PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Smile Lines (PG-13)

ColumbiaBlue
7th July 2004, 06:43
Title: Smile Lines
Author: ColumbiaBlue
Rating: PG-13 (naughty words)
Spoilers: Anything that’s aired.
Disclaimer: Don’t own a damn thing.
Summary: Lex is so crushed out he feels like he’s back in high school.

AN: This idea popped into my head while I was watching the fireworks on my boat. It’s a song fic, the song is called “Smile Lines” and it’s by Incubus. I have no idea where or why I got this idea when I did seeing as my Uncle was blaring Boston’s version of “The Star Spangled Banner” on the C.D. player. This has fluff in it but not overly so and it definitely has humor and *lots* of snark and verbal judo. And Lana’s still in Smallville because she’s just too much fun to insult and make look stupid. Although there is one part where she might surprise you. LOL Lex is kinda OCC in this but... it’s cute. And just really damn funny, if I do say so myself. :)

Expect maybe three parts to this. I was going to make it into all one short story but there’s soo much stuff that’s going to happen in here not to break it up. And besides, I thought I’d be evil and make yawl wait a little bit instead of giving it to you in all one go. Don’t worry. This one’ll be fast and (relatively) painless. It’s just something that’s been bouncing around in my head for a while and it’s been prohibiting me from working on anything else. So. Here you go. I hope you like it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Met my match today...
felt the blood rushing and mingling,
a curious and enigmatic thing.
Now spiders in my dreams...
synchronicity weaves like a web when
you were meant to be a meal!
I want you bad!
I want you bad!
I understand why the say,
“High school never ends.”

Lex sat, scrunched over in one of the booths at the Talon, staring in wonderment at the blonde across from him. She was talking very fast and waving her hands about rapidly but he hadn’t heard a word. He was too busy concentrating on her lips. Her perfect, full lips. The lips he had been recently having very X-rated dreams about. His eyes slowly began to travel down the smooth skin of her neck. The neck he’d imagined kissing and sucking on. Scraping his teeth along, over and over, until he had marked her. Claiming her as his. His eyes wandered even lower to the expanse of skin exposed by the low scoop of her shirt. God how he wanted to run his hands over and down onto her-

“Lex...?”

Her voice snapped him out of his thoughts, much to his chagrin. “Hhmm?” He asked, distractedly.

“What do you think?” She asked, turning around so her back was facing him.

“About what?”

Chloe huffed and looked back at him. “Does my butt look big in these jeans?” She asked, before turning around again and slightly sticking her bottom out.

Lex’s eye brow shot up. Oh how to answer that question. ‘No Chloe. You’re butt looks perfect in those jeans. It always looks perfect. Infact, it’s taking all of my will power not to reach out and see just *how* perfect it is.’ Something told him he wouldn’t receive the greatest reaction from Chloe if he actually said that.

“Lex!”

He shook his head and looked around the Talon, making sure their conversation at hand was still a private one. He looked back at her and decided that being vague about this question Chloe had, for some reason, sprung on him, was the best idea. “I don’t know.”

“No, seriously. Am I shaped like a pear?” She pushed

Lex had no idea what she meant by that, but if it allowed him to stare at her cute rear end for a little while longer, he’d play along. “Chloe. I’m a guy. I don’t know these things.”

The blonde turned around and scoffed at him, plunking back down into her side of the booth. She picked up the spoon that was lying on the table and began to stir her now, lukewarm coffee, looking at it with disdain.

‘Great Luthor. You made her sit down.’ He inwardly chastised himself, but outwardly asked, “More coffee?”

Chloe scrunched up her nose for a moment before nodding. “Yeah.”

Lex grabbed her mug and excused himself from their little booth, making his way over to the counter. He motioned for Lana to refill the mugs and then turned to look back at Chloe whom was now fiddling around with her digital. He had been regaled with the story of how Clark had knocked it from her hands into a trough at the farm, earlier. He watched as she poked and pulled at the little camera, trying to see if it was salvageable. From the look on her face, it didn’t look like it was.
Chloe tilted the lens towards her face and a bright flash went off. He couldn’t help but laugh a little when she blinked a few times and then dropped the camera onto the booth next to her, slumping over and closing her eyes.

These little meetings at the Talon had become somewhat of a custom for the two of them. It had all started two months ago. Lex had entered the little coffee house and spotted Chloe sitting on the couch, pounding angrily away at her laptop. Feeling mischievous, Lex decided to give her a hard time. He sauntered over and casually sat down next to her. She had stopped typing and slowly looked up at him with a vehement look on her face and spat, “Go away Luthor. I’m in a bad mood.”

He hadn’t, of course. Instead he just sat there, watching the steaming little blonde hack away on her keyboard. As he expected, and had hoped, this only miffed her more. She slammed her the top to her computer down and shot proverbial daggers at him, using rather colorful language that basically came down to her telling him to piss off.

Still, he didn’t comply to her demands. He casually draped his arm around the back of the couch and lightly asked what had gotten her so worked up. She told him to go to hell and shot out of the Talon like a wild banshee.

The very next day Chloe came into the Talon to find Lex sitting in one of the back booths, taking rather angrily in Japanese on his cell phone. An evil smile spread across her face and she practically skipped over to his table and plopped down into the seat opposite him, smiling cheerfully.

Lex had glanced up at her with an annoyed expression until understanding dawned and he grimaced. Chloe was getting her pay back for yesterday.

“Now’s really not a good time, Chloe,” he had whispered, covering the mouth piece to his cell phone.

All she had done was smile and tilt her head at him, continuing to stare. It hadn’t bothered him at first. At least she had been quiet. But after a while it began to unnerve him and make him, well, uncomfortable. And then she started to hum. Softly at first. So soft he couldn’t tell what exactly it was she was humming. But she quickly got louder and Lex had to bite back a groan at her choice of song. Her humming got so loud, infact, that he had barely been able to hear the man on the other end.

“Chloe...” he had hissed angrily. “Stop.”

And she did, the unwavering, megawatt smile returning to her face. Lex breathed a sigh of relief and returned to his conversation. His relief had only lasted a minute. Without warning, Chloe shot up and was suddenly on the table, singing the very song she had been humming a few moments ago at the top of her lungs. Only... she had altered the lyrics a bit.

“OOPS LEX DID IT AGAIN! EVEN THOUGH I WAS SAD. HE MESSED WITH ME BAD. OH BABY, BABY! OOPS HE THINKS HE’S SO SMOOTH. THINKS HE AFFECTED MY MOOD. AND NOW HE’S GETTING IT!!”

The coffee shop patrons had tried to contain their laughter, but when Chloe launched into her very own rendition of the first verse, nearly everyone had burst into hysterics.

Including Lex.

Between chuckles he told the man on the other end of his phone he’d have to call back and flipped his phone shut. Setting it on the table and watching the blonde on the table with rapt attention. The only thought that going through his head had been, “She’s fascinating...”

After singing the *entire* song, Chloe-lyrics included, she took a dramatic bow and hopped off the table, sitting back down in the booth and folding her hands together on the table. And then shot Lex a beaming, mischievous smile.

*Never act my age...
but you can tell by the lines in my smile
that I have been around for a while.
So insecurities...
Are about as useful as trying
to put the pin back in the grenade!
I want you bad!
I want you bad!
I understand why they say
High school never ends!*

And that was it. Nearly every day after that one of them would find the other when at the Talon. In the beginning it had still sorta been about who could annoy whom the most. But that quickly faded away to meaningful discussions and fun, flirty, verbal judo. And the more Lex got to know Chloe, the more he realized his supposed “fascination” with the barely eighteen year old girl, wasn’t fascination at all. It was something else. It went beyond attraction. He knew he was attracted to the blonde spitfire the minute he laid eyes on her in the Torch office. But it was more innocent than lust. He didn’t want to throw her down and have his wicked, wicked way with her. Well he *did* but that was another matter all in itself... No. When he was around Chloe he felt...nervous. Anxious. Uneasy. Like a teenage boy. A bumbling idiot.

“You have a crush on her, don’t you?”

Lana’s voice brought Lex out of la-la land, and he turned his attention towards the brunette. “Excuse me?”

“You’ve been staring at Chloe for the past five minutes with a ridiculous smile on your face. You have a crush on her, don’t you?” Lana repeated, grabbing two new mugs and pouring coffee into them.

Lex raised an eyebrow at her. “I’m a grown man.”

“Grown men can still have crushes.”

“Not this grown man,” he replied dryly.

Lana smiled and let out a little giggle. “Whatever you say.”

Lex had to resist the urge to roll his eyes as he grabbed the coffee mugs and turned back towards Chloe. His heart fell to his stomach. sitting in his spot was a built, blonde boy, talking to Chloe, whom was laughing hysterically at something he was saying. She never laughed like that at anything he said...

He started for the booth and nearly dropped the mugs when the blonde guy reached over and tucked a strand of Chloe’s hair behind her ear. Expecting Chloe to reach over and pummel the guy for touching her when she didn’t know him, a huge pet peeves of hers, Lex began to smirk. But when all she did was smile widely at him and turn a rosy color, Lex felt his blood run cold. Who was this creep and what was he doing in *his* seat? Well if Chloe wasn’t going to pummel him, Lex certainly would.

Finally making it to the table, Lex looked down at the guy and cleared his throat.

The blonde boy looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“I believe you’re in my seat.”

Blondie scoffed. “But we’re you *sitting* in said seat? No. You just left this luminous creature here to fend for herself.” He reached across the table and grabbed Chloe’s hand, placing a kiss on it.

Chloe’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Um, as much as I appreciate your concern, I’m perfectly capable of ‘fending’ for myself, thank you.” She slowly slid her hand out of blondie’s hand and dropped it to the booth.

This time, Lex smirked. “Alright then,” he replied, sliding into the booth next to Chloe. “I’ll just sit here.”

“Okay. Lex this is Crispin Black. Crispin Black, Lex Luthor.”

Crispin laughed condescendingly. “Lex Luthor huh. What a name. And what’s with the bald head?”

Chloe’s eyes widened at Crispin’s comment and immediately decided to put him in his place. “Coming from a boy whose name sounds like a product used in the kitchen,” she snapped back harshly. “As for the ‘bald head’ it just so happens he lost his hair because of the meteor shower. I think it’s sexy. You certainly wouldn’t be able to pull it off.” With that, Chloe practically shoved Lex out of the booth and then stood up herself.

“As fun as this was Crispin, we have to go.” Chloe picked up her bag and grabbed her jacket.

“Oh. Well, can I get your number?”

Chloe shook her head. “Nope. I’m not you’re type. I’m not inflatable. C’mon Lex.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the Talon.

TBC...

Mystykitty
7th July 2004, 06:47
cute. More now please

moultipass1
7th July 2004, 06:53
I thought I’d be evil and make yawl wait a little bit instead of giving it to you in all one go

I will not beg, I will not beg, I will not... oh hell! Who am I kidding? Of course I'll beg!

Next chapter soon pleeeeeaaaaaaaaase!!!!!!!!!

Moultipass :chlexsign4:

autumngold
7th July 2004, 09:36
I am really, really enjoying this story!! The Chlex banter is excellent and I love how Chloe stuck up for Lex!! I think Lex's bodyguards should visit Crispin and teach him some manners!! :hammer: :biggrin: Thank you for the new story!! :yay: I hope you update soon!! :wave: :chlexsign4: :wave:

pop55
7th July 2004, 12:06
:huh: That was AWSOME!!! I need more!! Please :yay: :yay: :yay:

Louise
7th July 2004, 12:18
Awh this is adorable - Lex with a crush, a Britney solo and coffee - what more does a fic need?!

Ooooh I know! Another chapter :biggrin:

Louise xx

asharnanae
7th July 2004, 13:42
Chloe shook her head. “Nope. I’m not you’re type. I’m not inflatable....."

Oh how wonderful! Love the banter, and lex is just a sweety!!! more please, as soon as humanly possible, and if thats to long, can you get some alien DNA implanted or something so that you can update faster, cuz this is fantasticlly smashing! :worship2:

sylvia
7th July 2004, 14:04
I really loved the banter, and Lex's crush was so sweet! Also love the way Chloe told Crispin Black (seriously. Crispin Black? :hehe:) off for messing with Lex.

Hope to see the next part very soon!

hfce
7th July 2004, 15:40
:lol: I love this story. Please more :lol:

Hope :)

scifichick774
7th July 2004, 16:26
Oh, Crispin, you fool. Don't you know better than to try and make fun of Lex? Tsk, tsk.

This is cute. Looking forward to more.

buddyfozzy
7th July 2004, 16:39
This is so cute :wub: Can't wait for the next part. :chlexsign3:

Seida
8th July 2004, 02:15
Oh that was great! Very Funny!!!

I was Actually Singing the "NOW HE’S GETTING IT" song out loud :goof: !! (ok maybe im just weird.. dont think about it too much)

Well Update soon!! bye :partyhat:

Kit Merlot
8th July 2004, 03:54
Manda, kickass beginning--Can't wait for more :biggrin:

TheDragonLady
8th July 2004, 08:52
*Dun-Dun-Dun*

Another one bites the dust.

Hehehe

I am in dire need of more to read from this particular fic...

Queen Of Tact
8th July 2004, 09:55
*gives manda a big hug* I so love the start of this... It's just what I needed after the long ass day at had at work last night.... I can't wait to read more...

CC

newbatgirl
9th July 2004, 01:00
i read this early this morning but I did not have time to post FB here it is:
ABSO-FRAGGIN FABULOUS. I think I may have busted something while reading this. Long Live the Queen!

Please update soon!

LarkLuthor
9th July 2004, 07:39
New Manda Fic! New Manda Fic! :yay: :yay2: :yay: :yay2: :yay: Sorry, I won't be able to give feedback till later. To exicited right now! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: Lark :biggrin:

autumngold
12th July 2004, 01:26
Enough making us suffer!! Come back and update please!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

ColumbiaBlue
12th July 2004, 02:16
I am so sorry this is taking so long, guys! I have the second part done and half of the last part but my laptop has gone completely schizo and it won't even turn on. No idea what happened to it but it went to the laptop hospital to get better. Fortunately, my cousin lets me use her computer so I'm not totally cut off from the net but, unfortunately, all of my stories are on my sick little laptop. So. That being said, it'll be a couple of days until this or any of my stories are updated but when I get my laptop back, I'll post both the second and last part for ya'll. Kay? Sorry!

~Manda :blinkkiss:

sydsvaughn
12th July 2004, 04:56
I'll be waiting dear! Having had my own laptop crash recently, I know what its like to be without!

Still, I love this bit so far and can't wait for the rest!!

SaraC

Queen Of Tact
12th July 2004, 05:39
Manda, sweetie you know i love ya, but if you don't get your butt back her with more theres going to be some trouble!!!!

Please please please please please update soon.... Don't make me have to beg more...

CC

P.s cause i just read ur message... If you want I can kill your laptop for you... Bad bad computer...

So I guess I will have to wait till ur computer gets all better, but I wont be happy about it *gives manda's computer an evil glare*

ColumbiaBlue
15th July 2004, 23:17
AN: Lap top’s still not back from the computer ER but I wanted to post something so I re-wrote this chapter on my cousins computer for ya’ll. Personally, I like this version better than the one on my lap top. Not so much a song fic anymore but, oh well. Hope you like it.

Oh, and, Happy Belated Birthday CC!

Smile Lines; Part Two

Lana had been refilling coffee mugs around the Talon when Lex and Chloe came breezing in through the doors, caught up in what seemed to be a passionate debate about... something. Truth be told, she had no idea what they were talking about most of the time. Too many big words.

"Okay, so I don't know much about cars." Chloe exclaimed, plopping down into their regular booth.

"Chloe, the salesman asked if you wanted a V6 or a V8 and you said you're prefer and Diet Coke." Lex replied, sitting down opposite her.

"I was making a joke!"

"Hey guys..." Lana greeted, setting down two mugs and filling them with coffee. "So what's going on?"

"I mentioned to Lex the other day that I was starting to look around for a new car, and being the over-protective and money savvy guy he is, offered his services while I was looking around."

"Little did I know that Miss Sullivan here knows absolutely *nothing* about cars."

Chloe rolled her eyes. "Okay, first of all, I'm a girl. I'm not supposed to know about cars and stuff. I have better things to do with my time. Second, I was making a *joke*! While I don't know much about cars, I do know the difference between a V6 and a V8... Okay, so, that's a lie. I really don't but still, it was a funny joke! And third, I don't know why I'm explaining this to you. O probably had a stroke and fell down and hit my head and I'm actually in the ICU right now, hallucinating all of this cause there is no way I'm defending myself to Lex Luthor. Nope. No way."

Lana blinked and looked back and forth between the two at the table. Her head was spinning. Their 'Verbal Karate' or whatever they called it was way too fast for her to comprehend. She was a simple minded girl... or so Lex had said. She really didn't know what that meant either.

"Sounds exciting," she offered, hoping she at least sounded like she had an idea of what was going on.

"The car salesman was less that thrilled with Chloe's attempt at humor." Lex chuckled, draping his arm on the back of the booth.

"Yeah. He really had his panties in a twist over something. Maybe he doesn't sell a lot of cars. Well, if he wants his sales to up, then maybe he should laugh at his customers jokes. Even if they aren't funny, which mine WAS!" Chloe stared pointedly at Lex.

"You keep telling yourself and maybe it'll be true," he mumbled.

Chloe rolled her eyes again and scoffed.

"You've got to stop those eye rolls. You're going to shake something loose in there."

"Yeah, well, I only roll my eyes around you and that's because you say things that deserve said eye rolls."

"You roll your eyes at Clark. And at me. And at your dad. And-" Lana prattled on and was quickly interrupted.

"Thank you Lana." Chloe bit out, glaring at the girl. Her gaze quickly snapped back to Lex whom was smirking and chuckling softly. "You are such a jerk," she mumbled, rolling her eyes yet again.

"But I'm a *charming* jerk. And that was another eye roll."

"If you don't stop with the eye roll commentary I'm going to knock something loose in your head with my fist. Got it?"

Lana giggled. "You two are so adorable together."

Two pairs of eyes snapped towards her simultanously.

"What?" Lex asked.

"Yeah, what?" Chloe echoed, lifting her mug to her lips and taking a gulp.

"The way you two carry on, it's cute. I don't see why you're not dating."

Chloe eyes widened and she felt the urge to laugh. Problem was, she still had a mouthful of coffee. She tried to stop it. She really did. But the idea of her and Lex dating was just way too laughable. So she laughed, spraying coffee all over Lana and her pink shirt in the process.

"Oh my God!' Lana screamed, looking down at her drenched shirt.

"Wow. Has the coffee here gotten that bad? Lana, I think you and I are going to need to have a talk." Lex cracked.

Chloe slapped a hand over her mouth at the mess she had just made, trying to contain her giggles.

Lana looked at Chloe, her mouth hanging open, making squeeking noises. "Y-You spat coffee all over me!"

Chloe winced. "Yeah. Sorry about that. But Lex and I dating? Come on now. You were asking for it."

"What's so laughable about us dating?" Lex asked.

Chloe looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Me and you? You and me? Dating? No way."

"And why not?"

"We'd kill each other. We barely get along as it is."

"I always looked at it as flirting."

Lana's attention snapped to Lex and she openly gaped. Was it possible that he was going to admit his feelings that she knew he had for Chloe?

"Flirting?" Chloe asked incredously.

"Yeah. Our little verbal exchanges are always charged with sexual tension. You can't tell me you haven't noticed it too."

"Lex, you're hitting on me!"

"I'm shocked. And appalled. But are you interested?"

Lana had to bite back a squeal. He *was* hitting on her! Oh this was too good.

Chloe's mouth dropped open and she stuttered a little bit before shaking her head and then turning to Lana. "Could you give us a minute? Please?"

Lana looked taken aback but nodded slowly and then sulked away.

Chloe rolled her eyes at the brunettes sudden mood swing and turned her attention back to Lex. "Are you serious? Or are you just making a joke?"

"I'm being serious. What would you say if I asked you on a date?"

"I'd ask what the hell you've been smoking and then suggest you recieve medical attention immediately."

"Why is the idea of you and I together so crazy to you?"

"Because, you're Lex Luthor..."

"And you're Chloe Sullivan... So?"

"You're not attracted to girls like me."

"I'm not? And here I thought asking you on a date was saying that I am attracted to girls like you. Or, you specifically."

"But you go for brunettes. Lana's more your type than I am."

Despite being a Luthor, Lex couldn't help his eyes bugging out at Chloe's comment. "Lana's my type? Now you're joking."

"Well, she's pretty and a brunette and-"

"Has the IQ of a walnut." Lex interrupted.

"What?"

"I prefer women who can hold their own in a conversation. Someone with wit and intelligence. Who isn't afraid of challenging something I say-"

"Then how do you explain Victoria and Helen?" Chloe snarked.

Lex shot her a look. "Funny. We're not going to go there tonight. Maybe on our date."

"Lex, we're not going on a date!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Again, why not?"

"Why not? I'm eighteen, you're twenty three. My dad. Your dad. The town-"

"The town?"

"Yes. They'll talk."

"And since when do you care about what the town says?"

"I don't care. I just don't want my love life to serve as gossip for the batty old women and soccer moms of the Smallville community."

"Are there more reasons on this already extensive list of yours?"

"Yes."

"Well carry on then."

"Honestly, I don't see you that way." Chloe inwardly cringed. Well if that wasn't a bold faced lie she didn't know what was.

"You don't see me that way?" Lex asked, amusement laced in his voice. "I think you do."

"And what makes you think that?"

"The way your cheeks turn adorably pink when I do this..." Lex trailed off and brushed the back of his hand across Chloe's cheek and down her neck, tracing her collar bone.

Sure enoughm Chloe's cheeks flushed and she bit her lip. Damn. "Yeah. So. I don't want to date you," she offered weakly.

Lex dropped his hand and sat back. "you really don't?"

Chloe sighed. Why was she doing this to herself? Of course she really wanted to date him. Why couldn't she just admit that to him? 'Because you're afraid of what he can do to your already bruised and battered heart...' a voice said in her head.

"I... I..."Chloe stuttered, looking everywhere but at Lex. Suddenly, she sat straight up and looked at her watch. "Well slap my ass and call my Judy, I have to go. I just remembered I have to do this... thing... for my dad. Bye." With that, she shot up from her seat and bolted from that Talon.

Lex let out a breath and watched her leave. He had just been rejected by an eighteen year old. And it hurt like hell.

It was then that Lana decided to pop by again. "If it were supposed to feel good, it wouldn't be called a crush," she sighed.

Lex glared at her and silently got up, leaving Lana gaping at his retrating form.

She had just been brushed off. Her. Lana Lang. Sweetheart and Princess of Smallville. And it hurt.

TBC...

Kit Merlot
16th July 2004, 01:53
Manda, this story ROCKS!! I love Lex telling Chloe how he feels about her--He is so freakin' charming :biggrin:

But Chloe backing off her attraction to him is just so wrong--but I can understand why she's doing it--she's scared.

So, its up to Lex to win her over--YEAH BABY!!

And can I say I loved Lana's "Verbal Karate" line--fabulous.

More soon :chlexsign1:

Béatrice
16th July 2004, 02:23
Originally posted by ColumbiaBlue@Jul 15 2004, 11:17 PM
Truth be told, she had no idea what they were talking about most of the time. Too many big words.

LOL It describes well Lana!

Poor Lex!!! :wub: He musn't be used to being rejected.

autumngold
16th July 2004, 03:22
Lex needs to go find Chloe right now and change her mind!! :yay2: He had better not let her fear get in the way of some hot Chlex smoochies!! Great chapter!! I can't wait to see what will happen next!! :biggrin: :chlexsign1: :biggrin:

hfce
16th July 2004, 05:14
Chloe come on fess up. Sheesh :rolleyes: and Lex don't worry she will come around. :hug:

Hope :chlexsign1:

eurydices falling
16th July 2004, 05:43
Madness I say!

For the love of vicarious, gratuitous sex Chloe, give the man a chance. I need a hit of Lexy goodness and you&#39;re gonna comply <shakes fists wildly>

jk...but seriously this story is good times. You gotta update soon mmkay?mmkay.

sylvia
16th July 2004, 06:26
Lana blinked and looked back and forth between the two at the table. Her head was spinning. Their &#39;Verbal Karate&#39; or whatever they called it was way too fast for her to comprehend. She was a simple minded girl... or so Lex had said. She really didn&#39;t know what that meant either.

Lana dissing, crazy, funny verbal judo, and just the right amount of angst to make it realistic -- perfect ingredients for a Chlex fic.

More soon please&#33;

asharnanae
16th July 2004, 17:12
*dances jiggery pokery dance of joy&#33;* Oh this is FANTASTIC&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; the banter was perfect, but what is chloes malfunction&#33;&#33; :worship2:

Shay
17th July 2004, 05:55
"Well slap my ass and call my Judy, I have to go. I just remembered I have to do this... thing... for my dad. Bye." Too funny.

Lex better not give up. Work that Luthor charm man&#33; Sheesh.

More Soon
Shay

ColumbiaBlue
6th October 2004, 06:47
AN: Just reposting the two chapters lost in the board glitch. The last part should, hopefully, be up soon.

Smile Lines... Part Three

Chloe sat in the Talon the next afternoon tucked away into what she hoped was an inconspicious booth. Not because she was avoiding Lex or anything like that. She had no reason to. Because she was not going to let what happened yesterday get to her. She wasn’t going to over analyze anything, and she was *not* going to overreact. Nope. Because she could sooo deal with her feelings for him. That wasn’t the problem.
The part about him having feelings for her, that was the problem and was totally unexpected.

Before Lex had started all this mumbo-jumbo about them going on a date, she could live happily in her little world of denial and completely ignore her feelings for him. Pretend they didn’t really exist because, the way she saw it, Lex would never have feelings for her. Because she wasn’t his type. She was a blonde, first of all, and she was a reporter. A snoopy reporter at that. She stuck her nose in places it didn’t belong and that just didn’t mix well with Lex or any Luthor for that matter. She was quirky and eccentric and unconventional, and Lex never went for that type of girl. He dated leggy, busty, brunettes who, more times than not, wound up trying to off him or were with him for his money and/or social status. So that was why it caught her completely off guard when Lex suddenly annouced that she WAS his type after all. And wasn’t that just spit in your face, kick you in the crotch fantastic.

"Are you okay Chloe?"

Chloe jumped about a mile and knocked her coffee mug off the table.
"God Lana, you scared the crap out of me," she exclaimed, clutching at her heart.

"Sorry," the brunette smiled sheepishly, sitting down across from Chloe. "So what’s wrong?"

Chloe scrunched her eyebrows at her room mate. "There’s nothing wrong."

Lana gave her a look. "Chloe, I’ve lived with you for over a year. I think I would know when there’s something wrong with you."

Chloe leaned forward in her seat and bit her lip. "I need some advice."

Lana’s eyebrow shot upwards. "You need advice from ME?"

"Yeah, frightening isn’t it."

"Okay... So what do you need advice on?"

"Lex."

"Okay. About what happened yesterday right?"

Chloe blinked. When had Lana become so intuitive. "Yeah. I don’t know what to do."

Lana rolled her eyes. "Don’t make this more difficult then it has to be. He has feelings for you and I *know* you have feelings for him so just go out with him already."

"But it’s not that easy-"

"Yes it is Chloe."

"No it’s not."

"Fine." Lana huffed. "Why isn’t it that easy."

"I think you’re forgetting my track record when it comes to guys."

"Don’t let Clark ruin this for you. He’s not worth it Chloe."

"I know he’s not worth it but that still doesn’t mean what he did to me didn’t hurt."

"Okay... but, Lex isn’t Clark. What’s the problem?"

"I... I guess I’m just afraid of what Lex could do to me. If I let him in, he could hurt me. If I don’t, he can’t."

"So? Don’t you think it’s better to love someone and lose them or have them hurt you than to never love someone just because it’s safe? That’s what whimps do Chloe and you are not a whimp. You’re the bravest girl I know and I want you to start acting like it."

"When did you become an expert on love Lana?" Chloe asked skeptically

The other girl shrugged. "When I decided that I needed to get over Clark. I kept concentrating on how badly it ended and how much it hurt that I completely blocked out the good and the fact that for a few days, I felt real love."

Chloe knew she was gaping but she was shocked at what was coming out of Lana’s mouth. The girl was fooling everyone. She wasn’t as dimwitted and as shallow as she came off.

"Wow..." Was all she could get out.

"Being in love is amazing Chloe, and I don’t want you to miss out on the opportunity to be in love because you’re afraid of getting hurt. So I’ll tell you what. I’m going to give you a big hug and then kick you out of the Talon and you need to go over to the mansion and accept Lex’s invitation for that date he was talking about. And if you don’t then I’m cutting you off from all sources of caffine." With that, Lana got up from her seat and wrapped her arms around Chloe, giving her a tight hug. She stood up, smiled, and scurried off into the back of the Talon.

Chloe sat there stunned for a few moments, partly because of Lana’s sudden wisdom, partly because the girl had actually threatened to cut off her caffine supply. She shook herself out of her fog and got up, striding purposefully out of the Talon.

Lana poked her head out of the swinging door just in time to see Chloe leaving. A wide smile spread across the brunettes face and she giggled to herself. God she was good.

TBC...

Smile Lines... Part Four

Chloe was certain that she had to have been exposed to some form of meteor substance recently because that was the *only* excuse for what she was doing at that very moment. Driving to Metropolis in seach of Lex at 8:45 at night. She returned home from the Talon, intending to just change quickly and head on over to the mansion to spill her guts to Lex. But his message he’d left on her cell phone changed all that. Apparently Lex was running away too. He claimed he was just giving her "space" but Chloe knew better. Lex didn’t care about space. The only reason he ever "took a little trip" was because HE had been hurt or embarrassed. And it just so happened that SHE was the one that hurt and embarrassed him that time. He hadn’t specified where exactly he was running to, but Chloe knew it was Metropolis. That’s where he always went. So she hopped into her car without a second thought and started towards the city.

Damn Lana Lang for putting ideas into her head. Who knew the brunette actually entertained thoughts other than about herself? Chloe certainly had been convinced that was the only thing Lana ever thought about, and she was happy thinking that too. Lana was the *only* person who never gave Chloe crap about anything because she was too busy talking about her problems. It figured that Lana would pick that particurlar moment in time to suddenly become interested in other people’s problems and then give unwanted, but very intelligent advice And damn herself for actually taking said advice&#33; Advice that made something click inside of her head and made her think, *really* think about the whole Lex situation.

"This is SUCH a you thing to do, Chloe," she berated herself, shaking her head. "You choose NOW to start taking people’s, not even people’s, Lana, a girl who never thought about anyone but herself up until yesterday’s, advice. Why? *WHY* you you do this to yourself?" She exclaimed, banging her hand on the steering wheel.

‘You’re just special...’ A little voice spoke in her mind. She rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Oh yeah, I’m special alright. Special people always talk to themselves."

Her cell phone suddenly rang, preventing Chloe from going on another tirade about how talking to herself was BAD, and she grabbed it from the seat next to her, answering with a, "What?"

"Where are you?" Lana’s voice asked.

"Um... Driving to Metropolis." Chloe replied.

"Why?"

"Because that’s where Lex is."

"Lex is in Metropolis? Why?"

Chloe scrunched up her nose. "I think it has something to do with the fact that I laughed in his face several times at his mention of us going on a date, and then running like hell away from him... I think I might’ve embarrassed and hurt him a little... Hey, you wouldn’t happen to know the name of his building and the number of his penthouse, would you?"

"You don’t know where his penthouse it? Jeeze Chloe, have you thought this through at ALL?" Lana dead panned.

"Do I ever think things through Lana? No. I just get an idea into my head and run with it. An idea that *you* put into my head in the first place, might I remind you."

"Yeah but, I didn’t expect you to go tear ass-ing to Metropolis in search of Lex when you don’t even know where he lives."

"Look, do you know it or not? I just entered the city limits."

"Yeah, it’s in my palm pilot. Lex gave it to me incase there was even an emergency at the Talon."

"A coffee emergency?" Chloe cracked.

"Hey, you of all people shouldn’t be mocking coffee emergencies, Ms. Caffine-a-holic."

"Okay, okay, do you have the number yet?" Chloe asked, looking out the windows for an apartment looking type of building or... something.

"Yeah. The building’s called Millionaire’s Row, Top Floor Suite."

Chloe rolled her eyes. "Millionaire’s Row... I’m in love with a pomass-"

"What did you say?&#33;" Lana screeched, interrupting Chloe’s train of thought.

Chloe’s eyes widened at her words and tried to back track. "Um... nothing. So thank you for the, stuff."

"You said LOVE&#33; Chloe you’re-"

"Goodbye Lana&#33;" She exclaimed, clicking her phone shut and turning it off. She was sure Lana would keep calling until Chloe had infact said she loved Lex, but she’d deal with that admission at a later date.

Three stop lights and two right turns later Chloe pulled up in front of Lex’s building she turned off the car and got out, quickly slipping past the doorman as he talked to an elderly couple. She made her way over to the elevator, got in, punching the correct button on the pannel. Her stomach began to flutter with aprehension. Just what exactly was she going to say? ‘Hi Lex. Lana suddenly grew a brain and began spouting out good advice that I actually took. So here I am. Love me?’

Yeah, like *that* would go over well. She supposed she should start off by apologizing for laughing at the idea of them going on a date and then for ditching him. Her thoughts were interrupted when the elevator dinged and the doors opened revealing a spacious foier with white marble flooring. The elevator went straight to Lex’s suite? That was odd. Chloe stepped out into the room, her shoes clicking loudly on the floor. The walls were painted a depressing grey color and Chloe suddenly realized why Lex retreated here when he was hurt or embarrassed. This place was depressing.

"Chloe?" Lex’s voice suddenly spoke up, causing her to jump a mile.

She whipped around and smiled nervously at him. "Um... Hi." Oh God. He was wearing sweatpants... Only sweatpants. She had to remind herself to breathe.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Um... Well..." She glanced around and smiled again. "I realized that I’ve never been to your apartment before and decided I should remedy that." She looked around again and nodded. "Cozy... If your Hannibal Lector."

Lex smirked and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Care to tell me the *real* reason you’re here?"

Chloe bit her lip. "Um... not really. But I suppose I have to eventually."

"Why don’t we move this to the living room. Follow me."

She followed him down a hallway and into another grey room. The carpet was white and there were black leather couches strewn about.

"Have a seat." Lex motioned towards a leather love seat and sat down in the one opposite her.

Once they were all situated Chloe took a deep breath and started talking. "I wanted to apoligize for my behavior yesterday... It was rude and insensitive of me to first, laugh at the idea of us going on a date and then completely ditching you. I’m very sorry..." She trailed off and began looking everywhere but at Lex.

"... And?" He prodded. "You didn’t come all the way to Metropolis just to apologize for yesterday did you?"

"Well, no. I’m not sure how to say the rest. You’re going to think I’m so fickle. Just yesterday I was laughing at the very idea of us, and now..." Chloe trailed off.

"Now, what?" Lex asked, getting up and going to sit next to Chloe.

She finally forced herself to look into his eyes. "And now it’s not so funny anymore. It almost makes perfect sense. You and me, together."

Lex let out a deep breath he didn’t even know he had been holding and ran his hand over his head. He got up and walked to the other side of the room, gazing out the floor to ceiling window that overlooked the entire city. "What made you change your mind?" He finally asked, his back still to her.

Chloe rolled her eyes and let out a sardonic laugh. "Lana, actually."

Lex whipped around, eyebrow raised high. "Lana?"

Chloe nodded, knotting her hands together. "Yeah. She’s got everyone fooled. She’s not nearly as dimwitted as she appears to be."

"Is that so?"

Chloe nodded again and out came her earlier conversation with Lana. Lex stood trying not to gape and finding it hard to believe Lana Lang would say stuff like that.

"Lana said all of this?" Lex questioned, disbelievingly.

"Yeah. She did. And the scary part is that I took her *good* advice and that’s why I’m here. Granted, she didn’t exactly tell me to get in my car and drive all the way to Metropolis just to tell you all of this but, I knew if I didn’t do it now, I’d never do it. And Lana’s right. I can’t miss out on this opportunity because I’m afraid of what you can do to me. Of how much you can hurt me-"

"Chloe, I’d never-"

"And don’t say you’d never hurt me because that would just be a lie. I know you’d never intentionally hurt me but, hurt happens. It’s a part of life. And the good erases the bad. So. I guess what I’m saying, although not very eloquently but I’m still say it none-the-less, is that I agree. We should go on a date. And I think I love you."

TBC...

autumngold
6th October 2004, 08:58
Thank you for reposting your missing chapters&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t wait to read more&#33;&#33; :wub: :chlexsign4: :wub:

sylvia
6th October 2004, 10:57
Thanks for the re-post. I think Lana&#39;s actually quite in character with this one. Good intentions, not too bright, but, what with Jason and all, good at spewing romantic advice cliches. Heh. Anyway, update soon&#33;

Kit Merlot
6th October 2004, 15:05
Manda, Excellent update&#33; Good for Chloe for admitting her love for Lex, and then going to him to tell him :biggrin:

Wonderful :chlexsign2:

hfce
6th October 2004, 15:23
Ok new chapter now.. I am waiting.... :popdevil:

Hope :D

Augustine86
6th October 2004, 18:24
There should be a law against people for leaving fanfics at such obvious cliffhanger moments. Or a commandment, for fast updates:

"Thou shalt not leave thy readers hanging onto your very word from more than a day"

Anyway UPDATE&#33; This is good.

AlabamaWorley
8th October 2004, 19:09
Argh&#33; I was expecting a little follow-up to that adorable bomb CHloe just dropped&#33; It&#39;s okay though, my previous feedback had disappeared anyway. Still loving it, still want more&#33; :biggrin:

ColumbiaBlue
19th January 2005, 04:43
AN: This was a bitch and a half to write and I’m sorry it took me SO long. But alas, the final chapter is here&#33; I think it kinda sucks but, it’s done and posted. I like how Lana turned out though. Figures. :D

Thanks for reading and I hope this is alright.

Smile Lines... Epilogue

Chloe sauntered into the Talon bright and early the next morning, dark circles under her eyes, and flopped down into a booth in a corner. She glanced around and gave a sigh of relief when she didn’t see Lana. She really didn’t need an inquisition by the doe-eyed brunette right now. Not after the night she had just had.

A waitress scurried over and set a mug down on the table, pouring steaming coffee into it before shooting Chloe a smile and scurrying off again. She blew on the liquid for a few moments and was just about to take a sip when...

“Omigosh, Chloe. What are you doing here?&#33;”

Chloe groaned and dropped her head down on the table top as Lana suddenly materialized out of nowhere and sat down in the seat opposite her. Why hadn’t she gone to The Beanery?

“What does it look like? Getting my caffine fix for the day.”

“Yeah but, why are you here alone?” Lana pushed.

“... Because my imaginary friend is mad at me.” Chloe replied sarcastically, stirring her coffee with a spoon absent-mindedly.

Lana gave her a strange look and sighed, giving up on her subtle attempts at asking what she really wanted to know. “Where’s Lex?”

Chloe smiled tightly at her roommate and dropped the spoon to the table with a loud ‘tink.’

“Lex is in Metropolis.”

“And why aren’t you with him?”

“Because I’m here.”

Lana sighed again and threw up her hands. “Chloe Sullivan. Quit being so difficult and just spill the details already. What happened?”

The bell above the Talon’s door went off and Chloe and Lana’s attention snapped towards them just in time to see Lex enter. His eyes met Chloe’s for a few brief moments before he looked away, straightened his shoulders, and walked briskly to the opposite side of the coffee shop, sitting down and glancing around.

“At least I thought he was in Metropolis...” Chloe muttered under breath, ducking her head.

Lana looked at her scowling blonde friend and raised an eyebrow. “What’s going on with you two? Did last night not go well?”

Chloe rolled her eyes and huffed angrily. “Go see what he wants Lana.”

“Why me? You’re the one in love wi-”

“I am *not* in love with him. Any and all feelings I had for that bald bastard have been squashed and burried six feet under.”

“But why. What did he do? What’s going on.”

Chloe shook her head and took a sip on her coffee. “Just, please go see why he’s here.”

Lana eyed Chloe warily for a moment before letting out a terse breath. “Fine. But you owe me.”

“And don’t say I want to know why he’s here. Be subtle&#33;” Chloe called after her.

The brunette spun around and winked. “I am the queen of subtly, Chloe. Don’t you worry.”

Chloe plastered a fake grin onto her face and prayed to any diety that would listen for Lana not to make a complete and total spectale.

Lana sauntered over to where Lex was sitting, determined to get something out of someone.

“Hi Lex, you’re here early,” she greeted cheerfully.

Lex glanced up from the newspaper he had been reading and offered her a tight-lipped smile. “Hi Lana. I’m just here for the books.”

She smiled again and rocked back on her heels, completely ignoring Lex’s request. “Oh. Well, Chloe’s over there if you’re looking for her.”

Lex sighed and folded the newspaper up, setting it on the table. “I’m not looking for Chloe. I just came for the books.”

Again, Lana ignored him and sat down in the seat across from him, folding her hands on the table, and leaning forward.

“So how’s life treating you these days? We haven’t really gotten a chance to talk lately. Anything... exciting happen?” She paused and eyed him carefully for a moment before continuing. “Buy any companys? Eat anything good? Meet anyone interesting? Break anyone’s heart recently?”

Lex’s eyes snapped to Lana’s and held her gaze in a silent stare down. Just what was the girl getting at?

Lex smirked and leaned back in his chair. “The books please, Lana,” he repeated for the third time, daring her with his eyes to lose it.

And she did. She slammed both palms down onto the table with surprising force and screwed up her face.

“I’ll get the books when you tell me what you did that has Chloe looking so sad and heartbroken. I don’t like it when people hurt my friends, and Chloe is one of my best friends. You’d be lucky to have her as your girlfriend and if you rejected her after she drove all the way out to Metropolis and spilled her guts to her, then you’re not as smart as everyone thinks you are.”

Lex tried his hardest not to laugh at the irate girl sitting across from him. Who knew Lana Lang could get so worked up over some one other then herself?

He slowly got up from his seat and quickly glanced over to where Chloe was sitting. She was leaned over a notebook, head resting in her palm, and trying her hardest to to appear as though she were watching his and Lana’s every move.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be in my office sorting through some things. Since that little fit is out of your system, I assume you’ll bring the books back to me? Alright,” he nodded and strode quickly into the back of the Talon before Lana could get another word in edgewise.

He had just settled back into his seat in his office when his door flew open and Lana came bursting in, dragging a squirming Chloe behind her.

“Lana Lang you are SUCH a traitor&#33;” Chloe exclaimed before her eyes landed on Lex, quieting immediately.

“What’s this?” Lex asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You two are acting like five year olds&#33; I don’t even CARE what happened anymore. I just want you to FIX IT&#33; So you’re not leaving this office until you’ve sorted through whatever issues you have with each other.” Lana demanded, roughly pushing Chloe down into a chair and heading for the door.

“And how, prey tell, do you plan on keeping us in here genius? The door doesn’t lock from the outside.” Chloe quipped.

Lana stuttered for a moment looking back and forth between Chloe and Lex. “I’ll- I’ll... If you leave this office I’ll spray you with the whipped cream gun&#33;” She exclaimed before stomping out of the room and slamming the door.

Lex bit the sides of his cheeks to keep from laughing hysterically and stood up from his seat, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Well that was... interesting.” Chloe spoke up looking at him.

“Interesting’s a good word for it, sure,” he replied.

Chloe stood up and made her way closer to where he was standing. “You want to laugh, don’t you.”

“No I don’t want to laugh. I think it’s endearing how worried she is about you.”

Chloe scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Just admit it. You had to bite the sides of your cheeks to keep from bursting at her little tantrum. ‘I’ll squirt you with the whipped cream gun&#33;’ Hilarious&#33;”

Lex’s face finally cracked into a smile and he relaxed. “She wouldn’t really squirt us.”

“Yeah she would. Do not underestimate what Lana will and will not do when she’s in a snit. She’d surprise you.” Chloe replied, stepping even closer.

Without warning, Lex reached out and caught her by her waist, hauling her against his chest and covering her mouth with his. A surprised squeak came from Chloe before she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck, surrendering completely to the kiss.

After a few moments, they broke away breathless, Lex leaning his forehead against her’s and opening his eyes.

“Do you think she bought it?”

Chloe giggled softly and bit her lip. “If she hadn’t bought it, do you think we would’ve had to witness the little display of Lana-rage that just went down? We deserve Oscar’s for our performances.”

“Remind me again why we decided to mess her head? What have we gained by making her believe we want nothing to do with each other anymore?”

“It’ll certainly teach her to think before just spouting out advice to unsuspecting people.”

“Advice which you said was good advice.” Lex reminded.

“Yes, but does *she* know it was good advice? No. This will keep her from knocking other people’s worlds off of their axies like she did with mine. My life was just peachy before she came along and started spouting off perfectly good love advice.”

“And how long are you planning on keeping her in the dark about us?” Lex asked against Chloe’s lips, playfully nipping.

She sighed softly. “Not for long. But look at it this way. When she does find out, the entire town will find out and we...” She trailed off and pressed a whisper of a kiss on Lex’s lips. “Will have no more privacy.”

“You make an extremely valid point. How long do you think we can elude her? Because I like privacy.”

“How about you shut up and kiss me some more already?”

“Sounds like a plan.” With that, Lex wrapped his arms around Chloe, lifted her up, and planted a passionate kiss on her awaiting lips.

“Oh one more thing.”

“What Chloe?”

“I love you.”

Lex smiled and leaned in closer whispering a, “I love you too,” before capturing his ler lips again.

They could deal with Lana Lang and the rest of the town later.

The End

newbatgirl
19th January 2005, 06:14
You&#39;re ALIVE&#33; And you brought a wonderful present for us. *hugs fic until Manda forces her to share with teh other fanfic fiends&#33;*

I liked the way this ended. I thought it was adorable&#33;&#33;&#33; Lana&#39;s lines were a riot. If only the pink princess were 1/100th as wittyas you wrote her.

Kit Merlot
19th January 2005, 19:14
Oh yeah, this was a great ending&#33;

I do feel kind of bad for Lana because she was nice in this story, but Chloe and Lex are too cute for words.

Wonderful ending :biggrin:

Ainur
25th January 2005, 04:56
Oh my, it was so cute and endearing. I loved the ending. Great job&#33;&#33;&#33;

darkangel
11th July 2005, 04:26
I loved this fic especially the end.

arkakitty
12th July 2005, 23:49
Awwww so cute. You even had me fooled in the epilogue...but not for long.... :)
I loved it!

meeaz
13th July 2005, 04:12
aw that was so cute! great job!

Rachet
3rd May 2010, 09:58
Thanks for this funny little fic.