PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Sometimes, The Best Is Unexpected (PG)

Eowyn
8th October 2004, 16:34
Title: Sometimes, The Best Is Unexpected
Author: Eowyn
Disclaimer: I am not the creator of Smallville nor am I the creator of its characters, I am just playing with them.
Rating: Either G or PG, I cannot decide of which is more appropriate.
Summary: Slightly future fic, let's call if the future of what I want to happen in Season Four; Lex taking Chloe to the prom.

" I need a double shot Mrs. Kent," Chloe thumped her backpack upon the counter of The Talon and rested her forehead on her ink stained palm.

" I guess you do," Mrs. Kent noted, knowingly exactly what Chloe meant, as she went off to fulfill the order.

" A leak of information," Chloe begain to explain, " about a possibly breaking story fell into my hands this morning and I rushed out to get the story without doing anything else. I jumped into some clothing and was off, I even forewent coffee. " She saw the incredulous look upon Mrs. Kent's face, " Yes I know, I can't believe I did that either. I really never thought I would have to choose between coffee and a story. I mean, what kind of twisted reality is that? It only tore me apart to do so and now..." Chloe groaned, " My head feels like it is going to explode."

Chloe took the double shot Mrs. Kent handed her gratefully, " T.S. Eliot once said, 'I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.' " Chloe grinned, " He must have lived a life similar to my own."

Mrs. Kent smiled and then asked," So do you have a date for the prom yet?"

Chloe took another gulp of coffee, feeling this question slightly impertinent, " No..." She faked a smile. " Considering I hole myself up on The Torch's office that is to be expected. Well I should go, my computer is calling my name. Thanks for the coffee." Chloe walked out of The Talon and sighed. She really did not need to rush to her article. But she was finding the talk of the prom oppressive and longed for the haven of her writing, it helped get her mind off her own troubles. Jumping into her car, she rushed home.

The Smallville Prom was little under a week away and not one person had asked Chloe to attend. Even for a snarky reporter this can be damaging to one's confidence. But Chloe felt she really should just accept the fact that, for some mysterious reason, her life's relationships more or less sucked. Whoever was writing her life's story apparently had something against her.

Chloe drove up to her home, her father was out as his car was not parked in front of their new home. But there was one car parked there, a silver Porche of which could only belong to one person of her acquaintance.

Chloe walked into her little office to find Lex Luthor reading an article of her's with interest. " Can I help you Lex?" Chloe asked with some impatience. She was not in the mood to entertain visitors, even rich ones with whom she helped kick Lionel Luthor's butt.

" This is a valid theory Chloe," He said referring to the article he had in hand.

Chloe placed her pack and double shot of coffee down upon the desk, " Well I hope that anything I write is valid, " She commented with raised eyebrows.

Lex's eyes, that were focused upon the paper, now focused upon her. He smiled with amusement, " Are we on the defensive today Chloe?"

Chloe ignored the comment, " How'd you get in?"

" Your father let me in before he left to do his all important grocery shopping that he apparently does every Saturday morning. He fed me some chocolate cupcakes and told me to save you some, as if he was worried that I would eat them all. I get the impression that he thinks I am greedy. Although I will say Gabe is fairly competent in making chocolate cupcakes, so perhaps his fears were valid."

Chloe's mouth watered a bit, " So did you save me some?"

" Naturally," Lex replied, handing her the plate full of cupcakes that Chloe now noticed he had in front of him on the desk.

Chloe took them, " So Lex is there something you need me to investigate?" Chloe was starting to feel more congenial towards Lex than she had when she first walked into her little office, there was something comforting about his presence that she could not explain.

Lex shook his head no, " I just thought I would check up on how the Editor-In-Chief of The Torch was doing. I have to confess, I had gotten so used to our meetings while you were in hiding that I find it hard to break that habit even now that my father is in jail." Lex added studying Chloe's face, " Although I suspect I was not 'as welcome as the flowers in May' when you first entered. But I am not wrong in supposing that your initial feelings against me have vanished to a degree?"

" Don't flatter yourself too much my rich, playboy friend," Chloe smiled evasively. " Still you saved me some cupcakes so that gives you a few points."

Lex nodded to the article on the computer screen in front of him that contained the details of the up and coming dance, " So have you a date for the much anticipated evening?"

Chloe looked at Lex with disbelief, " What is with people and that question?" Her earrings were aggressively dangling as she shook her head in frustration.

" Well it is usually a traditional question to ask a person attending the said event," Lex explained condescendingly, not in the least fazed by her disgust.

Chloe replied, " It gets old." She then for a split second thought about not answering the question, but she knew Lex would only see through her ambiguity. So as she sat down and busied herself with her work upon the computer, she said, " If you must know, I don't have a date."

Lex did not reply to that right away, but after a moment Chloe heard Lex's voice say quietly, " Smallville High must be filled with idiots."

Chloe knew this might be subtle, or not so subtle, flirting on Lex's part and she felt above that, so she replied with an unconcerned, " Well I always thought so."

Lex smiled inwardly, this was something he appreciated about Chloe Sullivan, the way she would flippantly answer him if she felt the occasion called for it. He was never impressed by apparently affected, simpering behavior as the result of his flirtatious comments, it bored him that most girls reacted that way. He continued, " My own prom turned out to be a disappointment, I saw it nothing more than one huge charade. But, I believe in second chances, if you will go with me Chloe Sullivan, I shall give it another shot."

Chloe stopped typing and turned to let Lex see her cynical and frustrated attitude," Shut up Lex!" Then she turned back to her work ignoring him.

" I'm serious Chloe."

" Oh please, don't tell me that Lex Luthor, of whose face often graces the front of all popular magazines, has nothing better to do than to attend a high school prom."

" Well actually, I have many better things to do, but that is not the point. I do what I want to do - as you should know by now - and what I want to do is attend the Smallville prom with Chloe Sullivan."

Chloe turned once again and studied Lex's face, looking for something, trying to read it. But he could remain infuriatingly impassive. " Are you truly serious? " Chloe asked tentatively.

" I am," Lex replied. Then still seeing indecision and disbelief written all over her face continued, " In the very least this gives you a good story, 'Editor of Torch Attends Prom with (as you term me) Rich Playboy'. You can study me all you want and get an insider's story."

Chloe grinned despite herself, " When you term it like that it is hard to resist, Lex Luthor."

" I thought so," Lex admitted confidently.

Chloe let out a sigh and then shrugged her shoulders, " Okay, I'll go with you. But if it ends up that there are conditions to all of this, such as the Luthors are infamous for, you'll be sorry."

" I realize that," he smiled and said no more, for it was all he needed to say. " I have a meeting, so I leave you to your work. I shall see you next Saturday evening Miss Sullivan," he said as he walked out the door.

Chloe stared at her computer, trying to concentrate, but unable to do so. Finally she said aloud to herself, " I am going to the prom with Lex Luthor..." Her brows were knitted. " That almost belongs up on the Wall of Weird."

More to come soon I hope!

AlabamaWorley
8th October 2004, 16:54
:lol: Cute! I like it.

hfce
8th October 2004, 17:23
:lol: :clap: I love it please more.

Hope :D

staysixkid
8th October 2004, 18:17
hey...I *really* like this fic! please, please, please (can't believe im begging, lol), update soon! :biggrin:

fee

tiger04
8th October 2004, 19:24
more please. Lex at a high school prom. :biggrin:
AT

hateSmallvilleLoveChlex
8th October 2004, 23:45
:chlexsign1: this is so cute! Update soon.

autumngold
9th October 2004, 00:19
I'm so proud of Lex!! Now Chloe is going to have to get a spectacular dress!! Please update soon!! I can't wait for more!!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

buddyfozzy
9th October 2004, 00:47
Awww, cute :wub:

LarkLuthor
9th October 2004, 04:53
Love the Chlex interaction but have to agree, Lex at a prom is Wall of Weird. :huh:

Lark

Béatrice
9th October 2004, 15:27
:yay: They're going together et the prom. Cool!!! Please can you come back soon? :worship2:

Eowyn
13th October 2004, 17:01
As promised, here is the next instalement...I cannot tell you how much fun it was to write Gabe into this :biggrin:

" Now I need her back by at least one in the morning. Drive carefully. Keep her away from alcoholic drinks as, " Gabe laughed as he ticked off all of these requirements off his fingers, " of course she's underage. But if they spike the punch bring me back some..." He lost track of where we he was in his list of rules. He tapped his forefinger as if doing so would help him remember, " Did I mention to keep her safe and to drive carefully? Don't let anyone touch her and don't you -"

" Dad!" Chloe interrupted with pleading. They had been standing on the front porch for at least fifteen minutes, and although Lex was listening with apparent interest, Chloe's patience was waning and she wished to stop her father before he further incriminated himself.

Gabe looked at his daughter's expression and said, " Oh right, you two should go. I -"

" I'll take good care of her, you have my word," Lex assured him.

Gabe nodded, " I have no room to disbelieve you, you've protected her in the past...and have protected myself, " he added as an afterthought. Gabe watched as his daughter took Lex's offered arm. Gabe clasped his hands together nervously and then unclasped them again as the two of them got into Lex's newly waxed car, " Drive carefully!" He called.

Lex smiled and nodded his assurance. But Gabe held his eyes upon them until they turned the quarter.

When they were out of sight of the house Lex said, " This is the first time in my life that I have ever dealt with a protective father and have been given a set of rules. I liked it."

Chloe looked at him with interest and Lex explained, " It made me feel entirely normal."

" Really?" Chloe's interest was peaked, her mind was racing. " I should write that down, that statement alone makes for a good article." She reached for her pen and notebook in what was obviously not a traditional evening bag, it was far too big.

" Do you ever stop working Chloe?" Lex asked glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

" I do," Chloe replied busily scratching away. " But not tonight. This is the night of a front page story, as you pointed out yourself when you were trying to convince me you were serious about attending this prom." Chloe then pointed to the dashboard with her pen, " I noticed you are following the speed limit. Is this a first for you Lex Luthor?"

He replied, " I plan to follow all of the rules your father laid out before me."

" How responsible of you, " Chloe commented facetiously. " Including the spiked punch?"

" Of course," Lex replied with a smirk.

The Road I'm On by 3 Doors Down started playing on the radio. Chloe put her notebook away and crossed her arms together, " My father can be so..." Chloe searched for the right word, but nothing was coming to mind at the moment. She sighed and settled upon, " odd."

" I do not know if it would be Gabe without those oddities, it makes up who he is."

" The thing is he did not always used to be this way." Chloe thought back upon a different time in her life and smiled as she remembered her father's antics, " I mean he was always protective,... but those qualities that you say define him now did not used to be there. This is going to sound unbelievable, but he actually used to be normal. There was nothing about him that could be called eccentric."

" What happened?" Lex inquired.

" My mother," Chloe replied simply with her lips grimly pursed. " Once she left us he was never the same."

To Lex this was entirely unknown before now. Chloe had never divulged any information about her past to him before, save for some comments about the journalist adventures that she had even as a kid. But now that she did reveal this fact to him, he did not push for more information. She was silent and not elaborating upon the facts she had just acknowledged. He understood, he understood very well.

Chloe, uncomfortable with the subject and silence, spoke again while fingering her corsage, " I do not know if I got to thank you properly for this corsage what with my dad incessantly rambling."

" You look beautiful tonight," Lex turned his head to admire Chloe in her light green dress that highlighted and set off her glowing complexion. Upon her wrist was the mentioned corsage, of which was purple in color. Lex was a connoisseur of woman's beauty and he had always been acutely aware of how attractive Miss Sullivan was. If asked what his type was, he would have most likely replied with something along the lines of 'tall brunettes'. Yet for not supposedly being his type he was drawn to Chloe's features and more aware of them than any other woman of his acquaintance.

Chloe smiled at this statement with some sense of cockiness, but did not reply to his comment, instead she said, " No one knows that you are attending the prom tonight. It's ironic that when I do not have a partner, I get asked that ominous question of 'who am I going with', but when I do have a partner, that question never arises. So when Lex Luthor walks into the gym tonight, I imagine the reactions should be interesting. " Chloe grinned, " I am actually looking forward to it."

Lex nodded as he pulled into the Smallville High parking lot, " It adds to that already spicy flavor of your story."

Chloe still had a grin upon her face, " Exactly."

Couples walking into the school were already noticing Lex's car as it parked. A few pointed in their direction. " I thought about just using the limo tonight but actually imagined this mode of transportation would be more inconspicuous - besides I like to drive. But now that I am here I realize my allusions were wrong. A limo would have fit right in."

Lex got out and would have helped Chloe out of the car, but she had already independently got out herself, " I do not think you could ever be inconspicuous Lex."

" I think you're right." He offered his arm and felt Chloe take it, " I have noticed in my life when people try to be inconspicuous, they cannot, and yet when they try not to be, they are. Yet another irony of life Miss Sullivan. My problem is that I need to apply my observances to my own life more often than I do and abandon my allusions."

" The older we get, I think the more we do," Chloe replied. " We only I think have to take care that our observances upon life are not affected for the negative, that how we perceive life is not done in a way that will hurt us and others in the future..." Chloe shook her head and noted, " Of which is not easy."

Chloe and Lex walked into the gym-turned-ballroom. Music was playing and the room was dimmed as the disco ball made its circle of lights. Many stared as they walked in and whispers could be heard. Chloe turned to look at Lex's profile. He almost did not fit the surroundings. Everything looked juvenile in comparison to his stature. Chloe felt her original feelings return and said aloud to him, " It is so weird to have you here Lex Luthor."

~~~~~~~~~

Chloe had to admit to herself that overall, proms were generally a disappointment. As she watched couples together she noticed that it did seem, as Lex put it, like 'one large charade'. Still she took her pictures and made mental notes for her article.

Lana Lang approached her as she photographed the event, " I did not know you were coming with Lex," Lana's quiet voice said and astonishment was written all over her face.

Chloe smiled, " It is surprising I know. I do not know how it happened even, it all seems as a blur. When he heard I did not have a date, he offered himself as one I think out of pity - for that I do not know whether to thank him or kick him."

Lana simply nodded and then said, " You seem to make an interesting couple."

" I think that is a understatement Lana," Chloe replied trying to come off as humorous, but Lana did not seem to notice her attempt at lightness, so Chloe continued, " I see you are here with Jason..."

Lana smiled, "Yes, I was glad when the principal okayed it for us to come together."

" You know what, speaking of the principal, he seems to dislike Lex. I wonder that is with that?" Chloe's mind for scoping out intrigue was coming into play.

Lana did not seem to share that intrigue although and was soon off dancing with Jason. Chloe watched them. Chloe liked Jason, he was cute and that was always a plus in any guy's favor. He was also terribly nice, almost too nice. But he seemed to have his scary ability to always say the right thing to a girl. It was unreal. Chloe had a theory that perhaps he was exposed to green meteor rock, that was mixed with something else and made him become this walking, talking Hallmark Card. It was either that or he had a Cyrano De Bergerac behind his back somewhere. There was something dull about that ability in a guy. A girlfriend of Jason's, she was sure, could never spar with him. She imagined Lana did not, and what was the fun in that? Chloe liked to spar and debate. She turned her head and saw Lex bringing her a glass of punch, with that previous thought in mind, she smiled at him.

autumngold
13th October 2004, 17:56
I love Chloe's observations about Jason and Lana!! I couldn't agree with her more!! Jason is perfect for Lana, just like Lex is perfect for Chloe!! Thanks for the update!! More soon please!! :biggrin: :chlexsign1: :biggrin:

hfce
13th October 2004, 20:44
This is getting so good. More please..

Hope :chlexsign2:

AlabamaWorley
13th October 2004, 22:32
"facade" is hte perfect description of prom. I always marvelled at how much money was spent to have a dance in the gym without it looking like the gym.

Good update!

MissMed03
14th October 2004, 00:51
This is just adorable...more soon

Eowyn
18th October 2004, 18:37
The last instalment of their growing relationship during the night...

" You are bored Chloe, " Lex commented as he observed her face, of which was inevitably full of so much expression.

" It scares me sometimes how you can read me like a book," Chloe eyed Lex with suspicion.

" You should not be so obvious if you do not want me to read you so well," Lex lifted the glass of punch to his lips.

" I'm obvious?" Chloe questioned with some surprise.

" I think the only person who cannot read you is a certain Clark Kent."

Chloe crossed her arms, adroitly balancing her own glass of punch as she did this, " Well I do not know if I can argue with you there."

Clark Kent had greeted both Chloe and Lex once that night, in which he expressed his obvious surprise in Lex's escorting Chloe (but then who was not surprised that night?). But after that initial greeting he had not approached either of them the rest of the evening. Lex knew of Clark's distrust of himself and their friendship had been split. This he regretted, but every attempt Lex made to cross that chasm between them, Clark would reject. Lex was losing his interest now in fixing that bridge. When someone comes to reject you time and time again, there comes a point when you just have to leave it and move on, he was coming to accept that - although with that accepting was a greater bitterness against life.

As for Clark's avoidance of Chloe, Lex had his suspicions on why that was...He also suspected he was not the only one with a growing bitterness.

Now Clark was sitting all by himself with only Sally Martin, his partner, for company. But he was not paying in the least attention to the shy Sally Martin, but rather watching Lana with his usual attentiveness that he exhibited when around Lana Lang. Chloe watched Sally Martin with curiosity, she was sitting rather sadly and looked perhaps more bored then even she, Chloe, felt. No wonder...Chloe thought and felt an outburst of pity towards her. I once used to be as you...

" I wanted to make my own contributions to this prom and make it a bit more, shall we say, unconventional." Lex commented as he watched these dull proceedings." I thought it would bring the prom to a entirely new level, a level it should be brought to. But the principal did not believe in my vision and told me some traditions, such as this, should be upheld. I had to respect that."

Chloe asked with pointed acuteness, " Why does he dislike you?"

Lex gave Chloe a glance that caused her breathing to falter, " I was reckless in my youth Chloe," he said with peculiar softness. " You should know that. The principal has never forgotten that and does not believe that I could have a change of heart, I have to prove him wrong. Dance with me," he said suddenly with his hand held out towards her.

" Well that's what we are here for isn't it?" Chloe said, taking his hand, her eyes alight with a fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The King and Queen of the night was announced; Lana Lang and Clark Kent. Apparently both Lana and Clark found this arrangement to be uncomfortable. As Chloe snapped their picture together, Chloe shook her head and said with something of a smirk to Lex, " The irony continues Lex. Do you ever feel life is just one huge paradox?"

Lex nodded as he watched the awkward couple with a twinkling amusement in his eyes, " If life is just one huge paradox then the best thing we can do is to laugh at it."

" That is a bit of an Elizabeth Bennet view," Chloe remarked.

" I always thought she was a wise woman," Lex finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the prom officially ended, Lex and Chloe returned to his car, " I have to agree with you Lex that proms are not what they are made out to be. I think the only ones who truly enjoy it are perky cheerleaders. Here we are lead to believe that these are the best days and events of our lives, that everything is supposed to be as an episode of 'Happy Days', and the truth turns out not as we believed."

Lex nodded, " I had a feeling these would be your thoughts Chloe. So I collected something for you to make up for it." Out of the trunk of his car, Lex took out a wrapped gift and handed it to Chloe.

Chloe looked down at the gift in surprise, " What?! What is this Lex?" She asked with raised eyebrows.

" It is a generally accepted fact Chloe that you have to open it to find out."

" Cute Lex," Chloe retorted. She tore open the package, as she climbed into the passenger seat next to Lex, to discover it contained chocolate cupcakes.

" They are unfortunately not Gabe's, " Lex explained starting the car. " I do not think any chocolate cupcake in the world can compete with his own. So I had to settle for second-best, they are made from imported chocolate from Germany."

There was a piece of paper on top the cupcakes. Chloe opened it. It was titled Exclusive Facts That Have Never Been Published, Reserved for Ms. Chloe Sullivan;

- Lex Luthor prefers briefs

( "Shut up! No one has asked you that question before?"

" It is shocking, but it works to your advantage." )

- Lex Luthor has encountered at least 50 near death experiences

( " Wow, and I thought I had a lot of near death experiences. Do you think there is a Guinness Record on that?")

- When he was eight years old, Lex Luthor once had a German Shepard named Aslan based off the character in C.S.Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

( "Lex you were a nerd")

- Lex Luthor's dream profession would be Mythology Professor.

(" Lex you are a nerd")

Chloe folded the paper and placed it into her bag. She picked up a chocolate cupcake and sunk her teeth into it. She felt the wind toss her tired hair into her face. She felt indescribable; if that was possible, for nothing should be indescribable. But she had a jumble of feelings that could not be sorted... at least not now. But she did know that overall the evening was an entirely enexpected, but memorable, night. Licking her lips she said softly, " Thank you Lex."

~~~~~~~~~~~

For the readers who would like to know the facts of what happened after the prom, Gabe did receive his spiked punch and with much pleasure; Chloe's article on the prom, and more importantly her exclusive on Lex Luthor, was Chloe Sullivan's most popular article in the history of The Torch (she actually recieved fanmail over this one). But as for the much wondered question of whether Lex in fact kissed Chloe goodnight or not, I do leave to the reader's excellent imagination...

~ Finis ~

asharnanae
18th October 2004, 19:38
:biggrin: :wub: awweee, loved it! so amuseing and sweet. Great ending by the way, and I just adored the lex facts! :blinkkiss:

tiger04
18th October 2004, 19:42
That was great story. I loved the ending very clever.
:biggrin:

AT

hfce
18th October 2004, 23:09
That was a cute ending. :D

Hope :)

Sab_Luthor
15th January 2005, 10:21
that was a cute fic :partyhat:

darkangel
11th July 2005, 07:33
im smiling a the ending of this fic.

starmoon
6th December 2005, 23:24
that was great and i really like the ending.