PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] "The Wish" NC17

zelda
21st November 2004, 08:16
Previously posted at Chemistry Takes place during Season 2

Disclaimer: Smallville and all related elements, characters and indicia © Tollin-Robbins Productions and Warner Bros. Television, 2002. All Rights Reserved. All characters and situations—save those created by the authors for use solely on this website—are copyright Tollin-Robbins Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Superman created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster.

The Wish
by Zelda

The day had started out bad and become progressively worse. Lex Luthor was sitting at his desk in his office when his assistant buzzed him.

"Yes." He said tersely. Everyone at the plant had caught his bad mood and a general distance had been kept from his door all day. This interruption was the first since ten AM and it was now nearing noon.

"Mr. Luthor, there is a Chloe Sullivan here to see you." Jane’s voice was tentative and nervous.

"Send her in." He said, leaning back in his chair. This was a new kind of trouble. The kind that brought guilt. He steepled his fingers and rested his chin on their tips. The door to his office opened and he watched with fascination as the petite blonde swept into the room with an imperious wrath. The kind that made her vibrate with an energy that filled his office. Though Lex was used to being on the receiving end of feminine anger and scorn, it never ceased to amaze him when he was presented with the fury of the righteous. As he’d been taught, he rose to his feet as she approached. Though her jaw was set, and her eyes were heated, she retained her manners as well.

"Thank you for seeing me on such short notice." Chloe ground out. She was dressed in a pair of jeans and a pink t-shirt. Not the normal attire for a business meeting, but Lex had guessed that her motives were personal.

"I like to make time for friends." He said casually. He gestured to a chair that sat across from him and she lowered herself into it cautiously, as if it might bite. She looked at him sideways.

"Are we friends, Lex?" She asked. "I don’t think we know each other very well." Her voice was controlled, but she had not bothered to hide her anger.

"Is that why you came?" He asked. Considering recent events, she was not the person he’d expected to see walking through his door. "To get to know me better?" She looked startled at his question, but recovered and started talking.

"I want you to get your father to stop trying to unseat Pete Ross’ mother as Judge." She cut right to the chase. His father was upset over a ruling she had made in favor of a former employee wanting workers compensation. He had requested an inquiry alleging partiality on behalf of the employee. The inquiry was going to mean big trouble for the Ross family. Lex admired Chloe’s spirit in coming to him as well as the intelligence he’d seen in her so far. A plan began to hatch in his mind as he regarded the lovely young woman across from him. She’d be perfect. He smiled. Game on.

"What my father does is not for me to correct or reprimand." He said, sitting down again. He kept his features even and expressionless.

"You stood up to him before," she said, passionately, then reigned in her emotions, "when you fought to keep the plant open, you saved my dad’s job and lots of others."

"And you think that I can help change the judicial system now?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "I can’t make my father drop the inquiry just like that." He said, snapping his fingers for emphasis. "And more importantly," he said, leaning forward, "Why should I?"

"Because it’s the right thing-" Chloe began, but Lex cut her off with a shake of his head.

"I hear that from Clark all the time, but in case you missed the memo, I don’t have a lot of influence over what my father does. In fact," he added, "my trying to save Judge Ross might just make my father even more inclined to unseat her." This was true, but why he was telling this to a high school reporter was still a mystery to him.

"You’re Clark’s friend." Chloe said. "You must have some redeeming qualities." The comment hit home, it was closely followed by a rebound shot. "Or does this mean you are totally helpless against dear-old-Dad?"

Lex was beginning to enjoy himself now. Clark always pulled his punches just short of his mark, but young Miss Sullivan was willing to go toe-to-toe with him.

"Clark’s not here right now talking to me." Lex said, looking her straight in the eye. "You are."

"Clark and Pete don’t know I’m here." She said, glancing away briefly. "It hasn’t gotten around yet about the problems with your Dad and the Judge."

"You are a very resourceful young woman." He said, nodding in admiration. "And you came straight to me, hoping the son will undermine the Father and conquer for the good of all Smallville citizens, is that it?"

"You pulled it off before." She said. "I was hoping that lightning could strike twice."

"Now you go from challenging my power as a business man, to flattery." He gave her a charming smile. "I should offer you a job."

"I’d turn you down." She said, then added, "To be completely honest."

"I’ll bet you would turn me down." He said quietly. He regarded her for a few moments. Chloe began to feel uncomfortable under his gaze but stopped herself from fidgeting.

"It’s nothing personal." She said.

"It’s business."

"Yeah, business." The desk seemed to shrink, and Chloe felt like she was far to close to Lex for comfort. Then he spoke.

"Suppose for a moment that I’d be able to change my father’s mind about Judge Ross." He saw her expression turn to one of hope. "What would I get in return?" She looked surprised and a little confused.

"I’d be happy to do some positive articles on the good things that Lexcorp has done for-"

"Not enough." He interrupted; his voice had a slight edge to it. "You have no idea, Miss Sullivan, what something like this will cost me."

"What do you want then?" She asked. "I thought you were joking about the job thing."

"I was, at least for now." He said. "Right now I need your word that nothing we discuss here today or do in connection with this problem your friend is having will be repeated to another person." Chloe narrowed her eyes and thought about it.

"Agreed, but it goes both ways."

Lex nodded, and then he regarded her shrewdly. She had no purse with her, and she wasn’t carrying a jacket, but he wanted to be certain she wasn’t trying to trap him.

"Stand up." He ordered, getting up from his own seat and walking around to the desk. She automatically obeyed. Most people did when he told them to do things. He reached her and ran his hands over her back, sides and belly. Chloe jumped back in surprise.

"Watch the hands pal." She said indignantly. Lex didn’t return to his chair but leaned against the edge of his desk in front of her.

"People have worn wires to meetings with me before." He said. "I was just making sure."

"That’s a line I’ve never heard." She said with a raised eyebrow. "But I wasn’t expecting you to cop a feel."

"Then you probably won’t be expecting my asking price for saving Pete’s mother’s job." His tone was all business, and his expression was dead serious.

"My first born child?" She asked. "Do you want me to kill someone? I do have ample trunk space and a shovel, but I'm hardly a professional."

Lex hid his smile.

"If I am able," he began, "to convince my father to drop any and all attempts to unseat Judge Ross," he tilted his head and inclined it slightly, "you come to my bed."

Chloe couldn’t have been more surprised if he actually had asked for her firstborn child. Even when he’d frisked her, he hadn’t been suggestive about it. Her lips parted as they tried to form words but failed.

"You can’t be serious." When she was finally able to speak, the words came out in a whisper.

"I’d never joke about something like that." Lex said. His expression remained calm, and he made no move to touch her. "I change my Father’s mind, and you come to me, in the privacy of my home." The fact that he could be so unemotional about the whole situation was what made her feel like she was in the Twilight Zone.

"I’m not in the habit of selling myself-" Chloe couldn’t finish her sentence.

"No one will know but us." Lex said, quietly.

"Why me?" She asked. "I don’t imagine you have a lot of trouble finding…." She searched for the word.

"Lovers? No I don’t." He said. "But I want you." He smiled a little then. "It’s just one night, and you can pretend we're still barely acquaintances. I’ll go along with it." She would probably hate and fear him. But he knew what her answer would be. She was a loyal friend and would sacrifice herself because she wouldn’t be able to face having the chance to help a friend and turning it down.

"I don’t know if I can." Chloe whispered.

"I’ll give you some time to think about it." Lex said. And he walked to the other side of the room and opened a door leading to a narrow hallway. Chloe sat in stunned silence as he left her alone. Pete hadn’t trusted Lex; it was probably why he hadn’t thought of him as a possible solution. But Pete was her friend, and she loved him, Lionel Luthor wasn’t just starting a campaign to go after his mother’s job, he was trying to run the Ross family out of town.

Chloe knew what went on in the bedroom. She had often thought of what it would be like to make love, but it was usually Clark whom she pictured as her first time. She tried to imagine what it would be like to have Lex touching her intimately, the feel of his hands, the weight of him between her thighs. She shook her head. That she was actually considering the offer proved to her that she was indeed going insane.

Chloe’s thoughts were interrupted when the door to the reception area opened.

"Lex." The voice belonged to Lionel Luthor. He entered the office tapping his cane in front of him. "Are you in here?"

"He’s not here right now." Chloe said, keeping a civil tone despite her dislike of him. She was angry with this him for causing a situation that brought her to this moment.

"To whom am I speaking?" Lionel said, politely but with an imperious edge.

"Chloe Sullivan."

"Oh." He said, nodding his head. "You’re the little girl of one of the foremen here, right?" She affirmed his statement but was thinking that if his son had anything to do with it, she wouldn’t be a little girl anymore. "What may I ask are you doing here in my son’s office." Though the man’s tone was light, there was a malicious curiosity in his expression.

"Chloe is here to conduct some business with me." Lex said, stepping back through the side door. "You’re early for lunch."

"I’ll be in my office." Lionel said, backing out. "Nice to meet you Miss Sullivan."

"Likewise." Chloe gritted out. She didn’t miss the smile on the man’s face before he closed the door.

"Have you thought about my offer?" Lex asked. Chloe was still looking at the door through which the Lionel had left. She hated the thought of Mr. Luthor taking anything else from people she cared about. She could hate herself later, but now was the time for action.

"I have." She said, "And I will accept under certain conditions." She turned back to face him; her face was impassive.

"What conditions?" Lex asked, leaning casually against the doorway.

"First, it has to be done today." Chloe said. "The longer this is drawn out, the more irreparable damage is done to Judge Ross." Lex didn’t answer, so she went on. "Next, you agree that your father will not be letting one person off the hook just to go and close down the Talon or something. I don’t want there to be any revenge taken on anyone because of this." Lex gave a slight nod. "And my family and friends never hear about this. I don’t want any leering or suggestive comments in public either." She shook her head at him. "Like it never happened." Lex didn’t hesitate.

"If your request is granted by six PM tonight, I will call you and make certain that the information is verified. Then you will come to my house at ten where you will deliver your part of the bargain." He held out his hand, "Are we agreed?" Feeling the blood drain from her face, Chloe reached forward and shook his hand. "Then if you’ll excuse me I have work to do. And be prepared to spend the night." Chloe needed no other urging. She practically flew from the office and out of the building. She didn’t notice Lionel Luthor sitting in the reception area.

"How did that young lady look?" He asked Lex’s assistant.

"A little upset." Jane answered. "She was angry when she came in." Lex emerged a moment later. He was not surprised to see his father waiting for him.

"Ready?" he asked.

"I wouldn’t miss lunch with my son on his birthday." He said, standing and reaching for his son’s arm. "Have you though of what you want for your birthday wish this year?"

"As a matter of fact, I have." Lex said, leading the way to the elevators. Since he’d been ten years old. His father had granted him one birthday wish each year. If it was in Lionel Luthor’s power to do, he did it. There were no parties, no brightly wrapped presents, no balloons, and certainly no cakes; just the wish. This year, Lex knew exactly what he wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chloe drove back to the school in silence; she had left during her lunch break and would now be missing her study hall. She walked in late, but offered no excuse. She glanced around her at the other students and the desks that suddenly seemed so small. She felt numb, as if everything had changed; she no longer felt like one of them. She felt like a whore, she was giving up her body to rescue her friend’s mother. And no one would ever know what she’d sacrificed. She shook her head. He probably couldn’t do it. There was little anyone could do to change Lionel Luthor’s mind once he’d decided to do something.

After her classes finished for the day, she went up to the newspaper office and tried to do some work. She sat in front of her computer and stared at the empty screen.

"Hey." A voice startled Chloe out of her trance. It was Clark. His perfect lips curved into a smile automatically. He never thought about his expressions, or put on a poker face, there was no great mystery to Clark Kent; for all of his secrets, he wore his heart on his sleeve, it shined out of him for everyone to see. But right now not even that light could warm her. And he could tell. "Chloe what’s wrong?" He asked, concern darkening his features. She wanted to tell him about what his best friend had asked her to do, but she wouldn’t be able to stand the look in his eyes when she told him that she’d agreed. And besides, she gave her word. And she still had her ethics…. somewhere.

"It’s nothing." She said. I guess I’m tired." She stood and picked up her jacket. "I’m not feeling very well, I think I’ll go home and go to sleep." Clark looked worried.

"You do look a little pale." He said, brushing the back of his fingers across her forehead. "Maybe rest is the best thing." Chloe nodded and picked up her purse. "I’ll call you tonight and check in if that’s okay."

"Actually I think I’ll be down for the count so I’ll just see you tomorrow if I’m feeling better." She reached the doorway and was nearly knocked over by Pete as the young man bounded into the office.

"You’ll never guess what just happened." He said excitedly. Chloe’s heart both rose and sank as she anticipated his news.

"What?" Clark asked.

"Mr. Luthor dropped the inquiry and his lawyers informed my mother that she is no longer being investigated by the legal board." He grabbed Chloe by the waist and swung her around before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"That’s great." Clark said, slapping Pete on the shoulder. Chloe smiled and nodded but couldn’t speak. She looked at her watch, it was only four twenty. She hugged Pete and stepped back when he put her down. She brushed away a tear that slipped out of her eye. She cared so much about him, and he would never know how much. She slipped away and headed home. When she arrived, she walked in through her kitchen and greeted her dad.

"Hi sweetheart." Her father said, "You’re home early."

"I have some studying to do tonight so I wanted to get some rest now, I may be up late at the office." The lie slipped out so easily, it surprised even her. "I’ll need some of the resources there and I’ll probably go to Lana’s afterward if that’s okay."

"Sure." He said, he was used to his daughter working hard to meet deadlines. Just keep your cell with you and leave a note when you leave." Chloe Sullivan was probably the only girl her age in Smallville who was choosing to work on a Friday night. She went upstairs to her room and immediately started packing away some of her stuffed animals. They were kids’ toys. She was feeling very old all of a sudden. They looked out of place in her room.

Chloe took a shower after bringing a few boxes of old things up to the attic and was just toweling off her hair when her cell phone rang. She stared at it till it rang a third time; then she answered.

"Do you have verification yet?" Lex’s voice was not smug, but it held a note of confidence."

"Yes." She answered, "Pete told me."

"Do I need to send a car for you?" he asked. The implied threat was there. Her dad would have a lot of questions about a limo arriving for his daughter.

"No, I’ll be there at ten."

"Good, I’ll expect you then." He paused, "And Chloe,"

"Yes?"

"Wear something white." Lex broke the connection and left Chloe holding the phone stupidly in her hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drive to Lex’s mansion was the longest of Chloe’s life. When she pulled into the driveway, she looked at the stately home and wondered how Lex didn’t feel lost there. She turned off the ignition and glanced at herself in the mirror. She had no idea why she’d taken the time to doll herself up. It probably wouldn't matter since guys usually needed only a warm body. As long as he knew he could have her, he probably didn’t care how good she looked. The truth was, she didn’t want to give him anything to criticize. Wishing herself luck, she stepped out of the car and tossed her cell phone, with the power off, onto the front seat. Her dad would assume she was on the phone and leave a message. She would call home as soon as she was finished.

Chloe caught herself. Finished. When Lex was finished with her. She wouldn’t stay the night; she would only stay till she…delivered her part of the bargain. She hated feeling like an indentured servant. Here she was driving to a man’s house for little more than a "booty call". Lex had been with plenty of women. She’d heard Lana’s story about him skinny-dipping with some woman when he was a teenager. She doubted that he would feel as awkward as she did. He probably blackmailed women into having sex all the time. In fact, she told herself, he probably deflowered virgins as a hobby. She knew she was trying to make herself angry. It would combat the fear and trepidation she felt as she walked up the front steps.

The front door was open just a crack, Chloe pushed it open slowly. There was a note on the floor with a single white rose on top of it. She ignored the lovely flower and read the note. It was short: "Walk up the main staircase and to the left. Last room." She took a deep breath and moved into the foyer. Her little heels made a guilty clicking sound on the marble floor as she approached the staircase. It was broad and beautiful like everything in the house. Though there were plenty of chandeliers and lamps around, Chloe doubted that there were enough light bulbs in the world capable of dispelling the dark gloominess that the Luthor mansion held. She held the handrail and used it for support, feeling her knees go slightly weak. She paused a moment and garnered her courage before she reached the top of the stairs.

To Chloe’s right was a study, she could see a pair of legs sitting in a chair through the half-open door. There was muffled music coming from inside. She turned left quickly, not needing to guess who was sitting there. She walked down the long hallway; at the end there were large, oak double doors that nearly reached the high ceilings. One stood ajar; as she approached she could see into the master bedroom. There was music playing here too. It was the same song from the study, but clearer, she didn’t recognize it.

"What’s happening?" Lionel asked his butler, Jacob. "What is Miss Sullivan wearing?"

"Right now she is wearing a long coat." The man replied. " She did not take the rose that young Mr. Luthor left for her."

"Maybe she isn’t charmed by my son." Lionel said, his face an expression of greedy curiosity. Jacob turned back to the monitor from which they could both hear the music that Lex was playing in his room at the far end of the wing. They could also see, from the security camera in the hallway, into his bedroom. "How much can you see of the room?"

"I can see over to the fireplace and I can see part of the bed reflected in the mirror." He stopped and leaned closer. "Miss Sullivan has just arrived."

Chloe reached out a hand and knocked softly on the partially open door. She was unaware that her movements were being observed and reported.

"Come in." Lex’s voice came from somewhere off to the left. She walked in and looked around. She wasn’t surprised to see that most of the décor was black or dark gray. The room had a dark stone floor covered in places by large rugs. The dominant fixture was the giant four poster bed that rested in the middle of the room near a tall set of windows. The covers and sheets, black of course, were already turned down. She was startled to hear Lex’s voice again by her elbow. "You didn’t like the rose?" He asked.

Chloe whipped around, she’d been so busy looking at the room that she had forgotten about the occupant. He was wearing his traditional black in the form of silk pajama pants and a snug t-shirt. His feet were bare, which was probably why he had been able to sneak up on her. She raised her eyes to his and stared at him before answering.

"I'm quite fond of roses, but I won’t be accepting any gifts or gestures from you, Lex." He raised an eyebrow. "I wouldn’t want you to get any ideas about what happens after tonight."

"And what, may I ask, do you think will be happening after tonight?" His voice was smooth and quiet, but Chloe didn't miss the slight edge to it.

"Absolutely nothing." She raised her chin. "After tonight, when you see me with Clark, walk the other way."

"A little late for terms and demands." He said, turning away from her and walking to a small table on which was sitting a bottle of champagne and a pair of crystal flutes.

"A little late for wine and roses." She snapped back. Lex paused, but didn’t turn around to face her.

"Perhaps you're right, nevertheless, we do things my way in here." The statement was made in the same quiet voice that carried for leagues. There was finality in it, no room for argument. Chloe believed that he was probably a whiz around the business table; which brought another question to her lips.

"How did you do it?" She asked. "How did you get your father to change his mind in a few hours?"

"Actually." Lex said, pouring two glasses of champagne, "it only took two minutes to change his mind. The rest of the time was spent with the lawyers."

"Two minutes?" She gasped. "Then why do you need something this big in return?"

"I don’t need you, Chloe." He said turning toward her, glasses in hand. "I want you." He walked toward her with the fluid grace of a feline. "And you have no idea what I sacrificed in order to get you." His eyes were dark and serious.

"Tell me." She said, her voice shaking a little. She was nervous and more than a little afraid of what lay ahead of her.

"It’s my birthday." He said, "And your request was put forth as my present." Then he explained to a very shocked Chloe about the birthday wishes he’d been granted since he was young. He didn’t tell her what some of them had been though. He’d save that for later. Right now, she needed to be afraid; the best way to accomplish that was to let her wonder. He offered her a glass of champagne.

"I’m underage." She said simply. He shrugged and stepped away from her. Then he drained his glass before hurling it against the wall. Chloe let out a yelp and jumped back in surprise. She wondered if her sounds of distress would bring help from anyone. She doubted it since Lex was making little effort to be quiet. He drained the glass he’d offered her and then it too was shattered with its brother. He walked toward her.

"Take off your coat." He demanded. "I want to see you." With trembling fingers, Chloe unfastened the belt to her jacket and let it slide to the floor. She wasn’t used to deliberately displaying herself to anyone in quite this fashion. She could feel the heat of his gaze. Lex admired the flowing, knee-length dress she wore. "I like you in white." He said, taking the coat from the floor; he walked away to hang it up. Then he returned to where she was standing near the door. She glanced behind her at the hallway. As if reading her thoughts, he said, "Don’t even think about running." He smiled a humorless smile. "I’d be on you before you reached the stairs."

"And then what?" Chloe whispered before she could stop herself. Lex leaned in close to her ear.

"I’d drag you back to the bed." She felt his breath on her skin. "Kicking and screaming if necessary." Icy fear crept up Chloe’s spine as he walked around her, inspecting her carefully. "You came to me willingly by all accounts; no one would believe you if you told them anything else." He leaned close, and dropped his voice to a whisper. "It will be so much easier if you don’t make me take." He brushed his lips against the back of her neck and then her other ear. "I can make it highly enjoyable if you... give."

"He is whispering to her." Jacob said, his eyes were glued to the screen. "He is kissing her neck and she looks distressed."

"Funny," Lionel said, "He didn’t seem the type."

"It’s cold in here." Chloe said, trying to think of a way to distract him. It worked temporarily as he walked to the fireplace and flipped a switch. A cheery fire immediately roared to life and began crackling away. "I take it that kindling and matches are a bit tedious for you?" She said, dryly, trying to bolster her courage with a mild barb.

"Not when I’m camping, but when they have to be cleaned out of a gas burner they tend to become annoying." He replied, taking some of the wind out of her sails. "But not as tedious as this banter." He walked across what looked like a polar bear rug with a gleam in his eye. "Normally I would enjoy trading insults with an intelligent woman such as yourself." He said. "But right now I can think of a better use for your pretty mouth."

Lex had no sooner spoken the words than he had grasped her roughly by the shoulders and pulled her forward for a bruising kiss. Gone was the calm, controlled businessman. In his place was now a stranger. Chloe instinctively pushed away from him. His fingers were caught on the strap to her dress, which snapped as he jerked her forward again. His lips moved over hers with a hunger that was very different from the shy awkwardness that she had been kissed with in the past. This was no highschool boy. His tongue swept inside her mouth and stroked against hers. Then his mouth moved down her neck where he placed kisses and bites, some gentle, some not so gentle. It was too fast. Her mind was whirling to keep up with all of the things she was feeling. Fear was foremost. She tried to push him away, she needed more time, but his arms were tight around her.

"Lex, stop." Chloe pleaded, her voice edged with panic. His only answer was to scoop her up off her feet and carry her to the side of the bed where he dropped her into the center of the mattress. She bounced and tried to scramble backward but he grabbed her ankle and hauled her back. He straddled her hips and pinned her arms above her head. He smiled at her, his expression looked almost regretful, then leaned down to give her neck and collarbone a few leisurely kisses.

"We had an agreement." He said, his lips moving along her tender flesh. "You can’t say no."

"Doesn’t mean I can’t criticize your methods." She said, struggling to free her arms. "I didn’t come here to be…" She couldn’t bring herself to say what she was afraid of.

"Ravished by the monster?" He asked, casually. "I thought that’s exactly what you came here for." He grasped both her tiny wrists in one hand and stroked his other over her breast. She thrashed harder. He pushed one of his knees between her thighs and rubbed his erection against her belly. Chloe froze. Lex knew from her expression that this was completely new territory for her. And she was terrified. He paused, looking into her face; then he reared up and stripped off his t-shirt revealing a lean muscular chest.

Chloe took the opportunity and shoved him backwards. Deal or no deal; her feet did the deciding and her instinct to flee outweighed anything else. She shot across the room and had barely made it to the door when an iron arm snaked around her waist and a hand clamped over her mouth. Lex lifted her and spun in one quick movement kicking the door shut. He turned completely around and pressed her against the door. His chest,against her back, sandwiched her there. Her cheek was flat against the heavy oak, the only sounds she could hear were the patter made by her own heart, and the heavy breathing of Lex behind her. She closed her eyes in defeat and waited for the swift and doubtless brutal violation that was surely about to come. Then seconds passed and he didn’t move. She could still feel his erection prodding her in the backside, but he made no move at all. She tried to turn her head.

"Shh, don’t move yet." He said. He was listening through the door. He could hear someone walking down the hallway. "When I take away my hand," he whispered, backing up toward the center of the room, Chloe’s feet dangling a few inches above the floor, "say ‘stop’ like you did before. Do you understand?" She didn’t really understand but she nodded. He fell sideways with her on the bed, and took his hand away as they hit the mattress.

"Stop, Lex," she cried, "please." her adrenaline making her voice shrill. He covered her mouth again with his hand and rolled with her, grunting loudly as he struck the mattress with his elbow. Anyone listening from outside, Chloe realized would think that he was forcing himself on her. She stopped trying to pull away from him and he released her, standing up. He flung the comforter to the floor and tossed a few pillows as well. Then he used a remote near the bed to turn the music up. He reached for her again. She flinched slightly.

"Give me your shoe." Chloe automatically obeyed, holding up her leg. Lex removed the dainty sandal and snapped off the heel, tossing it over near the door and the broken glass. Then he gently replaced it on her foot. He was slightly out of breath.

"What just happened?" She asked, her throat dry. Lex didn’t look her in the eye.

"We’ll wait a bit then you can go home." He said, casually knocking a lamp off the nightstand onto the floor. He glanced at her stunned incredulous expression. "Unless you’d like to stay and finish what we started?" Still wide eyed, Chloe shook her head.

"What is going on, Lex?"

"You gave your word that what happened here tonight would remain between us." He said, sitting down beside her. "My father had someone watching us on the security cameras in the hallway. I had to let him see the earlier stuff before I shut the door."

"You wanted your father to think you’re…a criminal?"

"I already am for making the deal." He shrugged, "My father would think me weak for using my wish just to save Judge Ross, you know how the Ross’s hate him."

"That’s putting it mildly."

"If he thought I had a dark ulterior motive for doing it, he would understand it. If this was my motive," he said, gesturing to the bed and Chloe, "he’d understand. Hell, if he thinks I’m blackmailing virgins into performing humiliating sexual acts for the sheer enjoyment, he’d respect it."

"So why make it look like you were going to…" she paused again, "force me?" She was still shaky from the adrenaline rush of fighting Lex’s "advances". Lex laughed harshly.

"He wouldn’t see it that way, he’d see it as me collecting a debt owed." He shook his head. "As long as you don’t press charges he has no problem."

"Why didn’t you tell me?" She asked. "I might have gone along with it."

"You haven’t had as much experience in deception as I have." He replied. "If he detected the least amount of trust between us, he’d have been suspicious."

"But he’s blind."

"Doesn’t matter."

"Could you hear anything?" Lionel asked as Jacob returned to the study.

"No sir, he turned up the music."

"He’d better know what he’s doing."

"When should I go?" Chloe asked. Lex chuckled a little. He was reclining next to her on the bed.

"Wait a little longer." He said, "Make me look good." Chloe nodded, blushing slightly when she caught his meaning. Then a thought occurred to her.

"About our bargain." She said, chewing her lower lip nervously.

"If you listened carefully," Lex said, brushing a stray strand of hair from her face, "you fulfilled it." When she looked confused, he explained. "I asked you to come to my bed, you did, technically." He patted the space between them on the mattress. Chloe covered her face with her hands and groaned in dismay.

"I can’t believe I didn’t catch that."

"You were probably too horrified at the thought of sleeping with a stranger to think of anything else."

"You’re not really a stranger." She said automatically. "And now, oddly enough, I think I know you better." Lex leaned back on the bed and wiggled his eyebrows lasciviously.

"In that case…"

"I didn’t mean-" He was laughing at her.

"You are too amusing Chloe." He said with a grin. "You’re so paranoid." She frowned at him. Then he tilted his head and looked at her thoughtfully. "You are also an incredibly loyal friend to make a sacrifice for someone you care about." He reached out a finger and gently traced the line of her jaw. "I wonder what kind of man Pete is to deserve that kind of devotion." She caught his implication.

"Pete’s just a friend." She said, "Believe it or not I’d do a lot to help the people who are important to me."

"How many?" He teased, giving her a devilish grin. She gave him one of her own.

"You’d need to buy stock in Viagra." Lex laughed heartily at this. He was still smiling when he got up and went to the coat rack, he fetched her trenchcoat and walked back toward the bed. He had a thoughtful expression on his face as he looked down at her.

"I wonder if I’ll ever be the kind of man who would deserve that kind of loyalty from you." held her jacket out to her. "You’re free to go."

Chloe took her coat. She decided to wait and put it on in the hallway so that she could be seen by anyone who might be watching, with torn dress and bruised neck where he’d bitten her. As she turned to walk to the door, he put out a hand to stop her. "One thing." He said, and rubbed his thumb across her lips, still swollen from his harsh kisses, he smudged her lipstick off the corner of her mouth and ruffled her hair. His face was expressionless again. Impassive. Chloe took a step back before asking the question that had been plaguing her.

"What would you have asked for if I hadn’t come to you today?"

"I’d have asked him to leave Smallville and never come back." Lex didn’t hesitate with his answer. Chloe wondered if she had done the right thing. Lex hadn’t been lying about the sacrifice he’d made. On an impulse, she closed the distance between them and put a hand behind his neck, then he drew his head down and kissed him softly on the lips.

"Happy birthday." She whispered before turning and rushing out the door.

Lex was startled and pleased by her gesture. He walked to his own set of monitors behind a discreet curtain. He watched as she beautifully executed a hurried, stumbling exit from his house. On her way out the door. She even appeared to be wiping away a few tears. She was quite a woman wrapped in the body of a petite girl. After he watched her headlights retreat down his driveway from his window, he walked to his desk and picked up a small phone. There was still a matter to attend to. He dialed a house extension. After a few rings, a husky voice answered.

"Oui?"

"Be in my chamber in a half-hour, Marie." He said. When she affirmed, he hung up and went into the bathroom. He took a brief shower, Chloe’s smell was still on him and he knew Marie wouldn’t like that. She was very picky about those things. He also needed to give Jacob time to look over the damage he had so carefully arranged, he figured the broken champagne flutes, the heel to Chloe’s sandal and the wreck he’d made of the bed should be convincing. When he got out, he took a few moments to re-arrange the bed and sweep up the broken glass and lamp. A discreet knock sounded off to his left. He opened a panel of the wall hidden by a bookshelf. A slender, dark-haired woman emerged; she wore a red satin kimono.

"Am I on time?" She asked, her French accent soft and alluring. He needed her tonight, needed her to make him stop wanting someone else. He needed to forget about the envy he felt for Pete Ross, Clark, Lana, and all of the people for whom Chloe Sullivan would have come to his bed. But not for herself, she’d told him earlier that she would turn him down. He wasted no words, he untied the belt that closed Marie’s robe and parted the material that separated his itching fingers from her soft flesh. He kissed her and let the robe drop to the floor. She had a beautiful body. All lush curves and a tiny waist, he slid his hands over her, trying to erase the memory of the feel of someone else. He moved his lips to her neck and breasts; she always tasted spicy to him.

Marie arched her back, giving him better access. He devoured her with his lips, clenching his fingers tightly on her shoulders, he pushed her to her knees and shivered when she pressed light kisses to his belly. Lex shut his eyes as her warm mouth closed over him. He ached from the inside and needed release. She licked him expertly, she always knew what he liked, and he hissed as she began to suck. He buried his fingers in her silky hair and guided her head forward and back. He knew she didn’t like it when he did that, but tonight he felt a little bit inconsiderate. He drew her to her feet with a sudden urgency.

Marie let out a little gasp as Lex pushed her forward roughly and she fell on the mattress, sprawled on her belly. He pulled her ankles toward him and slid a hand under her, elevating her buttocks. He covered her with his weight and slid into her hot sheath. She moaned at the invasion. He began to pump himself into her; she matched the rhythm of his thrusts, hard as they were. Reigning in his control, Lex slowed down and slid a finger around to the spot where their bodies joined, Marie gave a small spasm of pleasure and panted heavily. He made sure to bring her to her peak with expert fingers. The spasms within her made him climax. He gritted his teeth and held back the shout that threatened to tear from his throat.

Even in the throes of intense pleasure, so acute it was painful, Lex didn’t forget the moment when he almost didn’t let Chloe go. The moment he considered taking her sweet body in exchange for a birthday wish. He hadn’t, he told himself firmly, as the shudders began to subside and he withdrew from the warm recesses of Marie’s body. He hadn’t done it; a second after the thought occurred to him, he’d made his decision and released her wrists to take off his shirt, giving her a chance to escape. He went back into the bathroom and turned the shower on again, he adjusted the temperature to nearly scalding hot, then stepped beneath the needle-sharp spray. He allowed it to punish his flesh, a kind of penance for what he’d wanted to do. A line from an old movie ran through is head and he repeated it over and over to himself.

"I am not an animal" And he knew it was a lie.

kitten
21st November 2004, 08:57
:blush:

I know I've read this somewhere, but I doubt I reviewed as I was going through my shy on the internet phase.

This is a wonderful recognition of Lex's character and the ways he works around his father to maintain his morality. I like that you've set it in Season 2, the season that Chlex forgot, because it means you can work any lack of contact to the advantage of the ship.

Bravo!

autumngold
21st November 2004, 11:08
This is the most incredible story!! I'm so glad that your posting it here at NS.Net!! It gives me the excuse to read it again!! Post more soon please!! :yay2: :chlexsign1: :yay2:

estrellalily
21st November 2004, 12:58
why is lex so wonderful? is there another, maybe one where they fall in love and have great sex, and then something rally bad happenes to lionel?? just a thought.

loved it :blinkkiss:

~estrellalily

hfce
21st November 2004, 19:00
Oh I remember reading this a long time ago. I loved it then and I love it now. :D

Hope :chlexsign3:

buddyfozzy
21st November 2004, 19:18
I love this! I read it ages ago, but then couldn't find it again. I'm so glad you posted it here! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Maybe a sequel where they get together? Pretty please? :puppyeyes: :puppyeyes:

asharnanae
21st November 2004, 19:47
I have read this over at malu's site, and I have to say it one of my all time faves! :biggrin:

Great writeing! :worship2:

zelda
22nd November 2004, 01:03
I'm making a few small changes to hopefully improve the story, I hope you like them.

Jen1388
22nd November 2004, 01:12
OMG yay! I love this fic! It's so freaky, cause I so wanted to read this the other day, so I went to Chemistry and read it... coincidence that ya posted it huh?:p

It totally rocks, I LOVE the Chlex, and also Clark all protective of Chloe.. how it should be!

So glad ya posted it here!

Kit Merlot
22nd November 2004, 14:55
I adore this story, and I am THRILLED that you have posted it--FABULOUS :biggrin:

FroggyJump
22nd November 2004, 16:25
This is probably my favorite Chlex story and it's nice to see it on the board. Holding my breath to see what your changes will be.

zelda
24th November 2004, 10:35
Author's note: for those of you who've read this before, I wanted to turn the dress into something more for Chloe. Not just a cliche'd gift from a rich man. I also wanted Lex's observation at the end to have a slightly kinkier edge.

Chapter 2: The Gift

Chloe was working on the layout for the current issue of The Torch. The edition was running a little behind schedule. Unless Pete and Clark showed up soon to help she’d have to stay late that evening if she wanted it done by Wednesday. Classes were almost finished and she was working during her free period. Since there were a few clubs that met in the afternoons the school wasn’t going to be empty till much later. She was still waiting on the results for the swim meet that Pete would be bringing in once the team returned.

Concentration on work had been an impossibility for Chloe. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the cause of her preoccupation. She hadn’t been able to forget her evening with Lex Luthor. She hadn’t heard from him since Friday night when she’d left his house in tears with a torn dress and broken shoe. Granted, her appearance was contrived in an effort to make Lionel Luthor believe his son to be a monster; but so many things had happened to send her on an emotional rollercoaster. She rested her forehead on her palm and took long breath, rehashing the events that led to her current turmoil.

First Chloe had found out from Pete Ross that his mother, a local Judge, was in trouble. He had refused to give her any details so she’d called a friend at the courthouse to find out what was happening and discovered that, according to gossip, Lionel Luthor was upset over a ruling she had made against his company and was out for petty revenge. He had started a campaign to smear her credibility and force her out of a job at the same time. She’d taken her lunch break off and on a whim, gone to see Lex at his office. He had been polite but wary on their previous meetings, Clark; however, seemed to trust him implicitly. Chloe had taken the chance that he was the kind of man her best friend thought him to be. He had surprised her first by frisking her in his office, then by offering his outrageous proposition.

Chloe had gone to Lex’s house in a daze. Lex had scared her. He’d been rough and terrifying when he’d manhandled her in his bedroom. She had been helpless to fend off his advances. Then, as quickly as it had begun, he’d stopped and let her go, uninjured but for a few bruises. He had appologized for frightening her and explained the ruse. She believed him.

Gabe Sullivan had been asleep when Chloe had arrived home that night. She had hidden her torn dress and broken shoe in her closet, hoping her Dad wouldn’t see them before she had a chance to dispose of them properly. She'd barely slept, thinkingabout the rough hands, the bruising kisses, then the amicable conversation that had passed between her and the billionaire.

Chloe also thought about the impulsive birthday kiss she'd given him. It hadn't been out of relief that she wouldn't be harmed, or sympathy for the man with the monster for a father. Just a good wish on a birthday to a man who seemed to need one.

Now, Chloe sat at her desk, staring at the computer screen, not reading the words before her. A voice interrupted her thoughts.

"You’ve been staring at that screen for a while now." Said Clark Kent, her best friend and currently the last person she wanted to see. She couldn’t help but avert her gaze with shame, because of the secret she kept from him now.

"I guess I’m a little distracted." She said, shaking her head to clear it. She focused on the layout of the sports page of The Torch.

"Are you still feeling sick?" He asked, a look of concern marring his lovely features. Clark was tall, handsome to the point of near perfection, and disgustingly pure of heart. Chloe had hated to lie to him about why she’d been so off her game on Friday afternoon; but it was easy. Clark was smart enough in a general sense. But he wasn’t clever like Lex. Chloe didn’t think she’d ever be able to get anything past the young business prodigy. Though she didn’t like doing it, Chloe was quite capable of deceiving most of her friends. It came from being creative enough to think up a good story, and realistic enough to not get carried away with it. She had a feeling that Lex would be the kind of man to catch her at it…a lot. It was disturbing and exciting at the same time.

"Yeah." She said abently. "Still feeling funny." It was true. She did have odd feelings about a lot of things. Before Clark could ask her any more, another voice cut in.

"Is there a Chloe Sullivan here?" The voice belonged to a man in a brown delivery uniform. His face was obscured by a beautiful boquet of white roses. In the center of the arrangement was a giant orchid. Forgetting that she wasn’t alone, Chloe rushed forward. She gasped with pure feminine delight. She snatched the card from the center of the arrangement. She opened it and read the note:

"I picked out the orchid for you, but tell the carrier to send the rest of the flowers back." Chloe was confused at first, then it dawned on her to continue the charade with Lex. If he received a refusal of flowers, it would reinforce the impression that she was angry and unforgiving. She plucked the large blossom from the middle and in a regal voice, demanded that the flowers be returned to the sender. The man shrugged before handing her a large white box tied with black satin ribbon.

"My instructions are to leave this here whether you want it or not." He said appologetically. Chloe took the box from him and stared at it. The man turned and left. She set the box down on her desk.

"Care to enlighten me on what just happened?" Clark asked at her elbow. She turned to meet his gaze. Feeling suddenly impulsive, she simply shook her head and picked up her empty water bottle before walking to the bathroom to re-fill it in the sink. She placed the large flower in its temporary vase. It had looked out of place with the cool white roses, anyway. The orchid was a tropical flower that practically breathed warmth. Its exotic fragrance wafted over her gently. It was so…not Smallville. When she returned Clark was still frowning at her.

"Sorry Clark." She said, brushing past him to set the flower on her desk. "I’ve got to get this finished." She sat back at her desk and pretended to look engrossed with the computer screen.

"What’s going on Chlo?" He asked, seriously. "Who were the flowers from? And what’s in the box?" Clark placed a hand on her shoulder. She knew he was worried but she had made a promise not to reveal what had happened between her and Lex.

"I don’t know what’s in the box, but it was sent by someone you don’t know." In a way, both statements were true. She didn’t know what was in the box, though she was dying to find out. And Clark really didn’t know the Lex that Chloe knew. In fact, she was certain that Luthor did everything possible to make sure that Clark never met the man who had spent the evening with her. Clark was waiting expectantly. He wanted her to open the gift. Chloe knew that he’d start thinking she had been replaced with a pod person if she didn’t open it soon. Her well-known curiosity was coming back to haunt her. She was itching to know what Lex had sent. She just prayed it wasn’t something intimate or something that somehow identified him as the sender.

Chloe stalled for time by asking him if he could catch the art teacher before she left for the day and set up an interview for the next issue regarding the upcoming student gallery opening. He narrowed his eyes at her but did her bidding. She barely breathed as she examined the box carefully. There was nothing to indicate the store or even the city from which it had come. She picked it up and shook it, it wasn’t too heavy considering its size. Then she regarded the orchid. It had three, smooth, pointed petals jutting out to frame two larger petals that had a ruffled appearance, and beneath them, lay the cup of the flower. The edges were a pale peachy pink. It lay shaped like an inverted heart with the deepest color in its center, the shade reminded Chloe of a blush, the shape reminded her of-

"Oh my God it looks like a….a…" She felt the heat rise to her face as the innately sexual appearance of the little flower revealed itself.

"Like a what?" Clark asked, walking back into the room. Horrified, she just shook her head. Not wanting him to look at the flower, she reached for the box sitting in front of her. Clark hitched a hip onto the corner of the desk.

With slightly trembling fingers, Chloe untied the ribbon and lifted off the top. There were a few sheets of tissue paper inside that she unfolded to reveal a smaller box and a pile of delicate white fabric. She opened the box first. Inside lay a pair of white, silk sling-back shoes; silk? They had to be the most impractical shoes ever created. She was almost drooling over the slender heels and seductively curved arches.

"Shoes, Hmmm." Was all Clark said; Chloe was relieved that he had grown up on a farm; and that he had a penis. It meant that he had a natural aversion to women’s footwear. Either Lex had a fetish, or he had received help in picking out the exquisite footwear. Tearing her gaze from the new treasures, she reached into the bottom of the larger box. She pulled out a dress. No, it was a gown. It was a sleek, satin sheath that would fall to her knees in the front and just below her knees in the back. It had thin straps and a draped cowl neck. Her skin tingled, she could almost feel the dress wrapped around her body. She held it up to her shoulders and automatically turned to Clark.

"What do you think?" She asked. His brows raised appreciatively and he whistled his approval; but the vocal opinion came from the door.

"Damn! Sexy dress, Chloe." Pete said, walking into the room. "Where’d you buy something that fine?"

"It was just delivered along with some flowers." Clark said with an innocent smile on his face. "From a friend." It had the desired effect.

"Who’s going around giving you gifts like this?" Pete asked, placing his spiral-bound steno pad on his desk. Chloe blushed and stammered out the first explanation that came to her mind.

"From an old friend in Metropolis." Before the two young men could interrogate her further, Lana entered and gave Chloe a little time to think up a believeable lie. The dark-haired girl openly admired the gown and gasped over the shoes. She complimented Chloe’s taste in clothes. Before any more could be said about the gifts, she stuck them back into the box and put on a resolved expression telling the group that they all needed to pitch in so that this week’s issue would be on time. This was only a temporary break in the questions she knew from the look that Clark gave her from his computer as he re-worked his piece on the current events to include the opening of a new hardware store in downtown Smallville.

Lex was sitting in his office when the flowers were delivered. He hid his smile under a mask of confusuion.

"The flowers weren’t supposed to come here." He said, using an irritated tone.

"Sorry, sir." The man said appologetically. "Miss Sullivan demanded that they be returned to the sender."

"Demanded?" Lex heard his father’s voice from the hallway. He stepped into view. "Why would any woman deny a gift?" Then he paused. "Do I smell roses?"

"Throw them in the garbage." Lex told the man holding the fabulous flower arrangement. He pointed to the trash bin next to his desk. Thinking that this was the weirdest delivery he’d ever made, the man dumped the flowers and quickly took his leave.

"Sorry son," Lionel said, his tone implying that he was not sorry at all, "does your friend have something against roses?"

"What do you want?" Lex snapped.

"Only to make sure you know what you’re doing." The older Luthor’s comment told Lex that his father was letting him know that he didn’t want any legal hassles as a fall out for whatever happened between his son and Chloe Sullivan. Certainly having a son being arrested and tried for rape would be inconvenient for Lionel. Lex waited till his father left the office before leaving, himself, to take a drive downtown.

The group at The Torch was trying to decide where to go for their traditional post-paper pizza when Pete started looking closely at the orchid sitting on her desk. Lana stepped forward and touched one of the petals gently.

"It looks like a Hawaiian Serendipity." She said. Of course, Lana knew what it was; she had grown up around flowers.

"Really?" Chloe said, with exaggerated nonchalance. "It’s pretty." She picked up the box containing the dress and shoes and reached for the flower. Pete picked it up and offered to carry it for her. She wondered if he had made the same observations about the blossom as she had.

"So why did you send back the roses?" Clark asked. Lana and Pete stopped and looked at her in surprise. "Yeah," he continued, "The orchid came in a giant boquet of white roses with the dress and shoes, Chloe read the card, grabbed the orchid and told the delivery guy to return the roses to the sender." Now Chloe had their full attention.

"You refused roses?" Lana asked.

"But you accepted the sexy dress and shoes?" Pete chimed in. Clark butted in with a smirk that told her she should have fessed up to him when she had the chance.

"She couldn’t have refused the dress because the delivery guy was under strict orders to leave it with her no matter what she said." Oh boy. This was going to be difficult to explain. Her friends were all looking at her with unashamed curiosity on their faces. Chloe knew how a deer caught in headlights felt.

"Nice orchid, Miss Sullivan. What’s the occasion?" They all turned to look at the newcomer. Lex Luthor lounged against the doorframe. His hands were in his pockets and he looked completely at ease. A bemused smile touched the corners of her mouth. Chloe was hit with inspiration.

"Someone I know from Metropolis sent the flower and a dress." She said.

"And shoes." Lana added. Chloe relaxed a little and smiled sweetly at Lex.

" The last time I saw him, I broke the heel of my shoe and tore my dress. I was so upset when it happened that he must have felt bad for me and replaced it."

"How do you know this guy?" Pete asked, he was looking at the orchid again, very closely.

"Through my Dad and some mutual acquaintances." She said, meeting Lex’s gaze evenly. Apparently satisfied, Clark invited his friend to have pizza with them downtown. He accepted and offered to help Chloe carry her laptop. She nodded and pasted a smile on her face. As they walked to the parking lot, Lex leaned close to her ear.

"I meant for you to open the box alone." He whispered to her.

"Then why did you have it delivered to me at the Talon office?" She hissed back. "You try rejecting roses and receiving a large mysterious box in the presence of Clark Kent and think up a way to not open it!" She’d dodged a bullet this time but just barely.

"Pete seems really into that orchid." Lex remarked, watching the other young man curiously.

"That’s what happens when you choose to expose teenage boys to flowers that look like a woman's-." She stopped speaking and quickened her pace. She heard Lex chuckling softly behind her.

Chloe involved herself in conversation at the pizza parlor by asking Lana about Hawaiian flowers and their symbolic meanings. The only thing the other girl could tell her was that they were usually given by higher-end clients and often to young women who were not their wives. Chloe choked on her coffee and gained a few stares from Clark and Pete. Lex had already been looking at her. She had never thought of Lana as the kind of person to be in posession of this kind of information.

"So who sends orchids these days?" Chloe asked, her reporter’s intincts clicking on. Thought she usually steered away from gossip columns, this kind of info was good to know. Lana smiled slyly.

"Nell does a lot of business for some of the surrounding towns because we grow a lot of flowers in the greenhouses that usually have to be imported." Chloe was practically salivating.

"Anyone I know?"

"Depends on how many lawyers and bankers you know." Before she could inquire anymore. Their pizzas arrived and most of the conversations stopped.

Pete, despite his normal animosity toward Lex, was fairly civil. Chloe started to engage him in conversation about the swim meet but he wanted to know why she would send back such a nice gesture as the roses obviously were.

"It’s weird to take the orchid and send back the roses." He said.

"It’s kind of an inside joke." Chloe said, by way of explanation. "I know he’s probably got someone he can give them to, and he was expecting me to send them back."

"What about the orchid?" Pete prodded.

"That was for me." She said softly. She caught Lex watching her from the corner or her eye. "He knew it was much more my style."

"I wanna know where you’ll be wearing that dress." Lana cut in with a smile. "And the shoes." She rolled her dark eyes dreamily. "Those killer shoes."

"What is it with girls and shoes?" Clark looked perplexed and turned to Lex. "Have you figured it out yet?"

"Uh, no." He replied shaking his head. "I just know that thirty pairs are not enough."

"Apparently that’s the way to a woman’s heart." Clark continued. "Just give them shoes."

"No!" Chloe and Lana said together. Chuckling, Lana explained that just giving shoes was not a good idea. The shoes have to be perfect.

"Then how did this guy know exactly what to get?" Lex asked with exaggerated curiosity. "How did he know which shoes would be perfect for the dainty foot of his admired… friend?" He had a big smile on his face.

Chloe pasted on an innocent expression and looked him directly in the eye.

"Because he’s gay." That statement wiped the smile from the billionaire’s face. "Yup," she continued, "everyone knows that only a gay man knows how to pick out a decent pair of shoes for a woman." She shrugged, "Either that, or he has a foot fetish and does nothing but think about women’s feet all day." Lana laughed at the last comment. Lex did not look amused.

"Still," he said, "It’s a rather intimate gift, don’t you think?" he asked the group. Then he added, "not to mention that orchid." He leaned toward Clark and Pete; "You know what they look like." He said in a loud whisper. Pete nodded immediately and Clark stared at the orchid that sat innocently on the table. Chloe wanted to kick herself for not leaving it in the car. She’d been afraid that it would tip over. Clark examined it closely, his eyebrows came together in concentration till Pete and Lex both leaned over and each whispered into one of his ears. He blushed bright pink and wouldn’t look at the orchid again. Chloe was mortified. She looked at Lana who just shrugged.

"I work with them." She said, "I know what they look like. That’s the reason men send them to their mistresses."

It was Lex’s turn to choke. He didn’t dare to look Chloe in the eye. While it was true that he’d sent the orchid because it was a very sensual flower, he hadn’t meant for it to be an insult or an invitation. He’d wanted to express, in some small way, his appreciation for what she had done. That didn’t cover it completely. He sent the gown and shoes to replace the ones he’d damaged, and the roses were a selfish gesture. He didn’t want her to keep them; he’d wanted to use her again to keep up appearances by sending them back. Roses were unworthy of her, he knew that from her refusal of the rose he’d left for her at his house. The orchid was a more personal gesture. The presence of the exotic flower surrounded by the beautiful, yet cool and clichéd roses expressed how he saw her. She stood out as something unique and wild. She was out of place in a high school surrounded by shallow teenagers. Her beauty was something to be appreciated by studying its details.

In short, there was no comparison between roses and orchids, the same way Chloe was incomparable to other women. Lex spared her a glance. She wasn’t looking at him. Her eyes were downcast and she looked slightly troubled. Clark and Pete were now fully engrossed in a discussion with Lana about the sexual inuendos that other flowers had. He reached out to brush her hand with his finger tips. She shot him a warning look. He could see a wall going up between them. He knew how foolish it was to be seen in public with her now, and she deserved better than to be used as a pawn in his games with his father. If he were smart, he’d let her go.

"I’m really beat." Chloe said, standing and grabbing her purse. She tossed down a few dollars to cover her share of the pizza and her cappuccino. Lex started to stand up but Clark leapt to his feet and offered to walk her to her car. Lex set his jaw and let her walk out without following her.

"So what’s going on, really?" Clark asked, once he and Chloe were alone. She carried her purse and laptop; he carried the orchid. She had left the gown and shoes in her car.

"What do you mean?"

"Did something happen this weekend?" He stopped and put a hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him. "You’ve been distracted since Friday." Chloe tried to smile, but her emotions battled beneath the surface. Clark could see this. She never thought she'd wish for one of his oblivious moments.

"Don’t be silly, Clark." She said, the strain in her voice was evident. She let the smile drop from her face and said, with all honesty, "I really need to get some rest."

"Did what Lex said make you uncomfortable?" He asked. I know you two don’t always get along." She paused slightly and chewed her lip thoughtfully. She considered telling him, for the briefest moment. Instead she took the flower and tossed her purse and laptop onto the passenger seat.

"Goodnight." Chloe said, giving him an impulsive hug. "Thanks for worrying." Then she slid into the front seat and turned on the ignition. As she pulled away from the curb, she glanced at the pizzeria and saw Lex looking out the window at her. She returned her gaze to the road and drove home. She walked in through the kitchen in order to avoid her father’s questions about the boxes and the flower. She called out a greeting to the livingroom where she could hear a football game. She heard a reply and continued up the stairs. She took a shower and changed into her pajamas.

On a whim, Chloe padded down to the kitchen and dug out a slender vase from the back of the cupboard. She filled it with water and brought it back to her room. She set the magnificent orchid in its new home and placed it on her bureau. She looked at it and thought about the turn that the discussion had taken at the pizzeria.

Lex's gesture had been flattering at first. It wasn’t the replacement of the clothes he’d damaged, or even that he’d sent her a flower; it was the fact that he’d picked out that particular blossom especially for her. She cursed herself for a fool. The idea that he thought her to be as exotic and sensual as the orchid had carried her away. Of course he thought of her as something sexual. He’d practially been having sex with her a few days before.

Rising from the bed with a sigh, Chloe opened the box containing the newest and doubtless the most expensive additions to her wardrobe. Lana was right to wonder where she’d be wearing such an ensemble. It wasn’t like she could wear it out to the movies or to church. She didn’t go out on many dates these days, and when she did go out, jeans tended to be the dress code for the places that attendees of Smallville High School were likely to take her. Still, it was a beautiful dress. There could be little harm in trying it on now. She was probably the only person to see the dress.

Stripping off her pajamas, Chloe stood naked in her room, holding the gown up to herself again. then she lifted her arms and slipped the dress over her head. The cool fabric gave her goosebumps and tightened her nipples as it ran over them. She stepped into the shoes and smoothed her hands over her hips. The bias cut of the material flattered her figure and the cowl neck showed off her collarbone. She looked in the mirror and smiled. Then, she snatched the orchid out of the vase and fastened it behind her ear with a small clip. It was perfect. The dress, the shoes, and the flower, which added just a hint of color to the virginal white gown.

Without any undergarments, the true genius of the dress became evident. It was meant to be worn this way. The satin wasn't transparent, that would be too trashy, but each cleverly cut seam and drape pulled against Chloe's body in all the right places. Her breasts were hugged on the sides and she could see her nipples standing out one moment, while they disappeared in the draped cowl neck the next. Her slender waist was nipped gently and she could see the indentation of her navel and the slightest swelling of her belly beneath it.

Chloe had always hated not having a completely flat stomach, but she knew that the small, soft mound was meant to remain on a woman's body to protect her reproductive system. Now, it was accentuated along with the indentation below it that led to her pubic mound. The slight widening of the skirt left this area to the imagination.

Chloe turned in the mirror and blushed, no garment she'd ever owned, no matter how skimpy, had made her feel quite as sensual; quite as womanly, as this one did.

From across the street, Lex watched Chloe through her window. He used a monocular to get a closer look at her. He had been tempted to climb a tree to see her fully when she'd been standing naked, holding the dress in front of her. He'd only caught the quickest, glorious, glimps of her breasts before they's disappeared under the gown. But it had been worth it.

The expression on Chloe's face had done the most damage to Lex's self-control. She'd been looking into the mirror and all of the stern lines that usually creased between her eyebrows and around her mouth had smoothed away. Her lips parted in a sigh that he imagined he could hear as she saw herself in the dress.

The flower was in her hair; its blushing pink color was well suited to her fair skin and hair. Without make-up or jewelry, or undergarments for that matter, she still exuded a radiance that shined out of her. He secretly hoped that she would only wear the dress in private. Even though he, himself couldn’t see her fully, he wanted no other man to get the full effect. He drove home thinking about her and how he might approach her safely away from his father’s prying eyes. He was determined now not to let any of his family’s deceptions get in the way of his relationship with her.

Blackberry
24th November 2004, 11:09
meow..... ;)

still love the 'gay' comment lol ^_^

BB

estrellalily
24th November 2004, 13:21
ahhhh, what a nice chapter. more please!

:blinkkiss:
~estrellalily

autumngold
24th November 2004, 19:09
:clap: :sunny: :clap: I love Lex spying on Chloe!! His presents to Chloe are excellent too!! :balloon: Even though I thought your story was perfect before I'm really enjoying the changes!! :worship2: Thanks for the update!! Post again soon please!! :wave: :chlexsign3: :wave:

buddyfozzy
24th November 2004, 20:28
Oh wow, that was so great! I loved Lex's gifts, and the ending with him watching her. Wonderful update! :yay: :worship2: :yay:

:chlexsign4:

zelda
25th November 2004, 07:40
Chapter 3: Would-be Hero

Lionel Luthor sat in his darkened study. He had no need of lights and he wouldn’t keep lights on for the sake of others. He thought about the events from a few weeks ago and Lex’s apparent appology to the Sullivan girl. It wasn’t like a Luthor to appologize for anything that they’ve actually done.

Although he hadn’t been able to see what had actually happened between his son and the highschool reporter, he could well imagine it. At lunch on Lex’s birthday, he’d listened to his son calmly request that he remove his pressure from Judge Ross’ position. Lionel had been angry at first till he’d seen the slightly distracted tone his son had used when he’d mentioned a bargain that he’d made to get something he wanted very much in exchange for easing up on Ross.

Lex hadn’t said what it was that he wanted, but Lionel figured it to be a woman. With the presence of Miss Sullivan in his son’s office that afternoon, the field was pretty narrow. He had been curious to see how it played out. A few days had passed and no police officers showed up to question Lex on the events of the evening. And other than the rejection of the flowers, he’d heard nothing from the young woman. Impressed though he might have been at his son’s effective way of gaining his pleasures with no recourse, he didn’t like the idea of him making no sacrifices when he’d forced Lionel to give up a treasured pastime; namely, pestering the Ross family.

Lex was getting too accustomed to winning. He needed a new lesson in loss. Lionel smiled and called for his Butler, Jacob.

"Sir?" The man said, entering the room. "What can I do?"

"I want you to deliver something for me."

Clark pitched hay at a normal pace. He wasn’t in any hurry to get his work finished. He had a lot on his mind. Farm chores were theraputic in a stange way. Chloe was acting unusual. It wasn’t like her to keep a lot of secrets from him. He was sure that she had some things she kept to herself, but if something was bothering her, he was one of the first people she went to. It had been a few weeks since she’d received the flowers and clothes. Since then, no, since the previous Friday, she had been acting strangely. He could feel her withdrawing from him. He couldn’t push without making her angry; besides, he’d made keeping secrets his life’s work.

When Clark had asked his mother what to do, Martha had simply shaken her head at him and told him that Chloe may need to talk about her problems at some point, but that he shouldn’t pry. Now that Lana and Chloe were friends, he hoped that she might open up to a woman. Lana had not mentioned any particular problem when he’d asked her about it. He rested his chin on the end of the pitchfork, maybe it was just some girl issues. Maybe he should forget about it. Then he smiled to himself. Maybe he should get Pete to drag it out of her. Pete was very adept at quick talking and getting people to open up. He finished his chores quickly and borrowed the truck. He drove into town and parked in front of the Talon. He got out and spotted a familiar face.

Lex was walking down the street after getting a cup of coffee. The door to the drugstore opened, Chloe walked out and nearly ran into him.

"Oh, sorry." She said, blinking up at him.

"It’s okay," he replied, "you missed." She gave him a nervous smile and promptly dropped the paper bag she’d been carrying. It hit the ground and to Chloe’s horror, spilled its contents onto the ground. Lex stooped to pick it up and she knocked heads with him trying to stop him.

"Ow." She said. Rubbing her cheekbone where it had connected with his forehead. Lex stood up, with a hand on his own head.

"You okay?" He asked, placing his palm on her cheek and brushing a thumb over the red mark that was already forming.

"I’m fine." She said, hurriedly, bending to scoop up the box of tampons from the sidewalk. She was completely mortified. It wasn’t as if Lex didn’t know about female biology; but he didn’t need to know hers. She stuffed the offending box back into the paper sack and stood up. "I’d better go."

"Don’t be embarassed." Lex teased, he’d seen the box. "I know all about this stuff."

"That doesn't mean we need to discuss it, or even acknowledge it in any way." She said, brushing past him and fleeing to her car. She got in and drove away, face in flames; she couldn’t have been any more embarassed if her skirt had blown up in a freak windstorm.

Lex was still chuckling when he heard a familiar voice call his name. He turned and raised a hand in greeting as Clark jogged up to him.

"Hey," Clark said, "What was that all about?" Lex looked confused for a moment.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"Chloe practically flew to her car after talking to you." Clark grinned, "Did you tell her that aliens just landed?" Lex hesitated for just a second before answering.

"No, we were just sharing an inside joke and I was teasing her a little." He shrugged, "Nothing major." He hadn’t wanted to tell his friend why Chloe had been so embarassed, he didn’t trust her mood swings right now. She might go from embarassed to homicidal if Clark knew what had fallen onto the sidewalk.

His friend said, lowering his voice. "I think something is really bothering one of my friends, but I don’t know how to be sneaky about prying into someone’s personal life." He shrugged "I was going to ask Pete to talk to her, but he’s not around, do you have any tips?"

"Clark, I’m offended." Lex said, placing his palm against his chest. "You should have come to me first." He grinned. "Seriously, you should really think before digging because you might not like what you find." he said tapping the teenager the chest with his cup of coffee before bringing it to his lips. Blowing on the steam he asked, "Who are you worried about anyway?"

"Chloe."

"Shit." Lex said, with a cough. Coffee was now dripping down the outside of the cup.

"Don’t choke, buddy." Clark said, patting him on the back. "Didn’t think the thought of Chloe was scary enough to make you try to breathe your beverages."

Lex’s glance darted up to Clark’s face quickly before he shook his head.

"The coffee’s hot, that’s all." He glanced at his watch. "Look I’ve got to run, but stop by the house later for a game of pool if you want." He got into his porche and Clark watched him drive off. Everyone was acting strangely. He walked into the coffee shop and spotted Lana at the counter, he greeted her and asked if she’d seen Pete. She told him that Pete stopped in earlier but left because he had a date for the movies later on in the evening. Clark stayed long enough for a quick cup of coffee before heading out again. When he got into his truck, he noticed a videotape sitting on his front seat with a note attached to it. The note read: Watch this alone. Curious, Clark looked around him with his X-ray vision but saw no one lurking around corners or behind locked doors.

Clark drove home and waited till his parents went to town to drop off a produce order. He nearly broke the VCR in his eager efforts to watch the mystery tape. He sat back on the couch with the remote in hand. When he pressed play, he was uncertain, at first, what he was watching. It looked like a home video of someone’s front hall. Clark recognized it as Lex Luthor’s house. Why was he receiving a tape of his friend’s house? He wondered. Then the door opened and someone entered the house. The camera zoomed in on Chloe Sullivan’s face. Checking the wall calendar behind him, Clark identified the date at the bottom of the screen as a Friday from a few weeks ago. He watched the tape with growing curiosity.

Chloe’s cordless phone rang, she turned off the running water in the tub to reach for the receiver. She stood in her jeans and t-shirt in the bathroom; she was really looking forward to a nice soak and whoever was calling had better have something important to say.

"Hello." She said, sitting on the edge of the tub to take off her shoes.

"Hi." Her skin tingled at the sound of Lex’s voice. "How’s the headache?" She smiled in spite of her earlier embarassment.

"Fine, no bruise." She replied. She tested the water with her fingers and turned on the cold tap to adjust the temperture.

"What’s that noise?" Lex asked.

"I’m just about to take a bath, the water’s still too hot though."

"Bubbles?"

"Of course."

"Naked?"

She smiled and put on a mock serious tone.

"I’m still wearing my clothes, but in a few short moments, this is going to start costing you $2.99 per minute." She heard him chuckle. They hadn’t spoken much lately in order to preserve the image of a divided front.

"Well worth the charge, I’m sure." He said. Then, "Hold on a sec…Come in." Chloe could hear a muffled voice at the other end. "Clark what’s wrong?" Then a clunking sound of the phone hitting the floor and shouting. Chloe dropped her own phone, and ran out to her car.

Clark had entered the room and Lex saw an expression of rage on the young man’s face. "Clark what’s wrong?" he asked, concerned.

"You son of a bitch!" He shouted, his face was red and he was shaking with repressed anger. His friend walked up and smacked the phone out of his hand.

"What in Hell is going on?" Lex jumped back in surprise.

"I can’t believe I didn’t see it before." Clark snarled. "The way she was acting, all withdrawn and nervous, then today when I saw the two of you she ran away like there were wolves on her tail when you touched her." He leaned close. "Then you choked when I mentioned that something was wrong with her."

"What are you talking about?" Lex was starting to feel nervous, he had a suspicion about the source of the teen’s rage. Clark’s eyes were hard; his voice was a deadly whisper when he finally spoke a single word.

"Chloe."

"What about her?" Lex’s mouth went dry. "What’s going on?" He spread his hands wide in a gesture of innocent confusion.

"I think I just figured out the inside joke you two have been mentioning." He stepped toward the other man slowly. "You sent her the dress, and the shoes and the roses and the orchid." He shook his head, "That damned orchid. You were taunting her in front of her friends by reminding her of what you did."

"Is that young Mr. Kent’s voice I’m hearing?" Lionel asked his butler from his chair.

"Yes, sir." Jacob answered. "He has entered the study and broken the phone, he’s yelling at your son."

"Perhaps I should go down there and interrupt if it looks like Kent is going to kill him;" he smiled, " but I wouldn’t want to end the lesson too early."

"I think any more teaching could result in the loss of your heir."

Chloe had the gas pedal nearly to the floor. The drive to the Luthor mansion seemed all too long now. She didn’t know what was happening, but it sounded like Lex was in trouble, and Clark was there too. She had no idea what she planned to do once she got there, she just knew she had to get there.

"I saw the tape." Clark spat the last word in his best friend’s face. "I saw what you did to her."

It dawned on Lex what he was talking about. He had little doubt that the tape was from his father.

"Let me guess." He said, "It was anonymously delivered to you." Clark hesitated for a moment.

"How does it matter where I got it?"

"Because the aim of the person who sent it was to make you angry enough to turn on your best friend. Maybe even come here tonight and kill me."

"You deserve worse than that." Clark said, turning away in disgust. He was trying to rein in his temper. "The acoustics in your house made it easy to follow the conversation." He lowered his voice. "I could hear her screaming, Lex. I could hear her pleading with you to let her go." He was shaking when he turned around. "I saw her standing there, and I saw you go to her and start roughing her up. I saw you," he said, poking a finger in Lex’s chest, "throw Chloe, my Chloe, down on your bed. I saw her try to run away and I saw you grab her and trap her in your room." He needed to hear it from the man he’d trusted, the man who’d hurt his friend. "Tell me why."

"Because he wanted her." The voice from the doorway surprised both of them. Lionel stood, calmly. "That’s what he told me the day he made a bargain to get the lovely Miss Sullivan into his bed." Clark backhanded Lex and sent him flying backwards onto the floor. The young man shakily regained his feet only to be seized by the neck.

"Don’t listen to him, Clark." Lex gasped. "It’s not what you think."

"I don’t need him to tell me anything." Clark said. "I heard her ask you why you needed to get something so important from her. You told her that you didn’t need her, you just wanted her." He looked disgusted. "You bargained with the lives of Pete’s family to get Chloe to sleep with you. She’s just a kid, a loyal girl who wanted to help her friends."

"She certainly will do anything for her friends." Lionel cut in, adding fuel to Clark’s anger. Lex tried to reason with him.

"You don’t understand what’s going on, you only have a small piece of-"

"Just tell me why you did it. Why her?" The boy’s eyes told of the betrayal and hurt and anger he was feeling. "You know how much she means to me." He said in a whisper.

"That’s probably part of the appeal Mr. Kent." Lionel asked calmly. He couldn’t see what was happening, but he was gleefully aware of the seriousness of the circumstances. "My son admires you and your family so much he probably just wanted to experience something you’ve had."

"Shut up." Lex shouted at his father. "Why don’t you just try shooting me instead of all these stupid games to try to get me killed or arrested."

"I’m afraid the tape will be useless by now as evidence if you were planning to use it." Lionel said. Clark turned in surprise. "I treated it with a chemical that works as a slow corrosive on plastic." He smiled, "There’s nothing you can do now from a legal standpoint, Kent."

"Who said anything about legal?" The boy said, pulling back his fist. "You’re pretty useless as a witness, Luthor."

"Clark stop!" All eyes, seeing and non-seeing, turned to the hallway. Chloe was running, barefoot toward them. "You can’t do this."

"I didn’t think to see you walk throught these doors again, Miss Sullivan."Lionel said softly when she came up beside him. For her ears only.

"Shut up," she replied, not bothering to glance at him as she ran past and entered the study. Clark was looking murderously at Lex, and Lionel was standing around doing very little. "Clark, let him go." Her tone was firm, but gentle. "You don’t need to do this."

"I saw the videotape of what he to you." Clark said, His voice pained. This was bad. She needed to find a way to speak to Clark alone. She thought quickly, then turned and pushed Lionel Luthor roughly into the hallway. She shut the doors and locked them.

"Is this place wired for sound?" She asked Lex.

"Possibly." He replied. He looked a little silly being held by teenager. "I’m no danger to her." He said to the young man who held him imoble. "I couldn’t hurt her." Clark looked at Chloe who nodded. He slowly released his grasp. Lex rubbed his throat and smiled at her. She stepped forward and placed a hand on her friend’s arm.

"I can guarantee that you didn’t see what you thought you saw." Chloe said. She slipped her hand in his and with a pleading expression, she tugged him away from Lex. "We can’t talk here." Clark looked confused and hurt. He also still looked angry.

"I don’t understand." He said. Chloe slipped into the circle of his arms.

"I know, and I’ll tell you why you can’t kill Lex." She felt wetness on her cheeks. She was crying from relief. Though Lex could usually handle himself, there was something about Clark that had made her fear that he was more than capable of ripping someone apart if he was pushed too far. She let the tears flow and said nothing to Lex but made a subtle gesture with her thumb and pinky indicating he should call her. He nodded, unseen by Clark who was now pulling her away and walking toward the door. She leaned on him for support and didn’t bother to hide her tears from the very functional eyes of a suit-clad man standing behind Lionel in the hallway. She said nothing to either of them, but lay her head on Clark’s shoulder.

Chloe had been so afraid Lex was in trouble that she’d forgotten her shoes. She winced slightly when she reached the driveway. She hadn’t noticed any discomfort when she’d run full-tilt into the house; Clark saw the state of her feet and without a word, scooped her up into his arms. Chloe had just driven like a maniac to get to Lex’s house, and she had discovered what she hoped was the fullest extent of Clark Kent’s rage. She didn’t want to think about what could have happened if she hadn’t told him to stop. She couldn't be angry with him, though. He'd been enraged on her behalf.

Chloe put her arms around Clark's neck. His chest felt solid, strong, and warm; the way it always did. She looked up at him. His jaw was set, he was angry, but he wouldn’t argue here. And he was gentle with her, the way he was with all of his friends. He brought her to her car and set her down by the driver’s door, which had been left ajar; her key was still in the ignition.

"Go home, get shoes and come back to the farm. I’ll be waiting in the barn." Clark said, turning away and walking to his truck. Chloe sat for a full minute before driving back toward home. She had barely made it past the gates when her phone rang.

"Are you okay?" Lex’s voice was concerned. It held little of the tension that she was feeling. She tried to laugh, but it came out as a choke.

"I was going to ask you the same thing." She told him about meeting with Clark as soon as she put on some shoes. He abviously needed some time to cool off before they talked. Lex agreed with her that they needed to tell Clark the truth. Chloe had hoped that Lex could keep up his façade a little longer. She explained that he might think she’d gone there just to keep Clark out of jail.

"Why did you come?" He asked. "Did you know Clark was going to try and defend your honor?"

"I didn’t know what was happening." She said, honestly. "I heard shouting and the phone dropped on the floor. I figured you were in trouble."

"So you came to save me?" Lex was standing outside his house in the back yard. He used his digital phone with a scrambler.

"You and Clark."

"Clark was seeking justice and revenge for someone he loves." He heard her sharp intake of breath. "Chloe, if I saw that video and didn’t know what happened, I would do the same thing." He shook his head and glanced up at the large windows of his office. He could see Jacob standing by the window. The man didn’t even try to hide. "Clark was angry. My father saw to that."

"Can we tell him the whole truth?"Chloe choked on the words. "I don’t think I can handle another lie after what happened today." She paused, "I’m sorry, Lex"

"Don’t ever be sorry for not lying for me." He said firmly. "It’s not your responsibilty to deceive a professional like my father. I never should have involved you in this. Especially since we have to see each other so often."

"Deceitful bitch that I am," she said with another attempt at humor, "I wasn’t prepared for all of this cloak and dagger stuff."

"I’ll come by the barn." Lex said, turning to head back to the house. "I’ll give you time to get there first."

"What do you want me to tell Clark?" She asked.

"Try to stall if you can, but I won’t ask you to lie anymore. I’ll tell him and he can hate me."

"I already lied to him." Chloe said. "He has every right to hate me about this. It’s such a mess." She knew this wasn’t helping Lex, but she couldn’t help feeling sorry for herself.

"I made you promise not to tell, and you were afraid for your friend’s family. I was the ass who asked a sixteen-year-old to do unspeakable things then expected her to step up and lie for me with no warning of what she was getting in to."

"Too late now. I guess we’ll deal."

"Yeah, but we’ll be pariahs together."

sydsvaughn
25th November 2004, 08:19
I'm loving this even more on this read through!! You've got such good characterization and I can't wait to read and re-read more!

SaraC

Janet
25th November 2004, 08:45
oooh score....

:biggrin:

Great fic. Love the recent chappys! Lionel is an evil bastard....

autumngold
25th November 2004, 10:53
Thank you for the new chapter!! :wub: I think it's so sweet how Clark tried to defend Chloe's honor!! Lex is lucky Chloe came in time!! :yay: Post again soon please!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

kitten
25th November 2004, 10:55
:huh:

*collapses in envy*

This story is so good I wish my name was on it.

More very soon, please?

buddyfozzy
27th November 2004, 01:02
This story just keeps getting better and better! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Wonderful update! :worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

zelda
27th November 2004, 07:44
Author's note: I wanted to write something a little introspective from Clark's POV. I thought something in-depth about his super senses and how he processed information from them might be interesting. Hope you like.

Chapter 4 "Awareness"

Clark was waiting in the fortress. He knew Chloe was close long before she stepped into the barn. It surprised him sometimes how unaware he was of his surroundings despite all of his senses. His father said that teenagers were notoriously distractable. He didn’t tell him how capable they were of complete focus on a certain thing when they put their minds to it.

Clark smelled the engine to Chloe’s car, and heard it when it was over a mile away. She parked near the end of his driveway and he felt the most delicate of air currents up in the barn that had been made by the sudden stop of her vehicle. With the breeze came the smell of her sweater. It was the new pink one. It hadn’t been washed enough times to get rid of the scent of the dye.

Chloe was nervous. Clark could hear her fast breathing and when he closed his eyes, and concentrated, he could distinguish her rapid heartbeat. There were so many things about her that hadn’t consciously registered in his brain till now. She had bathed and wore body lotion that carried the essence of Lavender. He knew it was lotion because it carried a hint of glycerine without the heavy smell of the alcohol that was present in most perfumes. He used his X-Ray vision to look down the road where she was walking slowly. He heard the shuffle of her feet and identified it as her running shoes. If she had been wearing her usual choice of footwear, he’d have been able to feel a distinct vibration of wooden heels smacking on the ground.

Clark cursed himself for observations that he should have made earlier. If he had been paying attention to Chloe’s non-verbal cues, he would have figured out something before now. What was the point of being able to hear her nervousness, smell her skin, and feel her shoes from nearly three hundred feet away if he couldn’t get the slightest clue as to what was going on inside her head. She stepped into the barn; he didn’t move from his spot near the window. Chloe walked up the stairs slowly.

"Did I miss it?" she asked softly. Clark dropped his head and didn’t answer. Bravely she went on. "I always thought this was the best seat in the house for watching the sun set on Smallville, I envied you your quiet moments out here." She joined her friend at the window and leaned on the sill. She inhaled deeply, closing her eyes. "I never had a fortress of solitude when I was younger." She said after a few minutes. "I always felt alone, even when I was surounded by noise." Clark glanced at her.

"How could you feel lonely in Metropolis?" He asked. She turned to look at him.

"Biggest cliché is to feel alone in a crowd, but it’s a good one." She shook her shaggy blond head, "I felt especially alone when I was with my friends. Then I moved here." She placed a hand on his arm. "You made me feel like I was a part of your life from day one. When you give your friendship, you hand people a little piece of yourself to carry with them. It’s not something you even have to try to do, or something you could stop yourself from doing, it’s just the way you are." She linked their fingers "That’s why it killed me to lie to you, Clark. I wouldn’t have lied about something this important except that I was protecting Pete’s family. He’s one of the few people I love as much as you." She turned away and looked west as the last rays of orange light disappeared over the horizon. "I didn’t tell Pete that I knew how much trouble his mother was in."

"How did that happen, anyway?" Clark asked. "He didn't go into detail that day in the Torch office." He covered their linked fingers with his other palm.

"Lionel was upset over a ruling she made in a former employees case against him. He decided to ruin her and run the Rosses out of town."

"So you went to Lex?" He asked, but he started answering his own questions. "You went on that Friday when you said you were sick after lunch." Things were starting to fit into place like a puzzle. "I saw you leave school, but you got back late, then Pete came in and was saying something about the inquiry against his mom being dropped." Clark shrugged, "He didn’t tell me much about it to begin with; but when he told you about it, you looked like you were going to vomit." He turned her around to look at him. "Did Lex he ask you to sleep with him in exchange for saving the Rosses?"

"Yes." Chloe saw his jaw tighten, and she was quick to speak again. "He knew that he was constantly being watched by his father and that he needed to convince him that he was a cruel, heartless monster." She could see from his expression that Clark wasn’t convinced of Lex’s good character. He cocked his head for a moment as if he was listening for something.

"Did you invite Lex here tonight?" He asked.

"No." She said, honestly, "But I do know that he plans to come by." He started to pull away but she stopped him. "You need to hear the whole truth before you go making any judgements, Clark." Her voice was firm."

"I don’t know if I can believe anything he has to say." He shook his head and walked away from her. "When did he tell you about the plan to trick his father?" He saw her hesitate a moment.

"It was just after he grabbed me and kicked the door shut." Clark’s mouth tightened.

"Tell me the truth, Chloe. Did he hurt you?" His pale eyes bored into hers now. She knew she had to tell him the whole truth for her part in it.

"My wrists were bruised, and he left a few bite marks that I covered with make-up."

"Bites?" Clark did not look amused. "So he really was forcing you at the beginning?"

"He let me go as soon as the door was closed and told me everything." Chloe said, she could hear the slam of a car door and footsteps coming close to the barn. "Clark, everything happened very quickly," she said, her voice rising slightly, "and as much of a jerk as he was to use me, I did go over there with the intention of sleeping with him."

"That’s no excuse, Chloe." The voice was Lex’s. He was walking up the stairs now, he carried a six-pack of beer under one arm. "I had no business getting you into this mess."

"We agree on that." Clark said, his face was a mask of tension. "I can’t believe you would use a person’s concern and loyalty to forward you own adgenda." Lex stood there and took his friend’s scorn.

"Clark," said Chloe, stepping up and putting a hand on his arm. "Lex had to give up a lot to get the Rosses off the hook, it’s not for you to forgive, it’s for me." She turned him to face her. "I lied to you, and I need your forgiveness on that." She turned and walked away, she knew that Lex needed to talk things over with Clark and they wouldn’t be able to speak as frankly if she was present. She touched Lex on the arm on her way out and he caught her fingers.

"I’ll be in touch." He said softly. She met his gaze and held it for a few seconds before descending the stairs and walking back to her car. She’d have normally sold her soul to be a fly on the wall during that conversation, but this time, she didn’t want to hear what they had to say.

Clark crossed his arms and looked at Lex.

"She’s right that it isn’t for me to forgive anything more than the lies." He said, "But you’re not the man I thought you were, Lex." He leaned back against the window sill. "I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the tape. I thought to myself that it had to be a mistake."

"From everything you described, it sounds like what happened."

"What did happen?" Clark sat down on his old couch. "I heard some of it from Chloe, but I want to hear about it from you."

"No you don’t." Lex said, shaking his head, "I was in rare manipulative and ruthless form, Clark; even for me." He twisted off the cap of one of the beer bottles, it was expensive imported beer. He offered it to Clark who refused.

"I need to hear it." Lex shrugged and sat down in a chair across from the couch.

"It was my birthday," he began, "And my father was joining me for lunch in order to discuss what my birthday wish was going to be this year."

"I remember you telling Chloe about that on tape."

"Well, I had gotten it into my head that I would use my wish to make my father leave Smallville or stop interfering with the plant and with local businesses when Chloe came by." He rubbed a palm over his face. "She was so angry and powerful when she walked into my office." He closed his eyes, remembering her. "Most women don’t come to my office with her kind of agenda; she wasn’t asking a single thing for herself, she just wanted to save her friend’s mother. And I saw an opportunity to help the Judge."

"Since when do you care about the Rosses?" Clark asked, "Pete has hated you since you blazed into town."

"My father did a lot of things to deserve scorn and retribution, I've been trying to make up for that as well as get a little Karmic credit for some of the stuff I've pulled." He sipped the beer.

"If you were going to ask for your father to leave the Rosses in peace, why did you need to involve Chloe?"

"If Lionel Luthor thought his only son was going soft on a local family, he’d crucify me." Lex said honestly. "He doesn’t understand anything without an ulterior motive. So I had to convice him that I was blackmailing a high school girl into sleeping with me in order to gain his understanding. Hell, he was philandering bastard, he’d definitely understand making a sacrifice for a young piece of ass." Clark turned to him sharply.

"Don’t say that-"

"It’s not how I see her." Lex cut in. He sighed and stood, walking to the window, taking off his jacket. It was dark now; no more sun peeked over the horizon. "She and I made the deal, part of it was that no one would ever find out what happened. She didn’t want Pete to know because, quite frankly, there was no way he’d be able to repay her for something like that. Or, he might think of her as a whore. Maybe his hatered of me would drive him to do something rash like you did. Maybe he wouldn’t believe her and he’d think it was an excuse she used to get into my bed, and that she liked it." He turned his head and Clark saw his sharp profile. "I can assure you that she did not gain any pleasure from what we did-what I did to her." He paused, then returned his gaze to the dark sky.

"What happened in your house?" Clark asked. He was feeling calmer now, but still upset. He stood up and turned on a lamp.

"I wasn’t planning things the way they happened. I was just going to close the door and tell her to leave crying a little while later. But my father started asking staff members about Chloe. I was afraid he would suspect a ruse or that Chloe actually wanted me. I was trying to protect her by ensuring that my father wouldn’t go near her for fear of a lawsuit. When she arrived I acted like a bully. You saw most of it, the breaking glass, demanding that she take off her coat so I could look her over." He stopped for a moment and his expression tightened with pain, he tipped the bottle up again."I’m sure you saw me grab her and tear her dress." Clark nodded, remembering how he’d felt when he’d seen his best friend run his hands roughly over Chloe’s young body. "I left the door open so that the video camera in the hallway would pick up most of what happened."

"You knew about the tape?"

"Yes, but I had to make it look good and I selfishly didn’t trust Chloe to go along with it. I pinned her down on the bed-"

"And started to fondle her." Clark snapped, standing and starting to pace. "Despite her asking you to stop."

"Then I let go and took off my shirt, giving her an opportunity to get away; when I kicked the door shut I held her still for a few moments and then took her back to the bed and told her to shout again. I jumped on the bed with her and she yelled at me to stop. I told her then that it was a trick. Once I explained, she was still shaken but she understood. And she let me break her shoe. She even worked up a few tears before leaving the house."

"That’s it?"

"Then I sent her the replacement dress and shoes."

"And the orchid."

"And the orchid." The two men stood in silence for a few minutes. Then Lex spoke again. "I don’t know why she forgave me. I used her and abused her to make my life easier."

"I’m still having trouble believing all of this actually happened."

"You shouldn’t be." Lex said, "I’m a really bad person, Clark. I’m just the lesser of two evils in this town." He sat again. "I did it for a good cause, but it doesn’t change what I did, and I’m sorry for lying to you, I was trying to protect Chloe from needing to admit that she was ready to sleep with me in order to save Judge Ross."

"But she was trying to help a friend."

"Wouldn’t matter if people found out. They wouldn’t see the tape, they wouldn’t know how scared she was. I know, I’m a fucking scary guy, Clark."

"I don’t think I understood that till I saw what you were capable of." Clark was starting to understand a little about Lionel Luthor. "Your dad was going to sit there and let you rape a sixteen-year-old."

"As far as he knows, he did just that."He finished the beer and set down the empty bottle. "My father would lose no sleep over the emotional and physical damage that I could have done to Chloe that night." Clark felt a different kind of awareness creep over him. He saw the sorrow etched in Lex’s features. He couldn’t imagine what it must have been like gowing up with a sociopath for a rolemodel. He could actually see why Lex had done what he did, though he didn't agree with it. But, he told himself; he hadn’t really hurt Chloe.

"I can forgive you for lying to me, Lex." Clark said, "Because I believe you were protecting Chloe." He hesitated. Lex opened another beer and downed half the contents in one swallow.

"I know you want to ask me something, Clark, Now’s your chance because we’re not going to talk about this again. It’s too easy to slip around other people." Clark nodded. "And make sure it’s something you really want to know, because, tonight I’ll answer you."

"Did you want to-" he started, then scratched the back of his head, his next words came out in a rush. "When you had her…under you on the bed, did you want to-" He pursed his lips. "You probably could have gotten away with it, Lex, did you want to do it for real?"

Lex rolled the beer bottle across his forehead. Then he picked up an unopened one and tossed it to Clark. The teen caught it and twisted off the cap. He took a big swallow and tried not to wince at the bitter lager taste.

"I knew I could get away with it," he said at last, "and I told her that night that no one would believe her if she tried to bring up charges." He rubbed his scalp, "When I was touching her I got a little excited, but I’ve had women in many ways, and I didn’t want Chloe like that." He finished the beer and opened another one as Clark sipped at his. "Not struggling, not crying, not scared." He didn’t look at his friend. "That image isn’t something that leaves a man’s mind for years. It haunts dreams, it appears suddenly at the sight of a familiar face or smell."

"How do you know that?" Clark asked, beginning to understand how far Lex had come since his wilder days.

"I have amends to make, but not tonight."

The two sat and drank beer till it was gone, four for Lex, two for the underage farmboy. Eventually, as Lex was getting ready to leave, Clark asked him,

"Are you going to see Chloe again?"

"I’m giving her some time to decide if she wants to see me. Then I’m damn sure going to try and make this up to her."

kitten
27th November 2004, 08:57
Originally posted by zelda@Nov 27 2004, 07:44 AM

"Are you going to see Chloe again?"

"I’m giving her some time to decide if she wants to see me. Then I’m damn sure going to try and make this up to her."
:drool:

I've only ever enjoyed about a handful of Clark pov stories. Your chapter 4 is one of them.

Also, please hurry on the making it up to Chloe. :worship2:

autumngold
27th November 2004, 19:45
I appreciate Lex's honesty with Clark!! I don't think he would have accepted anything else!! Thanks for the update!! Post again soon please!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

tiger04
27th November 2004, 21:07
I really like this story. I hope that you will post more soon.

AT

buddyfozzy
27th November 2004, 23:30
Wow, that was intense! Your version of Clark is very un-annoying, very well done!

:yay: :worship2: :chlexsign4: :worship2: :yay:

sydsvaughn
28th November 2004, 08:06
again i say how much i love this one..especially the Clark and Lex conversation.

Please, update again soon!

SaraC

zelda
28th November 2004, 09:13
Author's note: I originally had one long chapter to end the story with a lot of loose ends tied up very quickly. I always felt like I was shoving this under the rug to get it finished so I'm breaking it up a little and cleaning it up some.

Chapter 5: Privelage

"So what are you wearing to the big bash?" Chloe asked, sprawling on Lana’s bed. Now that Lana had been living with the Sullivans for over two months, they were falling into a familiar routine. Lana had stopped pussy-footing around; she liked the laid-back way that Gabe Sullivan ran his house. Now, Lex was holding a cabin fever party at the indoor atrium located in the Luthor mansion. All of the employees had been invited as well as family and friends. Gabe had proudly announced that he would be happy to escort the two prettiest ladies in Smallville. Despite a general distrust for anything Luthor-related, most people were getting excited for a little escape from the reminder that winter was going to stay for a while longer.

"The invitation said to dress for warmer weather," Lana said, weeding through her closet, "so probably this." She extracted a lovely gown that had a rose colored lining covered with a sheer, sage over dress.

"You’ll look hot." Chloe said nodding her approval. The warm colors would make Lana glow.

"What about you?" The dark haired girl asked. "The party is tonight and you haven’t been shopping once."

"I have remained uninspired by the local fashions." Chloe said dramatically, pressing a palm to her chest.

"What about that white dress?" Lana asked. "I know you still have it and the silk slingbacks. It would be perfect."

"I don’t know." Chloe said, wrinkling her brows. Lana didn’t know the whole story behind the dress, and she didn’t know if the Luthor’s party would be the perfect time to debut the white satin creation. She cocked her head to the side, then again, why not? Lex had given her the dress, it was only polite that he see her wearing it right? "Maybe you’re right." Chloe said, nodding. "It would be perfect for the occasion." In more ways than one. The remainder of the Saturday was spent with a quick trip to the Talon, and a manicure for both girls, they agreed that winter was the only necessary excuse for lavishing attention on their hands. They took turns showering and fought over the full-length mirror.

"You girls planning on making an appearance tonight?" Gabe called up the stairs. "How fashionably late do you want to be?" he chuckled.

"Coming, Dad." Chloe called, slipping simple pearl studs in her ears and her feet into the fabulous shoes. Lana winked and grinned, smoothing her own brightly colored gown over her hips.

"Just one last touch," Lana said, opening her bureau drawer and pulling out a small plastic container. "I remembered the day you got the dress and I thought this might look nice with it." She smiled shyly. "Since it's a summer party."

Chloe was temporarily speechless. Inside the clear container was a flower. Lana opened it and handed it over. It was another Orchid, though not the same as the one Lex had given her.

"Lana, It's beautiful." It was a dark purpleish pink with a yellow center. It had a mild scent to it and the end had been wrapped in silk and attached to a small clip. She looked up at her friend. "That was incredibly thoughtful of you. When did you have time to do this?"

"I might not work in the flower shop anymore, but I still have connections. I made a call while you were getting your nails done and a friend of Nell's made it and sent it to the Talon. It was in the beg with the pastries we got for your Dad." She shrugged. I know that yellow is a great color on you, but I thought that this would be the ultimate 'Fuck You' to winter and I was hoping to convince you to wear the white dress."

Chloe laughed at Lana's logic. Though they had little in common and the girl's sweetness got on her nerves sometimes, Lana was a very kind young woman.

"Help me get it on straight." Lana fussed with Chloe's hair which had been tightly curled and sprayed instead of flipped as usual. The flower contrasted well with the pale garment she wore and put a glow in her cheeks that winter had stolen. Since she was appearing in public, and with her father, Chloe had also opted for undergarments. She'd worn a convertible bra and thong in seamless cotton in order to avoid any embarrassing lines under the dress.

When they made their appearances at the top of the stairs, Gabe whistled his approval, then hurried them into their coats and into the car. When they arrived, a red-coated man parked the car. The girls walked into the main hallway, each holding one of Gabe’s elbows.

Chloe hadn’t been to the house for a social visit since she’d interrupted Clark in the midst of his attempted maiming of his best friend while trying to defend her honor. It looked very different with it's garlands or live, flowering plants that clung like ivy or were discreetly attached to nealry every surface of the entryway. She excused herself to stop in the washroom closes to the atrium to check her makeup and hair. She reapplied her lipgloss and touched the orchid briefly. Next to her stood a vase of pink lillies. They complimented the veins of pink that ran through the marble on the walls and sink top. Like everything in the house, it was perfectly decorated.

Clark hadn’t told them for certin if he would be attending the party. His family had received an invitation, but knowing Jonathan Kent’s dislike of the Luthors, he warned them that his presence might be nil so they didn't look for him. They were led through a dimly lit hallway, down some stairs and through a pair of glass doors into the atrium. The sight of a tropical garden blooming while surrounded by winter took Chloe’s breath away.

"Welcome." Gabe smiled and offered his hand to Lex who was walking up with a curvy brunette attached to his side. "I hope you like the décor." Lex continued, he looked at Lana and Chloe. "Looks like you managed to snag two dates, Sullivan, nicely done." He signaled to a man in a tuxedo to take the guest’s coats. When Chloe removed her long jacket, she didn’t look at Lex right away. When she did, she noted that he was looking her over from top to bottom. With her father standing too close, he said nothing. But he gave her a secret smile and raised his eyebrows in appreciation. Lana spotted one of her friends from school and excused herself. Chloe’s dad pulled Lex into conversation, leaving Chloe standing next to Lex’s companion.

"Hello." The woman said, in a lightly accented husky voice. Chloe wondered if she smoked. "My name is Marie." She held out a hand decorated with many rings. She was wearing a sarong and skimpy bikini top with a flowered lei. Chloe shook her hand politely and introduced herself.

"Chloe Sullivan." She looked around her at the brightly colored blooms that seemed to fill every crevace of the room. "It’s beautiful here, I’ve never seen this room before." The woman gave a large smile and practically purred.

"It is one of my favorite rooms in the house. I enjoy coming here a lot." Chloe blinked with surprise. Marie was staking a claim, and being very obvious about it. She was trying to make a point to the high school reporter that meant "I belong here, you obviously don’t."

"Then I’m sure I’ll enjoy it as well." Chloe said, stiffening her spine. She told herself it was just to piss of the painted hussy, and not because she cared about Lex's affections. Her thinly veiled jibe was not lost on the french woman; Marie tighened her red lips slightly and raised an eyebrow. Clark walked up to them, dressed in khaki pants and a loud Hawaiian shirt.

"Hi, Chloe." He said, he took in her ensemble and whistled. "You look great." Then he wiggled his eyebrows at her, "nice...orchid you've got there."

"Thank you, the orchid was from Lana and I'm glad you made it," she said, then she turned to Marie and introduced her old friend to her new adversary. They shook hands and Clark asked innocently if she worked for Lex.

"Yes." Marie said with the slightest chill in her voice, "But I like to think of Lex as a personal friend." Her eyes strayed to Chloe on the last word and the reporter did not miss her meaning. Inclining her head, she took Clark by the arm and asked him if he could help find the beverages. The young man led her away, tossing a glance over his shoulder.

"Did I detect a bit of frost on the ivy?" He asked. "How do you know her?" He led her around a large shrub and revealed a small bar being serviced by a man wearing a crisp white shirt and black pants. Chloe ordered a tropical fruit juice and shook her head at Clark.

"I’ve never met her before in my life." She admitted. "She just took a dislike to me immediately and started acting all posessive of Lex. As if I'd be some kind of threat."

"She's probably doing that to any woman who looks better than she does." Clark said, absently.

"Clark!" Chloe said, surprised, "That's an incredibly sweet thing to say."
"I have my moments, but you really look a lot classier than that girl," he replied, smiling. He looked very pleased with himself.

Pete joined them later, he was wearing a t-shirt with a red cross on it, red shorts and had a whistle around his neck.

"Chloe," he said giving her an appreciative nod, "you just let me know if you feel faint, cause I'd be happy to give you a little mouth to mouth."

"I'll remember that." Pete had warmed up enough to lex over the last few months to allow his date to drag him to the party tonight.

The beverage that the bartender had made was very sweet and refreshing. Chloe sipped her drink and caught her father’s eye. He beckoned her over to him. She and Clark walked over to be introduced to some of Gabe Sullivan’s co-workers.

Unseen behind a clump of bushes, Lionel Luthor spoke to his butler, Jacob about the conversation he'd heard between the Kent boy and Chloe Sullivan in regards to Lex's date.

"Keep an eye on Marie." He instructed.

"Sir?" Jacob asked, confused. "You don’t want me to follow Miss Sullivan?"

"Marie may be shallow and superficial, but she's practically psychic when it comes to sensing romantic competition, I’m sure she has good instincts about when her prey is about to slip away, I'll stay close to Miss Sullivan." Jacob nodded and walked away. Lionel smiled to himself. He wondered why a woman who shared his son’s bed would feel threatened by a high school reporter who seemed to hate his son.

"What are you smiling about, Dad?" Lex’s voice interrupted his thoughts. As usual, his son was cool and polite, but always suspicious.

"I think you may be neglecting your date, Son." He said before turning away and carefully making his way to the bar and getting himself a drink. Lex narrowed his eyes at his father’s retreating form. He knew the man was up to something, it was as natural as breathing. But he did wonder about his sudden interest in Marie.

The sound of Chloe’s laughter caught Lex's ear and he turned to watch her as she listened to an amusing anecdote that one of the workers was telling. She looked beautiful in the gown and the flower in her hair gave the expensive gown a more casual and carefree look. The guests’ dress ranged from shorts and a t-shirt, to the more elegantly clad board members. Lex felt cool fingers slide along his arm to settle in the crook of his elbow.

"What has you so preoccupied, Lex?" Marie pressed her ample breasts to his side. He detected tension in her voice. "You haven’t danced with me yet." She pouted prettily at him. He smiled and led her onto the torch-lit dance floor and proceeded to dance, holding her close. He did watch Chloe over her shoulder and caught her gaze on them a few times. He kissed her hand and excused himself after two songs, telling her he had to play host. He saw her glance behind him and her brows came together with disaproval. Lex looked around and saw Chloe talking with Clark and Lana. His own gaze apparently fell too long on the pretty blonde because his companion lay a less-gentle hand on his and whispered a suggesstion to him that had him raising his eyebrows.

"I can’t leave the party now." He said, placating her. "Even for that." She pursed her lips and stalked away from him. He knew he was taking a risk showing any deference to the alluring Miss Sullivan. Marie could be very vindictive when she sensed opposition or compteition. He didn’t want Chloe to have to deal with that. She'd been very unhappy that he'd found her an apartment instead of allowing her to stay at the mansion indefinitely.

Marie worked for his PR department and he'd had her staying with him when he first hired her after meeting her in Paris. She did a very good job, but he told her firmly that though he enjoyed their intimate relationship, he liked to keep his space to himself. He continued to mingle, and kept an eye on Jacob. He knew the man was acting as his father’s spy and he didn’t want there to be anything to report.

Jacob stole away from the fringes of the crowd in order to make his way to the where Lionel was waiting.

"Well?" The man asked expectantly.

"He hasn’t approached Miss Sullivan directly, but Miss Marie appears to think something is amiss, she left in a huff after a few dances with Lex." Lionel looked thoughtful. "Does our young reporter friend seem ill at ease here?" he aasked.

"Not at all, but my son has kept his distance and she is with her father and Mr. Kent." Lionel paused.

"Do you still wish me to add something to her drink?" Jacob didn’t like the idea of drugging someone, but he didn't dare to let his employer know.

"I will try to catch her alone, when I do, you make your move, you’ll need to be quick on this one." .

Chloe, Clark and Lana were walking around the maze-like garden. There were so many bushes and hanging plants that a person could almost forget that she wasn't on a tropical island. The atrium was huge and there were skylights, but since it was evening, most of the light came from strategically placed tiki torches and twinkle lights in nearby trees.

"This is absolutely amazing." Lana said, leaning in to inhale the fragrance of some pretty white blossoms that freckled a little shrub potted next to a stone bench. Chloe agreed, sitting down on the bench and setting her drink beside her. Clark shyly asked Lana to dance. The girl accepted and they excused themselves, promising to return shortly. Chloe closed her eyes, breathed in the smells of the surrounding greenery, and tried to imagine that she was miles away from snowy Smallville. It would be easy to lose herself when in the presence of such a fabulous illusion. She didn’t hear footsteps approach, but was jarred from her reverie by a familiar voice.

"Miss Sullivan." Chloe stood quickly and turned to face Lionel Luthor. She said nothing. He was standing close by, but not making any moves toward her. Thought he still used a cane and wore dark glasses, he looked quite comfortable with his surroundings.

"Mr. Luthor." She answered. She had no intention of getting into an argument tonight. She didn’t want to give this man any reason to make her father’s life difficult, so she told herself firmly to keep her temper in check.

"I’m told you look quite lovely this evening." His voice was smooth. He was probably a regular charmer with the ladies. "I’m delighted that you decided to attend this evening. I wanted the opportunity to speak to you."

"What about?" Chloe asked, on her guard. Unfortunately, she did not notice the hand that reached through the bushes behind her to drop a small white pill into her fruit juice. "

"The last time we met," he began, taking a step toward her, "I wasn’t able to really talk to you, I thought we might take this opportunity to discuss a few things." Chloe glanced around her, she felt fairly isolated being out of sight from any other guests. Telling herself that she was perfectly safe, she gathered her bravado about her and stood her ground.

"I don’t think we have anything to discuss, and I’m not certain why you think we need to have any kind of ongoing relationship." She didn’t know how much he had figured out about the night she had gone to the mansion. And she didn’t feel like giving anything away.

"I just wanted to appologize to you on my son’s behalf." He said, raising his palms in a defensive gesture. "I know that Lex’s treatment of you wasn’t very kind," Chloe couldn’t believe what she was hearing, "but I just want you to know that I did not raise my son to be quite so forward with his attentions." To her surprise, he reached forward and placed his hand on her shoulder, rubbing circles with his thumb against her soft skin. "That fragrance you're wearing is enchanting, is it-"

"Frankly, Mr. Luthor," she interrupted calmly, dropping words like icicles from her lips, "I think it is very bad form to make excuses for your son when you yourself did nothing to… curb his actions." Lionel frowned and she continued. "And you will remove your hand from my body, or I'll remove it from your wrist."She picked up her drink and walked past him, but before she had taken a few steps, his voice made her stop.

"I can only imagine that you look as delectible as you smell." Chloe did not answer, but kept walking, till she turned a corner and ran straight into Lex.

"Chloe?" he said, catching her distressed expression. "What’s wrong?" They were away from prying eyes so he dared to put his hands on her shoulders. She shuddered and he removed them, thinking she was suddenly afraid of his touch.

"Your father just approached me to try and discuss things with me." She told him about their conversation and shuddered again when she repeated his parting shot at her. "Why does he feel it necessary to try and harass me now?" She raised her glass to her lips and wished that it was more than just fruit juice. She gulped the cool liquid and took a calming breath. Understanding, Lex cautiously placed his palms on her arms again, this time at her elbows. When she didn't shrug them off he rubbed comfortingly.

"I’ll think of some way to get you out of this," he said. "You shouldn’t be caught up in the games he plays with me." He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a gentle hug which she accepted, much to his secret delight. He knew it was dangerous to show favor and affection with so many people closeby, but the urge to hold her had been irresistable. He depositd her back with her father and took his leave, looking for his father and Jacob. He spotted neither man, but he was certain that at least one of them was still lurking around somehwere.

"Having a good time, sweetheart?" Gabe asked, his daughter. She smiled and nodded, finishing her drink. Lana and Clark had finished their dance and rejoined the small cluster of people that included both Sullivans, and some other men and women whose names Chloe instantly forgot.

After a few minutes, Chloe started feeling a little lightheaded. She excused herself to go the bathroom. The enormous, marble-floored washroom was wavering in and out of focus. Her ears started to ring and she leaned on the sink for support. Her head felt funny, like when she'd accidently overdosed on cold medicine and had drank too much caffiene. She turned on the water taps and ran a hand towel under it. She dabbed at her sweaty face and neck. She felt dizzy and she was trembling.

Beside her, a large, glass vase held white roses in it. She looked at the vase closely. She remembered the flowers that Lex had sent her, and the one that he'd left her on the floor of his hallway. She shook her head, trying to clear it. Something was wrong. She could have sworn that there had been different flowers here earlier.

"Pink." She said out loud. "I know they were pink."

kitten
28th November 2004, 09:45
:devil: :devil:

Ooooooooh . . . I'm so glad you didn't try to cram too much of this into one chapter. Lionel plots are always so amazingly evil.

Although you definitely have my sympathies on wanting to hurry a story through. Updates are hard work and I try to appreciate each one. :biggrin:

And so my thanks.

buddyfozzy
28th November 2004, 20:43
Lionel is so evil! What's he going to do now that she's drugged? Please add the next part soon. :yay: :yay: :worship2: :worship2: :yay: :yay:

autumngold
29th November 2004, 00:10
I love that Chloe was still together enough to notice the change in the flowers!! Please, please post another chapter soon!! I can't wait for more!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

sydsvaughn
29th November 2004, 00:47
I won't complain about having more to read! Looking forward to seeing how you'll get everyone out of this one!

SaraC

estrellalily
29th November 2004, 05:52
uh-oh!! what is lionel up too? will lex save chloe in time? update soon, i cant take the suspence!!!
:blinkkiss:
~estrellalily

hfce
30th November 2004, 05:04
Oh no please dont let anything happen to her please.... :crygreen:

Hope :crygreen:

Janet
30th November 2004, 06:13
ooooooh,.....

nice chapter! Bad Lionel. Bad! :tease:

;)

Kit Merlot
30th November 2004, 19:42
i adore this story!

I think you've depicted Chloe wonderfully--attracted to Lex, but not falling all over him--EXCELLENT :biggrin:

zelda
1st December 2004, 17:41
Author's note: More NC17 stuff, and a warning for those of you who do not wish to read about acts of violence.

Grim Reminders

Jacob stood in the hallway near the entrance to the atrium. They could see the door to the downstairs restroom where Chloe Sullivan had just gone in.

"What was in the pill?" He asked.

"A mild hallucinogen that enduces anxiety."

"Do you want her to have a panic attack here?" Asked Jacob.

"Only one dose won't cause a panic attack in most cases. That's why you're going to administer them to her periodically over the next two weeks."

"She seemed a little light-headed just now. Won't she know something is wrong?"

"The dizziness passes after the first dose or two as the body gets used to it. Besides," he said with a smail, "she won't be thinking about that. Just the nightmares that they'll induce."

Lionel knew the roses would remind her of his son's room and the flower he'd tried to give her. The olfactory senses were the strongest memory trigger of all the senses. And the most capable of enducing emotional response.

Another wave of dizziness came over Chloe and she stumbled, falling to the marble floor. She picked herself up carefully, feeling nauseated from the sweet, over-powering scent of the flowers. Roses. They reminded her of the one Lex had left on the floor. And the boquet he'd sent. She pulled herself up, weaving on her feet and groped for balance on the countertop, knocking the vase of roses onto the floor. The sound of shattering glass made her jump. She covered her mouth with her hand. What was wrong with her? She was uneasy here. She shouldn’t have come, she needed to go home.

Gabe Sullivan was surprised to see his daughter return from the bathroom with a pale complexion and nervous expression. He went to her side.

"Are you okay?" He asked. She nodded, he encouraged her to sit, she resisted that suggestion and placed a trembling hand on his arm.

"Dad can we go home now?" She shook her head, "I’m not feeling very well all of a sudden." He agreed and went to get the car. Lana appeared at her side.

"What’s wrong?" She asked, "You look really pale." Chloe appologized and told her that she asked her dad to bring them home. Lana went to Lex to get their coats and left Chloe with Clark.

"Chloe," he said, tilting her chin up, "something’s wrong." He could hear her heartbeat, it was quick and erratic. Her breathing was shallow and fast. "Tell me what happened."

"I went to the bathroom and felt dizzy." She said, placing a palm against his chest. "I’m okay, really, it just must have been something I ate today." Lana appeared with Lex behind her.

"Are you sick, Chloe?" Lex asked, helping her into her coat. She shivered when his fingers brushed her neck. She moved away from his touch. It reminded her of another time he'd helped her with her coat. She wasn't sure why it made her upset now; she hadn't really been upset then.

"I’m okay." She said, stepping away from him. She suddenly felt crowded. "I’m sorry, I broke a vase in the bathroom."

"It’s okay." He said. "I’ll go get someone to clean it up."

"Pretty white roses." She whispered more to herself than to him. Lex looked at Clark. The older man’s expression was serious.

"See that she gets home okay." He said, then he leaned in and whispered to Clark, "I didn't order white roses for tonight, and I had lillies in the bathroom."

Lex walked down the hallway; he opened the door to the guest bathroom. There were no roses and no broken vase. The pink lillies were siting where they'd been at the beginning of the night, but he doubted that Chloe had imagined it, he stepped closer and inhaled. He could still detect their scent. He squatted down and ran his fingers over the floor. He felt something grainy catch on his fingertips. After moving closer to the light, he noticed tiny shards of glass catching the light. The staff could have cleaned it up, but he doubted it.

Lex rushed back out to where Gabe was leading Lana and his daughter out to the entryway. He called out to them and the stopped. He politely thanked Gabe for attending the party and each of the girls. Chloe nodded and looked away. She seemed eager to leave. When she turned, he noticed waterstains on her shoes. Something was going on and he would find out what it was. Anger bubbled up in him as he watched Chloe walk away. Someone was playing a dangerous game with his emotions and he didn’t like it.

The sheets felt cool against Chloe's warm skin. She was tired but felt sleep elluding her. She kept running over a mental list of the things she hadn't completed for that week. She hadn't studies for her Math test on Wednesday, she still needed to get someone to cover the story on the art show, and did she remember to throw away her dress?

Chloe's mind wouldn't focus, and her heartbeat wouldn't slow down comletely. She kept grasping at thoughts and they kept slipping away from her. She could still smell roses. What was she trying to remember about the roses she'd seen tonight? She finally drifted off, thinking about the flowers.

Chloe was working late in the Talon office. She felt comfortable being there alone. There was a night janitor who patrolled the halls with his floor waxer. She’d heard him go by a little earlier; if his routine didn’t vary, and it rarely did, he would be down near the gym by now. It was nearly eleven and the rest of Smallville was winding down. Chloe, on the other hand, was stuck at school.

The Torch was run fairly smoothly while she was here, but Chloe wondered who would continue it after she left. She was afraid it would end up neglected and eventually stop. She logically knew that it would be taken over by another editor and go on being a newspaper, but she didn’t like the idea of it going on without her. Maybe Lex would send her some articles when she was away at college.

Chloe was just about to get up for another coffee break when a voice startled her out of her reverie.

"Working late?" She spun around, Lex Luthor was standing in the doorway, and she had been so lost in thought that she hadn’t heard him approach.

"Hi." She said, taking the opportunity to stretch against the cramps that threatened mutiny on her back. "I was just thinking about you." She said, smiling politely. She felt funny, he smelled like roses for some reason.

"I hope I was naked in your thoughts." He said, walking into the room. Chloe was surprised to hear such an openly suggestive phrase from him. Then she laughed.

"That sure snapped me back to my senses."

"What?"

"The mental picture." She said and he smiled.

"You could see the real thing." Chloe stopped smiling. There was something wrong with the way that Lex was looking at her; he was speaking in a way that made her feel uncomfortable.

"Did you just get off a ship or something, sailor?" She tried to make a joke about it. He approached her chair and took her arm. He pulled her, none too gently, into his arms and kissed her. Chloe was so surprised that she did nothing at first. Then she placed her hands on his chest and pushed back. "What’s going on?" She asked. He captured the back of her neck and his mouth swooped down again. He held her tight against him and leaned back till her backside was pressing against the corner of the desk.

"I’ve been watching you for some time, now." Lex said, lifting his mouth from hers. "I want you Chloe, I know you want me too. I can tell by the way you look at me." He tore off his coat and caught her as she tried to slip past him.

"Lex, I don’t know what’s got into you." She said, wincing at the pressure he put on her upper arms.

"I can tell you what will be getting into you shortly." He moved his mouth to her throat and began to drag his teeth and lips roughly over her sensitive flesh. She pushed back, hard and narrowed her eyes angrily. This wasn't part of the deal anymore. Wait, there was no deal.

"What’s wrong with you?" She asked, stepping sideways away from him. She knocked a vase of roses onto the floor; they made no noise as they crashed. She pushed away from the desk but he blocked her path. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. He was supposed to let her go.

"I’ve been waiting for this for a long time." Chloe leapt for the door but Lex was too fast. He spun her around and pushed her to the floor. She cried out in pain as her bare knee hit the floor. She scooted away but felt hands on her hips, dragging her backwards. She struck out behind her and heard a grunt of pain but the hands holding her did not release. She screamed out for help but knew that the janitor was too far away to help her. Lex’s weight came down on her and pressed her flat on her stomach. He pushed her skirt up and jerked down the back of her panties. She tried to claw her way away from him but succeeded only in injuring her fingertips. She tried to lift herself up, but while she was trapped on her stomach, she could see very little and had even less mobility.

Lex clamped his hand to the back of Chloe’s neck and she felt herself pressed to the floor. She could hear him fumbling with his zipper and belt.

"Oh God, please don’t do this." She begged, tears seeped through her lashes. A moment later, she felt the hot tip of his sex press against her. She screamed but Lex placed a hand over her mouth. He pushed into her roughly and the pain of his invasion seared through her. Her flesh was tender and unready for him.

"I knew you’d be tight." He grunted, "I just didn’t know I’d be the first."

kitten
1st December 2004, 17:53
:worship2:

Your diabolical MB is my new favourite evil Lionel. What a terrible, brilliant way to manipulate Chloe and Lex. I hope the drugs are discovered soon though. Of all the things to do to them, that's one of the worst I've ever read.

Thank you for the new chapter!

buddyfozzy
1st December 2004, 19:48
Wow, your Lionel is such a bastard! I hope he will be stopped soon.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Ami Rose
1st December 2004, 20:42
Wow! :huh: That would be scary! Please continue! :devil:

hfce
1st December 2004, 20:48
Oh no that is part of Chloe's nightmare isnt it? EEK!!! :huh: Please let Lex figure this out.

Hope :crygreen:

S.Ann Smith
1st December 2004, 21:58
I love this story soooo much... it's one that's stayed in my head since i read it. and trust me, that's a compliment, it's not stalkerish... i love how you've changed it only slightly. This is one of my all time faves

zelda
2nd December 2004, 09:10
"Chloe!" The new voice broke through. "Chloe." She tried to push away the hands that gripped her shoulders and sat straight up. At first she couldn’t see anything at first. "Are you okay?" Lana was sitting on her bed next to her. She was holding Chloe by the shoulders. "You were screaming in your sleep." The other girl ran a hand over her damp, blonde head. "You're sweating."

She was soaked all over, not just under her arms but her back, chest and legs were stuck to her pajamas. Her own skinfelt too hot to wear.

She started when she heard a knock on her door.

"Chloe, Lana, What’s wrong?" It was her father’s worried voice. Lana stood up and opened the door.

"She was having a nightmare," she said. Gabe was wearing his old bathrobe. He came in and sat next to his daughter.

"Are you still feeling sick?" He asked, placing a hand over her forehead. "My God, you’re burning up." He told Lana to call the hospital and tell them that he was driving in his daughter.

"Dad I’m okay." Chloe said, a little breathlessly, trying to calm him. Her cheeks were wet with tears and she was still trembling.

"You’re not okay." He said, walking to the door, "I don’t know anything about medicine, but I know when my little girl is sick." He dressed quickly as Lana helped Chloe change from her damp pajamas into a t-shirt and sweats. She was shaking so badly that she couldn’t tie her own shoes. Her chest felt tight and she thought she might be having an asthma attack, though she's never been diagnosed with it.

In the car, Lana quizzed Chloe about everything she'd consumed at the party.

"I only drank a fruit juice from the bar," she said. "I was feeling fine most of the night, but then I started to feel light-headed and I went right to the bathroom."

"Did you get sick in there?" Lana asked.

"No, but I was so dizzy that I fell and broke a vase."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"I did," she said, crossly. "I asked if we could go home."

"We're almost there, honey," Gabe said, from the front seat. He looked at Lana in the rearview mirror, she pursed her lips and wrinkled her eyebrows, silently conveying her concern. Chloe's t-shirt was already damp all over and her breathing was more labored than before.

"I feel like my heart's running away with me," Chloe croaked. her throat felt dusty and dry.

It was nearly four in the morning, and the emergency room at the hospital was almost empty. Gabe walked in, with an arm around his daughter’s damp shoulders. She had little strength and he supported most of her weight. Lana parked the car and came in the side entrance. She made it to the lobby in time to see her friend collapse onto the floor. Gabe shouted for help, a nurse hurried forward and asked what had happened. He told her that his daughter had been with him at a party when she’d started to feel ill. She’d been drowsy in the car on the way home and had gone straight to bed. A few hours later, he and her friend had been awakened by her screams. She’d appeared to have a high fever and since he knew nothing about medicine, he’d taken her to the emergency room.

Once she was in a hospital bed, the doctor confirmed that she had a fever of 102. He wasn’t sure what had brought it on, but he wanted to know if she was on any medication. Gabe told him that he was unaware of any, then he asked what she had had to eat or drink that day, where she’d been when she’d started showing symptoms. The doctor shooed Gabe and Lana out of the room so that they could run some tests.

The phone on Lex Luthor’s bedside table jangled noisily. He opened his eyes and answered it.

"Mr. Luthor?" It was one of the night staff members. "I’m afraid I have an important phone call for you from the hospital."

"Put it through." He said, sitting up and turning on a lamp. "This is Mr. Luthor."

"Lex, it's Lana." The girl's voice was tense. "I'm at the hospital right now."

"Was there an accident? Are you alright?" He sat up in bed and threw back the covers.

"I'm fine, it's not me."

"Who is it?"

"It's Chloe."

"Is she okay?" He asked, feeling goosebumps rise on his arms.

"After we left your house, she went straight to bed, she was having a nightmare and she was screaming in her sleep." She cleared her throat carefully. "The doctors think she might be having an allergic reaction to something, but she didn't eat anything at the party, and she's pretty sure she only had fruit juice to drink."

"Does she have allergies to anything that they know of?"

"Gabe said that after she was buried alive, she got sick and ran a fever after being given a mild pill for anxiety, but that's the only thing he can think of. The doctors are concerned that someone might have slipped something in her drink."

"I’ll be right there with a list of everything served and the names of the staff." He said, but before he could hang up, she said one more thing.

"I don't care where she got it, or who gave it to her, just find out what it was."

"I’ll find out, I promise." He hung up and grabbed his pants from the chair beside the bed. He didn’t find his Father in any of the offices or his bedroom. He ran to the opposite wing and knocked on Jacob’s door. When he received no response, he tried the doorknob. It was locked, but he just took a step back and kicked it in. Jacob was sitting at his desk; he did not look up when Lex walked in.

"You’re father has gone." He said, bringing a snifter of brandy to his lips. Lex knocked it out of his hand and dragged him to his feet.

"My father approached her in the atrium tonight, but he never goes anywhere without you." He snarled, holding the drunken butler up by his lapels. "Did he put something in Chloe’s drink?" The man’s face crumpled.

"He made me do it, sir." Lex’s fist plowed into his face. Jacob fell sloppily to the floor; Lex picked him up again and shook him.

"What did you put in her drink?" The other man’s head was reeling from the punch and from the massive quantities of alcohol that he’d consumed.

"He said it was a mild hallucinogen to induce panic attacks." Tears rolled down the man’s face. "Something that one of his labs had been developing to try and decrease anxiety, but on the test subjects is had the reverse affect." He snuffled loudly and wiped his sleeve across his nose and bleeding lip. "It has a cycilic base like the original anti-depressants, but the lab team had to scrap the tests because the patients were hallucinating and having nightmares."

"What else?"

"He had me put a vase of roses in the bathroom where he was sure she would see them, to remind her of the night that she came here." Jacob shook his head and reached into his own pocket. He pulled out a plastic bag that held five little white pills. "I was to keep slipping these to her over the next few weeks. They're He was hoping to give her nightmares by reminding her of that night and increasing her anxiety till she had a break-down."

"And the whole story would come out." Lex said through clenched teeth. "And people would hear the truth, but Chloe would be crazy and they wouldn’t convict, right?" Jacob nodded. "Another rumor that people would want to believe, but there'd be no way to put me in jail." Lex was speaking to himself.

"You should pay for what you did." The man spat at him, "And so should I for letting it happen. She’s only a little younger than my own daughter." Lex snatched the bag of pills from the butler’s hand and dragged him along the hallway.

"We’re going now, Jacob." He said, ignoring the stares of the staff members who'd come out od their rooms at the commotion. "Chloe’s in the hospital, she’s had an allergic reaction to what you gave her."

"No."

"Where did my father go?" Lex asked, moving as quickly as possible while dragging a drunken man along with him. Then went down to the garage and practically threw Jacob into the passenger seat of his Mercedes. He got into the driver’s seat and roared off the Luthor property.

"He went to Metropolis." Jacob said, swallowing the bile that rose in his throat. "To the penthouse." Lex picked up the car phone and dialed information, he requested to be connected to the emergency room at the Smallville Hospital. When the line was picked up, he asked for the head ER resident and waited, steering the Mercedes with one hand, while the nurse paged him. A minute later, he heard the doctor’s voice.

"This is Dr. Cummings."

"This is Lex Luthor, I'm calling about Chloe Sullivan who was admitted tonight."

"Yes, Mr. Luthor, do you have any information?"

"She was given a Cycilic anti-depressant with a side-effect that causes more anxiety and probably violent nightmares." He looked at Jacob who was leaning forward, being sick on the expensive floor carpeting. "I also have the man who gave it to her, have the police there." He hung up the phone and ignored the moans coming from the man beside him, as well as the sour stench of regurgitated scotch.

When he pulled into the emergency room parking lot, he jumped out of the car, walked around to the passenger side and dragged Jacob out. When they entered, he headed straight to the detectives sitting with two uniformed officers in the lobby. A man in a white lab coat came running up.

"Mr. Luthor?" Lex handed him the bag of pills.

"This is what he gave her." He said. "Where’s Chloe?"

"She’s in the Intensive Care Unit, but she’s stabilized." He looked behind them; "The police need to ask you a few questions." Lex nodded and approached, Jacob shuffled along. He dropped the butler at the feet of the detectives.

"This man is in my father’s employ and works at my house." He looked at the man crumpled on the floor. Jacob was on his hands and knees and openly weeping. "Tell them what you did tonight." And he did.

Lana was sitting in the ICU waiting room with Gabe Sullivan. She was surprised to see Lex Luthor walk in, dressed in a t-shirt and dress pants. He approached and pulled Gabe Sullivan into the hallway. Lana couldn’t hear what was being said, but she could see the angry expression on her friend’s father’s face. He turned and kicked a chair, startling a passing nurse. Then he started walking toward the emergency room. Lex came in and spoke to Lana.

"I need you to call Clark." He said. "It’s a little after five a.m., he should be up. Can you tell him what’s happened and that he needs to come right away." Lana nodded and walked to the desk where she asked to use the phone. If it came to it, Clark could give his side of the story.

kitten
2nd December 2004, 09:16
:blush:

Thank you for getting Chloe help right away. Now Lionel can get his ass kicked as he so richly deserves.

hfce
2nd December 2004, 16:35
Oh thank God I thought it would be dragged for a few more chapters. I am so glad this was handled so quickly. More please......

Hope :chlexsign2:

buddyfozzy
2nd December 2004, 21:28
I'm so glad that things will get better for Chloe. Lex can kick Lionel's ass now.

:yay: :worship2: :worship2: :worship2: :yay:

S.Ann Smith
3rd December 2004, 00:30
great update.. more soon please

sydsvaughn
3rd December 2004, 05:21
Loving it as always ... and please, more soon??

SaraC

autumngold
3rd December 2004, 05:49
Excellent two chapters!! This story is so incredible!! Post again soon please!! :worship2: :chlexsign4: :worship2:

Blu_FireFly81
3rd December 2004, 23:33
Please, please, I beg you please update!

zelda
4th December 2004, 07:31
Chloe was drowning, she was in the ocean and surrounded by sharks, they didn’t bite her, they just kept moving past, bumping into her and circling back. Lex sat in a small boat before her. He was speaking to her but she couldn’t hear him. She was afraid of him, but more afraid of the sharks. She swam toward the boat and reached out her hand to him. He caught it and held fast. She could almost hear his voice now. Murmuring like she was still underwater, but his hand felt warm.

"You’re safe now." She opened her eyes. Her father sat beside her bed, he was slumped over, sleeping. Sunlight was streaming through the window. She still felt the warm hand that had pulled her to safety. She looked to her right. Lex was sitting on the edge of her bed. "You were having another nightmare." He said, brushing her hair off her forehead.

"What’s going on?" She croaked, her throat felt tight and dry. She tried to clear it. Lex held out a cup with a straw to her lips. She sipped cool water and lay back on her pillows.

"My father’s butler slipped a hallucinogen into your juice. It had a compound in it to cause anxiety and stress." He frowned, "You had an allergic reaction to it and your father brought you here, you’ve been delirious for the past six hours. You just came out of it around nine-thirty this morning and started sleeping again.

"I don’t remember much." Chloe said, she felt tired, like she’d run a marathon all night.

"It’s probably a blessing that you don’t." He said. "The stuff you ingested can cause people to see pretty scary stuff." Chloe nodded and tried to think of the events of the past few hours.

"I remember feeling ill at the party and going to bed." She said, then her forehead wrinkled, "I had a nightmare at home."

"What was it about?" Lex asked. When she hesitated, he smiled gently, "It was about me, right?" She nodded. "My father had his butler put the roses in the bathroom and his approach to you in the atrium was to heighten your stress level and remind you of the night you came here."

"You’re kidding, right?" She kept her voice low. "That’s a lot of trouble to go through just to give me nightmares." Lex looked away from her. "There’s more?"

"Jacob was supposed to keep slipping you drugs over the next few weeks till you had a nervous breakdown or till you became hysterical and blurted out something about what happened."

"But nothing happened." She said.

"That’s not what my father thought. He couldn’t understand how I’d managed to keep you quiet so he sent the tape to Clark. When you came in and stopped Clark from beating me to a pulp, he figured you were trying to save him from jail. Then he thought that making you have a break-down would bring everything out into the open but if you were crazy, no one would be able to convict me on your testimony."

"So what now?" Chloe asked, "Where is your father?"

"Probably circling the legal wagons." He smiled, "I doubt if he will go to jail, he’ll pretend that Jacob acted alone and pay him enough to keep quiet."

"I don’t like that idea."

"Me neither, but at least he knows he’s been out maneuvered." Lex placed a hand on her forehead. "I’m so sorry that it came to this. I didn’t have any idea he would go this far."

"It probably wouldn't have worked even if I wasn’t allergic to whatever he gave me."

"Using the power of suggestion and drugs to induce nightmares and anxiety is a new low." He glanced up at Gabe who was watching them through half-closed eyes. The big man nodded silently. "We’ll let the police do what they can with Jacob’s testimony."

"I can testify that he approached me that evening and brought it up."

"His defense will say you were already on drugs and imagined everything." Lex shook his hand. "I’m going to try and keep you as far from this as possible." Chloe nodded and closed her eyes. Lex left and Gabe joined him in the hallway after his daughter was asleep.

"You know your father is going to continue to hurt my daughter."

"Yeah, but she'll try to handle it herself," Lex replied.

"How soon?" He asked Lex.

"Too soon will look like revenge." He said. But I don’t want to wait till he has a chance to go after her again."

"I’m on vacation in three weeks." Gabe’s face was devoid of emotion. "Can you provide transportation?"

"Yes, and the alibi." A tiny smile pricked the corner of his mouth. "I have a plan."

The death of Lionel Luthor brought big news. The apparent self-inflicted gunshot to the head was investigated, but little evidence was there to support it. Lex was questioned, but he had been in a meeting on a conference call from with one of his workers at the time of his father’s death. Phone records were pulled, and there was a forty-minute call made from Lex’s office phone to the office of Gabe Sullivan. Everyone remembered the big man going into his office and not coming out till after the police arrived at the Luthor mansion. He was certain that Lex had been on the phone with him in his office during the time of the suicide.

Since there was no one to insist on an ongoing investigation, the case was closed. Lionel Luthor left no note, but his son recalled his father being under a lot of stress shortly before his death, and commenting that he missed his departed wife a lot. The funeral was packed. The curiosity factor was too high for all of his associates to not come and pay their last respects.

Chloe Sullivan didn’t go. She was too busy going to interviews with newspapers. She and her father never talked about Lionel, and she never asked him about the phone calls that she'd overheard. For once, as he'd asked her when she came home from the hospital, she was letting Daddy handle things.

Lex stayed away from Chloe for three months after his father’s death. He didn't call her, or send flowers, or seek her out. Since he spent so much time in Metropolis doing his father's job, he didn't have much time for Smallville. He hired a new assistant to do most of the running of the plant while he was in Metropolis tying up his father’s affairs. All of the years experience that Gabe Sullivan had had as foreman made him the natural choice.

Summer came and Chloe went to the city to stay with her cousin and work as a columnist at the Daily Planet. It wasn't anything big, and she still had to fight for good stories, but it was a paying job.

Chloe was standing in a boutique, looking at the newest fashions that Metropolis had to offer. She slipped a pale peach summer dress off its rack and brought it to the dressing room. She tried it on and stepped out to check her reflection in the mirrors outside. She saw herself from all sides, and decided that she would definitely need a second job if she were going to be seeing such pretty things everywhere. A familiar form stepped up to the Chloes in the mirror. The Chloes smiled at him. The real one turned and greeted Lex.

"How are you?" She asked.

"Better now." He said, holding out a pink lily to her. "Somehow I didn’t think roses or orchids were quite appropriate." She smiled and took it, brushing his fingers with hers. "Can I take you to dinner? I have an offer to make you."

zelda
4th December 2004, 07:51
Coming soon: "Power Play" Lots of Chlexy goodness, snark, and intense conversation.....oh yeah, sex too.

kitten
4th December 2004, 08:01

I'm happy Lionel's gone. But is this the last chapter or is there an epilogue that really puts Chloe and Lex together?

*crosses fingers for another chapter*

hfce
4th December 2004, 08:07
Oh did Lex give Lionel the pill? Oh :devil: if he did good job. And I am so glad they are working on getting together. More please..

Hope ;)

zelda
4th December 2004, 11:39
Thanks everyone for all the nice reviews, this story was my first Chlex fic. This one has ended, but I've been working on another one which I'm posting now called "Power Play" which can stand on its own but does make references to "The Wish" so it can technically be considered a sequel.

Here is a preview and shameless plug: the asterix indicated where I've skipped ahead to other dialogue. The dialogue is only between Chloe and Lex, so when I've made a break, I'll identify one of the speakers so you can follow.

When Lex called, as always, it was at the worst time. Chloe was just getting ready to go out and meet some friends for cocktails. He asked her to meet him in his inner office at Lexcorp, located in the heart of Metropolis’ business center.

Lex: “New jacket?”
“You care?”
“Ouch!” he sat up and put a hand to his chest. “Chloe, you give me heartburn with your acid.”
“Yeah,” she said, dryly. “I’m the cup of orange concentrate the you drink without mixing in the water, I know.”
“Did I say that?”
“Last time.”

Chloe: “You were talking about the girl.”
“She asked me to call him and tell her father that nothing she’d said had made any impact on the takeover; that I’d done my research and it would have happened anyway.”
“What did you say?’
“I told her that she’d been paramount in the takeover and that I couldn’t have done it without her help.”

Chloe: “I guess this calls for champagne, then?”
“Very funny.”
“You’re right,” she said, standing up and putting her hands on the counter. “I’m not helping very much. You do this for a living and I can’t say that in the same position I might not do the same thing.”
“But you think I’m an asshole?”
“I’ve always thought you were an asshole, Lex,” she said, returning the flutes to the bar and pulling out a wineglass instead. “Do you have a Riesling?”
“No, I have real wine.”
“Asshole.”
Her voice trickled from behind the bar. She rummaged around until that came up with a bottle of red wine. “You only keep red at the office?”
“I’m the only one who drinks in here.”
“Real men don’t drink white?”
“Bitch.”
“It’s why you called.”
“Bottom shelf, there’s a bottle of Dom on the far left. You can have that.” He got up and walked to the bar. “And pour me another scotch while you’re there.”
“What’s the magic word?” she asked, standing up and holding the bottle of expensive champagne victoriously.
“I just said it.”

“You think I wanted to be Clark Kent?”
“Only a masochist would really want to be Clark Kent,” she mumbled into her glass. “Now, as much as I know you must have hurt that young woman, what’s the real reason you asked me here tonight?”

autumngold
4th December 2004, 20:42
Thank you so much for this wonderful story!! :worship2: It makes me so sad that Lex and Chloe are fighting in your next story, but you're going to make it all better!! Right? :yay: You're the best!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

becky
5th December 2004, 04:25
aww that was just :wub: and so :devil:

really great story, very well thought out, and really well written. it would be nice to see an nc17 epilogue where chloe works through her lex issues (esp after the deal and the nightmare) but hey, i guess i'm just greedy!!!

~Becky~
:chlexsign3:

Chimera0523
6th December 2004, 21:06
This was a great story! Now off to read your other one. :chlexsign4:

~Michelle

buddyfozzy
6th December 2004, 21:18
Originally posted by Chimera0523@Dec 6 2004, 09:06 PM
This was a great story! Now off to read your other one. :chlexsign4:

~Michelle
My thoughts exactly! :chlexsign4:

Kandya
30th December 2004, 03:03
Wicked cool awesome...I can't to read the sequel. I hope what happened to Lionel is revealled. :biggrin:

Sab_Luthor
8th January 2005, 21:33
This was a wonderful story :yay: :yay:

RachelWeisz87
21st January 2005, 20:58
I always thought this fic was really good-- great job!

Ainur
13th March 2005, 05:15
I read this before and I think I never left a review. Just wanted to tell that tis fic was perfect. Loved everything about. Excellent job!

starmoon
17th March 2005, 08:47
Very intense and made me sad and made at the same time, I was also empressed at times. Lex plane was good though sleeping with another woman was gross. It should of been and should asways be Chloe. Chlex forever.

TestingFaith
26th June 2005, 06:39
Wow, this was awsome, I loved it. Amazing job.

Smiles,
Lily M.

arkakitty
26th June 2005, 08:59
I love it. Simple as that. I love it :)

darkangel
6th July 2005, 09:12
This fic is very good. I love it.

teb85
9th July 2005, 18:41
great fic! well written.

txalb
5th November 2005, 06:12
Wow! This was just painful. You had me completely convinced that he was going to go through with it. There was that bittersweet moment when he was reminiscing about how she would never come to him for herself. So painful.

That last image of Lex in the shower trying to wash away what he almost did and the connection to Spartacus (am I correct in that, it was Spartacus right) was really powerful. The despair he felt right there came right through. Absolutely amazing.

But I have to say that my favorite part is where he tells her what he would have wished for. That was so sad and if anything should have told her right there how strong his feelings are for her.

Thank you so much for writing this. I truly enjoyed it. Now I’m going to have to go through and see what else you’ve written. Keep it up, especially if the rest is this good.

txalb

Catvampcrazines
5th November 2005, 18:48
good stuff hun!

Ann
5th November 2005, 22:39
I loved it! Loved how he was willing to give up his wish to help Chloe. At first you had me worried that he was actually going to rape her but that's just not our Lex! Great job! :)

chexfan
16th January 2006, 10:26
You don't often see that kind of a twist...and I enjoyed it, and the rest of the story as well. Nice.

Brittany
2nd February 2006, 09:02
Great fic, can't wait to read the sequel!!!

Jessie
7th March 2006, 02:09
Very intense, well written story. It was one of the first Chlex stories I had ever read and it totally motivated me to read more.You did a great job of providing an insight into what it must be like to be Lex Luthor and to always have to be on his guard becasue of his father.

Esther25jm
27th March 2006, 12:03
Great story and great ending to Lionel Luthor. The man deserved it. Can't wait to read 'Power Play' next!!

westwingwolf
14th August 2007, 13:04
This story was fantastic. It was dark and devious. I loved that Lionel got what was coming to him in the end, and that Gabe had no problems in letting it happen to protect his daughter. I'm glad of all that Lex did to protect Chloe. Got to check out the sequel now.

juuicebox
22nd August 2007, 21:08
awesome story!

Ami Rose
21st July 2010, 16:45
Nice ending!

emms14
22nd July 2010, 06:06
Great story! Short and sweet. :)

-emms14

dkfuryan
22nd July 2010, 14:24
I love this story, just re-read it and off to read Power Play again. Thanks!

Pufkinz
27th July 2010, 12:44
Dastardly man

cornelia
29th July 2010, 01:44
This story has one of my absolutely favorite set ups. I just finished re-reading it and one tine suggestion to make it better...a sequel!

I had to ask!

really I loved this story!

malugargula
6th February 2013, 08:26
I can't believe I missed this great fic before reading power play
It' an amazing fic
Loved that Chloe let daddy handle things
:)

HotCrossedBunny
6th February 2013, 22:26
Great story. I especially like the leaving it Daddy part *wears her Daddy's girl t-shirt proudly*

sarena
12th February 2013, 23:27
Great story...

Emch
13th February 2013, 00:18
Great fic