PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse (R)

AlabamaWorley
5th June 2004, 02:56
I don't own the characters or the song, and have nothing that anyone could possibly sue me for ...

This is a song fic, written around Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. It may venture into R territory, I don't have it plotted solidly enough to be certain.

I started this after Forsaken, and you just have to disregard Covenant while reading it! Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every now and then I get a little bit lonely
And you're never coming round...
Every now and then I get a little bit tired
Of listening to the sound of my tears...

“Turn around.”

The guard’s voice was as flat and bored as her expression. Chloe wished she could dispose of her emotions as easily as this woman had; she was so tired of crying. She quickly dried her eyes with her sleeve and faced away to offer the guard her wrists. The full shackles only meant one thing: a visitor.

“Is it my husband?” she asked anxiously. She hadn’t heard from him since that awful day in court, but she knew he had to be coming soon. Her lawyer had advised her just yesterday to drop her appeal, so he probably knew something big was about to happen.

The guard snorted.

“Didn’t you look at them papers I brought you this morning?”

“No,” Chloe replied. “I’m dropping my appeal, so I’m just going to send them back to my attorney.”

“Them wasn’t no appeal papers.” The guard picked up the envelope Chloe had tossed on the small table. She ripped it open then held the papers up for her prisoner to read.

Chloe was barely aware of the sound of the chains rattling as her hands began to shake. The words blurred on the page as the tears she had just managed to stem started again.

They were divorce papers.

Every now and then I get a little bit nervous
That the best of all the years have gone by...

Her head hanging, she allowed herself to be led into the visitor cubicles. She couldn’t bring herself to see who was on the other side of the glass; it didn’t matter anymore. She waited for the guard to remove her cuffs, then collapsed into the chair, picked up the phone, and forced herself to raise her eyes.

“Hi Chloe.”

“He’s divorcing me, Clark.”

“I know. It was in the paper this morning.”

She rolled her glistening eyes.

“Terrific.”

“Lois said you called yesterday.”

“Yeah. She must think I’m an idiot.”

“No. She’s just really worried.”

“Because I’m alone in prison with no shoulder to cry on over my own gullibility?”

“No. Because you’re on death row and the article said you’d formally declined all further appeals.”

“I have not! I haven’t signed anything!”

“Chloe, your appeal was due in to the judge three days ago.”

Chloe’s jaw dropped in shock.

“But… but my lawyer… he said… Oh my God, Clark what am I going to do?”

Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
and then I see the look in your eyes...

Clark clipped a microphone onto the receiver of his phone and pressed “record” on the tape player in front of him.

“Tell me your story, Chloe.” He pressed his palm against the window. “I won’t let him do this to you.”

Every now and then I fall apart…

Chloe covered her face with her hand, sobs shaking her shoulders. Haltingly, she began to speak. As her tale progressed, her voice strengthened, but her palm never left the outline of Clark’s through the glass.

AlabamaWorley
5th June 2004, 02:58
Every now and then I get a little bit restless
And I dream of something wild…

It all started at the end of junior year. It wasn’t any coincidence that Lex found a way to nail his father at the same time that one of Lionel’s creations nearly got Lana killed. I couldn’t stand all the bulls*** anymore, and I was naïve enough to think I could do something about it with no repercussions. I told Lex everything about his dad’s part in those seven weeks he’d lost while we worked on recovering my voice mail message. We were even able to trace the operator that had erased it in the first place, and she was immediately placed under FBI protection.

I lingered at the door when it was time for me to leave.

“Um, Lex? I noticed you never answered me when I asked if you were going to protect me. Last time… I mean before… you promised you’d keep me safe. Does that still stand?”

Lex shoved his hands in his pockets and .assumed what I had come to think of as his trademark stance.

“Obviously, I can’t even keep myself safe from my father, Chloe.” My disappointment must have registered on my face, because he took a step closer and ran his knuckles down my cheek before continuing. “But I’ll do the best I can.”

Lex gave my dad his job back the following Monday, and even included retro pay for the time he’d been “laid off.” He had a network technician completely inspect the Torch and remove every bit of spyware Lionel had had installed. I felt safer than I had in months… for exactly six days.

Of course, Lionel ended up dying of a liver disease before the case ever made it to court. That didn’t stop him from wrecking my life beforehand.

The first attempt on my life came as I was helping Lana load the last of her luggage into her SUV. I was a teary mess – I’d said goodbye to Pete only a few days before, and now I was losing Lana, too. Sure, she annoyed the hell out of me and stabbed me in the back whenever possible, but she was the closest thing to a girl friend that I had besides my cousins.

Anyway, she was up inside the SUV rearranging things. I think she was stalling, hoping her own personal Ross Gellar was going to arrive at the last minute and stop her from leaving. I guess my would-be .assassin didn’t see her. When he grabbed me and put the chloroform to my face, she whipped out the pepper spray I had presented her with earlier that morning and put him out of commission. I was gracious enough not to be angry with her for getting more of it in my eyes than she did in his. By the time the cops left, she’d missed her flight, but Lex arranged for a private jet to get her to New York in time to get on the plane that was taking her across the Atlantic.

The next try was three weeks later at the Kent Farm. My dad had just gotten my Bug back from the dealer a couple of days before. I had driven to their house to show it off to Clark, then gone in to have some of Mrs. Kent’s fresh-baked cookies. When we came back out, the inside of the car was really hot, so I just leaned in to start it. That was what saved my life.

I still don’t know how Clark came out of it unscathed – he wasn’t standing that far from me. We were both lucky, though. I only had minor burns and a concussion, so the hospital just kept me overnight. My dad wasn’t very happy to find that Lex had managed to talk his way into the my room after visiting hours. Actually, I think he was more upset about the fact that he came in the next morning to find Lex stretched out next to me in the hospital bed, both of us sound asleep. I didn’t have the heart to tell him at that time that I was falling in love. As it turned out, I never got the chance.

AlabamaWorley
5th June 2004, 02:59
Every now and then I get a little bit helpless
and I'm lying like a child in your arms...

I guess the failed attempt to burn down my house was the last straw.

Three weeks before the beginning of my senior year, Lex and Clark entered the Ledger office together. I was just finishing up an article when they stopped in front of my desk.

“To what do I owe the honor?” I asked, standing to greet them with what I hoped was my flirtiest smile... well, honestly, I barely noticed Clark was there. Neither responded with more than a solemn gaze, though, and I suddenly realized the entire office was trying very hard not to look at me... and at Lex, whose shirt was covered with blood.

“Chloe...” Clark choked out. It was all he had to say. I gripped the side of my desk as the room started to sway. I’m not sure what I whimpered, but he was at my side in an instant. Somehow, we left the newspaper.

The next few days are a blur. I stayed with the Kents at first. I think it was Mr. Kent that drew the short straw: he was the one that told me that my father had been gunned down in the parking lot outside of LexCorp as he was leaving work for the day. Lex had actually been talking to him when it happened; he was standing only a few cars away.

The morning of the funeral, Lex’s limousine arrived to take me to the church. He had sent another to pick up my aunt Ellen and her family in Metropolis. I was looking forward to having Lois and Lucy with me, but for the moment it was a strange relief to be alone with Lex, enveloped in the silent, rhythmic sway of the highway.

When the car stopped, I stared at the small graveyard beyond the church. It struck me that Gabe Sullivan was going to be buried under it soon, and I was never going to see him again. My dad, who had loved me and taken care of me, who had been both mother and father to me... they were just going to stick him into a hole in the ground and throw dirt on him, and he’d be left down there to rot. I started to cry, and then suddenly I couldn’t breath, but somehow I was still screaming into my hands. I couldn’t tell if my eyes were open or closed because all I could see was his face.

Lex pulled me close and rocked me gently, softly murmuring words into my hair that I felt more than heard. I guess I was still a little hysterical when I sat up and looked him straight in the eye, but I still remember what I said with crystal clarity.

“Lex, please don’t let them take my daddy away.”

He pushed my head back down to his shoulder and just kept rocking me, but not before I saw his tears. I took comfort in their warmth as they dripped onto my hands.

That night, he insisted that I move into the mansion. I was to have an entire wing to myself to satisfy the Kents and my uncle Sam. Before he went upstairs to bed, he stopped to hug me goodnight. I took a deep breath and big leap, and kissed him. It was a good thing he wanted me to, because I discovered I couldn’t stop.

I never did sleep in that spare wing.

(TBC)

autumngold
5th June 2004, 04:30
This is such a sad, sad story!! I really wish that Lex didn't abandon Chloe at the end!! Please update soon!! I can't wait to read more of Chloe's story!! :chlexsign3:

Shay
6th June 2004, 15:01
Originally posted by autumngold@Jun 4 2004, 09:30 PM
This is such a sad, sad story!! I really wish that Lex didn't abandon Chloe at the end!! Please update soon!! I can't wait to read more of Chloe's story!! :chlexsign3:

I so agree with that. I hate to think that Lex does this to her. Whatever she did, he's suppose to stand by her. Chlex is always suppose to win in the end.

I'm hoping that Lex is the one who has the Total Eclipse of the Heart.

More soon
Shay

AlabamaWorley
10th June 2004, 23:20
Thanks for reading :biggrin: I'm not sure I like the way this turns out... blame it on the song...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every now and then I get a little bit angry
and I know I've got to get out and cry...

The next few months were amazing. I still grieved daily for my father, but I was so happy with Lex, and he spoiled me rotten. In return, I turned out to be a pretty good cook, and I was excellent at supervising the cleaning staff. Mrs. Kent even helped me learn to use the sewing machine I found in one of the many unused suites, and I set to work giving some of the rooms a more feminine feel.

It wasn’t a burning desire to learn to be a Stepford Wife that drove me to be Lex’s happy homemaker. There were certainly just as many meteor freaks as ever roaming the streets of Smallville, and Clark occasionally asked me to help him track some of them down. But I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I turned the Torch, Wall of Weird and all, over to the underclassmen that had been contributing articles, and I stepped completely away. Digging for information got people killed, and I didn’t ever want to feel responsible for the death of someone, loved or not, ever again. Lex assured me that he would pay for whatever college I wanted to attend, but I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and I didn’t see any need to waste his money.

Eventually, the end of the school year rolled around. Lex and I were still keeping our relationship under wraps, so there was no way he could take me to the senior prom. I was thinking I might just go with Clark, but we got word from Lana that she would be back the week before, and I suddenly found myself agreeing to pick out a dress for Clark to surprise her with. Making a mental note to pick out the pinkest piece of fluff I could lay my hands on, I followed a stroke of genius and called Pete. After all, he’d grown up with these people – he deserved to have this last party with them.

The day Lana was due in, I rode with Clark to the airport. He wanted to pick her up alone and woo her with whatever eighteen-year-old boys consider mushy romance, but of course he chickened out at the last minute. Lex was even meeting us there, just for extra backup.

I should have known Lana would have picked up immediately on our private affair. She was one of those girls that had a knack for that sort of thing – she might not have given a damn about other people’s feelings, but she had learned how to recognize them for her own advantage. She didn’t say anything right away, though.

Two days later, I came home from school and tossed my bag in the general direction of the stairs. Lana’s SUV was in the drive, so I made my way back to Lex’s office. I stopped short when I heard the tone of Lana’s voice.

“Lex, I remember the things you said to me before I left. I’ve had a lot of time to think about them, and I... well... I realized I have the same feelings for you.”

I waited, but Lex didn’t respond. Lana continued.

“You know, about how I was such a true person, and, uh, how you enjoyed working with me...” She trailed off, then I heard a crash. I risked a peek around the corner and discovered Lana sitting on the edge of Lex’s desk, her arms and legs wrapped around him, kissing him passionately. I didn’t wait to see what his response was. I had to get out of there.

By the time I reached my car, I was sobbing uncontrollably. I heard Lex calling me, but I didn’t want his excuses. I peeled out of the driveway and headed for the highway.

I’d planned to sleep in Clark’s loft, but Lana was there when I drove by. It was after 2:00 AM when I finally returned to the mansion. Lex was waiting for me in the foyer.

“Where in the hell have you been?”

“I don’t want to talk, Lex.”

He grabbed me and jerked me around to face him.

“But you will listen. I didn’t kiss that little trick, and I certainly didn’t expect her to kiss me. I was just as surprised as you were.”

“Me, surprised? Hardly. What Chloe Sullivan has, Lana Lang must take. First it was Clark, then it was half of my belongings when she lived with me... hell, it was even the Torch at one time. I should have known she’d decide to add you to the list!” I struggled to free myself from the iron grip he had on my arms.

“Then why the fuck are you so mad at me?”

“Because she always gets what she wants, Lex! Now she has you!”

He just stared at me for several seconds before he finally shifted his grip to swing me into his arms.

“What are you doing?” I asked shakily, certain I was about to wind up on the front lawn.

“Showing you just who exactly ‘has’ me,” he growled in reply. We made it about halfway up the steps before I found out.

(TBC)

michelle_19781997
11th June 2004, 01:42
I knew there was a reason I didn't like Lana.

hippiez
11th June 2004, 05:41
Originally posted by michelle_19781997@Jun 11 2004, 07:42 AM
I knew there was a reason I didn't like Lana.
I agree... Just hate her! :rage: wait 'till I have my hands on her! Please update soon... I'm really curious with why Chloe was even in jail in the first place... And if that no-good husband of hers is Lex... Imma kill him too!!! :die: Obviously he has a mental breakdown for wanting to divorce Chloe!

hippiez

autumngold
11th June 2004, 06:23
Please, please promise me that the reason Lex and Chloe aren't together anymore isn't because of Lana!! Please!! Of course, if Chloe is in jail for killing Lana that's ok!! :biggrin: Thanks for the update!! :chlexsign4:

AlabamaWorley
17th June 2004, 20:54
A/N: This part really sucks, and is far from my best work. But, it's song filler. I'll be getting to the real meat of the story in the next few sections, I promise. Anyway, thanks for reading - I love the feedback!
-----------------------------------------------------
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
But then I see the look in your eyes….

Lana didn’t mention anything about her little visit to Lex at the Prom on Saturday night. I wondered if she was just biding her time, or if this fell into the category of things to never discuss again, kind of like impaling people on pitchforks. In any case, I managed to make it through the whole night without speaking to her.

I soon had a whole new reason to be mad at her. The next day, Clark disappeared. It wasn’t like when he ran off to Metropolis before: I knew Mr. and Mrs. Kent had some idea of what was going on because they weren’t in a mad panic like they’d been then. All they would tell me, though, was that I shouldn’t worry.

The former Talon was now a sports bar, and the old theatre had been refurbished to show games on the huge movie screen. Needless to say, I hadn’t set foot in it since. Lana, however, had rented the apartment above it until she found another place to live. After my chat with the Kents, I decided to pay her a visit.

“Chloe!” she said in surprise as she opened the door. I was in no mood for fake pleasantries.

“Where’s Clark?”

“Um… I don’t know. We aren’t seeing each other anymore,” she replied primly.

“Why? What did you do to him?”

“I didn’t do anything to him.” She moved to shut the door in my face, but I could tell I’d hit a nerve. I shoved the door open and walked into the apartment.

“You and I both know that you can’t lie worth a damn, Lana, so cut the shit and tell me what happened or I’ll call Lex and have him send someone to get it out of you.”

She glared at me, but I guess she didn’t have the nerve to see if I was bluffing.

“I found out some things about Clark last night that I was not comfortable with. I told him so, and asked him to stay away from me. It’s not my fault if he took me too literally.”

I gaped at her.

“What did you study at that school? The art of being a bitch? It’s really paid off.”

“Oh, shut up, Chloe. You’re just angry because he chose to confide in me instead of you, even after a year apart.”

I laughed.

“Why, was it part of some romantic declaration? Clark and I are good friends. As you well know, I have someone else now, and he’s not about to leave me for you.”

“Lex wanted me first. If I decide to make him, he’ll want me again. God, your own mother didn’t even want you .”

You can’t stop what you don’t know is coming. I was just as surprised as she was when my fist connected with her jaw. She stumbled backwards and fell, then looked up at me in shock. I simply stared at her for a moment, then turned to leave.

“I’ll see myself out.”

“You’ll never be me, Chloe.”

I almost hit her again just for using such a lame cliché.

“Thank God for that.”

When I got back to the car, it took me a minute to remember why I’d even gone in. Despite my worry over Clark, and despite the throbbing in my hand, I felt good.

My euphoria was short-lived. I had to run a few errands before returning to the mansion, and by the time I got there, the sheriff’s car was parked out front. She was waiting for me in Lex’s office. When I entered, they both rose.

“Chloe, the sheriff says she needs to speak with you.”

“Yes. Miss Sullivan, you’ve been accused of assault. I need to ask you a few questions.”

I saw Lex’s eyebrows raise; I couldn’t bring myself to look at him when he spoke, but his words gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Sheriff Adams, I can assure you that there has been some mistake. Chloe would never lower herself to petty assault.”

“Well, Mr. Luthor, Lana Lang says otherwise. Is there anything you’d like to tell me, Miss Sullivan?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came out. All that came to mind was that Lex genuinely believed that I was above behaving like a trailer park queen...

“Ah, I see,” he cut in again. “Actually, Sheriff, I think I can clear this up for you. Miss Lang was here at the mansion a few days ago. I didn’t want to embarrass her by bringing it to your attention, but she actually attacked me at that time. If there was an altercation between Chloe and her, I’m quite certain she initiated it herself.”

The sheriff gave him a skeptical look.

“Lana Lang hit you?”

“It wasn’t exactly that kind of assault.” When the sheriff simply stared at him slack-jawed, he moved towards the phone on his desk. “I’d be glad to have the security tapes brought up.”

“No, no, that won’t be necessary,” she replied, shaking her head. She turned to me. “Miss Sullivan, I’m going to let you go with a warning, but I suggest you stay away from Miss Lang in the future, and keep your hands to yourself.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I whispered, miserable. When she was gone, Lex came around the desk and took my swelling hand in his.

“We’d better get some ice on this.”

“I guess you’re pretty disappointed in me.”

He grinned at me, his eyes twinkling.

“Hardly. I think that’s the first time I’ve ever had two girls literally fight over me. My ego is thoroughly sated.” I swatted him as he led me to the kitchen and he chuckled. “I’m just glad you won...”

(TBC)

Béatrice
18th June 2004, 00:00
Great update!!! :biggrin: Lana... :hammer:

autumngold
18th June 2004, 01:29
I'm so glad that Lex wasn't mad!! :yay2: I really like this story, but I wish it wasn't in the angst section!! I would like it if Chloe and Lex killed Lana together, got away with it, and lived happily ever after!! Thanks for the update!! :chlexsign4:

AlabamaWorley
19th June 2004, 01:35
A/N: I'm glad you all enjoyed the Lana smackdown - it was kind of fun to write! I usually try to write her as growing up to be a good person, but just this once... :D Thanks for sticking with me!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every now and then I fall apart...

Lionel’s lawyers had stalled his case indefinitely while he was in and out of the hospital. He finally passed away in early July of that year, but not before taking a final swipe at me.

I was lying on the hospital bed in the pre-op area, just staring at the ceiling, when Lex rushed in. I sat up as best I could around the monitors and IVs to let him envelop me in his arms.

I’d gone to the gynecologist earlier that morning because I was having severe cramps and heavy bleeding. I thought maybe I was having a miscarriage, though I’d had no indication I was pregnant; it turned out I’d been poisoned with a drug that was quickly eating away at my ovaries. They were going to do an emergency hysterectomy to prevent damage to my other organs.

I tried to be stoic about the whole thing. Lex and I had never discussed children, and I pretended that I’d never daydreamed about how it would be to have his babies growing inside of me. But I knew in my heart that Lex wanted kids as much as I did, and I couldn’t imagine that he’d want to stay with me if I couldn’t give them to him.

In the days that followed, I didn’t have the emotional strength to drag myself out of bed. Lex alternated between silently worrying over me and throwing himself into his work. Lois came and stayed with me that weekend, but I knew she was at a total loss. Finally, on Monday morning, I called Mrs. Kent and told her what had happened. She came immediately, and returned every day that week. There wasn’t much she could say, but when she cried with me, I knew she meant it.

On Friday afternoon, just before she left, she sat beside me and held my hand.

“I know you’ve tried to keep it secret, but it’s pretty plain that you and Lex are more than just housemates. I can’t imagine that he’s given you his bedroom just because of your condition.” I know I must have blushed purple, but she just shook her head. “No, Chloe, don’t be embarrassed. You’re both like family to me, and I’m so happy you’ve got each other now.” She stopped and took a deep breath. “I only mention it because I know that you are probably afraid right now that he’s not going to want you anymore. I know that, because I felt the same way when Jonathan and I found out that I couldn’t have children.”

I nodded silently, the tears building again.

“I really think you should talk to Lex about it, before you drive yourself crazy. And when you’re talking to him, just remember... Jonathan is still with me, and we have the most wonderful son a mother could ever ask for.” I did my best to smile at her and she hugged me tightly. “Speaking of which, my husband will be wanting his supper soon, so I’d better get home.”

“Thank you Mrs. Kent. I can’t tell you how much it’s meant to me to have you here with me this week.”

She squeezed my hands before she headed for the door.

“Chloe, my family will always be there for you. Please don’t ever forget that.”

After supper, I followed Lex into his office.

“I think we need to talk,” I said, my voice shaking.

“Of course, Chloe, what is it?”

“I just...” I found I couldn’t look at him, and rose to pace the floor. “I know that the fact that I can never have children now probably has changed your opinion of what our relationship has to offer. I just want you to know that if you don’t feel like you want to be with me anymore, I’ll understand. I’m not going to take it to mean that your father won, or anything stupid like that.”

“Chloe, I-”

“No, you don’t have to try to stay with me just because you feel like it’s the right thing to do. I.. um... I thought if I told you that, it might make it easier for you if you were... um... struggling with it.” I stood staring at the bookshelf, my eyes going over and over the titles without really seeing them. The silence seemed to go on forever. Finally, Lex cleared his throat. I nearly jumped out of my skin, because the sound came from directly behind me.

“Chloe?”

“Yes?”

“Turn around.”

I slowly did as he’d asked, and it felt like the weight of the past year all flew off of my shoulders in one giant leap. Lex held a small box in front of him, and when he saw I was watching, he knelt before me.

“I will always love you more than anyone else in the world, no matter what. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, bright eyes.” He faltered for a moment. “Will you marry me?”

I can honestly say that was the happiest moment of my life.
-------------------------------

At this point, Chloe’s voice broke. She stopped for a moment to breathe and Clark paused the recorder.

“Mom never told me any of that,” he said softly.

Chloe shook her head.

“No, she wouldn’t have. It was hard enough for me to share it with Lois, who was my closest friend. Your mom was the only other person I could talk to about it, because I knew she’d understand what I was going through. I… I didn’t want anyone else to know.”

Every now and then I fall apart…

(TBC)

AlabamaWorley
21st June 2004, 23:37
Every now and then I know you'll never be
The boy you always wanted to be…

Years later, I walked onto the balcony of our Metropolis penthouse and placed a fresh cup of coffee in front of my husband. He took it silently, then threw the newspaper down in front of me when I sat down.

“What’s this guy got that I haven’t?” he grumbled. I read the headline: Gotham Playboy Named Corporate Humanitarian of the Year .

“Nothing, baby. He’s probably just paying someone off.”

“No. He isn’t cursed with the Luthor name. Everywhere I go, people expect me to be my father, and they can’t see that I’m a totally different man.”

“They’re learning, though. You’ve almost got the party nomination wrapped up. Who cares about silly awards when they are willing to entrust you with the entire country?”

He stood as his cell phone rang, then bent to kiss my forehead before he answered it.

“What would I do without you?” he asked with a smile. He then turned to his caller. “Luthor. What? Let me guess: Superman again? No... just close down the facility, we’ll have to cut our losses and start over somewhere else. Yes, I realize that, but I can’t be expected to employ the world. A small severance package should be plenty...” He wandered inside, still talking.

But every now and then I know you'll always be
The only boy who wanted me the way that I am...

I could tell by the echo that Pete was calling me from the closet again.

“What’s going on?” I asked, my heart breaking for him.

“Lana just got home from Metropolis. I know she saw Clark while she was there, but she won’t admit it.”

“She did. Lois emailed me while she was at the Planet.”

The sound of Pete’s sigh reverberated over the line.

“I know Clark’s not leading her on. I can’t hold it against him. I just don’t know what to do. It’s like second best isn’t good enough for her anymore.”

“Pete, you are nobody’s second best. If she can’t see what’s in front her, that’s her problem.”

“Right, because you saw it so clearly,” he replied softly.

The silence was nearly deafening, but I was for once at a loss for words. He finally broke it.

“Sorry, Chloe, that was uncalled for. I just... I wish you hadn’t been moving so fast all the time, so determined to be big. If you could have just slowed down for a minute, I could have...” He sighed again. “But then you would have been looking at Clark instead of me.”

“I... I’m sorry, Pete. I don’t know what to say.”

“It’s okay. I know you’re happy with Lex. It’s kind of strange, he and Clark were always like two sides of the same coin. Now they’ve got you and Lois, and you two are just the same.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well... I asked Clark once why he was so hooked on Lois when she was practically a carbon copy of you. He told me it was because with you, it was always about the story, and the people were just building blocks. With Lois, it’s about the people, and the story is built from that. It kind of represents the whole difference between your life philosophies.”

I sat quietly for a minute trying to fathom the difference. Abruptly, I realized what he was trying to say.

“I have to go, Pete.”

“Chloe, wait-”

“I have to go. If you need me to come punch Lana again, let me know.” I hung up the phone and sat staring at the library wall until Lex came in a few minutes later.

“What’s wrong?”

“Do you think I’m the Yin to Lois?”

He looked at me oddly for a moment, then gave me one of his best smirks.

“No. I think you’re the glove to me.” He took the book he was looking for and left the room. Smiling happily, I went on as well.

It never occurred to me that he’d said yes without even meaning to.

(TBC)

asharnanae
21st June 2004, 23:56
:huh: Damn, thats really really good. DAMN. I am kinda weirded out by it actually. damn. Hell, keep going, and dare I say it again, but, Damn. :worship2:

Shay
22nd June 2004, 00:15
How much did I love these update? TTTTTTTHHHHHHIIIIIIIISSSSSSS MMMMUUUUUUUCCCCCCCHHHHH!

I can't wait to see how all this goes. I want to know why Chlex falls apart. I am still hoping that Lex does not divorce her. He told her "I will always love you more than anyone else in the world." That is HUGE. How could he break a promise like that?

More soon
Shay

AlabamaWorley
23rd June 2004, 04:21
A/N: y'all are awesome! I was inspired to write more today with no procrastination whatsoever!
Just a warning, character death incoming... sort of...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every now and then I know there's no one
In the universe as magical and wondrous as you...

Lex must have put more thought into my question than I realized. The next week, he came home in the middle of the day and told me to pack for an overnight stay at the mansion. I was mystified, but I knew he wouldn’t share his surprise until he was good and ready.

Once we arrived, I immediately smelled fresh paint. I followed him up the stairs to the empty suite next to our bedroom.

“Close your eyes,” he said, practically bouncing. Lex rarely got visibly excited about anything, so I knew this had to be big. I did as he asked, and he led me into the room. “Okay, open them.”

I looked around the room in shock. It was decorated as a nursery, one side pink and the other blue.

“What is this?” I whispered.

“The babies will be born in about fourteen weeks, one boy and one girl. The paperwork is already taken care of, they’re ours!” He was smiling broadly, but the longer I stared in silence, the shakier his expression got. Finally he cleared his throat. “Chloe? I thought you’d be happy...”

With tears spilling across my lashes, I threw my arms around him.

“I love you, Lex...”

Every now and then I know
There's nothing any better and there's nothing that I just wouldn't do...

That weekend, we attended a party for Lois’ birthday at her favorite club in Metropolis. Midway through the evening, one of the employees pulled Lex aside. After he’d been gone for some time, I started to worry.

At the back of the club was a corridor that led into some private rooms. Once I’d closed the door to the hallway and walked a few feet, I could hear Lex talking to someone. It was obvious that he was trying to maintain control, but I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was about to lose it. I hurried to the open door and stood just outside listening.

“Scary, isn’t it, Lex? You thought all of your deep, dark secrets were buried, and now they just pop right back up. I could have come clean years ago, but I knew if I waited long enough, the perfect moment would come along.”

“Again: what do you want from me?”

“Want? I want you to suffer as I have, to have your entire life destroyed like mine was. I had a career, a future... and you ended it all in one plane ride. I loved you, Lex!”

“You tried to kill me, Helen.”

The short laugh I heard sounded like it came from the dark depths of a mental ward. I suspected that was where its owner belonged.

“It doesn’t matter now. I know everything about you, not to mention a few little secrets about your old friend Clark Kent. I will ruin you both!”

“Leave Clark out of this!”

“Why should I? It was his damn blood that started all this in the first place. But fine, if you’d rather I go after the skeletons in your new wife’s closet...”

“If you go anywhere near Chloe, I will-”

“You’ll what, Lex? You can’t hurt me anymore. I’ll get you all! You, Clark, Chloe... I even already got your children!” The maniacal laugh was longer this time. My stomach clenched, and I felt the bile rising in my throat.

“What did you say?” Lex asked, his voice hard.

“Your children! I supplied Lionel with the drug that was slipped into Chloe’s food fifteen years ago, and this morning I made sure she'd never see those twins she had her heart set on. I killed them, and I’ll kill Chloe, and you’ll have to live with all of it!”

Helen was screaming by now, but it seemed as though her voice was coming from very far away. That’s why it was such a surprise to me that the shot that reverberated though the corridor was so clear.

I rushed into the room, terrified that she’d killed my husband. Instead, I found Lex pointing a gun at her lifeless body. Before I could speak, I heard the pounding of feet in the hallway.

In the briefest flash of a moment, Lex’s eyes met mine, and they were filled with terror. If he was found guilty of murdering Helen, his future would be over, and she would have won. Without thinking, I snatched the gun from him and shoved him away from her body.

The security guard burst through the doorway.

“What’s going-- Drop your weapon! Ma’am, drop the weapon!” He pointed his gun at me and I screamed. Lex grabbed me and I dropped the gun to bury my face in his chest.

every now and then I fall apart…

“Chloe,” Clark said softly. “Why?”

She took a deep breath.

“I guess some part of me knew without thinking that living without Lex would be like a prison anyway.” Her eyes filled with tears. “I guess I expected him to feel the same.”

every now and then I fall apart…

And I need you now tonight
and I need you more than ever

I could tell by the way my lawyer was talking that they were going to try to get me off by pleading insanity. After several hours at the police station, I was released into the custody of the LuthorCorp psychiatrist.

Once we reached the penthouse, the doctor tried to force me to bed with a tranquilizer. I clutched Lex’s hands desperately.

“Please don’t make me take that, I need to talk to you, I have to think,” I begged. At that point, I probably actually could have used a sedative, but I needed to hear him tell me how everything was going to be okay. He nodded slightly, then turned to the doctor.

“Could you please just give it to me? I’ll make sure she takes it soon.” The doctor handed him the pill without argument and left us.

“Lex, why do they have to think I’m crazy? Why can’t we just tell them everything she said and say it was self-defense?”

He stretched out on the bed and pulled me down beside him.

“Because we have no proof. Besides, there would be too many questions that too many people won’t want to answer.”

“But the… at least the babies…” I nearly choked on the words as the face of the young birth mother I’d met a few days before flashed in my mind, but it was the only solid chance I could think of.

“I’ve already had it checked into. The mother had a sudden contraction while driving, which caused a fatal accident. According to the medical report, she had some complication that no one had spotted previously.” He sighed deeply, rubbing his face. “Three other people were killed in the crash.”

“Well, what about before? Helen tried to murder you, it was all part of the case against your father-”

“Inadmissible in court. I’ve already checked into that as well. This is the only way to go. You have a history of accidental encounters with mind-altering substances. If we argue that the sight of Helen sparked off a flashback and drove you temporarily insane, perhaps the jury will go for it.”

“And perhaps the voters won’t mind?”

He smiled at me sadly.

“Perhaps.” His arms went tightly around me. “Oh, God, Chloe, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Lex. You were just doing what you had to do to keep us all safe." I hugged him tightly. "That’s what makes you such a great leader.”

“And you did what you felt you had to do to protect me. That’s what makes you mine, bright eyes.” He gently stroked my cheek, then bent his head to kiss me.

And if you'll only hold me tight we'll be holding on forever…

When Lex made love to me that night, I felt like nothing could ever tear us apart. Just before I drifted off to sleep, I felt his breath caress my ear.

“I will always love you more than anyone else in the world… no matter what...”

(TBC)

autumngold
23rd June 2004, 06:10
I don't understand what happened between Lex and Chloe? Was it really Lex that killed Helen? Why would Lex divorce Chloe after she went to prison to save him? This story is so sad!! I really wish there could be a happily ever after!! Please update soon!! :chlexsign4:

AlabamaWorley
23rd June 2004, 16:13
Yes, Lex killed her and Chloe took the blame to protect him. If I answer your other question, it will spoil the story ;)

As of now, there are two endings to this - the original one that my head wrote and the alternate one that my heart wrote. I am really struggling with which way it will go. Since it is only a change of the last paragraph or so, I may just post them both. However, there's a little further to go before then.

Thanks for reading - I'm hoping to get this finished today and tomorrow!

Shay
23rd June 2004, 18:35
My vote is that Lex has an Eclipse of the Heart and does NOT divorce Chloe! How could a love like that end in divorce...

“I will always love you more than anyone else in the world… no matter what...”

Then keep your promise Lex!

More soon
Shay

AlabamaWorley
26th June 2004, 16:50
I intended to finish this, but I've been summoned by my mother. I'll get it done this afternoon! I've decided to make the ending a sort of "choose your own adventure." Thanks for reading, keep the feedback coming!! :biggrin:
--------------------------------------------
And we'll only be making it right cause we'll never be wrong
Together we can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time…

The trial is a blur. The only part that really stands out is when the prosecutor made the comment that the timeline of the events that led to Helen Luthor’s death really didn’t make sense if I was the killer.

“Are you sure it was you and not your husband that pulled that trigger, Mrs. Luthor?”

I could have ended it all right there. I could have told them the truth and taken the smaller penalty for perjury and obstruction of justice. I looked at Lex. He was watching me with an expression of such love and trust...

“Of course I’m sure. The fact that I did not know what I was doing does not mean that I don’t remember doing it. I killed Helen Luthor.”

I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark.
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks...

No one was more shocked than I when they announced that I had been found guilty of first-degree murder. Least of all, apparently, my attorney. As the courtroom cleared, he was already rattling off how he would appeal that the prosecution had failed to prove that the murder was premeditated, and that they couldn’t make that charge stick to me.

I looked around for Lex, but he was gone. I faced the explosion of flashbulbs and questions on the courthouse steps alone.

I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight…

I didn’t see Lex again until the night before the sentencing. I know he was thinking of me, though. In interview after interview, I read that he’d had no idea I was the type of person capable of cold-blooded murder, and how glad he was that I’d exposed myself before he got to the White House. He said he believed in the United States one hundred percent, and he was confident that our justice system would make the right decision and punish me to the full extent of the law, just like any other criminal.

I knew the sound of money talking when I heard it. When he came to visit me that last evening, we were shown to a small storage room with no cameras and no guards. There was a small table behind all the boxes that seemed to be where the janitors took their smoke breaks. Lex moved the ashtrays and we sat down.

“Chloe, I’m so sorry this has happened,” he began.

“So sorry that you’ve sold me out in the press and to everyone who will listen?”

He closed his eyes for a moment, then took my hand.

“It has to be this way. If I get caught up in trying to exonerate you and lose the confidence of the voters, this will all have been in vain. I promise, I will make sure you don’t spend much time in prison. I couldn’t stand that anymore than you could.” He pulled a small envelope from his jacket. The small object that spilled out sparkled in the harsh fluorescent lighting. It was my wedding ring.

“I’m going to keep this safe for you, bright eyes.” His voice broke on the familiar endearment, and he pulled me roughly into his arms. “I will always, always, always love you more than anyone else in the world… no matter what…”

Forever's gonna start tonight…

The next day I was sentenced to death by lethal injection. I haven’t seen my husband since.

(TBC)

autumngold
26th June 2004, 17:10
I'm so glad you updated this story!! I can't believe that Chloe is having to go through so much pain because she loves Lex so much!! Poor baby!! :crygreen: I hope that the thought of Chloe haunts Lex for the rest of his life!! :crygreen:

mgabri
26th June 2004, 17:58
Thanks for the update :biggrin: But seriously Lex has got a lot of explaining to do, Chloe is in freaking death row!!!!!!! What the hell all to further his career. This is the angst section..... :crygreen:

LaLa
26th June 2004, 22:56
who else want to violently bash lex's head with a very pointy and heavy object?...no? I KNOW i'm not the only one here!

UPDATE...and make things right, damnit!

xxooo LaLa

Shay
27th June 2004, 05:55
Originally posted by LaLa@Jun 26 2004, 04:56 PM
who else want to violently bash lex's head with a very pointy and heavy object?...no? I KNOW i'm not the only one here!

UPDATE...and make things right, damnit!

xxooo LaLa
Damn right! Lex that ass! He better be coming up with a plan to get her out of there. REMEMBER YOUR PROMISE LEX. Looks to me like you love your rise to the Presidency more that you do Chloe.

AAAHHHHH! I'm losing my mind. FIRST DEGREE...she did not premeditate. Crime of passion maybe...but not first degree. Where is the justice? Where is the love? Where the hell is Lex?

Get back here and update with a happy...UNangstfilled ending.

Shay

AlabamaWorley
27th June 2004, 06:12
You guys crack me up! Thanks so much for reading and for the feedback.

Okay, here's where you choose your own adventure. The original ending is more canon-based and sticks to the song, in my opinion. The alternate ending is somewhat AU, depending on what you choose to believe happens after it's done.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy! :)
--------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL ENDING

Once upon a time I was falling in love but now I'm only falling apart.
There's nothing I can do - a total eclipse of the heart…

After Clark left, Chloe numbly allowed herself to be led back to her cell. Up until the moment she had begun to tell her story, she had believed that it was all a mistake, that Lex really was going to save her and that it would all be over soon. When the guard was gone, she stumbled to the corner of her cell, where she fell to the floor racked with sobs.

Her heart still screamed in outrage at her betrayal of his trust and his love, but her head had finally eclipsed it. It didn’t matter anymore, though, because both were broken. It was over.

Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark.
Nothing I can say - a total eclipse of the heart…

Chloe watched the news anxiously, but Clark’s story never ran. The weeks passed swiftly, and the eve of her execution arrived.

She lay facing the wall in her darkened cell, her eyes closed and her ears shutting out the nighttime noises of the prison. For this final evening, she was somewhere else entirely. She was home again, at the mansion, cold reality the furthest thing from her mind. Sunlight streamed in through the windows and Lex opened his arms to her, he told her he loved her, and he meant every word. She lost herself in his scent, the brush of his lips against hers, the way her skin felt against his… and when she finally drifted off to sleep, she was at peace.

A loud noise woke her an hour later. She recognized it as the creaking of the bars of her cell, though it seemed she’d never heard them complain so loudly at the pressure of being opened. Her stomach clenched in fear – she had asked them not to tell her what time they would come for her to prepare her for the execution, but she hadn’t realized it would be this soon. Clutching her pillow in terror, she squeezed her eyes shut tight.

She should have known it was him. It was always him.

“Chloe… Chloe, turn around…”

EPILOGUE

The night before Chloe’s sentencing, Lex sat in his office in Metropolis contemplating a very large bottle of Scotch. He planned to drink all of it before the night was over, but he had some things that needed to be done first. The attorney entered the room.

“Mr. Luthor, the sentencing is tomorrow. I need some input from you on what we should ask for from the judge.”

Lex sighed. He knew this question was coming, and to him there was only one answer.

“I can’t bear to think of my wife sitting in that prison for the rest of her life. It’s not what she would want.” He took a deep breath. “Urge them to prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law.”

The attorney nodded silently.

“Also, I need you to arrange a very private meeting for us tonight. No cameras, no witnesses.”

“Are you sure that’s wise, Mr. Luthor?”

Lex bit the inside of his lip hard. He would not break down in front of this man.

“I need to say goodbye.”

a total eclipse of the heart...

(END)

ALTERNATE ENDING

Once upon a time I was falling in love
but now I'm only falling apart.
There's nothing I can do - a total eclipse of the heart…

After Clark left, Chloe numbly allowed herself to be led back to her cell. Up until the moment she had begun to tell her story, she had believed that it was all a mistake, that Lex really was going to save her and that it would all be over soon. When the guard was gone, she stumbled to the corner of her cell, where she fell to the floor racked with sobs.

Her heart still screamed in outrage at her betrayal of his trust and his love, but her head had finally eclipsed it. It didn’t matter anymore, though, because both were broken. It was over.

Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark.
Nothing I can say - a total eclipse of the heart…

Chloe watched the news anxiously, but Clark’s story never ran. The weeks passed swiftly, and the eve of her execution arrived.

She lay facing the wall in her darkened cell, her eyes closed and her ears shutting out the nighttime noises of the prison. For this final evening, she was somewhere else entirely. She was home again, at the mansion, cold reality the furthest thing from her mind. Sunlight streamed in through the windows and Lex opened his arms to her, he told her he loved her, and he meant every word. She lost herself in his scent, the brush of his lips against hers, the way her skin felt against his… and when she finally drifted off to sleep, she was at peace.

A loud noise woke her an hour later. She recognized it as the creaking of the bars of her cell, though it seemed she’d never heard them complain so loudly at the pressure of being opened. Her stomach clenched in fear – she had asked them not to tell her what time they would come for her to prepare her for the execution, but she hadn’t realized it would be this soon. Clutching her pillow in terror, she stared fearfully at the shadow on the wall.

Though she’d never seen it in person, she’d recognize the silhouette of that cape anywhere. That’s why it was such a surprise to hear the voice she longed for more than any other in the world.

“Turn around, bright eyes…”

EPILOGUE

a total eclipse of the heart...

The night before Chloe’s sentencing, Lex sat in his office in Metropolis contemplating a very large bottle of Scotch. He planned to drink all of it before the night was over, but he had some things that needed to be done first. The attorney entered the room.

“Mr. Luthor, the sentencing is tomorrow. I need some input from you on what we should ask for from the judge.”

Lex sighed. He knew this question was coming, and to him there was only one answer.

“I can’t bear to think of my wife sitting in that prison for the rest of her life. It’s not what she would want.” He took a deep breath. “Urge them to prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law.”

The attorney nodded silently.

“Also, I need you to arrange a very private meeting for us tonight. No cameras, no witnesses.”

“Are you sure that’s wise, Mr. Luthor?”

Lex bit the inside of his lip hard. He would not break down in front of this man.

“I need to say goodbye.”

The night before Chloe’s execution, Lex sat on the enclosed balcony of the penthouse, his thoughts years in the past. He was so focussed on his memories that he didn’t hear the sound at the sliding doors, nor did he see Pete Ross slip into the shadows and disappear. The nearly inaudible step of the soft red boots behind him would have gone unnoticed as well had the cape not brushed lightly against his back. He started, then turned.

“What do you want?” he asked, his voice flat.

“Are you just going to let her die?”

“There’s nothing more I can do. I’ve offered my fortune to everyone I can think of, and no one can help her now. It’s better to end her suffering than let her rot in prison.” He spoke in a monotone, as if he’d fed himself the excuse so many times it no longer held any significance.

“You mean no one that can help her without damaging your chances in the election.” Superman’s voice was ice cold.

“Believe it or not, I’ve spent the past 48 hours trying to free her at any cost. I… I made a terrible mistake. I just want her back… and now it’s… now it’s too…” He trailed off as his shoulders began to shake with pent-up sobs.

Superman laid his hand on Lex’s shoulder. Despite everything that had happened, he had once called this man brother. Maybe this was a turning point; even if it wasn’t, he was going anyway…

“Come on, Lex. Let’s go save the day.”

(END)

asharnanae
27th June 2004, 17:22
:biggrin: DAMN! Loved both endings. Not sure which one I would pick, both have there lures. both are fantastic. well donr indeed. :chlexsign2:

autumngold
27th June 2004, 17:23
Lex is such a jerk in your story!! What right does he have to feel bad after everything that happened was his fault? He murders Helen, lets Chloe take the rap, forces the death penalty on her, divorces her, and doesn't let her lawyers file an appeal. Poor Chloe, I'm glad she was able to escape reality in the end!! This is such a good story, but so sad!! :crygreen: Now, I have to go cry!! :crygreen:

AlabamaWorley
27th June 2004, 18:02
Thanks for reading! :biggrin: I couldn't decide which ending I liked better either, which is why I ended up writing both. Lex is a complete ass by the end of the story, but I was kind of going by some things that happened in the comics to build him that way. I tried to blend it with him becoming more like his father than he would ever dare to admit, which meant his ambition had to eclipse his heart, so to speak. It was kind of difficult to write, because I usually think of Chloe as being killed before Lex reaches that point, and of her death as being a catalyst for his fall to the dark side. Having Chloe there to witness his decline and fall victim to it was fairly heart-breaking to conceive, which was why I started imagining the happier ending once I started reading the feedback I got here. It leaves the door open for redemption.

Shay
28th June 2004, 01:23
I'm not sure which one I like better. I like to think that Superman saves his friend. Then again the original ending is more close to Lex. It hurts to think he would let her spend anytime in prison, but knowing who...rather how he is. I can see it.

Great Fic

Shay

pipersmum
14th November 2005, 12:14
That was really sad i didn't like the first ending, i prefered the second one but thats cos i like happy endings.

Donutte
15th November 2005, 21:21
'Bama, darling, this story was incredible! I have to say I preferred the first ending. Call me strange, but I like endings that evoke an emotional response from me. Even if they do make me cry :(. That was so sad, 'Bama! But I love that song; I didn't even realize which song it was till the end (although the title should have given it away).

"I need to say goodbye."

Ok, start the waterworks. *sigh* 'Bama, wonderful story. And, I miss you!!!! Hope to talk to you soon :)

Do'

starmoon
18th November 2005, 19:50
this story is so sad and i hate lana so much i want her to die. i like the secind ending much the first one had me crying for a while. everytime i read the first ending i get misty eyes and have to take a break. i am glad in the second ending that clark helps chloe so she can be free and with lex for the rest of there lives.

bether05
19th November 2005, 12:16
i love the second ending better....much better...if i was chloe, in the first ending, i'd get a pen and go to the line on the divorce papers where the wife signs and write "see you in h#!!..." then after clark has sprung me i'd go make him pay....love the song too!!! {it gives me the creeps though} ever since i heard it played in urban legions, which also stars micheal rosenbaum...aka lex.....but, that's wayyyyy off topic, love your story! love your work!

Kaie
19th November 2005, 21:43
I like the second ending, much better. great use of the song, it really worked well with the story. loved the story.

spaceboi's pixie
29th November 2005, 14:56
great fic like both ending but loved the last one the best as i like happy ending lol tina

Trudine
27th December 2005, 06:38
I like your story alot,but lex sucked lol. I liked the second ending a little bit more, but they were both great.

jagged
25th February 2006, 09:14
i like the last ending best. kinda open ended. it gives lex a chance

Ami Rose
1st May 2017, 14:56
Wow I'm speechless and I almost cried