Dannyblue
11th February 2004, 21:03
Title: Keeping Score (1/1)
Author: Dannyblue
Email: dannyblue2@yahoo.com
Summary: A dangerous game.
Rating: PG-13
Pairings: Chloe/Lex.
Disclaimer: SMALLVILLE and its characters do not belong to me. No infringement is intended, no profit is made.
Distribution: All you have to do is ask.

Lex was keeping score.

Leaning back in his chair, he forced his body to relax. He took a sip of the coffee he didn’t really want, glanced at his laptop without really seeing what was on the screen.

Sitting his coffee cup down, he glanced back up. Chloe was still smiling at the boy who was approaching her table. And he was a boy. Tall and gangly, all arms and legs. Wide-eyed and fresh-faced.

And Chloe’s smile grew wider, like she was truly happy to see him.

In Lex’s mind, another strike appeared on an imaginary chalk board. The board had filled out quite a bit lately. He was almost running out of space.

The boy sat down, too awkwardly tall to do so with any kind of grace. But Chloe didn’t seem to notice. Still smiling that smile that appeared like sunshine through rain clouds, she leaned across the table to be heard over the noise of the Talon. As good an excuse as any. When the boy reached out to rest his hand on top of hers, she didn’t pull away.

And another strike appeared on the board.

Elbow resting on the arm of the chair, Lex pressed his fist against his lips. Outwardly, he appeared calm, relaxed. But his jaw was clenched tight, the tension running down his neck. And the deep breath he took didn’t relieve the pressure he felt building inside.

They were both leaning across the table now, chatting happily, like two young people in the first stages of…

Lex’s thoughts stumbled to a stop. He wouldn’t call it love. How could someone like her—so bright, and smart, and complex—truly be interested in someone so dull and simple. No, he’d forgive her feelings for Clark—whatever they were—before he could accept that.

But they were still holding hands. She was still smiling that smile.

He really was running out of space.

Mind wandering, Lex considered the strikes that adorned his board. Or should he call them gashes. These weren’t simple marks made in white chalk. These were slashes, like someone had taken a knife and stabbed at the board, trying to make it bleed.

These were for the times he’d caught her gazing at Clark, a look of wistful regret on her face. Like she was thinking of what might have been, what a part of her still wanted to be. Oddly, those gashes weren’t too deep. He’d gotten used to those looks she occasionally gave Clark long before they had the power to bother him.

These were for the little flirtations that seemed to come to her so easily. A little deeper, even though he knew those flirtations didn’t mean any more to her than the boys she flirted with. Still, there was a slash for every coy glance. A gash for every teasing smile.

The slashes had gotten much deeper since she started…dating this boy. Gazing at him with wide, hopeful eyes, and bright, cheerful smiles. And the board looked like a living, wounded thing, huge pieces of it hacked away. Ready to pounce on the cause of its pain. To make them suffer just as hard, just as deep.

Maybe once the board was full, once there was no space left.

Suddenly, she stood, moved to the seat that put her closer to the boy’s. She was now facing away from him, so all Lex could was the shimmery gold of her hair. As the two leaned into each other, Lex’s hands balled into fists, nails digging into the palms of his hands. His eyes bored into her back, ice blue lasers cold enough to burn.

Of course, it wasn’t fair. She didn’t know the rules of the game. She didn’t even know they were playing. Or what would happen when she lost.

Lex wasn’t sure what would happen either. He just knew the weight in his chest was getting heavier, and angrier. All of her innocent little betrayals had cut deep enough to make him bleed inside, and there were so many ways to make her pay. He knew because he’d spent hours dreaming, counting. They were stark and vivid, his constant companions through those long nights when he couldn’t sleep.

When the board was full, he wondered which one he’d choose.

Chloe was standing at the counter, waiting for her order to be filled, when she realized she didn’t have her purse.

“Damn!” she muttered. Shaking her head, she turned to head back to the table…

And collided with the body standing behind her.

Startled by the impact, she staggered back. But a hand grabbed her arm, and helped to steady her.

“Are you okay?” a man’s voice asked.

“Yeah, I…” Then she looked up into a familiar face. “Oh, hey, Lex. Sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He smiled, but it didn’t seem to reach his eyes. In fact he seemed a little angry.

Of course he does, Sullivan, she thought. You almost bowled the man over.

Chloe stepped back until his hand fell away from her arm. She was surprised to feel her arm throbbing. Absently, she rubbed her bicep. She could almost feel the imprint of Lex’s hand on her flesh.

Then again, by grabbing her, he’d kept her from falling on her butt, so she wasn’t going to complain.

“Sorry again,” she said. Giving him an apologetic smile, she walked around him.

Lex took a deep breath, breathing in the scent that lingered on the air. It was citrusy and sweet, full of light and energy. Just like her.

Turning, he watched her hurry back to the table. Back to the boy with the wide eyes and fresh face. And the weight in his chest grew heavier. There was another stab deep inside, drawing more blood.

There were so many ways to make her pay.

Maybe he’d try them all.

THE END

Gea
11th February 2004, 21:18
Oh wow!

Great the description of the marks on the board. He noticed every little thing. Obsessive Lex is always interesting.

And the ending, :shivers:

Gaia

carebear72884
11th February 2004, 21:37
wow, he is really upset, why are you spending time with that dumb farmboy chloe?? isn't it ovious that a bald billionare is head over heels for you?? what are you thinking?? ahhhhhh, stupid chloe

MissMed03
11th February 2004, 22:38
Damn that was like... WHOA! I mean there were no words. Lex was a little bit more than scary in this. He's really obsessed with her.You have a great writing style. I really liked it.

hfce
11th February 2004, 23:00
Wow Lex was really scary in this one. EEk!!! :huh:

Hope :cool:

autumngold
11th February 2004, 23:15
Lex is so intense in this story!! I love how even he admits that Chloe doesn't know they are playing this game! Excellent story, is there a sequel in the works? I would love to hear Chloe's reaction to Lex's game!! :chlexsign3:

ColumbiaBlue
11th February 2004, 23:55
:huh: :ohmy: :unsure: Woah. Excellent, but woah.

~Manda

LarkLuthor
12th February 2004, 00:07
That was just so......breathtaking! Amazing job! I absolutely loved it. Sequel reallly sounds good to me too. Or anything elso you write if Lex is anything like that! Lex and intense just go together and you nailed it perfectly. So please, more fan fiction! Just imagining a future fic sequel *shiver*

Your ardent admirer Lark

tigerbaby
12th February 2004, 01:21
Excellent job.

I love obsessive Lex because I believe it's the road that leads him to his future evilness and what's more sexy than someone who will go to all costs to get what he wants if only to realize that he ends up hurting himself in the end?

The intensity and drive of Lex is what draws me to him and makes him a complex puzzle that I want to solve.

Great job.

Clannadlvr
12th February 2004, 01:43
Very, very well done.

The thing I like the most about this piece, aside from your pitch perfect portrayal of obsessive!Lex, is the visceral nature of the writing. You can almost feel Chloe's innocent flirtations cutting into him- we all know that Lex is enough of a sadist to not just imagine those slash marks on a board- he feels them on his body.

Absolutely chilling and haunting. So well done! I know this will be added into my list of favorite vignettes!!

vardaquareien
12th February 2004, 04:08
Wow! That was a brilliant piece of writing! I loved your description of the board and the violent gashes and slashes that reflected Lex's emotions. I especially love this line:
Mind wandering, Lex considered the strikes that adorned his board. Or should he call them gashes. These weren’t simple marks made in white chalk. These were slashes, like someone had taken a knife and stabbed at the board, trying to make it bleed.It's really visually effective! The way that Lex stabs the board with the knife to make it bleed echoing the way that he feels Chloe's actions like a knife, cutting into him.

:worship2: Really brilliant writing! Well done! :clap:

georgee5
12th February 2004, 04:37
Obsessive Lex has been taking over the forums lately. But I have to agree with Clannadlvr, you get the feel of True Lex with this short story. :ohmy:

Susie Q
13th February 2004, 22:25
http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/wow1.gif I gotta hand it to you. You definitely know how to portray a creepy ass Lex :huh:. I can handle an intense, obsessive Lex, but that underlying sense of a weird, deranged, in-a world-of-his-own Lex is more than a little frightening http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/scared.gif. Yikes! Great piece of work this is. http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/clap3.gif

*Sidenote: must try to convince Danny to write a Chlex fic where Lex is not a borderline head-case.* :p

BlushingRose
13th February 2004, 22:48
Ummm...wow. Just wow.

I'm continually amazed by those of you who have an angst muse. One of my WIP's has just a bit of angst in the original outline...and it bothered me so much that I immediately sketched out a happier sequel.

Evil Lex just gives me the creeps. I know that before SV's run is over he'll be fully headed in that direction...but I want to enjoy good Lex and hope for the best as long as possible.

RA (the eternal optimist...)

Joy
14th February 2004, 05:36
WOW.

I like this one, dark... but very, very, good. I loved the way
you wrote Lex and his thoughts. This is a part of the evil Lex that
Clark would soon face... brilliant work! Would there be a sequel where
Lex does try to make Chloe pay...

Great work!
Joy

MagnusXXN
15th February 2004, 07:57
"There were so many ways to make her pay.

Maybe he’d try them all."

Oh, evil Lex! Letting his enter demon show, which is always fun. Loved this fic.

): )

Thats kinda....evil. I love it. I really hope you have plans to write a follow up, so we can see just what it turns out.

): )

tiff
16th February 2004, 12:10
Whoa creepy, so why is he still so hot? Because you wrote Lex so perfectly that even though he's obsessed and evil (not always a bad thing) he never loses his appeal.

gina
25th February 2004, 07:21
Wow, that was amazing. I really love your writing style. It was great how you contrasted an obssessive Lex who noticed and agonized over every little thing that Chloe did and then we see Chloe's perspective where she has no idea what effect she has on him. And those last two lines were way creepy, they gave me chills.

Excellent piece of work, so intense and powerful! Can't wait to read more from you!

scifichick774
25th February 2004, 16:43
But...but...the end? How can that be the end? That was the perfect setup for a nice, long, angsty story. MORE! I demand more!

Jen1388
25th February 2004, 16:47
Okay like WOAHA!

Very very creepy! I love me a dark creepy Lexy! :devil:

That last line really made me shiver...

Great writing... any hope of a sequel...? *closes her eyes in hope*

Krysia
16th February 2005, 00:52
WOW!
I love dark Lex and it's amazing how you can get inside his head.
i have no words...just WOW.

starmoon
15th March 2005, 08:55
I think it is a good story.

AlwaysPretending
1st October 2005, 14:54
Very dark - Lex is clearly not on the path of goodness and light. His obsessive ways are definitely loud and clear in this fic! It was a great read, thanks for sharing!

Kerry

spaceboi's pixie
1st December 2005, 02:18
wow great fic

starmoon
6th December 2005, 22:16
just read this again and i have to say i love it i would also love it if there was a sequel were lex goes after chloe but doesn't hurt her then in the end they end up together. i have a feeling that if a sequel is written lex will do whatever it takes to get chloe and keep her weather she likes it or not which would be cool as long as chloe didn't get hurt.

Kaimore
11th December 2005, 04:40
Great. Obbsasive Lex is just a tad scary. Maybe a sequel?

stupiderthnu
10th January 2006, 16:32
This was fantastic, it really leaves an impression on the reader and stays with them.

Kikina
10th January 2006, 19:25
Love this :blinkkiss ! Especially the way you wrote Lex´s character.It´s great. Hope to read more stories from you soon ;)

cece78
3rd February 2006, 08:11
Wow that was a great descriptive and vivid story, I also hope that there is a sequel in the works.

persephone47
7th February 2006, 05:17
That's a good story, but you can't end it there!

somethingeasy
8th May 2006, 14:12
This was one scary, terrifying story. The images you invoked were beyond chilling. Quite easily one of my favourite short stories (so I'm a sick puppy, sue me).

I would love to read a sequel. Or perhaps some more stories in this style. I also loved your 'Night Visits' and 'Choices in the Dark'. All of them were addictive, like coffee flavoured dark chocolate :D

darkangel
23rd September 2006, 04:02
Scary, obsessive Lex is hott and much preferred to the idiot they have on smallville.

somethingeasy
3rd December 2006, 15:58
Mind wandering, Lex considered the strikes that adorned his board. Or should he call them gashes. These weren’t simple marks made in white chalk. These were slashes, like someone had taken a knife and stabbed at the board, trying to make it bleed.

I loved ALL your dark stories, but this one always struck me as the most chilling. Perhaps it's because how Lex maintains his calm demeanor in casual settings while he's contemplating such horribly vivid violent thoughts and fantasies.

The image of the imaginary board that you painted here. It was so real, and so vivid. I could actually imagine Lex carrying one around in his psychotically addled mind. I would actually feel the weight of the board, and the texture of the gashes made on it.

Of course, it wasn’t fair. She didn’t know the rules of the game. She didn’t even know they were playing. Or what would happen when she lost.

Lex wasn’t sure what would happen either. He just knew the weight in his chest was getting heavier, and angrier. All of her innocent little betrayals had cut deep enough to make him bleed inside, and there were so many ways to make her pay. He knew because he’d spent hours dreaming, counting. They were stark and vivid, his constant companions through those long nights when he couldn’t sleep.

When the board was full, he wondered which one he’d choose.

Somehow, even the thought of Lex sneaking into Chloe's bedroom to watch her sleep (Night Visits, Choices in the Dark) doesn't compare with the terrifying idea of him being able to HIDE his nature so well. So well that, despite how much time she spends around him, Chloe has absolutely NO idea how obsessed he is... or how much danger she is in around his presence.

“Don’t worry about it.” He smiled, but it didn’t seem to reach his eyes. In fact he seemed a little angry.

Of course he does, Sullivan, she thought. You almost bowled the man over.

Chloe stepped back until his hand fell away from her arm. She was surprised to feel her arm throbbing. Absently, she rubbed her bicep. She could almost feel the imprint of Lex’s hand on her flesh.

Then again, by grabbing her, he’d kept her from falling on her butt, so she wasn’t going to complain.

SCARY! terrifying! chilling! Horrifying! Even the little clues that he DOES happen to give away as rationalized with reasonable explanations.

Lex took a deep breath, breathing in the scent that lingered on the air. It was citrusy and sweet, full of light and energy. Just like her.

Turning, he watched her hurry back to the table. Back to the boy with the wide eyes and fresh face. And the weight in his chest grew heavier. There was another stab deep inside, drawing more blood.

There were so many ways to make her pay.

Maybe he’d try them all.

I loved this final segment of the fic. How the stabs and gashes that were being made on the imaginary board were ALSO being mirrored deep within his heart, mind and body. His obsessions with Chloe are inflicting more harm on himself than anyone else, but it's only a matter of time before he starts 'sharing the pain'.

One hell of a scary ficlet, and I do wish you'd write some more. All your writing has had this visceral, grainy and dark texture that I've never had the pleasure if experiencing in another fic. And I would LOVE to see more of your work in the future.

Have you ever considered trying your hand at a longer Dark-Chlex fic? You did very well with 'Night Visits' and it's sequel.

trixie mcbimbo
3rd December 2006, 20:17
Wow. This was fan-fucking-tastic!

blacktears
10th January 2007, 20:50
It seam to me that Lex is very jealouse of the farm boy because he got all chloe attention. Anyway Chloe better with Lex because he seam to like her. Maybe one day she will see that there are one man who realy what her and his name is Lex. Good story!!!

Rachet
30th April 2010, 21:30
i dont like dark that much but enjoyed your fic anyway

maja
11th May 2010, 10:02
This was intense and so good! WOW!

chickie
20th May 2010, 07:16
i love it : )

meeaz
22nd May 2010, 21:05
Very scary! Obsessive Lex is one thing, but this one just seems insane. Regardless, this was very well done.

FarrahLea
9th July 2010, 18:21
Okay, so I totally love this obsesive and dark Lex. Love your take on this. This is one of the best short stories that I've read in awhile.

Thanks for posting! :-)

SouthernChlex
21st January 2011, 01:04
That's it? That's it!? NO NO NO! We want more. I'll start a petition if need be.

emms14
21st January 2011, 05:21
Sounds like Lex is getting a little psychotically obsessive...it's kind of sexy ;) Great story!!

-emms14

Branchris21
20th February 2011, 22:49
Scary Lex = Uber Hot

LEXSUPERFAN
23rd March 2011, 18:20
Wonderful.
WOW dark Lex, I love how he is obsessed with Chloe.
I would love to read a sequel.

redk-is-sexy
2nd April 2011, 11:37
Wow Lex is so intense and I just want to scream at Chloe "How can you be so blind!" seriously how can she not notice Lex watching her.

skyblue78
10th October 2011, 16:31
Really great story! Would love to see a sequel...

JodiMelville
22nd April 2013, 21:58
Such a great dark, obsessive Lex. Love it!

sullivan&luthor4life
29th July 2013, 07:07
Scary lex is sexy lex ;)

Ami Rose
7th October 2013, 13:18
Pore Lex