PDA

View Full Version : In the sight of God. PG

asharnanae
17th June 2004, 22:28
:blush: Ok, I would like to dedicate this to Lark, Cuz without you, My muse would be sitting around on her ass doing nothing! You are beautiful mate!

Title: In the Sight of God.

Raiting : PG

Disclamer : I OWN NOTHING! yadda yadda yadda!

Spoilers : None.

Summery : Response to the first official fan fic challange.

Review : I'll love you for ever and ever!

In the sight of God.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Well, the road to mine and Lex’s wedding was paved with screaming, slapping, concussions, passion and even the odd meteor freak or two. But it has to be said, that the biggest pot hole in our road reared it’s butt ugly head on the day we went to pick out our wedding bands, and I do not mean of the lame singing variety!

1 year earlier….

“Ugh! Lex, No, just no. It, it, it, they are just hideous. How did you every pick out such a lovely engagement ring and yet have such awful taste in wedding rings! It defies every natural law there ever was.” Chloe’s exasperation was mounting as she and Lex *Discussed* there different views on the wedding ring.

“It fits every one of the criteria that you stated! Everything! Not to wide, Pale or white gold, no designs on the outside, no stones, simple and clean, not outrageously expensive, enough room for an inscription on the inside! Come on, what is the problem with THESE ones Chloe?” Lex was standing facing Chloe, counting off the points on his fingers, he had long since given up not making a scene, this was the seventh ring shop. Lex was fast losing patience, for it seemed to him that Chloe’s *Perfect* rings did not exist, and thus this little foray into ‘driving yourself insane 101’ was completely pointless.

“Oh really!” Chloe crossed her arms and started tapping her foot, Lex inwardly sighed, this was not a good sign.

“Tell me Lex, where on that list you just read out was the slot for UGLY HUNK OF METAL! Because I don’t remember stating that as one of the things I wanted in our rings, now it could just be me, but I think I would have remembered a blinder like that!”

Lex closed his eyes and mentally counted to ten, then repeated the action. His will was now worn thinner than a wafer on the Atkins diet. It was as if Chloe didn’t want any rings, ‘Is she having second thoughts?’ A wave of nausea crashed over Lex and he paled as the thought took root in his mind. ‘It’s the only possible explanation, she doesn’t want to get married, maybe she doesn’t even really love me. Fuck!’

Chloe began to get worried, Lex had gone from frustration overload to defeated in a few short moments. She watched as his shoulders sagged and his usually unflappable poise trembled imperceptibly. “Lex, are you Ok? You don’t look to good all of a sudden, what wrong?”

Lex sighed and opened his eyes to look into the deep green orbs he loved so much. “I think we should call it a day for now Chloe, I don’t think we are going to find anything that meets the requirements today,” ‘Or any day, since you don’t want to marry me any more.’ “Lets go home, I’m sure we’ll have better luck tomorrow.” It was all he could do not to let his voice choke on the word home. ‘Will it ever be *our* home now Chloe?’

She knew in her heart that something was very wrong, Lex *never* just gave up like this. “Ok, we’ll start again tomorrow, bright and early, that’s if you can drag me out of bed!” She said with a suggestive wink. But to her dismay it did not have the usually affect. Instead of Lex throwing back an even worse innuendo with a sexy smirk and twinkling eyes, he just gave her a small smile, his eyes looked so, well, sad.

They didn’t speak on there way out of the shop, or on the walk to the car. The ride back to the penthouse was just the same. Chloe wanted to ask him what was wrong, she didn’t know what changed Lex so much in those few moments before they left the shop, but she knew she had to find out. But she also knew Lex when he was like this, she had to leave him for a while, plus she needed to figure out what was going on before she confronted him, otherwise he’d be impossible.

Lex walked over to his home office as soon as he got though the door, he had to get away for a while, every time he looked at Chloe his heart tore. It all made sense now, her working so much more, calling Pete all the time, the girls nights out with Michelle and Zoë from college. She was looking for a way out, she didn’t love him anymore. ‘Maybe she never did.’ Lex sat alone in the darkness of his unlight office.

When Chloe awoke alone in the bed the next morning, she frowned, come to think of it, she didn’t remember Lex even coming to bed. As she looked over at the nightstand she saw a note with her name on the front. She role over to pick it up and looked at the message scrawled inside.

‘Chloe. There was an emergency at work, It was early so I didn’t want to wake you, I’ll be home late – Lex.’

“What the hell?” Chloe looked at the note in disbelief, never had Lex in all the time they had been together just left a lame note like this, not woken her to kiss her goodbye and wish her a happy day.

‘Pete, I need to talk to Pete, and now.’ Chloe thought as she grabbed the phone and pressed the speedial. When the phone was picked up on the other end, Chloe heard a barely awake Pete grunt a hello.

“Pete! Wake you ass up, I need to talk to you, and this is serious Pete, something is very very wrong.” Chloe babbled down the phone to her best friend, worry clear in her tone.

“Chlo’? Woah, slow down girl, just tell me what’s wrong, slowly, I am still not yet fully awake and alive at this time on a Saturday.” Pete rubbed his eyes and propped himself up in bed, Chloe sounded worried, this did more than anything to get his brain functioning.

“Pete, something’s wrong with Lex, when were ring shopping yesterday and couldn’t find anything. After I rejected maybe like the thousandth hideous ring set, he just sorts well, gave up, for want of a better phrase, his shoulders slumped and everything, then he didn’t talk to me the whole way home and he didn’t come to bead and this morning he left me some crappy note about some probably fake emergency and work and didn’t even wake me. What is going on Pete? Tell me I just being paranoid!” The words tumbled out of Chloe’s mouth like a torrent, the pent up emotions from the day before rushing out all at once.

Pete was very quiet for a moment. “Go to him Chloe, and don’t take no for an answer.” And then he hung up.

Present day…..

‘What are you thinking about Chloe?” Lex asked his newly wed wife, a smile as wide as the sky on his face.

Chloe looked down at the perfect band of gold on her hand. “Just about the whole ring thing, that Pete really is a scarily wise person at times, and that I am eternally glad that he’s our friend,” Chloe paused for a moment and turned in her husbands arms so that she could look into his eyes, “What did we do to get so lucky?”

Lex just smiled, hugged her close and kissed her. ‘I never thought I a million years that I would owe my happiness to Pete Ross!’ Was the last thing that Lex thought before he was lost to the kiss.

End.

Queen Of Tact
17th June 2004, 23:01
Aww I liked it... Got to Love Pete... What will we ever do without him...

Nice job....

CC

Béatrice
17th June 2004, 23:37
:biggrin: Great!!! Thanks Pete!

autumngold
18th June 2004, 01:21
Thank goodness for Pete!! Poor Lex thinking that Chloe had changed her mind!! Great ending to your story!! Thank you for the story!! :chlexsign1:

Blackberry
18th June 2004, 04:10
I always thought Pete was the cool one&#33; :) :) Yey&#33; Great take on the challenge&#33; :) In Japanese, they&#39;d probably say &#39;Kawaii&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#39; (cuuuute&#33;&#33; <--- in other words) ^___^

BB

hfce
18th June 2004, 05:45
OHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Nice.. :biggrin:

Hope :)

Shay
21st June 2004, 20:27
I guess a man as brilliant as Lex has his moments of weakness...especially when it comes to Chloe.

Loved it
Shay

AlabamaWorley
23rd June 2004, 20:32
Now why can&#39;t the SV writers find such good uses for Pete? :tease: Loved it&#33;

starmak2000
24th June 2004, 23:45
I loved how this was funny yet just the right amount of sweet.Oh poor insecure Lex,someone really needs to give him a smack upside the head.Yay excellent use of Pete&#33;He most definitly deserves :worship2: :worship2: .
As do you :worship2: :worship2:

starmoon
29th April 2005, 22:06
perfect i just loved it and it was so funny that pete is the reason why lex and chloe are together and happy.

copper3
4th May 2005, 10:09
Very sweet. Somehow I can see Lex being insecure like that if ever did find someone he truly loved.

I needed some fluff today, great job. :)

carebear72884
4th May 2005, 10:27
cute Ash, I can't belive I missed that one.

LarkLuthor
7th June 2005, 00:46
Ack! I've never replied to this! I can't believe it! I've read it at least twice before....odd...especially since I always reply to something Ash posted if I see anything interesting....

I love the idea there, my dear... Almost lost everything over a little misunderstanding due to wedding craziness. Very realistic reaction on Lex's part there. This is one of those fics that leaves you with smile-on-face for a while...

Ashie dear, I'm only asking 'cause you're my bestest buddy and I know you, and I know how you and grammer don't like each other...but would you like it if I fixed up a couple of things and PMed you it, so you can edit it for fixed-grammer?

Lark