PDA

View Full Version : Unconditional Love (PG)

Gea
12th February 2004, 00:50
Rating: PG
Summary: after her father’s death, Chloe’s life becomes a quest for love.
Category: angst. A lot. I mean *a lot*.
Spoilers: up to Asylum.
Disclaimer: everything belongs to the respective owners.

A/N: there’s a reference to Mnemosyne who, for those not familiar with Greek mythology, is the personification of memory.

To Aimee, whose help made this readable. Also, to Sara: happy b-day! And Sa:*mwah*

Unconditional Love

Plick. Plick. Plick.

Chloe was staring at the tap.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

Dropping her head back on the edge of the bathtub with a slow, tired motion, she hoped with all her might for the headache that had been plaguing her since morning to let her be.

“Just be patient.” She told herself.

She wished she’d left the window open to fight the stifling summer sultriness, even more so from the humidity of the hot water filling the bathtub, but she’d rather the flies stayed out.

Looking out of the open door she could see plenty of pictures covering the corridor wall, taken as memories of a particular event or just of an every day smile.

If her father had been alive there would have been a picture of her in the carefully planned elegance of a spring formal dress together with the handsome Mark Walden. Mark had asked, she had refused and the dress had stayed in the closet. In the end she had found something else to do that night.

If her father had been alive there would have been a lot more pictures. But this wasn’t the case. Her father was dead. If. If. If. How many ‘ifs’ had she thought in those months, not wanting to believe that wishes didn’t change reality. A heart attack was much more real than whatever prayer she might have said in those five months as an orphan. Her mother sure hadn’t changed her mind on the relationship she broke off twelve years before. Despite being the one person in the world who should have, she hadn’t loved her daughter then, she never had. The Kents had had her guardianship until three months before her emancipation petition had been accepted, with no opposition from the woman who was still, as far as law was concerned, her mother, but who didn’t even spare her a call. A paperwork matter, really, with Gabe’s first rate life insurance, Lex’s lawyers and Judge Ross’ support. She had been living on her own since.

Chloe had researched; she’d wanted to know how much Gabe had suffered, if he had realized what was happening. Oh yes. Gabe had had all the time to be taken from the plant to the hospital; he had held on as long as he could repeating his daughter’s name like a mantra, but not long enough for Chloe to arrive from school. She had said goodbye to an inanimate corpse.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

The headache was finally subsiding. The silence was probably helping. She wondered for how long she would be alone in the house. She didn’t have that many visitors these days. A while back Lana, who by then was compelled to uproot from Smallville and move in with Nell, had planned to spend the following week of the holidays with Chloe, but she wouldn’t be coming anymore after the previous week’s developments. All considered, no one had a reason to knock on her door. Maybe the postman for a registered letter, but that would imply a sender too.

Martha had checked up on her the day before. Just a call, no longer than twenty very awkward seconds, but surprising nonetheless, considering neither Clark, nor Pete, nor Lana, nor Jonathan, nor Martha herself had addressed a single word or glance to her since the week before. A week to the day, when in an uncontrollable crying crisis she had confessed to Clark that she was working for Lionel Luthor, and Clark hadn’t listened to anything else. And as she’d searched for the words to explain that she hadn’t gotten those bruises by falling down the stairs, the door had already been slammed in her face.

Still, Martha had called. Strange thing is the maternal instinct. Chloe put a hand on her belly. “It’s probably genetically lacking in my family.”

Plick. Plick. Plick.

“Plick. Plick. Plick.“ She whispered, a little more than a sigh. She was still deciding if it was an annoying or a comforting sound.

Opening to slits the eyes she hadn’t realized she’d closed, she tried to focus on one particular picture between the many. If she’d wanted to stop on each of them, she could have gone through the story of her life; it was all there. Her, more or less at seven, sulking and waiting under the tree in which the neighbour’s cat had found refuge; but not before jumping on her head and scratching her while running from her attempts to have it in the right pose for a picture to go with her article in the school paper. She would have gotten rid of the embarrassing memento a long time ago, had her father not smiled every time he passed it. The last birthday party in Metropolis. Her trying to keep her father upright on the skating rink. Ah, here it was. The party for the third anniversary of the Talon resurrection. Lana with a proud smile, Clark and Pete, strangely enough, side by side with Lex.

Lex.

In the hours after her father’s death, while Chloe had been trying to tune out the voices of a sobbing Lana who’d been explaining how to face the pain from her experience of losing both parents, of Clark and Pete who hadn’t stopped asking what could they do and offering suffocating hugs to her and her roommate, of Jonathan who’d been spouting platitudes on what a great person Gabe had been, of Martha who’d been insisting she eat, Lex had come in and done something that managed to penetrate the fog wrapped around her. He’d taken her hand, excused them, taken her upstairs and on the second try he’d found her bedroom. The closed door behind them, a look between them. Chloe had seen the understanding of someone who knew what it meant to lose the only person who loved you unconditionally, and realizing it. When he’d offered her an embrace, she’d accepted it, long and silent.

In spite of everything that had happened between them afterwards - the phone calls in the middle of the night, the coffees at the Talon, the meetings in his study, the nights in his bed – Chloe was sure that hug had been the only moment of genuine intimacy between them, in which Lex had just been Lex, honest, straight, sincere.

There had been displays of affection. She’d received it from Lex, but never love, because the latter needed trust to be born. An abused dog will not let people caress him anymore. As it was undeniable that Lex enjoyed her company, however concealed from the outside world, all the same Chloe had understood he wouldn’t ever trust anyone completely again. That’s why she’d never asked if that afternoon he’d run back from Metropolis to her house out of respect he’d felt for Gabe, or because she’d been Clark’s friend, or he’d been trying to keep the promise to protect her, pronounced in seven weeks that Chloe deep down was convinced had never been forgotten or at least had been remembered. She believed that if Lex wanted to know something, he would find the means to, whatever they might be. He would’ve never been satisfied with the half-truths he’d been fed; he’d never been deterred by walls of silence before. He had too many completely innocent but extraordinarily appropriate questions and satisfied smirks, a drive too staunch, for Chloe to accept that he didn’t know what happened. Not that she could prove her theory, and by no means had she wanted to, nor had she asked him because she didn’t want to hear more lies than necessary while being looked straight in the eye.

If Lex had really wanted to pretend, she’d chosen not to oppose to it. So as a self proclaimed Mnemosyne, Chloe had told him the entire story of how she’d surrendered to anger and temptation, offered him again information on Lionel, Morgan Edge and his grandparents. And she’d listened and nodded when the offer had come, this time different; simply protecting her hadn’t seemed to fit the necessity of the situation. He’d told her to keep on working for his father, pretending to double-cross Lex to gain further news on Clark; and lastly, to actually deepen the investigation on their common friend. Obviously they would have had to decide together what to pass on to Lionel to keep him quiet and she had to follow his lead. After all Lex had been at this his entire life; he knew how to play the game.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

And then it happened. The moment she’d set foot back in the mansion, under shock, with bruises she would later justify with a fall down the stairs and the smell of Lionel and alcohol on her, Lex had listened to her. She’d seen anger in his eyes while she’d tried to control her broken voice, but after a firm but fleeting embrace, the veil had been drawn again. Keeping a steady grip on her shoulders, he’d held her gaze and promised his father would never come near her again. He had called a doctor of his acquaintance in order to examine her and collect evidence. The cold instruments had violated her again for proof that she had known would have been bargain material. The blinding flashes of a camera had recorded every bruise on her body; Lex had asked for photographs that would have served as his ace. She hadn’t said a word. She hadn’t cared that he’d taken all the proofs and that she wouldn’t get public justice. The meaning of Lex’s request had been crystal clear to her: she was to be the icing on the cake he’d been patiently cooking for years.

Lionel had never tried to contact her again. Chloe was sure that the reason was, more than Lex’s threats, the disgust he was feeling for himself to have let rage for finding out she’d been deceiving him and far too much alcohol make him lose control. Therein lay the reason why Lex had also wanted the photographs: in exchange for a painless abdication, he was leaving Lionel out of prison, while at the same time safeguarding the Luthor name, but he would not let the opportunity to exploit his father’s guilt and rub salt into a very much open wound pass him by.

Chloe didn’t need to check her monthly bank statements to know there’d be a substantial crediting. Together with that, came admittance letters from colleges all over America and Europe, to whom she’d never sent applications.

Three days later Lionel Luthor had publicly announced his retirement from the business scene and his beloved son Lex as the new Luthorcorp CEO, who with his leadership would undoubtedly bring the corporation to a new era of prosperity. The picture of father and son clasping hands had graced every newspaper front page.

None of those hands had touched her ever again.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

Seeing two blue lines showing her the day after pill wasn’t one hundred percent effective and Clark slamming the door in her face without giving her time to explain all that had happened, Chloe was sure of two facts: one, she would never be alone anymore because there was a growing little creature inside of her, who was going to love her unconditionally from its first breath. Two, she would forever hate it with every fibre of her being.

She’d been searching for love, she’d found it too late, because she was no longer able to love back.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

Slowly, using her arms as leverage, she leaned forward until she reached the tap. In the mess that was her life, she wanted everything to be in order. As much as possible, given the actual circumstances. The dishes were done, the clothes washed and ironed, the house was cleaned and tidied like it had been on the day they had moved in. Who would have ever thought she had it in herself to be the perfect housewife? In the misted full length mirror beside the bathtub she caught a glimpse of her little satisfied smile as she stopped, with a firm turn, the seeping water. The vague reflection of her face on the glass was cut in half by a small drop of condensed water trickling down. Chloe tried to follow its lazy zig zagging pattern as it made its slow descent, but the heat rising from the edges of the bathtub lent a steamy, hazy feel to the room, making it hard to concentrate on it. Even the details of the wrought bronze frame of the mirror were blurred. The stifling humidity, while constrictive, at the same time made her want to lean back and relax into its embrace. Closing her eyes, she let go of her hold and slid backwards, creating small waves in the darkened water.

Plick. Plick. Plick.

In the last second before losing consciousness she asked herself how much longer the blood would have kept on dripping from her slashed wrists. Too late to research it now.

Plick. Plick. Pl...

Elviriel
12th February 2004, 01:06
:crygreen: oh my god that was wonderful. The way you wrote what Chloe was feeling was beautiful. I even cried ! I love it, totally.

Jenmar
12th February 2004, 02:20
Very, very angsty but also very well done. It is very dark subject matter but the story you wrote was very evocative and emotional. Excellent work.

hfce
12th February 2004, 03:09
Wow :crygreen:

Hope :crygreen:

MissMed03
12th February 2004, 03:15
Oh my God that was so sad! I really feel for Chloe in this fic. I mean losing your dad is one thing and being raped is equally bad if not worse, but being raped... by Lionel, that's moldy icing on an already rotten cake (nice analogy huh, i rather liked it myself). Anyway I love the way it was written, when I heard "darkened water" I was like Oh my goodness she slit her wrists. Great job!

vardaquareien
12th February 2004, 03:33
Wow! That was...wow!!! So heartbreaking! Poor Chloe.

carebear72884
12th February 2004, 03:38
:crygreen: :crygreen: :crygreen: wow, you went kidding, that was really really sad, but wonderful all the same, i hope to god that Lex saves her. :crygreen: :crygreen:

georgee5
12th February 2004, 04:28
Even though there wasn't much ChLex interaction, I think you caught the Luthor men perfectly. Lex's drive to suceed is everything to him, and Chloe knew the only way she could get away from him intact, was for there to be nothing there for him to get.

ColumbiaBlue
12th February 2004, 04:55
In the last second before losing consciousness she asked herself how much longer the blood would have kept on dripping from her slashed wrists. Too late to research it now.
I was waiting for it the entire fic. After a couple of lines I had a feeling... :crygreen:

This was *so* good. Heartbreaking, but good. Lionel: rot in hell. Lex... ugh. Clark's a bastard. Jonathan's always a prick. Lana's a stupid attention/pity whore. Martha... I would've expected better from her but... Pete should've known better.

Poor Chloe.

~Manda

autumngold
12th February 2004, 07:30
Originally posted by georgee5@Feb 12 2004, 03:28 AM
Even though there wasn't much ChLex interaction, I think you caught the Luthor men perfectly. Lex's drive to suceed is everything to him, and Chloe knew the only way she could get away from him intact, was for there to be nothing there for him to get.
:crygreen: Poor Chloe, Lex just used her as a way to get even with his father!! And the sad thing is he won't even really care about her death!! Such a sad story, good, but sad!! :crygreen:

Clannadlvr
12th February 2004, 08:19
G, you slay me! This is absolutely fantastic. You've shown Chloe being used by those in her life, broken, and willing to end it all...it's heartbreaking and utterly believable. Your portrayal of Lex and Lionel, the consumate users and abusers, was so true to form and added just the right amount of darkness to this fic.

One of the most interesting aspects of this fic, I feel, is your repetition of the sounds "plick, plick, plick." At first it just seems like the water dripping out of the tap...then that transforms so that it seems like it is Chloe's very life dripping out of her. Utterly chilling.

Also, that Chloe takes her life in front of the pictures chronicling the happier life she'd had with her father...gosh, G. You had me in tears.

So to sum it up, this is a chilling, moving, and heartbreaking portrait of someone who has lost everything. Amazing job!!

BlushingRose
12th February 2004, 09:19
Few works of fiction (TV, movies, stories, books) have ever moved me to tears.

This one did.

This story captures the true definition of the word "Angst". It was an exceptional piece of writing.

RA

sylvia
12th February 2004, 15:02
Damn that was amazing work. I love the way you wrote Chloe's thoughts, and how she remembers and analyses the actions of those around her, Lex especially. Nice and angsty.

Lel
12th February 2004, 15:06
I have very little to add to what has already been said about this fic but I just wanted you to know that I also thought that this was a truly moving piece of writing.

happy bunny
13th February 2004, 04:33
http://tere-art.com/creative/images/smiles/jawdrop.gif Oh, wow. Everything I wanted to say has already been said, mostly by Clannadlvr, but I just wanted you to know how amazing this is. Really, really well done and definitely something I'll reread when an angsty mood strikes me.

§åß®îNå
13th February 2004, 20:07
so so so so sad G! but i love how u wrote this story, from beggining to end
lionel and lex! oh my... great characterization (is that a word? :huh:) it reminded me they r not simple ppl to play with, so dangerous... too bad chloe got caught between their endless war.

Plick. Plick. Pl...
when i read this i couldnt believe it... part of me wanted her to be recued by Lex, but it was amazing how u ended it.

mwahs to you too bambina!

Susie Q
13th February 2004, 22:06
That was absolutely amazing Gaia! http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/radosnice.gif Unfortunately, my thoughts and emotions are just too all over the place for me to piece together a coherent review so I’m going to cheat and reference H’s post *points to Clannadlvr's comments* which so expertly sums up my own sentiments. And again, let me just say….remarkable job! http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/hellotriste.gif

starmoon
14th May 2005, 22:41
so very sad i wish chloe would have lived and moved on in life she deserved that and so much more.

darkangel
5th July 2005, 05:24
This is such a sad story.

Wow. Hurt and used by both father and son.

pipersmum
14th November 2005, 03:00
Poor Chloe everyone abandoned her when she needed them most. Used and abused by both Luthors, Lex should hang his head in shame!
A very touching story it brought tears to my eyes very well written.

Goldielocks
14th November 2005, 23:42
i love this master peace-.....i was wondering if there is by any chance a sequel to this story...2 find out who the father might be

starmoon
21st November 2005, 22:16
i love this story and agree with others that there should be a sequel. i want to see things from lex's point of view and everyone's elses.

spaceboi's pixie
29th November 2005, 14:29
me too i think that a sequel would be great maybe someone could save chloe and we find out who is the babys daddy anyway it was great but sad tina

Kaimore
11th December 2005, 02:04
The saddest part was were she said she was just the icing on the cake he had been bakeing for years. Then there is the fact that this story is really beliveable.

This is a great stand alone story but I like happy endings, and I want to see Clark feel horriable and guilty about everything.

Kikina
29th December 2005, 15:26
You didn´t have to make me cry, you know.But it was REALLY well written. :clapclap: :clapclap: :clapclap:

Thaís
11th January 2006, 04:42
Oh, my God...
Someone will find her, right?!?!
Whose baby is that???? Let's hope with all our strenght it's Lex's...
And there will be a sequel, right??
Well, just keep this wonderful job, ok??

darkangel
23rd September 2006, 10:31
wow, poor chloe

SVfan1286
24th October 2007, 07:58
That was so utterly sad and heartbraking to read. I feel Chloe's pain and despair...First her father dying, and then being used and abused by both Lex and Lionel and finally being abanded by the Kent's and Lana.

Wonderfully written!!

I would have loved a sequel showing everyones reactions to Chloe's death.

SouthernChlex
5th February 2011, 01:22
I curse this version of Lex to the deepest bowels of Hell. Lionel too. Lionel first and foremost actually. So so sad. I didn't even see it coming. Incredible.

Ami Rose
11th February 2015, 01:29
Wow!