PDA

View Full Version : Heaven Can't Wait (PG-13)

Catheryne
19th October 2004, 09:50
I have made a deal with myself to edit some of my favorite original stories or fanfic to Chlex them. It works on some, like Another Forever and Zenogaea (to those who had the chance to read them). There are some fics that are screaming Chlex to me, some not so much.

I will now set your expectations. This is an original story I wrote a looong time ago. I think I was fourteen. Anyway, whenever I just find it in my disks I change it a bit for each fandom. So consider this AU.

Heaven Can't Wait

The grass was green on her grave when he first discovered the undeniable truth, when he first visited. I can still remember the lone figure standing under the rain. How long he stayed there looking down at the marble marker I do not know. All I know is that I have never seen anyone look so lost and alone as the good doctor did when returned. He must have had some idea. He must have realized that this was a possibility. Perhaps he'd raised his hopes too much that he was able to convince himself of a lie.

As I watch him fall onto his knees before her grave, his shoulders slumped and racked with silent sobs, his trousers deep into the muddy grass, I realize that I cannot blame him. I remember every moment of that romance, and I have not the words to describe what the doctor and my cousin shared. I would forever be grateful to Dr. Luthor for making her last days a piece of heaven.

I look back to those painful days with a smile, because she was fulfilled.

--

He'd been sent to this forsaken town to heal. Where he had finished his education in the East, his superiors had claimed that they have never seen a doctor quite like him and his brother. They believed that they had some sort of magic touch. After all, no one had ever died on their table, and he was sure that no one ever would. Their reputation had become so highly regarded that they had been sent for by the wealthy mayor Gabriel Sullivan to be the resident doctors of the town. They had agreed at once. There was too much pressure back home. Their father was already most renowned and well respected in his field. Here, Alexander and Lucas Luthor would have the freedom to try their ideas and new medications on their patients. What would you have to heal in this sort of community? Broken bones, bruises. A birth here and there. That occasional bullet.

But Alexander was sure that there was more. A man like Gabriel Sullivan did not send off across the continent for reputed young doctors just to have his constituents taken care of. There was a catch to this. A challenge. And he was sure to find out what it was today.

He was a little nervous. Between the two of them, Lucas was the more brilliant, with Alexander earning half the glory because they treated patients together. But on the way here they passed by a small thatched eatery along the desert that caught Luke in the trap that a young night-haired waitress set up. One look into the girl’s eyes and Alexander knew he would alone ride into the Sullivan ranch. The waitress bit into the pie his brother handfed her and promptly choked. Lucas saved her life, and lost his heart at the same time. It was a classic moment, that. Lucas held the waitress’ hand as he asked how she fared. The moment Alexander saw the twinkle in his little brother’s eye, he knew that it was the beginning of the end, and Lucas would hang around.

Alexander Luthor then, the brother whose main strength was rebellion, was the lone doctor where two were expected.

--

Perhaps had the good doctor known what was in store for him in our town, he would have turned back before stepping out of the carriage that took him here, where his fate was. Had he been made aware of what lay in wait for him, he would have run away. Or would he not have? Yes, he could be so noble as to have stayed just for the sake of the treasure that he would hold and lose. Have you ever held gold dust in your hands? Did you feel the power of running your fingers through it? Has the wind ever blown it away? Same kind of desperation… But at least you felt the sheer pleasure of holding it for a minute a two.

--

He rode into the ranch house that afternoon to pay his respects to his employer. He had been told that he would set up practice immediately. He was glad to see that a clinic had been set up for him at the main street. It was a small but finely furbished office with a nameplate that said, "Alexander Luthor, MD." Alexander could not explain how it felt to see his name proudly embossed like that. He had to thank Mayor Sullivan.

The long drive that led to the ranch house was interesting. It was a beautiful land. The wide expanse was perfect with the rich grass and several trees. Without thought he let his mount wander from the stone path. It was exhilarating to be able to ride free again after the cramped cities in the east. Breathless from the ride he looked around him and saw that he did not know what direction to take back to the drive.

Fortunately he saw a young woman, with hair so bright it was silver and gold spun together, reading on a swing. He urged his mount to a walk towards her. "Good afternoon, ma'am."

She looked up from the small hardbound book. "May I help you, sir?"

She had the most astounding green eyes. They were pools to drown in. He felt somewhat captivated. But he was a man of science. He did not get spellbound. "I veered from the path to the ranch house and to my embarrassment, I am lost. Will you help me find my way?"

"I do not see you in a red cape."

"What do you mean?"

"Just that you do not look like a Red Riding Hood to me. You are not even little." She gave him a faint smile that he could swear was enchanted. It set his heart palpitating at once. "But never mind. I will lead you to the path."

He truly was caught under a spell. "I am in no hurry," he found himself saying. He got down from his horse and tied it to the tree. His eyes never leaving the ethereal figure, he sat on the other swing. "What is it that you are reading?"

She handed the book to him. "Christina Rossetti."

"This marked page. Is this where you are now?"

She shook her head. "No. But it is one of my favored ones."

"Remember," he read the poem's title. "I've heard about her. She has a way about her, does she not? Now this is a surprise. Goblin Market is not the one you picked. I would have thought… because you looked like a fairy."

The tinge of pink on the otherwise pale cheeks pleased him. "No. I am quite different. Not because it’s the most popular I would enjoy it most." There was a trace of acid in her answer, too subtle to accuse her of being a harpy, but still present and made his eyebrow arch.

"Different is such a common word. You are unique." He glanced down at the page and read. “Remember me when I am gone away / Gone far away into the silent land / When you can no more hold me by the hand / Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay / Remember me when no more day by day / You tell me of the future that you planned / Only remember me you understand / It will be late to counsel then or pray.” He looked up at the silent girl and asked, "Why so sad a choice?"

"I shall tell you later. But now continue reading. It is a crime to the poet to stop amidst her masterpiece."

“Yet if you should forget me for awhile / Then afterwards remember do not grieve / For if the darkness and corruption leave / A vestige of thoughts that once I had / Better by far, you should forget me and smile / Than that you should remember and be sad.” Alexander waited for the girl to respond. She sat there, looking at the setting sun. "It is not advisable to stare at the sun so. You will ruin your eyes." Again that faint smile. "Do you wish to spend your old age blind?"

"Yes," she replied. "How amazing that would be."

"I do not understand you."

Again, she did not speak. "I favor Remember because of its stunning lyrical quality. Don't you agree? Rossetti created a fabulous piece of poetry there. I have even set it to music."

He let her change the topic. "Do you sing?"

"My cousin Lois and I both adore music.” He gave her back the book. "Shall we go? It’s getting late."

Alexander untied the horse. "Where is your mount?"

"I have none. They usually send a carriage for me."

"I'll take you up on my horse then. Or do you wish to wait for them?"

She stroked the horse's neck and turned to look at Alexander. "Lift me up."

--

When she told me about that first meeting, I knew at once that the doctor had made quite an impression on her. She was, after all, a dreamer at heart. She had always known that one day, her prince would come. And because I knew that my uncle sent for the doctors Luthor to be my cousin's doctors, I found it particularly tragic. I didn’t care that only one arrived. It didn’t make a difference. Uncle sent for the doctor not to heal Chloe. We all knew it would be impossible. He merely wanted to fill Chloe's last months with hope. I only feel sad that we had to destroy a man to do it. Because believe me, we have destroyed Dr. Luthor.

--

"Welcome, doctor, to my town," greeted the mayor as they sat down at the long table. "We are glad you decided to favor us with your practice."

Alexander shook the mayor's hand. "And I thank you for the clinic you had set up."

"Don't mention it. I am only disappointed Lucas was unable to occupy his room. But that’s love! There is nothing we can do,” he pronounced jovially. “We are only too proud to have you among us. Have you met any of the town's folk?"

"I've met one or two."

"Well you will meet my daughters tonight—well my daughter and her cousin, but still as close to me as my own. They're joining us for dinner."

"I think I've met one of them. Very lovely." Alexander knew from the satisfied smile on the mayor's face that he hit the right spot. The fathers around here usually wanted the best catch for their daughters. An eastern educated doctor, who was son of the wealthiest medical practitioner of the Old States, would be the perfect man.

"Yes, indeed. Maybe you can invite her to a picnic or to church on Sunday." He paused and looked up at the door. "Well here they are." Alexander saw the two young women enter the room. "Girls, this is the doctor, Alexander Luthor. Dr. Luthor, my daughter Lana and my little brother’s perfect angel Lois." He motioned to Lois to come to him and a whispered conversation ensued, of which Alexander was able to catch only parts.

"Where-" "Is she all right?" "Like before-" "Did they give-" "Same dosage-" "Visit-"

Alexander was disappointed that the girl he had met was not Gabriel Sullivan's daughter. It would have been so easy to ask for leave to court her, seeing as how the man seemed to take to him on the spot. Gabriel asked to be excused. "Lana and Lois will keep you entertained. There is something I must see to at the moment. I beg your pardon."

Alexander nodded courteously to his host. But had not the girl mentioned having a cousin named Lois? Surely that would be too much of a coincidence. "I'm sure you leave me in pleasant company, sir." When Mayor Sullivan had left the room, Alexander looked over the two young women with him at the table. "This may be rude to ask but do you have another cousin, sister?"

Lois and Lana looked at each other. Lois slowly nodded her head. "How do you know this, Dr. Luthor?"

"I thought I met her just a while ago. I took her up with me on the horse on the way back here."

Lois's jaw slackened. "You did?" She turned to Lana and Lana rushed out of the dining room.

"Where is she going?"

"She's going to inform uncle that Chloe rode a horse home this afternoon. We were bothered by the cause of the recurrence of the pain. Now we know it's the jarring movement of the ride. Perhaps you should see her now. I know for a fact that uncle sent for you not for his men, but to attend to Chloe."

--

I know it was not fair of me to just relay the facts to him the way I did. From Chloe's short narration when she arrived, I had gathered that she and the doctor shared an almost instant intense attraction. But I was still mad at him for causing this new bout of pain for my cousin. He did not know. It is not fair that I did it. Yet who can blame me? I loved Chloe so much, still do as a matter of fact. Death cannot cut the bonds I have long ago forged with my cousin. I acted too rashly, but I would never regret it. Deep down, I know Dr. Luthor does not regret a moment spent with her, even though those moments were the most difficult he had ever undergone.

With each rising and setting of the sun, I knew the end came nearer. He would lovingly tend to her as the cancer held her under its grip. There were good days, and he could take her with him, strolling in the gardens or just sitting with her in front of the fire, reading from that little book she always had with her.

And then there were bad days, of which only Dr. Luthor could explain lucidly. He was the unfortunate one exposed to them. He was the one who had to suffer through all of them. When neither Lana nor I could take it for the love we bore Chloe, his love forced him to be with her.

--

"Will you read it to me?" asked the faint voice that had become the most endearing sound to his ears in the span of a few months. Alexander took the book from her frail hands and opened it to the marked page. Upon looking at the title, his eyes snapped back to her closed eyes. She knew how he felt, as he knew her feelings. And with each day he spent with her, Alexander felt his heart breaking little by little. He feared that the moment would come when he would no longer have emotions. She was taking everything with her as she slipped ever so close to death.

No one had ever told him such feelings existed. How could he have guessed that when she said, "How lovely it would be to spend my old age blind," she was uttering the fervent wish to be given a chance to live? In all his years in medical school, Alexander had never felt the paralyzing helplessness he felt when Chloe would grab hold of a tree and bite her lips to keep from crying out at the pain.

When he first checked on her, he had asked her how it felt, in vain attempt to pinpoint what disease it was that she bore. Chloe had opened tear-filled eyes and looked directly into his soul as she described the pain. "It feels," she whispered. "It feels as though I were decaying from the inside. Pain is eating me alive. I cannot move." She had paused for the longest time. He could see in her face the internal battle being waged as she fought off the waves of pain. "Doctor, tell it that I am still alive. My bones are being corrupted. I am decomposing and I am still alive!"

Alexander could do nothing but hold her hand. He had heard of such illnesses, and knew there was no cure. What selfishness had Gabriel Sullivan that he had done this to him, exposed him to such an experience when he was an aspiring young healer? This… this devastation would scar him for life.

But as he looked at her face, this beautiful creature who struck him as gentle and kind, but still spirited and intelligent, when he had met her, he knew that if he could not give her back her life, he would as well try to take away the pain. "Laudanum." He drew out the dark bottle from his bag. "Take this." And she had. It was the peaceful mask that had settled over her face that contented him somewhat. She did not deserve the pain.

Alexander took a deep breath and began to read. "When…when I am dead." He stopped and looked down at her. She lay back in the rocking chair in front of the fire, eyes closed, listening. Lois and Lana stepped inside the room. "When I am dead, my dearest, sing no sad…songs for me." Alexander took a deep breath and Lana smiled in comprehension. She took the book from Alexander and walked to the piano.

"Chloe," Lois whispered. "Lana had found your music, and we would be honored if you will let us play for you. You always played well for us."

Lana played the first notes and Lois waited for her entry.

“When I am dead, my dearest, / Sing no sad songs for me. / Plant thou no roses at my head, / Nor shady cypress tree. / Be the green grass above me / With showers and dewdrops wet. / And if thou wilt, remember, / And if thou wilt, forget.”

Chloe had opened her eyes, watching her cousins play together. It was the first time they've made music, Lois and Lana. It had always been her and Lois, or her and Lana. The largest worry she had in leaving them was the fact that they would never be together without her to hold them both. At least now, they have eased one of her burdens.

Chloe asked Alexander to help her up. He supported her as she painfully made her way to the piano. Chloe sat beside Lana and joined Lois in singing. Her voice was soft, but Alexander felt it break through his heart all the same.

“I shall not see the shadows / I shall not feel the rain / I shall not hear the nightingale / Sing on as if in pain.”

Lois's eyes watered, and her voice trailed off to let Chloe finish the song on her own.

“And dreaming through the twilight / That doth not rise nor set / Haply may remember, and haply may forget.”

--

And so it was that Lana and I were able to give Chloe the most precious gift ever. But I digress. I wish to speak about the good doctor. And his almost tangible bond with my cousin.

It hurts my heart to remember that day, not too long ago. Although we knew that it was coming, the shock and grief I felt at that moment was unparalleled. He had taken her for a walk in the garden, just like he always did before. I watched from my room, for it overlooked the flowers. His arm was wrapped around her waist more as a sign of affection but also as support. The months had paled her cheeks so. She was frail and delicate as a newborn kitten.

They were probably discussing what they always did-- from a topic so mundane as the fair weather to discussions as grave as the life awaiting a soul after the body's demise. But I feel that at the moment it happened, they spoke of hope. From my vantage point I could see the sparkle in her dulling eyes. His face was animated as he mutely described the wonders he would take her to see.

How unfortunate that the beginning of the end came then.

--

"I have been working on a cure."

"But, Alexander, you and I and all the world know that there is none."

Alexander took her hands in his as he looked down upon her face. "Chloe, I will find a cure. My brother and I correspond, and even if I am a failure as a doctor, he is the most talented healer.” Her soft fragrant fingers rested on his lips to silence him. She never liked to hear him speak of himself as though he were less than anyone else. “I promise you. There is still so much that I have not shown you. I wish to take you to a city where the roads are water."

"Is there really such? How could it be!"

He was glad that he had captured her interest. "There are no horses in the city of Venice, only gondolas."

"Gondolas? Is this some new creature they have replaced horses with?"

Alexander chuckled softly. "No, no, my love. They are boats, pretty and long. And this is why I will give anything to heal you. You must first come to Venice with me. For our honeymoon."

"You’re raising my hopes high."

"Because I will find a cure!" he claimed fervently.

"Then I will pray for-" Alexander saw her eyes flash with pain. He caught her elbows when her knees would no longer support her. She moaned as her entire body was overtaken by the pain. "Uuuuhh! It comes again…" He lifted her up in his arms and proceeded to her room, carefully laying her down on the bed. She was sobbing with pain.

Alexander ran both hands down his face as she watched her struggle with the illness. Deep in his heart, he knew that there was no cure. Had there been any at this time, Lucas would have long discovered it. But perseverance always wins. Love always prevails.

Weeks passed and the doctor watched as she slipped closer to death. Now she can no longer walk. Her legs would no longer support her. He understood her need to see the light though. Every morning he would draw open the curtains to let in the sun.

"Alexander," he heard her soft voice from the bed. He moved close to hear her. "I want to see the sun."

He swallowed the lump in his throat. "Your eyes…"

"My eyes…" She laughed softly. "My eyesight is blurred. Maybe my tears will screen the hurtful light, don't you think?" she whispered. "And we are both aware that there is no old age to preserve them for."

He didn't answer her. All he did was take her in his arms. She laid her head against his chest. He walked to the veranda with her. The two figures were bathed in early morning light. The sun warmed their bodies, but Alexander knew it would not melt the ice building around his heart. No amount of heat could penetrate there.

"It feels wonderful," she said. "Life is beautiful."

"It is," he lied. Life… What was so good about it? It's full of pain and loss.

"I'll miss the sun."

He took a deep breath and kissed her forehead. "The sun will miss you. Life will miss you."

"I wrote something for you," she told him as he carried her back to her bed. "Lois wrote it down," she corrected. "I can barely hold a pen anymore."

What sort of life would let a creature so beautiful waste away in an agonizing disease like this? He wanted to scream to heaven.

He had been strong. But now, how can he stay strong any longer?

"I don't want you to die!" he bit out.

"But you don't want me to live and suffer either. Do you want me to go through this pain everyday?"

"I want to hold you close to me. I want you with me. I want us to marry and have children."

"But we can't. Heaven can't wait for me."

Alexander closed his eyes and decided to cheat life for stealing from him.

--

He married her. In a hurried ceremony broken when a fit of agony pulsed through her bones, Alexander gave my cousin what none of us thought she would ever get in her lifetime. A husband and his name. We knew the desperation that led him to do it. But we also understood the extent of happiness she gained from his unselfish deed.

They would have had the wedding in her room. After all, my cousin can no longer move. She was at that point when, had I not known her from infancy, I would never have believed that she used to walk and laugh and run like other people do.

The doctor must have sensed that she needed something more. We were standing in her bedroom when she asked us all, including the priest, to leave. He asked Lana and me to remain. We did not comprehend what he wanted. It was only when he drew out one of Chloe's old party dresses that we understood.

He had left the room and we put Chloe in the pretty white dress. She thanked us and, in an unprecedented show of strength, she gripped both Lana’s hands and mine. That must have been her goodbye.

He carried her out and we followed them. He took her inside the carriage and our party left for the clearing that we knew Chloe used to always go to.

--

"I will marry you where I first saw you," he told her, holding her inside the carriage. He kissed her tears away. "You were ethereal, my own little creature from heaven. From that moment, you made me believe in magic and in love. I knew that I had to have you."

In the clearing, by the swings, with his bride in his arms, Alexander stood proudly, promising his love and devotion to a girl who would be a fleeting but essential influence in his life. Chloe insisted that she wished to stand. Everyone knew that she could not. But Alexander did not argue. They were so connected that he knew her every breath, her every desire and her every reason.

He helped her to her feet and wrapped his arm around her, supporting her. He let her lean against him.

"You may kiss your bride, doctor."

Alexander held his arms on her back as he bent to press his lips on hers. She moaned, as the uncontrollable pain once more pulsed through her body. "Alexander!" she sobbed out. He took her in his arms and drove her to the house.

--

That time, the pain lasted for two days without stopping. Alexander's medication of the laudanum did not help her any. The pain was real and intense and the opium dulling her senses failed to take away what was ripping her apart.

I watched the doctor pace outside her room with a sense of wonder and hopelessness. She was not going to survive. None of his concoctions would magically strip away the disease she was destined to die from. Yet with my grief is the undeniable certainty that I have never yet seen a man quite like him. One look at his eyes and you would know that he loved my cousin. He did not hide his emotions, the way other men did for fear of losing their masculinity. The doctor would wipe away the moisture from his eyes every so often and I know that it is because he would step into her room again, in the hope that she was awake. I pitied him for what she had prepared for him. What she had me write down for him to have when she was sure the end was near was sure to break his heart. Yet even now I marvel at my cousin's courage and unselfishness for even being able to create the piece.

--

"On the top drawer. Take the folded piece of paper."

Alexander opened the dresser drawer and took the paper. He opened it to see it in Lois's hand, and remembered what she told him. He carefully read every line. While the sun could not melt the ice in his heart, her every word cracked the protective wall.

"I cannot do it, Chloe."

"You've done all you can. You've given me more than I need, and made me the happiest I've ever been in my entire life. This is the only thing I can do for you," she explained.

"I love you."

"I love you," she replied. "So understand me. Please."

"Let me hold you tonight," he requested, putting the piece of paper in his pocket. "We have to have a wedding night, after all." She welcomed him as he joined her on the bed. Alexander embraced her and closed his eyes at the feel of having his wife in his arms for the first and last time. He read to her from her favorite book. When she asked him to sing her to sleep, he did. He loved her so. His low voice lulled her to a certain comfort, that sense of peace and security she has not had for a long time.

--

The doctor left that night. He said his farewells to all of us. I understood. After all, I wrote her request to him. He went to the home that his brother created with the night-haired waitress and waited for the news I promised him. He had asked to be informed. He deserved to be, and I agreed. He left a bottle of one of his newly invented medicines in vain hope of something I knew was unreachable.

The day came and I wired. And so he had arrived with one red rose. He kissed the petals and placed it down.

The grass was green on her grave when he first discovered the undeniable truth, when he first visited. I can still remember the lone figure standing under the rain. How long he stayed there looking down at the marble marker I do not know. All I know is that I have never seen anyone look so lost and alone as the good doctor did when returned. He must have had some idea. He must have realized that this was a possibility. Perhaps he'd raised his hopes too much that he was able to convince himself of a lie.

As I watch him fall onto his knees before her grave, his shoulders slumped and racked with silent sobs, his trousers deep into the muddy grass, I realize that I cannot blame him. I remember every moment of that romance, and I have not the words to describe what the doctor and my cousin shared. I would forever be grateful to Dr. Luthor for making her last days a piece of heaven.

The poem she wrote him is as fresh in my mind as the day she dictated every line to me. Every word I knew came from her heart. Maybe someday I will set it to music, to honor her. But it is as private as every expression of love that she and the doctor shared. For now, I can only say the words…

As liquid fire claims my youth,
do not touch me.
Let me feel my pain alone.
When I am limp and pale,
Do not go near me.
I would suffer my end in peace.
When sobs are torn from my tired throat,
I do not want to hear your cries.
I do not want to see your grief
when tears roll down my sagging cheeks.
And when I am dead
do not look down upon my lifeless body.
I do not want your eternal faithfulness.
Place on my grave a single rose-
and if you please . . . just leave.

I see him turn around and walk away from the marker. I want to tell him that I understand his pain, that I had gone through it, but I cannot. I know that his pain far exceeded mine. His soul was intertwined with hers. I know that even visiting her grave in the place where he met her, where they wed, would be agonizing. He raised his face to the sky to let the rain mix with his tears.

--

Crystal clear droplets falling on my face
No one around to see my pain
Alone reminiscing in this special place
I stand beneath the rain.

Blackberry
19th October 2004, 10:04
Agh!! *teary eyed!!*

LaLa
19th October 2004, 14:50
:crygreen: heaven can't wait but damn, it sure could have! no fair! alexander and chloe are fated and now i'm crying like a ninny! :goof:

u know, u' re so good i almost wanna :tease: there! big meanie!

xoxo LaLa - who loves u btw :worship2: :wub:

kitten
19th October 2004, 15:15
That was exceedingly depressing . . .
However, with the subject matter my feeling terrible means it's actually a great fic. I've never been pulled into a short AU so quickly. Excellent writing! I have to go read happy smut to get over it.

Val
20th October 2004, 05:31
Yeah I'm crying, god that was so sad! I've been feeling like crying since they met, well right after it. That was evil Catheryne, still great though. I'm glad you decided to turn this into Chlex.

autumngold
20th October 2004, 07:29
So very, very, very sad!! :crygreen: Thank you for showing Lex and Chloe's incredible love!! Great story!! :crygreen: :chlexsign3: :crygreen:

starmoon
2nd May 2005, 21:53
that was so sad i wish chloe would have lived lex realy needs her.

hfce
3rd May 2005, 02:46
:puppydog: :puppydog: that was so sad but beautiful.

AlwaysPretending
6th May 2005, 00:18
What an absolutely beautiful fic - I'm so touched by it, it was just incredible. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kerry

meeaz
25th June 2005, 21:57
egh. that was so sad, but so beautifully done. amazing. :(

Louie
27th June 2005, 06:59
So so sad, that was just wonderful

Krysia
27th June 2005, 08:11
He didn't answer her. All he did was take her in his arms. She laid her head against his chest. He walked to the veranda with her. The two figures were bathed in early morning light. The sun warmed their bodies, but Alexander knew it would not melt the ice building around his heart. No amount of heat could penetrate there.

"It feels wonderful," she said. "Life is beautiful."

"It is," he lied. Life… What was so good about it? It's full of pain and loss.

"I'll miss the sun."

He took a deep breath and kissed her forehead. "The sun will miss you. Life will miss you."

The whole story was just WOW, but this part spoke to me the most. I think because reading it I felt such a bittersweet pain. I was happy that she could have someone to love and who loved her in return but at the same time I fekt so bad for him. Because once she dies he might as well go with her. A part of him will be closed off forever. And i think it's such an ironic thing that he is a doctor, and that he was known for not letting anyone die on his table and that he was looking for a chalange. It akes me tink of all the stories you hear about people being full of themselves, for whatever reason, and than life humbling them.

Ami Rose
10th February 2014, 21:00
That is the saddest story Ive ever read! Amazingly written!