PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Dark Knights (R)

ruafair
19th April 2003, 00:37
Dark Knights
Author: RuaFair (AKA Fiona)
Email: redwitchire@yahoo.co.uk
Rating: R (may rise)
Spoilers: Everything to date to be safe-Season 1 & 2
Disclaimer: Smallville, its characters, and anyone else who appears all belong to someone else. (Sigh) I’m just borrowing them.
Dedicated to Hope.
Feedback: Please, let me know what you think, the muse craves it.

A/N: This fic is not set at any specific time but events in Season 1 and 2 of Smallville will be mentioned. Also Lionel was never blinded.

Chapter One – Unwelcome Visitor

The long black limousine snaked its way along the roads. The fields flashed by, it’s occupants paying no attention to the scenery around them.

“Slow down please,” the voice in the back asked, as the car approached the large sign, mounted on the side of the road.

“WELCOME TO SMALLVILLE. METEOR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD,” it read.

Both driver and passenger smiled as they passed it.

“Sir,” the driver said, “you still haven’t said why we are here in this small town.”

“There’s no particular reason,” the passenger replied. “I just need a change of scenery for a little while. Besides there’s an old *friend* here in Smallville whom I want to see.”

“Why sir, do I get the impression that this *friend* of yours will not be as happy to see you?”

“How very astute of you. But yes you are correct, he is *not* going to be pleased to see me.” He hit the button that lowered the window beside him and looked out of the fields of corn and cows. ‘Not happy at all,’ he thought, as he hit the button again, closing the window.

--------------------------------------------------

Chloe settled herself into a seat in the corner of the Talon. She had chosen the perfect spot to people watch. This was her new hobby. She had started doing it one Saturday afternoon, when she had come in for a coffee with Clark and Pete, and as usual they had deserted her. So as a result she found herself watching the comings and goings in the coffee shop with more intent.

Unfortunately there weren’t many people around on this Sunday afternoon. Chloe sighed before taking a sip of her latte.

Her eyes fell on a couple of jocks over by the main door. As usual, even on the weekend, they were decked out in their red and yellow school jackets. God forbid they should be seen wearing something other than those damn jackets.

‘I wonder if it’s a self-esteem thing with them,’ she thought. ‘Or are they just jerks,’ she added when she watched them tease some poor girl who was leaving.

Her gaze fell on the counter where Lana Lang stood in all her perfect, tragic queenly glory. And of course to the side stood her ever-present shadow Clark Kent. Chloe rolled her eyes at them.

Her crush on her best friend was diminishing every day. They were so much better as friends. And it was now nausea, not jealousy that she felt when she watched them conduct their little adorer and adored dance.

She tore her eyes from Smallville’s tragic couple before she threw up. Suddenly she spotted Lex Luthor hidden away at the back. ‘I don’t remember seeing him when I came in,’ she thought, ‘and he didn’t come in after me, at least I don’t think he did.’

As he was reading the paper, Chloe took the opportunity to really watch him. The man just exuded confidence and control. She doubted he was ever at a loss for words, or got flustered over anything. Suddenly he looked up from his paper and locked eyes with her. For some strange reason Chloe felt herself blush, and yet she couldn’t seem to drag her eyes away.

There was something about the way Lex looked at you. It was like he was looking right into your soul. Like he could find all your deepest fears so he could use them for his own means. He always seemed so cool. And Chloe wondered if he would be cold if she touched him. She felt her cheeks get hotter at the thought of touching him to find out.

Lex smirked as he watched Chloe’s face turn a number of different shades of red. And he wondered, not for the first time, what was going on in that head of hers. He had felt her gaze on him and when he had locked eyes with her she had started to blush. ‘Interesting,’ he thought.

He glanced over at Clark who was gazing adoringly at Lana. Bringing his gaze back to Chloe he saw her roll her eyes in their direction and Lex couldn’t help but smile and the young reporter. And when he did he was rewarded with one of Chloe Sullivan’s mega-watt big smiles.

Lex had never met anyone who could light up a room with a smile like Chloe Sullivan could. He smiled once more at her and turned his attention back to his paper.

Rather proud that she had got a smile out of Lex Luthor, Chloe made her way to the counter to get a refill.

“Mr Luthor isn’t home at the moment,” the housekeeper said.

“Do you know when he will be back?”

“I’m afraid I don’t, he doesn’t usually say when he’ll be around or not. You might want to try the plant. Or if he’s not there maybe the coffee shop in town, he owns it.”

“Thank you. What is the name of this coffee shop?”

“It’s called the Talon. Would you like to leave a message for Mr Luthor, in case you don’t manage to reach him?”

“No that’s ok. It’s not important. Again thanks for your help.” And with that the man headed back to the limo. The housekeeper closed the front door and went back to her work.

“Do you want to go to the Luthor-Corp plant sir?” said the driver as he got back into the car.

“No, I think we will drop by this coffee shop first. I could do with some caffeine myself. I doubt he’ll be there though; he is probably at the mansion sleeping off a hangover. And told the housekeeper to send everyone away.”

“Very well. Is seeing Mr Luthor the reason you came to Kansas,” he asked, starting the car.

“No it isn’t. But the fact that he is here will just make the *visit* that little bit more interesting.”

“Hey Lex,” said Clark, taking the seat opposite him.

“Clark, I see you have managed to drag yourself away from Miss Lang,” replied Lex.

“Yeah, well, she’s kind of busy with customers,” said Clark. “So I thought I’d come over and say hello.”

“And why didn’t you drop by Chloe’s table?” asked Lex, glancing in her direction. He saw that she was huddled over the table writing furiously in a notebook.

“Because experience has taught me Lex *not* to interrupt Chloe when she is writing. She tends to get extremely pissed off if you break her train of thought.”

Clark looked over at the blonde friend, “Lex, even her *dad* wouldn’t risk it.”

“Now there is a challenge if I ever heard one,” replied Lex with a smirk.

“Believe me, it’s so not worth it. For a small girl Chloe packs one hell of a punch. Just ask Pete,” laughed Clark.

Lex said nothing and looked back over at Chloe. She was deep in thought, chewing on her pen. “I’ll bear that in mind Clark,” he said.

“Well don’t say I didn’t warn you Lex,” said Clark with a grin.

“Ah he’s here, that was unexpected,” the man seated in the back of the limo said, as he spotted the silver BMW parked outside the Talon with its ‘LEX1’ licence plate.

“Shall I wait here sir? Or do you want me to accompany you?”

“No David, you wait here. I won’t be long.” He got out of the car and headed towards the Talon.

Chloe was up at the counter getting yet another coffee when the door opened and a very handsome dark-haired man stepped in. ‘Wow,’ she thought. ‘Hey where have I seen him before?’

He spotted the blonde girl staring at him and made his way over to her. ‘Very cute,’ he thought.

“What the fuck is he doing here?” said Lex.

Clark looked over in the direction Lex’s anger was pointed at. “Do you know that guy?” he asked, as Lex stood up.

“Unfortunately I do,” he replied making his way over to the counter. Clark closely followed him.

“Lex Luthor, fancy seeing you here,” said the dark-haired man with a smile as he saw him approach.

Chloe looked to Lex, and was slightly surprised at the expression on his normally stoic face. ‘Whoa, he looks really pissed,’ she thought.

“Bruce Wayne,” sneered Lex. “What the hell are you doing in Smallville?”

Chapter Two – Two Billionaires

“Now is that any way to greet an old friend,” said Bruce with a smile.

“You and I are *not* friends,” retorted Lex, “so again, what are you doing in Smallville?”

Ignoring Lex’s question for a second time, Bruce looked around the few people who had now gathered at the counter. “Well aren’t you going to introduce me to your *friends*?”

Lex said nothing, and to Chloe it looked like he was fighting some sort of internal battle. ‘Lex Luthor knows Bruce Wayne,’ she thought, ‘and it looks like they don’t like each other.’

Lex took a deep breath and made the introductions. “This is Clark Kent,” and both men shook hands. “Lana Lang.” Bruce turned and smiled at the brunette behind the counter. “And this is Chloe Sullivan.”

He took Chloe’s hand and placed a kiss on it. And Lex couldn’t help but smirk at the expression on her face as Bruce did that.

‘Ok as far as first impressions go,’ thought Chloe, ‘he’s cute but if he thinks that kind of charm is going to wash with me he is sorely mistaken.’ “So Mr Wayne,” she said, “you never did say why you were in Smallville.”

“Call me Bruce,” he said, smiling at her, and Chloe couldn’t help rolling her eyes at him.

“Be careful how you answer,” said Lex, “Miss Sullivan here is a reporter. She’s editor of the high school paper, the Torch.”

“Well Lex, we all don’t have an aversion to the members of the press like you do. Some of us don’t mind talking to reporters,” his gaze still on Chloe.

“So how do you two know each other?” asked Clark.

“We went to the same school,” said Lex.

“My first and only school,” said Bruce smugly, “and what was it for you Lex, number five or was it six?”

“Eight,” said Lex tightly. And both Clark and Lana gasped.

“Wow you really were the bad boy, weren’t you Mr Luthor?” said Chloe with a smile. “Jeez eight schools, what were you going for a new record or something?”

Lex flashed Chloe a grateful smile. “Something like that,” he said.

“So Chloe you’d prefer the *bad* boy,” said Bruce.

“Well Mr Wayne, *nobody* really likes a goody two-shoes,” she retorted.

“Unfortunately we can’t all be school hopping, drug taking, womanising playboys,” he said, slightly addled by Chloe’s reaction to him.

“No you can’t Bruce,” said Lex, “that’s a job for professionals not amateurs.”

Bruce was saved from answering by Lex’s phone ringing. “Hello,” he said, moving away from the group.

“Smallville must be a big change from Gotham Mr Wayne,” said Lana.

“It is, but I have to say it’s a nice town, the people seem friendly,” he replied.

“And why are you here?” asked Chloe again.

“I have some business here,” he said cryptically.

“Which would be?” she prodded.

“Chloe,” said Clark, “give the man a break, he’s only just arrived.”

“Clark, Smallville is hardly a bustling hot bed of business opportunities,” she said, “and yet we seem to have attracted not one, but two billionaires. That’s news.”

“Spoken like a true reporter,” said Bruce, “and as much as I would *love* to answer your questions Chloe, I don’t have the time just now.”

“Put off like a true professional,” said Chloe, smiling at him.

‘Wow, she has a great smile,’ thought Bruce. “But I am going to be in town for a while, so maybe we could arrange to *talk*.”

“Are you offering yourself to be interviewed?” asked a disbelieving Chloe.

“Yes,” he said. “And not just for an interview,” he added in a low voice.

Chloe gasped slightly and felt her cheeks get red, while Bruce just grinned at her. Lex arrived back after finishing his phone call, to see Chloe’s blush and Bruce’s grin.

‘What’s he up too,’ thought Lex, ‘she’s only seventeen.’ Conveniently forgetting some of the X-rated thoughts he’d entertained about the young reporter.

“You’re still here I see,” he said to Bruce.

“Why would I leave? When Smallville has such wonderful sights,” again he directed his gaze at Chloe.

Lex did not like the way Bruce was looking at Chloe, and he couldn’t quite put his finger on the reason why. From what he remembered of Bruce the Gotham City billionaire had quite a good reputation when it came to women, particularly for treating them well. ‘Unlike you Lex, who use and discard them,’ an inner voice spoke up.

Chloe could feel the tension levels between the two men rise by the second. And while she knew Lex Luthor was renowned for his cool exterior, and any interviews or articles she had read about Bruce Wayne seemed to give the impression that he was just as cool, Chloe could see that each was waiting for the other to crack.

‘Well my money’s on Bruce Wayne to crack,’ she thought. ‘Lex would *never* show, in public anyway, a lack of control.’ But still she was glad to know that Lex did get flustered, even if he wouldn’t show it.

“Anyway, I’ve just *offered* myself to Chloe for an interview,” continued Bruce. “Seeing as you probably never granted her an interview.”

“Hey Mr Luthor did give me an interview,” said Chloe, “it’s just that it didn’t quite turn out as we expected it.”

Lex couldn’t believe that once again it was Chloe who had jumped to his defence. Not that he needed it of course, but he did appreciate it. Clark was his friend and yet he stood there saying nothing, well stood there close to Lana but still he said nothing.

“Oh what happened,” smirked Bruce, “you asked questions, he didn’t answer.”

“No, thieves broke in, and I got thrown out of a window,” said Chloe, shuddering slightly at the memory.

“Jeez Lex I knew you didn’t like reporters but arranging the place to be broken into is taking it to extremes,” joked Bruce.

“Really Bruce, aren’t you a little old for such childish remarks,” said Lex, sounding bored.

“I have to agree with Mr Luthor, that was pretty pathetic,” grinned Chloe.

“I can do *much* better Chloe, but I have to leave now.”

“Well isn’t that upsetting,” said Lex.

“Now who’s being childish,” said Chloe. Lex just grinned at her.

“This is weird,” whispered Lana to Clark, “and I’m not quite sure why.” Clark nodded in agreement with her.

“Well it was pleasure to meet you all, and Lex as always... Chloe here’s my number give me a call and we’ll arrange that *interview*.” He handed Chloe a card and winked at her before walking out.

Chapter Three – Warning

“Well that was kind of strange,” commented Lana as Lex left the Talon shortly after Bruce Wayne.

“Yeah it was,” agreed Clark, “and boy do Lex and Bruce not like each other, I wonder did something happen.”

“Maybe they just never liked each other Clark,” said Chloe. “Just because they went to the same school doesn’t mean they started off as friends. I’d say it was just a big ego clash, with one as bad as the other. I could just picture them, ‘my bank balance is bigger than yours,’ ‘my car goes faster than yours,’ etc.”

Both Lana and Clark laughed. “So are you going to take Bruce Wayne up on his interview offer?” asked Lana.

“Hell yes,” said Chloe. “There is no way I’m going to pass up on the opportunity to interview him. This is Bruce Wayne; he’s almost as elusive as Lex. Hey maybe I can get some information on Lex while I’m at it.”

Clark watched with a smile as he saw Chloe’s eyes light up as she thought of all the questions that she could ask Bruce Wayne. “So when are you going to arrange it for?” he asked.

“Not for a few days at least,” she replied.

“Wow Chloe, I thought that you would have arranged it for as soon as possible,” said Lana.

“Normally I would, but I want to do some research first, see what I can find out,” she said.

“You mean go digging Chloe,” said Clark, remembering how she had looked into his adoption.

“Some people call it *digging* Clark,” retorted Chloe, “*I* call it research. And if you’ll excuse me I need to get started on it.” And with that she turned and left the Talon.

‘God the nerve of him,’ thought Chloe as she headed to her car, ‘he just had to bring up that damn adoption thing.’ She was quite pissed at Clark, ok he was her best friend and she loved him dearly, but sometimes he was just to self-righteous for his own good.

She was still thinking angry thoughts when Lex came up behind her.

“Chloe,” he said, laying a hand on shoulder.

“JESUS,” she exclaimed, turning around. “Christ Luthor way to give me a heart attack.”

“I apologise,” he said with a smirk.

“I bet you do,” she said. “So did you actually want me for something, or were you just trying to give me a heart attack?”

‘I want you for a lot of things,’ he thought. “No the scare wasn’t deliberate, I did want to talk to you.” Lex took a deep breath before continuing. “Chloe I want you to stay away from Bruce Wayne.”

“Why?”

“Because I just do,” he replied.

“Sorry Mr Luthor, I’m going to need something a little more than that. Besides it’s only an interview, and even you granted me one, eventually.”

‘An interview isn’t all he wants from you,’ he thought. “Miss Sullivan I am only giving you some advice. It is entirely up to you on whether or not you take it.”

“Well actually Mr Luthor you weren’t giving me advice you were telling me that you *wanted* me to stay away from Mr Wayne, without giving me any reason good or bad.”

“Bruce Wayne isn’t all that he seems,” said Lex.

“That’s a pretty lame reason. You are not all that you seem either. And you haven’t warned me off talking to you,” retorted Chloe. “Anyway like I’ve been saying over and over, it’s just an interview, jeez you’d swear I was going to sleep with him the way you’re going on.”

‘Over my cold dead body,’ thought Lex to the idea of Bruce and Chloe together in that way. “I’d like to think that we were friends, sort of anyway and I’m just expressing concern.”

“If that’s how you express concern, by *telling* me not to, I’d hate to see you actually demand that I don’t,” said Chloe, a hint of anger in her voice. ‘The nerve of the guy, who the hell does he think he is,’ she thought to herself.

‘This is not going well,’ thought Lex. “Fine Miss Sullivan have it your way, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Lex turned to walk away. “You know Mr Luthor,” shouted Chloe after him, “for someone who doesn’t like his life being poked into, you’ve got some nerve to go poking into mine.” Without giving him a chance to answer she got into her car and drove off.

“Well done Lex,” he murmured to himself as he got into his own car, “if there is one thing that makes Chloe Sullivan do something, it’s telling her that she can’t.” He put his car in drive and sped down the road. “First things first, I need to find out what the hell Bruce Wayne is doing in Smallville.”

“Well sir, how did it go? Was your *friend* happy to see you?”

“It went perfect, Lex was suitably addled, although he didn’t show it. But I know him well enough to know my presence here is unsettling to him.”

“Well sir, you’re booked into the local hotel, it’s not what you’re quiet use to but they have given you the best room.”

“Thank you David,” said Bruce settling back in his seat. “Let’s head there now, I need to make some calls.”

“Very well sir. How long do you plan on staying in Smallville I told the hotel two weeks initially, but that is might be a longer or shorter stay. That you were undecided.”

“I hadn’t planned on staying long other that to conduct my business and annoy Lex Luthor,” replied Bruce, “but something has caught my eye that may induce me to stay.”

“And what might *her* name be sir,” asked the driver with a smile.

“Chloe,” said Bruce, picturing the blonde reporter, “Chloe Sullivan. She’s only about seventeen, a reporter for the school newspaper, to which I’ve offered myself for an interview.”

“Of course sir,” said David with a grin.

“When we get to the hotel, find out what you can about Chloe Sullivan,” said Bruce.

“Yes sir.”

Chapter Four – Finding Out

“Come in,” said Bruce Wayne. The door opened and David walked in. “Mr Wayne, the information on Chloe Sullivan.”

“Ah yes,” said Bruce, “let’s hear it.”

“First off sir there isn’t a lot,” began David. “Chloe Sullivan age 17, born in Metropolis, moved to Smallville when she was seven. Her father, Gabe, is the plant manager at the Lex-Corp plant here in Smallville.”

“What about her mother?” interrupted Bruce.

“Nothing on her really. She walked out on Chloe and her dad and was one of the reasons the Sullivan’s moved here. She’s living in New York now, do you want me to get information on her?”

“No that’s ok David, I was just wondering. Please continue.”

“Miss Sullivan is editor of the high-school newspaper ‘The Torch’, a position she is very proud of. The young lady has real desires to be a reporter, spent the summer gone interning at the Planet. She has rather wild theories about the after effects of the meteor storm that hit this town. She has in her office a ‘Wall of Weird’ documenting some of Smallville’s more *interesting* characteristics. Her best friends are Clark Kent and Pete Ross, she’s friendly with Lana Lang, and her acquaintance with Lex Luthor is through Mr Kent’s friendship with them both.”

“Is that it?”

“Well she’s had quite an action filled year. During an interview with Mr Luthor earlier in the year, thieves broke in and Miss Sullivan fell from a window, breaking her arm. She was kidnapped by a cop who wanted the glory for finding her, and buried in a ‘coffin’ until she was rescued Mr Kent.”

“MMMM interesting,” muttered Bruce. “David, who does she remind you of?” he asked after a moment.

The older man thought for a minute before answering. “She’s very like Rebecca sir.”

“Yes she is, although I do believe Miss Sullivan has even more fire in her than Becky.” The younger man was silent for a while, lost in his thoughts. Bruce physically shook himself to clear his mind. He picked up a folder from the table and handed it to David. “These are a couple of the business opportunities here in Smallville that I might be interested in, nothing may come of them, but they do give me a more public reason for hanging around. Check them out for me please.”

“Yes sir,” said the older man, taking the folder.

“That will be all for the moment David.” When he had left, Bruce picked up the file on Chloe. He had been thinking about the reporter since meeting her in the coffee shop earlier. As he looked at her picture he wondered why Luthor hadn’t staked his claim on her. Oh Bruce knew that Lex Luthor was usually associated with brunettes, money-grabbing ones at that, but Bruce knew that Lex had lost his heart to a blonde once. The same blond that had taken his heart as well. He sighed deeply before picking up the phone and making some calls.

Chloe was still fuming by the time she got home. Between Bruce Wayne’s superior attitude, Clark’s holier than thou one and Lex Luthor *telling* her to stay away from Bruce she was almost at boiling point.

“Who the hell do they think they are?” she muttered as she made her way to her bedroom. “Two billionaires who have absolutely no bearing or input into my life. And then Clark, my *best friend*, the nerve of him. Bet you if I was brunette, had the initials LL and a tragic life to moan about he wouldn’t have been such a…such a bitch about it, for want of a better word.”

“Chloe who are you talking too?”

“Oops sorry dad, I was just venting to myself,” she called out.

“I bet ears are burning around Smallville,” her dad called back.

“Well a few will be,” she said leaving her room and heading out to her dad.

“Who has upset you?” Gabe asked as Chloe leaned against the door.

“Everybody and anybody,” she said with a small smile. “Oh guess who I met today? Bruce Wayne.”

“Would you still like me to guess?” her father joked. Chloe rolled her eyes at him, “he was in the Talon earlier,” she continued, “he’s knows Lex Luthor, they were in the same school or something.”

“Jeez two billionaires in Smallville,” said Gabe.

“I know, I said the same thing. Oh and get this, they really don’t like each other.”

“And have you found out why they don’t,” he teased, knowing full well that his daughter would dig and dig till she found something.

“Not yet dad, but Bruce Wayne has *agreed* to give me an interview, so I plan ask him,” she said.

Gabe groaned slightly, already feeling sorry for Bruce. “So when is this grilling, I mean interview going to take place?”

Chloe grinned at his choice of words. “I haven’t arranged it yet,” she said. “I want to do some research first, you know get some ammunition.”

“Just try not to get sued,” said Gabe, his tone half-serious.

“I will do my best,” laughed Chloe heading back to her room. Gabe shook his head and smiled as he watch his daughter walk off.

Chloe got back to her room and lay down on the bed staring up at the ceiling. ‘Ok Sullivan,’ she thought, ‘big job for tomorrow is to research Bruce Wayne.’ She found herself thinking about the Gotham City billionaire. ‘Very attractive,’ she thought, ‘although I do think Lex Luthor is far sexier.’ She sat up, “ok when did I start thinking that Lex Luthor was sexy,” she murmured. “But if I had to choose between the two of them I would definitely go for…” She trailed off to answer the phone.

“Hello Chloe here.”

“Chloe hi, it’s Lex Luthor.”

“Mr Luthor, what can I do for you?” she asked trying to keep the surprise out of her voice.

“I wanted to apologise for earlier, I realise that I came across slightly heavy handed,” he said.

“Slightly,” said Chloe, “I think it was a tad more than that.”

“Maybe,” said Lex. “Let me rephrase then, I think it would be prudent of you to stay away from Bruce Wayne, even if it is just an interview.”

“Well Mr Luthor thank you for the…*advice*,” said Chloe.

“But you’re not going to pay any attention to it are you?”

“No,” replied Chloe. “Unless you can give me a valid reason too. Which I don’t think you are going to do.”

“Very well Chloe,” he said. “I’ll say goodbye then.”

She was slightly taken aback, Lex Luthor giving up so easily; the world must be about to end. “Ok Mr Luthor thanks for the call. Bye.” She hung up the phone. “Ok,” she said, “I have *got* to find out what happened between them.”

“Damn it, damn it,” said Lex after he hung up his phone, “now you’ve made things even worse.” His phone rang, “what?” he barked into it.

“Mr Luthor, it’s Parker, you left a message for me.”

“Bruce Wayne is in Smallville, I want to know why,” said Lex, “and I want to know immediately.”

“Consider it done Mr Luthor,” said Parker and hung up.

“The sooner I find out why he’s here,” said Lex, “the sooner I can get rid of him.

Chapter Five – Lines Drawn

Lex tried to concentrate on his work but he was more concerned about why Bruce was in Smallville. “Damn him,” he muttered. Lex didn’t know what it was about him, as a Luthor Lex had perfected the art of wearing masks and showing no emotion. At the moment his father was the only person who could still get a reaction out of him. But there was something about Bruce Wayne that really pissed Lex off.

Lex thought back to when they were at school together. They had been two richest guys in the place who did everything within their power to get one over on each other. He knew that he was an arrogant smug bastard most of the time, but Bruce could be just as bad. But because of Lex’s reputation as a *bad boy* that followed him to the school most people tended to side with Bruce, not that Lex cared but it just made the little bit more difficult to get one over on the other billionaire.

And now he was in Smallville, and he’d met Chloe Sullivan. The others, including Chloe, hadn’t seen it, but Lex saw the flash in Bruce’s eyes when he had been introduced to her. He ran a hand over his head and a vision of another little blonde that he had known filtered into mind. A sad smile appeared on Lex’s face.

“Mr Luthor,” the maid interrupted, “there is a Mr Parker here to see you.”

“Send him in please,” said Lex, returning to the seat behind his desk.

Moments later a rather shady looking man entered the office. “Mr Luthor, how are you?”

“I’ve been better Parker. So what have you got for me?” he asked.

“Not much, he’s been looking into a couple of business ventures but I think that’s just for show. He’s staying at the hotel on the outskirts of Smallville; he’s taken a couple of rooms. The only other person with him is his driver David and other than that he’s keeping quiet. Oh one thing was he had his assistant get him information on some girl called Chloe Sullivan. Do you want me to look into her?”

“No that’s not necessary,” replied Lex. ‘He definitely has his eye on Chloe,’ he thought.

“So do you want me to still keep an eye on Mr Wayne?” asked Parker.

“Yes,” said Lex, “and let me know everything and anything you find out, no matter no small or insignificant it may seem. I don’t believe for one moment that Bruce Wayne came to Smallville on a whim or just for a *vacation*.”

“Sure thing Mr Luthor, as soon as I find anything out I’ll let you know.” And with that he left.

Chloe sat huddled over her laptop at the back of the Talon, she was surfing the net for information on Bruce Wayne. “God he gives loads of interviews and tells absolutely nothing,” she mumbled.

Most of what she had found had centred on Wayne Enterprises and all the charity work he did. There were of course the obligatory columns on the society pages usually accompanied with pictures of him and various drop-dead gorgeous blond women.

She still hadn’t been able to find out anything about what went on when he was at school with Lex. But she wouldn’t give up, there was something between them and she intended to find out what it was.

“May I join you?” a deep voice sounded. Chloe looked up to see Bruce Wayne standing there.

“Yeah sure,” she said, closing her laptop. He sat down in the seat opposite her, “I hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“No not at all, I was just doing some work for the Torch,” she replied.

“Ah yes, I managed to get my hands on a couple of editions, you are a very good writer Chloe.”

“Thank you Mr Wayne,” she said, smiling at him.

“Bruce,” he corrected. “Do many others share your theories about the meteorites?”

“Not really,” she sighed, “although Lex Luthor has expressed an interest.”

‘I bet he has,’ thought Bruce.

“So how are you finding Smallville?” she asked.

“I didn’t realise the interview would take place so soon,” he teased. “Jeez you are as bad as Mr Luthor,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Every time I ask him a question about anything he automatically assumes its part of an interview.”

“I am *nothing* like Lex Luthor,” he said.

“Really,” she said with a grin, “well I beg to differ.”

“Please do continue,” he said, grinning back at her.

“Ok you’re both young, very rich, like to be seen with some supermodel on your arm,” she began. “Drive flashy cars, successful businessmen, dress in designer clothes. And you both have that smug superior attitude.”

Bruce straightened in his chair; he hated being compared to Lex in any way. “That maybe the public perception Miss Sullivan, but I assure you, Luthor and I are very different.”

“Oh and you both call me Miss Sullivan when I say something you don’t like,” she said with a smile.

“Ok, ok, enough of the comparisons,” he said. “But I’ll prove to you that we are nothing alike.”

“So back to my original question, which has nothing to do with an interview,” she said. “How are you finding Smallville?”

Bruce smiled at her; “I’m finding it better and better.”

“Yeah it does sort of grow on you.” They sat in silence for a moment. “Do you know Lex Luthor well?” he asked. “Not really, I only know him through Clark, they are quite good friends.” And they continued chatting.

Lex parked outside the Talon, just as he was heading in he saw Chloe and Bruce chatting. ‘I guess she is going to ignore me,’ he thought.

He went in and headed over to the counter. “Hi Lex,” said Lana, “what can I get you?”

“Just a black coffee please Lana. So how long have they been talking?” he asked casually, glancing over at Chloe and Bruce.

“Not long. Chloe has been here a while working on her laptop and Mr Wayne came in about ten minutes ago and headed straight over to her. Here’s your coffee.”

“Thank you,” he replied, putting the money on the counter. Lana moved away to serve another customer and Lex watched Chloe out of the corner of his eye.

Chloe glanced at her watch, “damn,” she muttered. “My apologies Mr Wayne but I have to get going I need to run an errand for my dad.”

“Of course,” he said, a little disappointed. “You will call to arrange that interview soon.”

“I will, it’s been nice talking to you,” she said, flashing him a Chloe grin.

“Yes it has,” he replied sincerely. “Till next time.”

“Bye.” And she hurried out of the Talon. She was no sooner gone when Bruce got up and headed over to the counter. “She really is rather charming,” he said to Lex. “And I’d say quite a firebrand when she gets going.”

Lex knew he was trying to goad him. “She’s far too intelligent get involved with someone like you,” he said.

“Is that a hint of jealously that I hear Lex. Did she turn you down? Oh I forgot *you* only go for brunettes.”

“There is nothing like that between Miss Sullivan and myself, she is a *friend* and that’s it,” replied Lex. ‘I wish there *was* more,’ he added silently. “I don’t know why you are here Bruce, but I’m telling you now, leave my friends alone.”

“I have no interest in *your* friends Lex,” replied Bruce smugly.

Lex was about to reply when Chloe came back in and headed over to the counter. “Everything ok Chloe,” asked Lex. “No,” she said, “my stupid car won’t start. I’ve been trying for ages.”

“I’m heading now,” he said, before Bruce could say anything. “I can give you a ride home.”

“Really, thanks Mr Luthor,” she said gratefully.

“It’s no problem Chloe, let’s go.”

“Bye again Mr Wayne,” she said to Bruce. Lex placed his hand on the small of Chloe’s back as they walked towards the door, and before they left he turned and smirked at Bruce.

Chapter Six – First Moves

“Chloe Sullivan,” she said answering the phone.

“Hey Chlo, it’s Mark here.”

“Hi Mark, thanks for getting back to me,” she said, “Listen, remember that favour I did for you?”

“You want to call in your favour,” said Mark with a small laugh. “Don’t you?”

“Yes. I want you to find out all you can about what happened when Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne were at the Belfield private school. I want to know everything, down to what classes they shared and who they knew. Wasn’t your uncle there or something?”

“My uncle was a janitor. Is that all you want?” he joked.

“Can you do it?” she asked.

“I’ll do my best Chloe. Give me a few days to see what I can come up with.”

“Ok thanks Mark.” “Bye Chlo.” “Bye,” and she hung up the phone.

“You have two days Mark,” she murmured. “I really need to organise that interview with Bruce Wayne.”

When Lex had dropped her home a couple of days ago there was no mention of Bruce at all. In fact Lex went out of his way *not* to mention the other billionaire at all. He talked about the Torch and the plant, in all he was almost, chatty.

And as much as both Lex and Bruce disliked each other, Chloe didn’t think either of them would be the first to tell her or anyone what had happened between them. Chloe had several theories on what had occurred between them. But until she had gathered more information she wasn’t quite ready to give voice to those theories.

“Bruce Wayne,” she murmured, “why are you in Smallville?” He was as suave and sophisticated as Lex, but also he wasn’t afraid to show emotion like Lex was. And he was a very handsome man. But despite all that Chloe didn’t think he was anywhere near as sexy as Lex Luthor was. ‘Not that *I* would ever stand a chance with either of them,’ she thought.

“Ok,” she suddenly exclaimed to the empty Torch office. “Reality check Chloe. I am *not* interested in Bruce Wayne or Lex Luthor, and even if for one millisecond I was, there is no way on earth that either would be interested in me. But since *I’m* not interested, it doesn’t matter.”

That conclusion reached she sat back down in her chair. The door opened suddenly and there stood Bruce Wayne.

“Mr Wayne,” gasped Chloe, “what are you doing here?”

“I had a meeting with your principal about donating some science equipment,” he said walking into the office. “And decided to drop by and say hello.”

“Donating science equipment Mr Wayne,” said Chloe with a grin. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that Mr Luthor donated computers earlier in the year.”

‘Damn,’ thought Bruce. “Nonsense Miss…Chloe, I have donated science equipment to many schools around the country.”

Chloe heard his slip on almost calling her ‘Miss Sullivan,’ so she knew she had hit a nerve, but she said nothing about it. “Well that is extremely generous of you,” she said.

Bruce smirked at her. ‘Cute,’ she thought, ‘but not as sexy as Lex’s smirk…STOP IT.’

“Are you ok Chloe?” he asked as he watched her have some sort of an internal argument.

“What? Sorry yes,” she said. “My brain runs away on me sometimes.”

“So no other staff on the paper,” he said as she moved closer to her desk. “There are others,” she replied, “but putting together the edition and writing the editorial is done by me. And I like to do it when school is over and the place is quiet.”

Bruce sat on the edge of her desk, his hand close to hers. “Am I going to gave to wait long for this interview Chloe?” he asked softly.

“I have never met anyone so *eager* to be interviewed as you are Mr Wayne.”

“What can I say Chloe? I’m dying for you to *nail* me with questions.”

Chloe felt a slight heat flood her cheeks. Bruce’s hand brushed against hers as he leaned closer. She lifted her eyes and found his face mere inches from hers. Her eyes widened.

‘Beautiful,’ thought Bruce. Just as he was about to move his head to close the distance between them, the door opened.

“Hey Chlo, sorry I’m…” Clark trailed off when he saw Bruce Wayne sitting on Chloe’s desk, and her face slightly flushed.

“Clark hey,” said Chloe feeling a little relieved.

“I’ll say my goodbyes Chloe,” said Bruce and made his way out the door. “What did he want?” asked Clark when the older man had gone.

“He was just asking about the interview,” replied Chloe. “So why are you here?”

Clark handed a disk over to Clark. “My article,” he said. “Sorry it’s late.”

Chloe rolled her eyes at him. “Clark your articles are *always* late,” she laughed.

“Yeah well I was helping Lana and kind of forgot about it,” said Clark with a sheepish grin.

‘Now there’s a surprise,’ she thought. “Clark, has Lex said anything about Bruce Wayne?”

“No nothing,” said Clark. “And I mean that literally Chloe. Any time I mention Bruce’s name Lex would give me this ‘say that name again and I might have to hurt you’ look. Well as I said there is my article, now I gotta go.”

“Yeah sure, thanks Clark. I’ll see you at the Talon in about an hour.”

“Bye Chlo.”

As it turned out it was nearer to three hours by the time Chloe had finished up and left the school.

“Coffee, coffee, coffee,” she murmured as she made her way to the door. Not looking where she was going she bumped into someone.

“Oops,” she said and felt herself falling only to be prevented by a pair of strong arms encircling around her waist.

“Are you ok?” said Lex, his eyes twinkling.

“I’m sorry Mr Luthor,” she said, “I didn’t see you.”

“No damage done Chloe,” he said, his arms still around her waist. “What has you in such a rush?”

“Badly needed caffeine fix,” she said with a grin. ‘MMMM this feels nice,’ she thought, as her hands rested on his arms.

“Well far be it from me to keep Chloe Sullivan from her coffee,” he said with a smirk. “Wouldn’t want to deprive you of your *needs*.”

“That’s ok Mr Luthor,” she said softly.

“Excuse me,” a voice sounded behind Lex. Reluctantly he released Chloe to allow the person behind him to get out the door.

“Well again sorry for bumping into you,” she said.

“Anytime Chloe,” he replied, “good evening.”

“Bye.” And he walked off to his car. Chloe sighed and headed inside for her coffee.

“Back to the hotel now please David,” said Bruce from the back of his limo. He had watched the entire scene with Lex and Chloe.

“Just friends indeed,” he murmured. “Who were you trying to convince with that statement Luthor?” And he hit the button to close the window and sat back as the car made it’s way back to the hotel.

ruafair
19th April 2003, 00:39
Chapter Seven – Breakthrough

“You have one message,” the machine said. Chloe pressed the ‘play’ button.

[Chloe, it’s Mark. I’ve gotten as much information for you as I could. But believe me it’s not much. There seems to be some sort of code of silence around the school. I did get the names of some ex-school friends of both Luthor and Wayne who were there at the same time. Who knows maybe you’ll have more luck talking to them. I put all the data in a pack and sent it to you; you should receive it today. Like I said it’s not much but I hope it helps. Give me a call when you get a chance and we’ll go for a coffee. All the best and take care. Bye.]

She hit the stop button and pick up the large envelope that sat on her desk. “Thank you Mark,” she murmured. She stuffed the envelope into her bag and headed out of the office and the school to her car.

Chloe got into her car and started it, but there was nothing, “Oh please, not this again,” she muttered, turning the key in the ignition again. The still showed no sign of life. She got out and kicked the wheel. “Stupid piece of crap,” she yelled at it, and kicked it again.

“Problems Miss Sullivan.” Chloe whipped around to see a smirking Lex Luthor standing there.

“Jeez Mr Luthor, what was your first clue?” she retorted.

Lex’s smirk grew.

“And if you say ‘car trouble’ I’ll kick you,” she added. This remark caused Lex to laugh out loud.

“Can I help?” he asked.

“Well, do you know anything about cars?”

Lex cocked an eyebrow at her. He took off his jacket and rolled the sleeves of his shirt up. “Pop the bonnet,” he said, handing his jacket to Chloe. She did as he asked and Lex buried his head underneath it. Chloe moved around beside him, and found her gaze travel down the length of his body. ‘Wow, he has a great ass,’ she thought, and just about stopped herself from reaching a hand out.

“Damn it,” she heard him mutter. “Are you ok?” she asked.

“Fine, fine.” And then after a minute, “try it now Chloe.”

She ran around to the driver’s side and turned the key, the car jumped to life. Lex stood up and closed the bonnet; Chloe looked at him and started laughing.

“What?” he asked confused. She got out and made her way over to him. “Sorry to laugh Mr Luthor,” she began, “but you have some oil on your face.”

“Where?” he asked, moving his hand to face and smearing it a little more.

“Let me,” she said, taking a tissue from her pocket. She moved closer to him and began wiping the oil from his cheek. Lex watched her face as she concentrated on the task in hand.

‘So smooth,’ she thought as her fingers grazed his cheek. She got all the oil off and looked up to find him staring intently at her. “All done,” she whispered, moving her hand away. Lex grabbed it and kissed her knuckles gently. “Thank you Chloe.”

“Well…em…thanks for fixing my car, I’d better be going,” she said, moving away from him.

“Wait,” he said, coming over to her. He leaned in close and Chloe took a deep breath. “My jacket,” he whispered with a smirk, taking it from her arm.

“Thanks again Mr Luthor,” and she got into her car. She waved at him and drove off. Lex smiled after her till she was out of sight and then headed over to his own car.

“Ok,” she said to herself as she drove home. “How come all my *meetings* with Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne have become so, well, intense? And much more frequent, particularly with Lex. Since Bruce Wayne showed up I’ve seen more of Lex Luthor than in all the time before since I first met him.”

She sighed deeply as she pulled into the driveway of her house. She grabbed her bag and headed inside. The house was quiet; her father was not home from work yet. She made herself a large cup of coffee and went upstairs to her room.

Settling herself on the bed, her cup of coffee close at hand, Chloe pulled the envelope Mark had sent her out of her bag. “Let’s see what we’ve got,” she said, tearing it open.

A few class lists of names fell out along with some articles from the school’s newspaper.

{Belfield welcomes Luthor heir}, one headline said, and it was accompanied by a picture of Lex. Chloe smiled, as she looked at an eighteen year old Lex. “Wow, he looked even more smug and arrogant then,” she muttered.

{Luthor beats Wayne in presidential election}, said another. “I don’t believe for one moment that they hate each other over a lost school election.” This time the picture was of a very smug looking Lex and a rather pissed off Bruce.

As she was rummaging through some papers a photograph fell out. Chloe picked it up, on the back was a note from Mark:

[Chloe, couldn’t find out who the girl maybe you’ll do better…Mark.]

Chloe turned the photo over. There, looking at her, were the three smiling faces of Bruce Wayne, Lex Luthor and some girl that looked around their age. She had shoulder length blonde hair and stood in the middle of the two men. All three looked so happy. Chloe marvelled at how a smile completely lit up Lex’s face.

“I wonder who she is,” she murmured. “She’s very beautiful, did she come between the two of them?”

Chloe continued to stare at the photograph, knowing she had to find out who the girl was. She couldn’t go to Lex or Bruce and just ask them, well not yet. “Maybe I could get in contact with some of the others who went to school with them,” she mused, picking up a list of ex-class mates.

“But first things first.” Chloe picked up her phone and dialled the number Bruce gave her.

After a few rings an answering machine kicked in. She waited patiently for the message to finish.

“Mr Wayne this is Chloe Sullivan, I am just calling to confirm our interview. Can you call me back with a time that is suitable for you?” She left her number and hung up.

She picked up the photo again, “who are you?” she whispered at the blonde girl.

Bruce Wayne smiled to himself as he sat there and listened to Chloe leave her message. “Excellent,” he said. “Let’s make this an interview to remember Chloe.”

Chapter Eight – Round Two

It had been almost two days since Chloe had left the message on Bruce’s phone, and she had still heard nothing back from him. “God he was the one, who wanted the interview so badly,” she muttered as she made her way to the counter. On top of that she hadn’t had much luck getting any of their old school mates to talk to her, but she wasn’t going to give up.

“Hi Chloe,” said Lana.

“Lana hi. Can I get a latte please? A large one.”

“Sure thing,” said Lana and turned to get Chloe’s order, coming back a minute later. “Thanks Lana.”

“Hey Chlo,” said Pete coming up beside her, “have you interviewed Bruce Wayne yet?”

“No, he hasn’t returned my call, typical says he wants to do an interview and then chickens out with the moment of truth arrives,” she said. “Anyway how come you’re so interested in Bruce Wayne?”

“Hey any guy that can piss Lex Luthor off is ok in my books,” replied Pete with a grin. Chloe rolled her eyes at him, “you don’t even know Bruce Wayne, hell you don’t even know Lex Luthor and yet you’re still willing to take somebody else’s side over Lex.”

“Since when did you become president of the Luthor fan club?”

Chloe glared at him. “I just think you need to get over this ‘Lex Luthor’ thing you have Pete, I mean since he’s been in Smallville he hasn’t really done anything, and it was his *father* who screwed your family over.”

“Done nothing,” spat out Pete. “How about taking all of Clark’s time and if I remember even *you* got pissed about that. The trouble with Jonathan Kent’s cattle, you falling out of a window, for starters.”

“Yes I was upset over Clark spending some much time with Lex when they first became friends but hey who am I to tell someone who they can or can’t be friends with. As it turned out Lex had nothing to do with the cattle dying and reimbursed Mr Kent very generously, which he turned down. And as for my swan dive out the window that was in no way Lex’s fault.”

“It would not of happened had you not been there Chloe.”

“Ok Pete and could you come up with lamer excuse. It wasn’t Lex’s fault that a bunch of thieves decided to break in on the very night he had agreed to be interviewed. And anyway if I hadn’t of been snooping around I might not of ended up in hospital.”

“I can not believe that you and I Chloe are arguing over Lex Luthor.”

“We are not arguing Pete we a just having a difference of opinion,” she said with a small grin. She didn't want to argue with Pete but his whole ‘I hate Lex Luthor’ tirade was getting on her nerves. Although it came nowhere close to Lana Lang’s bemoaning of her parents, yes Chloe knew the girl had lost her parents and it was tragic, but please did she have to keep going on and on about it.

“Well then Chlo, we’ll agree to disagree,” said Pete.

“I’ll agree with that,” replied Chloe with a smile. Just then Clark and Lex arrived in and made their over to where Chloe and Pete where. After hellos were exchanged Lex turned to Chloe.

“So how is your car running?” he asked.

“It’s hanging on,” she replied, “I do need to get it sorted out, but thanks for fixing it. I never knew you were such a mechanic.”

“I have many talents Chloe,” he said with a smirk.

“I bet you do,” she murmured, and then blushed when she realised that Lex had heard what she had said.

“Oh great,” she heard him mumble, and looked over to see Bruce Wayne entering the Talon. Chloe glared at the dark-haired billionaire as he made his way over to them.

“Hello everyone,” said Bruce, “and Lex.”

Pete grinned at this. “I don’t believe we’ve met,” said Bruce, holding out his hand. “Bruce Wayne.”

“Pete Ross,” said Pete, shaking it.

“Actually Mr Wayne, you and Pete have a lot in common,” said Chloe, “you both, *dislike* Mr Luthor, maybe the two of you could compare notes.”

Clark and Lana gasped, while Lex just smiled at Chloe and was rewarded with her smiling back at him.

“Chloe,” said Clark.

“What?” she replied, “It’s the truth isn‘t it? And I don’t think Mr Luthor is that upset. Are you?” she asked turning to Lex.

“I’m distraught Chloe,” he said with a grin. Chloe grinned back at him, “oh yes I can tell, forgive me for upsetting you.” And both of them laughed. Chloe missed the glare that Bruce directed at Lex in response to their bantering, but Lex didn’t miss it.

“Well Chloe,” said Bruce, “the reason I’m here is to discuss our interview.”

“Oh and it’s taken you two days to respond,” she retorted, “I thought you couldn’t wait to be interviewed.”

“My apologies Chloe, but I had some plans to make before hand.”

“What? Consult with your lawyers?”

“Not at all. So how does tomorrow evening sound?” he asked, “Would you be available then?”

Chloe was slightly shocked, but quickly answered, “Yes tomorrow is fine. What time, and will the Torch office be ok?”

“7.30pm, but not the Torch office, I was thinking of the ‘Neo’ restaurant at the hotel.”

“You want to have the interview while you’re eating dinner,” exclaimed Chloe.

“No I want to do the interview while *you and I* are having dinner,” replied Bruce with a smile, which grew wider as he saw the expression on Lex’s face.

“Ok, stop, rewind,” said Chloe, “Mr Wayne are you asking me to dinner to conduct the interview.”

“Yes,” replied Bruce.

“Why?” asked Chloe.

“Why not?” retorted Bruce. “I thought it would be nice to conduct the interview in a pleasant environment, and I always enjoy the company of a beautiful woman.”

Chloe shook her head, ‘this is too weird,’ she thought. “Ok 7.30pm tomorrow it is,” she said.

“Excellent, I’ll pick you up and 7.00pm.”

“There is no need for that Mr Wayne, I can make my own way to the restaurant,” said Chloe.

“Nonsense, I *will* pick you up on 7.00pm,” said Bruce, “well that’s settled so I'll say goodbye. Chloe I look forward to tomorrow.” And with that he left. Clark, Lana and Pete stood looking confused at each other, Chloe was still in slight shock, and Lex was trying to glare two holes into the back of Bruce Wayne’s head.

“I need to go,” muttered Lex and hurried out after Bruce.

“Wow Chloe, dinner with Bruce Wayne,” said Lana, a hint of jealousy in her voice. “And that’s quite an exclusive restaurant he’s taking you too.”

Realisation dawned on her. “Oh shit,” said Chloe, “I need to find something to wear.”

“Wayne,” said Lex. Bruce stopped in his tracks and turned to face Lex.

“What are you playing at?” asked Lex.

“Nothing Luthor, I’m just asking a very attractive woman to dinner,” replied Bruce with a smug look on his face. It took all of Lex’s self-control not too punch him.

Bruce’s limo pulled up beside time and the driver got out to open the door, Bruce slid in and closed the door, opening the window and looking at Lex.

“Oh by the way Lex,” he said, “I believe that’s round two to me.” And with that the car took off.

“Bastard,” hissed Lex and headed to his own car.

Chapter Nine – It’s *Not* A Date

Lex hadn’t slept well, the thought of Bruce and Chloe together was giving him nightmares. Sighing deeply he headed to his office. As he opened the door he saw Parker sitting there.

“Mr Luthor, you rang,” the man said.

Lex rounded the desk and sat in his chair. “Have you come up with anything yet?” he asked.

“Not a jot,” replied Parker, “Wayne has been doing nothing since he’s been here. Like I said before he’s looked into some business ventures but nothing has come of them. He usually spends his time at the hotel or in that coffee shop in town. Oh and I have seen him coming out of the local high school a couple of times.”

‘Yes and no prizes for guessing who he went there to see,’ thought Lex. What was Bruce’s interest in Chloe? ‘Well,’ an inner voice spoke up, ‘she’s smart, sexy, funny, beautiful, pretty much all the qualities that any man would want in a woman.’

“You ok Mr Luthor?” asked Parker.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” replied Lex. “I think you might need to go to Gotham and see if there is anything there.”

“Cool a trip, when do you want me to leave?”

“Not for a few days, I have something else that I want you to do for me tonight,” said Lex. Last night Lex had decided that *someone* needed to keep an eye on Bruce and Chloe’s *interview* and while he couldn’t do it himself, that didn’t mean he couldn’t get someone else to.

“Parker I want you to keep an eye on Bruce Wayne tonight. He’s having dinner at the ‘Neo’ restaurant.”

“Will he be alone?”

“No, he will be accompanied by a young woman. I want you to watch them and tell me everything that happens and if they go anywhere afterwards.”

“She a *friend* of yours.”

“That’s not your concern, I just want to know what transpires between them. If you can manage to listen in on the conversation, well that would be even better. But I want to know what happens.”

“Sure Mr Luthor, whatever you say.”

“He has a table booked for 7.30pm, I want you there before he arrives.” Lex opened one of the drawers on his desk and took out a wad of money and threw it at Parker. “This should take care of all your *expenses* for the night. And I want your report tonight, and not tomorrow. Is that clear?”

“Crystal clear Mr Luthor,” replied Parker.

“Well I suggest you go get yourself a tuxedo Mr Parker,” said Lex with a smirk.

The other man left and Lex leaned back in his chair. ‘Why should I really care about whom Bruce Wayne has dinner with?’ he thought. ‘Well normally I wouldn’t but it’s Chloe.’ Lex sighed again, he had a bad feeling about tonight’s *dinner date* and couldn’t really fathom why.

“No that won’t do, and neither will that,” said Chloe as she continued to throw clothes over her shoulder. She rummaged deeper into her closet skirts, pants and dresses flying over her head and landing on the bed and the floor.

She stood up and turned around to survey the damage. “Damn it looks like a hurricane hit this place,” she muttered.

There was a knock on her bedroom door, “come on in dad.”

Gabe stepped in and his eyes widened at the sight. “Chloe, what are you doing?”

“I’m trying to find something to wear,” she stated. “I’m interviewing Bruce Wayne tonight and I need to dress up.”

“Chloe, since when have you *dressed up* to conduct an interview.”

“Since the interviewee wants to take me to dinner at a fancy restaurant so we can have the interview,” replied Chloe as she once again began rummaging in her closet.

“What?” asked a confused Gabe, “Chloe what are you talking about?”

Chloe sighed and turned to face her dad again. “Bruce Wayne wants to have the interview at the ‘Neo’ restaurant tonight, and as a result I need to find something suitable to wear. And I have to find it quickly because he’ll be here at 7.00pm to pick me up.”

“And you were planning on telling me this when?” said Gabe.

“I just did,” replied Chloe.

“Chloe, I think my daughter going on a dinner date with Bruce Wayne is quite important.”

“Dad, it’s *not* a date,” exclaimed Chloe. “It’s just conducting an interview under different circumstances than what I’m use too.”

“I know, I know,” said Gabe; “I’m just teasing. Well I’ll leave you to get ready.” He left the room but before he closed the door he turned to Chloe again, “oh and sweetheart I want to meet him before you go on your date.”

“DAD,” she said exasperated, as Gabe laughed.

“Sir are you ready to leave?” asked David.

“One moment please David,” said Bruce as he adjusted his tie. “Ok ready now.”

The pair made their way to the limo, “David remind me tomorrow to organise getting the Porsche sent to Smallville.”

“Yes Mr Wayne,” he replied, opening the door for him.

Brice got in and David made his way around to the driver’s seat. “Miss Sullivan’s residence please,” said Bruce, and the car took off.

Lana, Clark and Pete were in the Talon. Clark glanced at the clock, 6.45pm. “Chloe’s interview will be starting soon,” he said.

“Wow Chloe Sullivan going out to dinner with Bruce Wayne,” said Lana with a sigh. “Lucky girl.”

“What do you mean?” asked Clark.

“Hello, gorgeous billionaire, fancy restaurant,” said Lana, “come on guys you can’t seriously believe he’s just taking her out for an interview.”

“Why else would he?” asked a confused Pete.

“Men,” mumbled Lana, rolling her eyes, and moved off to serve a customer.

Clark and Pete looked at each other, “Chloe and Bruce Wayne,” said Clark.

“Nah,” both men said, shaking their heads.

“Well what do you think?” said Chloe walking into the front room. She had decided on a long black wrap around silk skirt, that showed her legs when she walked, and a deep red silk halter-top, with a wrap of the same colour. She wore black strappy shoes that added a few inches to her height. Her hair was in full-on Chloe flippy mode and she had chosen subtle make-up.

“Wow honey, you look great,” said Gabe.

“Really?” she said, breathing a sigh of relief, “it’s ok?”

Gabe walked over to her and kissed her forehead, “you look beautiful Chloe.”

“Thanks dad,” she said smiling at him.

The doorbell rang, “I’ll get it,” said Gabe before Chloe could say anything.

Chloe grabbed her bag and put her tape recorder in it. There wasn’t room for a notebook, but she had all the questions she wanted to ask in her head. She took a deep breath and headed out to the front door, to see her dad and Bruce Wayne shaking hands.

‘Now there is a Kodak moment,’ she thought with a smile.

Bruce looked past Gabe when he saw Chloe appear. ‘Wow,’ he thought. “Chloe, you look…beautiful,” he said, holding his hand out to her.

She blushed and took it Bruce kissed hers gently. “Mr Sullivan, nice meeting you,” he said to Gabe.

“You too,” replied Gabe. Just before Chloe left he whispered in her ear, “don’t be too late sweetheart and have a good time. Oh and please Chloe don’t get sued," he added with a laugh.

“I’ll do my best dad,” she said kissing his cheek.

Gabe watched as one of the richest men in the country led his baby girl to the limo. He shook his head and closed the door. “Only my Chloe,” he murmured.

“David this is Chloe Sullivan,” said Bruce as he introduced her to the driver.

“Miss Sullivan,” said David.

“Hi,” she said, “and call me Chloe.”

Bruce sat close to her as the car made it’s way to the restaurant. Chloe turned to face him, “I hope you don’t mind that I’ll be recording the interview Mr Wayne, I couldn’t fit my notebook into my bag.”

“That’s fine Chloe, and please, if only for the duration of tonight, please call me Bruce.”

“Ok…Bruce,” she said and he smiled at her.

Lex was getting himself a second scotch when he glanced at the clock, 7.20pm. “They’ll be arriving at the restaurant now,” he muttered.

He knocked back the alcohol in one. “Fuck this,” he said and grabbed his jacket and keys, and decided to head to the Talon. It was either go to the Talon or remain at home and get very drunk.

Bruce helped Chloe out of the car and offered her his arm. She took it and they headed inside.

As the waiter led them to their table, Parker watched from his table. ‘Very nice,’ he thought as he looked Chloe over, ‘I can see why Luthor is interested in her.’

As Bruce and Chloe sat down Parker got himself comfortable to watch the proceedings. “Now this should be interesting,” he muttered.

Chapter Ten – The First Taste

Chloe just managed to prevent the gasp escaping from her lips when she saw the menu. ‘My God,’ she thought, ‘look at those prices. Boy I’m glad Bruce is paying, 5 years allowance wouldn’t be enough for me too.’ As she looked at the men she glanced up at Bruce every now and then. ‘He looks hot,’ she thought, ‘oops gotta stop thinking like that.’

“Chloe if I ask you to let me order the food for us, will you get upset and oh I don’t know punch me?” he asked with a smile.

She pretended to think about it for a moment. “Well, I think I can restrain my violent tendencies for the evening,” she replied with a smile.

“Just don’t *restrain* any other tendencies that you might have,” he said, smirking at her. Chloe brought the menu up higher of her face till she felt the blush subside.

‘So refreshing,’ thought Bruce. ‘And so unlike the women I usually meet.’

“Mr Wayne are you ready to order or would you like some more time?” said the waiter who suddenly appeared.

“Shall I?” Bruce asked Chloe.

“Go right ahead Bruce,” she replied with a smile.

Lex was on his second coffee and completely bored out of his mind. Oh he liked Clark and Lana to a certain degree, but without Chloe around the conversation, for him least, was in no way stimulating. At least with Chloe she challenged him and offered an intelligent insight into things.

But no, she wasn’t here, she was off having dinner and good knows what with Bruce *fucking* Wayne. ‘God I despise that man,’ he thought. ‘But the two of you did get on for a little while,’ an inner voice spoke up. Lex ran his hand over his head and tried to look like he was actually listening to Clark and Lana’s conversation.

‘That girl can…*twitter*,’ he thought about Lana. ‘And it’s usually about herself. How could Clark prefer her over Chloe?’

“So what do you think about it Lex?” asked Chloe.

“Pardon?” said Lex. “I’m sorry Clark, miles away, work has been keeping me busy and I’m quite tired,” he lied.

“That’s ok,” grinned Clark. “I was just asking what you thought about Chloe going to dinner with Bruce Wayne. Me and Pete think it’s nothing.”

“But I think that he might be interested in her,” said Lana.

Lex sighed and picked his jacket up. ‘Definitely time to go home and get drunk,’ he thought.

“Let me put it to you this way Clark,” he said, putting on his jacket. “Bruce Wayne does nothing by halves, the interview would have been just an excuse to ask Chloe out. And Chloe Sullivan is *exactly* the kind of woman he would be interested in.” ‘As I am,’ he added silently. And with that he left the Talon.

“Wow that as delicious,” said Chloe, leaning back in her seat.

“I take it you enjoyed that,” laughed Bruce. Dinner had been delightful, Bruce had learned how intelligent and funny, and completely charming Chloe Sullivan was and he found himself liking her more and more.

“MMMM yes.”

“Think you have room for dessert?”

“Mr Wayne, there is *always* room for dessert,” she said with a grin. “And we can conduct the interview during dessert, if that’s ok?”

“That will be perfect Chloe.”

“The dessert menu, madam, sir,” said the waiter, handing them both one.

Chloe glanced over it and her eyes widened. “I will have the butterscotch ice cream with hot chocolate sauce, topped with whipped cream please, oh and a coffee as well.”

“Very well madam,” replied the waiter taking her menu from, her. “And you Mr Wayne?”

“I will have the same,” he said, “including the coffee.”

“Right away sir,” said the waiter, hurrying off.

Parker left his table to answer his cell-phone.

“Well,” said Lex as way of a greeting.

“Hello to you too Mr Luthor,” replied Parker. “They are having dessert at the moment, although he’s looking at her like she’s the dessert,” he added with a laugh.

“Get back to me later,” said Lex, and hung up.

Parker shook his head and headed back to his table.

Chloe took out her tape recorder and placed it on the table between them. The waiter arrived with their desserts and coffees.

“MMM,” she moaned when she tasted the first spoonful. Liking her lips she attacked it again. Bruce groaned softly when he saw her tongue peek out.

Chloe took a deep breath and turned on the tape recorder. “Chloe Sullivan interviewing Bruce Wayne in a very swanky restaurant, add time and date in later. Mr Wayne why are you in Smallville?”

“Ah straight to the point Chloe, I like that,” he smirked. “I’m here to look into some new business ventures for Wayne Enterprises.”

“And since when has Wayne Enterprises been interested in agriculture?” asked Chloe. “Smallville is predominantly a farming town. The Luthor-Corp plant provides the bulk of the jobs.”

“As I said I’m looking at new ventures.”

“Nice vague answer Mr Wayne,” she said with a grin. “And how long are you planning to stay in town?”

“I haven’t decided yet, it depends on a few things.”

“Oh like your *business* ventures,” she said, “or how much you can piss Lex Luthor off.”

“The fact that *he* is in Smallville had nothing to do with me coming here.”

“Of course not Mr Wayne, Smallville is such a bustling, vibrant town, it’s only natural you would come here. It’s where *all* the hip young billionaires come,” she said sarcastically.

“Why Chloe, don’t you believe me?” he asked with a laugh.

“No,” she said, “I don’t believe for a moment that you are here for new business ventures as you call them. I think it has something to with Lex and the time you were at school together, but I’m not sure what it is yet. I do know it was nothing to do with you losing a school election to him.”

Bruce gasped softly when she mentioned the election, but soon composed himself. “I see you’ve done your homework Miss Sullivan.”

“Yes I have and I’ve obviously hit a nerve,” she replied.

“Touché,” said Bruce. “Chloe there is nothing secret or underhanded to me being in Smallville.

‘Liar,’ thought Chloe. ‘But I will find out why you are really here.’ She decided to let the subject drop till she found out who the girl in the photograph was.

She put that subject aside and started asking more general questions.

“Well thank you Bruce,” said Chloe an hour later as she switched off her tape recorder. “Ok you didn’t answer all my questions and were quite vague with some others but thanks anyway.”

“It was my pleasure Chloe,” he said honestly. “Here let me help you with that.” He took the wrap from her hands and draped it over her shoulders. “Thank you,” she said looking up at him.

He held out his arm and she took it, and the slowly made their way to the limo.

“Chloe, thank you for having dinner with me.”

“It was a wonderful night,” she replied. He leaned forward and brushed her lips gently with his.

Chloe gasped softly and Bruce kissed her again. Taking advantage of her slightly parted lips he slipped his tongue into her mouth. She rested her hands on his shoulders and moaned. Bruce’s hands found their way to her waist and he deepened the kiss. He tasted the ice cream and coffee she had earlier.

After a moment he pulled back and stared at her. “My last interview with a billionaire resulted in me ending up in hospital,” she whispered.

Bruce smiled at her and held the door open for her. As much as he wanted to take her to his hotel room and kiss her properly he knew it was far too early for that. Chloe slid in and Bruce got in after her, sitting close.

Parker watched as the car drove off and tucked the Polaroid’s he has just taken into his pocket. He got into his car and headed to Lex’s. “He’s going to be really pissed,” he murmured.

Chloe watched from her porch as Bruce’s Limo took off. She touched her fingers to her lips. He hadn’t kissed her again since the restaurant and Chloe found herself wishing he had.

“Bruce Wayne kissed me,” she said softly. “He didn’t answer all my questions, but he KISSED me.” Smiling to herself she went into her house.

“And what happened after they left the restaurant?” asked Lex.

Parker hesitated for a moment, knowing what he was going to say was really not what Lex wanted to hear.”

“Well Parker…”

“They…they kissed.”

“They WHAT?”

“It’s all in here Mr Luthor,” said Parker, handing Lex an envelope with the pictures in it. When he had taken it, Parker left the room quickly.

Lex took a deep breath and opened the envelope. As he looked at the pictures of Chloe being kissed by Bruce Wayne he let his emotions get the better of him. He picked up his glass and threw it against the wall. It smashed into pieces everywhere, a shard hitting him on the cheek and cutting him.

“DAMN IT,” he said loudly. “Damn Wayne.”

Chapter Eleven – All Is Not Lost

Lex woke up the following morning with a raging hangover. He swore loudly to himself as he made his way to the shower. He cursed his lack of control for letting Bruce get to him. But the image of him kissing Chloe wouldn’t leave Lex’s mind, no matter how much alcohol he consumed.

He stood under the pounding water, ignoring the fact it made his head throb more. “Why Chloe?” he whispered. “Why couldn’t Bruce have set his eye on someone else? And how could Chloe? Doesn’t she know how I feel about her?” ‘Of course she doesn’t, because you had never said anything or give any indication to your feelings,’ an inner voice spoke up.

“But that is beside the point,” he murmured as he switched off the water. Wrapping a towel around his waist he made his way back into his bedroom. Grabbing a small key from his dresser he unlocked a small drawer hidden at the back of the desk in the bedroom. He opened the drawer and pulled out a small-framed photograph.

Lex traced his finger over the face of the blonde woman who stood between himself and Bruce Wayne. “Rebecca,” he whispered. He stared at the picture for a moment and then pulled another photograph from the drawer. It was one of Chloe taken when she was unaware, chatting to Clark. Lex wondered briefly what Chloe would say if she knew he had this photo of her. He sighed deeply and placed both pictures in the drawer and locked it again, hiding the key in its usual spot.

Just as he had finished dressing the phone rang.

“Lex Luthor.”

“Ah Luthor, how are you on this fine morning?” a mocking Bruce Wayne asked.

“What do you want Wayne?” replied Lex.

“Oh nothing, I jut thought I’d ring to let you know my interview with Chloe ended much more pleasurable then your interview with her did. Much more pleasurable indeed.”

“What age are you Wayne? Fourteen? Aren’t you a little old for this ‘I’m better than you’ game,” replied Lex, injecting an air of boredom into his voice.

“Yes usually,” said Bruce, “but this was an opportunity too great to pass up.”

“And I’m sure Chloe would really appreciate you…bragging about how well the evening went,” retorted Lex. “In fact I think she’d be quite willing to never speak to you again if she knew.”

On the other end of the line Bruce was silent for a moment.

“Oh and Bruce,” said Lex, “just remember Chloe Sullivan is *not* Rebecca.” And he hung up before the other man had a chance to answer.

“Stew on that one you smug bastard,” said Lex, feeling a little better. Lex wouldn’t come straight out and tell Chloe what Bruce had said. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t have a little fun and maybe distort Chloe’s view of Bruce in the process.

He grabbed his car keys and headed out. Deciding coffee was in order to help with his hangover. And hopefully Chloe would be at the Talon as well.

“So Chloe how was dinner?” asked Lana as she handed the other girl a latte.

“It was fine,” replied Chloe. “The food was delicious, the company excellent, and the interview…average.” ‘And the kiss completely unexpected,’ she added silently.

“What do you mean, average?” asked Clark.

“Well, he was talkative enough, but still pretty vague. I still didn’t get a straight answer to why exactly he is in Smallville. Or what happened between him and Lex.”

“And you’re not going to quit until you do,” said Clark with a grin.

“You better believe it,” replied Chloe with a grin of her own.

“Ready to go Clark?” said his mother from the door.

“On my way mom,” replied Clark. “See you later Lana, Chloe.”

“Bye Clark,” said both girls.

“I’m gonna work on my article in the corner if that’s ok Lana?”

“No problem Chloe, it should be pretty quiet enough in here as well,” replied Lana with a smile.

Chloe settled herself in the corner. She placed her laptop on the table and set up her tape recorder. Adjusting the headphones she hit play and began typing her article.

“Hi Lex,” said Lana, “can I get you anything?”

“Lana,” he replied, “black coffee please. So no Clark around?”

“He was here earlier but headed off with his mom,” she said handing over his coffee. “But Chloe is over in the corner.”

Lex glanced over in the direction Lana was indicating. There sat Chloe huddled over her laptop, typing away. “What is Chloe drinking?” he asked.

“Latte,” replied Lana, “want me to get you one?”

Lex nodded. A moment later Lana placed the latte in front of him. Picking it up Lex made his way over to Chloe. He stood in front of her for a moment till she looked up. “Mr Luthor,” she said a little loudly, and then grinned and turned off the tape recorder.

“I hope I’m not distracting you?” he said.

“Well if that is for me,” she said pointing at the latte, “then you are most certainly not interrupting.”

“It is,” he said, placing the cups on the table and sitting in the seat opposite her. Chloe closed her laptop and eagerly took the coffee.

“How did your interview go?” he asked.

“Average,” she said. “He talks a hell of a lot more than you, but is just as vague.”

“So you didn’t find out why he was here in Smallville then?”

“No, he said, ‘new business ventures’ but I don’t believe that.”

“Well it is a pretty lame reason,” said Lex with a smirk.

Chloe grinned at him and then her expression changed. “Hey what happened to your cheek?” she asked, as she noticed the small cut on his normally flawless skin.

“It’s just a scratch,” he said. He could hardly tell her the truth of how he came about it.

“Nasty scratch,” she murmured and, for reasons she would never know, reached her hand out and gently brushed her thumb over it.

“Does it hurt?” she asked softly.

“Not now,” he replied just as softly.

Bruce stood just outside the Talon and saw the interplay between Lex and Chloe through the window. He couldn’t even blame Led for this little incident Chloe had touched him first. Despite the kiss they had shared the night before, Bruce knew that Chloe *liked* Lex. He could hear it in her voice every time she mentioned his name.

“Not too mater,” he murmured, “she likes me as well and Luthor would never act on any feelings he might for her. It wouldn’t be the Luthor way to show emotion.” He watched as Chloe blushed slightly and dropped her hand. Sighing deeply to himself Bruce turned and walked back to his car.

“I’m sorry,” said Chloe. Lex said nothing and smiled at her.

‘What am I doing?’ she thought to herself. “I…I better get going, I really need to finish my article,” she said, getting up and grabbing her stuff.

“Oh ok,” said a disappointed Lex.

“See you around,” she said. “Bye Chloe,” said Lex.

When she had left, Lex touched his cheek and smiled to himself. “All is most definitely *not* lost,” he said quietly.

Chloe hurried to the Torch office to finish her article. “What was I thinking, touching Lex like that? But damn his skin felt good.” She was shaken from her thoughts about Lex’s skin by the phone ringing.

“Chloe Sullivan.”

“Miss Sullivan, this Anthony Reynolds, you left a message on my machine about Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor.”

“Oh yes,” she replied. “Thank you for calling me back Mr Reynolds. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions?”

“Well yes, but not over the phone. There is a little diner called ‘Rose’s’ just outside Smallville. I could meet you there the day after tomorrow at, say 2.00pm.”

“I know the place, that would be perfect. Thank you again,” she said.

“See you then Miss Sullivan,” and he hung up.

Chloe clapped her hands together. “Yes,” she exclaimed, “at last maybe some answers.

Chapter Twelve – About A Girl

“Sorry to disturb you Mr Luthor,” said the housekeeper, “but there is a Bruce Wayne here to see you. Shall I show him in?”

‘What the hell is he doing here?’ thought Lex. “Yes Helen, show him in.” When she left Lex settled back in his chair, switched off his laptop and waited for Bruce to arrive.

“Mr Wayne,” announced the housekeeper and led him into the room. “Can I get you anything Mr Luthor?”

“No thank you Helen that will be all,” said Lex. She nodded once and left the room, closing the door behind her.

“Aren’t you going to offer me a drink?” asked Bruce with a grin.

“What are you doing here?” said Lex.

“I just popped by to say hello.”

“Cut the bullshit Bruce. What are you doing here?”

“Chloe Sullivan.”

If Lex was affected by Bruce’s response he didn’t show it. “What about her?”

“It’s really quite simple Lex,” said Bruce, “you want her, I want her. As to whom the lady in question wants, well the jury’s still out on that one.”

“This is not the nineteenth century Wayne,” said Lex. “We don’t dual at dawn for the hand of the fair lady.”

“No, but I like the idea of the dual.”

“I would be more than happy to fence you,” said Lex with a smirk, “just say the word and I’ll organise it.”

“Maybe some other time, but back to the lady in question. And I’ve noticed you haven’t denied that you want her.”

“I haven’t confirmed it either,” retorted Lex. “Look, Chloe is an intelligent and *very* independent young woman, whom I’m sure would be…insulted to know we were having this conversation. I *like* Chloe, she is my friend, and I will hurt you in ways you could never imagine if you hurt her.”

“That’s quite a passionate response Lex to someone who is just a *friend*. I remember you giving me a similar speech about another *friend*.”

“Yes and it still didn’t stop you hurting her.”

“I never hurt Rebecca,” said Bruce, his voice rising slightly.

“Then where is she?” replied Lex, keeping his own voice calm. “She would…she would still be here if you…”

“Don’t fucking say it Luthor,” shouted Bruce.

“That’s quite a passionate response Bruce to someone who did nothing.”

Bruce was beginning to lose his temper. And the fact that Lex still held his cool demeanour only served to enrage him more. He moved closer to Lex who had now stood up and walked around his desk. The two men stood only a couple of feet for each other.

“I never hurt her,” repeated Bruce.

“You destroyed her,” said Lex.

“NO I DIDN’T I LOVED HER,” screamed Bruce and punched Lex. The bald headed man stumbled back and just about stopped himself from falling.

“Truth hurts, doesn’t it Bruce?” said Lex, still managing to smirk.

“Bastard,” hissed Bruce, and turned to leave the room.

“Remember Bruce, hurt Chloe and I *will* kill you.”

Bruce said nothing and just stormed out of the room and the castle.

“OUCH,” exclaimed Lex. “Jesus that hurt. HELEN, bring me some ice please.”

“So,” said Chloe. “What do you think?”

“Excellent article Chlo,” said Pete. “As always of course.”

“Well, seeing as it has the Peter Ross seal of approval, I guess we are running with it.”

“Ok. Well I’m heading off to football practise. Shall I see you in the Talon later, for your post edition caffeine fix?”

“Probably. Enjoy jock practise, try not to lose more brain cells, you really can’t afford too.”

Pete rolled his eyes at her and left with a grin on his face. Chloe smiled after and sat down at her desk. The next edition of the Torch was finished, the interview with Bruce Wayne its leading story. She sighed deeply, she hadn’t heard from Bruce since that night. Ok she wasn’t really sure what to expect, but she would have thought she’d see him around at least.

“Screw him,” she muttered, “it wasn’t that *good* of a kiss anyway. Ok, do I make an attempt to start my history homework or do I leave it till later, much, much later.”

“Depends on the assignment, but then I was always partial to history myself,” a voice sounded from the doorway.

“Jeez Mr Luthor you really can’t stay away from this school,” she said, turning in her chair to face him. “Oh my,” she gasped when she saw his swollen and bruised cheek. ”What happened?”

‘How to answer,’ he thought. “I collided with…something,” he said vaguely.

“Getting clumsy in your old age Mr Luthor,” she said with a grin. “Or did you piss someone off?” ‘I wonder did Bruce do that,’ she thought.

“I think I’ll stick with my collision story,” he replied with a smirk.

“Whatever. Anyway you should probably put some ice on that.”

“Already have, but thanks for the advice.”

“So…what brings you to the hallowed halls of Smallville High?”

“I was looking for Clark initially but then I thought I’d drop by and say hello to you,” he said as he moved into the office. He headed over to Chloe’s desk and sat on the edge of it.

‘Oh deja-vu,’ thought Chloe. ‘That’s were Bruce sat.’ “You know there are plenty of chairs for you to sit on Mr Luthor,” she said. “Why does everyone insist on sitting on the edge of *my* desk? Pete sits there, so does Clark, and Bruce sat there only a few days ago.”

“Oh, so it’s *Bruce* now,” said Lex.

Chloe rolled her eyes at him. “Well it is his name…Lex.” She drew out his name.

“Ah I see that you know *my* name as well,” he said with a grin, hardly believing she actually called him Lex to his face.

“Be careful,” she said, “I could think of other *names* to call you.”

Lex laughed and then grimaced slightly and touched his hand to his cheek. “Still sore?” asked Chloe.

“Don’t worry about it Chloe, it’s just a little tender.” He paused for a moment and the added with a smirk. “Maybe it just needs *your* tender ministrations Chloe.”

Chloe cocked an eyebrow and stood up in front of him. With Lex sitting on the desk they were now eye to eye. She reached out her slightly shaking hand and, for the second time in as many days, gently caressed Lex Luthor’s cheek. Lex leaned into her hand, all the while keeping his eyes locked with hers.

Unconsciously Chloe began to lean her head towards Lex. “Feel better?” she whispered.

“Much better,” said Lex and closed the distance between them. Their lips met, gently at first but then Lex ran his tongue along her bottom lip. With a sigh Chloe opened her mouth and Lex danced his tongue with hers. She moved her arms around his neck and pressed closer to him.

Lex deepened the kiss further and wrapped his arms around her waist. After a moment they reluctantly parted to breathe. A shy smile appeared on Chloe’s face as she looked at Lex. He smiled back at her and brushed her lips gently with his own again.

As things were about to heat up again the phone rang. With a groan Chloe moved from Lex’s embrace to answer it.

“Chloe Sullivan,” she said, her lips still tingling.

“Miss Sullivan, this is Anthony Reynolds again, I just wanted to confirm that you are still ok for our meeting tomorrow?”

“Oh yes, of course I am. I wouldn’t miss it,” she said, glancing quickly at Lex.

“Good, I’ll see you then. Bye Miss Sullivan.”

“Bye,” she said and hung up the phone.

“I should get going,” said Lex, easing himself off the desk. “Would you like to join me for dinner tomorrow night Chloe?”

“I would love too,” she said with a smile. Lex kissed her gently, “I’ll call you tomorrow with the arrangements.”

“Bye…Lex.” When he left Chloe sat down. “First Bruce Wayne asks me to dinner and we ended up kissing,” she began. “Then Lex Luthor and I kiss and he asks me to dinner afterwards.

That’s me Chloe Sullivan, completely irresistible to young handsome billionaires. Bruce’s kiss was nice but Lex’s was…WOW.” She laughed softly to herself, “hey how many girls can sit down and compare kisses from Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne?”

She stopped laughing, “Lex or Bruce what’s a girl to do?” she said half seriously.

Sighing she turned back to her computer to work on the questions she wanted to ask Anthony Reynolds tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.

As Lex walked to his car his licked his lips and could still taste Chloe. He pulled out his phone and dialled Bruce’s number. He knew this was childish but he couldn’t resist, especially after their altercation earlier.

“Hello, Bruce Wayne here.”

“Hi Wayne, I just thought I’d let you know that round three is mine. Bye now.” He hung up before the other man could answer.

Smiling to himself he got into his car and drove off.

Chapter Thirteen – The Girl In The Photograph

“This better be life or death,” mumbled a still half-asleep Chloe into the phone.

“Good morning Chloe,” a smug sounding Lex Luthor said from the other end of the line.

“Mr Luthor, like I said this better be a life or death situation for you to be ringing me at,” she glanced at her clock, “10.00am on a Saturday morning.”

“It is,” said Lex. “8.00pm tonight, the castle, you and I dinner.”

Chloe sat up in the bed, “ok sure, 8.00pm it is.”

“Excellent, oh and Chloe, wear something sexy,” he hung up before she could reply.

“Sexy!” exclaimed Chloe. “I’ll give him sexy. Smug son of a bitch.” She lay back in her bed and thought about what in her wardrobe was sexy and dinner with Lex at his place.

“Chloe sweetie, there is something here for you,” Gabe’s voice sounded. Chloe jumped up and ran down the stairs. Her dad stood at the front door with a huge bouquet of orchids in his hands.

“You look cute,” she said with a grin.

Gabe rolled his eyes and handed her the flowers. Chloe took them and inhaled their perfume deeply. “Well, who are they from?” asked an impatient Gabe.

Chloe placed the flowers on the table and took the card out.

{Chloe, apologies for not being in contact sooner, let me make it up to you. Call me. Bruce}

“They…they are from Bruce Wayne as a thank you for the interview,” said Chloe.

“Nice thank you,” said Gabe. “Well sweetie I’m off now.” Chloe looked at him confused. “Me and the guys are heading off fishing for the weekend. I only told you about it a hundred times.”

“Oh yes fishing, sorry dad I remember now,” said Chloe.

“I understand you forgetting. After all your dear old dad going fishing cannot in any way compete with Bruce Wayne being in town,” said Gabe with a grin.

This Chloe rolled her eyes at him, “have fun dad.”

“I will Chloe.” He kissed her forehead. “See you on Monday.”

When her dad’s car had disappeared from view Chloe shut the door. She took the flowers into the kitchen and began placing them in vases. Twenty minutes later she sat at the table, sipping coffee and deciding whether or not to call Bruce.

“I really should make him wait like he did with me,” she said. “But I haven’t really got the patience for that.” She grabbed the phone and dialled Bruce’s number, fully expecting to get the answer machine again. So she was surprised when he answered.

“Hello Bruce Wayne.”

“Hi Bruce, it’s Chloe. I got your flowers they are beautiful.”

“Chloe I’m glad you called and glad you liked them. I am sorry for not being in touch before now but a couple of things came up that needed to be taken care off,” he said. ‘Lex Luthor being one,’ he added to himself.

“Hey that’s ok,” she replied, “oh the edition will be out on Monday. You’ll be happy to know you are the leading story.”

Bruce laughed softly. “Keep me a copy. Chloe I really want to make it up to you. Are you free tonight?”

‘Ok and I can’t believe I’m going to do this,’ she thought. “Oh Bruce I’m sorry but I’m busy for the day and I have something arranged for tonight.”

“Oh,” said an obviously disappointed Bruce. “How about tomorrow then?”

“Yes Sunday will be fine,” said Chloe, fighting the urge to dance around the kitchen.

“Good, I’ll see you then. I’ll call you tomorrow to arrange something.”

“I look forward to it. Bye Bruce.”

“Bye Chloe.” And they both hung up.

“I’ve got a date with Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne,” sang Chloe. “I’ve got a date with Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne.” She knew she was being silly but she couldn’t help herself. Two of the richest guys in the country had asked her out. Added to the fact both were incredibly sexy Chloe felt justified in her little burst of song.

“Ok the kiss from Lex was much better but I wouldn’t mind giving Bruce another attempt at it.” She settled down again and took a deep breath. “Right I need to get dressed and ready to talk to Anthony Reynolds before any dates.”

She tidied up the kitchen and headed up to her room, all the while singing.

“Are you ok Mr Wayne?” asked David.

“What? Yes, yes I’m fine David.”

“Are you seeing Miss Sullivan tonight?”

“No not tonight, she has other plans. Plans with Lex Luthor I’d say.”

“Sir you shouldn’t get yourself upset. Miss Sullivan is *not* Rebecca. And you know what Lex Luthor is like with women.”

“I know what he is usually like with women but he cares about Chloe…a lot, even if he’d never admit it. And I like her David, a lot, she’s quite unique.”

David gave Bruce a fatherly smile. “Miss Sullivan is an intelligent young woman sir, she’ll see though Lex.” And with that the older man left.

Bruce smiled after him and sat back in his chair. “I will not fuck up this time,” he said softly, “I will not let Lex get in the way or take her from me.” That decided he set about thinking what he and Chloe would do together on Sunday.

Chloe took her seat in one of the booths at the window in Rose’s diner. “Thank you,” she said to the waitress as she put a cup of coffee in front of her. Chloe sipped at it absently, and checked her watch. He was almost five minutes late.

A minute later a young man entered the diner. He had longish blonde hair and was quite cute. His eyes darted around the room and locked with Chloe’s. He made his way over to her. “Sorry to disturb you and I’m not a weirdo,” he said with a smile. “Are you Chloe Sullivan?”

Chloe smiled back. “Yes I am, Mr Reynolds.” He smiled again and sat down opposite her.

“Anthony,” he said holding out his hand.

“Chloe,” she replied, shaking it.

“First off,” she said, “thanks for meeting with me.”

The waitress appeared again and he ordered a tea and a refill for Chloe. She retuned almost immediately with the order and deposited them on the table.

“So Chloe, do you know Lex and Bruce?”

“I met Lex awhile back. My dad is the plant manager at the Luthor-Corp plant in Smallville. And Lex is friends with my best friend. And I only met Bruce a little while ago.”

“I started in Belfield about four months after Lex had started there. He and Bruce sort of got on; there was a kind of unspoken rivalry between them. There were so much richer than anyone else there and often tried to outdo each other.”

“Were you friends with them?” she asked.

“I didn’t know Bruce that well. I was a bit of a wild child and Lex was the guy I hung around because he had quite a bad reputation himself. But I paid attention to what was going on and hung around in the same crowds as they did.”

“Yeah, he came to Smallville with that reputation firmly in place,” said Chloe with a grin.

“I would have never called them best friends but they did get on fairly well most of the time at Belfield.”

“Well the really don’t like each other now. And neither are very forthcoming about what happened.” Chloe reached into her bag and took out the photograph of Lex, Bruce and the mystery blonde woman.

“Do you know who she is?” she asked. Anthony took the photo from her and smiled softly at it.

“Her name was Rebecca Weaver, she was quite a girl,” he said.

“Was she a friend of theirs?”

“She was Lex’s only true friend and Bruce’s girlfriend. But it was a little more complicated than that. She loved Lex and he loved her. It was a tragic triangle.”

“Where is she now?” asked Chloe.

“Dead, she committed suicide the night of her nineteenth birthday.”

“Oh my,” gasped Chloe. “What…How?”

“Drug overdose and it was Bruce Wayne’s fault,” he said bitterly.

Chapter Fourteen – Rebecca

Chloe fell silent as she tried to process what Anthony had said. She picked up the photograph from the table and stared at it for a moment. ‘She looks so alive,’ she thought. “Tell me everything please?” she asked, looking at Anthony. He nodded and took a deep breath.

“Rebecca was the daughter of the dean of Belfield. A bit of a troublemaker herself she had been kicked out of a couple of schools. Although Belfield was predominately male, there were a number of female students, so dean Weaver thought it would be better if she was there and he could keep an eye on her.

She and Lex hit it off from the beginning. Lex didn’t have any real friends. Oh he had people who hung around him, like me, and of course the lackeys were always about. But he and Rebecca just clicked as friends. She made him laugh and I don’t think he laughed much before that. Whereas Lex saw her as a friend, she fell for him big time. But he wasn’t interested in her like that, I don’t know why, the girl was a stunner. I think deep down he didn’t want to compromise their friendship and Lex Luthor was usually seen with a brunette on his arm.

And then Bruce Wayne met Rebecca and he was hooked. He literally fell in love with her at the first sight. And Rebecca, flattered by the attention stated going out with him. Around this time Lex and Bruce were getting along, as I said before not best friends or anything, but because of her they got along.

So this went on for a few months. And then something changed in Lex and Rebecca’s relationship. Bruce had started talking about marriage, even though both he and Rebecca were only eighteen. She loved Bruce, but she wasn’t in love with him and he could be quite possessive with her. Also he was beginning to get suspicious of her friendship with Lex.

Rebecca confided in Lex about everything. She didn’t want to get married at eighteen or to Bruce Wayne; she just didn’t love him like that. I don’t know what exactly happened, but during the time she was dating Bruce, Lex’s feelings for her changed. Hey maybe they were always there and he finally started acting on them. But anyway, one night during one of their *talks*, Lex and Rebecca slept together.

She thought that this was it; she and Lex would be together now. But Lex…Lex said it was a mistake, they were friends and should of never done it. Rebecca was devastated and refused to speak to Lex again. She threw herself completely into her relationship with Bruce. And then Bruce proposed to her, and to everyone’s surprise, she accepted.

Lex went ballistic when he heard about the engagement. And during the engagement party he managed to corner Rebecca. As always with Lex she told him the truth and that the only reason she was marrying Bruce was because Lex didn’t want her. And the night they had slept together meant nothing to him.

I don’t know what had happened with Lex. But the culmination of the news of Rebecca’s engagement, the reasons she was marrying Bruce and the alcohol he had consumed that night, prompted him to tell her the truth. He told her the night they spent together had meant something and that he did love her.

After his admission the pair of them snuck away from the party and headed to Lex’s room. They must have been gone about an hour when Bruce went looking for Rebecca. He found them…together in Lex’s bed. He went nuclear, dragging her out of the bed, calling her a whore. Lex, of course, stood up for her and then Bruce started on him. They beat the crap out of each other. Then Bruce got the better of Lex and knocked him unconscious. When Rebecca ran to Lex’s side Bruce ran out of the room and disappeared for a while.

Lex was taken to hospital and then Lionel made an appearance. He was ranting and raving, threatening to sue Bruce and Belfield. As soon as Lex was able to leave hospital Lionel took him out of Belfield and sent him to Europe or something. Actually nobody knew where he really went. Rebecca was distraught, Lex was nowhere to be found and Bruce had suddenly come back to school.

She tried to apologise for hurting him but he just blanked her. He completely ignored that she existed. He then finally started using the pull and influence he had over a lot of the student body and turned them against her as well. Bruce Wayne always gave the impression of being a good guy, slightly aloof but still approachable, but he has a dark side that you really don’t want to fuck with.

Because of Bruce, Rebecca soon found herself almost completely ostracized at Belfield and had the reputation of being a whore, again started by Bruce. And with no Lex to turn to she hit a downward spiral. She got involved with the so-called ‘bad crowd’ at school and started experimenting with drugs.

She began to look like hell and was getting further and further into the drugs scene. And then on the morning of her nineteenth birthday, all the letters and messages she had sent to Lex returned unopened. Not knowing exactly where he was she had sent them c/o Lionel. But he sent them back with a note saying she was to stop trying to contact his son. I doubt Lex ever knew about them.

That day she made one last attempt to try and talk to Bruce. By now she was totally addicted to heroin and bordering on suicidal. She tried apologising to him again, but the bastard was having none of it. In front of his band of cronies and the best part of the student body he completely demeaned her.

She ran away in tears and that was the last anyone saw of Rebecca Weaver alive. Sometime that night she took a massive heroin hit and it killed her. Her father found her the next day, dead on the floor of her room. A suicide note clutched in her hand.

I don’t know how Lex found out about her death but he was at the funeral. He looked like a broken man. So did Bruce, but he also looked guilty. Everyone did their best to keep Lex and Bruce apart at the funeral.

But after the service Bruce was going on and on about how sorry he was and how much he had still loved her. Lex just snapped and went for him. It took about ten guys to drag them apart.

Everything was hushed up. A lot of Luthor and Wayne money kept *everything* out of the papers. And no one who knew what had gone on ever spoke of it. It was afterwards in a bar that Lex, completely out of his head on alcohol, told me in more detail what had really happened.

And that Chloe is the very tragic story of Rebecca Weaver.”

ruafair
19th April 2003, 00:43
Anthony stopped talking and took a long shuddering breath.

“Why did you decide to talk to me?” she asked.

“I hate Bruce Wayne. I wish I had a nobler reason but unfortunately I don’t. What he did to that poor girl was unforgivable, and he never admitted to driving her to it. Even now he has this superior attitude and talks about how generous and gracious he is…”

“While Lex is considered to be evil,” said Chloe.

“Exactly,” replied Anthony with a small smile. “Hey I’m not saying Lex isn’t a bastard as well, and maybe if he hadn’t of pushed Rebecca away the first night they spent together none of this would have happened.”

“And she might still be alive,” said Chloe.

“Look Chloe I don’t know what your interest in either Lex or Bruce is. But let me give you a word of advice. Don’t get involved with either of them; both will just bring you heartache.”

“Thanks for the advice, but I don’t plan on getting involved with them,” said Chloe. Ignoring the small voice in her head that brought up the fact she’d kissed them both and was planning to see Lex tonight and Bruce tomorrow.

“So what are you going to do with what I’ve told you?” asked Anthony.

“I don’t know,” she replied honestly. “I’m not going to print it, I think Rebecca deserves to rest in peace.”

“Yes she certainly does,” agreed Anthony. “Although I’d love to see Bruce really suffer for what he did.”

Chloe glanced at her watch, “I had better be going,” she said. “Thank you again for talking to me.” She shook his hand.

“No problem. It was quite therapeutic talking about it again. Just remember what I said.”

“I will,” she replied as she stood up. “Bye Anthony.”

“Bye Chloe.” He watched as she left the diner and got into her car. “I hope you know what you are doing Chloe,” he said softly. “You are a lot like Rebecca and I bet Lex and Bruce have noticed it as well.”

Chapter Fifteen – Let The Fireworks Begin

Chloe drove home in silence; she didn’t even put the radio on. Her mind kept going over and over Anthony’s story. She found herself feeling sorry for the three involved; Lex, Bruce to a certain extent and especially Rebecca Weaver the poor, poor girl, what a terrible waste of a young life. Chloe couldn’t imagine what depths she must have sunk too for her to take her own life.

“Who was really to blame?” she murmured. “Granted Bruce’s treatment of her was terrible and must have pushed her over the edge. And Lionel taking Lex away must have really hurt her. Well Lex blames Bruce and vice versa.”

She mused over various thoughts and theories as she reached Smallville. She was about to stop at the Talon but saw a Porsche parked outside with the licence plate ‘BRUCEW’ and decided against it.

She wasn’t quite ready to face Bruce Wayne, especially not after what she heard. She hit the accelerator and sped past the Talon and onto the road for her house. “Oh God, the dinner with Lex tonight,” she said. Part of her wanted to chicken out of it. But the rest of her really wanted to see him. But was she ready to face him as well. Lex Luthor was just as ingrained into the tragic Rebecca Weaver story as Bruce was.

“Well done Chloe, your life has become a soap opera,” she muttered as she pulled into her driveway.

When she got inside she saw the light flashing on the answer machine. She hit the play button. “You have two messages. First message.”

“Hi sweetie just ringing to let you know I arrived safely I’m heading off the fish now. Take care, and don’t get into any trouble.” Chloe smiled at the excited tone in her father’s voice, and was glad he had decided to go on the trip.

“End of message. Second message.”

“Hi Chloe it’s Lex. Just ringing to ask you to leave it till 8.30pm tonight. Call me back if that is a problem. If not I’ll see you later. Bye.”

When she heard Lex’s voice, part of Chloe hoped he was ringing to cancel. She sat down on the couch and pulled out the photograph from her bag. “Should I ask Lex about you?” she said. “Probably not, we all know how much Lex loves people snooping into his past. And I really doubt he’d appreciate me bringing up memories of the girl he loved.” She wondered if she didn’t have feeling for Lex herself would she have been as reluctant to mention it.

That was the other thing Lex had loved someone. He always gave the impression that he would never lose his heart. Chloe wondered what it would be like having Lex Luthor love you. “I bet he’d be passionate, very passionate,” she said. “Make you feel so special. Jeez Chloe, he only kissed you and asked you to dinner, snap out of it. Lex Luthor is not, or will not, ever be in love with you.”

Sighing she headed upstairs to find something to wear.

“Hey Clark, have you seen Chloe today at all?” asked Pete.

“Hope,” he replied. “I think she said she was meeting someone. It’s something to do with a story. And then said she had plans for tonight.”

“Check out our Chlo, the social butterfly,” said Pete with a grin.

“Maybe she’s meeting Bruce Wayne again,” said Lana. “I hope she is, they are really cute together.”

“Well I’d rather him than Lex Luthor,” muttered Pete, causing Clark to roll his eyes.

Collecting his order from Lana. Bruce’s driver David heard the three teen’s conversation. Smiling to himself he headed back out to the car. “I must let Mr Wayne know that at least some of Miss Sullivan’s friends think they should be together. It might cheer him up.”

“Well Lex this is a sexy as I can do with my wardrobe of clothes,” said Chloe as she put on her shoes.

She checked herself one more time in the mirror and grabbed her coat and bag. She locked the front door and got into her car. Taking a deep breath she started the engine and headed towards Lex’s place, her heart thumping wildly in her chest.

“Perfect,” said Lex as he looked over the room. He glanced at his watch, 8.15pm. He had sent all the staff away, there would only be Chloe and he tonight. He couldn’t believe what was happening with Chloe. He had been wary of the blonde reporter from the moment he’d met her. She invoked feelings he thought he would never feel again. Emotions that another blonde made him feel. “Becky,” he whispered with a sad smile. Since Wayne’s arrival in Smallville he had been thinking about her a lot.

But Chloe is not Rebecca. And he wasn’t going too dwell on the past. Chloe was coming over and he was going to make sure the night was perfect. He heard the doorbell ring and hurried to answer it.

“Chloe,” he said with a smile when he opened the door.

‘Good God he looks delicious,’ she thought, as she looked him up and down. He wore tight fitting black pants and a black silk shirt, he top few buttons unopened. He looked both seductive and dangerous.

“Hi,” she said when she got her mouth working again, and stepped in.

“Let me take this,” he said, helping her to remove her coat. Chloe shuffled out of it and Lex bit back a groan when he saw her bare back.

He hung the coat up and when he turned back she was facing him. She wore a burnt orange lacy top, which was backless. The top being held on by a clasp at the neck and another at her lower back. A short skirt of the same colour and material showed off surprisingly long legs.

Lex closed his eyes briefly and visions of those legs wrapped tightly around his waist flooded his mind. When he opened them again he saw Chloe look at him with a slightly confused look on her face.

“You look amazing,” he said, brushing her lips with his. “Shall we?” He held his arm out for her.

“Lead on Lex,” she said with a smile as she took his arm. He took her to a small dining room, which had been set up with a table for two.

“Dinner is served,” he said with a smirk.

Bruce paced around his hotel room. He had rung Chloe’s about twenty minutes ago but all he got was the machine. David had told him about the conversation he had overheard at the Talon. “So Miss Lang thinks Chloe and I look cute together,” he said with a smile.

Bruce knew Chloe was meeting with Lex Luthor. Lex’s call yesterday about *round three* being his and Chloe saying earlier she was busy tonight got Bruce to put two and two together.

Despite what David said, Bruce couldn’t help making comparisons with Rebecca. What was happening now was too close to the events of that tragic time. And it wasn’t helping that now when he saw visions of Lex and Becky in bed together; her face was replaced with Chloe’s.

“This is ridiculous,” he stated. “I barely know Chloe Sullivan, how can I be acting and feeling this way?”

‘Because she’s someone you want and Lex wants her too,’ a little voice spoke up. ‘And she seems to prefer him to you as well. And think of the real reason you are here for.’

“Shut up,” he snapped. He grabbed his car keys off the table and headed out, slamming the door behind him.

“That was delicious Lex.”

“Would you be surprised to know that I made it myself?”

“Not really,” she replied. “I do remember you saying you had many talents.”

“Ah yes, I’m pretty talented with my hands,” he smirked, causing a slight blush to cover Chloe’s cheeks. Lex stood up and changed the music on the stereo. “Miss Sullivan, would you do me the honour of a dance?”

“I’d love too,” she replied, standing up and taking his hand.

He took her in his arms and they moved slowly to the music. Chloe rested her head on his shoulder. She shivered slightly as he ran his hands gently over her back.

She lifted her head to look into his eyes. “What’s happening?” she whispered. “I don’t honestly know,” he whispered back, before covering her mouth with his.

She moaned as she opened her mouth for his probing tongue. And he swept it through her mouth. His hands found their way to her hips and he pulled her even closer.

Mouths still joined, Lex moved backwards till he reached the couch, he sat down pulling Chloe into his lap. The manoeuvre caused her skirt to rise up around her thighs. He released her mouth and placed kisses down her neck and onto her shoulder.

‘Crazy,’ she thought, ‘but it feels so good.’ She grabbed his head and brought his mouth back to hers, kissing him deeply, causing Lex to moan.

Bruce saw Chloe’s car parked outside the front door of the Luthor castle, confirming his suspicions. He parked his own car and made his way to the door. Trying the door he was surprised to find it unlocked. He crept in closing it quietly behind him. He moved silently along the hallways. He stopped suddenly as he heard moans and gasps coming from a room at the end of the hall.

Bruce made his way over to it and peeked in the slightly open door. He was greeted with the sight of Lex and Chloe heavily making out on the couch. Lex’s shirt was unbuttoned and Chloe was running her hands over his chest, while Lex’s hands where moving to open her top. Their mouths were fused together and both were moaning.

Something inside Bruce snapped as he heard Chloe gasp Lex’s name. He kicked the door open. The noise jolted the pair on the couch out of their haze of lust.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” snapped an angry Lex.

Bruce strode into the room. Lex eased Chloe off his lap and stood slightly in front of her. An embarrassed Chloe held his hand.

“Sorry to interrupt,” said Bruce, anger evident in his voice.

“Again Wayne, what are you doing here?” repeated Lex. Chloe peeked out from behind Lex and Bruce stared at her.

“I should of expected this from *you*,” said Bruce to Chloe. “You were always a whore *Rebecca. *”

Chapter Sixteen – Shattered Beyond Repair

The room was silent as the enormity of Bruce’s words sank in on the three people.

A shocked expression settled over Bruce’s face, while Lex stood there openly disbelieving and speechless. And Chloe…Chloe exploded.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” she said as she approached him. “You don’t even know me, I am NOT a whore. What we kiss once and suddenly I’m exclusively yours?” She got closer to him.

“You called her Rebecca,” said Lex.

Totally ignoring him Chloe slapped Bruce across the face as hard as she could. The sound of her hand connecting with his cheek echoed around the room.

“Ch…Chloe,” began Bruce. “I’m sorry…I…I don’t know…”

“I know all about Rebecca Weaver,” interrupted Chloe, causing both men to gasp. “I know all about what happened to that poor girl. How she took her own life.”

She hadn’t meant to blurt out knowing what had happened. But she was so angry and couldn’t help herself. She noticed the looks on both Lex and Bruce’s face when she mentioned knowing the story of their history with Rebecca.

“You’ve ruined everything again Bruce,” said Lex, “it’s over.”

Chloe turned to Lex, “what do you mean by ‘over’?” she asked.

“You and him,” said Lex, “you can’t possibly be still interested in him after what he called you.”

A hurt expression fell over Chloe’s face at his words as she processed them.

“Chloe…” began Bruce again. She turned her back on him to face Lex. “Oh, so it’s over Lex, you’ve won have you?”

It dawned on Lex what she had construed from what he said. And he set about fixing it. “Chloe it’s not like that at all,” he said moving towards her. “It was never like that.”

“Really, then why is it that you only started showing *interest* in me when Bruce did?” she asked. She wasn’t sure what had happened, but Bruce’s words and the subsequent argument that followed had affected them all. She was so angry, angry with Bruce, and now starting to feel angry at Lex as well.

Lex thought about her question and decided that telling the truth would be his best option. “I was jealous,” he admitted.

“Of me,” she exclaimed, “or of him,” indicating to Bruce.

“Jealous that he…he had kissed you.” As soon as the words left his mouth he knew he’d said too much. ‘Damn,’ he thought.

“Excuse me, how the hell did you know we had kissed, what did you have us followed or something?” she accused. It took all of Lex’s willpower not flinch at her statement. She turned to Bruce, “what, have the two of you being comparing notes or something? Keeping score of whose won what round?”

Both men gasped when she mentioned, *rounds*, and Chloe heard them. “You have,” she said bitterly. “Oh my God I’ve been such a fool. Is this how rich guys get their kicks? Oh let’s pick on Chloe, she’s just a kid, let’s have some fun, let’s see who *gets* to have her first. Jeez Bruce looks like your timing was perfect, Lex was about to win.”

Although she was right about them winning rounds, Lex knew he had to explain things to her or she’d never speak to him again. “Chloe, let me explain,” he began, reaching his hand out.

She stepped back, “don’t touch me.” She moved away so that she could look at both of them. “What happened with Rebecca and the two of you was a terrible thing but that does not give either of you the right to play games with people’s emotions. I…I feel used,” she said, her voice filled with sadness.

“And you went snooping into things that don’t concern you,” said Bruce.

“Don’t you dare turn this back on me Bruce Wayne,” snapped Chloe. “You started all this. Yes I snooped, that’s what I do. But I wasn’t going to do anything with the information; I was doing some research into you before the interview and I came across a photograph of the two of you and a young woman. And then I had to find out who she was and one thing led to another.”

“None of it was my fault,” said Bruce automatically.

“Yes it was,” retorted Lex.

“Well you shouldn’t have fucked another man’s fiancée.”

“And you shouldn’t have treated her like shit afterwards,” said Chloe. Both men turned and faced her again.

“You know nothing of what went on,” snapped Bruce. “I loved her and he,” pointing at Lex, “took her away from me.”

“I didn’t take her from you. I loved her and she loved me. And you…you killed her.” And once again both men started arguing about Rebecca each blaming the other.

“You guys need to sort out you issues. The poor girl is dead and you two are using her memory and cause of death to keep up this feud between you,” said an exasperated Chloe. “Jesus, let the poor girl rest in peace.”

Chloe rubbed her head, suddenly she felt very tired. She looked at the two men and wanted to be far away from both of them.

“Is that why you came to Smallville Mr Wayne,” she said, “to stoke the fires of your feud with Mr Luthor.” Both men cringed slightly at her use of formal names.

“Well,” she said, after he didn’t say anything.

“Partly,” he admitted. “I had heard that Lionel had *exiled* Lex to Smallville and then word came back that he was making friends. He was actually happy here.”

“And you decided to ruin it for me,” finished Lex, “have me sit and brood in my big house like you do in Gotham.”

“Talk about being childish,” said Chloe. “You two are worse than a couple of kids. I need to get out of here.”

She turned and headed towards the open door. “Chloe, please don’t go,” pleaded Lex. “We need to talk about this…” She turned back to look at him.

“I think we have *all* said more than enough. I am not some *toy* that you and he,” looking at Bruce, “can play your little games with. I don’t want to see or speak to either of you ever again.”

With that she walked out, her head high. Lex flinched slightly as he heard the front door being slammed shut.

As Chloe got into her car, the tears she had been holding back, fell. She was drained, and still angry. She was angry with Bruce and Lex, but most of all angry with herself for being such a fool.

She knew it was too good to be true, that maybe they both actually liked her. Especially Lex. Wiping her eyes she started the car and headed home.

Lex and Bruce stood in silence for a while. “Get out,” said Lex. “Get out now.”

“Was Chloe just a game Luthor?” said Bruce. “Was it because I asked her out?”

“GET OUT.”

“Or has she managed to chip at that wall around your heart? Have I ruined things for you?”

“NOW WAYNE before I kill you. GET THE FUCK OUT.”

Knowing he had pushed Lex too far, Bruce turned and left.

When Lex heard Bruce’s car taking off he sank to his knees.

“Oh God,” he whispered. “How do I fix this?” And for the first time in his life Lex Luthor didn’t have an answer.

Chapter Seventeen – Aftermath

Chloe took one of the blankets from her bed and brought it downstairs with her. Wrapping it around her pyjama clad body she settled herself onto the couch. She glanced at the clock, midnight it flashed at her. A couple of hours earlier she had sat draped over Lex Luthor as they made out on his couch. Their hands eagerly opening each other’s clothes…

And then the shit really hit the fan. Bruce Wayne came over and things got out of hand. She sighed deeply and lay down.

“What is it about me and guys?” she said. “First it was suck-the-heat- out of you guy, then crazy Justin. Clark breaking my heart at the prom, etc, etc, and now two billionaires still fighting over a girl who is dead.” She sighed again, “I think I am destined to be alone for the rest of my life.”

She didn’t feel angry anymore, although she couldn’t guarantee she wouldn’t explode if she saw either Bruce or Lex anytime soon. She had liked Bruce, but she had really liked Lex. The way her made her feel when he kissed and touched her.

“Argh snap out of it Chloe,” she said, sitting up again. “He was just using you, they were both using you.” ‘But what if they weren’t, what if they really liked you,’ a voice spoke up.

“Yeah,” she snorted. “They liked me, they really liked me,” she said sarcastically. She groaned as she heard the phone ring again. Since she got home both Bruce and Lex had rang a few times each.

“Probably having a bet on who gets me to answer,” she muttered. She would have liked to unplug the phone, but couldn’t in case her dad tried to ring. After a couple more rings the answer machine kicked in but no message was left this time.

She curled up once again on the couch and closed her eyes. But she didn’t expect sleep to come quickly.

“Don’t put on the main light David,” said Bruce softly from the shadows.

“Is everything ok Mr Wayne?” he asked, concern heavy in his voice.

“No David it’s not. It is far from ok.”

As the older man grew closer he saw the half-empty bottle of whiskey on the table beside Bruce. “What…what happened?” he asked softly.

“Oh I’ve really done it this time,” said Bruce with a bitter laugh. “I've really fucking done it.” He emptied his glass and quickly filled it again.

“You better have one yourself David, you’re going to need it when you hear what I say.”

The older man sat in silence as Bruce replayed everything that had happened earlier. David made no sound or comment except for one gasp when Bruce said he had called Chloe, Rebecca.

“Go on, let me have it,” said Bruce when he had finished, “tell what a stupid idea it was coming anywhere near Smallville.”

“Is there really anything for me to say?” said David. “Well just one thing, what on earth possessed you to go over to the Luthor place?”

“I don’t know. I guess I wanted to see if that was where Chloe really was. I know I should of left when I saw her car but I didn’t. And when I got inside and saw them on the couch I…I just lost it. Suddenly I was back in Belfield and it was the night of my engagement party. I just saw red.”

“Chloe Sullivan is *not* Rebecca Weaver, you need to…”

“I know David, I know.”

The older man sighed. “Maybe when she calms down she will listen to you.”

“I seriously doubt it David,” sighed Bruce.

“And you’re just going to give up. I thought you liked her. That doesn’t sound like Bruce Wayne,” said David. Bruce didn’t say anything but David saw a small smile appear on his face. He stood up, “goodnight sir,” he said.

“Goodnight David, and thank you.”

Lex sat in the large armchair in his room. He was still wearing the same clothes from earlier, and he still hadn’t buttoned back up his shirt.

What had started as a perfect evening, quickly turned into the night from hell, thanks to Bruce Wayne. “I should really kill him,” murmured Lex, his tone half-serious.

He picked up the two photographs lying on the table beside him. He gazed at the one of Chloe first. She was never going to forgive him. And he believed she would make it her life’s work to avoid both him and Bruce.

“I am so, so sorry Chloe,” he whispered. “It was *never* a game, I really do care about you.” He could understand why she had thought she was being used. Both his and Bruce’s words and actions hadn’t help dissuade her from that train of thought.

He looked at the photo of Rebecca. He wasn’t that surprised that Chloe had found out what happened. She was nothing if tenacious when it came to uncovering a story.

He placed the photographs on the table and leaned back in the chair, rubbing his head. He closed his eyes and sighed deeply. “I will give Chloe he space,” he said. “But not for too long.” He cared about her and wasn’t going to give up. She had feeling s for him as well, he was certain of it. The way she responded to his kisses and touch only verified that.

“Oh God,” he groaned as he remembered how she felt and tasted underneath his mouth and hands.

‘…Let’s see who *gets* to have her first. Jeez Bruce looks like your timing was perfect Lex was about to win.’

He sat up in the chair as he remembered her words. “She was going to let me make love to her,” he whispered, “I don’t think I’ll be giving her any time, I want her and she wants me. Ok maybe right now she wants to hurt me a million ways and then kill me, but deep down she still has feelings for me.”

Also Lex knew that Bruce wasn’t going to give up easily either.

Chapter Eighteen – Cold Shoulders

On Sunday afternoon Chloe left her house and headed to the Torch office. She was going stir crazy at home and had to get out for the sake of her sanity.

“Anyway, why should I hide away?” she murmured as she switched on her computer. “They are the assholes.”

She checked through her email and came across one from a Hannah Martin to do with Belfield. “Strange,” said Chloe, “I thought Anthony Reynolds was the only one who was willing to contact me.” She opened the mail and read it.

{Hi Chloe, I am sorry for not replying to you sooner but I have been out of the country. If you still want to talk about Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne and Belfield please contact me either by email or call at the number below.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Hannah Martin.}

“Wow,” exclaimed Chloe, “do I reply or not?” She thought for a moment. Did she really want to know more about what happened at Belfield? Could it be possible that there was more? Something Anthony Reynolds hadn’t told her or didn’t know? Chloe had to admit that deep down she was still quite curious.

“To ring or not to ring that is the question,” she muttered. Taking a deep breath she grabbed the phone and quickly dialled the number Hannah had sent her. After about three rings it was answered.

“Hello.”

“Hi,” said Chloe, Can you speak to Hannah Martin please?”

“This is Hannah.”

“Miss Martin hi, this is Chloe Sullivan. I got your email, thank you for getting back to me.”

“Call me Hannah please. I take it by your call that you still want to talk.”

“Yes, yes I do. I have actually spoken to Anthony Reynolds in the last few days and he told me about Rebecca Weaver.”

“Well I was a good friend of Rebecca’s so I might have more for you.”

“Excellent. Do you want to meet Hannah and we can talk?”

“Well I will be in Metropolis on Wednesday. Do you know the Len-Fold Art Gallery?”

“I’ve heard of it,” said Chloe.

“I will be at the art gallery all day. So anytime would suit.”

Chloe thought for a minute, she’d have to cry off school for the day. But her reporter sense was tingling. “Ok Hannah, I’ll be there about 11.30am is that ok?”

“That will be fine. I look forward to meeting you.”

“And I you. Goodbye Hannah.”

“Goodbye Chloe.” And both hung up. “I wonder what other secrets I will find out,” she whispered. “And what do I do with them?”

“Strong black coffee please Lana,” said Lex.

“Jeez Lex you look like crap,” said Clark, coming up beside his friend.

‘You have no idea,’ he thought. “I didn’t sleep very well last night Clark. A lot on my mind.” In fact Lex hadn’t slept at all last night. Every time he closed his eyes he saw Chloe’s face and the hurt expression on it.

“Is Bruce Wayne still in town?” asked Lana, as she placed the coffee in front of Lex.

“Unfortunately he is,” mumbled Lex as he sipped his coffee.

As if on cue the door opened and Bruce Wayne walked into the Talon. “He looks as bad as you do,” whispered Clark to Lex. As Bruce made his way to the counter Lex noticed that the other man looked like he hadn’t slept a wink either. ‘Good enough for him,’ he thought.

“Hi Bruce,” smiled Lana when he reached them.

He mumbled a hello back. Clark noticed the atmosphere between the two men was even icier than usual. He wondered what had happened to cause things to get worse. The two men stood looking at everything and anything but each other. Clark shrugged his shoulders and turned his attention back to Lana. He moved over to the side where she was and the pair started talking.

Lex could feel Bruce’s eyes on him as soon as Clark had moved away. “Surprised to see me still in Smallville,” said Bruce after a moment.

Lex didn’t say or do anything; he just continued to drink his coffee. “I thought seriously about leaving,” continued Bruce, “but decided that was probably what you were expecting and hoping I’d do. So I figured staying in Smallville would be a much better idea.” Bruce frowned slightly at the lack of response from Lex. He had hoped to get some sort of a reaction from him.

After talking with David last night Bruce had decided to stay in Smallville for another while. Despite everything he did like Chloe and wanted to make things right between them. And maybe explore something more. Sure she was pissed with him now but she couldn’t stay angry forever.

So he was going to stay and see what he could do about getting Chloe. And if continuing to be in Smallville pissed Lex off, well then that was just an added bonus. But at the moment Lex just stood there sipping his coffee and completely ignoring him. ‘Not what I expected,’ thought Bruce, ‘I think it's time to try something different.’

“I wonder how Chloe is,” he said. Again Lex said nothing, but Bruce noticed an almost imperceptible tightening of his jaw at the mention of Chloe. ‘Yes, a reaction,’ he thought smugly.

‘Bastard,’ thought Lex. “I would guess that she is sticking pins in voodoo dolls of the two of us,” he said, speaking for the first time since Bruce came in.

“Ah I see you remembered how to speak,” said Bruce.

“No I was choosing *not* to speak to you,” he replied. Lex turned and faced the other man “I have no idea what you hoped to achieve with last nights little performance or today’s little *chat* and deep down I don’t really care. All that matters is that *you* hurt Chloe.”

“I think we are *both* even in that department Luthor.”

“Perhaps. But I didn’t intentionally hurt her, unlike you did.”

“I didn’t...” said Bruce, his voice rising slightly. He lowered it again when he saw a few heads turn in his direction. “I didn’t do it intentionally,” he said.

“Of course not, all women like to be called a whore and then the name of an ex-girlfriend,” retorted Lex.

Bruce closed his eyes and tried to calm himself down. It wouldn’t do to be seen punching Lex Luthor in a public coffee shop. Even if it’s what he really wanted to do.

When he opened his eyes again he gasped as he looked past Lex and saw Chloe enter the Talon. Lex turned his head to see what had caused that reaction in Bruce. When he did his eyes locked with Chloe’s. She turned hers away immediately.

Lex muttered a goodbye to Lana and Clark as he passed them. He drew closer to Chloe. He opened his mouth to speak to her but she glared at him and walked right past him. He sighed and continued on his journey out of the Talon.

Chloe resisted the urge to look back and refused to let herself be affected by the flash of hurt she briefly saw in Lex’s eyes. Instead she made her way to the counter all the while refusing to look in Bruce Wayne’s direction.

As Lex had attempted Bruce made a move to speak to her. But was greeted with a glare and a ‘don’t even think about it’ look. Sighing to himself he left the coffee shop.

Clark had watched the whole scene from the moment Chloe had entered the Talon. When Bruce had left he made his way over to her. “Hey Chlo,” he said with a smile.

“Hi,” she replied.

He was about to ask what had just gone on but he saw the look on her face and decided against it for the moment. But something had happened and he figured Chloe would be easier than Lex to get the answer from.

‘I’ll ask as soon as she is a little calmer,’ he thought.

ruafair
19th April 2003, 00:44
Chapter Nineteen – Melting

“I *hate* algebra,” muttered Chloe as she tried to work out the problem. It was Tuesday afternoon and she wanted to get all her homework out of the way.

She had managed to avoid Lex and Bruce since Sunday. In fact she hadn’t seen either of them around at all. And tomorrow she was ditching school to head to Metropolis to talk to Hannah about Belfield. ‘And probably find out more things to make me hate them,’ she thought.

She was also trying to avoid Clark. The look on his face on Sunday when both Lex and Bruce had left the Talon shortly after she arrived told Chloe that he had figured there was something wrong and he wanted to talk about it. And she did not want go through the whole story with Clark.

And then there was Lana asking her when she was going to *see* Bruce again. ‘When hell freezes over,’ she had thought. And that was the response she really wanted to give to Lana. But she managed to bite her tongue and say nothing.

Chloe groaned when she saw Clark coming in. He went to the counter first to see Lana and Chloe saw the other girl point in her direction. “Shit,” muttered Chloe as she saw Clark head over to her.

“Hey Chloe,” he said, taking the seat opposite her.

“Hi Clark,” she smiled back.

“So…how are things?” he asked.

Chloe couldn’t help but grin. He was dying to ask her about Lex and Bruce and was deciding what kind of mood she was in first.

“Things are usual for as high-school reporter in a weird town like Smallville,” she said, grinning at him.

Clark sat quietly for a moment and then began fidgeting in his chair. “Spit it out Clark,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“What…what do you mean?” stammered Clark.

“Clark you’re jumping up and down in your seat like you’ve ants in your pants. Just ask me whatever it is you’re building up the courage to.”

“What is going on with you, Lex and Bruce Wayne?” he blurted out.

“Nothing Clark, just a steamy love triangle full of tragic characters and hot sex,” she replied. ‘Not completely a lie,’ she thought. ‘Well except for the hot sex.’

Clark almost choked. “Jeez Clark, breathe,” said Chloe patting his back.

“Very funny Chlo,” he said when he had caught his breath. “Now what’s really going on?”

“Nothing Clark.”

“Chloe, I know I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. But on Sunday you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife when you came in. And Lex and Bruce both left quickly afterwards.”

“Clark, Lex and I have never really been friends, and Bruce Wayne and I had one interview. So it’s not like we have to be friendly all the time,” said Chloe. ‘Really, really bad answer,’ she thought. ‘Not even Clark’s going to buy that one.’

Clark sighed. “Chloe, I dropped by Lex’s yesterday and I don’t know, the guy looks like he’s about to explode. I’ve never seen Lex so…so not in control.”

Chloe bit her lip as she debated with herself on what exactly to tell Clark. “Ok Clark what I am about to tell you has to stay between the two of us. You can’t tell Pete, Lana or your parents. And you so cannot let Lex or Bruce know,” she said. “Promise me Clark.”

“I promise Chloe,” he said seriously.

Chloe took a deep breath and told Clark about Lex and Bruce’s history with Rebecca. She kept out the part of her kissing Bruce, and him finding her and Lex on his couch, and then subsequent argument that followed.”

“Wow,” said Clark. “So that’s why they can’t stand each other. Buy why are…”

“They are pissed at me for finding out what happened,” she lied.

“That figures,” he said with a grin.

Chloe let out an internal sigh of relief, as Clark believed her. “I mean what I said Clark, I will never forgive you if you say…”

Clark took her hand and squeezed it gently. “Don’t worry Chloe, I won’t say anything to anyone.”

“Thanks Clark.”

An hour later Chloe decided it was time to go home. She got up to leave, “damn,” she muttered as she saw the rain pouring down. She pulled her jacket over her head and made a run to her car…

…And collided with someone. Both ended up on the wet pavement with Chloe on top. “Oh my God, I am so sorry, I didn’t…” She trailed off as she looked down in to the wet face of Lex Luthor.

She made a move to get off him but Lex tightened his grip on her waist. “I am quite content to lie here in the rain Chloe if that’s the only way to get you to listen to me for a minute,” he said.

“Let me up,” she said, struggling against him, “we’ll catch pneumonia.” She sighed deeply, “Ok I’ll listen.”

Lex released her waist and Chloe got up. Quickly followed by Lex. Both were soaking wet.

They stood looking at each other for a moment. “You said you wanted to talk Mr Luthor, so talk,” said Chloe. “Because I would really like to get out of the rain.”

“I wanted to say I’m sorry Chloe, but I have a feeling you’re not going to accept my apology,” he began. “But I am, I have never been so sorry about anything in my life. The last thing in the world I wanted to do was too hurt you. I know the way Bruce Wayne and I acted was unforgivable and we did carry on extremely childishly. But…but what was happening between you and I Chloe was *real*.”

Chloe closed her eyes as Lex’s words created a multitude of emotions within her. She didn’t know what to say, and a part of her wanted to throw herself into his arms.

“Just tell me you don’t hate me,” said Lex. “That will do.” ‘For the moment,’ he added silently.

She opened her eyes and was taken aback by the open look on Lex’s face. “I don’t hate you Lex. I just don’t like you very much at the moment.”

“That’s more than I deserve at the moment. Thank you Chloe.” He smiled at her and walked away into the Talon.

Chloe stood shell-shocked for a moment. “I will wake up soon,” she said as she opened the door to her car. “And I will discover that the last couple of weeks have been a really weird dream brought on by a coma-inducing caffeine overdose.” She got in and headed for home.

As her car drove off Bruce Wayne stepped out from the shop doorway where he had seen and heard everything that transpired between Chloe and Lex.

“What are you up to now Luthor?” he said with a frown.

Chapter Twenty – Revelations

Chloe woke up from a strange dream of kissing Lex Luthor senseless on the pavement outside the Talon, in the pouring rain. “Ok so the last two weeks weren’t a dream,” she mumbled.

“Sweetie I’m heading off now,” shouted Gabe, “have fun at school.”

“Bye dad, I’ll try.” She hated lying to her dad but she couldn’t really say she was ditching school to head to Metropolis to dig into Lex and Bruce’s past. She heard his car take off and got out of bed.

She had everything planned. Get to Metropolis, talk to Hannah and be home before her dad got back from work. Smiling to herself she headed to the shower.

Lex woke up from the delightful dream of kissing Chloe in the rain. His talk with her yesterday seemed to have gone well. At least she didn’t slap his face, and she said she didn’t hate him. That was a bonus.

He got out of bed and padded to the bedroom. He had slept well and was not in the mood for going in to the plant. “Gabe can look after everything,” he said. “I think I’ll head to Metropolis.”

That decided he got into the shower.

Chloe sang along to the radio as she drove along the highway towards Metropolis. That tingly feeling she got when she was really hooked into a story was on full power.

‘Not quite the same tingly feeling that Lex Luthor created,’ she thought. Lex’s speech yesterday had been playing heavily on her mind. She failed miserably in her attempts to find fault in his words. Chloe had never seen Lex Luthor so emotionally open and his words touched her. When she had gotten home she debated with herself for almost an hour on whether or not to call him. She sighed loudly as she reached the outskirts of Metropolis.

“Will Hannah Martin reveal more that will make me hate him?” she said, “God I hope not.”

Lex loved this, speeding along the roads to Metropolis, giving his Ferrari a real workout. “Damn it,” he muttered as he phone rang. “Lex Luthor.”

“Lex, why didn’t you inform me of the fact that Bruce Wayne was in Smallville?”

“And a hello to you to dad,” said Lex sarcastically.

“Lex, why wasn’t I told?”

“Because it wasn’t important and I knew you’d find out yourself anyway.”

“Well then I assume you have found out why he is here.”

“Don’t worry dad, it’s nothing to do with business. He’s just here to piss me off.”

“You can not still be arguing about the Rachel girl?”

“Rebecca,” said Lex, “her name was Rebecca.”

“Trivial matter. I’m expecting Lex that you have not being rising to any of his childish behaviours.”

“Of course not. Now was there another reason for this call.”

“No,” replied Lionel. “That’s it for the moment.” And he hung up.

“Always a pleasure dad,” muttered Lex, and he hit the accelerator.

Chloe parked her car outside the very exclusive art gallery. “Boy do I feel underdressed,” she muttered as she made her way to the front door. She glanced down at her long skirt and colourful shirt. She entered the gallery and was greeted by a rather large security guard.

“Can I help you miss?” he asked.

“Hi my name is Chloe Sullivan, I have an appointment with Hannah Martin,” she said.

“One moment please,” he said and he disappeared into a small office. He appeared a minute later. “This way Miss Sullivan,” the guard said. Chloe followed him through the gallery to a medium sized office at the back. “Miss Martin will be with you soon,” and with that he walked away.

“Thanks,” called Chloe after him.

A couple of minutes later a young woman approached Chloe. She was dressed in a very expensive black suit, looking every inch the professional. “Chloe?”

Chloe smiled and held out her hand. “Nice to meet you Hannah.” The older woman shook it, “you too. Shall we go into my office to talk?”

Chloe nodded and followed. When they got inside Hannah led them over to two comfortable armchairs in one corner of the office. Both sat down.

“So Chloe what’s your interest in Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne?” asked Hannah as she poured them both a coffee.

Chloe proceeded to tell her about Bruce’s arrived in town, their interview and the obvious tension between the two billionaires. And how she had to find out what had happened.

“And how much do you know?”

Chloe then told her what Anthony Reynolds had said. She left out her involvement with Lex and Bruce. “And that’s it,” finished Chloe, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Poor Becky,” said Hannah, “such a tragic waste.” The other woman was silent for a few minutes.

“Belfield,” she began, “was a bit of a gathering place for the wild and idle rich kids. A lot of the students there had been kicked out of at least one other school. Becky and I had been in school together. Then I got kicked out and ended up in Belfield, a couple of months later Becky arrived.

What Anthony said was right, she and Lex hit it off immediately. And Becky really did fall in love with him at first sight. It was kind of weird watching them, the normally cold and calculated Lex and the totally in your face Rebecca Weaver. But around her he always seemed to laugh.

Bruce knew from the start that she was in love with Lex, but that didn’t stop him. Then he started getting really weird and possessive, always wanting to know where she was and whom she was with. And then the whole marriage talk started and that really freaked Becky out. And as Anthony told you, during one of her talks with Lex they ended up in bed together, and you know what happened after that.

What you probably weren’t told is that Bruce knew. He had some guy follow Becky around and he reported back about their little tryst complete with pictures of them. When Lex wrote the night off as a mistake Bruce was there to *comfort* her. She was really low she never thought Lex would reject her. And good old Bruce kept saying that it was to be expected, that Lex treated all women like this, etc. He also made sure she was never alone with Lex and then one day he proposed. Everyone was shocked when she accepted. I remember trying to talk to her and all she kept saying was ‘Bruce will look after me.’

Then the infamous engagement, God Bruce Wayne was like a man possessed the way he laid into Lex. When he had knocked Lex unconscious and Becky ran to his side, he ran out. No one saw or heard from him for two weeks.

The day he returned to Belfield was the same day Lionel Luthor announced Lex wouldn’t be returning. Becky was beside herself, Bruce was back, Lex was gone and she couldn’t contact him. That same afternoon he started his whole *hate* campaign against her. Did you know that he hung up the pictures of her and Lex around the place? God he humiliated her at every opportunity.

At this time I had started into drugs, so I wasn’t there for her. The morning all her unopened letters to Lex came back she cracked. The day before she had just discovered she was pregnant, and it was Lex’s. She got very drunk and tried drugs for the first time that night.

Two weeks later I accompanied her to a clinic to have an abortion. And she *celebrated* that night by shooting heroin for the first time. And the rest of the downward spiral you know all about right up to her overdose.”

Chloe felt like crying when Hannah had finished speaking. Poor Rebecca, poor Lex. God Bruce was a bastard. “Did Lex ever know?” she asked.

“About the baby, I don’t think so. We never saw him until the funeral and he left pretty soon after it. I was in rehab at the time and never spoke to him. And after a while I just decided to block out the past.”

Chloe nodded at her and fought the urge to hunt Bruce down and kill him. They continued talking for another while. “Oh my,” exclaimed Chloe, “I really need to head if I want to make it back to Smallville in time. Thank you again for speaking to me Hannah.”

“No problem Chloe. Hey I’d like to keep in touch,” she said.

“So would I,” replied Chloe with a smile. They walked out and shook hands at the main door.

“Chloe, stay away from Bruce Wayne, and if you get the opportunity give Lex Luthor a chance,” said Hannah with a smile.

“Thanks,” said Chloe with a smile back.

“That’s Chloe,” said Lex and he watched her leave the art gallery. “What’s she doing in Metropolis?” He made his way across the street and caught up with her as she reached her car.

“Chloe,” he said.

She turned around. “Lex,” she exclaimed, shock evident on her face. “What…what are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same myself,” he replied with a smirk.

“I…I had something to do in town, I’m heading back now, so bye.”

“Can you give me a ride?” he blurted out. “I busted something in my car getting here and it won’t be fixed till tomorrow,” he lied. ‘That was smooth Lex,’ he thought.

‘NO,’ her mind screamed. “Em…well…I…” she stammered. “Sure Lex,” she sighed, “let’s go.”

Chapter Twenty One – Back on Track

There wasn’t a word spoken between Lex and Chloe as they left Metropolis. Lex kept glancing at her as she drove along, wondering what she had been in Metropolis for. Chloe could feel his eyes on her. All she could think about was what Hannah had told her. Also the silence was driving her mad, she wasn’t use to being this quiet for so long.

“So what was so important that you had to ditch school for?” he asked.

‘Thank God,’ thought Chloe, ‘at last some talking.’ “There was just something I had to do,” she replied. “Why were you in town?”

“Needed to get out of Smallville for a while,” he said quietly.

“And then you busted your car.”

“What?” he said, “oh yes my car.”

“So what was the *something* that broke?”

‘The car excuse was a really bad one,’ he thought. “The brakes went, I guess I was speeding too much.”

Chloe nodded and they lapsed into silence again. After a while Chloe spoke. “Lex, can I ask you something personal?”

He thought about it for moment, “ok,” he said.

“Where you really in love with Rebecca Weaver?” she asked softly.

“Yes,” he said honestly, “very much so. And pushing her way that first time was one of the stupidest and most regrettable things I’ve ever done.”

“I’m sorry Lex, sorry for prying into your past and bringing up what were very painful memories. It’s just when Bruce Wayne arrived in Smallville and the tension between the two of you was so obvious…I had to find out what had happened. I never guessed it was such a tragic story.”

Lex sighed. “I wasn’t really that surprised Chloe. I can’t say I’m happy about it thought. But considering everything that has happened to you since all this started I guess you deserved to know the truth.”

Chloe laughed softly. “Can I ask *you* something personal Chloe?”

“Yes.”

“Pull over first,” he said. Chloe glanced at him quickly and looked for a place to pull into. A few minutes later she managed to pull over to the side of the road. She turned off the engine and faced Lex.

“Last Saturday at my place before Bruce arrived,” he began, “as you and I were on the couch, if Bruce hadn’t of interrupted us would you…would you of slept with me?”

Chloe blushed to new levels of redness at his question. She looked everywhere but at Lex. He gently put his hand under her chin and tilted her face till she looked at him.

“Would you Chloe?”

“Truth,” she said softly.

“I’d appreciate that,” he said with a smile.

“Truthfully Lex I don’t know, but I think…I think I would have,” she said. “You cause me to feel so many different emotions, and sometimes I can’t think straight.”

Lex smiled at her and took her face gently in his hands. “I meant what I said Chloe, this is real.” He leaned forward and kissed her gently. When she didn’t pull away he kissed her again, running his tongue along her bottom lip.

She opened her mouth and with a moan Lex deepened the kiss. Slowly and teasingly he moved his tongue through her mouth. Tentatively Chloe rested her hands on Lex’s chest and she slipped her tongue into his mouth.

They parted to catch their breath. “Have dinner with me tonight?” he whispered.

As much as her body was screaming at her to say yes she knew she couldn’t, not yet anyway. “Not yet Lex, it’s too soon.”

As disappointed as he was he could understand her reluctance. He smiled at her and kissed her again. This time she opened her mouth immediately for him. “Chloe,” he moaned as her tongue danced with his. Both lost in the taste of each other they forgot they were parked at the side of the road.

“We’d better head back,” panted Chloe when they parted. Lex nodded and released her from his arms.

“If not dinner,” he said with a smirk as she started the car, “how about a coffee later at the Talon?”

“What about Bruce?” he asked as she got back on the road to Smallville.

“What about him? I honestly don’t care what he thinks. Why Chloe, do you?”

“No, not at all,” she said. “It’s just this…well…*game* thing.”

Lex rested his hand on her knee and squeezed it gently. “It’s no game, at for me it isn’t. Please believe me on that.”

Chloe rested her hand on his. “Ok Lex, coffee it is then.”

After dropping Lex at his place Chloe made it to her house with an hour to spare before her dad got home. She was home ten minutes when Clark called over. “So where were you today?” he asked as she let him in.

“I had something to do,” she replied. “And please Clark leave it at that. I will tell you just not yet.”

“Ok Chloe,” he said with a smile. “Anyway here’s a present for you, your homework from today.”

“Gee thanks Clark, you really know how to treat a girl,” she said with a grin. “I suppose I’d better look over these, and my dad will be home soon and it’s my turn to make dinner.”

“I get the hint Chloe, I’m going. Will I see you at the Talon later?”

“Yep I’ll be there,” she said. “Bye and thanks again Clark.”

“Bye Chlo.”

When Chloe arrived at the Talon there was no sign of Lex or Clark. After looking around once more she made her way over to Lana.

“Hey Chloe feeling better?” said Lana with a smile. “Clark said you weren’t feeling great and that’s why you skipped school.”

‘I love you Clark,’ thought Chloe. “Much better Lana thanks. Can I get a mocha please?”

“No problem, one mocha coming up.”

Chloe busied herself with reading a newspaper that lay on the counter as Lana got her order. “There you go Chloe,” she said placing the coffee in front of her.

“Thanks,” she replied, digging into her pocket for money. “I’ll get this,” said a deep voice behind her, handing Lana the money. The brunette took it with a smile and headed off to serve another customer.

Chloe spun around to see Bruce Wayne smiling down at her. “Thank you,” she said and made to move away. Bruce rested both hands on the counter, effectively trapping Chloe between his arms.

“Mr Wayne,” she said, attempting to move again.

“Chloe, I just want to talk,” he said. She sighed, “ok.”

“Not here though,” he replied. Let’s go somewhere else.”

“I’m meeting someone here,” she replied. “So it’s here or nothing.”

‘Probably meeting Luthor,’ he thought and successfully managed to rein in his anger. “Fine,” he said through gritted teeth. “How about later? I can call by your place.”

Chloe bit her lip, she really didn’t want to talk to him, but she’d listened to Lex and Bruce was entitled to speak his part. Anyway she could always listen to him and then tell him to go away. “Ok Mr Wayne, later is fine,” she said.

“Call me when you get home,” he said. He moved his arms and headed out of the Talon.

‘I’ve got a bad feeling about this,’ she thought and moved to a table to wait for Lex.

Chapter Twenty Two – Collision Course

Clark stood at the counter, Lana was talking about…something, but he was more focussed on Chloe and Lex. The tension that had surrounded them a few days ago was gone, well sort of; it was now replaced with tension of a different kind. And he couldn’t quiet put his finger on what it was, but it was almost electric.

He watched intently as Lex said something to Chloe and she laughed. And then Lex laughed. Clark couldn’t help but smile himself as he watched them. He didn’t know what had happened between them but he was happy his two best friends were getting on so well. He watched them for a few more minutes then turned his attention back to Lana.

As he spoke to Chloe, Lex could, out of the corner of his eye, see Clark look at them. He seemed happy that they were getting on and soon turned his attention to Lana. Although Chloe hadn’t told him exactly why she was in Metropolis he guessed she was meeting with someone else from Belfield. But he didn’t care; she was here with him and at the moment that was all that mattered to Lex.

Chloe resting her hand on his thigh shook him from his musings. “Penny for them,” she said with a smile. “Although I’d say yours are worth a hell of lot more than that.”

Lex brushed her hair from her face. “I’m thinking of how much I want to kiss you right now. How I want to take you in my arms and kiss you breathless.” He lowered the tone of his voice and leaned towards her.

Chloe’s breath caught in her throat as she listened to him. Her hand tightened on his thigh. He gently blew on the shell of her ear and she whimpered.

“Want to leave now?” he whispered.

“Yes please,” she whispered back.

They quickly made their goodbyes to Clark and Lana and hurried outside. When they got too Lex’s car, Chloe grabbed him by his collar and kissed him. Her tongue demanding entrance, and Lex readily gave it. Lex moved him arms around her waist as the kiss deepened. He could taste the coffee and chocolate cake she had earlier. It was coupled with a taste that was purely Chloe Sullivan.

“Wow,” she said when they parted. Lex smiled and kissed her nose gently. “Where’s your car?” he asked looking around.

“It’s not well, otherwise known as no gas because of my trip to Metropolis, my dad dropped me off. It’s his bowling night so I probably won’t see him till the morning,” she said,

“Well then my lady allow me to escort you home,” he said, holding the door open for her. “Chloe laughed as she got in.

As the car pulled off David rang Bruce Wayne to say that they had left the Talon, he thought it prudent not to mention the kiss.

Bruce parked his car down the street from Chloe’s house, just out of sight and in the opposite direction that Lex would be coming. He sat there and waited.

The drive back to her house was quiet. Chloe was wrestling with telling Lex about her meeting with Bruce. ‘There’s no need too,’ a voice spoke up. ‘You are just going to hear him out and say goodbye.’

“You ok?” asked Lex.

“I’m fine,” she replied, “just a little tired.” Lex parked his car in front of Chloe’s house. “Thank you Chloe,” he said seriously.

“For what?”

“A second chance.”

She smiled at him and kissed him gently. “Thank you for the chance,” she said. They kissed again and Chloe got out of the car. Lex watched until she had entered the house and closed the door before driving off.

When she saw Lex’s car disappear from view she picked up the phone and dialled Bruce’s number. He answered almost immediately. “Mr Wayne, I’m home now if you want to come over to talk.”

“I’m on my way Chloe. See you soon.”

Chloe hung up and took a deep breath. “Let’s just get this over with,” she said. And headed into the kitchen to wait for Bruce to arrive.

Lex hung up his phone when he got the busy signal from Chloe’s number. ‘I’ll just go back and ask her,’ he thought, and turned his car back in the direction of her house.

As he got closer to her place he saw Bruce Wayne’s car pull up in front of it. “What the fuck is he doing her?” he said. He parked his own car down the street and got out, walking towards Chloe’s house, keeping out of sight.

He got as close as he could to be able to hear and see what went on without being noticed.

When the doorbell rang Chloe braced herself and opened the door. “That was quick Mr Wayne,” she said.

“I wasn’t that far away,” he replied. “Can I come in Chloe?”

“I think it would be better if we talked out here,” she said. She grabbed her jacket and threw it on as she stepped outside. They moved over to the porch and Chloe sat down on the seat while Bruce leaned against the railing.

‘What is going on,’ thought Lex from his vantage point.

“Chloe you can’t believe to imagine how sorry I am for what I said and called you on Saturday. It was completely uncalled for,” he said, his voice low. “I don’t know what came over me. I really like you Chloe and I guess I got jealous at seeing you and *him* together like that. I shouldn’t have directed my anger at you.”

“Bruce you shouldn’t of directed your anger at anyone,” said Chloe. “I guess I should be flattered you were jealous, but you and I shared on kiss and then I don’t hear from you. Ok it was nice but it’s not like I was expecting anything else. Then Lex asked me to dinner and well we all know how that ended.”

“There you go picking Luthor over me again,” snapped Bruce, his voice rising.

“Jesus, snap out of it, I am NOT Rebecca Weaver,” shot Chloe back. “That’s all this is for you, the whole Rebecca situation again. You, Lex and a blonde woman.”

“He took her from me,” said Bruce, “he killed her.”

“She took a drug overdose and killed herself. And from what I’ve been told it was *you* that pushed her to it. The way you humiliated her day after day.”

“She was a whore, she deserved no less.”

“And that’s how you justify driving a girl to suicide. She was in love with Lex and you just couldn’t accept it. So you put him in the hospital and treat her like dirt.”

Bruce moved and grabbed Chloe by her arms, dragging her in a standing position. “You are just like her,” he said.

“Let go Bruce, you’re hurting me.” She tried to struggle out of his grasp.

“He’ll just use you and dump you,” said Bruce. He tightened his grip on Chloe’s upper arms and she cried out in pain.

“LET HER GO.” Lex stepped out from where he was watching, pure fury written across his face.

Bruce dropped his hands and Chloe ran over to Lex. “Are you ok?” he asked softly. Chloe nodded.

“Well, well, I was wondering when you’d show up,” said Bruce, clenching his hands into fists.

“It’s time we stopped this Wayne, “said Lex, “Time we stopped it now.”

ruafair
19th April 2003, 00:47
Chapter Twenty Three – Out Comes The Truth

‘Oh God this is so not good,’ thought Chloe as she watched Lex and Bruce square up to each other. She put her hand on Lex’s arm. Lex took his eyes from Bruce and looked down at Chloe. “This isn’t worth it,” she whispered. “This should have happened a long time ago,” he whispered back.

He turned his attention back to Bruce; “you have refused to let it go, you have kept Rebecca’s memory alive by using it to keep this hatred for me burning. Fine, hate me all you like in fact get in line. But do not soil the memory of a wonderful woman just so you can exonerate yourself from the guilt.”

“Guilt,” spat out Bruce, “why the hell should I feel guilt? I didn’t disappear after that night and never return to Belfield.”

“That’s a pathetic excuse Wayne and you know it. I had no say over that, my dear old father decided to ship me off to Europe. Any messages I sent to Rebecca were sent back unopened.”

Chloe gasped when she heard this and Lex turned to look at her. “I was told by the two people who spoke to me that your father sent back all the messages and letters Rebecca sent you all unopened. She didn’t know where you were so she sent them to him and he returned them to her.”

A look of pain flashed across Lex’s face as he discovered yet another reason to hate his father. “I never knew,” he whispered softly.

“Well isn’t that tragic,” said Bruce with a sneer.

“Jesus what is your problem?” said Chloe to Bruce. She was beginning to lose her temper with him now. “You go on and on about how much you loved this girl and yet at every opportunity you call her a whore and say she deserved everything that happened to her. My God she took her own life, nobody deserves to be pushed so far that the feel the only way out of it is to take their own life.”

“She was my girlfriend, my fiancée and HE,” pointing at Lex, “took her.”

“You sound like a broken record,” said Chloe. “Rebecca was Lex’s friend before you even met her.”

“Tell me Bruce,” said Lex, “Did she ever tell you she loved you?”

“She didn’t need too, I knew she did,” he replied, although he didn’t sound very confident. “And what do you know about anything?” he said looking at Chloe, “you talk to a couple of people and suddenly you know about everything that went on.”

“I know more than you think,” she said.

“Ok then, let’s hear what the reporter knows.”

“I don’t think that would be a good idea Bruce,” said Chloe, “because Lex will kill you if I was tell what I know.”

Lex took her hand, “Please Chloe tell me.”

She looked between the two of them and clutched Lex’s hand tighter. “I found out that the day your father Lex said you wouldn’t be back to Belfield was the day Bruce returned. And that was also the day his little campaign against Rebecca began. He also knew about that first night the two of spent together, in fact he even had pictures which he put up around Belfield.”

Lex paled with shock and glared at Bruce, who by now was starting to look very uncomfortable.

“I was in Metropolis earlier meeting with Hannah Martin,” she continued, “and it was she that told me this.”

“Is that true Wayne?”

“Hannah Martin was a junkie,” was Bruce’s reply.

“And one of Becky’s closest friends,” said Lex.

“That’s not all,” she Chloe quietly, and both men looked at her again. “The morning Rebecca received all the unopened letters she had sent you was a double blow to her Lex, because the day before she had just discovered that she was pregnant.”

“Oh my God,” gasped Lex, “and was it…was it?”

“Yes it was yours,” said Chloe. “Hannah said that news and then receiving the letters back was devastating for her and she tried drugs for the first time that day. Two weeks later Hannah accompanied Rebecca to a clinic here she had an abortion, and that night was the first time she took heroin. After that she just continued to go downhill.”

Lex couldn’t speak, he felt like he couldn’t breathe. Rebecca had been pregnant, with his child and he hadn’t been there for her. He felt his legs shake and if it hadn’t been for Chloe he would have fallen to the ground.

“I’m so sorry Lex,” whispered Chloe, “and sorry that you had to find out this way.” She glanced over at Bruce and saw that he was just as shocked. He hadn’t known she was pregnant either.

“I didn’t know,” said Bruce.

“Would it of made any difference?” snarled Lex. He moved away from Chloe and towards the other man.

‘Oh shit,’ thought Chloe and started moving to put herself between the two men.

“Would your little campaign of stopped had you known or would you have just pushed her harder?”

“Lex,” said Chloe, putting her hand on his arm again. Lex just shrugged it off and continued towards Bruce. “She killed my baby and herself because of you.” Before anyone could stop him Lex lashed out and punched Bruce hard. The force of the punch caused Bruce to stumbled backwards and he fell to the ground, blood pouring from his nose.

“I didn’t know,” Bruce repeated as he tried to stand up. Lex went to hit him again and Chloe stood in front of him. “Lex.”

“Get out of my way Chloe,” he said. “No,” she said firmly, “what are going to achieve if you beat the crap out of him? Nothing at all, she will still be dead.”

“I don’t know, I need…I need to do something,” he said, desperation in his voice.

Chloe’s heart broke for him; she took him in her arms and held him close. She turned slightly so that Lex’s back was to Bruce.

“Go,” she said to Bruce. “Now,” she added when he didn’t move.

He stood up and slowly moved away. He got into his car and glanced once at Chloe and Lex before driving off.

Lex buried his face in Chloe’s hair and wrapped his arms around her. She rubbed slow circles on his back whispering softly to him. He couldn’t hold back anymore and let the tears fall. Chloe tightened her hold on him, and felt tears fill her own eyes.

They stood like that for a few moments and then Lex took a shuddering breath. He pulled back slightly but kept his arms around her.

“Ok?” she asked softly. Lex nodded and kissed her forehead.

Chloe took his hand and led him into the house. “I should probably get home,” he said.

“No,” she replied, “you shouldn’t be alone now. You can have the spare room. I know my dad is cool and all but I don’t think he’d be happy finding you and I…” She trailed off blushing.

Lex squeezed her hand gently, “I understand, and thank you.” She took him to the spare room and stayed with him till he fell asleep.

The following morning was very surreal. Chloe had waited up for her dad and explained to him what had happened and that Lex Luthor was asleep in the spare room. Although she left out about how close she and Lex had become. And for about the hundredth time Chloe thanked the Gods for having the best dad in the world. He didn’t completely understand everything that had gone on but said he trusted her and could understand Lex being upset.

So here the three of them sat at the Sullivan kitchen table, with Lex and her dad looking at each other strangely.

“Well I’m heading to work,” said Gabe. “Bye sweetie,” he said to Chloe, kissing her cheek. “Mr Luthor I’ll see you later.”

“Bye Gabe,” said Lex, “and thanks.”

Chloe walked with her ad to the front door. She hugged him tightly, “you are the best,” she whispered.

“At least you didn’t get sued,” he said with a smile, hugging her back. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bye dad.” When he had left she went back to the kitchen. “He’s a good man,” said Lex.

“The best,” she replied.

“Come on Chloe, I’ll drive you to school.”

“Are you going to be ok?” Chloe asked, when the reached the school.

“I’ll be fine,” he said, “I’ll call you later.”

“Ok,” she said and kissed him gently.

He waited till she had gone into the school before driving off.

Bruce staggered out of his bed, his head and nose hurt, as did his heart. He stumbled to the door and opened it. Surprise and shock covered his face as he saw Lex standing there. “Can I come in?” asked Lex.

Bruce stood back and let the other man in, closing the door after him.

Chapter Twenty Four – Burying The Hatchet

The two men sat opposite each other in complete silence. And had been for about ten minutes. One still dressed in the same clothes from the night before, although they were now very crumpled. The other clad in silk pyjamas with a still slightly bloodied nose.

“That looks nasty,” said Lex after a moment, his voice sounding very loud in the quietness of the room.

“It is,” Bruce replied. “That’s quite a left hook you have.”

“Well you hit pretty hard yourself,” replied Lex, rubbing his cheek.

“I…” Both men said at the same time, and a small smile appeared on each.

“You go first,” said Lex.

“I swear Lex, I didn’t know she was pregnant. And I can honestly say I don’t know if it would have made a difference. I’d like to think it would, but the way I was feeling back then I’m not so sure it would have. I was so angry and with you not being there I took it all out on Rebecca. I know she didn’t deserve it but I couldn’t help myself. I loved her so much and knew she didn’t love me but that…that didn’t matter. I always believed that one day she would, that she’d get over you and love me.”

“I never thought I’d fall in love with her, I didn’t want to fall in love with her,” said Lex. “We were friends and believe me that was enough. I didn’t have any real friends till her and I so did not want to screw that up. But when she started seeing you, I let the feelings for her that I had buried inside me explode. And when she came to talk to me about you and your mention of marriage I just couldn’t hold back. And that night we let things go too far. So in my *wisdom* I did the usual Luthor thing and wrote it off as a mistake and treating her like I did any woman I had a slept with.”

“And I celebrated,” said Bruce. “Took your rejection of her as a sign and really pushed things forward with her. Yes I was possessive and yes I had her followed around, I just didn’t want to lose her.”

Lex laughed softly. “Why couldn’t of we sat down and talked like this before? Why did a whole load of crap had to happen beforehand?”

“Because we are both stubborn bastards and I think things had to reach a peak before we realised just how far we had taken this. Well I had taken this,” said Bruce, with a smile of his own.

“If Chloe could see us now,” said Lex.

“Now there is someone I really need to get down on my hands and knees in front of and beg for forgiveness. God I feel so ashamed when I think of how I treated her.”

“I think you’ll find she’ll forgive you. She a pretty amazing woman,” said a wistful Lex, as he pictured the blonde reporter. “And I am not going to mess things up this time.”

“Yes she is,” agreed Bruce. “And you had better not.”

They fell silent again for a while. Then Bruce took a deep breath and spoke; “I am sorry Lex, for everything. I’m sorry for ruining what could have been a very happy life for you and Rebecca.” And as soon as he had spoken the words Bruce felt a sense of relief. It was as if a weight had been lifted from him. ‘I definitely should have done this a long time ago,’ he thought.

Lex, for his part, was slightly baffled. He had never for a moment thought that Bruce would have apologised just like that. He smirked at the other man, “this still doesn’t mean we are friends.”

“As if,” said Bruce, with a smirk of his own. He held out his hand to Lex, “for Becky.” Lex shook the other man’s hand, “for Becky,” he said.

Chloe was getting a bit worried, she had tried ringing Lex when she got home from school but there had been no answer from his phone. She had even called the plant but they said he hadn’t been in all day.

“I hope he hasn’t done anything stupid,” she said. “Oh maybe that’s him,” when she heard the doorbell ring. She ran out to open the door and was greeted by a man holding a huge bouquet of roses in his hands.

He lowered them and she gasped when she saw it was Bruce Wayne.

“Peace offering,” he said with a smile. Chloe looked at him with disbelief all over her face.

“Please Chloe,” he said a hint of pleading in his voice.

She stood back and let him in. “These are for you,” he handed her the flowers. “Thank you,” she said, taking them.

“Lex came to see me this morning,” he began.

“Oh God is he alright? You haven’t buried his body somewhere.”

“He’s fine. We talked, really talked and got through some issues. I know, I know, why couldn’t we have done that before? And honestly I don’t know, I guess we were both too stubborn.”

“I need to sit down,” said Chloe. “I think I’ve stumbled into the twilight zone or something.” She headed into the kitchen, closely followed by Bruce, and sat on at the table. He took the seat beside her.

“I’m sorry Chloe, for the way I acted and spoke to you,” he said sincerely. “You were right, I was holding onto Rebecca’s memory for all the wrong reasons. And because I was still in that mind set, meeting you and seeing you and Lex together just brought everything to the boil again.”

“What brought all this about?” she asked, still baffled.

“Like I said, Lex called by and we talked. I guess with your revelations everything hit a peak last night and the fight got knocked out of both Lex and I.”

“Men,” muttered Chloe, “I’ll never understand them.”

“So can we be friends?”

Chloe smiled at him; “I’d like that Bruce.” They continued talking for a little while longer.

“I’m leaving Smallville tonight,” he said as they walked back out to the front door. “I need to go back home. Can I call you sometime Chloe, just to talk?”

She kissed his cheek, “of course you can. I like the idea of having Bruce Wayne as a friend. And at least if I ever go to Gotham City I’ll have someone there I know.”

“You will always be welcome in Gotham Chloe,” he said, kissing her gently.

“Bye Bruce, safe trip.”

“Bye Chloe and thanks.”

“Wow nice flowers,” said Lex as Chloe led him into the kitchen.

“Bruce Wayne dropped by earlier with them and a very heartfelt apology,” she said. “What exactly happened between the two of you? Because I still think I’m in the twilight zone or an episode of the X-Files.”

“We talked.”

“That’s what he said. And you’re not going to tell me anymore are you?”

“Nope,” he said with a smirk. “Bruce and I are never going to be friends in the true sense of the word, too much has happened, but at least now we won’t want to kill each other the next time we meet. I think we’ve managed to lay Rebecca to rest.”

Chloe grabbed her coat from the back of the chair, “I’m ready to go,” she said. “Dad, I’m going out for something to eat with Lex,” she shouted.

“Bye sweetie, have fun, don’t be too late. Bye Lex.” Gabe didn’t quite know how to feel about this change in his daughter’s relationship with his boss, but then again Chloe never ceased to surprise him, so he figured he’d go with the flow. “Anyway,” he murmured to himself as he turned on the television. “At least if they are friends I won’t have to worry about any legal fees.”

“Lex, will you tell me about Rebecca someday? The good things,” she asked as they drove along.

“I will,” he replied. “Hey I can start now. She was smart, beautiful, funny, and stubborn as a mule, snarky, not afraid to speak her mind. Oh wait a minute that’s you isn’t it?”

“Ha. Ha Luthor.”

“Inquisitive nature, persistent, made me laugh, oh wait that’s you again.”

“Jeez check out the comedian,” she said with a grin.

“I’ll tell you the one good thing about Bruce Wayne coming to Smallville,” said Lex, his tone becoming serious again. “I don’t think I would have acted on my feelings for you if he hadn’t.”

Chloe smiled at him and linked her hand with his. “So all the crap was worth with?” she asked, her tone half-serious.

“Yes you were worth it Chloe,” he replied, lifting their hands and kissing hers gently.

“So…” she began, “I was thinking of taking a trip to Gotham City fairly soon, I have this friend there that I’m sure will make me feel welcome.”

“Really,” said Lex, catching her tone. “Well it just so happens that I’ve been thinking about *buying* some property in Gotham. So I would really need to take a trip there myself soon.”

“Well Mr Luthor isn’t that a coincidence,” she laughed.

“I know Miss Sullivan, isn’t it crazy how that happened,” he said with a laugh of his own.

And so the banter continued as they made their way into town.

The End

Julie
19th April 2003, 00:47
W's gonna love you for this! :D

ryuu-chan
22nd April 2003, 22:00
Originally posted by Julie@Apr 19 2003, 12:47 AM
W's gonna love you for this! :D
I do!!!

:wub:

kidkarmina
25th July 2003, 17:27
That was such a fun ride :blinkkiss: ! I like it when there's a love triangle and Chloe is in the middle of it :devil: !

Luv this fic **sigh** :wub:. I really feel for Rebecca; too bad this fic is over :sad: !

Brittany
27th July 2003, 04:48
I read this fic like forever ago and I still love to read it! This is definitely one of the best & I also think it was one of the 1st chlex fics that had Bruce Wayne in it, very original. Anyway it's nice to read an old classic! :worship2:

lunaluthor
27th July 2003, 16:42
excellent story thank you so much for it you are agreat writer
love to read more :worship2: :yay: :worship2: :yay: :worship2:

miss_sixty1115
4th November 2003, 21:07
Wow! :ohmy: Oh my god what an amazing story!!! Love it so much!!!! :wub:

I read in Malu's site
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/malufanf...rkknights24.htm (http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/malufanfics/darkknights24.htm)
that you'll maybe do a sequel... Well I'd love it!!! :biggrin: Are you going to do one? Hope so...
Can't wait to read more fics because you're just a very very good writer!!!! I loved all your fics and yet I haven't read them all!!!!!

Julie ;)

Val
6th November 2003, 01:33
That was GREAT! :biggrin:
And a sequel?? Yay!!! Please???

pop55
18th November 2003, 21:40
OH MY GOD you have no idea how much i love your fic!! It's was so beautiful and so...i don't know how say it in english, but wonderful... I love it i love it!!!!! :worship2:

autumngold
20th November 2003, 08:02
I love this story so much!! I hope the rumors of a sequel are true!! That would be just awesome!! Please don't let Chloe get together with Bruce though, she's much better with Lex!! :biggrin: I absolutely love your writing!! :wub: I can't wait to read your next Chlex fic!! :chlexsign4:

Sab_Luthor
24th November 2003, 12:02
Originally posted by autumngold@Nov 20 2003, 07:02 AM
I love this story so much!! I hope the rumors of a sequel are true!! That would be just awesome!! Please don't let Chloe get together with Bruce though, she's much better with Lex!! :biggrin: I absolutely love your writing!! :wub: I can't wait to read your next Chlex fic!! :chlexsign4:
yes that's right that was an awsome fic so lovely
i truly loved it
i hope you do a sequel soon

katspell
8th April 2004, 06:48
*big sigh* I enjoyed that so much. Now I'm going to get off the comp b4 my hubby kills me.

becky
9th April 2004, 02:16
I blame you entirely for making me stay up half the night to read this fabulous fic. Now i'm only gonna get 5 hours sleep!! :huh: But hey, i'd do it all over again, any night of the week. Compulsive reading!!

~Becky~

Ainur
26th January 2005, 07:26
I don't know why but I thought it was going to end badly. With BW dead. Don't know why. Fun fic.

pixie of dollywood
1st May 2005, 22:53
Wow...I can't believe I've never seen this fic before. It was great. Amazing. So good I totally blow off studying for an exam. But it was well worth it! I loved the story, your characterizations, everything!

Willower
9th May 2005, 10:57
what a diamond in the rough of my finals cramming! great story :grin3:

pipersmum
16th June 2005, 02:15
I enjoyed it loved the triangle between Lex, Chloe and Bruce :grin3: Plus there was not alot of Lana in it :nsparty:

kimmie
26th June 2005, 02:28
Wow, i love this fic!!!

Kimmie

darkangel
9th July 2005, 07:48
This was a very kool fic.

ggdoll18
14th July 2005, 09:17
excellent!!!!

stwbrrydelight
11th September 2005, 13:15
cute, wonderful, nail biting...all in one
this thing kept me awake during the hard hours of an overnight 12 hour shift (while running on only 4hrs sleep)
look forward to others

teb85
20th September 2005, 22:05
fantastic ! I love it! great work once again !

starmoon
2nd December 2005, 18:29
love this story i feel bad for Rebecca she didn't deserve to be treated the way she was. i hate lional and bruce for what they did. i am gald that bruce and lex have a truce and i frogive bruce but don't like him in this story. i am gald that chloe and lex are together i am sure they can be truly happy with one another.

spaceboi's pixie
5th December 2005, 06:27
excellent fic

noirrobin
15th December 2005, 21:08
I really loved the Lex/Chloe/Bruce triangle. I was happy that things got resolved so nicely in the ending.

Tanschana
11th May 2008, 04:38
Really liked the story! I've got to admit, that I couldn't decide which ending I would prefer Chloe/Lex or Chloe/Bruce. That is until all the background information was brought in. I like the way you settled the story in the end, it didn't feel as if something was missing.

Selece
8th June 2008, 06:06
Wow, this story is kick butt awesome! I'm really getting into the whole "Bruce Wayne makes an appearance" thing. He's like the perfect antagonist. Lovely writing as always. I'm definitely going to be reading this story again and again. <3

persephone47
6th September 2008, 21:21
Such a lovely story. I really liked the interviews with the high school friends and the story of Rebecca.

malugargula
30th July 2009, 17:38
I like Chluce... Not as much as I like Chlex, of course
;)
Great fic, just re-read it

Ami Rose
30th May 2013, 22:48
I was almost in tears reading bout Becky. Great fic and loved the Bruce and Lex forgave eachother. Amazing job!