PDA

View Full Version : [Completed] Nightswimming - R *COMPLETED 7/5/04*

newbatgirl
21st June 2004, 03:59
A/N: I have been trying for days to write the next chapter of 'Family Matters' but I can't because this is taking up residence in my brain!!! Dammit. So I decided to put it out here and hopefully, my brain will cooperate now and let me get back on track.

Needy writer, will work for feedback.

Title: Nightswimming
Author: Newbatgirl
Rating: R
Email: newbatgirl@yahoo.com
Pairings: Chlex
Spoilers: Covenant, for sure.
Category: Romance
Summary: Six years into the future, Lex and Chloe meet in California and get to know each other better through a unique nightly ritual.
Disclaimer: Don't own them, not profiting from this in anyway except for occasional boosts to my self-esteem (if I am lucky). If I were profiting, do you think I'd be driving that piece of crap sitting in my driveway? Don’t think so.
Notes: Not really a songfic but loosely inspired by REM's Nightswimming from the CD Automatic For the People, which is as close to perfect as a CD can get in my opinion. This fic is also kind of a big wet kiss to the City of San Diego.

Prologue

You, I thought I knew you.
You I cannot judge.
You, I thought you knew me,
this one laughing quietly underneath my breath.
Nightswimming.

A Waterfront Hotel, San Diego, CA…late afternoon

Lex Luthor checked his watch for the third time and stabbed the UP button on the elevator again. Logically, he knew that it wouldn't make it come any faster but he had to do something. With a subtle sigh of impatience he scanned the lobby of the hotel. As far as hotels went, it was nice, if a bit excessive on the gold plate and marble. His spacious suite on the top floor was likely even more beautiful, not that it mattered much. He didn’t really intend to spend much time there. He was in town to finalize a deal and he would probably be in meetings for much of his stay.

Lex's eyes lingered briefly on the rather attractive rear end of a woman leaning over the front desk. From his angle, all he could see of her was the way the black skirt she was wearing enhanced her curves. He heard the desk clerk say "We'll send someone up shortly with your bags, Miss."

"Thank you," she answered and began to move towards the elevator. Lex quickly averted his eyes. He didn't want the woman to see him checking her out. It might encourage her to start up some boring and trite conversation that he didn't have time for. He had just enough time to get upstairs, change his shirt, clean up a bit, and get back downtown to have dinner with the president of CalChip, the company he was trying to acquire.

He barely glanced up when she joined him at the elevator bank. Out of the corner of his eye, however, he could see that she had chin-length blond hair and most of her face was covered by dark sunglasses. She pulled out a ringing cell phone.

"Hello?…Hey, Mark. No, I just finished checking in, the plane was delayed…Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive from San Francisco to San Diego?…"

The elevator arrived and Lex gestured to the woman to enter first. She did, still talking into her phone.

"No, Mark…I can't right now…I'm worn out from the flight and I look like shit…well that's very nice of you, but it's still true…I need to get cleaned up… I'll just see you there tonight, OK?"

Lex punched the bottom for this floor and looked expectantly at the woman to do the same. At that instant she was slipping off her sunglasses and tucking them and her phone into her purse. A wave of her blond hair fell across her face as she ducked her head to accomplish the task, but the face was unmistakable. His stomach tightened.

"Chloe Sullivan?"

Her head shot up and her green eyes met his, wide with surprise, then recognition.

"Fuck!"

"Nice to see you, too."

The elevator doors slid closed.

End Prologue.

newbatgirl
21st June 2004, 04:16
Chapter One – Day One

"Nice to see you, too."

Lex took advantage of her stunned silence to let his eyes roam more thoroughly over her. He was not disappointed with how the last six years had treated her. With her black skirt, she wore a bright red shirt, cut low and snug enough to show off her figure without being indecent. Her hair was short, as she had always worn it, but fuller, wavier, and cut in a very polished style. From the top of her sleek head to toes of her black pumps, Chloe Sullivan looked like a professional woman, a sharp contrast to the snarky teenager with the funky clothes her remembered from Smallville.

As the elevator began to move, Chloe seemed to snap from her trance. She leaned towards him to punch the '20' on the panel. "Sorry, just a bit surprised to see you." She said, her eyes fixed on the flashing lights above the door rather than him.

"Same here. You look…wonderful." he said honestly.

"Thanks," finally meeting his gaze again. "You look good, too…Lex."

And he did look good. He was clad in black pinstriped Armani with a white shirt and a steel gray tie hanging loosely around his neck. She was glad of the latter, she always thought he looked better without a tie, or at least a bit rumpled. "Don't go there, Sullivan.' she warned herself.

"What are you doing in San Diego?" he asked.

"I’m here for the California Press Association Conference at the Convention Center."

"Of course, and you're with the Chronicle now, right?"

She looked at him sharply and he added, "Clark told me."

"I'm surprised he even knew," muttered Chloe. Lex decided in an instant not to go near that one.

"How long are you in town?" he asked instead, realizing that they were running out of time. Chloe's floor was approaching.

"Until Monday." She had no intention of asking him the same question. There was no way they would…

The elevator chimed and they both looked up at the panel. Floor 20.

Adjusting the strap of her handbag, she gave him a faint smile, "I should go. It was nice seeing you again, Lex." She stepped off the elevator.

Lex waited several seconds before springing off the elevator after her.

"Wait…Chloe…Hang on." He walked briskly to catch-up with her halfway down the hallway. She looked up at him with a confused expression on her face and for a brief second, Lex saw the 17 year-old Chloe in front of him.

Innocent. Inquisitive. Irresistible.

"I was…uh…wondering if you and I could have dinner while we're both in town. I'm here until Monday as well."

"Why? So we can reminisce about all the good times we had?" she said, with her trademark sarcasm and yes, a small amount of bitterness.

"No, Chloe. Just to…spend time with an old friend."

Chloe returned his gaze for long moment. It was tempting. To get to talk to him again, after all this years. With no one around to question their relationship. To question them. She shook her head to drive away the thoughts.

"It's not a good idea."

He caught her arm gently. "Chloe, he's dead."

There was no question who 'he' was.

"I'm aware of that, Lex. But that doesn't mean I want to be reminded of him." She pulled her arm, away and continued walking down the hallway away from him, not looking back.

Room 2025…Later that night…

Chloe flopped down onto her bed and kicked her pumps off with a force that sent them halfway across the room. She had been looking forward to this conference for weeks, even more so after she had been asked to be a panelist at one of the sessions. It was an honor, a feather in her cap, a nod from her colleagues that she was doing something right in her chosen profession. There was no way in hell she could allow a chance meeting with Lex Luthor to flummox her whole trip. She was stronger than that.

‘Yeah, as evidenced by the way you moped through the CAPA cocktail party and dinner just now.’ said her annoying inner voice. She winced as she remembered her parting words to him. The words that had been the cause of her distraction all evening. She hadn’t meant to be so harsh; he had done nothing to deserve it. Now she felt sick at the thought that she had hurt him in the worst way possible – by comparing him to Lionel. Her words had not reflected her feelings, but her fears, and now she regretted both.

She doubted that any of her colleagues at the dinner had noticed her distracted state. Chloe Sullivan had conducted enough interviews with people who were legends in their own minds that she could feign interest in almost all social situations. Not that she missed much tonight anyway. The cocktail party and dinner were designed for the association members to learn each others’ names and practice being nice to one another, even though in reality, very few of them actually liked anyone else. Journalism was not a career in which you formed lifelong friendships with your co-workers. Tomorrow, Chloe decided, when the meetings began and they started talking about actual media issues, things she cared about, it would get better.

But right now, she was mentally exhausted and physically wired. She needed a way to work off the tension in her body so she could get a decent night’s sleep. Rolling over on to her stomach, Chloe pushed the button on her bedside phone to connect to the hotel operator.

“Yes, Miss Sullivan?”

“Hi, I was wondering what time the hotel pool is open till?

“24 hours ma’am. We expanded our hours to accommodate our business travelers.”

“Great and the room service?”

“24 hours as well, ma’am.”

‘Double sweet.’ “Great, thanks.”

“You’re welcome, Miss Sullivan.”

Chloe hung up and stretched, wiggling her fingers and toes. A swim and maybe a snack were just what she needed. She could work off some energy and take her mind off one Lex Luthor.

Fifteen minutes later, Chloe padded out through the sliding glass doors leading to the patio just off the mezzanine level of the hotel. The pool and hot tub were located outside, four levels up from the street, allowing for privacy but still offering guests a stunning view of the bay on one side and the city’s magnificent skyline on the other. ‘I could get used to this,’ she thought. ‘Two bad I’m only here three nights.’

The patio was deserted due to the late hour. She would likely have the pool to herself.

Chloe looked at the pool with a practiced eye as she undid the sash of her short terry robe. It was comparable in size to the one in her gym at home. She wouldn’t need to adjust the number of her laps. Without hesitation, she strode to the deep end and plunged in, not bothering to take time to let her body adjust to the change in temperature. She would be warm from the exertion soon enough.

She immediately began her laps, slowly at first to allow her muscles to get used to movement again, then faster, pushing herself to the level to which she had grown accustomed. Halfway through her set she decided to pause at the deep end to take a breather. She looked up just as her hand touched the wall and saw a male figure standing right above her.

Panicked at the sight, her hand slipped off the wall and she failed to get her kicking in rhythm quickly enough to prevent her head from going under.

She felt the impact of another body hitting the water and then felt a strong pair of arms lifting her to the surface. She sputtered, coughed, and blinked to get the water out of her eyes and mouth. Then she looked at her would-be rescuer. It was Lex. ‘Of course, who else would it be? Damn it!’

“Are you alright? I guess I scared you.” he said.

“You’re damn right you scared me! I didn’t expect to see someone just standing there this time of night.” She retorted, getting her body under control again. Well except for the fact that she was currently being held by a bare-chested Lex Luthor.

“I’m sorry about that. I guess you and I had the same idea…to take advantage of the pool’s late hours?”

She nodded and pushed the wet strands of hair from her face. “Yeah, I’m not sure how much I can do now after you just gave me a heart attack.” She said it with a smile hoping he would realize that she wasn’t really mad.

“Yes, well, you’re young, you’ll recover. I should let you finish your laps.” Lex loosened his hold on her but she stopped him by placing a hand on his bare shoulder.

“Wait, Lex. I’m actually glad I ran into you again. I wanted…to apologize for earlier.”

“There’s no need…”

“Yes, there is,” she interrupted. “I should not have said…what I said. It isn’t true. And it isn’t fair to you. You don’t…remind me of him…”

“But I do remind you of the whole situation, though, right?”

She hesitated. “Yes, but that’s not the same thing. Anyway, I’m sorry for what I said.”

“Chloe, I’m used to it.”

“Not from me.” she said firmly.

He smiled slightly. “Apology accepted. End of story.”

“OK.” she agreed and pulled back a bit, finally realizing how much warmth they had generated by being so close to one another. She pulled away and held on to the wall for support. He ducked under the plastic rope separating the pool lanes and positioned himself to begin his own laps. With a grin he called out to her. “I don’t suppose I could interest you in a little competition?”

“Not likely, Luthor. You’ve got a considerable height advantage on me, not to mention the fact I’ve been swimming for some time now and you’re fresh.”

“Maybe next time then.” He began swimming before she could answer and she was somewhat grateful for the chance to get her bearings before she started swimming again herself.

Within minutes she completed the number of laps she wanted to do tonight, but instead of getting out she flipped over onto her back and just allowed her body to float. For several long moments she just let the momentum of the water carry her as she looked up at the stars in the cloudless sky. Yes, this was certainly better than swimming in her gym. It didn’t matter that she was in a hotel pool in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the country. Right now she felt like the only person in the world.

She heard the splashing nearby and the sounds of wet feet on the patio. Well, not quite the only person.

Lex looked down at her, floating contentedly in the pool. The look on her face was new to him. He had never seen Chloe this relaxed before. It suited her. When he had found her in the pool earlier, he had almost left, not wanting a repeat of their painful earlier conversation. But he had hesitated too long, been too caught up in watching the way she pulled herself through the water. Soon it was too late, she noticed him standing there and nearly drowned herself at the shock.

He had been surprised at her apology and he hoped he hid it well. She was right about him not being used to such harsh words from her, that’s why it had hurt, even though he would never admit it. But Chloe Sullivan had a way of getting him to drop his guard, even when he didn’t want to. She always had. That was just one of the reasons he had thought of her often in the past six years.

He saw as she opened her eyes and found him watching her. She blushed a bit and he thanked God that there were some constants in the universe.

“You plan on staying in there all night?”

“Maybe. It’s not exactly the worst idea I’ve ever had.”

“You’ll turn into a prune and you’re far too young to have that many wrinkles.”

Chloe swam over to the ladder nearest to where he stood. “I’m not as young as I used to be,” she said cryptically, pulling herself up.

The water dripped from her petite form, distracting Lex for a few seconds. He had seen woman in far more provocative swimwear than Chloe’s simple black tankini but none made his heart stop like she did. Maybe it was the way she carried herself, confident and completely unselfconscious. Or maybe it was just that it was her. For the sake of his sanity, he reached back and grabbed another towel and offered it to her.

He turned away from her slightly as she dried her face and head, making no attempt to cover the rest of her. “You done already?” she asked.

He nodded. “I was thinking of testing out the hot tub. Care to join me?”

There was a challenge in his voice and in his eyes. She had turned him down once today and he wanted to see if she would do it again.

Tossing her towel aside she walked past him towards the hot tub. “I’d love too.”

She climbed the steps to the hot tub area and adjusted the timer before slipping under the bubbling water, the contented look on her face once again. Lex followed soon after her, and positioned himself on the opposite side of the tub. There was plenty of room for them both. In fact, the tub could probably hold eight people comfortably.

“So what are you doing in San Diego?” asked Chloe, her eyes skimming over Lex’s muscled arms, which he had spread out on the rim of the tub on either side of him.

“I’m looking into acquiring a company out here.” He noticed the familiar gleam in her eye. “And no, I can’t tell you which one.”

She rolled her eyes. “I know that. I know SEC regulations as well as you do. Of course you could give me a hint.”

“I could…but I won’t.”

“Still as close-mouthed as ever.” She grumbled good-naturedly.

“Yes, I have to be. But perhaps it would make you feel better to know that if anyone could get it out of me, it would be you, Miss Sullivan.”

As he had hoped, his words got her blushing again. “Are we back to that? I thought for sure we had gotten past the Miss Sullivan and Mr. Luthor thing.”

“We have.” He admitted. “Sometimes I like to do it for old time’s sake.”

Another eye roll. He wondered briefly if he should keep count.

“I guess I should be flattered.” She mused. “I bet I could figure it out on my own. Knowing how well Luthor Corp. has been doing lately on its own and how focused you’ve been recently on your core businesses, I’m guessing this acquisition has more to do with opportunity than need.”

Lex looked at her, willing his stone face into place. ‘Damn, she’s good.’

He immediately moved to change the subject slightly. “You’ve been following Luthor Corp?”

“Of course.” She replied. “You’ve been doing well.”

“There’s always room for improvement.” was his automatic reply and she chuckled. Still the perfectionist.

“And I even hear that most of that success is actually from reputable business practices.” she continued with a smirk that could rival his.

“Most? How do you know it’s not ‘all’?”

“Like you said, there’s always room from improvement. Besides, I doubt even six years is long enough for you to clean out all of your father’s ‘activities’ which I’m sure you’re trying to do.”

Lex fell silent for a moment. She had a lot of faith in him, more than most people who saw him all the time. What the hell had he done to deserve that?

“Perhaps. And how about you? How are you doing?”

“You’re the one who knew I was at the Chronicle. You tell me.”

“I knew through Clark.”

“So you said, but I have to think you knew before that that Dad and I settled on the West Coast. How else would you have made sure that your father’s hex was taken off our respective careers?”

It was Lex’s turn to smirk at her. She was two for two. “I only tracked you two until you were settled, I haven’t tracked your activities for five years.” It was the truth. After they escaped the attempt on their lives, he had worked with the FBI to make sure that Gabe and Chloe Sullivan were sent far away from Smallville and Lionel Luthor. After Lionel died, the FBI told them that they could return, but they hadn’t. He hadn’t been surprised, there were probably too many bad memories in that aptly named town for them.

“Well, thank you…I guess. I am doing well, the Chronicle recruited me right out of Berkley. That doesn’t happen often. I had to do my share of crap assignments for a while but it was worth it.”

“I’ll bet, and your father?”

“In Seattle. He’s running a water treatment plant up there. He’s happy as can be, even in the rain. I can’t understand how, I mean, I can handle the fog, but fog *and* rain? No thanks.” She said.

“Chloe, I worked with your father. If he could be happy running a Luthor Corp. crap factory, I’d venture a guess that he could be happy anywhere.”

“That’s true.” She agreed, leaning back against the tub to look up at the sky once again. “You know, if someone told me that lightening was going to strike this very spot right now, I still don’t think I would move. This feels amazing.” She let her legs bob to the surface and she wiggled her toes, only a foot or so from where he sat.

“How about you? Are you happy?” He didn’t know what the hell made him ask that. ‘Shit.’

Chloe looked at him quizzically. Then she appeared to think about it. “Yes, yes I am. You don’t make a lot of friends in journalism but I guess that’s a tradeoff. The ones you do make are good ones.” She was thinking of her editor, Jen, and few others. A very few.

He smiled again. “I’ll let you in on a secret, Chloe.” He said, leaning in, “You don’t make a lot of friends in my line of work either.”

She smiled at the hidden meaning. “You and I should take one of those Dale Carnegie classes together. Learn how to ‘win friends and influence people’?”

Lex laughed. “I doubt it; it’s been my experience that if you do one of those too well, you can’t do the other. Strange, isn’t it?”

“Very strange.”

They sat in comfortable silence for few minutes, taking turns looking out at the bay and watching one another when they thought the other wasn’t looking. Finally, Chloe pulled herself from the water. “I should probably go up. I have to be up early tomorrow.”

Lex nodded and pulled himself out of the tub, offering his hand to help her as well. When she took it, he breathed in sharply at the feeling. Six years, and he could still feel the spark when they touched. ‘Does she feel it too?’ he thought to himself. She was pink again but he couldn’t tell if that was from the hot water or from something else.

They made their way over to their towels and dried off in silence. She pulled her terry robe around herself and he let out an almost audible sigh of relief as he pulled a t-shirt over his head. At least he didn’t have to ride up in the elevator with her in just a swimsuit.

He was very aware of her presence as they made their way back inside. Chloe shivered a bit at the rush of cool conditioned air they encountered.

As they waited for the elevator, Lex heard Chloe take a deep breath before she spoke again. “Lex, does that offer for dinner…?”

“Yes.” he said, before he could stop himself. ‘Anxious much?’ said a voice in his head that sounded a lot like 17-year old Chloe. “I mean, if you’ve changed your mind, that is.”

“I have, I just can’t tomorrow. We have another conference dinner.”

Lex nodded and hid his disappointment.

“I’m free for breakfast, though, if we eat early.” she offered. The elevator arrived and Lex gestured for her to enter first again.

“Is 8 early enough for you?” he asked taking his place in the lift and punching the ‘20’ for her and the ‘PH’ for himself.

“It’s perfect. I know just the place we can go.”

“Where?”

“It’s a surprise.”

“I don’t like surprises.”

She grinned up at him. “That sucks for you, doesn’t it?”

He frowned at her but the frown did not reach his eyes.

“You need to practice that glare a bit, Lex. It’s not nearly scary enough.” she quipped in response.

“I’ll work on it.”

The bell chimed signaling their arrival at her floor.

“See you tomorrow morning, we’ll meet in the lobby?” she said turning to face him. He marveled at just how small she was, standing in her bare feet, with her hair wet around her face.

“Eight o’clock, in the lobby.”

As if reading his mind, she stood up on her tip toes to kiss his cheek and slipped out of the elevator. Lex blinked. That was unexpected. The Chloe he remembered from Smallville had been as into personal space as he was. He wondered what else the years had changed about her.

‘This trip is going to be more interesting than I thought.’ he mused as the elevator doors slid closed.

End Chapter One.

Kit Merlot
21st June 2004, 04:33
NBG, you already know that I love this whole concept. The banter was intelligent with just the right amount of flirting :biggrin:

I know I should be begging for FM update, but I need more--PLEASE?

eurydices falling
21st June 2004, 04:37
Lex, Chloe...lots and lots of history. Sounds promising.

Gimme more now!...um I mean....Update soon :biggrin:

hfce
21st June 2004, 05:26
I love this more please. I love when Chloe is mature and successful against Lex.

Hope :chlexsign2:

campbti
21st June 2004, 07:21
I loved it. Scary if this is what you crank out when you aren't really trying. I love their conversation, so like old friends would be, easy going, not too forward. I can't wait for an update. And for Family Matters too.

GREAT WORK!!! :chlexsign1:

ColumbiaBlue
21st June 2004, 09:04
A new NBG story!!! Yaaaaay!!! :yay2: :yay2: :yay2: I love it so far and I can't wait for more!!!

~Manda

Blackberry
21st June 2004, 09:36
:D oooooh this is an awesome beginning!!! :)

BB

autumngold
21st June 2004, 10:30
I'm really enjoying this new story!! Thank you for making Chloe be so self confident!! I could really picture her like this in six years!! And Lex of course is yummy!! :biggrin: Can't wait for more!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

asharnanae
21st June 2004, 18:06
:biggrin: Damn Fine!!!! Damn fine indeed!!! :chlexsign1:

sylvia
22nd June 2004, 13:55
Excellent start. The conversations are insightful and their reactions to each other are believable without being predictable. Also like the idea of the two of them in the pool at night... oh and by the way, if you plan to move this to the NC-17 section as the story progresses I wouldn't be opposed to that ;) The writing flows naturally and the plot sounds like it will be a good read too. Hope to see more soon!

Kendrix03
22nd June 2004, 19:03
I'm really enjoying this story. I like that it in the future. It's given them time to reflect and mature. They're away from Smallville, so the story can focus soley on them. The dialogue is great, not too heavy, just the right combination of banter and insight. Can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter.

Sab_Luthor
22nd June 2004, 19:38
awwwwwwww that a great begin more please

sydsvaughn
23rd June 2004, 01:42
You know, this story will forever more go down in my head with the tune of "Nightswimming." It's all I could hear as I read... and did I mention I LOVE what I read.. and can't wait to read more? :biggrin:

SaraC

autumngold
25th June 2004, 06:22
I just wanted to beg you for an update to this excellent story!! :worship2: Please!! I can't wait for more!! :puppyeyes: :chlexsign4: :puppyeyes:

sara_noele
25th June 2004, 13:53
Great beginning! :yay: Please come back and update soon!

newbatgirl
26th June 2004, 00:14
See disclaimers in part one.

A/N: You might have noticed that this shifts POV quite a bit. I’m trying something new. You also might have noticed that this f--ker is getting pretty long. I’m trying to contain the muses but it ain’t working. I’m going to try to keep this to five parts but no promises. Thanks to Kit Merlot for the read through.

Also thanks to SaraC for reassuring me that someone else here knows of this tune. I don’t feel quite so out of it now. Thank you all so much for all the lovely FB. I bitch sometimes, but I do like this story and I am very happy that you guys are enjoying it. Still mulling over the requests for making this NC-17. I’m a virgin when it comes to writing smut so I need to think about it some more. We’ll see.

Also still needy on the FB front, so keep it coming.

Chapter Two – Day Two

Hotel lobby…the following morning…

Chloe cradled her cell phone under her ear as she stole a glance towards the elevators one more time. Lex was not late. That was probably against some code of his. No, she was early. She had come down to lobby early to get a clear signal on her phone to call her father. They spoke several mornings each week, before they each went to work. It was ritual she made sure she kept up, even when she was away on a story. Chloe had come close to losing her father before, taking him for granted was just not in the realm of possibility now.

“It’s a beautiful hotel, I wish you could see it, Dad…Yeah, I’m just heading out to breakfast now, then over to the Convention Center…No, I’ll walk, it’s not far…I will.” She considered telling him about Lex but quickly decided against it. There was a high probability that she and Lex wouldn't see each other again after breakfast, so what would be the point?

She shifted in the antique chair to face the plate windows instead of the elevator bank. "It's 75 and sunny here. Let me guess…it's cloudy and rainy there?...Big shock….I don't know how you do it…I know, I know…alright, I will…I love you, too. Bye." She pressed the button to end the call and looked up. Lex was standing over her. He had snuck up on her. Again. 'Figures.'

Lex stepped out of the elevator and immediately caught sight of Chloe sitting on one of the chairs in the lobby, once again talking into her cell phone. She was almost as bad as he was with that thing. But, he mused, Chloe never liked to be far away from any source of information. She was probably talking to her editor or following up on a lead, like always.

He stepped closer to her, and caught the endearment and frowned a bit. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop on a personal call…with…? Before he could stop himself, he found himself hoping it was her father. She hadn't mentioned being with anyone, not that she should have…they had only swam and chatted in the hot tub. 'Get a grip, Luthor, you don't have time to investigate Chloe Sullivan's love life, you’re here to work.' He had himself back under something resembling control when she ended her call and looked up, clearly surprised to see him.

"You just love sneaking up on me, don't you?" she grumbled when she recovered.

"I had no intention of scaring you, is it my fault that you're not as aware of your surroundings as you should be?" Casually, almost too much so, he added, "Important call?"

"Yes, but I'm done now." She slipped the phone in her bag and stood up. "You ready?"

"And good morning to you, too."

First eye roll of the day. "Good morning, Lex. Are you ready? Because I, for one, have a schedule to stick to today."

"My driver is outside." He replied, leading her towards the door. She looked questioningly at him. "The company I'm working with provided a car for me as a courtesy."

They stepped out into the bright glare of sunlight and, sure enough, a sleek black limousine was waiting at the curb, complete with black suited driver.
"Where to, sir?" asked the driver, opening the door.

"What's your name?" she asked the driver.

"Ronald, ma'am."

"Well, Ronald, we won't be needing the car," she reached over and plucked Lex's briefcase from his hand "or *this*, for a little while. Why don't you chill out until he gets back? Here, you can read my paper." Chloe tossed Lex's briefcase into the back seat, and dropped her newspaper into Ronald's hands. She glanced back at the bemused expression on Lex's face and smiled, "We're walking, Mr. Luthor. Follow me."

Lex smirked at the driver for a beat before following Chloe, who was walking towards the Embarcadero, the promenade that ran along the bay.

For the second time in two days, he had to walk briskly to catch her. Lex was not used to people walking away from him. Correction, he was not used to people walking away from him and expecting him to follow.

By the time he reached her, she had slipped on her sunglasses and was watching the gulls skip across the water. Though it was still early, there were quite a few people on the Embarcadero. Tourists sight-seeing, natives jogging and biking, and shopkeepers opening up for the day.

“How many times have you been here?” he asked her, slipping his own shades on.

“Three or four. My roommate in college was from the area. I came down with her on breaks and she would show me around.” She cast a sidelong glance at him and smiled when she saw the sunlight glinting off his head. “I certainly hope you’re wearing sunscreen, the sun here is intense. That’s the first thing she taught me.”

“SPF 45.”

“That should do.”

“I suppose asking you where we’re going would be a waste of time?”

“You catch on quick.”

“Well, how about telling me about this busy day of yours that you’re late for keeping up with?”

“Why should I? Are you going to tell me about yours?”

“No, but there are laws against insider trading preventing me from doing that. Nothing’s stopping you.”

“Fair point, but I’m not sure you’d really care to know what journalists talk about when they’re away from everybody else.”

‘Maybe I do.”

Chloe stopped walking and turned to face him.

“Really?”

“Really.”

Chloe bit her lower lip, a habit he recognized, and leaned forward a bit. In a hushed voice she said, “If you must know, we make up naughty limericks about politicians, celebrities and such. Stop me if you’ve heard this one: There once was a bald billionaire from Kansas…”

Lex smirked and started walking again, effectively, and thankfully, cutting off her words. “Still love being a smartass, don’t you, Miss Sullivan? I’m surprised that mouth of yours hasn’t gotten you into trouble.”

“Not lately, although you’ll never know, you didn’t let me finish my limerick,” she retorted as she walked past him.

She seemed to have a specific destination in mind. She strolled over to one of the small freestanding shops that lined the walkway. A line of people stood waiting and several more people were standing nearby or sitting and eating at the small tables surrounding it. There was the smell of something spicy and warm in the air. Lex raised an eyebrow when Chloe got in the line.

He followed stood next to her. “Here?”

“Here.” She confirmed and turned to face him. Looking him up and down, she shook her head. “Come here.”

“What?”

“Just stand still.” Chloe reached up behind his tie and began unbuttoning the second button from the top, then the third. ‘What the hell---?’ thought Lex. He moved to still her hands but she waved them off.

“Hello? What are you doing?”

“Saving you the trouble of having to go back to the hotel to replace this lovely, but likely overpriced, tie.” Working quickly, she tucked the silky scrap of fabric into his shirt and smoothed her hand down over the button placket of his shirt. Lex inhaled sharply, then immediately hoped Chloe hadn’t noticed his reaction.

“There, that should be OK.” She looked up him, her eyes barely visible through the dark lenses of her glasses. She gestured to the other businessmen milling about. They all had their ties similarly tucked in or tossed over their shoulders.

“These can get kinda messy. It helps to take precautions.”

“And ‘these’ are?”

“You’ll see.”

Lex looked up at the top of the building hoping to see some kind of marker indicating what Chloe was intending to do to him. No sign. ‘Figures.’

Chloe patted his chest once more and then gave him a light shove. “Be a dear and find us someplace to sit.”

He looked at her blankly. “Excuse me?”

“Look alive, Luthor! Go find us someplace to sit. I’ll take care of this,” she replied, trying very hard not to laugh at his perplexed state as he obeyed her request.

He looked less sure of himself than she had ever remembered seeing him look, which was exactly the point. If she simply wanted to have breakfast with him, they could have chatted over perfectly poached eggs in the hotel restaurant, but she didn’t want that. A person that was too comfortable tended to talk about comfortable things. Throw them off, even just a little and they tended to drop their guard, often without realizing it. Chloe hadn’t learned that in journalism school. It wasn’t something you could put in a textbook.

Of course, if she was unnerving him, he was doing the same to her. ‘No one should look that sexy at 8 in the morning,’ she decided. ‘Even if their name was Luthor and they had all he money in the world to buy custom-made suits…and they smelled terrific. Shit.’ Still, she was pleased with herself for her performance with his tie. She could have simply tossed it over his shoulder as most of the men did but then she wouldn’t have had an excuse to unbutton his shirt. Hell, this was Lex Luthor, who knew when she’d have a chance again? If ever. Take your chances when you can. That was her motto…now.

Soon it was her turn at the counter. She held up two fingers and nodded at the counterperson, the same sweet, middle-aged Mexican woman who had waited on her before.

Within minutes, she handed Chloe her order, still warm, and two steaming cups. ‘Perfect.’

Balancing everything on a cardboard tray, Chloe made her way through the small crowd of hungry people and found Lex sting at a table.

“Here we are.” She sang as she sank into the empty chair next to him. Lex cocked his head at the steaming fried dough concoctions on the tray. “What are *those*?”

“*Those* are the best churros to be had in the entire city of San Diego. If we want better ones, we’d have to go down to Mexican border but I just don’t have time today. Bummer.” She shoved his share of the breakfast towards him and he picked it up and examined it. “It looks kind of like a doughnut…that’s been run over by a semi.”

Chloe took a bite of hers and giggled at him. “That’s because it is a doughnut, silly. Sort of. Think of them as what doughnuts could be, if our bland American tastes didn’t ruin them. Go ahead, try it.”

Lex frowned. “Is there any way to do this without getting it all over me?”

“Nope, not really.” ‘Not that I’d tell you anyway.’ She added to herself, seeing Lex trying in vain to eat a churro without getting covered in cinnamon and sugar was too priceless to pass up.

He finally took a bite. And another. And another. Chloe smiled to herself. ‘That was too easy.’

Halfway though, he paused. “Thanks for the tip about the tie.” He was trying and failing to get the sugar off his fingers.

“Don’t mention it.”

“How are you managing to stay relatively clean?”

“Practice.”

“So there is a trick to this?”

“Yes, but we don’t tell it to rookies. Getting covered in sugar your first time is part of the experience. Try the coffee.”

This time he didn’t hesitate. “Oh my God.”

“Good, isn’t it?”

“Oh, my GOD!”

“That was my reaction, too. I mean, I’ve had good coffee before…” she trailed off as she took a sip of her own.

“What is *in* this?” he wanted to know.

“What’s it taste like?”

“Cinnamon…something else…I can’t…”

“I think it has some kind of special sugar you can only get in Mexico, plus some other stuff. It’s called café de olla, by the way.” Chloe shifted a bit closer so he could hear her better. “The first time Carmen brought me here, I begged the lady behind the counter to tell me what she put in it.”

“What did she say?”

“Many, many good things.”

“And you settled for that?”

Chloe shrugged. “Yeah, I did. I can’t imagine the real answer could be any better than that. Can you?”

Lex took another sip of the heavenly coffee and gave what she recognized as one his rare genuine smiles. “No, I guess it can’t.”

They finished eating in comfortable silence and sipped their coffee as they looked out over the water.

“So you’ve fed me Mexican junk food and the best coffee I have ever had, do you plan on telling me about your busy day?” he asked a few minutes later.

“Mostly seminars on media issues, trends, roundtables, that sort of thing. Some of it very snooze-worthy, some of it interesting. This afternoon, though, I’ve been asked to be a panelist on a new seminar they’re running for journalism students from the nearly universities.”

“Really, what about?”

“It’s called ‘Getting your first J-Job and Keeping It.’ It’s essentially a bunch of journalists yammering about breaking into the business. I’ll be the youngest one there.”

Even partially hidden behind his sunglasses, she could see his eyebrows rise. “Impressive. How do you feel about that?”

“A little floored. Honored, of course. Nervous, nevertheless. I’m only a couple years older than some of those students. I guess part of me is worried that they’ll see me like I was back in Smallville...Obsessive…”

“Driven,” countered Lex.

“Annoying…”

“Dedicated.”

“Naïve.”

“Honest.”

“Flatterer.” she muttered through her blushing grin. “I think you’re the only person who knew me in Smallville, other than my dad, who would say those things.”

“I doubt that, Chloe. What about your friends?”

She sighed, heavily. “Maybe Pete…but that’s it.”

“Clark?”

“Clark and I aren’t friends anymore, Lex.”

“But you’ve kept in touch…I assumed he’d visited you when he did his little ‘finding himself’ thing when he took that year off before starting college.”

“He didn’t. And we’ve barely kept in touch, and even then, only as acquaintances. We don’t really talk. The occasional generic email. Christmas cards. That’s it. It’s better this way.”

“Why?”

She looked up, startled at his inquiry. ‘I’d think it was obvious.’ “We can’t be friends anymore, Lex, if we ever really were. For a friendship to work, there needs to be trust and we both blew that. Sky high. So to speak.”

Lex only nodded.

“What about you, you’ve stayed in touch with him, right?”

“Somewhat, though much less since I left Smallville. I didn’t hear from him that whole year and then he just showed up at Metropolis U. He pops in now and then to chat but you can never pin him down. He’s just…”

“Clark.”

“Right.”

“Pete tells me he’s doing the whole journalism thing, too.”

“Yes, he is.”

“Good for him….Hope he’s mastered the spell check by now.”

Lex smiled at her disgruntled muttering.

Chloe snuck a look at her watch and cursed. “As much as I would love to sit here and drink this coffee all day with you, Lex, I really have to go.” ‘Shit, what the hell did I just say?’

He rose with her and helped her collect their empty paper items. “I should as well. I really enjoyed this, I’ll probably be on a sugar high all day but…this was good. Can I offer you a ride somewhere?” She shook her head, and pointed to the sprawling white building further down the Embarcadero. “No, the Convention Center’s right over there. I can walk.” Chloe tossed their trash in a nearby basket and turned back to face him. Smirking slightly, she reached up and pulled his tie out again and re-buttoned his shirt. “There, no clumps of sugar.”

Lex reached up with his own hand and brushed his thumb across her cheek. “Except for right here.” He picked up few grains of cinnamon sugar, and drew his thumb to his lips, his eyes locked with hers the whole time.

‘Breathe, Chloe, Breathe.’ “Hey…maybe I was saving that for later!” ‘Good, go for humor. Do NOT focus on his tongue. Do NOT…Shit!’

“Too bad, maybe next time.” He leaned over and kissed her check exactly where the sugar had been.
“It was nice seeing you again, Chloe.”

When he pulled back slightly, Chloe gave him a devilish grin of her own. “It was nice seeing you again, too. Lex.” She then ran her index finger high across his bare forehead. “Don’t forget to reapply every two hours. Wouldn’t want you to burn.” And she stepped away, quickly, before he could respond. She wanted very badly to look back and see the look on his face but she didn’t dare. Instead, she settled for the one that sprung to her mind and that image kept a smile on her face for most of the day.

Hotel lobby…later that evening…

As he walked into the hotel lobby later that night, Lex Luthor was high. Higher than he had been since he stopped relying on ‘chemical enhancement’ several years ago. Maybe it was the large amount of sugar and caffeine he had ingested that morning. Maybe it was the fact that his acquisition meetings with CalChip had gone exceptionally well. Or maybe it was the fact that he had been unable to get Chloe Sullivan’s smile out of his head for most of the day. ‘Could be a combination of the three,’ he thought to himself. His mind had also been working on ways to see her again before he left. He alternated between thinking it was a great idea to thinking it would be a colossal mistake.

They lived halfway across the country from one another. The both had demanding careers. They couldn’t start a… ‘A what, Luthor? A friendship? Something more?’ It was a good question, but one he couldn’t answer. At least not without his stomach clenching into knots.

Still deep in thought, he headed towards the front desk to collect the papers he knew his office had overnighted to him. Was it wise to allow himself to become as fascinated with Chloe Sullivan as he had secretly been in Smallville in the final months before all hell broke loose? Many of the obstacles that existed then were gone now. But they were replaced with others. Distance, of course. Time. And there was the little matter of him not knowing if Chloe saw him as a potential romantic interest. He cringed at his mind’s choice of words. ‘Potential romantic interest? Could you *be* any colder? Could you really expect someone as passionate as Chloe to…’

His musings were interrupted by the distinctive voice of the subject of his thoughts echoing through the lobby. He turned around to see a very annoyed looking Chloe Sullivan striding through the lobby towards the elevator…being trailed by a tall, dark-haired man. Despite his height advantage, the man seemed to be having some difficulty in keeping up with her. Lex studied Chloe’s pursuer, he was handsome and well-dressed, more lanky than muscular and he had thick, wavy hair that was just a shade too long than was the norm in business world. Lex’s immediate impression was ‘investment banker, fussed with wannabe rock star.’

“What part of ‘I don’t want to talk about this anymore’ is not getting through that thick skull of yours, Mark?” Lex heard her say.

“Chloe, hon, I’ve apologized half a dozen times already. Can we just talk about this rationally?” the man replied.

Lex blinked. ‘Hon?’

“Don’t call me that!” she ordered as she arrived at the elevator bank and stabbed at the ‘UP’ button.

‘Well that’s a good sign.’

“Chloe, I know I asked you the wrong way, but that doesn’t change what I asked. Are you going to say yes?”

‘OK, now that’s *not* a good sign.’ Lex edged closer to the couple, partially hidden by one of the lobby’s marble pillars. His mind was racing, she had called the man ‘Mark’. He vaguely remembered that when they met in the elevator yesterday, she had also been talking to a Mark on her cell. Then there was the decidedly personal call he had overheard this morning. ‘SHIT!’

“You asked me in front of a room full of people -- people we *work* with, Mark! Are you insane?” she crossed her arms over he chest and tapped her foot as the numbers on the elevator blinked slowly. “Did you honestly think doing that would make me say yes?”

“No…well, maybe…I don’t know. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I certainly didn’t think you’d get this upset. I thought this was what you wanted!”

“I really don’t know that. Maybe I’m happy where I am. Did that occur to you when you dropped this on me in front of everyone at the CAPA dinner! No, of course not!”

The elevator arrived and Chloe stomped in. To Lex’s increasing annoyance, ‘Mark’ followed.

“Can we just talk about this? It’s not as if you have to decide right now.” He placed his hand on Chloe’s back and Lex felt his fists clench, almost of their own volition. “At least allow me to make my case. Please, Chlo?”

The elevator doors slid closed so Lex never got to hear Chloe’s answer.

Lex leaned back against the pillar as he tried to process the scene he had just witnessed…and reconcile it with the time he had spent with Chloe over the last two days. He hadn’t seen her in a long time, yes, but he got the distinct feeling that Chloe had been flirting with him at times, and that she had been as affected by being near him as he had been by her. The apology, the kiss, breakfast this morning, had he been reading too much into them?

The conversation he just overhead implied that Chloe was not only with someone, but they were serious. Lex sighed and pushed himself off the pillar and straightened his back. ‘Better to find out know before you made even more of a fool of yourself.’ He walked over to the elevator and stabbed the ’UP’ button, chiding himself for getting too caught up in the past, infatuated with a memory. He’d be on a plane headed back to Metropolis soon enough.

Patio…later that evening…

Chloe sat at the edge of the pool. She alternately gazed out at the moonlit bay and then absently down at her pale legs as they dangled in the water.

She heard movement behind her and, looked, not behind her, but to her left, at the shadow that the person made. Unmistakable.

“Hey, Lex.”

“How’d you know it was me?” he asked. His voiced sounded a bit flat, which prompted her to turn around. He was slightly turned away from her, pulling off the t-shirt he wore over his swim trucks.

“You cast a pretty distinctive shadow and I’m not speaking metaphorically, either.”

Lex smirked at her and visibly hesitated before crouching down beside her. “I guess this is becoming a habit of ours…the swimming. Something the matter with the water?” he inquired, noticing that with the exception of her legs, she was still dry.

Chloe shrugged. “Just haven’t gotten around to diving in yet. Been sitting here enjoying the scenery.”

He looked at her downcast gaze. “The scenery’s over there.”

“You don’t say.”

Lex sat down and mimicked her position, dropping his own legs into the water. “Something the matter?”

“Long day.”

“Ah.” Chloe could tell he wasn’t sure whether he should ask her a specific question or stay silent so she made the decision for him.

“I just spent the last two hours on the phone trying to convince my editor that I wasn’t quitting the Chronicle.”

“Why would you need to do that?”

“Because my bonehead friend Mark decided to offer me a job at his magazine…in front of everyone at the conference dinner.” Chloe muttered, then looked up to see his reaction. He looked genuinely surprised, and even a little…relieved?

“He offered you a job?” he breathed.

“In front of everyone, and the jackass expected me to just say yes right then and there, as if he was God or something. By the time I got back to my room, someone had already told my editor about it and she was pissed. She thought I was trying to play hardball with her. It took me *forever* to calm her down.”

“He offered you a job,” repeated Lex.

Chloe cocked an eyebrow at him. “Ye-ah, we covered that part. Are you OK?”

“But…why would he offer you a job?” he asked, ignoring her question.

“Gee, thanks.”

“That’s not what I meant…why would he do it like that?”

“Because he’s loves attention. He always did. He knew it would cause a stir. And I guess he thought I wouldn’t say no in front of everybody.”

“You sound like you know him pretty well.”

Chloe felt herself color a bit. “Sort of. He used to work at the Chronicle. He was there when I interned and for a while after I got hired. We had a…thing, briefly. It was over before it really started but we’ve stayed friends. Anyway, he just got a job as an associate editor at a news magazine. He’s looking for writers to make the move with him and he asked me.”

“Did you really tell him no? It sounds like a great opportunity for you.”

“It is and it isn’t. It’s complicated. I told him I’d at least think about it but I’m not sure it’s the right move for me. I wasn’t lying last night when I said I was happy where I am.”

“I didn’t think you were…lying, that is. Is it because of the history with him, is that why you don’t want to take the job?”

Chloe shook her head. “Nah, we’re cool with that. He’s a big flirt but we know where we stand on that, we weren’t a good match. No, this is more about me.” She finished cryptically, hoping that Lex would get the hint that she wasn’t ready to talk about the underlying reasons.

He seemed to. “It looks like you have some thinking to do.”

And she shrugged again, kicking up a small wave of water droplets. “I do, thanks for listening, though.”

“Anytime…now, being that we’re both here and we both haven’t started swimming yet, what do you say to a little competition?” Lex said, smirking madly. Chloe noticed that he seemed in much better spirits than when he first arrived.

“Define ‘competition.’”

“Competition, from the Latin competere meaning ‘an occasion on which a winner is selected from among two or more contestants for a profit or prize.’”

“You smartass, that’s not what I meant and you know it! Although I am not at all surprised that you know that off the top your head.”

“Sorry, couldn’t help it. I was thinking of a race. What do you say, 10 laps? I’ll even let you get a head start to make up the height advantage. Or I could do 11 or 12 to your 10…”

“Not on your life. We both do 10 or we don’t do it at all. And no head starts.” Chloe swiveled and jumped down into the pool to punctuate her statement. They were closer to the shallow end so the water only came up to her ribcage.

He repeated her action, keeping his hand anchored to the wall. “Chloe, it’s not really a fair match that way…”

“I know that, maybe I just want to see how close I can come to kicking your rich boy ass fair and square. And who knows? I may surprise you.”

“Chloe, you do that pretty well without kicking my ‘rich boy ass.’” Lex replied, as he maneuvered past to her to get in one of the other lanes. Chloe blinked at his words and took a deep breath to calm her racing heart. She was standing in very cool water in her swimsuit and Lex Luthor was making her body heat up just by his mere presence. She swam to the end of her lane and saw Lex do the same.

“Ready?” he called out to her.

“Wait, what are we competing for?”

Lex shrugged his bare, muscled shoulders. “Let’s just say ‘bragging rights’…until we think of something better.”

Chloe rolled her eyes at his evil grin. “Deal.”

“Ready?”

“GO!”

For the next several minutes, the only things Chloe was aware of were the rushing and splashing sounds in her ears, the feel of the water around her limbs and the occasional roughness of the pool walls gently scraping her hand as she counted off each lap. She felt the familiar tingling in her lungs as she held her breath, and then rose up thorough the surface to gulp more air. Swimming was the only exercise she could tolerate on a regular basis. Back home she walked, rode her bike occasionally, even worked out with weights every now and then. But nothing was like swimming.

She touched the wall a final time and pulled herself up to hang onto it, and looked over to see Lex next to her in his lane, breathing heavily but smiling nonetheless. ‘Looks like I lost.’

Lex pushed himself through the water at his normal spend, knowing very well that Chloe would kick his ass for real if she thought he had let her win. Pretty soon he was lost in the feeling of the water pushing back against his body. He felt weightless, not just because he was swimming, but because he had been mistaken about the conversation he overheard earlier. He was never so happy to be wrong in his life. Now he just had to decide what he was going to do about it.

He gripped the wall after his tenth lap and looked around for Chloe. She was at the other end of the pool, a little more than one lap behind. ‘Impressive.’ He used the extra time to catch his breath and watch her move through the water.

When she reached the end and looked over at him, he sent her a sheepish smirk.

“How much did you beat me by?”

“About a lap, that’s pretty impressive considering the height and upper body strength difference. You’re a good swimmer.”
She splashed water at him. “I should have done better considering you had the extra weight of your ego to drag.”

He splashed her back. “Sore loser.”

“Whatever.” Chloe let go of the wall, flipped over on her back and began to drift, as she had done the night before. “So you won. What’s your prize?”

“Let me take you to dinner tomorrow night. Your choice.”

“Are you sure? We could end up eating churros again.”

“I don’t mind, I wouldn’t turn down more of that coffee.”

“No, I have a better place in mind.”

“So that’s a ‘yes’?”

“Of course it’s a ‘yes’, you think I’m going to pass when a billionaire wants to buy me dinner?”

Chloe had drifted towards the ladder by then and she reached out to anchor herself to it. “You getting out anytime soon?”

Lex nodded. “I’m kind of winded.”

“Ten laps are all it takes to wipe out Lex Luthor? I’m so disappointed,” she teased

Lex braced his hands on the side of the pool and pulled himself up from right where his was. He didn’t trust himself to get too close to Chloe right then, at least not until she thoroughly caught her breath and her chest stopped heaving. It was more than a little distracting.

“I’ve had a long day and besides, you’ve got youth on your side.”

“That’s the third crack you’ve made about my age, Luthor,” observed Chloe as she climbed the ladder. “I’m beginning to think you still think of me as a teenage reporter.”

Lex had his back to her as he dried his face with a towel. “I assure you that is not case, Chloe," he said, but the towel muffled his voice.

“Pardon?”

He turned to face her. “I said, I assure you that is not the case. I’ve always been aware of exactly how old you are.”

He could see the movement in Chloe’s throat as she swallowed. “Is that right?” She reached for a towel of her own. “Why is that?”

He waited until he had her full attention before he answered. He had decided to be honest with her and he wanted to make sure his words had their intended impact. “Let’s just say that reminding myself that you were 17…kept me out of trouble when we were back in Smallville.”

Though she tried to contain her reaction, Lex could see that he had unnerved her by his admission. She blushed immediately…all over. The sight of her pale skin turning pink right before his eyes made his own heart beat faster… sending blood rushing to various places in his body

She turned slightly away from him and continued to rub the towel over her skin. “It’s a good thing that *one* of us was thinking clearly back then,” she replied shakily.

A smile spread slowly across his face as her words sunk in. She noticed immediately. “Stop looking so smug, Luthor.”

“Who, me? Smug?”

She threw her towel at his head, relieving some of the tension that had settled over them.

When he pulled the damp cloth from his face, he found her slipping into her robe. She sent him an apologetic look. “Sorry. I’m going to skip the hot tub tonight. I’ve got an early conference breakfast in the morning.”

Lex suspected that her decision had more to do with the discussion they had just been having and he couldn’t blame her for being a little skittish. He certainly didn’t trust himself in a hot tub with Chloe Sullivan, not until they both knew what they were getting themselves into, that is.

“You’re probably right; I have an early meeting too.”

She moved toward the patio doors and he followed, pulling his shirt back over his head.

“How’s your acquisition going?”

“As expected.”

“Jackass.”

They were both laughing when the elevator arrived, more from giddiness than anything else. They stepped in and Lex pressed the buttons for their floors

“I guess it would be waste of time for me to ask where we’re going to dinner.”

“As much of a waste of time as it was for ask me about that company you are acquiring.”

“Now who’s being difficult?” He stepped closer to her until they were face to face. “Maybe I just don’t want you to go to jail because of me."

“That’s very sweet of you, and for the record, I doubt the sheriff of Smallville would have dragged you off to jail because of *me*.” Lex could feel her breath on his face.

“Don’t be so sure. She really had it in for me. But maybe it would have been worth it.” He rested his hands at her waist and caught her lips with his own. He heard Chloe sigh and felt her palms on his chest.
The kiss wasn’t very deep or intense. It was soft, sweet and positively electric. It was at once an acknowledgement of what they already felt and a promise for things yet to come.

However, as Lex felt the places where their damp bodies touched grow warm from the contact, he felt the distinct urge to press her against the wall and explore her mouth and possibly the rest of her more thoroughly. From her soft moans, he doubted she would argue.

The elevator chimed signaling that they had arrived at her floor. They pulled apart reluctantly.

Lex licked his lips. “So…should we say tomorrow night, seven o’clock?”

“I’ll meet you in the lobby.”

“Sleep well.”

Chloe nodded and squeezed his hand once before releasing it and disappearing down the hallway. Lex fought the urge to follow her and leaned against the back wall of the lift with a sigh. A smile spread across his face as the elevator doors slid closed.

End Chapter Two.

hfce
26th June 2004, 03:34
AWWww that was like a breath of fresh air. I loved the banter and the teasing and the growing closeness between these two. Keep up the great work . :biggrin:

Kit Merlot
26th June 2004, 04:17
NBG, I love this story! From the churros, to the swim competition to the kiss--EXCELLENT!

You can make this story as long as you like :biggrin:

asharnanae
26th June 2004, 04:28
:biggrin: GAH........ NOW THATS WHAT I CALL CHLEX!!!!!!!!!

Gimme more baby!! MORE! :blinkkiss: :worship2:

Blackberry
26th June 2004, 04:47
:wub: times a million!

:)

autumngold
26th June 2004, 06:37
I couldn't have loved your last chapter more!! It was perfect!! The banter, the breakfast, jealous Lex, the race, etc!! Of course the smoochies were the best thing of all!! Please, please update soon!! I can't wait to read more!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

tigroon
26th June 2004, 11:02
Wow !!! more !!! please ??? soon ???

mgabri
26th June 2004, 16:41
Awwwww that was the best!!! Love every bit of it.
Don't keep us waiting too long ;)

Gabs :wub:

sexi_angel_babee
27th June 2004, 01:22
oooooh baby... this is goooood... i think all we need is a little bit of lovin between the two heheh.. :chlexsign1:

sylvia
27th June 2004, 06:34
Chloe bit her lower lip, a habit he recognized, and leaned forward a bit. In a hushed voice she said, “If you must know, we make up naughty limericks about politicians, celebrities and such. Stop me if you’ve heard this one: There once was a bald billionaire from Kansas…”

Awesome, awesome banter! I love the way their relationship is turning out, slow but sweet. Update soon!

ColumbiaBlue
27th June 2004, 07:31
‘Potential romantic interest? Could you *be* any colder?
Could Lex *be* anymore like Chandler from Friends here? That's whp he totally reminded me of. LOL

*sigh*

I love this. I want more. Lots more. Keep up the great work!!

~Manda

campbti
27th June 2004, 07:42
Loved it!!!! The banter and dialog are just great. I love the bit with the tie. Yeah who could resist that. I liked them admitting what they felt in Smallville at the end. Can't wait to see where this goes.

GREAT work. :worship2:

:chlexsign4:

hickchick
27th June 2004, 20:33
wow! this story is wonderful so far!

I love REM, and Nightswimming is one of my fav songs on their "Best Of" CD.

i can't wait to read the next ch. update soon! :)

AlabamaWorley
28th June 2004, 21:58
I love this! It makes my tummy all warm and tingly :chlexsign3:

sara_noele
29th June 2004, 17:42
Love your story!

Still wonder what happened between Chloe and the other, but maybe your gonna solve that mysterie.

LarkLuthor
1st July 2004, 18:24
Wonderful! Wonderful! MORE! MORE! MORE! (see what happens when a fanfic fiend gets isn't able to be online for too long? absolute demanding.)

Lark

autumngold
1st July 2004, 18:48
Can't wait for your next chapter!! Please come back soon!! :chlexsign3:

newbatgirl
2nd July 2004, 23:18
See disclaimers and notes in part one.

A/N: I’m not a smut writer but I did my best here. It’s not NC-17, at least not according to the definition I’ve been using. I’d say strong R but, of course, the mods have final say. If something’s over the line, please tell me so I know for the future. Apologies for the length but I made a deal with my muses that I wasn’t going to drag this out. So what do they do? They give me ‘War and Peace’ chapters. Crap. Please let me and my maniacal muses know what you think. Only one more part to go after this.

Chapter Three

Hotel lobby…following evening…

Chloe stepped out of the elevator and immediately scanned the lobby for Lex. She was a few minutes early again, she wasn’t about to play the ‘make him wait’ game. She and Lex were beyond that. At least she hoped they were. She spotted him over by one of the antique end tables, talking into his cell phone. He looked a bit annoyed. Chloe smiled when he realized that he wasn’t paying attention to her. ‘Perfect.’

Being careful to minimize the sounds her high-heeled sandals made on the floor, she snuck up behind him as he spoke into the phone.

“…made it pretty clear that I was not to be disturbed this evening…I realize that, but that was something you could have handled, that *is* what I pay you for…and if you’d like me to continue to do so I suggest that you exercise some judgment before you disturb me about something like this again, are we clear?...I thought so.” He forcefully pressed the ‘End’ button with his thumb and slipped the phone back into his jacket.

Chloe leaned forward to speak directly into his ear.

“Is good help that hard to find, even for a Luthor?” She had to stop herself from laughing as he hissed and started slightly when he felt her breath on his neck. He recovered quickly.

When he turned to face her, she saw that he was holding a single white rose.

“I suppose that was your revenge for me sneaking up on you over the past two days.”

“Maybe. Everything OK?”

“It is now. You look…amazing.” He looked her from head to toe and Chloe congratulated herself for packing her favorite slinky black dress ‘just in case.’ The material was silky smooth and the hemline ended just above her knees, with a generous slit on the right thigh. It was sleeveless and the front neckline was modest but what the front lacked, the back more than made up for. Or perhaps it was the other way around. The dress fastened behind her neck but left her back completely bare to her waist. Chloe could tell that he hadn’t noticed that yet.

“Thank you, you look good, too. I like your shirt. I cannot fathom why mankind hasn’t evolved past neckties.” Lex wore a black suit with a deep blue collarless shirt. No tie.

“They are pretty useless when you think about it.” Lex admitted as he handed her the rose.

She took it without comment and slipped her hand in his. “Ready?”

“Yes…my car’s….”

Chloe heard his words trail off and she knew why. She had begun to lead him towards the door, in the process giving him a good view of her back. She turned and sent him a teasing grin. “Your car is what?” she asked.

“Nice dress,” he said smoothly, when he recovered.

“I thought we covered that.”

Lex tightened his grip on her hand and pulled her closer so he could speak in her ear. “We did, but that was before I knew how much of you it left *uncovered.*” He nipped her ear gently, and she could not contain her shiver. When she pulled back, he was smirking, obviously happy that he had evened the score.

They walked the rest of the way to the limo in silence. Chloe smiled at Ronald as he greeted them and opened the door with rapid efficiency.

As she folded herself into the car and scooted over to make room for him, she asked casually, “So are you sure everything’s OK…with business, I mean? I wouldn’t want your keeping this date with me to jeopardize your Calchip deal.”

Lex had just seated himself when her words sunk in. He gave her a silent appraising look as he waited for the driver to shut the door. “Well, I guess I should congratulate you. Do I even want to know how you figured it out?’

Chloe crossed her legs and made herself more comfortable on the leather seat. “Nice limo. True, I haven’t been in many, but this one is rather nice.”

“Are you going to answer my question?”

“What is this, a Lincoln Town Car? 2007? 2008?”

“Chloe…” she could tell he was getting frustrated. She laughed a bit and looked him straight in the eye.

“2008 Lincoln Town Car. Black. License plate ALG-496T. Registered to the CalChip Corporation, 330 West Broadway, San Diego, CA. Would you care to know how much mileage this thing has on it?”

When Lex only stared at her, she added, “Every good reporter needs a friend at the Department of Motor Vehicles, I have several.”

Lex was silent for a minute, probably realizing he had let slip that the car was provided to him by the company he was trying to acquire and she had jumped on that tidbit straight away.

Chloe had memorized the license plate as she walked away from the car the previous morning, while feigning interest in the view from the Embarcadero. It took no time at all to link the car back to CalChip and her guess was later confirmed by stories she found on the Internet about their recent financial difficulties.

Ronald’s voice over the intercom interrupted the silence as he asked where he should take them. Chloe gave him the address of the restaurant and looked back at Lex. The car began to move as she spoke. “Lex, I haven’t bought any stock or posted the information on the Net, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“I’m not worried about that at all. I know you wouldn’t do that. I guess I’m just a little mad at myself for being careless. I’m out of practice where you are concerned, it appears.”

“So it would seem, we’ll have to work on that,” she retorted, then added, “I only did it to prove that I could, Lex. I have no intention of jeopardizing your deal. I hope it works out.”

Lex reached for her hand again. “I know that, and to answer your question, it’s going very well. We wrapped up most of our major concerns today. The lawyers need to go over the fine print. We hope for make a formal announcement in the next few weeks.”

Chloe nodded. She was relieved that he trusted that she wouldn’t leak the information. She enjoyed baiting him but a small part of her had been worried that her little stunt would backfire.

They spent the rest of the ride in comfortable silence, their hands still entwined. Soon, they arrived at the restaurant, a causal but elegant seafood place on the water. The place was very popular with tourists and locals alike. So much so that the maitre‘d told them that it would be a few minutes for their table. When Lex glared at him, Chloe tugged on his arm gently. “We’re not in a hurry. C’mon, they’ve got a great bar in the back that overlooks the water.”

She was slightly surprised when Lex didn’t argue with her. When they were out of earshot of the relieved looking maitre’d, she thanked him for not barking at the poor man. He shrugged. “I’ve filled my quota of putting the fear of God into someone for the hour. I should be OK for a while.”

They maneuvered their way to the restaurant’s outdoor deck. There was a bar on one side, surrounded by some small tables, and a small band on the other. In the free space between, several couples were dancing to the soft music. By unspoken agreement, they headed not to the bar but to the railing closest to the water. For several minutes, they slightly appraised the view of the Pacific, its water a blue unlike any other.

“I’ve gotten so used to living near the ocean in the last few years, I sometimes wonder how I lived in Kansas all that time,” said Chloe.

“It’s true that living on the West Coast has its advantages over, say a Smallville, but you can’t hold that against the entire state,” replied Lex.

“You’re right. I’m sure Metropolis has its own advantages, too.”

“I seem to recall a time when you couldn’t wait to get back there.”

Chloe shrugged, trying to display a nonchalance she really did not feel. “Well, my world is a little bigger than Kansas now, isn’t it?”

Lex stared at her intently, so much so that Chloe had to fight the urge to fidget. She wondered what the silver-tongued Lex Luthor had to say to that.

Evidently, not much.

Instead he looked from her face to the dance floor and back. “Care to dance?”

So it wasn’t the smoothest of segues, especially not for him but Lex would rather she think him a little slow on the uptake right now than continue that conversation. Hearing Chloe voice what he had come to suspect over the last two days, namely that she was perfectly happy in California, was not what he wanted to hear at the moment. Her words fed the nagging suspicion that the attraction they felt for one another could go no further than tonight. Powerful as Lex’s mind was, he could not make himself fully process that information. It hurt too much.

When she nodded in answer to his request, he led her onto the dance floor, pushing down the thoughts as much as he could. He clasped one of her hands in his and brought it between their chests while he placed his other where he had wanted to touch her since they met in the lobby, on the bare skin of her back. Lex felt her sigh a bit at the contact and she rested her free hand on his shoulder, allowing him to lead the dance.

‘Don’t think about tomorrow; just enjoy this while you can,’ He thought to himself. She rested her head on his chest and he inhaled deeply. The thoughts became a mantra repeating in his head when he realized that he would certainly miss the way she smelled. The mantra began to work because soon he wasn’t thinking about much of anything other than the feel of her soft skin under his fingertips.

Turning her in time to the music, he sensed someone watching them and he scanned the unfamiliar faces at the bar until he found the culprit. ‘Fuck.’ It was Chloe’s would-be boss/ex Mark. He appeared to be having a drink with some other people at the bar while keeping one eye on Lex and Chloe.

Lex turned Chloe again, subconsciously placing his body between her and Mark. Unfortunately, the motion allowed her a better view of the people standing at the bar.

“Oh, crap!” he heard her mutter.

“What is it?” Lex asked, knowing full well the cause of her exclamation. Of course, she didn’t know that he knew what Mark looked like so he decided to keep it that way.

“I should have let you pick the restaurant. It seems I went and selected the one place that half my colleagues from the conference came to, including Mark. He’s over by the bar.”

“The same Mark who offered you the job? The same Mark you had a ‘thing’ with?” Lex clarified teasingly.

“Thanks for the recap, and for your information, what he and I had was very brief, barely even qualifies as a ‘thing’.”

“So it was a *small thing*? I can see how that would be a problem.” Lex pulled back to see her reaction to his innuendo and he was not disappointed. Her face was flushed as she tried and failed to give him a stern look. Finally she gave up and settled for chastising him through her laughter.

“Pervert. Now prepare yourself, he knows that I’ve spotted him and I can bet that he’s recognized you, too, so he’ll be over here for an intro real soon.”

“Good, I can’t wait to meet your *little* friend.”

“Behave!”

Sure enough, seconds after the song stopped, Mark all but pounced on them at the edge of the dance area.

“Chloe, hon, when you said you had plans for dinner tonight; you failed to mention that they involved the head of Luthor Corp.” Mark said, his eyes on Lex. Lex returned the stare and kept one arm around Chloe. Little thing or not if he called her ‘hon’ one more time, Lex was going to toss Mark and his wannabe rock star hair over the nearest railing.

“Must have slipped my mind. You know how slippery my mind can be. Lex Luthor, this is Mark Mitchell.”

Mark extended his hand and, though he knew it was petty, Lex extended the hand that was not wrapped around Chloe, forcing Mark to switch hands to make the handshake possible.

“Nice to meet you, Lex. Can I call you Lex?”

‘No, not until you stop undressing Chloe with your eyes. And still, likely not.’ Lex thought, purposely staying silent.

When Lex didn’t answer his question, Mark tried another tactic. “So, Chloe. How do you know Lex Luthor?”

“1-800-Rent-A-Billionaire. They deliver in 30 minutes or it’s half off,” Chloe deadpanned.

Mark laughed and Lex stole a look at Chloe. She looked just as anxious to be out of this conversation as he was.

“Seriously, hon, where did you two meet?” Mark asked again and it became clear he was not going to let it drop.

Chloe rolled her eyes and stepped out of Lex’s hold. “You explain it to him, I’m going to check on our table.” She leaned up briefly to whisper something in Mark’s ear and then she was gone.

Lex carefully watched Mark’s reaction, quite ready to heave his ass into the water behind them. When he saw Mark’s eyebrows shoot up, Lex surmised that he could save himself the trouble. Mark was a pro, though, and he recovered from whatever Chloe said rather quickly.

“So, how do you know Chloe?”

“She and I met each other when she lived in Kansas,” Lex answered vaguely.

“That’s right; Luthor Corp. is based there, isn’t it?”

“Yes it is. In Metropolis.”

“Well, since she hasn’t lived there for some time, I gather you and she go pretty far back?”

“About eight years.”

“That’s a long time. Well, as her ‘old friend,’ and a fellow citizen of Metropolis, perhaps you can be of some assistance to me, Lex.”

"How’s that?”

“Help me talk some sense into her. You see, my magazine has a job opening that I think Chloe would be just perfect for, but you know her, stubborn as hell, she hasn’t given me answer yet. With your help, I think we can convince her that the opportunity is more than worth moving to Metropolis for.”

If someone had told him that the deck they were standing on had suddenly broken away from the shore and was now bucking against the rough Pacific waters, Lex would have believed them in an instant. He felt decidedly sea sick.
Willing his stone face into place he asked, “The job’s in Metropolis?”

“Yes, well it will be. That’s where our new offices of the magazine will be by the time we’re ready for Chloe to come on board. So, what do you say, Lex? Will you help me?”

Lex studied the taller man for a few long seconds. “What did she say to you just now?”

Mark’s eyebrows knitted together. “What does that have to do with anything?”

Lex spotted Chloe waving to him from the doorway, signaling that their table was ready. He turned to Mark again. “Let me guess, she not-so-politely asked you not to call her ‘hon’ again?”

Mark looked sheepish. “What can I say, old habits die hard. If you must know, she threatened ‘to kick me in the balls so hard they’d come out my ears’ if I said it again.”

Lex smirked. “Does that sound like a woman you can talk into doing something she doesn’t want to do?” Mark had no answer to that, which was fine by Lex. “It was nice meeting you, Mark,” said Lex, as he walked away. Unfortunately, his bravado with Mark was a façade, Lex was now as confused as ever.

Though Chloe assured him that the food and wine were delicious, Lex had no clue what he ate that night. His mind was racing with all kinds of questions and his heart heavy with a host of conflicting emotions. ‘Why hadn’t Chloe said that the new job was in Metropolis? Was she so dead set against going back? Was it the memories of his father or all the other things that had happened there?’ Though it pained him to consider it, he had to wonder if it was him, was she reluctant to go back to Metropolis because of what it might mean for them? Halfway through the appetizers Lex, managed to regain his focus and banish those thoughts enough to hold up his end of the conversation. It was both a blessing and a curse because once reminded of how much he enjoyed talking to her. No one challenged him like Chloe did. Even when she was 17, he had looked forward to a chance meeting with her in that god-awful town just for chance to spar. Lex soon found himself deciding that, more than anything, he wanted Chloe to take that job. He wanted her back in Metropolis. With him.

He had barely acknowledged that realization when Chloe, with his encouragement, began telling amusing stories of her more adventurous assignments for the Chronicle. Then she spoke of living in San Francisco: of her tiny, yet comfortable apartment, of her friends, of the fantastic quirks about the city that would be strange anywhere else but were normal in San Francisco, of visiting her father every few weeks, of many things... As she spoke, Lex felt his stomach tightening yet again, only partially from her words, she was a writer after all and she painted vivid pictures of her life. But he didn’t really need those pictures. The look on her face was enough. She was happy, very much so. Who was he to ask her to give it all up?

By the time they left the restaurant, it was becoming difficult for Lex to hide the tension in his body. He wasn’t at all surprised when Chloe suggested that they take a dip in the hot tub when they returned to the hotel ‘so they could unwind.’ He agreed immediately, hoping it might help him clear his mind. Or something. At the very least it was their last night together in San Diego, he was damned if he was going to waste one second of it.

Patio…later that night…

Chloe walked out onto the patio, tugging nervously on the sash of her robe. She was not surprised to find Lex already there and already, shirtless, and fiddling with the temperature gauge on the tub. She cleared her throat and he looked up. He had the same slightly distracted expression on his face that she noticed a few times in the restaurant.

“Lex? Are you OK? You seem a little…” She searched for the right words as he came closer.

“A little what?”

“Quiet, I guess. You don’t seem like yourself tonight.” Chloe then winced when the words left her mouth. She had been with him three days, who was she to presume whether something was bothering him or not? “Never mind, it’s my overactive imagination.” She hastily untied her robe. Lex moved behind her to help pull it off her shoulders, his fingers grazing her skin in the process.

“If I recall correctly, that overactive imagination of yours is usually right on the money.”

Chloe turned to face him. “Maybe where meteor mutants were involved but not with you.”

“Especially with me.” He whispered before covering her lips with his. He buried the fingers of one hand in her hair while using the other hand to close the space between their bodies. Chloe gave a whimper and wrapped her arms around his waist. She flattened her palms against the smooth skin of his back and he took it as a signal to deepen the kiss, stroking his tongue over hers. He tasted like wine, but she certainly didn’t remember the wine they both drank at dinner tasting this good. As she ran her tongue over his soft lips, she became dimly aware that they were moving. Almost without her realizing, Lex had gripped her waist and lifted her several inches off the floor and was now walking up the steps, preparing to lower them both into the tub. Soon, the bubbling water surrounded them up to their chests and filled the scant remaining space between their bodies.

One of his hands remained tangled in her now wet hair while the other slipped under the water to roam freely over her body. Chloe let out a gasp against his mouth when she felt his fingers slip into the top of her bathing suit. Her own hands strayed to his waist again, hesitating only slightly before stroking him through his swim trunks. Lex’s animalistic groan brought Chloe back to reality. She reluctantly pushed at his shoulders to break the kiss, but he chased her lips with his. “Lex…hmmmphh…we need to stop for a minute. Lex!”

When she said his name a second time, he pulled back, panting and looking even more dazed than before. “What’s wrong?”

“I need to tell you something.”

“Now?”

“Yes, I want you to know this before…we go any further.” Chloe noticed that her serious tone seemed to get his attention and he loosened his hold on her.

“OK, what is it?”

“I want you to know that whatever happens between us tonight, I’m not taking that job…”

“Chloe, you don’t…”

“No, let me explain. I need to.” She interrupted and then took a deep breath. “I didn’t tell you earlier because, honestly, I didn’t know where we were going with this, but the job is in Metropolis, if I took it, it would mean moving back there.”

“And you don’t want to do that.” It was more a statement than a question.

She shook her head and Lex looked like he had been punched. “Lex, it’s not for the reasons you think. It isn’t about your father, Clark, or anything that happened in Smallville. All that’s in the past.”

“Is it about me?”

“No, but you should know that because of you, it wasn’t an easy choice but I'm happy where I am. The Chronicle, San Francisco, it's where I'm supposed to be right now, I can feel it. The only reason I even considered accepting that job was you, Lex. I would have told Mark no right off but last night, all I could think about was that moving back would bring me closer to you again. I know it was silly…after only three days…”

Lex pulled her closer and kissed her. Hard. “It’s not silly, Chloe,” he said when he pulled back. “And it hasn’t only been three days for me. Like I told you last night, I’ve wanted you since we lived in Smallville. These last three days have only proved that those feelings never went away.”

“I wanted you, too…but it was never the right time…”

“There were always people watching, judging,” finished Lex and Chloe smiled when she realized just how in tune they were and had always been.

“Chloe, now I need to tell you something…I knew that the job was in Metropolis.”

“What? How?” she immediately stiffened in his arms.

“Mark told me tonight when you left. He wanted me to help convince you to take the job.”

“Jackass.”

“We’ve established that, but that’s not the point. I *was* going to try to convince you to take the job. God, Chloe, it’s all I could think about all through dinner.”

“But?”

“But I’m not going to do that, not anymore.”

“Um…do you not want…?”

Lex took her face in his hands. “Don’t even think it’s because I don’t want you. I want you more than ever…but I also saw the look on your face when you were describing your life in San Francisco. I couldn’t ask you to walk away from all that. That’s part of who you are. It sounds crazy but I realized that the Chloe Sullivan I know and care about wouldn’t drop everything she had worked for just because I asked her to. Despite what you say about my ego, I know that much.”

Chloe laughed and leaned forward to kiss him gently. “Thank you, Lex. It’s good to know you were listening, it really is…but we have a problem. What do we do now?”

“I have some ideas…”

“Stop it, I’m serious. I think we both know this goes deeper than a one night stand. I may not be ready to move to Metropolis but I know I still want to be with you.”

Lex pushed the wet strands of hair from her face. “How do you feel about long-distance relationships?”

Chloe wrinkled her nose in response. “Do you really think we can pull that off? The odds would certainly be stacked against us.”

“They always have been, Chloe.”

“Fair point.” she replied, scooting further into his arms.

“I’d also like to remind you of my financial status. The odds of success increase dramatically when you have your own jet.”

“You don’t say? Hmmm…the billionaire perks never cease.”

“So what do you say? Do you want to try this? Time zones be damned?”

“Time zones be damned,” repeated Chloe and kissed him soundly to seal the agreement. It took only seconds for the kiss to reach the intensity of their previous embrace, perhaps because now they both knew where things stood. They kissed until they were both light-headed from the lack of oxygen and even then they took only the air they needed before coming together again. Lex slipped his hands beneath the waves to grasp Chloe’s waist and pull her closer until she was straddling him. She pressed rhythmically against him and they both moaned. “Like that, do you?” she said against his mouth and he gripped her hips and repeated the motion until she was practically ready to scream.

Suddenly Chloe felt Lex moving her yet again. He positioned her lower body strategically near one of the rushing jets of water. The effect on her body was instantaneous. She threw her head back and called out his name, clawing at his back. She felt his lips on her neck and she grabbed his face to still him.

“Upstairs. Now. We need to finish this…” she never finished her sentence because he was lifting her out of the tub. After a cursory toweling off, they threw their respective cover-ups on and practically ran towards the elevator. After what seemed life an eternity, it arrived and Lex wrapped his arm around Chloe and pulled her in, pressing his body against hers. With his free hand, he punched a button on the panel. Only one.

Lex pressed Chloe against the door to suite as he missed the keycard slot yet again. Chloe laughed against his chest, as it was likely her fault since she had been pressing open-mouthed kisses down his neck at the time.

“If you don’t stop that, we’re going to end up doing this in the hallway,” he warned and she reluctantly behaved. The keycard clicked in the lock and they stumbled in through the door, still clinging to one another. Lex made short work of her robe and lifted his arms so Chloe could remove his damp shirt. She leaned up to give him a bruising kiss before leaning back and lifting her own arms. She sighed as he trailed his fingers over her stomach before tugging the top of her bathing suit off and pulling her towards him.

They both swayed slightly as they pressed their upper bodies together and enjoyed the feel of skin moving against skin. Chloe decided to move things along by hooking leg around his waist to align their lower bodies as well. Lex grunted and gently sank his teeth into her bare shoulder. He then gripped her bottom to hold her in place as he rocked against her sending jolts of pleasure shooting wherever their bodies touched.

“Bed…?” she choked out, the single syllable sounding more like a command than a question. Lex responded by hitching her other leg around his waist and lifting her until he was supporting her weight. He kissed her deeply again as he blindly made his way through the luxurious suite to the bedroom.

Chloe noticed that his demeanor shifted a bit when they got to the bedroom. He laid her on the bed, carefully, almost reverently, before settling his own weight on top of her. Slowly, he began to rain light kisses over her face, down her neck and over each breast. She shifted restlessly at his gentle touch. It was not enough. Lex continued to move his mouth down her body stopping just below her navel. He hooked his fingers in her the bottom of her swimsuit and looked up at her. Chloe wriggled her hips again.

"Please, Lex, we can do this slowly later, I want to feel you."

He smiled against her stomach. "Someone's anxious."

"Damn right, I've waited too long for this. I need you…"

Her words seemed to spur him and he whisked her swimsuit off in one swift movement. . He sat up to do the same with his own and it was obvious to Chloe that he was just as ready for her as she was for him. He settled on top of her again and she bent her knees up to cradle him.

Gripping one hand on her thigh, Lex positioned himself at her entrance and eased into her. Chloe's eyes slid shut as she felt him fill her completely. He was not her first but she already knew that he would fill her like no one else. She had always known. She wrapped her legs around him and he began to move, slowly at first, then faster as they found a rhythm that pleased them both.

"God, Chloe, you feel good, better than I ever dreamed," she heard him whisper in her ear. She wanted very badly to make a snarky comment about him dreaming about her but whenever she opened her mouth all she was able to do was moan his name. She arched her back and pulled him even further into her and he tightened his arms around her.

Chloe lost all concept of time and focused on the feel of Lex driving into her, his damp skin under her hands and his breath in her ear as he whispered and grunted against her. The tension in her center began to spread down her legs and then to other parts of her body until she felt she was going to snap in two. She whimpered and thrust back against him to try to show him that she was close.

He seemed to understand and he increased his pace and stroked her to bring her closer to the edge. Suddenly Chloe felt the tension in her body shatter with a force she had never known before; in its place were waves of pure pleasure and contentment. She cried out but was completely unaware of what she said, or if it was even coherent. She felt Lex reach his peak as well and she heard her name spill from his lips again and again.

He collapsed on top of her and they remained that way for several minutes, letting their bodies cool and their breathing return to normal. Finally Lex kissed Chloe's lips softly and rolled to the side, keeping his eyes on her face.

"I'd say that was worth the wait, wouldn't you?"

Even with her eyes closed, Chloe could tell he was smirking and she could not bring herself to call him on it. He had every right to.

"God, yes." She opened one eye and then the other and tilted her head to meet his gaze. "But if you think I'm waiting another six years to do that again, you're crazy!"

Lex laughed and pulled her on top of him. "I promise, Chloe, it won't be nearly that long. If you lived on the other side of the world, I'd find a way to make this work. You're worth it."

She sighed sleepily against his chest. "So are you."

End chapter 3.

AlabamaWorley
2nd July 2004, 23:43
:worship2: I'm all giddy... whew! That was an excellent love scene, not too much detail, just enough to make it nice and steamy! I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Béatrice
3rd July 2004, 00:09
:drool: --> that was good and hot smut!

:wub: --> It's so sweet how they care for each other.

:biggrin: --> Very good update.

:worship2: --> Now I beg you to write more!

Lucifers love
3rd July 2004, 00:23
okay I don't smoke, but after that.... :smoker:

I really liked it, and is waiting anxiously for more

personally I don't believe in long distance relationships, but they will figure out a way, they have to.

okay, I waited long enough, update, now!

:chlexsign4:

asharnanae
3rd July 2004, 00:42
:biggrin: Oh so good, just amazeing!!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!! Gah.... damn, thatwas one fantastic update, too many good things, aghhh, :worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

Kit Merlot
3rd July 2004, 03:16
This was a gorgeous update :biggrin:

There were so many great moments: Lex going speechless when he sees Chloe's backless dress, their honesty with each other, and the romantic and sexy love scene.

WELL DONE--can't wait for more!

sylvia
3rd July 2004, 03:41
Another incredible update, and like Kit said, so many great Chlex moments. I especially liked the way Lex stonewalled Mark... you've shown both his powerful businessman exterior and his softer side with Chloe and that's really lovely.

I'm already looking forward to the next chapter!

ColumbiaBlue
3rd July 2004, 04:40
“1-800-Rent-A-Billionaire. They deliver in 30 minutes or it’s half off,” Chloe deadpanned.
That was *classic* Chloe right there. Man, I giggled so hard at that line. Excellent, perfect, job! I loved it all!

~Manda :blinkkiss:

hfce
3rd July 2004, 05:02
Aww that was so sweet. I loved the love making and the promise to make things work.

autumngold
3rd July 2004, 06:02
I really enjoyed your new chapter!! How I wish Chloe was going to move to Metropolis, but if anyone can make a long distance relationship work hopefully it's Chloe and Lex!! Excellent love scene!! :biggrin: I can't wait for the last chapter!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

xxasaxx
4th July 2004, 16:41
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Great story!!

sara_noele
5th July 2004, 13:15
Such a great chapter. Wonderful. Sweet and hot. :wub:

newbatgirl
5th July 2004, 20:22
See disclaimers and notes in part one.

A/N: This is it, I promise. This was supposed to be a quick tale to feed my muses. So much for that. Many of you know my fondness for quotes so I found an appropriate one:

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
-Mark Twain

If you’ve made it this far please feed the needy authoress with some comments, good or bad. Hugs to Kit Merlot for her general awesome-ness and assistance with this story.

Chapter Four

Penthouse Suite…early the following morning…

Lex awoke slowly, realizing that he felt more energetic than he had any right to given that he had only managed about two to three of hours sleep total. True to his word, he hadn’t made Chloe wait very long before making love to her again…and again. The knowledge that they didn’t know when they would be together again far outweighed the fatigue they felt. After the last time, however, when they were lying in front of the floor to ceiling windows that afforded the suite a dazzling view of the bay and the Coronado Bridge, Chloe finally fell asleep in his arms. He had carried her back to the bed and fallen asleep himself minutes later.

He rolled over to face Chloe and he found her sprawled on her stomach, her even breathing indicating that she was still fast asleep. The sheet draped over her barely covered her naked form up to her waist. Unable to resist even though he knew she needed her sleep, he ran his hand down her body, from her nape to her tailbone. He made a mental note to buy her several more dresses like the one she wore the previous night. As soon as the thought went through his head, it was followed by the thought that he didn’t know how Chloe would react to him buying her gifts. She wasn’t after his money, that much was clear. In fact she seemed to forget about it most of the time. She was truly like no other woman he had ever been with. As she had reminded him during the night, she was energetic, passionate, adventurous…and pretty damn *flexible.* He had to remember to ask her about the latter.

She stirred under his hand and turned her head to face his direction.

“Lex?” she asked, in a scratchy voice.

“Right here,” he replied, kissing her eyelids. She didn’t open her eyes.

“Hmmmmmm….”

“Sleepy?”

“A little…I also don’t want to open my eyes. If I keep them closed, it won’t be morning and we won’t have to leave.”

Lex smiled at her. “Far be it from me to point out the flaws in that logic. By all means, keep them closed.”

She groaned and opened her eyes. “What time is it?”

“I have no idea,” he replied, scooting closer to wrap her in his arms and bury his face in her neck. “And I don’t care.”

Chloe laughed as his lips started to tease the delicate skin. “Well, good for you but some of use have a plane to catch, and unlike you, mine won’t wait for me.”

“So let it leave, I’ll buy you another ticket. First Class.” He felt Chloe stiffen under him as soon as he said the words.

“No, Lex.”

“No?”

“No, we’re not going to start that. I’m not with you because of your money.”

“I didn’t say that you were, I just wanted…”

“You know if this is going to work, you’re going to have to get it through that thick skull of yours that not every woman responds to overpriced trinkets, fancy cars and hmmmmmph….”

‘Note to self, the most effective way to shut her up also happens to be the most pleasurable.’ He kept her mouth and tongue occupied with things other than talking for a few minutes before giving in to their mutual need for oxygen.

“Now, as I was saying, I just wanted to find us a way to spend a few more hours together but if you don’t want me to pay for your ticket, I’ll understand and I won’t make a big deal…OK?”

Chloe chewed on her already swollen lower lip, “OK, sorry for freaking on you like that…I just don’t want you to think that I only want you because…”

“I could never think that, Chloe. I know that you don’t want me for my money…now my body on the other hand…”

Chloe threw her head back and laughed and Lex thought it was the most beautiful sight in the world. “I’m certainly not going to try to deny that one, Luthor!” Lex took advantage of her position to resume his tender assault on her neck. She moaned and ran her hands up and down his back. Before he could stop himself, he breathed against her skin, “God, I could get used to this.” When he felt her stiffen slightly against him a second time, he mentally kicked himself for ruining the moment.

“Um, Lex, you know we actually haven’t talked about *how* we’re going to do this.”

“Well, this may come as a surprise but I was rather fond of the ‘you on top’ scenario,” he replied, trying to regain the levity in their interaction.

Chloe reached up and lightly smacked the back of his bare head. “That’s not what I meant and you know it, but that is good information to have, thanks.”

Lex released her and rolled onto his back, He rubbed his eyes and looked up at the ceiling for a moment.

“I can get out here every few weeks, I think, depending on what’s going on. My schedule’s a bit crazy at times; I won’t lie to you on that.”

“I know, mine is, too.”

“There’s always the phone, I’m sure you've heard of it.”

“And email… I haven’t been back to Metropolis in a while but I’m not opposed to the idea entirely, especially now…”

“So…..”

“So?”

Lex sat up a little in the enormous bed. “Do you still want to do this? You were right when you said the odds would be stacked against us.” He had to leave himself open to the possibility that her agreeing to this last night had be a product of their steamy session in the hot tub. Even if it seemed like a very small possibility given what she just said.

Chloe paused and Lex knew for sure that his heart would not beat again until she spoke. “Yes, I do, Lex. If it doesn’t work, then it doesn’t work but we should try. We’ll take a chance on this. On us.” Lex let out the breath he had been holding. ‘Since when does so much ride on what she says?’

Chloe closed the space between them and straddled him, kissing him lightly. ‘Oh yeah, since you laid eyes on her again in the elevator a couple of days ago.’

Chloe squinted at the clock on the bedside table. “Well, as it turns out, we do have a few hours before my flight leaves…”

“Really?” Lex asked, wrapping his arms around her to hold her in place.

“Yes, we do. So what were you saying about the ‘me on top’ scenario?”

San Diego International Airport…later that day…

Chloe forced a smile at the overeager airline employee who was processing her ticket. She silently prayed that the woman would tell her that all flights were grounded due to impending locust invasion. Or that all the pilots could not fly due to painful boils. Really, any of the twelve plagues would do right about now. Even the frog one.

She didn’t. Instead punched a seemingly random set of keys on her terminal, tore off an equally random set of stubs from Chloe’s ticket and handed the packet back to Chloe with an irritating smile.

“Have a pleasant flight, ma’am.”

‘Pick a finger and spin,’ thought Chloe. She wondered if she actually said it, would it actually make a dent in the woman’s bright, Lana Lang-esque grin. Probably not. But really, it wasn’t the ticket agent’s fault that Chloe was in such a bad mood. And there wasn’t anything anyone could do about it. “Thanks,” Chloe muttered instead, after handing the woman her small case to check.

She turned to see Lex watching her from a few feet away. His plane was due to leave a little after hers, from a private runway on the other side of the airport. That meant he could walk her to her gate and they could do the whole painful goodbye thing right here in front of eight zillion other travelers. ‘Great.’

Chloe took a deep breath and walked up to him.

He raised his eyebrows at her. “If looks could kill, Chloe, there would have been a ticket agent shaped puddle on the floor over there.”

She shrugged, “Is it my fault they send those people to special Annoying Classes? Plus, I hate being called ‘ma’am.’ Makes me feel like my Grandma Sullivan.”

Lex laughed at her and took both of her hands in his. They stood there for a moment, their eyes on their intertwined fingers.

Looking at his hands, Chloe’s mind replayed the feel of his hands on her body both the previous night and that morning. She always thought he had great hands. Now she knew what they were truly capable of: stroking her until she chanted his name, holding her face gently as he kissed her, soothing her after they both collapsed from exhaustion. She raised her eyes to meet his and their slightly glazed and heated appearance led her to conclude that he was reliving their time together as well.

There had been a franticness and desperation in their lovemaking that morning. It was as if they were trying to burn the memories of each other into their brains. She knew she had left marks on him in her frenzy and as she showered later she found the ones he left on her. They didn’t know exactly when they would see each other again so they didn’t try to pin down dates. They just enjoyed each other while they could. They would let the rest take$care of itself.

He freed his fingers to reach into his suit jacket and extracted a small card. “I need to give you this…it has my private numbers, cell, home and office…my private email, too.” He handed hmr the card with an almost apologetic smile. She looked down at the card and was relieved to find that it was just a plain card with said numbers written in Lex’s own precise handwriting. It would have seemed so wrong if he handed her one of his business cards. Chloe swallowed hard and slipped the card into her purse, in the process pulling out a folded sheet of her own, a page hastily torn from her planner.

“Here’s mine…cell, home, work, and my home address.” Their fingers brushed as he took the page from her, looking at it for a minute before he pocketed it.

Awkwardly they linked hands again. Chloe frowned at him. “This suddenly got very real. I know that sounds stupid, we’ve known this was going to happen…”

“But it’s another thing entirely to actually do it,” he finished for her. She nodded.

“C’mon, let’s get you to your gate.” Lex wrapped his$arm around her waist and began to lead her through the crowded terminal.

Her flight had begun to board by the time they got there and she knew there was no turning back now. He wrapped the other arm around her and pulled her close. She sniffled against his shoulder. She hadn’t cried in years and she wasn’t about to start now. Of course nobody informed her eyes of that resolve. They were stinging and threatening to fill up.

“This is stupid, I don’t cry. There’s nothing to cry about, riglt? This isn’t the end of something.”

Lex stroked her hair. “No you’re right. It’s the beginning, Chloe. It’s only the beginning.” He pulled back to look at her. He brushed his thumbs over her eyes to wipe away the moisture. “Now say something smart to prove you aren’t turning into a sap on me, Sullivan.”

Chloe laughed shakily. “I want a rematch on our swimming competition, Luthor.$ I still say I can kick your rich boy ass.”

“You got it.” He leaned in to brush his lips over hers and she responded instantly, opening her mouth to stroke her tongue over his as she gripped at his shoulders. She felt him pull her towards him with a passion she knew he rarely showed in front of other people. She heard a moan but she couldn’t tell if it came from Lex or herself. They broke apart only when they heard the announcement calling her flight again.

“I’ll see you soon?” she asked, cursing herself for the neediness in her tone.

“Very soon, that’s a promise.” He kissed her again, very softly, and let her go.

Chloe made it all the way to the door leading to the plane before stoppmng to look at Lex one more time. She winked at him and waved briefly before walking down the ramp to her plane. This wasn’t a movie. There weren’t any locusts or anything else to stop the plane. This was real life and it was what they agreed upon. She’d be damned if she couldn’t hold up her end.

Luthor Corp. Jet…somewhere over the Rockies…

Lex looked down at the reports and spreadsheets he had been pretending to read for the last hour. He hadn’t a clue what they said. This was not good. They were supposed to be adults about this. This was what they agreed to. ‘But that doesn’t mean it won’t hurt’ said his inner voice. Taking a deep breath, he decided that working on the plane was a lost cause. He’d just have to make it up later. It was just impossible to try to work when he could still smell her on his clothes.

He looked at his watch again; she should have landed by now. Soon she would see what he had done. It was a bit sappy, romantic and completely unlike him. But he did it anyway, mostly because he could not stop himself. He wanted to do a whole lot more but he knew Chloe. She wouldn’t stand for it.

Lex tooo his cell phone from his pocket again. He shook it slightly and turned it over in his hands. Logically he knew that it would not make it ring any faster but he had to do something.

San Francisco Airport…later that day…

Chloe retrieved her lone suitcase from the baggage claim and began to look around for the quickest route to the exit so she could hail a cab. In doing so, her gaze fell upon a dark suited man holding up a sign that read ‘C. Sullivan’

‘Son of bitch… what did he do?’

Adjusting the strap of her purse, she trudged over to the man, hoping that whatever Lex did, it wouldn’t embarrass her in the middle of a busy airport.

“Hi” she said to the man, “I’m Chloe Sullivan. Let me guess, Mr. Luthor sent you?”

“Yes, miss. And he sent this for you.” The man produced a single red rose from behind his back along with a card.

Chloe rolled her eyes and took the items. “There had better not be keys to a Porsche or something in here,” she said as she slit open the envelope and removed the card.

‘Chloe-

Please don’t kill the man bearing this; he’s only in innocent bystander. He’s also under strict orders not to call you ‘ma’am’ so that has to count for something.

My first inclination was to send you a rose for every mile that’s between us or one for every day that we’re apart. However, I$wisely realized that you would dice me into an equal number of pieces if I did and that would be that. So please accept this single rose as proof that I am a sensible man and also accept this car and driver as proof that I would like you to get home safely.

Yours, Lex

P.S. I’ll save you the trouble, the limo is registered to Five Star Limo Rentals, San Francisco, CA.’

Chloe could not help the smile that spread over his face as she read the note. He was crazy, insane perhaps, but he was thinking about her. As she was about him.

Turning her attention back to the driver, she smiled again. “What’s your name?”

“David, miss.”

“Well, David, if you’ll help me with this bag, you and I can get the heck out of here. And if you get through this without calling me ‘ma’am’, I’ll buy you a cup of coffee.”

Chloe followed David to his waiting a car, which she noticed with relief was a simple black Town Car, not a stretch limo. She settled into the seat and pulled out her phone. She pressed the newest entry on her speed dial and waited to hear his voice. He picked up on the first ring.

“Luthor.”

“I haven’t killed him yet and if he can teach me how to safely navigate weekday airport traffic, he just might live another whole day.”

“Is that right? So you like my gift?”

“I like your gift. Keep these gifts of yours within reason, Luthor, and we just might have something here.”

“I’ll keep that mind.” A pause. “I miss you already.”

“Good.”

The End.

hfce
5th July 2004, 21:29
Oh that was such a great ending. I hate that it is gone. I loved it. :clap:

kirt30
5th July 2004, 21:52
are you going to do a sequal

asharnanae
5th July 2004, 23:18
:biggrin: PERFECT!!!!!!!!!! :chlexsign2:

autumngold
5th July 2004, 23:42
Originally posted by kirt30@Jul 5 2004, 09:52 PM
are you going to do a sequal
Great idea!! We definitely need a sequel to this fabulous story!! Great ending though!! :chlexsign3:

Kit Merlot
6th July 2004, 03:26
This was an awesome ending! Chloe and Lex, leading their lives but still going for the romance--GORGEOUS :biggrin:

sylvia
6th July 2004, 06:12
I loved it. Completely and utterly loved it. Thank you so much for writing this! And I bet you could do a great sequel if you tried, so... :biggrin:

Queen Of Tact
6th July 2004, 08:41
Awww *sniff sniff* that was so sweet... I loved it!!!! Great job!!!

CC

hickchick
6th July 2004, 08:44
that was a wonderful fic. thanks for writing it.

such a happy ending :biggrin:

AlabamaWorley
6th July 2004, 16:29
Aw, I had real tears and everything! Excellent story, thank you. :chlexsign3:

je_m'adore
6th July 2004, 16:42
:crygreen: AUGHHHHHHH!!!! :crygreen: THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! :crygreen: AUGH!!!!! okay- okay- i need to get a grip.

But seriously- *sigh* tres magnifique!!! :chlexsign2:

ColumbiaBlue
7th July 2004, 01:23
Oh I loved the ending! I loved the whole thing! Loved it, loved it, loved it! And I'm sad it's over cause this is such a great story! But now... You better get your behind working on FM or else... LOL J/K.

I must concur with the sequel idea. You have to do one!

~Manda :blinkkiss:

TheDragonLady
7th July 2004, 09:14
WHAT A LOVELY ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore this fic.... I expect many more from you in the future.

sara_noele
8th July 2004, 16:56
Oh, its already finished. Loved the story, especially the last part.

The scene in the bed kind of reminded me of Romeo and Juliet, you know that scene where he has to leave to Mantua.
The talk between Lex and Chloe... great!

:chlexsign2:

marrycherry
8th July 2004, 18:58
so romantic...... i would like a sequel though, to know how they cope with a distant relationship!!!!!!!

:chlexsign3:

Val
8th July 2004, 21:23
Oh they're so damn cute!!! Loved the fic!
I'll join the crowd and ask for a sequel too! :biggrin: I'd like to see how they work this out and maybe later when they decide to finally move in together!

newbatgirl
9th July 2004, 00:43
Aww you guys are the best. I will consider a sequel but not for a few weeks. My butt will have large black and (Columbia)blue marks on it if I don't churn out some chapters of my other story soon.

I also need to get inspired...you know, I hear REM is working on a new album... :biggrin:

Thank you all for the lovely FB.

Kendrix03
10th July 2004, 09:24
There are few romances that I can say I truly loved. This is one of them. This fic was wonderfully written. It wasn't overly romantic to the point of nausea. It was light and full of banter yet it contained such depht. I laughed and actually cried a few tears because it was so beautiful. When I got to the last part, I was in denial. I didn't want it to end.

That is why I propose a sequel. A continuation to the wonderful ending that promised so much.

sexi_angel_babee
14th July 2004, 01:58
awwwww... that was soooooooo sweet... fantastic job! :chlexsign1:

Lucifers love
20th July 2004, 17:27
this is what happens when I go away, I always miss something

great ending, so sweet

but why did you have to end it??
just tell me why??

love the fic, write more (that's an order!!)

buddyfozzy
20th July 2004, 17:39
I loved this fic so much. Great job!! :worship2: :yay: :worship2:

Ainur
22nd October 2004, 06:00
:worship2: Oh my this was fantastic and it was my 1st Chlex fanfic too. I just have this stupid smile on my face. Everything about this fic was perfect. I love their banter and their smartass coments to each other. I like how Chloe treat it him, like a normal person. He needs that. They were funny and sexy. It was fantastic. Great job!!!

Eta: I don't know if you already did. I'm new. You should write a sequel. :biggrin:

becky
29th October 2004, 01:39
God, i couldn't tear myself away!!!

This was *so* well written, the banter between them was just so natural it was elegant. The hot tub was :biggrin: too!!

Thanks for making me late for bed, on a night when i'm up early for work :devil:

~Becky~
:chlexsign3:

Clannadlvr
30th October 2004, 00:54
Babe! *hugs you*

I'm catching up on all these stories I've missed, and this one was such a pick me up on a blah day.

Romantic and lovely....and...*happy sigh*

Kandya
25th November 2004, 00:39
[COLOR=purple]Wowzer's that was good. While I was reading the date scene I was like [COLOR=yellow]"What's going on in the real world...please let us get out of his head."[COLOR=purple]Man oh man, I'm so totally in love with this story. :wub:

Smallville_Sitton
18th December 2004, 04:51
There should definately be a seqeul!!! Yes yes yes. Pretty please!!

:chlexsign1: :chlexsign2: :chlexsign3: :chlexsign4:

Zannie
19th February 2005, 15:05
I just got the chance to read this, and . . . *sighs blissfully* . . . I love it.

Your Chloe and Lex are both in character and yet have clearly grown up since the Smallville years. Their banter is sharp and funny, and their interaction natural. I love that the progress of their relationship is so mature--they both know what they want and go for it.

I can't tell you how happy it made me that Chloe didn't take the job just so she could be in Metropolis with Lex. I'm so glad she did what was best for her and made a confident, wise decision instead of letting her sentiment cloud her judgment, which I see so often in stories.

I also loved the end. It seemed so in character and adult of Chloe to resist the idea of elaborate, ostentatious gifts from Lex and instead value the simple ones--and of Lex for realizing that she would. I like that things didn't resolve perfectly (they still have to juggle a long-distance relationship); it was much more representative of the real world.

The story is both sweet and realistic. And I feel quite fortunate that the sequel is already written.

newbatgirl
21st February 2005, 03:44
:blush: I'm speechless, and that NEVER happens. :blush:

starmoon
27th March 2005, 10:05
great story.

arkakitty
5th June 2005, 09:36
That was soooo great ^^

cristiel82
11th June 2005, 20:37
I really liked a lot. I hope the sequel is just as good.

emnorth2002
22nd June 2005, 19:54
I've worked up quite a poker face for reading fanfic while I'm at work, but this one had me grinning, giggling, laughing out loud, and at one point (to my unending shame) practically cooing at the screen. Wonderful, fabulous, beautiful, brilliant story! *cuddles story* I'd write more, but now I must go and find absolutely everything else you've posted to this site and read those stories, too!
:-)
Em

ggdoll18
25th June 2005, 07:52
I really liked it!!! love this quote

‘Note to self, the most effective way to shut her up also happens to be the most pleasurable.’

Your Worshipfulness
27th June 2005, 07:45
Incredibly interesting and totally in character. I couldn't have been more pleased if I'd found a hundred dollars on the ground. My only regret is that it was so short. Still, as I always say, quality over quantity. I hope to read more from you soon.

~Your Worshipfulness

Thaís
28th June 2005, 02:19
Really good Lex and Chloe, and really believable way they got older.
Really short, tought, for a story with such big possibilities...
Just charming an d adorable, the way that after six years they still have these strong feelings for each other... So cute...

newbatgirl
28th June 2005, 02:52
Thanks for the new FB, ladies. It really helps to see you guys enjoying my older stories (especially since I'm trying to scrape together the time to work on a current one).

For those that thought that this was short, please check out the sequel. It's called Life Less Ordinary (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php?t=1802) and it's twice as long as this one. Damn muses!

Hugs,
NBG

darkangel
4th July 2005, 04:47
this story was good. the author is very talented.

Shane77
7th July 2005, 17:21
This is so good!
You have written such a good story!
See you and hope you make lof of stories like this!

itsjustXchar
6th August 2005, 21:32
“I’ll keep that mind.” A pause. “I miss you already.”

“Good.”

The End.

I can so see that happening. Awesome Chlex. KUDOS, MAD KUDOS!!! :drool2:

crystela16
17th August 2005, 05:16
This was a good beginning that needs to be followed up with. I'll be waiting for a sequel.

Donutte
15th December 2005, 10:53
And over a year later - it's still being liked :)

Wonderful story! I do hope you write (wrote) a sequel to this. It was a lovely fic, and I enjoyed reading it so very much :)

Do'

MagnusXXN
16th December 2005, 02:47
Always good to see new fics! Gotta go read the follow up.

): )

spaceboi's pixie
16th December 2005, 04:49
this fic rocks but ended to soon so i was hoping there was a sequel and then i found it i was jumping with joy lol

teb85
19th December 2005, 18:45
I read this late last nite and was too tired to review but it was fantastic I totally fell in love with it!! Great job and i loved the sequal too !! your a very talented writter !!!

pipersmum
20th December 2005, 17:42
Well seeing as you haven't updated Ends and Means I thought I would read something else of yours and I am so glad I did:D
This is a lovely little story and there's a sequel as well which I will go and read shortly. Loved how you wrote Lex in this story it made a change for him to let Chloe lead him about;)
This line mad me laugh!!

“So, Chloe. How do you know Lex Luthor?”

The bit at the end with the rose and the car was so sweet I just loved this story:grin3:

katieandjason
20th December 2005, 18:14
aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww. I am such a sap; this story made me melt into a mushy pile of Katie goop. I loved the ending, loved loved loved it.

sarah_7174
20th December 2005, 20:02
This was a gr8 story and i am now going to read the sequal, when i got to end i was thinking there has got to be a sequal and Ya there was.

Luv'd the fic

jafrizbee
29th December 2005, 07:21
Loved this story! Also, I totally agree with you about Automatic for the People being one of the greatest albums ever, and Nightswimming is my favorite track from that album, so another good choice :)

I'm about to go check out the sequel now, can't wait!

Thanks!

Kikina
29th December 2005, 11:30
Great, I love it.You rock! :D

zho9
2nd January 2006, 12:00
Love this!

sadie kate
28th February 2006, 19:33
Oh, I LOVED this. I must go track down everything you've ever written now.

newbatgirl
13th June 2006, 00:14
Hi,

As promised I've made a printable version of this fic which is now available for download here (http://www.savefile.com/files/7578703).

Even if you've already read this, it's worth checking out to see another of sinecure's awesome cover images.

Thanks.

PM or email me if you have trouble with Savefile and I'll email the file to you. This file is a lot smaller than the last file so it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

zho9
2nd July 2006, 00:46
Thank you for providing a printable version of this fic as it is one of my favorite stories and have reread it several times.

Nonhalema
8th May 2007, 23:26
"Fuck!"

"Nice to see you, too."

What a beginning...honestly...great...*g*

Great story, just loved every letter of it!

lexie
16th May 2007, 16:06
newbatgirl, I´ve really enjoyed readin this fic. You´ve done an amazing job !
I´m planning on reading the sequel. Pleeease... update ¨ Infidelity Project ¨ soon !

:grin3:

Tanschana
16th May 2008, 04:40
OMG you had me saying nothing else but *awwwwwww* and *cuuuuuuuute* for over 5 minutes!
Verrrrry nice story, but now I have to hurry because I want to read the sequel NOW!

persephone47
8th July 2008, 02:53
So cute. I loved it, but it was too short :sees link to sequel and runs off:

ThraceC
27th April 2009, 01:22
NBG this is the first fic of yours I've read and damn. You are one excellent writer, the banter, the characterizations, the poignant moments and the humor. What perfect lines you create. I've been laughing to myself in a public coffee shop for half an hour and it's your fault. A truly pleasurable read and I'm looking forward to more of your work. Thanks.

P.S. The Latin line nearly killed me. Good one.

elementia
4th May 2009, 11:44
That was such a sweet story.
I only wish it was longer.
:)

jkar
11th May 2009, 22:36
Very nice.

For some reason their breakfast out - her tucking his tie in, the sugary goodness and the outdoors - it just tickled me.

I'm all eager to read the sequel.

Thank you.

Julia

emms14
25th September 2010, 21:23
What a completely awesome chlex story! It wasn't too long but it wasn't too short and it was very sweet. I loved the way Chloe and Lex just happened to meet and immediately hit it off. I really liked how easy their relationship began which was a nice contrast to the end of the story. I think it's great that while the ending was happy, it wasn't necessarily a "happily-ever-after" ending. Despite their goal of continuing a relationship long distance, they realistically know that it may not always be simple. I'm off to go read the sequel now! :)

-emms14

talon
13th February 2012, 07:14
this is a wonderful story! i have read your chlollie, i didnt realize you wrote chlex too!

paolamhc
14th February 2012, 20:06
I really enjoyed your story! can't wait to read the sequel.

Fouzia
26th February 2012, 11:54
SO sweet!!!

ermelindis
19th April 2012, 21:37
I just read this story and it is really marvelous. Very well written. I have enjoyed reading it.

Ami Rose
21st July 2012, 01:31
Really really really loved this story

malugargula
16th January 2013, 05:06
Loved it
Each fic I read Chlex became more and more right
Now to the sequel :)

Yelena
7th December 2013, 23:44
Great story!