who?” Chloe asked in an unconvinced tone.

“Clark,” Lex stated. Chloe started laughing and began to leave the shower, grabbing a towel on the way. Lex frowned and picked up a towel too, following her to the other room. “You find that amusing?” She turned and flashed a bright smile.

“I can’t believe you would even think that after everything that’s happened,” she said as she started looking around for her second bag containing clothes for the day. She found it and dumped the contents onto the bed.

“Which is exactly why I think he can do it,” Lex said morosely as he opened his closet and selected an outfit. She raised an eyebrow at him and he gave her a half grin. “That, and he said as much on the phone.” Chloe’s mouth dropped open.

“What?!” Chloe shook her head. “You must have misunderstood Lex. Clark only likes me as a friend.” Lex looked down her body with appreciation at the outfit she was wearing.

“Maybe he finally came to his senses Chloe.” Lex began to knot his tie. She rolled her eyes and gave a sound of disbelief.

“Yeah, and maybe I’ll develop super human abilities from being around so many meteor rocks,” Chloe retorted. Lex chuckled. “The point being is that neither of those things is going to happen.” She walked over to him and placed a hand on his chest. “Why are you being like this? Usually you’re so confident and self-assured.” Chloe was worried. Perhaps Lionel’s death was having more of an impact on Lex than he cared to admit.

“I don’t know Chloe. It’s different with you.”

“It never has been before,” Chloe paused. “You’re by far the most impressive verbal sparring partner I’ve ever had.” They both smiled.

“Thanks. I think.” Lex pulled her into a hug. “That’s not what I meant though. Every other woman I’ve ever dated has wanted to be with me because of my money or power.” Lex grew silent for a moment and thoughtfully considered his next words. “Why are you with me Chloe?” She reached up and brought his face down to hers, giving him a passionate kiss. She wanted to tell him that she loved him, but she thought he would think things were moving too fast and get rid of her. She couldn’t handle another heartbreak right now. He gazed down at her and she grinned.

“You were the one who told me that Clark didn’t deserve me, maybe I’ve decided that you were right.” He grinned back down at her.

“Have you?” He asked. She rolled her eyes again.

“Well, obviously,” she said in a somewhat mocking tone. “Otherwise I wouldn’t be here, in your apartment, after…” she paused and motioned to the bed. He smiled and nodded.

“Just making sure.” He kissed her forehead. “Although, I have a feeling I don’t deserve you either.” She chuckled.

“Maybe not,” she began to walk toward the front room. She started speaking again in a lower volume, thinking he wasn’t following her. “But I’m not going to give up the man that I love just because he’s having imaginary issues about me running off with Clark Kent.” She was startled when Lex grabbed her arm and spun her around.

“The man you love?” He arched his eyebrow and cocked his head, a grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. Chloe’s eyes grew wide.

“I don’t suppose you could forget you heard that?” She asked sheepishly. His grin grew larger. He had yet to let go of her arm, and now he took the other one with his free hand.

“I think that might prove difficult, if not impossible,” Lex said. Chloe’s eyes dropped to the floor. She didn’t want to hear the words that she was sure were about to come. He took a hand off her arm and raised her chin with it. “I love you too Chloe.” He didn’t give her a chance to respond. He leaned down and kissed her. He slid his tongue into her mouth and she moaned. When the kiss ended, they were both breathing heavily. As much as Lex would have loved to just keep her there for the day, or longer, he knew that they had to go back to Smallville. “I told Clark we would be having breakfast before we left. Do you want anything?” She shook her head.

“Just coffee.”

“That’s not healthy you know,” he smirked and leaned down to brush his lips against her ear. “But I think it can be arranged.” She shivered at his warm breath moving into her ear. He ran his hands down her bare arms. “I would suggest another activity to take up the time, but I’m guessing that Clark knows you don’t eat breakfast.” It came out as more of a question than a statement. Chloe nodded. “Damn,” Lex said, only half-kidding.

~*~*~*~

The drive back to Smallville took longer than usual due to road construction, but Clark was unaware of this fact. He knew that Chloe usually only had coffee in place of breakfast, maybe a muffin too if she was famished. He was pacing back and forth on the front porch of the Sullivan house when Lex’s car drove up. Clark rushed to the passenger side door and had to restrain himself from ripping it off the car when he tried to open it and it was locked.

“Chloe?” He said, louder than he needed to. The door unlocked and she stepped out, only to be pulled into a quick, and somewhat overbearing, hug by him.

“Clark, you’re crushing me,” she managed to gasp out. Clark let her go and looked at her skittishly. She could almost swear she saw a blush rise to his cheeks.

“Sorry.” He gave her a small smile and puppy dog eyes and she nodded. Lex had gotten out of his side and was standing by the front of the car.

“Not that I’m not glad to have my own personal welcoming committee, but what are you doing here Clark?” She gave a smile more out of recognition than joy. He took her hands in his and she glared at him, pulling them away.

“Chloe, we were so worried about you,” Clark said. Her face contorted in confusion.

“Why?” She asked. Clark spun around and gave Lex a quick, but menacing glare.

“We didn’t know where you were, your car was out in front of The Beanery, but…”

“Oo-hh, yeah,” Chloe thought out loud. “I forgot about the car.” She looked over at Lex. “Think you can take me by there so I can pick it up?” He nodded.

“I can take you Chloe,” Clark said, motioning to the truck. She smiled and shook her head.

“That’s okay Clark, Lex can take me,” she answered. Quickly followed by a mental note at the double entendre of ‘Although, I probably shouldn’t be telling you that.’

“Chloe.” Clark looked full of anguish, his eyes pleading with hers to tell him that she wasn’t really with Lex. Lex moved over to stand behind Chloe. Clark glanced at him, at his now foreboding presence. The man who had been his friend, the man who was quickly becoming his enemy. Clark’s anger began to stir. How dare Lex take her away from him? Even if they were just friends right now, he knew that he could convince Chloe to like him again. He hadn’t meant to make such a big mistake in pushing her away. “Can I talk to you alone?”

“No,” Lex answered for Chloe. Clark glared at him. This wasn’t going to be easy. He hoped that if he could get Chloe alone, that she would listen to him, forgive him for driving her into Lex’s arms, realize that Lex wasn’t the one she cared for. Clark came out of his mental ramble when Chloe spoke.

“I’m sorry that you were scared Clark, but I’m fine, really,” Chloe said and touched his arm. She let go, turned around, and smiled at Lex. “We should probably go pick up the car,” she said, and he nodded. This was going better than Lex had hoped. He placed his hand on the small of her back and opened the car door for her. Her stomach grumbled and she rubbed it. “Damn. I’ll have to get something to eat while I’m in town,” she mumbled to herself. Clark furrowed his brow.

“I thought you actually had breakfast for once, isn’t that why you’re late?”

“No. Road construction,” Chloe replied. He gave her a look like he didn’t believe her. She rolled her eyes at him and turned to get in the car. Clark held out his hand to her.

“At least let me take you to lunch?” He pleaded. “We obviously have a lot of catching up to do.”

~*~*~
Ch. 14
~*~*~

“Now really isn’t the time Clark,” Lex said, mentally adding that it would never be. Chloe started to get angry. She could see that this pre-fight hoopla was more of a pissing contest than anything, and she was not some prize to be won. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. No reason to start yelling at them, right?

“Lex is right Clark,” she said as she extended her arm to touch his hand. “But we can talk later. After I get back from town if you want.” Clark gave a sulky look, but he nodded.

“How long do you think you’ll be?” Clark asked. Chloe shrugged and looked at Lex.

“No more than an hour, I can just get take out after I pick up Dad’s car.” Chloe reasoned. Lex frowned and Clark noticed, but he didn’t say anything.

“I’ll come back in an hour then,” Clark said, giving her a small grin, and ignoring the scowl on Lex’s face. He was going to win back her affections. Lex Luthor didn’t know whom he was dealing with.

~*~*~*~

The car ride into town was fraught with emotion. Lex was almost surprised to not see Clark following them, but he doubted that Clark would give Chloe up so easily.

“I could just take you to lunch you know,” Lex offered, grinning at Chloe. “Or we could have lunch at my house.” She smiled.

“I know, but I told Clark I would only be an hour,” she paused and looked over at him with a glint in her eye. “And if we had lunch at your house, I have a feeling that it would end up being much later than that for other reasons.” Her sexual innuendo wasn’t missed by Lex and he winked at her. She started laughing and shook her head. “Somehow I doubt that Clark would be too pleased if I told him I was late because we went to your house to have sex.” Lex chuckled.

“No, probably not,” he said. Chloe sighed.

“I really wish that you two would start getting along again. What started this pissing contest anyway?”

“You,” he said bluntly. Chloe narrowed her eyes at him.

“What?” She asked in disbelief. Lex sighed as they pulled up to The Beanery.

“You,” he said again. “Clark is your friend and he’s my friend. He feels that by my going out with you that I’m somehow stealing you away from him.” Lex conveniently left out the part where he thought that Clark had some unresolved romantic feelings toward her. Chloe frowned.

“The whole triangle friendship thing, someone usually feels left out,” she agreed. “I’m just used to it being me.” Lex gave her a small grin and leaned over to kiss her. He ran a hand through her hair, as their lips seem to melt together.

“Never again, I promise.” He rested his forehead against hers for a brief moment and then Chloe pulled away.

“I suppose I should get going,” she said in a reluctant voice.

“I suppose,” Lex agreed, trying to keep his emotions from showing. He didn’t want her to leave him, especially not to go see Clark Kent by herself. But, he knew that if he became too possessive that Chloe would resent it immediately and push him away. His love for her won out over his jealousy. “Just don’t let him try anything,” he warned, making his tone sound like he was joking. She laughed.

“He’s never tried anything in all the years that I’ve known him, I don’t think he’s going to start now,” she replied. He didn’t smile and Chloe realized he hadn’t been kidding around. She touched his cheek with her palm and gave him a soft kiss. “Don’t worry, I have pepper spray if he gets too hands-on.” He nodded and let her leave the car and felt his heart constrict as she waved good-bye and left.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe pulled up in her driveway to find Clark already waiting there for her. She got out of her car, grabbing her fast food bag. She gave him a bright smile and he returned it. She knew how badly she had felt when she was the third wheel and she didn’t want Clark to feel that way.

“Hey Clark!” She greeted, giving him her best one-armed hug. “You’re early.” They walked to the front door so she could unlock it. He saw that she was about to put the fast food bag in her mouth so she could fumble with the lock and he reached over and grabbed it. She grinned. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” he responded, ducking his eyes down and smiling. A look that would have certainly made Chloe swoon just a few weeks ago, which is what he was counting on. She didn’t seem to notice though, which made Clark frown. Chloe went to sit on the couch and Clark joined her, handing her the bag. She quickly opened it and dug out a cheeseburger and French fries. She suddenly felt guilty.

“Are you hungry? I didn’t even think to get anything for you, but we can share if you want,” Chloe said. Clark shook his head no and chuckled.

“No, I’m good,” he said. Chloe sighed and looked at him.

“Are you okay Clark? Lex kind of filled me in on what’s going on,” she admitted. He eyed her suspiciously.

“What did he tell you?” Clark asked cautiously. Chloe swallowed part of her meal and answered.

“That you were upset that he and I were seeing each other, because we’re both your friends, and you were feeling like I was deserting you,” she paraphrased. Chloe gave a small grin and touched his arm. “I know what it’s like to feel left out Clark, all you had to do was say something.” Clark looked astonished. Not the reaction Chloe was expecting. “What?”

“I…” Clark looked at the confused grin on Chloe’s face and leaned down to kiss her. She pushed away from him in shock and stood up.

“What are you doing?!” She yelled. Clark stood up and tried to come closer to her, but she took a step back, warning him with her eyes not to come any closer.

“You don’t belong with him Chloe,” Clark said, his voice calm and level. Chloe closed her eyes for a moment.

“You’re wrong Clark,” she said as she shook her head and wrapped her arms around her waist. “If we hadn’t gone through what we did with the whole Lana situation, I would have never seen how much I belong with him.” Clark looked crestfallen.

“What do you mean?” He asked. She let out an exasperated sigh.

“Clark, you and I are friends.” She started to walk around the room. “But, you were right before, we’re just friends. You’re cute and nice so I had a crush on you.” Clark’s smile almost blinded her, and she had to resist rolling her eyes. “But, we were never supposed to be together, not like that. You knew it from the start. I think the only reason you started thinking otherwise is because I was starting to ignore you as a friend. Think about it Clark, you seemed fine when you thought the flowers were from that new guy.”
Clark scowled. He should have figured that the flowers weren’t from Tim.

“They were from Lex,” he stated, just now having it click together. She nodded and stepped closer to him.

“He’s a good guy Clark, and we’re both still your friends,” Chloe said, trying to convince him. Trying to lighten the mood, she added, “Besides, this will give you the opportunity to pursue Lana guilt-free.” He smiled and nodded. She returned his smile. “Still friends?” He pulled her into a hug.

“Always.” He pulled away from her.

“So, still friends with Lex too?” She asked hopefully. He rolled his eyes and she laughed.

“Yeah. I’m sorry about overreacting.” Clark stuck his hands in his pockets and gave her a loving expression. She nodded. His eyes narrowed just a little with his next question. “So, what are you going to tell your dad?” Chloe’s eyes grew wide and she pursed her lips.

“I have no idea,” she admitted. They both started laughing. The front door opened and Gabe Sullivan walked through it, carrying his luggage. He gave them a warm smile.

“Hey sweetheart,” he greeted as Chloe came over to hug him. He nodded to Clark. “Clark.” He turned his attention back to his daughter. “How was everything while I was gone?”

“Fine Dad,” she said reassuringly. Clark gave her a knowing grin.

“I know you’re going to be mad at me Chloe, but I have to go into work tonight. I learned some stuff at the conference that I think is going to make a big difference at the plant.” He looked nervous, expecting a bad reaction, but instead received a smile.

“No problem Dad, I have plans with Lex anyway,” she said, figuring she would just slip it into the conversation casually. He looked confused.

“Lex?” He asked, furrowing his brow. Chloe laughed and Clark chuckled.

“It’s a long story Dad,” she patted him on the back. “It’s a long story.”

The End

kidkarmina
7th July 2003, 04:48
I wish this actually happened in the show. I like this better than the actual episode. :wub: :yay: :worship2:...do not know what else to say....

:chlexsign4: !!!

NightGlow
7th July 2003, 06:56
I began rereading this story, for nostalgia's sake, and it suddenly occurred to me that I never reviewed it the first time.
Shame on me!!! :nono:
I hope I can make ammends now by telling you it's one of the first Chlex fics I ever read and it prompted me to begin watching Smallville on a regular basis. I wonder if all these cult classics would have such high ratings if it weren't for amazing fanfic writers like you. Hmm... now there's something to ponder. ;)

SexInStilettos
26th September 2003, 21:08
why can't you write for the wb?!?!!? this was a great story....but why must i only read about chlex :crygreen:

nath
5th October 2003, 16:57
i love this story!!

sab to speak and i say yes i read promise but i don't never read..
excuse me sab..

but now i read and i says i love she's so great!!
very very good.

excuse me for my englich i'm so so sorry.. :crygreen:

:chlexsign3: :chlexsign3: :chlexsign1: :chlexsign4:

Sab_Luthor
7th October 2003, 13:33
Originally posted by nath@Oct 5 2003, 04:57 PM
i love this story!!

sab to speak and i say yes i read promise but i don't never read..
excuse me sab..

but now i read and i says i love she's so great!!
very very good.

excuse me for my englich i'm so so sorry.. :crygreen:

:chlexsign3: :chlexsign3: :chlexsign1: :chlexsign4:
naan nath your english is fine i swear
and i told you so
this story i wonderfull
read the sequel as brillant as the first one

ColumbiaBlue
16th October 2003, 22:05
This story was so cute! I second on the idea of you writing for the WB! :balloon: :dance:

Charmingjen
19th October 2003, 15:55
*sigh* great story. I really :love: this line:

But, we were never supposed to be together, not like that. You knew it from the start.

The story was great!
Jen

Ainur
11th November 2004, 06:42
Great fanfic. I liked very much and it has sequels. Great job!!!

bluengreenswmer
22nd February 2005, 04:12
I agree with Ainur. Now I'm off to read the sequels.

starmoon
27th March 2005, 10:04
perfect is all i have to say.

meghan036
11th April 2005, 05:59
perfect is all i have to say.

I totally agree.
:D

cephysia
21st April 2005, 19:43
I love your story, it's just perfect and there is a sequel perfect (I've already said that but... it's perfect)

slyflame
25th April 2005, 19:02
Sorry, I haven't read it completely yet, I just stumbled on this line, and didn't want to forget to praise you for it later:

That’s why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they’d call them something else.
That's just brilliant.

LEXNCHLOEROCK
2nd May 2005, 02:59
What can I say except I loved it!

Fave lines...

"And as far as having lives to destroy, contrary to popular belief, I am not the devil incarnate. That's my father."

'Of course, he's a Luthor so he probably has faking sincerity down pat.'

"Plant closing? Your dad's the devil? Any of this ringing a bell?"

"Actually, I was planning on asking her what she ever saw in you in the first place and telling her to never talk to you again."

"Are you stalking me now?"

"Of course not, I have people to do that for me."

"But I'm not going to give up the man that I love just because he's having imaginary issues about me running off with Clark Kent."

"I love you too Chloe."

arkakitty
2nd June 2005, 11:13
This was great ^^ I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

ggdoll18
17th June 2005, 07:25
really liked it!

buddyfozzy
20th June 2005, 18:05
Aww, this was so sweet! Clark is an idiot, as usual, and I'm glad that Chloe and Lex had a happy ending. Wonderful story!

kimmie
25th June 2005, 17:53
Great story. Loved it :grin3:

Kimmie

Thaís
28th June 2005, 12:08
How cute it was that Chloe just slip it in the conversation with her father that she had plans with Lex???? And on such a wonderful story????
Clark's indecision: I want you, I want you not, and finaly Chloe showing him he didn't really like her like that...
So cute...

Ann
19th September 2005, 17:39
Wow, I really loved this fic! Beautifully written and I loved how Lex was so open with Chloe. I really hope to read more of your fics! :)

redniblet
20th September 2005, 15:45
I just watched "Vortex" yesterday and I was wondering how great would a Chlex story be from there and then I ran across your story. It was great, exactly what I was looking for!

frannie2388
20th October 2005, 07:33
Loved your story.

txalb
18th November 2005, 04:51
What a wonderful story. I loved seeing Lex reason Chloe through her problems with Clark. I also thought the scene with her dad after she got out of the car was priceless. And of course the best part right here:

“Are you stalking me now?” She quipped. He grinned.

“Of course not,” he paused. “I have people to do that for me.”

I loved it, keep up the good work and thanks for writing.

txalb

~*~Tasha~*~
9th June 2006, 23:07
Good one. {Smiles}

Esther25jm
26th July 2006, 08:25
This was great!! Love the friendship blossoming into a relationship for Chlex. Loved the snark!

Tanschana
9th June 2008, 21:05
Great story!

elementia
8th October 2009, 12:38
That was such a sweet story!
<3

bether05
19th April 2010, 21:03
Super cute story! I loved it!! I'm off to see if I can find what comes next....(the sequel)

Cmds1025
16th May 2010, 05:02
supper cute story

emms14
2nd January 2011, 07:22
Fantastic feel-good story! I loved that Lex made Chloe realize her worth. AWW:)

-emms14

LEXSUPERFAN
21st March 2011, 05:48
Great story.
This is a beautiful and super cute story.
I loved how Lex was there to support her.
I'm sure the sequel will be wonderful, I hardly can wait to read it.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story

ajl_gurl84
16th June 2011, 10:32
I love this story!

It's adorable and refreshing... no manipulation going on, no clark being an unreasonable hater (still nosey though).

Just nice fluffy Chlex and my stressed-out brain appreciates it very much... :love2:

Great job! :D

malugargula
17th February 2013, 07:45
Great fic!!!

sarena
27th March 2013, 07:19
Sweet story

jstarr713
17th April 2013, 07:19
lol to them calling the cops like she had been gone so long

Ami Rose
5th June 2013, 01:40