PDA

View Full Version : The last hope (PG) completed

A-u-r-o-r-a
2nd January 2004, 16:34
Disclaimer - i have nothing to do with Smallville OR the last unicorn (brilliant film!!!)
Notes - if you dont believe in magic or myths then this is not for you :) i was just reminising one day about my favourite film and remembered that the unicorn is a symbol of hope. :heart: This i think, will be a bit of a marmite fic (love/hate) but whatever feedback it gets i hope some people enjoy it :glow: :hush:
Rating: PG

~~~~~~~

On her way home Chloe noticed sleepily that the first breath of winter was icing the flowers along the hedgerow. She looked to the north, and a pale moon was rising. The stars shimmered in the sky as if they were alive. Giving a little shiver inside her coat she huddled herself together and continued to walk, crunching the grass underneath her feet as she went.

She was thinking heavy thought again. Thought of Clark, thoughts of Lana, thoughts of Lex. Of how they seemed to fit together in a determined future, leaving her behind. She opened a soggy gate to the entrance of the forest alongside Clark’s farm. Looking over her shoulder as she closed the gate, she could see Clark’s bedroom illuminated in a warm glow, and two shadowy figures were staring out of the window.

Chloe pulled out her gloves and put them on hastily. The forest was cold, but the path ran close to Clark’s fence so she didn’t feel much need for worry. There were icy twigs and branches under he feet.
There were sparkled spider webs spun over her head in the trees and intertwined in the fence corners. She noticed all these things with a gentle gaze; the forest was more beautiful than she’d ever noticed… Something was different

Walking out into the open air a little, the trees subsided to let a wider path through the darkness. She glanced up to see a flock of birds flapping away in formation over her head towards the farm as her breath came in foggy little clouds that warmed her face for a while, then vanished into the air.

The moon was wonderfully bright that evening, so much so that Chloe felt her pace slow a little as she stared at it, it gave the forest an kind of blue haze to its shadows, but again, she felt that something was different

Feeling a little uncertain of herself now, Chloe continued walking through the forest until she could see the rolling hills in the distance. She felt her feet brush past something, glancing down she saw the drooping snowdrops wobble as she past them. Suddenly the thoughts of Lex and Clark seemed to heavy for her to comprehend anymore, they seemed to fade away into a very distant part of her mind, as if they were being put aside for a while.

The forest seemed that it was dying in the cold, Chloe shivered a little but her ears pricked a little at the sound of a branch being broken underfoot
She turned around slowly, trembling a little, she could see something in the distance, a brilliant glow of white about it, it was sparkling through the trees as it came closer towards her.

Chloe’s eyes were as wide as she could make them, her hands dropped to her sides in awe, as the clouds overhead cast a shadow on her face. She was staring, unbelieving, at a unicorn.

She stood still and firm on the brown earth, nodding her head every now and again in that familiar way that horses do. Chloe’s breathing was so harsh as if she were about to break down into tears. This had to be wrong. This had to be a horse

As if she read Chloe’s thought, the unicorn looked at her square in the eye, her black eyes sparkling in the moonlight, and began to gently walk towards her.
Chloe backed away, now sure that if she could muster the energy, she would cry. Once she felt the fence behind her she gripped it in her hands as hard as she could. Although she could easily climb over and run away, something in her head told her to stay.

The clouds overhead moved gently through the wind to let the moonlight cast down on them both. Chloe’s face was now streamed with tears, unaware that she had cried them. What she saw before was more beautiful than she had ever seen. The unicorn’s grace cast a calm over her. Her breathing became quiet, and she gently wiped at her face.
Why did she come to her now? After all those years as a child longing to see a unicorn? All those years of believing? Why was her mind playing tricks with her now?

“It’s a mare…” Chloe whispered to herself “…A white mare”

The unicorn, more human looking than any horse, gave Chloe an indignant gaze and swished its lion-like tail angrily. She was no common horse.

“Ok!” Chloe breathed at her, instantly sorry. Chloe was not yet an adult; she could still believe in magic, believe in the things that would keep her young for years, and she believed now. This was a unicorn.
Her fingers hurt from gripping the fence so hard, carefully Chloe let go and considered reaching out for her, but a feeling of majesty surrounded this creature, she may touch when the unicorn gave permission

Then the unicorn began to walk again towards her, so lightly that it gave the illusion that she weighed of nothing but air. Her white mane flew around her neck in the breeze; no hoof prints were made in the earth. She was coming towards Chloe, who was staring at her glistening horn that sparkled dangerously.
Now she came to a standstill, her mane gently laid to rest against her. She had to be a meter away. Chloe choked on a lump in her throat.

Gracefully, she lowered her head and pointed her sparkling horn directly at Chloe’s heart.

Chloe didn’t understand and for a moment feared for her life, but after a moment of sincerity past, she felt the weight of her feelings drift out of her like water draining upwards. It was as if emotions were trickling through her and up towards the pale moon above. To have this weight lifted, all the feelings of Clark just vanished. She had never felt so happy.

At some point Chloe closed her eyes. When she opened them she found the forest dark, quiet, and empty, and she felt very alone. The unicorn had vanished. Chloe whipped herself around many times, looking desperately for any sign of where she went. Then, feeling a touch of madness, she wondered if she was really losing her marbles…a mythical creature had just appeared to her out of the darkness to teach her a lesson.

But no matter how she looked at it, Chloe certainly felt uplifted, as if she suddenly had realised that the things we worry over are of such trivia in the long run that once they’re gone, you miss them not nearly enough as you thought they were worth. Of course this meant Clark to her. She turned around and looked out towards Clark’s farm, resting her hands on the damp fence.

In the shadow of the forest, she smiled to herself. She looked to the north once more to see the pale moon becoming uncovered by the hazy clouds. The stars seemed to sparkle their applause. And Chloe was grinning to herself, hugged her jacket tight around her, and continued on her walk home.

Over the meadows, back from her path, in the Luther mansion, beside the fireplace, Lex awoke with a start. Dreaming of Chloe Sullivan of all people, and dark magical forests, of magic and wilderness…not the kind of dream he was used to
He yawned, stretched and got up out of his armchair to look out of the window. In the distance, he saw something sparkling on the rolling hillside as Lex narrowed his brow, trying to focus on what he saw. He swung the window open to be hit by a blast of whistling wind. He squinted into the distance but saw nothing other than a brilliance of white light linger for a moment, then vanish into the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~

When the last eagles flies, over the last, crumbling mountain
And the last Lion roars, at the last, dusty fountain
In the shadow of the forest,
Though she may be old and worn,
They will stare; Unbelieving,
At the last, Unicorn.

When the first breath of winter, through the flowers, is icing.
And you look to the north, and a pale moon is rising,
And it seems like all is dying and,
Would leave the world to mourn.
In the distance, hear her laughter,
Of the last, Unicorn

When the last moon has cast, over the last, star of morning.
And the future has past, without even a last, desperate warning
Then look into the sky where through,
The clouds have passed their scorn.
Look and see her,
How she sparkles,
It’s the last, Unicorn

:crygreen:

edited to add in rating

asharnanae
2nd January 2004, 17:35
:biggrin: I love that movie too!!!!!!! Loved the way you wove it in. And the promice of hope and new beginings to both chloe and lex was just wonderful. :worship2:

scifichick774
2nd January 2004, 18:25
Oh wow. That was amazing. Loved it. :)

autumngold
2nd January 2004, 20:40
I loved how the unicorn took away her feelings for Clark, all of the pain and anger!! What a beautiful story!! :chlexsign3:

hfce
2nd January 2004, 23:18
Interesting....

Hope ;)

Béatrice
3rd January 2004, 02:11
It was magnificient!! :clap: :clap:

starmoon
29th April 2005, 04:05
that was amazing please write a sequel were they end up together like they should.

TranslucentDarkness
11th June 2006, 06:33
That was truly great, and a unique idea! I love the movie The Last Unicorn and that fic really did it justice. I loved how you incorporated the song into the story. The lyrics were a bit off, but that doesn't really matter. That story was really great! Though I hope Lex and Chloe have a happier ending than the movie did! *sob, sob*

Alizaleven
5th July 2006, 08:02
Oh wow! That was soo amazing, I really loved it :D It isn't like anything I've read before.. and i loved how Chloe reacted to the Unicorne. great job :)