PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Devious Mind - Pg13

tthjinni
6th July 2004, 23:12
Title: Confessions of a Devious Mind
Author: Jinni (druscilla@cox.net)
Rated: Pg13
Pairing: Chloe/Lex (who else?)
Disclaimer: All things Smallville belong to the WB, DC Comics, et al.
Distribution: The normal places.
Author's Notes: For the 'official challenge' at N-S.net
Summary: When Lex finds something he has no business seeing, he's forced to make a decision - to read it or not to read it.

~*~*~

"Chloe – we’re going to be late.”

Lex looked down the short hallway to her closed bedroom door as he spoke, pitching his voice just loud enough for her to hear.

“Going as fast as I can, Luthor. Next time you need a date for one of these things why don’t you try letting me know in advance so I’m not scurrying around at the last minute?”

He sighed, hating the fact that she was right. The woman that was supposed to be accompanying him tonight, a vapid thing who’s only use was to decorate his arm, had canceled at the last second – right as he was settling into the limo to pick her up for dinner, in fact. Thus his last minute call to Chloe. Thankfully, she’d agreed to do this yet again, though he knew she’d never let him forget this little favor. Then again, he expected nothing less of her. Their friendship was perfect in that manner – a mutual case of give and take for personal gain.

It was a friendship far too precious to ruin, he told himself firmly as he glanced again towards her bedroom door.

“Too precious,” he muttered. How many friendships had he lost since taking control of LuthorCorp? Not that there had been an abundance to begin with, but Chloe was the *only* friend that had stuck by his side – scandals and all. She didn’t look down on him for being ruthless, so long as he didn’t push things with her.

And he didn’t want to lose that by telling her that he thought he might just love her.

In fact, he was damn sure of that simple fact. Hard as he had tried to deny it, love had snuck up and hit him right squarely over the head when it came to Chloe Sullivan.

“Chloe –“

”Five minutes!”

Lex snorted, knowing that five could just as easily mean fifteen or twenty. What did it matter if he was late anyhow? His party or not, the planning staff was more than capable of running things on their own. He pushed aside Chloe’s old, worn quilt, taking its place on the couch.

“Ow!” he cursed softly, reaching behind him to grab the object that had just so rudely poked into his rear.

Journal

Nondescript in a bookish way, he would have known what it was even if the word wasn’t written on its cover. This was Chloe’s journal.

Common decency told him to put it right back where he found it, forget he ever saw it.

Lex smirked. He was anything but ‘common’, even in the area of decency. And wouldn’t she, on some level, be shocked if he didn’t take a look? It was almost expected of him, right? It wasn’t as if she’d ever held back when doing her damndest to hijack his files for her next big story.

With another glance at the bedroom door, cracked it open to the latest entry, eyes widening almost immediately as he read.

He’ll be here any second now…I should get up and get dressed… But really I just want to throw up. Another night on his arm, playing the part of his date… When all I want it to be that girl. The one he loves…

~*~*~

Lex shoved the journal back into his pocket, glancing up and down the back corridor of the hotel before stepping out. Chloe would be getting suspicious if he didn’t get back to her soon. It was bad enough he’d slipped out *again*.

It wasn’t his fault that she’d written those things, however. All of her deepest, darkest fantasies. The things that she wanted to do with him…to him. It was all there in black and white, penned by her own hand. But it was the other things that drew him in. The part where she detailed what she liked about him, how she admired him.

The part where she said she was pretty sure she’d done the worst thing possible – she’d fallen in love with her best friend.

I don’t know how much longer I can stand it. Being around him, not being able to say the words…it hurts. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I never saw him again…

That was what had ended his latest reading session. That one little section in a journal filled with so much more. He was losing her and he’d never even had her.

Not something he planned on letting happen.

Now or ever.

~*~*~

She looked beautiful, dressed in the gown he’d gotten for her after the last time he needed an ‘emergency date’.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he answered honestly as he pulled her closer. She’d worn the perfume he liked…the jewelry he’d been slowly giving her over the last couple years. Every inch of her reminded him of …himself. She’d wrapped herself up nicely for him, a gesture he now saw as the love it was.

“You’re beautiful,” Lex murmured into her ear, daring to place a featherlight kiss on the lobe as he pulled away.

She pulled back, looking at him curiously. “You sure nothing’s wrong?”

He shrugged. “I realized something tonight.”

“Which would be…?”

“I love you.”

She laughed softly, averting her eyes from his. “I love you, too.”

“I know.” The words slipped from his mouth before he could stop them. He braced himself for the glare that was to come, the speculative look, and then the final indignant outrage when she realized what he’d done.

Only to have her laugh a little harder. “You read it. Didn’t you?”

Lex nearly stumbled. “You’re not mad?”

“Mad?” She shook her head, the smile never leaving her lips. “Why would I be? I’ve been leaving it around for you to read for the last month. Hoping you’d get the hint. Took you long enough, Luthor.”

~*~The End~*~

hfce
6th July 2004, 23:18
:lol: Oh my that was so Chloe. I loved it. Great job. :clap:

Hope :)

autumngold
6th July 2004, 23:39
I just knew Chloe wanted Lex to read it!! Excellent story!! I love that Chloe and Lex's relationship is now going to be so much more!! :chlexsign2:

newbatgirl
7th July 2004, 00:23
I am in awe of you yet again! That was romantic, clever, and sweet. Just like they should be. I LOVE that she "hid" it for him to find!

Well done.

asharnanae
7th July 2004, 00:47
:biggrin: you know how fantastic this is, great fic! :worship2:

ColumbiaBlue
7th July 2004, 06:37
Oh I loved this. I knew Chloe left it there on purpose. That's so something she would do too.

~Manda :blinkkiss:

TheDragonLady
7th July 2004, 07:25
That was SUCH a Chloe thing to do!

I loved it!

Val
8th July 2004, 05:29
LOL that was great!
Loved how Lex walked right into Chloe's 'trap' *g* Great job!

AlabamaWorley
8th July 2004, 16:13
Yay! I had this godawful fear that it was going to be about Clark, but it turned out great!

Shay
18th July 2004, 01:06
Sometimes you have to beat them over the head Chloe...

Wonderful fic

Shay

Clannadlvr
18th July 2004, 05:26
And he didn’t want to lose that by telling her that he thought he might just love her.

*romantic sigh*

Ah, Chloe, you're such a badass! *grins* Lovely job, Jinni!

Ainur
19th November 2004, 06:29
“Mad?” She shook her head, the smile never leaving her lips. “Why would I be? I’ve been leaving it around for you to read for the last month. Hoping you’d get the hint. Took you long enough, Luthor.”
That was so precious and funny. Very inventive of Chloe. She's very resourceful. Great job! :wub:

buddyfozzy
19th November 2004, 21:29
This was so sweet. :wub: Well done! :worship2:

randa
19th November 2004, 21:46
chloe = smart
lex = stupid..well until now!

loved it all

randa

lexodus
19th November 2004, 22:15
It figures that when Lex is feeling guilty about something, Chloe had it planned out. That was great. You should write a sequel.

chloedreamer
21st February 2005, 06:49
aww Lex was feeling guilty when Chloe had set the whole thing up and had been waiting for him to take the bait for a month. lol

Luna
23rd February 2005, 19:46
Loved this.
Especially Chloe & Lex characterization. The fact that Lex couldn't stop himself from reading Chloe's diary when he found it was such a Lex thing to do.
As it was a very Chloe thing to do leave her diary laying around for Lex to read. :biggrin:

Great job! :chlexsign3:

carebear72884
24th February 2005, 01:31
Awww! so short, so sweet, so great...good job.

mimi71884
24th February 2005, 06:25
SO GREAT! SO GREAT! :goof: :goof:

wow. gotta love those one parters that actual leave you satisfied at the end (as opposed to ongoing sagas which are never updated!!)

Thanks so much for that adorable little piece!! :chlexsign2: :chlexsign2:

Baily007
24th February 2005, 10:41
:wub: So sweet :wub:

starmoon
5th March 2005, 01:47
That was sweet and cute :blinkkiss: I love the ending that was just funny. :biggrin: ;)

kimmie
13th August 2005, 01:37
Loved how Chloe set Lex up to read the journal, so weet and romantic!!!

Kimmie

PMD
24th October 2005, 11:40
Right now, I'm sitting back, grinning from ear to ear---even though I have a cold. This is just what the doctor ordered---nice warm fuzzies to keep me warmer than my comforter. Thanks for a wonderful story. :)

Nonhalema
23rd June 2007, 13:15
Great...loved Chloe's tactic...great idea

~*~Tasha~*~
14th September 2009, 00:12
I liked this. Very sweet.

macgurL91
11th October 2009, 16:13
wow! i love it! thank you for this one. keep up the good work.(=

chloedreamer
16th October 2009, 02:47
I don't remember if I've read this before or not but it was really cute. Chloe wanted Lex to read it.

Ami Rose
3rd June 2013, 21:03
Lmao awsome