PDA

View Full Version : The Oblation (PG)

beautiful N' Bruised
9th December 2003, 01:33
Summary: It all comes down to strength. And she knows he can’t afford any weakness.
Warnings: I’m opting out, but don’t come crying to me afterwards…
Rating: PG

To Aimee, whose idea I stole. Thanks for lending your brain, babe! *It’s* still on ice to you, and will get past customs somehow, dammit!

The Oblation

His eyes were so bruised as he looked at her. He brushed back a lock of her hair, and she could swear he was shaking.

“You’ll be safe here; no-one knows your location… You didn’t tell anyone did you? Not even Lana or Pete, or any of your friends at the Planet? Chloe..?”

He was getting himself worked up again. She cupped his face with her hands, and drew him close for a reassuring kiss. Their lips met, brief yet tender, over the threshold of the hotel room. Lex had been trying to leave for hours.

“We’ve been through this, Lex. I’ll be fine,” she told him calmly.

He touched her again, his hands slipping over skin, hair and clothing. Once upon a time she would have thought he was marking his territory. But now she could see he was convincing himself she was real. Perhaps memorising. “I’m going to miss you.”

“I know.”

“I love you.”

“I know.”

“Chloe -”

“I love you too, Lex. Okay? And I forgive you everything.”

“Oh god, I’m so sorry.” His arms wrapped around her, strong and solid.

But it was Chloe who was doing the comforting; who had been for a long time.

When he pulled away to look at her, she saw that the Lex she had fallen in love with was back, if only for a moment. The light in his eyes shone fierce, and strong, and cold. “I promise I’ll do everything in my power to make things right. I’ll die before your father’s murder goes unavenged.”

“Things can never be made right,” she whispered.

“What?”

“Lex, I’m serious. No vengeance. And no dying. I want you to live. I want you to survive your father, and I want you to become the greatest president that this country has known.”

His fingers interlaced with hers, squeezing them in an act of understanding. “We’ll both have our dreams.”

You are my dreams. “Go, Lex.” she told him.

Once again, he hesitated, unwilling to leave his irresolute position in the doorway. “Maybe it would be best if I stayed with you. We can’t trust any bodyguards, but that doesn’t mean you should be alone.”

“And leave LexCorp to be run by those hypocrites who would gladly eat your flesh to please Lionel?”

She found herself enveloped in a fierce hug. “I couldn’t bear to lose you, Chloe.” He whispered against her hair.

“I’ll be with you always, Lex.” A few traitorous tears escaped, trailing her cheeks with wetness as a testament to her own infallibilities.

“And I’ll love you forever,” he replied.

Letting go of her, he stepped back, and Chloe closed the door, bolting it against the sight of the man she loved.

It was all about strength. And the man she had fallen in love with for his very ability to rise from the ashes of the fiercest blaze... she had made him weak and vulnerable.

And she hated it…

But him… Him she loved more than life itself. She would do anything for him. Including, if it was needed, set him free. She was strong; let no-one doubt that. And love made her stronger.

She took a long bath, soaking her skin in exotic fragrances that filled the bathroom with their scent, and made her heady. She laughed, thinking of how much she loved him. Carefully she dressed in the wedding gown that fate had kept her from wearing. She kept her make-up soft and subtle.

It was working it’s magic already. She could feel the change in herself. Slow and comfortable. Warm and right. It had been done hours ago, so that she could not lose her nerve. She could see now that that had never been an issue.

All that was left was to wait.

Pillows, comfy soft. A bed that they had only briefly shared. A life she had lived, in heart and soul and mind. If not reality.

Her breath was shallow and slow, now. But the smile was firm on her lips. She felt so serene.

Letter. Check.

I’ll watch over you, forever.

Last breath. Eyes close. Goodbye.

-----------------------------

Inspired by Tigerbaby’s drabble on page six of the drabble thread. (http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/index.php?showtopic=1148&st=100&#entry36010)

tigerbaby
9th December 2003, 01:46
I am so proud of myself. I inspired someone today. Yay!! *does happy dance*

Interesting that you have Chloe as the stonger one here. Not that I doubt it for a second but can you imagine what their sheer strength of will would be like if the SV writers ever got a clue and put them together permanently?

I love that Chloe is eerily calm while Lex's agitation clearly shows through. She's made her peace with what fate has dealt her while Lex is still trying desparately to rail against it.

I also *love* the significance of her outfit. I won't spoil the ending but Lex *is* her heart and she knows it too.

Wonderful job babes! Hugs and kisses to Jack ;)

Clannadlvr
9th December 2003, 02:15
Eeep! wow...I also really love Chloe being strong, the rock, even as she knows she needs to make the ultimate decision.

Wow, chilling.

sylvia
9th December 2003, 04:29
Damnit. That just ruined my day.

But it was so good.

gina
9th December 2003, 06:43
Wow, so sad and beautiful. I adored this and I love your writing!

Fabulous job!

Gea
9th December 2003, 11:17
Sigh! Read it twice already.

Wow. :ohmy:

...off to read it again...

Gaia

Béatrice
9th December 2003, 13:56
Congratulation!!! :biggrin:
You made a magnificient work! :worship2: It's quite sad but so beautiful :wub:

autumngold
9th December 2003, 23:20
Your stories are always so sad and so good! I think it's beautiful the sacrifice Chloe is making for Lex, so that he will be able to be strong!! It's just sad what the sacrifice had to be!! :chlexsign3:

happy bunny
10th December 2003, 00:45
And another wonderful story by you.

I love that Chloe's so willing to give everything up so that he may succeed, so that his dreams can be accomplished. It's so sweet, albeit in a slightly twisted way.

Loved it, Sara, awesome job.

Susie Q
10th December 2003, 07:17
Wow. :ohmy: I guess no sacrifice was too high as far as Chloe was concerned. That was one hell of an offering. It was really beautiful and kind of romantic in morbid, chill-worthy sort of way. But that’s all good. Wonderful job as usual. http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/emoticons0/images/icon_biggrin.gif

scifichick774
10th December 2003, 15:42
:ohmy:

Oh, wow. Just dark and lovely. Wonderful.

Catheryne
11th December 2003, 12:28
Oh that was so so sad *sniffle*

cresmix
5th February 2004, 14:05
:crygreen: :crygreen: :crygreen:

starmoon
29th April 2005, 03:54
that was so sad but chloe was great. i wish things could have been different.

~*~Tasha~*~
23rd June 2006, 23:44
This was so sad. Oh man, was it sad. I reread it several times to be sure I was reading what I was reading. {Frowns}