PDA

View Full Version : Sidekick (PG13)

santija
24th September 2004, 07:12
Title: Sidekick

Author: Carrie/Santija (whichever you prefer)

Rating: (Don’t kill me) PG-13

Category: Angst, friendship, whatever you wan to read into it.

A/N: Well, it’s nine o’clock at night and no good movie on so this little ficlet was created. I apologize for it, don’t read it, it sucks, just pretend you never say it, it’s okay. Don’t really know what it’s about. Anyway, if you read it please drop a line, I would love to hear what you think.

Chloe sighed, looking at the scene play out in front of her. The coffee had long ago turned cold and was now placed idly by her notebook. Words were scrambled down one of the pages, incoherently sentences noted down. Thoughts that had flown by in her head so fast she hadn’t even noticed that she had written them down.

Her eyes moved along with the objects she was studying. Sometimes they moved gracefully, sometimes clumsily, but in the right way. One simple touch carried on for what seemed an eternity. It was subtle, yet never missed. Caught by everyone around and never forgotten.

Her fingers gripped the pencil tightly and formed letters on the lines. She licked her dry lips and wrote down the sentence in her head that wouldn’t leave her until it was written down. One sentence turned into two, then three, before she knew it the paper was full. She looked through what she had written, feeling a twinge in her heart.

She closed the notebook and leaned back in her chair. Her face told the story that she was trying to keep secret. Endless nights of no sleep eventually leaved it signs. Makeup helped hide the dark rings below her eyes, but for the red shattered eyes there was no way of concealing.

She ran her nails over her neck, the itch grow for every scratch. Some times it itched so bad that her skin broke. It felt so good sinking her nails into her skin, getting closer to aching inside. Her eyes closed taking in the moment of silence and content.

When they opened again they were met with two blue orbs staring intently on her. She didn’t say anything, neither did he.

His eyes might be looking in her direction, but she wasn’t really sure if he was looking at her or through her. His blue stone eyes, was just that, made out of stone. No emotions sipping through, no sunshine directed in them.

His posture was smooth and elegant, yet you know when you met him, make no mistake, this was a man to fear. With a mind as sharp as his, he would make a perfect nemesis. He fit into that world, he was part of perfection. Their perfection.

He was not smiling or smirking, he was just sitting there. Watching her or through her, she wasn’t sure.

Chloe waited for him to say something, anything, but he remained silent. She wasn’t about to start the conversation, frankly all she wanted was to leave.

She reached for her mug and took a sip of the god awful cold coffee. She closed her eyes briefly in disgust.

Lex scoffed and leaned forward. “Is it that awful?”

“It’s awful when it’s warm, when it’s cold awful doesn’t begin to describe it.”

“I thought you liked coffee.”

“How observant of you, yes I do like coffee. However no matter what Lana might say, this is not coffee.”

“Ah, but that leaves me wondering.”

“Wondering what?”

“If you don’t like her coffee, why do you keep coming here for more?”

“I’m a sidekick.” Chloe muttered quietly.

“Excuse me?” Lex arched an eyebrow, not sure he had heard her.

“Nothing, I have to go.”

Lex leaned back into his chair. She smiled at him, keeping his look for a second. Could she possibly have seen disappointment in his eyes? If she had it was gone as soon as it was there.

She stood up and tilted her head. “You’re perfect.” When she saw a somewhat amused look on his face she realized she had actually said it aloud. She grabbed her bag and walked away as fast as she could, without it looking strange.

She made it as far as to her car before she heard her name being called out. She turned around and found Lex half running towards her. She stopped and waited, when she saw what he was holding in his right hand. Her notebook.

“You forgot this.” He said holding it out to her as he neared her.

Chloe smiled and took the notebook. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Well, I gotta go.” Chloe turned and went over to the driver’s door.

“Chloe?”

Chloe looked up at him and found the strangest look on his face. “Yeah?”

“No one’s perfect, well some are, but they’re just plain boring, aren’t they?”

Chloe laughed, he had read her notebook.

Lex smiled. “I’ll see ya, Chloe”

“See ya, Lex.”

Chloe watched as Lex re-entered the Talon. She smiled and opened her notebook to the page she knew Lex must have read. She read it one more time.

… because it doesn’t matter, in every context, they are simply perfect. In this world, no matter what, Clark Kent and Lana Lang is and will always be perfect. And everyone around them is an unimportant sidekick, used to fill out empty space and sooner or later get replaced by someone else unimportant. Only the perfect ones last. I wonder when it’s my time to go.

She noticed something written on the bottom of the page, it was written in small letters, definitely not her handwriting though.

If you don’t mind I’d like to keep you around a lot longer.

Chloe smiled gently. “No, I don’t mind Lex, not at all.” She said to herself and hugged the notebook close. “I don’t mind at all.”

The end.

autumngold
24th September 2004, 07:44
Thank you for writing this story!! :yay: I like your views of Clark and Lana's perfectness!! (Is that even a word? :biggrin: ) I love how Lex cared enough to write in Chloe's notebook!! :worship2: Great story!! :worship2: :chlexsign4:

ColumbiaBlue
24th September 2004, 07:46
How can you say that sucks?! I loved it!! It was so good and cute!!! Great job!

~Manda :blinkkiss:

lexchloe
24th September 2004, 15:58
:tease: that didn't suck!!! In fact :hug: for writing it. Loved that Lex cared enough to write that message in her notebook. :wub:

scifichick774
24th September 2004, 16:16
Aww...how sweet. :wub:

AlabamaWorley
24th September 2004, 17:07
Wow, I got a little teary-eyed over the last two lines. :blush: That was a great ficlet!

carebear72884
24th September 2004, 18:37
That didn't suck at all, It was wonderful...just the right little ficlit to make me smile. :biggrin:

chril1
24th September 2004, 19:43
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blush:

love lea
xxx

S.Ann Smith
25th September 2004, 01:37
I love it!!!! :biggrin:

Lex
26th September 2004, 22:14
Awww... Fantastically sweet *sigh* Gotta love chlex... ;)

Blaire023
25th October 2004, 20:48
awwwww i loved this

kitten
25th October 2004, 22:14
:wub:

That was a really good short piece of writing. I could see something like that affecting both Chloe and Lex in different ways, with him lending his support to her.

hfce
25th October 2004, 22:22
Awwwww :wub:

Hope :chlexsign4:

bluengreenswmer
10th January 2005, 03:50
all i can say is....

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so sweet!!!!!!

love it. it was the epitamy (sp wrong im sure) of sweetness. :wub:

starmoon
31st March 2005, 09:07
love the story it was so sweet and cute.

suspension of disbelief
31st March 2005, 09:14
very sweet....

bluefang
15th January 2006, 08:26
yay i like i like. Didnt see that coming but i like chloe's idea-once combined with lex's. stupid boring perfect ppl.
so sweet, nicely written.

welshy
18th January 2006, 18:17
That was a really sweet story

persephone47
25th January 2006, 03:04
aww, sad, but cute ending

Nonhalema
17th June 2007, 11:31
Well...who would mind having Lex around them a bit longer??

Ami Rose
18th March 2018, 12:30
Nice